看 Big Bang Theory 学英语第一季17集:The Tangerine Factor
-Sheldon:Wo de zing shi Sheldon.
我的字是 Sheldon。
-Howard:No, it's "Wo de ming zi shi Sheldon."
不,应该是"我的名字是Sheldon"。
-Sheldon:Wo de ming zi shi Sheldon.
我的名字是 Sheldon。
-Howard:What's this?
这是什么?
-Sheldon:That's what you did.
那不是跟你学的吗?
I assumed as in a number of languages, that the gesture was part of the phrase.
assume:猜想 gesture:手势 phrase:语句
我以为在许多种语言当中手势也是表达的一部分。
-Howard:Well, it's not.
好吧,这里不是。
-Sheldon:How am I supposed to know that?
suppose:假定 be supposed to:应该,被期望
我怎么会知道那个?
As the teacher, it's your obligation to separate
obligation:义务,责任 separate:分开
作为一个老师,将所教内容
your personal idiosyncrasies from the subject matter.
idiosyncrasies:习性,癖好 subject matter:主旨
与你的特异习惯分开是你的责任。
-Howard:You know, I'm really glad you decided to learn Mandarin.
Mandarin:普通话
知道吗,你决定学普通话我真的非常高兴。
-Sheldon:Why?
为什么?
-Howard:Once you're fluent,
fluent:流畅的
等你说流利了,
you'll have a billion more people to annoy instead me.
annoy:干扰,使烦恼
你可以去骚扰十多亿人,我就解放了。
-Leonard:Hey.
嘿。
-Sheldon:Mei du lui zi.
梅毒驴子。
-Howard:You just called Leonard a syphilitic donkey.
syphilitic:梅毒病人 donkey:驴
你刚刚把Leonard叫成了一头患了性病的驴子。
-Sheldon:My apologies, Leonard. I'm only as good as my teacher.
很抱歉Leonard,我无法超越我的老师的水平。
-Leonard:Why are you learning Chinese?
你为什么要学中文?
-Sheldon:I believe the Szechuan Palace
Szechuan:四川省(中国) palace:宫殿 【Szechuan Palace:是一家美国中餐馆的名字】
我认为老四川餐馆 (亚利桑那州凤凰城44街668号的中餐馆)。
has been passing off orange chicken as tangerine chicken,
pass off:冒充 orange:橙子 tangerine:柑橘
一直在用橙皮鸡柳冒充陈皮鸡柳 (可以说就是同一种食物),
and I intend to confront them.
intend:打算 confront:使对质
我打算去和他们对质。
-Leonard:If I were you, I'd be more concerned about what they're passing off as chicken.
concern:关心
如果我是你,我会更关心他们用什么东西冒充了鸡柳。
-Penny:I need to use your window.
借你们的窗子用一下。
-Leonard:Oh, hey. Yeah, No, sure. Go ahead.
哦,嘿,耶,不,当然,请便。
-Penny:Hey, jerk face, you forgot your iPod!
jerk:肌肉痉挛,抽搐
嘿,变态,你忘了你的iPod!
-Leonard:What's going on?
出什么事了?
-Penny:Oh, I'll tell you what's going on.
噢,让我告诉你出了什么事。
That stupid self-centered bastard wrote about our sex life in his blog!
self-centered :自我中心的 bastard:坏蛋,混蛋 blog:博客
那个自以为是的蠢货把我们床事写到他的博客上!
Drop dead, you stupid self-centered bastard!
Drop dead:(美口)去死吧 Drop:使落下,投下
砸死你,你这个自以为是的混蛋蠢货!
Thank you.
谢谢。
-Sheldon:Okay, where were we?
好,我们讲到哪了?
-Howard:Not now. I have a blog to find.
现在不行,我要找一个博客。
-Leonard:Penny, are you okay?
Penny 你还好吗?
-Penny:I'm fine, Leonard. Just go away.
我没事,Leonard走开。
-Leonard:Look, I understand that breaking up with someone can be very painful...
break up:分手 painful:痛苦的
听着,我明白分手是很痛苦的...
-Penny:Go away!
走开!
-Leonard:Okay. Feel better! Bye.
好吧,快好起来!拜。
She doesn't want to talk.
她不想说话。
-Sheldon:Not surprising.
不奇怪啊。
Penny's emotional responses originate in the primitive portion of the brain
emotional:感情的,情绪的 response:反应 originate in:产生于 primitive:原始的 portion:部分 brain:脑
Penny的情感反应起始于大脑的原脑部份,
known as the amygdale, while speech is centered
amygdale:杏仁核
也就是杏仁体(小脑的一部分) 而语言中枢位于
in the much more recently developed neo-cortex.
developed:使发展 neo-cortex:新皮层
相对近期进化出来的新皮层。
The former can easily overpower the later,
former :前者 overpower:压服
前者很容易制服后者,
giving scientific credence to the notion of being "rendered speechless."
credence:相信 notion:观念,看法 rendered speechless:失语 render:致使 speechless:(由于强烈的感情,震惊等)说不出话的
这也是"失语"现象的科学依据。
Or maybe she just doesn't want to talk.
或者她只是不想说话。
-Raj:Hey, look, I found an iPod.
iPod:苹果手机
嘿,瞧我捡到了一个iPod。
-Howard:It's smashed beyond repair. What are you gonna do with it?
smashed:砸碎的 beyond repair:无法修补 gonna:going to
摔得稀巴烂修不好了,你准备拿它做什么?
-Raj:What else? Sell it on eBay as "slightly used."
eBay:易趣网 slightly:轻微的,稍稍
还能干什么? 在易趣上卖呗,写上"只用过几次"。
-Leonard:It was Penny's boyfriend's. They broke up.
那是Penny的男朋友的,他们分手了。
-Howard:Apparently, he posted intimate details of their physical relationship on his blog,
Apparently:显然的 post:张贴 intimate:亲密的 details:细节 physical:身体的 relationship:关系 blog:博客
显然,他把他们身体的亲密关系的私密细节都写在博客上了,
which I cannot find anywhere.
可我到处都找不着。
-Leonard:You know what? I'm gonna go back and try talking to her again.
gonna= going to
知道吗? 我要再去找她,试着和她说说话。
-Howard:Good idea. Sit with her, hold her, comfort her.
hold:抱住 comfort:安慰
好主意,坐在她身边,拥住她,安慰她。
And if the moment feels right, see if you can cop a feel.
cop a feel:感觉
如果时机对的话,看你能不能"感觉感觉"她。
-Leonard:I'm not going to do that, Howard.
我不会那么做的Howard。
-Sheldon:I'm m not aware of any social convention that requires you to intervene at all.
be aware of:意识到 convention:习俗 require:需要 intervene:干涉
我不认为有任何社会习俗要求你去插手这事。
-Leonard:What about "damsel in distress"?
damsel:少女 distress:痛苦
那 "困苦中的年轻女人"呢? (1937年上映美国电影歌舞/爱情/喜剧)
-Sheldon:12-c-century code of chivalry? Not exactly current.
chivalry:(中世纪的)骑士 code:法规,章程 current:现在的
12世纪的骑士精神? 那压根不是现代的。
You'd also have to be knighted for that to apply.
knight:封…为爵士 apply:申请
再说你得先是个授爵的骑士。
-Leonard:I don't care. She's upset. I'm going over there.
upset:伤心的,心烦的
我不在乎,她很伤心,我要过去。
-Howard:Remember to sit on your hands a bit so they're warm.
记得把手放在屁股下面暖一会儿。
-Leonard:I'm her friend. I'm not going to take advantage of her vulnerability.
take advantage of:利用 vulnerability:弱点
我是她的朋友,我不会趁虚而入的。
-Howard:So you're saying if in the depths of despair
depth:深度 despair:绝望
那你是说,在她深深地陷入绝望时,
she throws herself at you and demands you take her
demand:要求,需要
她把自己交给你,希望你能占有她,
right there, right now, you'll just walk away?
就那样的情形下,你会一走了之?
-Leonard:I said I'm her friend, not a gay friend.
gay:同性恋
我说我是她朋友不是同性恋闺密。
Hey, listen, I know you said that
嘿,听着,我知道你说过了,
you didn't want to talk...
你不想说话。
-Penny:I don't.
我不想。
-Leonard:Sorry.
对不起。
-Penny:Wait.
等等。
-Leonard:Wait? Did you say "wait"?
等等? 你刚刚说"等等"?
-Penny:Tell me the truth.
跟我说实话。
Am I just an idiot who picks giant losers?
idiot:傻子,白痴 giant:特大的 losers:失败者
我是不是那种专挑些烂人交往的蠢货?
-Leonard:No, no.
不,不。
-Penny:Okay.
好的。
So I pick good guys, but turn them into losers?
那么就是我挑的人不错,是我把他们变成烂人了?
-Leonard:Of course not.
当然不是。
-Penny:Well, it's got to be one or the other. Which is it?
好吧,肯定是其一之一,到底是哪个?
-Leonard:I'm sorry. What were the choices again?
choices:选择
对不起,选项是什么来着?
-Penny:I really thought Mike was different.
我真的以为Mike不一样。
I thought he was sensitive and smart.
sensitive:有细腻感情的 smart:聪明的
我以为他很感性又聪明
I mean, not you smart-- normal non-freaky smart.
normal:正常的 freaky:捉摸不定的
我的意思是,不是你那种聪明-- 普通的而不是极端的那种聪明。
-Leonard:Yeah. No, sure.
是啊,当然不是。
-Penny:You know, and then he just goes and has to humiliate me
humiliate:羞辱
你知道然后他就非得羞辱我,
by writing about me on his blog so the entire world can read it.
entire:全部的,整体的
在他的博客上写我的事情,这样全世界都知道了。
-Leonard:I tell you, it's not all that easy to find.
我跟你说其实不是那么容易找的。
-Penny:Yeah, really? Well, my friends at work found it,
是啊,真的么? 我的同事朋友看到了,
my sister found it.
我姐姐看到了。
Judging by my email, a number of prisoners
Judging by:根据…来判断 prisoners:囚徒
从我的邮件地址判断,
at the Michigan State Penitentiary found it.
Michigan:密歇根州 Penitentiary:监狱
密歇根州立监狱的一些犯人也找到了。
-Leonard:What exactly did this guy write?
这家伙到底写了些什么?
Not that I need to know the details of your sex life.
details:细节 sex life:性生活
我不是想知道你性生活的细节,
I just thought... Never mind.
我只是觉得... 别管它了。
-Penny:No, you know what?
不你知道吗?
Might as well read it. Everybody else has.
Might as well:不妨
不如看看吧,别人都看了。
Go ahead.
去吧。
Oh, God, I just feel so betrayed and embarrassed!
betray:背叛,出卖 embarrass:使窘迫,使局促不安
哦,上帝啊,我觉得如此被背叛和羞辱!
I just want to crawl into a hole and die!
crawl:爬 hole:洞
真想爬到一个洞里死了算了!
-Leonard:Okay. Well, you know this isn't that bad.
恩,我觉得好像没有那么差劲啊。
It just paints the picture of a very affectionate woman, who's open
paint:描述 picture:画面 affectionate:柔情的
只是描述了一个非常深情的女人很大胆地在一些
to expressing her affection in non-traditional locales.
affection:爱 non-traditional:非传统的 locale:场所,地点
非传统的地方表现她的爱。
-Penny:Oh, God!
哦,上帝!
-Leonard:Elevators, parks, movie theaters.
Elevator:电梯 movie theater:电影院
电梯、公园、电影院。
Out of curiosity, is this "subway" the transportation system
Out of curiosity:出于好奇心 curiosity:好奇 subway:地铁 transportation system:运输系统
我很好奇的是,这个"地铁"是指交通运输系统
or Subway the sandwich shop?
sandwich:三明治
还是那家叫"地铁"的三明治店?
-Penny:Sandwich shop.
三明治店。
-Leonard:Doesn't that violate the health code?
violate:违反 code:法典,章程
会不会违反了卫生法?
-Penny:No, at the sub shop we were only making out.
在那家店里我们只是亲热了一番。
-Leonard:Ah, okay.
啊,好吧。
But my point is that you have absolutely no reason to be embarrassed.
point:观点 absolutely:绝对的 embarrassed:尴尬
但我觉得你完全没有理由觉得尴尬。
-Penny:Really? Do you think I overreacted?
overreact:反应过度
真的? 你觉得我反应过度了吗?
-Leonard:Maybe a little.
也许有一点。
-Penny:Because I do that. I do overreact.
因为我确实是,我确实反应过度了。
Maybe I should call Mike and apologize.
也许我应该打给Mike向他道歉。
-Leonard:No, no, no. That, that would be under-reacting.
under-reacting:反应不够有力
不,不,不,那,那样的反应就太消极了。
He did break the implied confidentiality of the bedroom.
implied:含蓄的 confidentiality:保密
他确实违反了男女关系中隐含的卧室保密条例。
And in your case, the elevator, parks and fast food franchise.
case:案例 fast food:速食,快餐 franchise:经销商
在你的案例中,则是电梯、公园和快餐店的保密条例。
-Penny:OK, You're right. I should just say "I am done with him."
好吧,你是对的,我应该只跟他说"我和他玩完了"。
-Leonard:Yes, you should. Go ahead, say it.
是的,应该这样,就这样说。
-Penny:But I never gave the man a chance to explain.
explain:解释
但我从来没有给他解释的机会。
-Leonard:What is there to explain? It's all right here.
有什么好解释的? 全都写在这儿了。
The betrayal!
betrayal:出卖
背叛!
-Penny:No, you were right the first time.
不,你一开始是对的。
This is a man who loves me, but in his own stupid way,
这是一个爱我的男人,只是他的方式有点蠢,
which is trying to show people how he feels.
他只是在试图让人们了解他的感受。
-Leonard:I'm pretty sure I never said that.
我很确定我没那么说过。
-Penny:No, you did better than that. You helped me see it on my own.
see :明白 on my own:独自的
不,你做得比那要好得多,你帮助我自己弄明白了。
-Leonard:Oh, good for me.
哦,我真不错。
-Leonard:Where are you going?
你要去哪?
-Penny:I'm going over to Mike's. Leonard, thank you so much.
我要到Mike那去,Leonard太感谢你了。
-Leonard:Oh, sure.
哦,应该的。
Huh, maybe I am her gay friend.
gay:同性恋的
呵,也许我就是她的同性恋闺密。
-Sheldon:Howard, I'm going to need another Mandarin lesson.
Mandarin:普通话
Howard我需要再上一堂中文课。
I obviously didn't make my point with those people.
obviously:显然
很明显我没能向那群人清楚地表达我的意思。
-Howard:For God's sake, Sheldon, if you don't like the tangerine chicken,
tangerine:柑橘
看在上帝的份上,Sheldon如果你不喜欢陈皮鸡柳,
don't order the tangerine chicken.
那就别点陈皮鸡柳。
-Sheldon:I like tangerine chicken, I'm just not getting tangerine chicken.
我喜欢陈皮鸡柳,我只是买不到陈皮鸡柳。
-Leonard:Can we please change the subject?
subject:主题
我们能不能换个话题?
-Raj:Sure.
当然。
Tell us again how you screwed up and got Penny back together
screwed up:搞砸
再说一遍你是怎么脑残地把Penny和她前男友
with her old boyfriend.
劝回到一块去的。
-Leonard:Just roll the dice.
roll:转动 dice:骰子
掷你的骰子吧。
-Raj:Enslaved by warlocks. Stay here until you roll two, four or six.
Enslave:奴役 warlock:术士
被黑暗术士奴役直到掷出2、4 或6方能前进。
-Leonard:She was mad at him!
be mad at:对…愤怒
她本来很恨他的!
She was done with him!
她和他彻底完了的!
The relationship was broken beyond repair,
beyond repair:无法恢复
他们的关系已经不可能修复了,
and I walked over there, and I fixed it.
fixed it:处理 fix:修理
结果我走过去,搞得他们和好了。
-Howard:Boy, that story gets better every time you hear ..
老兄,每次听那个故事都会觉得更精彩...
-Sheldon:Actually, I thought the first two renditions were far more compelling.
rendition:表演 compelling:引起兴趣的
事实上我觉得前两个版本更引人入胜一些。
Uh, previously, I felt sympathy for the Leonard character,
previously:先前 sympathy:同情 character:角色
呃,之前我觉得非常同情Leonard这个角色,
now I just find him to be whiny and annoying.
whiny:好发牢骚的,嘀咕不停的 annoying:恼人的,讨厌的
现在我只觉得他又唠叨又烦人。
-Leonard:Eat your tangerine chicken.
吃你的陈皮鸡柳去。
-Sheldon:I'd love to, but I don' have tangerine chicken.
我很想但我根本没有陈皮鸡柳。
-Penny:Thank you so much for your stupid advice!
多亏了你愚蠢的建议!
-Raj:Incredible. You managed to screw up the screw-up.
Incredible:难以置信的 managed to:设法 screw up:把…搞砸 screw-up:一团糟
难以置信,你能把搞砸的事再搞砸一次。
-Leonard:I'm back.
我又来了。
-Penny:I'm sorry I yelled at you. It's not your fault.
yelled at:对…吼叫 fault:过错
对不起我冲你嚷嚷了,不是你的错。
-Leonard:What happened?
发生什么事了?
-Penny:Well, I went over to Mike's to make up with him.
make up:讲和
我到Mike家里去想跟他和好。
-Leonard:Yeah. Know, I know that part.
那个部分我知道。
-Penny:But he had already moved on.
但他已经有新开始了。
-Leonard:Already? That was quick.
已经? 真快啊。
-Penny:That's what I said to the woman who had her legs wrapped around his neck!
wrapped around:使缠绕 neck:脖子
我就是这么跟那个把腿缠在他脖子上的女人说的!
-Leonard:Oh, Penny, I am so Sorry.
Penny,真抱歉。
-Penny:How could he do that?!
他怎么能那样呢?!
-Leonard:Well, you know, you did throw an 80-gig iPod...
你知道,你的确把一个80G的iPod扔...
Yeah, no, how could he do that?
是啊,不,他怎么可以那样呢?
-Penny:I swear to God I am done with guys like that.
swear:发誓
我向上帝发誓我受够这种男人了。
You know, macho with the perfect body and the hair and the money.
macho:大男子气概的
体格健壮,毛发浓密,钱包鼓鼓的那种。
-Leonard:Yeah, that must get old quick.
是啊,那种人一定老得很快。
-Penny:You know, just once I would like to go out with someone
知道吗,我第一次觉得想跟那种
who is nice and honest and who actually cares about me.
honest:可靠的
体贴的、可靠的、真正关心我的人约会。
-Leonard:What about me?
我怎么样?
-Penny:What about you what?
什么你怎么样?
-Leonard:What about if you went out with me?
went out with:和…约会
你跟我约会怎么样?
-Penny:Are you asking me out?
你在约我出去?
-Leonard:Um, yes, I am...asking you out.
呃,是的,我...在约你出去。
-Penny:Wow.
哇噢。
-Leonard:I was just going off your comment about the nice guy...
comment:评论
我只是顺着你说的那种体贴的男人...
-Penny:No, I know, I got that. Yeah, totally.
不,我知道,我明白,完全明白。
-Leonard:you know, and honest.
你知道,还有可靠。
So, but... it's not a big deal.
那么,可是... 没什么的。
-Penny:Yes.
好的。
-Leonard:Yes what?
什么好的?
-Penny:Yes, I will go out with you.
好的,我愿意和你约会。
-Leonard:Really?
真的?
-Penny:Yeah. Why not? I mean, what do I have to lose?
是啊,为什么不呢? 我是说我又不会损失什么?
-Leonard:Yeah. That's the spirit.
是啊,这才是重点。
-Sheldon:Show me your citrus peels.
citrus:柑橘 peel:果皮
给我看看你的橘子皮。
Gei wo kan ni de jud zi pee.
给我看你诱的颤屁。
Show me your citrus peels.
给我看看你的橘子皮。
Gay wo kan ni de jud zi pee.
给我看你诱的颤屁。
Show me your...
给我看你的...
-Penny:Sheldon?
Sheldon?
-Sheldon:Ai yah!Xia si wo le.
哎呀!吓死我了。
-Penny:I'm sorry.
对不起。
Look, do you have a second?
second:一会儿
听着,你有空吗?
-Sheldon:A second what, pair of underwear?
underwear:内与
多余的什么,一套内衣? (a second也可解释为"多余")
-Penny:I was just wondering if I could talk to you.
wonder:想知道
我只是想和你谈谈。
It's about Leonard.
是关于Leonard。
-Sheldon:Why me?
为什么是我?
Why not Koothrappali or Wolowitz?
为什么不找Koothrappali 或者Wolowitz?
-Penny:Well, Raj can't talk to me unless he's drunk,
Raj除非喝醉酒不然没办法跟我说话,
and Wolowitz is, you know, disgusting.
disgusting:令人作呕的
而Wolowitz有点,你知道,有点恶心。
-Sheldon:Yes, I suppose he is
是的,我觉得也是。
-Penny:All I'm saying is, you know Leonard the best.
我只想说,你最了解Leonard。
-Sheldon:Not necessarily.
necessarily:必定的
不一定啊。
I'm often surprised by my lack of familiarity with Leonard.
lack:缺乏 familiarity:熟悉
我经常对我多么不了解Leonard而感到惊讶。
Just the other day I discovered he not only has a loofah,
the other day:前几天 loofah:丝瓜
就在前几天,我发现他不仅有一个丝瓜络,
he hides it.
hide:隐藏
还藏了起来。
Why do you suppose a man would be ashamed of having a loofah?
be ashamed of:惭愧
一个男人有个丝瓜络有什么好害羞的?
I, myself, prefer to have my excess epithelial cells
prefer to:较喜欢 excess:过量的 epithelial cells:上皮细胞 epithelial:上皮的
就我自己来说,我更喜欢多余的上皮细胞
slough off naturally, but I don't condemn
slough off:丢弃 naturally:自然地 condemn:谴责
自然脱落,但我也不会谴责
those who seek to accelerate the process.
seek:试图 accelerate:使加速 process:过程,进程
那些设法加速这一进程的人啊。
...and until recently I had no idea that despite his lactose intolerance,
lactose intolerance:乳糖不耐受(症) lactose:乳糖
...而且直到最近我才知道,他虽然患有乳糖耐受不良 (一种对奶制品不能消化吸收的先天性疾病)。
he can tolerate small amounts of non-fat ice cream
non-fat:脱脂的 ice cream:冰激凌
他却可以吃少量的脱脂冰激凌,
without producing a noxious gas that I maintain,
noxious gas:有毒气体 maintain:坚持
却不会产生那种气体。
in the right concentration, could be weaponize.
concentration:集中 weaponize:使武器化,这里指有伤害
我认为那种气体达到一定浓度时会有伤害性了。
-Penny:Leonard might come home.
Leonard可能快回来了。
Can we talk in my apartment?
能到我的公寓里谈吗?
-Sheldon:We're not done?
还没说完?
-Penny:No.
没有。
-Sheldon:Eh, why not?
哎呀,好吧。
We're already through the looking glass anyway.
through:通过 looking glass:窥镜
反正也不是没去过 ( "爱丽丝镜中奇遇"指Penny的房间)。
-Penny:Okay, so here's the thing...
好的,事情是这样的...
I guess you're aware that Leonard asked me out.
aware:知道
我猜你知道Leonard约我出去了。
-Sheldon:Well, he didn't actually say anything,
是的,他并没有说什么,
but when he came back to the apartment he was doing a dance that brought to mind
但他回到房间的时候,他跳的舞让我想起了
the happy hippos in Fantasia.
hippos:河马 Fantasia:幻想曲
沉浸在幻想曲中的快乐河马。
-Penny:Oh, that's nice.
那还挺窝心的。
Anyhow, the thing I wanted to talk to you about
无论如何,我想跟你谈谈,
is, you know, since Leonard and I have become friends...
关于你知道自从我和Leonard成为了好朋友...
I was just...
我只是...
You want to sit down?
你想做坐下么?
-Sheldon:Oh, I wish it were that simple.
simple:容易的,简单的
那么容易就好了。
See, I don't spend much time here,
瞧,我不经常来这,
and so I've never really chosen a place to sit.
所以我从没真正挑过一个坐的地方。
-Penny:Well, choose.
那挑啊。
-Sheldon:There are a number of options, and...
option:选择
有好几种选择,而且...
I'm really not familiar enough with the cushion densities,
familiar with:熟悉 cushion:垫子 densities:密度
我真的不熟悉这里垫子的密度,
air flow patterns and dispersion of sunlight
air flow:气流 patterns:形态 dispersion:散布 sunlight:阳光
气流形态和日光的分布,
to make an informed choice.
informed:有根据的
没法做出合适的选择。
-Penny:All right why you just pick one at random
at random:任意的,随便的
好吧,为什么不随便选一个,
and if you don't like it you can sit somewhere else next time.
如果不喜欢,下次再换个地方好了。
-Sheldon:No, no. That's crazy.
不,不,那太疯狂了。
You go ahead and talk while I figure it out.
figure it out:弄明白
你继续说,你边说我边想。
-Penny:Okay.
好吧。
Um, here's the thing.
呃,是这样的。
So I've known for a while now that Leonard has had
for a while:暂时
我刚刚知道Leonard
a little crush on me...
crush on:迷恋
对我有点意思...
-Sheldon:a little crush?
有点意思?
Well, I suppose so-- in the same way Menelaus
Menelaus:梅涅劳斯(斯巴达王)
可能吧-- 就像梅涅劳斯(斯巴达王)
had a "little crush" on Helen of Troy.
Helen:海伦娜(特洛伊皇后) Troy:特洛伊
【斯巴达王与海伦之间的爱情故事引起了历史上著名的特洛伊战争】
对特洛伊的海伦娜也"有点意思"。
-Penny:All right, yeah, I don't really know who they are, but...
好吧,这样,虽然我不知道他们是谁,但是...
-Sheldon:Well, Menelaus was the brother of Agamemnon...
Agamemnon:阿伽门农,特洛伊战争中希腊军队的统帅
梅涅劳斯是阿伽门农的兄弟...
-Penny:I don't care. I don't care. Listen.
我不管,我不在乎,听着
The point is,
问题是,
Leonard isn't the kind of guy I usually go out with.
go out with:和…约会
Leonard不是我通常约会的那类型。
-Sheldon:Leonard isn't the kind of guy anyone usually goes out with.
Leonard不是任何人通常约会的那类型。
Would you be open to rotating the couch clockwise 30 degrees?
rotating:使某物旋转 couch:长沙发 clockwise:顺时针方向的
你介不介意把沙发顺时针旋转30度?
-Penny:No. What I'm saying is Leonard might be different in a good way.
不行,我的意思是Leonard的不同可能是好事。
Obviously, my usual choices have not worked out so well.
worked out:产生结果
很明显,我平常的选择也没有什么好结果。
-Sheldon:Your last one worked out well for Koothrappali.
你上一次的结果对Koothrappali来说很好啊。
He got a free iPod.
他弄到了一个免费的iPod。
Oh, glare.
刺眼。
-Penny:On the other hand, if things don't go well with Leonard,
再说了,如果跟Leonard也没有好结果的话,
I risk losing a really good friend.
risk:冒险
我可能会失去一个很好的朋友。
I mean, I'm guessing he's not looking for a fling.
fling:放纵
我是说我想他不是那种冲动的人。
He's the kind of guy that gets into a relationship
relationship:关系
他是那种谈恋爱
for, I don't know, like you would say, light years.
light year:光年
会保持... 我不知道,就像你们说的光年。
-Sheldon:I would not say that.
我不会那么说的。
No one would say that. A light year is a unit of distance not time.
unit:单位 distance:距离
没有人会那么说,一光年是距离单位不是时间单位。
-Penny:Thank you for the clarification.
clarification:澄清
多谢澄清。
-Sheldon:Draft.
通风口。
See, people hear the word "year" and they think duration.
duration:持续的时间
人们听到"年" 就会想到时间,
Foot-pound has the same problem-- that's a unit of work, not of weight.
尺磅也有这样的问题-- 这是功的单位不是重量的。
-Penny:Right. Thanks.
对,谢谢。
-Sheldon:Um, It's common mistake.
common:普通的,普遍的 mistake:错误
嗯,这是很普遍的错误。
-Penny:Not the first one I've made today.
不是我今天的第一个错误了。
-Sheldon:Okay.
好了。
I think this will be my seat.
seat:座位
我想我就坐这儿了。
-Penny:Sheldon, do you have anything to say that has anything to do with, you know,
Sheldon你想的话里有没有和...你知道
what I'm talking about?
和我说的事有关系的?
-Sheldon:Well, let's see...
让我想想...
We might consider Schrodinger's cat.
Schrodinger:薛定锷,生于奥地利维也纳,1910 年获维也纳大学博士学位。
我们可以想想薛定锷猫态 (量子力学的一个理想化实验)。
-Penny:Schrodinger?
薛定锷?
Is that the woman in 2A?
是2楼A座住的那个女的?
-Sheldon:No, that's Mrs. Grossinger.
不,那是Grossinger夫人,
And she doesn't have a cat, she has a Mexican hairless.
Mexican:墨西哥的 hairless:无毛的
而且她不养猫,她养了一只墨西哥无毛犬。
Annoying little animal. Yip, yip, yip, yip.
Yip:犬吠
讨厌的小动物,耶噗,耶噗,耶噗,耶噗。
-Penny:Sheldon
Sheldon。
-Sheldon:Sorry, you diverted me. Anyway, in 1935,
divert:使转移
对不起,你分散了我的注意力,总之在1935年
Erwin Schrodinger, in an attempt to explain
in an attempt to:试图,力图
埃尔温·薛定锷为了阐明
the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics,
Copenhagen:哥本哈根 interpretation:解释,诠释 quantum physics:量子物理学
量子物力学的哥本哈根解释,(以玻尔为首的一帮科学家作出的,围绕概率解释、不确定性原理和互补原理这三大核心展开的量子论)
he proposed an experiment where a cat is placed in a box
propose:提议
他设计了一个实验,把一只猫放在盒子里,
with a sealed vial of poison that will break open at a random time.
sealed:密封的 vial:小瓶 poison:毒药 break open:摔破 random:任意的,随机的
还放了一密封的毒气瓶,这个瓶子会在不确定的时间打碎,
Now, since no one knows when or if the poison has been released,
release:释放
然后因为没有人知道毒气何时释放或者是否被释放出来了,
until the box is opened,
所以直到你掀开盒子之前,
the cat can be thought of as both alive and dead.
那只猫可以认为是既活着又死了。
-Penny:I'm sorry. I don't get the point.
point:重点
对不起,我没明白你的重点。
-Sheldon:Well, of course you don't get it; I haven't made it yet.
你当然不明白,我还没说重点呢。
You'd have to be psychic to get it, and there's no such thing as "psychic."
psychic:通灵
你得会通灵才能明白,而世界上根本没有"通灵"这回事。
-Penny:Sheldon, what's the point?!
Sheldon重点是什么?!
-Sheldon:Just like Schrodinger's cat,
就像"薛定锷猫态"一样。
your potential relationship with Leonard right now
potential:潜在的
现在你与Leonard之间潜在的关系,
can be thought of as both good and bad.
可以说,既是好事又是坏事。
It is only by opening the box that you'll find out which it is
find out:发现,看穿
只有打开盒子你才知道到底是怎么样的。
-Penny:Okay, so you're saying I should go out with Leonard.
好的,你的意思是我应该和Leonard出去。
-Sheldon:No, no, no, no, no.
不,不,不,不,不。
Let me start again.
让我从头讲一遍,
In 1935, Erwin Schrodinger...
在1935年埃尔温·薛定锷...
-Leonard:Two seats right there.
那儿有两个座位。
-Sheldon:Chung shu shway?
长寿石灰? (可能本来想说"社会主义万岁")
Shay shay.
谢谢。
-Leonard:Sheldon, I think I've made a mistake.
Sheldon我觉得我错了。
-Sheldon:I Can see that.
我看出来了。
Unless you're planning on running a marathon,
marathon:马拉松
除非你打算跑马拉松,
on choosing both stuffing and mashed potatoes
stuffing:馅饼 mashed potatoes:土豆泥
点了土豆馅饼又点土豆泥,
is a starch-filled redundancy.
starch:淀粉 redundancy:过剩
完全是淀粉过剩。
-Leonard:No, it's about Penny.
不,是有关Penny的。
-Sheldon:A mistake involving Penny.
involving:关于
有关Penny的错误...
Okay, you'll have to narrow it down.
narrow down:使变窄,使缩小
好吧,你得再把范围缩小点。
-Leonard:I don't think I can go out with her tonight.
go out with:和…约会
我觉得我今天晚上没法和她出去。
-Sheldon:Then don't.
那就别去了。
-Leonard:Other people would say "Why not?"
要是别人会问"为什么?"。
-Sheldon:Other people might be interested.
要是别人可能会感兴趣。
-Leonard:I'm going to talk anyway.
反正我要说。
-Sheldon:I assumed you would.
我猜也是。
-Leonard:Now that I'm actually about to go out with Penny,
现在我真要和Penny出去了,
I'm not excited-- I'm nauseous.
nauseous:令人作呕的,厌恶的
我却不兴奋--我觉得令人作呕。
-Sheldon:Ah, then your meal choice is appropriate.
appropriate:适当的,恰当的
啊,那你点餐点对了。
Starch absorbs fluid which reduces the amount of vomit
Starch:淀粉 absorb:吸收 fluid:液体,流体 reduce:减少 vomit:呕吐物
淀粉会吸收液体,减少可用于
available for violent expulsion.
violent:剧烈的,强烈的 expulsion:喷出
猛然喷发的呕吐量。
-Leonard:Right.
对。
-Sheldon:You also made a common grammatical mistake.
grammatical:语法上的
你还犯了一个常见的语法错误。
You said "nauseous," when you meant "nauseated."
nauseous:令人作呕的 nauseated:作呕的
你说"令人作呕" 但你的意思是"你觉得恶心"。
But go on.
不过继续。
-Leonard:Sheldon, this date is probably my one chance with Penny.
Sheldon这个约会可能是我跟Penny唯一的机会。
What happens if I blow it?
blow it:糟糕
如果我搞砸了怎么办?
-Sheldon:Well, if we accept your premise and also accept the highly improbable assumption
premise:前提 improbable:不大可能的 assumption:假设
好吧,如果我们接受你所说的前提和那个极不可能的假设,
that Penny is the only woman in the world for you,
即认为Penny是这世界上你的唯一,
then we can logically conclude that the result
logically:逻辑地 conclude:得出结论
那么我们就可以逻辑地得出结论,
of blowing it would be that you end up a lonely, bitter old man with no progeny.
progeny:子孙,后代 bitter:痛苦的
搞砸了这次约会,你就会变成一个孤单痛苦、无子无孙的老男人。
The image of any number of evil lighthouse keepers
image:形象 evil:邪恶的 lighthouse keepers:灯塔看守人
我脑中出现了史酷比卡通里的,
from Scooby-Doo cartoons comes to mind.
Scooby-Doo:史酷比 cartoons:卡通
任何一个邪恶的灯塔看守者的形象。
-Leonard:You're not helping.
跟你说一点用都没有。
-Sheldon:All right, what respond on my part
respond:回答
好吧,我怎么回答
would bring this conversation to a speedy conclusion?
conversation:交谈 speedy:快速 conclusion:结论
才能让这次对话尽快得出结论?
-Leonard:Tell me whether or not to go through with the date.
go through with:完成,把…进行到底
告诉我该不该继续这次约会。
-Sheldon:Scododinger's cat.
薛定锷猫态。
-Leonard:Wow, that's brilliant.
brilliant:有才气的
哇噢,太有才了。
You sound surprised.
你听起来很惊讶。
Ho-tsu shway zai li-toe.
嗯,猴子睡在里头 (好滋味在里头...)。
-Penny:Hi.
嗨。
-Leonard:Hi.
嗨。
-Penny:Come on in.
进来。
-Leonard:Thank you.
谢谢。
you look very nice.
你看起来真美。
-Penny:Thank you. So do you.
谢谢,你也很帅。
-Leonard:I made an 8:00 reservation.
reservation:预定
我订了8点的位子。
-Penny:Okay, Yeah, great. Listen, um...
好的,恩,很好,我说,呃...
maybe we should talk first.
也许我们应该先谈谈。
-Leonard:Oh. Okay.
好的。
But before you say anything, have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?
但是在你说之前,我想问你是否听说过薛定锷猫态?
-Penny:Actually, I've heard far too much about Schrodinger's cat.
实际上,我已经听了太多薛定锷猫态了。
-Leonard:Good.
很好。
-Penny:All right, the cat's alive. Let's go to dinner.
好吧,猫还活着,我们去吃饭吧。
-Sheldon:Bee ti tsai nar! Bee ti!
鼻涕在哪儿! 鼻涕!
-Waiter:Xing gan jing bi ti hou quai zoui quai zoui.
擤干净鼻涕后快走快走
-Sheldon:Zhe bu shi lui ding jiao ta che!
这不是柳丁脚踏车!
-Waiter:Crazy man. Call the police!
疯子,叫警察!
-Sheldon:Bu bie da gei tu shu guan. Bee ti tsai nar!
不必打给图书馆鼻涕在哪儿!
Man niu zai wo chuang shang! Hen duo hen duo man niu!
猛牛在我床上! 很多很多猛牛!
Ai yah!
哎呀!
End
词汇解析:Liz Lee



评 论



