看绝望的主妇学英语 Desperate Housewives 第二季 07集:Color and Light
Previously on desperate housewives...
前情回顾…
-Carlos: You're glowing today, you know that?
glowing: 容光焕发的
你今天看上去真靓!
-Mary Alice: Gabrielle got pregnant...
pregnant: 怀孕的
Gabrielle怀孕了,
-Susan: You walked out on me.
walk out on: 抛弃(某人)
是你抛弃了我,
-Karl: Yeah, but look how far I got. I'm just up the street
是,但是看看我走了多远。我就在街上面。
-Mary Alice: Trouble moved in...
move in: 搬入【这里指的是麻烦的倾入】
困惑开始了...
-Dr. Goldfine: Being with George made you feel a bit guilty.
guilty: 愧疚的
同George在一起让你感到内疚。
-Bree: Well, I'll just have to get over it, won’t I?
get over: 从…恢复过来
但是我必须得忘却这一切,不是吗?
-Mary Alice: And Bree moved on...
move on: 继续前进
Bree开始了新生活...
-Matthew: I know who really killed Melanie Foster
我知道是谁杀死了Melanie foster.
You arrested the wrong man?
arrest: 逮捕
你们抓错人了?
-Mary Alice: But not everyone...
但不是人人...
-Matt: Call 9-1-1 and tell them you got a killer locked up in the basement.
lock up: 锁起来 basement: 地下室 killer: 杀人者【在口语中,killer也做形容词,表示极好的,有趣的;危险的】
打911报警,告诉他们地下室里关着个杀人犯。
-Betty: He is not a killer.
他不是杀人犯。
-Mary Alice: Got what they deserved.
deserve: 应得
...都得到应得的。
It is often said that necessity is the mother of invention.
necessity: 需求 invention: 创造
常言道:需要是创造之母。
This is how mothers came to invent play dates.
come to: 谈到,涉及 invent: 发明 play date【这里指的玩伴】
所以母亲们才想出了玩伴这个主意。
So occasionally they could have a little time for themselves.
occasionally: 偶尔地
这样他们就能有点属于自己的时间。
-Mother #1: If you need me, I’ll be at the salon.
salon: 美容厅
有事去发廊找我。
-Mary Alice: But there are some mothers who don’t get to take advantage of this maternal innovation. Mothers like Lynette Scavo...
get to: 得到,开始,接触 take advantage of: 利用 maternal: 母亲的 innovation: 创新
不过有些母亲没法享受这一创造带来了快乐,比如Lynette Scavo。
...who was no longer able to rest on weekends...
no longer: 不再 be able to: 能够 rest: 休息
她即使到了周末也没法休息。
-Lynette: Guys, stop it! Stop it, I mean it, come on!
guy: 伙计
伙计们,停下来!停下来!我很严肃,快点。
-Mary Alice: ...because her twins no longer received play date invitations.
receive: 收到 invitation: 邀请
因为她的双胞胎儿子没有自己的玩伴。
Ever since they had convinced Sasha Eden’s boy that a pair of magic wings would allow him to fly.
ever since: 自从 convince:说服 magic: 魔法的 wing: 翅膀 allow: 允许
因为他们俩曾经对Sasha Eden的儿子说一对有魔法的翅膀能让他飞起来。
And they had double-dared Sharon Chazin’s boy to ride his bike blindfolded.
double-dare: 向…双倍强调地挑战,一再向…挑战 ride: 骑 blindfold: 被蒙上眼睛的
因为他们曾让Sharon Chazin的儿子蒙着眼睛骑自行车。
And they had encouraged Lisa Seigmann’s boy to try an exciting new game called, ‘Toss the Brick.'
encourage: 鼓励 exciting: 令人兴奋的 toss: 扔 brick: 砖头
因为他们怂恿Lisa Siegmann的儿子玩一个叫做“扔砖头”的新游戏。
The Scavo twins had become persona-non-grata...
persona non grata: 不受欢迎的人
Scavo家的双胞胎成了不受欢迎的人,
...and Lynette’s secret dream of being able to take an occasional nap on Saturdays was growing dimmer and dimmer.
secret: 秘密的 nap: 小睡 dim: 暗淡的
而Lynette周六能偶尔打个盹的梦想则变得越来越渺茫。
Until one day...
直到有一天...
-Lynette: Hey, hey, hey, Porter, Preston, knock it off. All right, did you hear me, I said stop it. Stand up. Stand up! Come here!
knock it off: 不要这样子 stand up: 起立
嘿,嘿,嘿,嘿,Porter,Preston 别打了!没听见我说话吗?别打了!站起来!站起来,到这来。
I’m so sorry. Did my sons beat you up?
beat up: 痛打
对不起,我儿子打你了吗?
-Jimmy/PJ: No, we were beating them up.
没有,我们在打他们。
-Lynette: Is that true? Did they beat you up?
真的?他们在打你?
-Parker/Preston: Ah, it didn’t hurt that much.
恩,一点不疼。
-Norma: Jimmy, PJ, what are you doing? What have I told you about ganging up on people? I am so sorry.
gang up on: 联合起来对待 gang: 使集合成一群
Jimmy, P.J. 你们在干吗?说过多少次了不可以打架!对不起。
-Lynette: Ah, no, it’s, it’s okay. Believe me; my boys can take care of themselves.
take care of: 照料
没关系。我儿子自己能管好自己。
-Norma: If they got hurt at all, I’ll pay for the doctor bills.
bill: 账单
如果他们哪受伤了,我来付医药费。
-Lynette: No, not to worry. I got the feeling they were sort of enjoying themselves.
sort of: 有点 enjoy: 享受,喜欢
不用了,别担心,我倒觉得他们很玩的来
-Norma: Really?
真的?
-Norma: What would you say to bringing your boys over to my house and letting them hang out with mine sometime?
bring over: 把(某人)带来 hang out: 一起玩
要不以后你们把孩子带到我家来有空一起和我儿子玩玩?
-Mary Alice: And that’s how Lynette finally got what she needed...
Lynette现在终于得到她一直梦寐以求的
...time for herself, and play dates for her kids.
属于自己的时间,还为自己孩子找到了玩伴...
-Norma: I’m sorry, but my boys decided to have a rock fight with your boys.
decide: 决定 rock: 岩石 fight: 打架
不好意思,我儿子和你们孩子打石头仗了。
-Preston: It was fun!
好好玩啊!
-Mary Alice: Play dates she was determined to keep...
determine: 决定 keep: 保留
几位她不愿意放弃的玩伴
-Lynette: Well, they look fine to me.
呃,我看没什么事。
-Mary Alice: ...at all costs.
at all costs: 不惜任何代价,无论如何 cost: 代价
不顾一切。
-Lynette: Same time next week?
下周同一时间?
-Norma: Okay.
好的
-Mary Alice: Cameras are simple tools designed to capture images. Images that tell us more about ourselves than we realize.
camera: 照相机 tool: 工具 design to: 为…专门设计 design: 设计 capture: 捕获 image: 图像
照相机是用来拍摄记录的,那些照片能告诉我们很多。
They remind us of the long journey we’ve taken.
remind: 提醒 journey: 旅途
它们能让我们想起曾经一起走过的路,
The loved ones who traveled alongside of us.
alongside: 在旁边
想起陪伴在身边的至爱之人。
Those we lost along the way.
想起同行中离我们而去的人。
And those waiting for us on the road ahead.
还有那些在前方等待我们的人。
-Edie: Okay, how am I supposed to eat with a uterus staring me in the face?
uterus: 子宫 stare: 盯
有张子宫图在眼前晃悠,我怎么吃的下?
-Susan: Oh, Gabby, I didn’t know you got a sonogram. Let me see. Oh!
sonogram: 声波图
哦,Gabby,我们都不知道你去做过B超了。让我看看。
-Bree: Honey, you need to put that in a frame or something.
frame: 画框
最好给照片镶个框。
-Gabrielle: I don’t think so.
我才不呢。
-Bree: Oh come on, that’s a picture of your baby. You can’t tell me you’re not a little bit excited.
excited: 兴奋的
别这样,那可是你孩子的照片。你不可能一点都不兴奋吧。
-Gabrielle: Fine, I’m pregnant. Whee! Now come on, we are supposed to be cheering up Susan.
whee: 哟,啊 cheer up: 使振奋
好吧,我怀孕咯,哈哈哈。别说这个了,我们来是要安慰Susan的。
This is a time of crisis and I think you need another scoop of mint chocolate chip.
crisis: 危机 scoop: 铲子,勺子 mint: 薄荷 chocolate: 巧克力 chip: 薄片
现在是危机时刻,给你再来一勺薄荷冰淇淋。
-Susan: Thanks.
谢谢。
-Edie: Susan. Why are you so eerily calm? Mike Delfino just dumped you.
eerily: 奇怪的 dump: 遗弃
Susan,你怎么出奇地冷静?Mike Delfino刚刚甩了你。
The Susan Mayer I know would be a blubbering mess right now.
blubber: 哭诉,嚎啕大哭 mess: 乱七八糟
我所认识的susan mayer现在应该痛哭流涕才对呀。
Oh, come on, trot her on out. She’s fun to watch.
trot out:【口语】拿出…给人看 trot: 快步跑
给我们讲讲嘛,看她这样真有意思。
-Susan: Actually, I think I’m starting to feel pretty Zen about the whole thing.
Zen: 禅【禅是佛教中禅宗的一种修炼方法,给人一种平静,安心的内心感觉,这里就指的一种平静,平和的心理状态】
其实我倒觉得这事应该看开一点。
-Bree: Well, I think Mike will calm down in a couple of days and come to his senses.
calm down: 平静下来 couple: 两个 come to one’s sense: 恢复理智
Mike需要冷静一下,过几天他应该会明白的。
-Susan: No, I came between the man and his son. There’s a huge betrayal. I, I can’t even blame him for hating me.
huge: 巨大的 betrayal: 背叛 blame: 责怪
不是,我阻碍一个男人和他的儿子见面。这简直是天大的背叛。他这么恨我,我不怪他。
-Gabrielle: But Zach was starting to obsess with Julie again.
obsess: 迷恋
但是Zach又那么迷恋Julie。
-Bree: Exactly. You’re a mother trying to protect her child. It’s a natural impulse.
protect: 保护 natural: 自然的 impulse: 冲动
是呀,身为人母,保护自己的孩子是母性的本能。
-Susan: Over the past couple of days, I gave myself a long hard look in the mirror and I did not like what I saw.
a long hard look【好好研究一番】
这几天我自己也好好照了照镜子,实在不喜欢现在这副嘴脸。
-Edie: I’m with you. Carry on.
be with: 支持
我支持你,继续!
-Susan: I just think if I start acting like an adult for once, maybe, who knows, somewhere down the line, Mike and I at least can be friends.
somewhere down the line 【将来有一天 down the line: 在各个阶段】
我只是想如果我表现的成熟稳重一点,也许...谁又知道呢?以后Mike和我至少能作个朋友吧。
-Edie: All right, you’re not Zen. You’re numb.
numb: 麻木的
说了这么半天,你这哪是看开了。分明是受刺激变麻木了嘛。
-Susan: I’m fine. You got any pie?
pie: 派
我没事,有派吃吗?
-Gabrielle: Not unless we make some.
not unless【除非】
没做。
-Susan: I can wait.
我可以等。
-Tom: Whoa!
哇哦。
-Norma: So if you need us, we’ll be at home just having a quiet evening.
quiet: 安静的
如果你们有事找我们,就去我们家,反正在家闲着没事。
-Tom: Funny, we’re expecting quite the opposite.
expect: 期待 quite the opposite: 恰好相反 opposite: 相反的
有意思,我们这可热闹呢。
-Leonard: Well, don’t forget, next week it’s our turn. We’ll take Porter and…
呃,别忘了,下周轮到我们带孩子。我们会好好看管Porter和…
-Norma: ...Preston…
Preston
-Leonard: ...Preston off your hands all weekend.
Preston整个周末。
-Lynette: Rest assured, we have not forgotten. See ya!
rest assured: 放心 ya: =you 【用于口语】
放心,我们没忘。回见。
-Norma: Bye.
再见。
-Lynette: Don’t worry.
别担心。
-Tom: Whoa, guys. Whoa, why aren’t you upstairs with PJ and Jimmy?
upstairs: 楼上
嘿,小家伙们。你们怎么不和P.J.和Jimmy在一起?
-Preston: They’re watching this dumb video they brought
dumb: 无言的,哑的
他们在看带过来什么录像带,
-Porter: It’s boring.
boring: 令人厌烦的
好无聊啊。
-Lynette: Well, you should be polite and watch it too. You know they’re your guests.
polite: 礼貌的 guest: 客人
那你们应该懂礼貌和他们一起看呀,他们可是我们家的客人。
-Tom: Guys!
小家伙们。
-Lynette: Hey, guys. We got snacks!
snack: 点心
嘿,小家伙们,上点心咯。
-Leonard (on the TV, wearing boxer shorts): We’re good to go. Okay, ready?
调好灯光,我们就可以了。好了,可以开始了吗?
-Norma: (on the TV, wearing a bra and panties) Okay.
bra: 胸衣 panty: 女裤
好的。
-Leonard (on the TV): All right, hang on now, I’m just getting up.
好了,等一下。
-Lynette: Guys, what is this?
你们在看什么?
-Jimmy/PJ: A movie. Mommy and Daddy made it.
电影,爸妈自拍的。
-Leonard: Whoa. What’s under there?
哇,下面是什么?
-Norma: Peek a boo! Peek a boo!
peek: 偷看 boo: 做嘘声
偷偷看,偷偷看。
-Lynette: Oh my god! Oh my god, where’s the off button?
button: 按钮
哦,天啊,天啊。开关在哪里啊?
-Tom: It’s, it’s underneath the panel thing.
underneath: 在下面 panel: 面板
下面,面板那个位置。
-Lynette: Well, it’s stuck. Get the remote! Get the remote!
stuck: 不能动的,卡住的 remote: 遥控器
卡住了,卡住了。遥控器,快拿遥控器。
-Parker: What’s wrong?
怎么了?
-Lynette: Oh, uh...
哦,呃…
-Tom: I found it.
我找到了。
-Lynette: Oh.
噢。
-Parker: So can we have the cocoa now?
cocoa: 可可饮料
我们能喝可可吗?
-Vern: Well, what do you think?
你怎么看?
-Gabrielle: It is glorious. I have to have it.
glorious: 光荣的,辉煌的
真好看,就要它了。
-Vern: I’m not sure you deserve Dolce and Gabbana.
deserve: 值得 Dolce & Gabbana: 意大利著名服装品牌
-Gabrielle: Vern.
Vern
-Vern: You never call, you never write.
你不打电话,也不写信。
-Gabrielle: I know I haven’t been to the store lately but I’ve been a little busy getting my husband out of jail.
jail: 监狱
我知道最近没来光顾,但我一直忙着把我丈夫弄出监狱。
-Vern: That’s such a white-trash thing to say.
white-trash: 白垃圾,对美国下层白人的称呼
真可怜啊。
-Gabrielle: Luckily, the judge dropped the hate crime charge. judge: 法官
drop charge【撤销控诉】 hate crime: 仇视性犯罪【Carlos被起诉的罪名是仇视同性恋,真冤枉啊】
好在法官没有追究仇恨犯罪。
So now all Carlos has to do is serve out the slave labor thing. He’ll be out in six months.
serve out: 服满 slave labor: 苦役
Carlos只要服完劳役即可,六个月后就刑满释放了。
-Vern: If he’s still in the hoosegow, why do you need the fancy party dress.
hoosegow: 监狱拘留所 fancy: 精美的
他既然还在坐牢,你还需要这么花哨的衣服干吗?
-Gabrielle: Because some of my model friends are coming down from New York on Friday so I have to look better than ever.
model: 模特
因为周六有几个纽约来的模特朋友来看我,我得看上去光彩照人才行。
I can’t have them thinking I moved to the suburbs and I shop at strip malls.
suburb: 郊区 strip mall: 零售店
我可不能让他们看出来我搬到了市郊后就在大卖场买衣服。
-Vern: When they see this dress they will crumple to the floor like the Botox tags they are.
crumple: (突然)倒下 Botox: 肉毒杆菌毒素 tag: 标签
但是她们要是看到你这身衣服肯定要惊叹得拜倒在地呀【Botox可以除去皱纹,Vern还真是会拍马屁,这句话的意思是如果你的朋友们看到你还是这么年轻漂亮,肯定会气倒在这光滑的地板上,这光滑的地板就像她们那标志性的打过Botox的脸】
-Gabrielle: Good. You know what? It’s a little snug.
snug: 合身的
很好,衣服好像有点紧。
-Vern: Yeah, I see that. I have the same thing in a zero, why not go up a size?
我也看出来了。不过这款衣服还有别的尺寸,换大一号的试试吧。
-Gabrielle: Because I wear a double zero, you twerp!
twerp: 无用之人
我就要穿小号的,笨蛋!
-Vern: Why are you getting snippy?
snippy: 暴躁的
你干吗这么大火?
-Gabrielle: Because you just called me fat!
因为你刚刚说我胖了。
-Vern: Honey, you’re pregnant. Your body’s changing.
pregnant: 怀孕了
哦,你怀孕了。身体自然发生了变化。
-Gabrielle: But I’m only three months pregnant. Women don’t show at three months.
可是我才三个月啊,三个月肚子没那么大啊。
-Vern: Some women do. Do you want the larger size or not?
有些人三个月肚子很大了。还要不要大号的了?
-Gabrielle: I’m just not gonna eat for two days.
gonna: going to
那我干脆两天不吃饭。
-Vern: Okay, you totally deserve to wear Dolce and Gabana.
好吧,你可以穿Dolce & Gabbana了。
-Edie: I want an explanation, Karl, do you hear me?
explanation: 解释
我需要你解释Karl,听到没有?
-Karl: Edie, you just better get the hell off my back, so help me...
get off my back: 别来烦我
Edie,你最好别来烦我,否则我就…
-Edie: Oh. Oh, so what are you gonna do? I’d like to hear this. Big man, big threat.
哦,你就干吗?我倒想听听。这么大块头就会动动嘴皮子威胁啊?
-Karl: Back off, just back the hell off!
back off: 终止
别烦我,别烦我。
-Edie: What am I...
我到底…
-Susan: Hi. Okay, so I got the box on things you left on my porch.
porch: 门廊
你留在门外的盒子我拿到了。
-Mike: Yeah, I figured you’d want your stuff back.
figure:估计 stuff: 东西
我想你需要拿回自己的东西。
-Susan: Thanks. That’s great. Because if you decided to hang on to my Joni Mitchell CDs I’d have to come after you with a club.
hang on to: 紧紧抓住 come after: 跟着 club: 棍子
谢谢,如果你还扣着我的Joni Mitchell的CD不放(加拿大著名女歌手),恐怕我得拿着棍棒追赶着你要了。
You’re right, it’s not funny. Actually, I did want to see if you were aware that you gave me back the Valentine’s Day card that I made you.
valentine: 情人节
没错,一点不好笑。其实我来是想问问你知不知道,你把那张我给你做的情人节贺卡也退了回来。
-Mike: I was aware, yeah.
aware: 知道的
我知道。
-Susan: Oh. Well, I mean when two people split up, normally they don’t give things back like Valentine’s Day cards.
split up: 分手
其实两人分手一般不会退回情人节贺卡之类的东西。
If, if, you can throw it away. Just please don’t give it back to me, it’s tacky.
throw away: 扔掉 tacky: 寒酸的
你不想要的话,完全可以扔了,就是别退给我,样子实在不怎么样。
-Mike: I’m sorry.
不好意思。
-Susan: That’s okay. People make…mistakes.
没什么。是人都会犯...错误。
-Mike: Anything else?
还有什么事吗?
-Susan: Look, are you sure this is what you want to do?
你真的决意和我分手?
I mean, I understand that you don’t want our relationship to continue, you have made that clear.
continue: 继续 make clear: 讲清楚
我知道你不想继续我们的关系,你说的很明白。
But I sort of thought down the long corridors of time, maybe you and I could be friends, and if you keep acting like this...
the long corridors of time【长长的时空走廊,这里指很长很长的时间 corridor: 走廊】
但是我在想也许今后我们还可以做朋友,可如果你一直这样子…
-Mike: Susan, it’s over. On every level. Okay, I’ve, I've moved on. You should do the same.
on every level【在各个方面】 move on: 继续
Susan,我们结束了。彻底结束了,明白吗?我会开始新的生活,你也应该如此。
-Edie: You miserable son of a bitch! If I have secrets, I'm a hell of a lot better at keeping them than you are!
miserable: 可悲的 a hell of: 极好的
你可恶的混蛋!如果我要是有什么秘密。我绝对比你能保守秘密。
-Susan: Well I’ll say one thing for us. Even with all our problems we’re not acting like that.
不过我们之间倒有件事值得一说。尽管我们问题多多,可我们至少没像他们那样。
-Bree: Okay, I’m starting to get the feeling that we are not going to a yard sale.
yard sale:【美国英语】宅前贱卖,庭院旧货出售(= garage sale) yard: 院子 sale: 销售
好吧,我怎么感觉我们不是去旧货甩卖场?
-George: That was just a clever ruse to get you into my car. Are you ready for your surprise?
ruse: 策略
那只是让你上车的借口。准备好看我给你的惊喜了吗?
-Bree: Um hmm.
恩。
-Bree: Oh. George, this is just, uh, an empty house. Why is this a surprise?
哦,George。这只不过是间空房子。有什么好惊喜的?
-George: I just bought it.
我刚买的。
-Bree: Oh, my god! Congratulations. Oh George, I didn’t even know you were looking.
congratulation: 恭喜
哦,天啊,恭喜你了。哦,George,我都不知道你一直在看房子。
-Francine Williams: Hurry, Ceal, they’re here.
快点,Ceal,他们来了。
-Ceal: Coming. Hey, George.
我来了。嘿,George。
-George: Bree, I’d like you to meet my mother.
Bree,这位是我母亲。
-Francine: George never introduces me to anyone. So I knew you were special.
introduce: 介绍 special: 特别的
George从没像我介绍过外人,所以我知道你一定与众不同。
-George: And this is Ceal, my mother’s friend and the real estate agent who sold me the house.
real estate: 房地产 agent: 代理人
这位是Ceal 我母亲的朋友,她就是卖这座房子的房地产经纪人。
-Ceal: Hi.
嘿。
-Bree: Hi.
嘿。
-Francine: Well, we’re gonna go in the back, so George can, you know.
我们还是去后面吧,这样你们俩就能...
-George: So, you really like it?
你...喜欢吗?
-Bree: Uh, I do, I really do.
喜欢,真的喜欢。
-George: Good, because, uh, I was sorta hoping that you might like to live here. Bree, (he pulls out a ring) will you marry me?
sorta: 有几分
太好了,因为我打算...让你住在这里。Bree...愿意嫁给我吗?
-Bree: Huh?
呃?
-George: I love you and I think I know how you feel about me. So why wait?
我爱你,我也知道你的感受。干吗还要等呢?
-Bree: George, Rex hasn’t even been dead for two months.
George,Rex去世才两个月啊。
-George: Yes, but if his death has taught us anything, it’s that life is short.
没错,但是他去世也深深地教育了我们。那就是生命是短暂的。
It’s dumb to play it safe. If we see a chance for happiness we should grab it and hold on tight.
dumb: 笨的 play it safe: 谨慎行事 grab: 抓 hold on: 抓住 tight: 紧紧地
谨慎行事有时很傻的,如果我们看到了幸福的机遇我们应该抓住不放。
-Bree: See, I thought we were going to a yard sale.
我以为我们是去旧货甩卖场。
-George: Please, just say the word and you’ll make me the happiest guy on earth.
求你了,答应吧。我就是世界上最幸福的男人了。
-Francine: Congratulations, you two.
恭喜两位!
-Ceal: Mazel tov!
Mazel tov:(希伯莱语)好运
-George: Guys, wait, she hasn’t said yes yet.
等等,她还没答应呢。
-Francine: Oh.
哦。
-Ceal: I told you we should wait.
我说要再等等吧。
-George: So, Bree. What do you say?
呃... 呃 Bree...你看如何?
-Bree: See, George, um, the thing is...
George,呃,其实...
-Bree: ...okay.
我愿意。
-George: You will? You’ll marry me?
你愿意?你愿意嫁给我?
-Bree: Okay.
是的。
-Francine: Oh. Ah. Oh my baby! Oh.
哦,哦,我的孩子。
-Susan: Who is it?
哪位?
-Karl: It’s your ex-husband.
你的前夫?
-Susan: Oh, Karl. What do you want?
哦,Karl,有什么事?
-Karl: Uh, Edie and I just broke up.
break up: 分手
Edie和我刚刚分手。
-Susan: Oh. Well, come on in.
哦,进来吧。
-Karl: I’m sorry to come over on such short notice. But, I couldn’t face going to a hotel.
come over : 拜访 on such short notice: 在如此短的时间内
不好意思这么突然,但我又不愿意去旅馆住。
-Susan: Oh, that’s okay. Julie’s staying at a friend’s tonight. You can sleep in her room.
没事,Julie,反正去朋友家了。你可以睡在她屋里。
-Karl: The sofa’s fine, thanks.
sofa: 沙发
沙发就可以了,不过谢谢你。
-Susan: So am I allowed to ask what happened?
那么我能问问出什么事了吗?
-Karl: You could ask, but I won’t tell.
可以问,但我不会告诉你的。
-Susan: Why not?
为什么?
-Karl: 'Cause it’s embarrassing.
embarrassing: 丢人的
因为说出来丢人现眼的。
-Susan: Karl, did you cheat again?
cheat: 有外遇
Karl,你是不是在外面又有女人了?
-Karl: No.
没有。
-Susan: Did she cheat?
那她在外面有别的男人了?
-Karl: No.
也没有。
-Susan: You finally saw her without her makeup?
makeup: 化妆
你终于看到她卸妆后的样子了?
-Karl: Susan.
Susan...
-Susan: I’m sorry. Are you okay?
不好意思。你没事吧?
-Karl: Yeah. Haven’t been working for quite a while. This was inevitable.
inevitable: 不可避免的
恩,其实这么长时间来一直不顺畅。发生这事也在所难免。
-Susan: Well, these days anybody going through a break-up gets my sympathy.
go through: 经历 sympathy: 同情
如今谁分手了,我都同情。
-Karl: That’s right. I heard you made the plumber angry.
plumber: 管道工 angry: 生气的
没错,听说你惹火了那个水管工。
-Susan: No, I made the plumber furious. That is definitely over. So there will be no gloating from me.
furious: 狂怒的 definitely: 绝对地 gloat: 满足的看,暗自的笑
不是,我是惹怒了他。彻底结束了。所以你分手,我不会沾沾自喜了。
-Karl: Here’s to no gloating.
那就敬一杯。
-Susan: Actually, I’m trying to keep a positive outlook on the whole thing. Um, last night I started writing and, well, I think there’s a book in there.
positive: 积极的 outlook: 态度
其实我一直想就这事保持乐观态度。呃..昨天晚上,我就动笔写了写,呃...我想完全可以写本书出来。
-Karl: A book?
书?
-Susan: Yeah.
是的
-Karl: Like one of your children’s books?
儿童读物?
-Susan: Nope. This one’s for adults about all my failed relationships.
failed: 失败的
不,是给成年人看的关于我失败的恋爱和婚姻。
-Karl: You’re not writing about me, are you?
你不会在写我吧?
-Susan: You’re, like, the first fourteen chapters.
chapter: 章节
你可能得占据前14章。
-Karl: Are you gonna be fair?
fair: 公正的
写的时候公正吗?
-Susan: I’m gonna be honest.
honest: 诚实的
我会实话实说的。
-Karl: I was afraid of that.
be afraid of: 担心,害怕
我就怕那个。
-Bree: It was just awful. George had a ring. His mother and her friend were there with champagne.
awful: 可怕的 champagne: 香槟酒
当时太尴尬,George手里拿着戒指。他母亲和朋友端着香槟。
If I had said no, it would have divested him.
divest: 除去,剥夺
我要是说“不愿意”肯定对他造成打击。
-Dr. Goldfine: So you agreed to marry him just to be polite?
agree to: 同意 polite: 礼貌的
你同意嫁给他就是出于礼貌原因?
-Bree: Well, obviously there’s a down side to having good manners.
down side: 不好的一面 manner:【复数】规矩;礼仪
呃,很明显有时过于礼貌也不好啊。
-Dr. Goldfine: So, when will you tell him how you really feel?
那么你打算什么时候告诉他你的真实感受?
-Bree: That’s why I wanted to talk to you. I mean, part of me just keeps thinking maybe I should just do it.
所以我才来找你啊。一部分的我在想就这么做。
-Dr. Goldfine: Do it? You mean actually marry him?
做?你是说真的要嫁给他?
-Bree: Well, I know it sounds rash, but, well, there’s something comfortable about George.
rash: 轻率的
我也知道这显得很鲁莽,但是...和George在一起感觉很舒服。
We share the same tastes and interests. Oh, and best of all, he loves the opera.
share: 分享 taste: 品味 interest: 兴趣 best of all: 最好地 opera: 歌剧
我们趣味相投,而且他喜欢歌剧。
-Dr. Goldfine: The opera?
歌剧?
-Bree: Yes, we saw Aida last week and we both cried buckets. It was fun.
bucket: 水桶
是的,上周我们看了《阿依达》,我们都哭成一团了。真有意思。
George loves art, poetry, and music. It would be nice to be married to someone who looks for beauty in the world like I do.
poetry: 诗歌 look for: 寻找
George热爱艺术,诗歌和音乐。能嫁给一个像我这样寻找生活中的美的男人真的很好。
I don’t know. That’s why I’m here. I don’t know what to do, Dr. Goldfine.
我也迷惑了,所以我才来找你。我也不知道该怎么办,Goldfine医生。
-Dr. Goldfine: Bree, you’ve said many times how comfortable you are with George,
Bree,你多次提到和George在一起是多么的舒服。
but you don’t feel for him the way you felt for Rex.
但是你对他的感觉不是你对Rex的那种感觉?
-Bree: No. True love is great, but at this point in my life, I think I’d rather just go to the opera.
at this point: 在这一点上 would rather: 宁愿
是的,真爱的确可贵,但我现在这样我宁愿去看歌剧。
-Karl: You need another glass. Let's finish this off...
把杯子给我。我们得喝光了。
-Susan: Oh no, no wait, no wait, no wait. Four glasses is my limit.
limit: 极限
不,不,别。不行,不行,我顶多喝四杯。
-Karl: If you help me finish off this bottle, I’ll tell you what happened between me and Edie.
如果你能帮我喝光这瓶酒,我就告诉你我和Edie究竟出什么事了。
-Susan: Hit me.
那就来吧。
-Karl: Edie was making the bed and found a picture I kept under the mattress. A picture I didn’t want her to see.
mattress: 床垫
Edie正在铺床,找到了一张我放在床垫下的照片…我不想让她看见的一张照片。
-Susan: What was it?
谁的照片?
-Karl: It was a picture of you.
你的照片。
-Susan: Why would you...?
你为什么...
-Karl: Because it’s something I like to take a look at every now and then.
every now and then: 时不时的
因为我想时不时地看看。
-Susan: Wow.
哇哦。
-Susan (laughing): What the hell was that?
你干吗这样?
-Karl: That was something I’ve been wanting to do for quite some time.
其实我很久以来一直想这么做。
-Susan: Oh, that’s just you rebounding from Edie.
rebound: 重新振作
哦,你只是在分手恢复期。
-Karl: So, you’re on the rebound from the plumber. No harm, no foul.
on the rebound: 在失望,沮丧之际 foul: 犯规的,污秽
你不也是嘛。不会有事,也没“违规”。
-Susan: Karl. It'd be so weird.
weird: 奇怪的
Karl,这样感觉太怪了。
-Karl: Just two old friends who suddenly find themselves single. There’s nothing weird about us helping each other out to be a little less lonely.
single: 单身的 help out: 摆脱(苦难等) lonely: 孤独的
我们只是两位突然发现自己又单身了的老朋友。没什么奇怪的。互相帮助...摆脱寂寞而已。
-Norma: Thanks so much for taking care of the boys. I'll be back on Friday to pick your guys up.
十分感谢你们照顾我的孩子,我周五过来接你们的孩子。
Leonard and I are gonna take them all to the water park.
Leonard和我会带她们去水上公园玩。
-Lynette: Yeah, um, before that happens...
呃,走之前...
-Norma: And we're gonna be able to take Penny soon, aren't we? She's getting so big. Peekaboo, peekaboo, peekaboo.
我们很快就能接走Penny 对吗?她长起来可快了,偷偷看,偷偷看,偷偷看
-Lynette: Yeah, okay, enough of that.
好了,够了!
-Norma: Is there something wrong?
怎么了?
-Lynette: Actually, yes. We've agonized whether to tell you this, Norma, but one of your private videos made its way into Jimmy and P.J.'s bag.
agonize: 是感到极度痛苦
其实,我们有事。我们一直在犹豫是否应该告诉你...你们自己录制的录像带有一盘跑到Jimmy和P.J.的书包里去了。
-Norma: Please tell me the kids didn't see it.
他们没看吧?
-Tom: Oh, no, don't worry. I caught it, I caught it right before you took off your bra.
catch: 截住,拦住 take off: 脱下
哦,没事,我及时发现阻止了...就在你脱下胸罩前。
-Norma: I have to go.
我得走了。
-Lynette: Oh, Norma. Norma, we just thought you needed to know what happened.
哦,Norma,没事的。我们只是想让你知道发生的事。
-Tom: Seriously, we're, we're cool with it so long as you keep it away from the kids.
cool: 冷静的,镇静的 as long as: 只要 keep away from: 使远离
其实我们没什么意见,只是不想让孩子看见。
-Norma: I told Leonard this was gonna happen!
我跟Leonard说过迟早要出事。
-Norma: Jimmy, P.J., close the door! Are we all buckled up?
buckle up: 扣紧汽车内座位上的安全带 buckle: 皮带扣
Jimmy,P.J.关上门。系好安全带了么?
-Lynette: Norma, wait! We're still on for next week! Norma! The water park! Right?
Norma,等等。下周你们得来啊。Norma! 水上公园!是吧?
-Julie: Mom! Mom? Mom, are you up? Mom, oh, my god!
妈!妈?妈!起床了吗?妈…哦,天啊。
-Susan: Oh. Julie! I thought you were going straight to school.
go straight: 径直走
哦,Julie! 我以为你直接去上学了。
-Julie: I, I needed money for lunch.
我得要买午饭的钱。
-Karl: There's a twenty in my pants if you can find them.
pant: 裤子
我裤子口袋里有20块...看能不能找得到了。
-Susan: Oh, uh, Julie, uh oh, Julie, uh...
哦,呃,Julie,呃...哦,呃,Julie,呃...
-Karl: Honey.
宝贝。
-Susan: Okay, there is a good explanation for what happened.
我可以解释。
-Julie: I doubt that.
doubt: 怀疑
我深表怀疑。
-Susan: You probably don't know that your father and Edie broke up last night.
你不知道你爸爸和Edie昨晚分手了。
-Julie: You slept with him the same night he broke up with her?
他分手的当晚你就和他睡在了一起。
-Susan: Well, I said it was a good explanation, not a great one.
我说了可以解释,没说可以解释通。
-Julie: Oh!
哦。
-Susan: Oh, Julie.
哦,Julie。
-Karl: Hey, pumpkin.
pumpkin: 南瓜
宝贝,早。
-Julie: Don't even!
别说。
-Susan: Oh, now I feel really awful.
awful: 可怕的
真够尴尬的。
-Karl: Me too.
是呀。
-Susan: We should not have done what we did.
昨晚我们不应该那么做。
-Karl: I know, I know. But I gotta tell you, last night was the best sex ever.
gotta: have got to
我也知道。但不管怎么说,昨晚做爱真棒。
-Susan: Wasn't it, though? You were fantastic!
fantastic: 极好的
是嘛?你也不赖。
-Karl: Hey, I was just trying to keep up with you.
keep up with you: 跟上
我当时只是想跟着你的节奏。
-Susan: Why do you think we got so good all of a sudden?
all of a sudden: 突然
你觉得我们为什么突然好起来?
-Karl: Because we've been angry at each other for so long, and we finally found a way to channel it.
channel: 开导
因为我们以前一直恶言相赠,现在终于找到疏通的机会了。
-Susan: Maybe.
也许吧。
-Karl: So what happens next?
下面该怎么办?
-Susan: Well, I'm gonna take a shower.
take a shower: 洗澡
我先洗个澡。
-Karl: No, I, I mean with us.
不是,我是说我们俩。
-Susan: Us? What do you mean? There's no us.
我们?什么意思?没有什么“我们”。
-Karl: You can't tell me you can just walk away from this chemistry we got going. I mean, what happened last night was...explosive.
walk away from: 从旁边走开 chemistry: 男女的统一性,共鸣感【最常见的意思是化学,异性之间起了化学反应,表示相互有了好感】 explosive: 爆炸性的
你不会想就这么了事吧。我们关系可刚刚好起来。要知道昨晚可是...十分火爆啊
-Susan: Karl, last night was two old friends helping each other through a rough patch. That's it.
patch: 碎片 rough: 艰苦的
Karl 昨晚只不过是两个老朋友互度难关而已,没什么。
-Karl: Susie Q...
Susie Q...
-Susan: Karl, I want to move on. I don't want to go backwards. I'm sorry, but thank you for the explosion. I really needed it.
backwards: 向后的
Karl,我要继续生活下去。我可不想走回头路。不好意思,但是谢谢你的“火爆”。我很需要。
-Mary Alice: After 48 hours of crash dieting, Gabrielle prepared to savor the fruit of her labor.
crash: 崩溃的 dieting: 节食 prepare: 准备 savor: 品尝 fruit: 效果,成果 labor: 劳动
在48小时的减肥餐后,Gabrielle准备展现一下她的劳动成果。
But she was dismayed to discover that she herself had ripened considerably.
dismay: 沮丧 ripen: 成熟 considerably: 非常的
但是她很沮丧地发现她自己...显然胖了许多。
-Gabrielle: Ralph! I need help getting dressed. Get in here! Now!
噢!Ralph!我需要人帮我把衣服穿上。进来!就现在!
I have to fit in this, so for god's sakes, put some muscle into it.
fit in: 能容纳,装进去 muscle: 力量
我必须要穿上它,你使点劲。
-Ralph: I'm trying. It won't zip.
zip: 拉
我在试...拉链拉不上。
-Gabrielle: Well, try harder.
哦,再用力点。
-Ralph: Oh! Ow. My hands hurt. I'm sorry, Ms. Solis, but I can't get you into this dress. It's just too small.
噢! 弄痛我手了。对不起,Solis夫人,我没法帮你穿上它。它实在是太小了。
-Gabrielle: Get me into this dress, and I will pay you ten more dollars a week.
帮我穿上它,每星期我再加你10美元工资。
-Ralph’s partner: I think I got it. Hold on. Hold still. Here we go. One, two, three. There.
我想我可以了,憋住气,别动。开始。一...二...三。好了。
-Gabrielle: Oh! Thank god.
噢! 谢天谢地。
-Betty: We brought you some ice cream. I know how long it's been since you’ve had any.
我们给你带了些冰淇淋,我知道你已经好久没吃了。
We'll have that in a minute, sweetheart. First, I want you to talk to me about what happened about Melanie.
再一会,我们就可以吃了,甜心。首先,我想跟你谈谈关于Melanie...到底发生了什么
-Caleb: I don't want to talk about her.
我不想跟你谈她。
-Betty: You know it breaks my heart to keep you down here like this.
break my heart: 使人心碎
你知不知道这样关着你让我很难过。
But I can't let you out until I am positive that you will never hurt anyone else again.
let out: 释放,放走 positive: 确信的
但是我不能让你出去,直到我确信...你不会伤害任何人。
And the first step is for you to show me that you understand that what you did was wrong.
但是第一步你必须让我看到你明白你所做的一切都是错的。
-Caleb: She was a bad person. She deserved it.
deserve: 应得
她不是一个好人,她活该。
-Betty: No one deserves to die like that, Caleb. Don't you agree? Very well.
没人应该像那样死去,Caleb。难道你不这么认为?很好。
If that's how it's going to be, this is how it's going to be.
如果你坚持事情这样发展的话...那我也会坚持。
-Tom: I can't believe we're doing this. If Leonard and Norma want to cut ties with us, who are we to stop them?
cut ties: 断绝关系
我简直不相信我们要这样做。如果Leonard和Norma想和我们断绝来往,我们凭什么要来阻止他们?
-Lynette: They need to know we don't judge them for what they do in the privacy of their own home.
judge: 判断 in privacy: 隐蔽的,秘密的
他们应该要明白我们并不想评论他们在自己家这干了什么事。
And, well, it's not unheard of to tape yourself while you're having sex.
unheard: 未听到的,未耳闻的
而且,在做爱时把自己录下来并不是什么耸人听闻的事。
-Tom: Well, obviously, they were so embarrassed, they don't want anything to do with us. Maybe we need to respect that.
embarrassed: 困窘的 respect: 尊敬
可是,很显然,这多么尴尬,他们并不想我们做任何事。也许我们应该尊重他们
-Lynette: I need these play dates. Tom, we need these play dates.
我需要他们家的玩伴。Tom,我们需要给孩子找个玩伴。
-Tom: Fine. Fine. But you do all the talking.
好,好,但是你来说。
-Lynette: Okay.
行。
-Lynette: Norma...
Norma...
-Norma: Aah!
噢!
-Lynette: Wait!
等等!
-Tom: Let's go.
我们走吧
-Lynette: No!
不!
-Leonard: Hi, Scavos. What are you guys doing here?
嘿,Scavos.你们来这干吗?
-Lynette: Hi. Sorry for just showing up unannounced, but, um, could we talk to you for a minute?
show up: 出现 unannounced: 未经宣布的
嘿,很抱歉突然到访,但是...我们能和你谈一下吗?
-Leonard: Sure, come on in.
当然,请进。
-Lynette: So, um, we've been trying to contact you, but you haven't been returning any of our messages.
contact: 接触 return: 恢复
这样的,呃,我们试着想要跟你们联系,可你们没回复我们的消息。
-Tom: And we really hope it isn't because of the porno video.
porno: 色情的
我们真的希望不是那个色情带子的原因。
-Lynette: Home, home movies. The fact is, we really don't care, and it's certainly no reason to keep our boys apart.
keep apart: (使)分离
家庭--家庭电影。事实是,我们并不是很在意,而且也没有理由让我们的孩子不见面呀
-Leonard: We just don't know how they found it.
我们真的不知道他们是怎么找到的。
-Tom: But you know boys, they get, they get into everything, but seriously, it's not a big deal.
get into: 对…感兴趣(或关心);开始理解(或欣赏)
但是你知道孩子…他们对任何事都好奇,但严格来说,这也不是什么大事情
I mean, just as long as you make sure it never happens again. It's the new millennium. We're, we're, we're hip.
millennium: 千禧年 hip: 非常时尚的
我的意思是,只要你们保证它不再发生,现在是新时代了,我们…我们都很时髦...
-Lynette: You know, what we're saying is, we get it. You're just having fun. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
ashamed: 羞愧的
你明白,我们要说的是,我们明白。你们只是在寻乐,没什么好感到羞耻的
-Norma: I'm just so relieved this all worked out. At one point, we actually talked about selling the house and moving.
relieved: 放心的 work out: 可以解决
这件事能解决,我真的感到很轻松。前一阵子我们还讨论过是否要卖掉房子搬走。
-Lynette: Oh, no!
哦,不!
-Norma: Thank you for being so open-minded.
open-minded: 开明的
感谢你能那么开明。
-Tom: Please, we're all adults. It's...
不必,我们都是成人了。这...
-Leonard: I gotta tell you, the most embarrassing part of that video is how poorly it was shot. The production values are ca-ca.
gotta: have got to embarrassing: 尴尬的 poorly: 拙劣地,差劲地 shoot:【电影】开拍;拍摄…的镜头 production values:【复数】[美国英语](影片、戏剧等的)制作价值,制片效果(指灯光、布景、音响等) ca-ca【A Hispanic term meaning shit: 西班牙语中表示shit】
我想说的是,这个录像最尴尬的部分是...它拍得很糟。拍摄毫无价值
-Lynette: Well, from a lay perspective, it looked very professional.
lay: 外行的 perspective: 看法 professional: 专业的
哦,从外人看来,很专业呀。
-Leonard: What you saw was an example of my earlier work. Since then, I've become much more adept at production.
example: 样本 adept: 熟练地
你们所看到的只是我一个早期作品。从那时侯开始,我对摄影很...在行。
-Lynette: Ah.
哦。
-Leonard: You know, editing and lighting.
edit: 编辑
你知道,导演和灯光。
-Norma: Leonard has always dreamed of directing movies.
direct: 导演
Leonard 一直想要拍摄一部电影。
-Leonard: Ironic, isn't it? I finally get my wish and no one ever gets to see my work.
ironic: 讽刺的
很讽刺,是不是?我最终实现了我的愿望,但没人会看到我的作品。
-Lynette: That is a damn shame.
damn: 该死的 shame: 遗憾的事
简直可惜了。
-Leonard: Norma, what do you think? Should we show them the room? Let's show them the room. Huh?
Norma,你觉得呢?应该让他们看看我们的房间吗?让他们看看我们的房间
Check out this baby. Three-chip high-def, twelve-eighty by seven-twenty lines of resolution, bounced lighting,
chip: 芯片 definition 清晰度 resolution: 分辨率 bounced lighting: 散射光
看看这些小玩意。3芯片的,高清晰,1280x720位的分辨率,闪光灯
and dark sheets so you don't get a kick off the pillows.
sheet: 床单 kick off: 踢脱 pillow: 枕头
暗色的床单,反光不会太严重。
Took me a while to learn that little trick. These walls are completely soundproof.
trick: 技巧 soundproof: 隔音的
我可是好长时间才琢磨出来了。这些墙壁是完全隔音的。
You could scream your lungs out in here, and nobody'd hear you.
scream: 喊叫 lung: 肺
你可以在这里撕心裂肺的喊,没人会听见。
-Norma: It's true.
是真的。
-Leonard: So, anytime you wanna set up a shoot, just let me know.
wanna: want to set up: 建立,开办 shoot: 摄影
所以...什么时候你们想拍,告诉我就行了。
-Norma: You guys'd love it. Once you get in front of that camera, you feel like a star.
你们会喜欢上它的。一旦你呆在摄像机前,你会觉得你就是一个明星。
-Leonard: Good night.
晚安。
-Tom: Night. (Whispering to Lynette) I'm thinking no more play dates.
whisper: 低语
晚安。我再也不想要这样的玩伴了。
-Lynette: Not a one.
一次也不要。
-Bree: Hey. We'd better hurry. The movie starts in twenty minutes.
hurry: 快点
嘿,我们最好快点。电影20分钟后就要开场了。
-George: There's been a slight change in plans. My mother had a couple of friends who really wanted to meet you,
slight: 些微的
计划有些小小的变动。我妈妈有些朋友他们很想见你
and I thought, what the heck? It could be fun. Do you mind?
heck: 见鬼
我想“有什么好怕的? 会很有意思的”你介意吗?
-Bree: Uh, no, I, I guess not.
呃,不,我-我想不会。
-George: Hey, everybody, this is Bree.
嘿,大家好,这是Bree。
-George: And this is my Uncle Sid.
这是我舅舅Sid.
-Bree: Hi.
你好。
-George: My Aunt Rosalie.
我阿姨Rosalie。
-Bree: Hello.
你好。
-George: Oh, and this is Stan Grazi, who does my mom's taxes.
tax: 税
哦,这是Stan Grazi,负责我妈妈的税金。
-Stan: She's a knockout, George. Guess I owe you an apology.
knockout: 引人注目的,迷人的 apology: 道歉
她是那么引人注目,George。我想我欠你一个道歉。
-George: Since I was single all these years, Stan kept telling my mom I was gay.
gay: 同性恋
因为这些年我都是单身,Stan 一直跟我妈妈说我是个同性恋。
-Stan: I'm still gonna need some proof. But I guess I'll be getting that in about nine months, hey, Bree?
proof: 证据
我还需要一些证据。但我想我可以得到证实在九个月内,对吗,Bree?
-Bree: What happens in nine months?
九个月内会发生什么?
-George: That's just Stan's little joke about when we're gonna start our own family.
那只是Stan开的一个玩笑关于什么时候我们会有自己的家庭。
Now just so you know, Stan, it's gonna be a while before we even think about kids.
就像你所知道的,Stan,考虑要孩子还是以后的事呢。
I want Bree all to myself for a while.
我想自己好好和Bree独处一段时间。
-Francine: Well, don't wanna wait too long. After forty, the eggs don't get any fresher. Am I right, Bree?
fresh: 有活力的
不需要等很久,40岁以后,卵就不再有活力了。我说的对吗,Bree?
-Bree: If you'll excuse me, I, uh, I have to go.
请原谅,我得走了。
-George: Bree, Bree, where are you going?
Bree,Bree,你要去哪?
-Bree: I am taking my champagne and my aging eggs, and I'm going home.
aging: 老化的
我带着我的香槟以及我的老卵,我要回家。
-George: What's wrong?
怎么了?
-Bree: George, I'm starting to think that we made a mistake rushing into this engagement.
rush into: 急冲冲 engagement: 订婚
George,我开始想我们这么快定婚是一个错误。
-George: What?
什么?
-Bree: And I'm not the only one who thinks that. Other people have said the same thing.
我并不是唯一一个这么想的。其他人也这么认为。
-George: What others? Andrew?
其他人是谁? Andrew?
-Bree: No. Dr. Goldfine, my therapist.
therapist: 医生
不是,是我的心理医生Goldfine。
-George: Your therapist? He doesn't know me.
你的心理医生?他并不了解我。
-Bree: Well, he knows me, and certainly better than you do.
可是他了解我,很明显比你更了解。
-George: How can you say that?
你怎么能这么说?
-Bree: Well, for starters, he knows the last thing I'd ever want to do is have more children.
for starters:【口语】首先,一开始(= as a starter)
是的,从开始到现在,他知道每一件事我从来都不想再要孩子。
-George: Really? Well, I didn't know.
真的? 可我并不知道。
-Bree: But you should know that. That's the kind of thing that people who are engaged are supposed to know about each other.
engaged: 订婚的
你应该知道。这是定了婚的人彼此应该知道的事。
-George: Well, it doesn't matter. I don't need children.
这没关系,我不需要孩子。
-Bree: It's not just that, George. Dr. Goldfine has other concerns about us being together, and I'm starting to think he's right.
concern: 担心
并不仅仅是这些,George。Goldfine 医生对我们在一起还有其他一些疑虑,我开始想他是对的。
-George: Look, I'll agree with Dr. Goldfine on one thing. We should slow things down.
slow down: 缓下来
你看...就一件事我跟Goldfine医生达成一致。我们应该把事情放慢些。
-Bree: Really?
真的?
-George: Yes. Just because two people are engaged doesn't mean they have to get married anytime soon.
anytime: 随时
是。两个定了婚的人并不意味着要马上结婚。
-Bree: I'll talk to Dr. Goldfine about it tomorrow.
我明天会跟Goldfine医生谈谈。
-George: Take whatever time you need.
需要的时候就去吧。
-Betty: How many times am I gonna have to ask you to fix this step? Matthew, are you gonna answer me?
fix: 修
都跟你说了几次了,要修下这楼梯?Matthew,怎么不回答我?
-Matthew: Did you leave the door open?
你是不是忘了关门了?
-Betty: How'd you do?
你那边怎样?
-Matthew: Not good. People are gonna start coming home from work soon.
不妙,他们就要下班回家了。
-Betty: Okay. We can't panic. Caleb is scared. He doesn't know the area, so he's got to be close by.
panic: 恐慌的 scared: 惊吓的 close by: 在附近
不要恐慌.Caleb已经吓到了,他不熟悉这里,应该就在附近。
Which yards haven't you checked yet?
check: 检查
哪些院子你还没找过?
-Betty: Bree, I desperately need your help.
desperate: 极度的
Bree,我十分需要你的帮助。
-Bree: Oh, dear. What's wrong?
哦,天那。怎么了?
-Betty: How do you get your hydrangeas to look so stunning? I'm systematically slaughtering my own garden.
hydrangea: 绣球花 stunning: 极好的 systematically: 有条理的 slaughter: 清理
你是怎样做到让你的绣球花看是去那么迷人?我非常系统性的清理我的花园
-Bree: Do you really want to know my secret?
你真的想知道我的秘诀?
-Betty: Oh, yes.
哦,是的。
-Bree: Horse manure. I have it delivered. Susan makes fun of me, but the proof is in the pudding.
manure: 粪肥 deliver: 寄送 the proof is in the pudding【出自谚语The proof of pudding is in the eating,直译是布丁好不好,吃了才知道。即空论不如实践】
我给它施了马粪,Susan因此取笑我,但事实胜于雄辩。
-Danielle: Hello.
你好。
-Matthew: Hey.
嘿。
-Danielle: Looking for something?
在找什么?
-Matthew: Uh, yeah. Actually, I'm looking for you.
呃... 是的。事实上,我在找你。
-Danielle: Me? You're looking for me?
我?你在找我?
-Matthew: Yeah. I've been thinking about you, and that time we met, I thought you were really cool.
是的,我一直在挂念着你,自从我们上次见面以后,我觉得你真的很不错。
-Danielle: So you came to ask me out? 'Cause I'll say yes.
ask sb. out: 约某人出去
那么你是来约我出去?因为我会答应。
-Betty: Thank you. Anything? Well, that was a waste of time.
waste: 浪费
谢谢有吗?真是浪费时间。
-Matthew: Pretty much
是呀。
-Edie: Did you hear the big news?
听到大新闻吗?
-Susan: Uh, the big news?
呃,大新闻?
-Edie: Karl and I are back together.
Karl和我又和好了。
-Susan: What?
什么?
-Edie: And I know that he stayed at your place last night, which leads me to why I'm here.
lead: 引导
我知道昨天晚上他在你那过夜了,这就是我来这的原因。
There's some stuff that I have to say, and it's not going to be pleasant.
pleasant: 令人愉快的
有些话我必须要说,听起来会不怎么舒服。
-Susan: Edie, uh....
Edie,呃...
-Edie: Whatever it was that you said to him really helped.
无论你跟他说的是什么,很有效。
He showed up with flowers and he apologized for everything. So, thank you.
apologize: 道歉
他带着花出现,为他所做的一切道歉所以...谢谢。
-Susan: I'm sorry, what?
不好意思,你说什么?
-Edie: Well, I'm not gonna say it again. It hurt my teeth the first time.
我不会说第二次。刚才就让我难以启齿了。
-Susan: No, Edie. I mean, this is so unexpected on so many levels. I don't know what to say.
unexpected: 想不到的,意外的
不,Edie. 这真的让人出乎意料。我不知道该说什么。
-Edie: Then say nothing. Oh, and, uh, here is the photo of you I found in our bed. I know he told you about it.
那就什么都不别说。哦,这是...在我们床上找到的你的照片。我知道他跟你提过。
-Susan: Why are you giving it to me?
你为什么把它给我?
-Edie: Look, I appreciate whatever it was that you did last night, but it's still important for you to understand that I won.
appreciate: 感激
你看,我很感激昨天晚上你所做的一切,但是你必须明白一件很重要的事是...我还是赢了。
-Susan: You won?
你赢了?
-Edie: Yeah. Whatever little hold you had on Karl is officially over.
officially: 正式的
是的。你跟Karl之间的任何关系都已经正式结束了。
So you can stop feeling all smug and superior that he kept that thing.
smug: 自以为是的 superior: 优越的
因此你不用再为他保留这张照片,而感到得意或是有优越感。
-Susan: Believe me, I don't feel superior.
相信我,我没觉得优越。
-Edie: Good, 'cause you shouldn't. He made his choice, and it's not you.
很好,因为你根本就不应该。他做了这个选择,他没选你。
-Susan: You're right. He made his choice.
你是对的,他做了选择。
-Gabrielle: Bree, it's still too easy to breathe. You've gotta make it tighter.
breathe: 呼吸
不,Bree,它还是太松了,你得把它弄得再紧点。
-Bree: Gaby, if I make it any tighter, you won't be able to sit down.
Gaby,如果再紧点,你就没法坐下了。
-Gabrielle: I don't care. I can't have these girls thinking I'm pregnant.
pregnant: 怀孕的
我没关系。我不能让这些女孩们知道我怀孕了。
-Bree: Do you actually think they're gonna make fun of you?
make fun of: 取笑
你真的认为她们会嘲笑你?
-Gabrielle: Trust me. They're merciless.
merciless: 残忍的
相信我,她们很无情。
-Bree: But why? I mean, surely they have friends who have children.
可是,为什么?我的意思是她们也有朋友作妈妈了啊。
-Gabrielle: When I decided to marry Carlos,
当我决定嫁给Carlos的时候,
I told these girls I would spend the rest of my days being rich and in love and childless,
rich: 富有的 childless: 无儿女的
我告诉这些女孩们,我的下半辈子将会是富有、充满爱和没有孩子的。
and they laughed at me, and they said I would just end up being another fat hausfrau living a life that I didn't plan.
laugh at: 嘲笑 end up: 结束,告终 hausfrau: 主妇
那时,她们取笑我,她们说我最终将变成一个肥胖的主妇过着我所不期望的生活
I'm not gonna give them the satisfaction of knowing they were right.
satisfaction: 满意的
我不想让他们称心,被她们说中。
-Bree: Well, maybe they'll just be happy for you.
也许她们只是替你感到开心。
-Gabrielle: Bree, my friends are models. They're never happy for anyone.
Bree,我的朋友都是模特。她们从不为任何人感到开心。
-Bree: Do you ever think you might like it?
你有没有想过也许你会喜欢?
-Gabrielle: What?
喜欢什么?
-Bree: Motherhood.
motherhood: 母性
做一个母亲。
-Gabrielle: No.
不。
-Bree: Oh, come on. You don't think you're gonna love your own baby?
哦,别这样。你就没想过你会喜欢你孩子?
-Gabrielle: Well, I'm not saying I'm not gonna grow attached to the little bugger.
attach to: 喜爱 bugger: 家伙
我不是说我对小家伙没感情。
I just don't have the motherhood gene. I wish I did, but I don't. What?
gene: 基因
我就是没有母性基因。我很希望有,可惜。笑什么?
-Bree: Well, I'm just smiling because I think a few months from now you are gonna come to me
我只是在笑,也许几个月后你会跑来跟我说,
and tell me how madly in love you are with your new little baby,
madly: 疯狂地
你疯狂的喜欢上了你的小宝贝,
and I'm gonna have to resist the urge to say 'I told you so.'
resist: 抵制 urge: 冲动
而我必须抵制住自己情绪对你说“我早就料到了”。
-Gabrielle: Maybe, but I doubt it.
有可能,但我很怀疑。
-Bree: There you go. All done.
可以了,完成。
-Gabrielle: Ah. How do I look?
看上去如何?
-Bree: Positively glowing.
positively: 绝对地
光彩照人。
-Gabrielle: Bree. Hi!
Bree...
嘿! 你们好!
-All Three Models: Hello!
嗨!
-Model: Oh, my god! You're pregnant!
哦,天啊!你怀孕了!
-Gabrielle: Bree? It's Gaby!
Bree? 是Gaby!
-Bree: Honey, it's open. Come on in.
亲爱的,门开着。进来就是了。
-Gabrielle: Hi. My, uh, friends just left, and I was hoping you could come over and cut me out of this thing.
come over: 过来 cut out of: 从…除掉
嘿,我朋友刚离开。我在等你过来,帮我把它脱掉。
-Bree: How was your little reunion?
reunion: 重聚
你的小聚会如何?
-Gabrielle: It was, um, weird.
weird: 奇怪的
有点...不可思议。
-Bree: Weird?
不可思议?
-Gabrielle: Well, Allison's mad because she's losing jobs to fourteen-year-olds,
是的, Allison快疯了因为她被一个14岁大的模特抢了饭碗。
Holly is on a strict diet of cruciferous vegetables,
cruciferous: 十字花科的 vegetable: 蔬菜
holly正在吃一些花科类的植物,还有...
and Yasmin is undergoing a new embryonic facial treatment that probably causes short-term memory loss.
undergo: 进行 embryonic: 胚胎的 facial: 面部的 treatment: 脸部的 cause: 引起 short-term: 短期的 memory: 记忆
Yasmin正在做一个新的脸部手术有可能会导致短期失忆。
You know, I just stood there the whole night trying to remember why we were ever friends.
你知道吗,整晚我就只是站在那里想要记起为什么我们曾经会成为朋友。
And I couldn't.
但我不能。
-Bree: You know, honey, people change.
你知道,大家都在变。
-Gabrielle: Yeah, but that's the thing. They haven't changed. That's who they've always been. I've changed, and I honestly don't know how.
是的,问题是,她们没变。她们还是老样子,我已经变了,在不知觉中。
-Bree: Well, maybe Susan, Lynette, and I have had a good influence on you.
influence: 影响
也许Susan Lynette 和我对你有了好影响。
-Gabrielle: I doubt that.
我也觉得是。
-Bree: Come on. When I finish up here, I will come over with my sewing kit and cut you out of that.
sewing: 缝补 kit: 装备
好了,等我把这里弄好,我会带着我的缝纫包过去的,帮你把它脱掉
-Gabrielle: All right, but hurry up, because I've been having to pee since hors d'oeuvres.
pee: 小便 hors d’oeuvre: 开胃小菜
好的,不过快点。因为从开胃小菜以后,我就想上厕所。
Are you free to go shopping tomorrow? I figured it's probably time I bought some clothes that actually fit.
figure: 认为 fit: 合身
明天有空一起购物吗?我想是时候该...买一些真正合适的衣服了。
-Bree: Well, I know a store that carries maternity clothes with designer labels.
carry: 【美国英语】【商业】有(某种商品)出售 maternity: 为妊产妇的 designer labels: (标在衣服、家具等上有设计师名字的)品牌标志
我知道有一家专卖孕妇装的店,是名牌的。
-Gabrielle: I like the sound of that. Thanks.
我喜欢你那样说。多谢。
-Mary Alice: Yes, cameras are tools designed to capture images.
capture: 捕捉
是的,照相机是用来捕捉画面的。
-Gabrielle: Wait.
等等。
-Bree: Uh, she needs me to get something for her. I will be right back.
呃,她要拿些东西。我马上回来。
-Mary Alice: But in truth, they can capture so much more.
in truth: 事实上
可事实上,它能捕捉到更多东西。
They can uncover hidden longing of men who should no longer care.
uncover: 发现 hidden: 掩藏的 longing: 渴望
它能揭示一个你从不在意的男人心底隐藏的渴望,
They can reveal the extraordinary secrets of the most ordinary marriages.
reveal: 揭示 extraordinary: 非常的 ordinary: 普通的
它能泄露许多普通婚姻的特殊秘密,
Most amazing of all, cameras can quietly and clearly reveal to us our dreams.
amazing: 惊人的 quietly: 秘密地,私下地
最惊人的是,它可以在不知觉中告知我们…
Dreams we didn't even know we had.
曾经从未拥有过的梦想。
词汇解析:amber 校对:Cici



评 论


