看绝望的主妇学英语 Desperate Housewives 第五季 11集:Home Is the Place
Previously on Desperate Housewives…
前景提要
-Alex: Do you do weddings?
wedding: 婚礼
你承办婚礼吗?
-Bree: Oh, my goodness. Are you two...
goodness: 天哪
哦,老天,你们俩...
-Andrew: yes. Yes, we're getting married.
get married: 结婚
是,是的,我们要结婚了。
-Bree: Oh, my god! Congratulations.
congratulations: 祝贺
噢!天哪,恭喜啊。
-Mary Alice: Those in love made the next step... or tried to.
try to: 尝试
恋爱中的人们,关系更进一步... 或者,尝试着进展。
-Jackson: I need more from you.
need: 需要
我要你给更多。
-Carlos: Gaby, I can see them.
Gaby 我能看见她们了,
-Gaby: That's wonderful!
太好了!
-Mary Alice: Eyes were opened in more ways than one...
大开眼界的,不只一人...
-Roberta: The key is this doctor guy.
key: 关键
那个医生是关键。
-Karen: Maybe we should just bite the bullet and go to Boston
bite the bullet: 勇敢地行动 bite: 咬 bullet: 子弹
也许我们该豁出去跑一趟波士顿。
-Warren: You break up my family. You burn down my business.
break up: 破坏 burn down: 烧毁 business: 生意
你破坏我家庭,捣毁我生意。
-Porter: I didn't burn down your club.
club: 酒吧
我没放火烧你酒吧。
-Mary Alice: And a threat was made.
threat: 威胁
威胁由此产生。
-Karen: Someday, you'll be walking home from school,
某天,你放学回家。
and you'll just disappear. Poof!
disappear: 消失 poof:【吹灭蜡烛的声音】
然后就这样消失了,噗!
-Mary Alice: There are important events in the history of every family...
important event: 重大事件
每个家庭,都有历史性的时刻...
joyous births...
joyous: 愉快的 birth: 出生
喜添贵子,
tragic deaths...
tragic: 悲剧的 death: 死亡
家人猝死..
sublime weddings.
sublime: 壮观的
圣洁婚礼...
But the one event every family dreads,
event: 事件 dread: 害怕
然而每个家庭都害怕的是...
is the moment when they finally meet...the in-laws.
finally: 最终 in-laws: 【复】姻亲(无血缘关系的亲戚)
最终见到亲家的那一刻。
-Andrew: Mom, this is Alex's mom Melina Cominis.
妈妈,这位是Alex的母亲Melina Cominis。
-Bree: It's a pleasure to meet you.
pleasure: 高兴
很高兴见到你。
-Melina: Likewise and thanks again, for letting me stay here.
likewise: 同样的 let: 容许
我也是,再次感谢您的慷慨留宿。
I just can't afford a motel right now.
afford: 供应得起 motel: 汽车旅馆 right now: 现在
我现在已经住不起旅馆了。
-Bree: Oh, Alex mentioned that you were laid off from your job.
mention: 提及 layoff: 解雇
噢,Alex提过,你刚下岗了。
I'm so sorry.
我深表遗憾。
-Melina: Oh, that's okay. You know what they say-- in a bad economy,
economy: 经济
噢,这没什么,他们总会借口市道不好,
the mature cocktail waitress is the first to go.
mature: 成熟的 cocktail: 鸡尾酒 waitress: 女侍员
年纪大点的服务生总会先走人。
-Bree: Really? They say that?
是么? 人们这样说?
-Alex: Mom, we're going to get your luggage. That way you two can get acquainted.
luggage: 行李 acquainted: 结识的
妈,我们去帮你拿行李,刚好你们俩好好聊聊。
-Bree: Thank you again for making the long drive down from Oakdale.
drive down: 驱车..向下
再次感谢你千里迢迢从Oakdale开车过来。
It's high time our families got together.
it's high time: 是时候(做)
正好我们两家聚聚。
-Melina: Absolutely.
absolutely: 确实地
当然,
Now speaking of family get-togethers, that reminds me…
speak of: 说到 get-togethers: 家庭聚会 remind: 提及
说到家人团聚,这倒提醒了我,
I call Christmas.
call:【预定】
我预定圣诞节。
-Bree: What?
什么?
-Melina: Now that the boys are getting hitched,
now that: 既然 get hitched: 结婚
既然孩子成了一家人,
we're going to have to split the holidays, so...
split: 分开
我们当然也得分开过节假日,所以..
I call Christmas.
我预定圣诞节。
-Bree: Wait, wait, wait. This is not how we decide family get-togethers.
decide: 决定
等等,等等,我们可不能这样安排家庭聚会。
-Melina: What's the problem?
problem: 问题
有何不妥?
I'm letting you have Thanksgiving.
thanksgiving: 感恩节
我把感恩节让给你啦。
-Bree: I'm a caterer. I oversee events on Thanksgiving.
caterer: 备办宴席者 oversee: 监督
我做宴会承办的,感恩节要工作。
It's the one holiday that I don't need.
这恰恰是我不需要的一个节日。
-Melina: Great. I call Thanksgiving.
太好了,那我要感恩节。
-Bree: Stop that! You can't call all the major holidays.
major: 主要的
嘿!你不能就这样抢走所有重要节日。
-Melina: No one's called Easter yet. Going once...
Easter: 复活节 once: 一次
还没人预订复活节,复活节第一次...
-Bree: I am not bidding on time with my son.
bid: 投标
我才不要出价抢跟儿子相处的时间。
-Melina: Going twice...
复活节第二次..
-Bree: Melina, this is childish!
childish: 幼稚的
Melina,这样太幼稚了!
-Melina: My hand's going up.
hand: 手 up: 向上
我要抢了..
-Bree: Fine! I call Easter.
好吧,我要复活节。
-Melina: That wasn't so hard, was it?
那不是很难,对吧?
-Bree: Look, I know it's very difficult for two families to negotiate the holidays,
difficult: 困难 negotiate: 商议
听着,我知道两个家庭分隔节日是很难的。
but I feel strongly that this is not the best way to handle it,
strongly: 强烈的 handle: 解决
但我坚信这不是最佳解决方案,
and I'm sure that the boys would agree with me
agree with: 同意
我相信孩子们也会同意我的看法。
-Melina: Hey, I called Christmas fair and square,
fair: 公平的 square: 正直的
我可是光明正大的赢了圣诞节,
and I want to spend it with my son..
spend: 度过
我想和我的儿子一起过。
So if you go to the boys and try and screw me over,
screw someone over: 欺负某人
如果你在孩子们面前捣鬼,坏了我的好事,
I'll remember that for a really long time. Got it?
remember:记得
我可是会记恨你很久的,懂了吗?
-Mary Alice: Yes, there are important events in the history of every family.
是的,每个家庭都有历史性的时刻。
Meeting the in-laws is one.
亲家见面是其中之一。
-Melina: Look at you two. Have I told you how great you look together? Have I?
great:美好
看看你们俩,我说过你们有多般配吗?有吗?
-Mary Alice: The moment you decide to hate them is another.
moment: 时刻 decide: 决定 hate: 憎恨 another: 另一
你决定仇视对方则是其二。
There's a home for everyone in suburbia,
suburbia:【总称】郊区
在郊区,你总能找到一个舒心的家。
and a realtor eager to find you exactly what you want.
realtor: 经纪人 eager: 渴望的 exactly: 恰好地
房产经纪人会千方百计知你所想
Whether it's something warm and cozy...
warm: 温暖的 cozy: 舒适的
无论是温馨惬意...
or something dignified and elegant...
dignified: 有品格的 elegant: 优雅的
还是高贵典雅...
or perhaps something affordable with a porch.
perhaps: 也许 affordable: 不太昂贵的 porch: 门廊
或者仅仅一栋可以负担的体面小屋。
Yes, everyone wants a home with a lovely exterior,
lovely: 可爱的 exterior: 外表
是的,每个需要家的人,都有一个好经纪人。
mostly so the neighbors will never suspect the ugliness going on inside.
neighbor: 邻居 suspect: 怀疑 ugliness: 丑陋 go on: 发生 inside: 内部
这样邻居们才不会知道屋内的丑闻。
-Edie: There you are!
你在这呀!
I just got the listing for the Adams house.
listing: 清单
我刚拿到了Adams家的房产清单。
And I think the best way to celebrate is for my sexy husband to take me out dancing.
the best way to: 最好的方法 celebrate: 庆祝 sexy: 性感的 husband: 丈夫 dance: 跳舞
我想最好的庆功办法就是让我性感的老公带我去跳舞。
-David: oh, babe. Not tonight.
tonight: 今晚
噢,宝贝,今晚不行。
-Edie: What's wrong? Are you sick?
sick: 生病的
怎么了? 你病了?
-David: No. No, uh... I'm good.
不,不,没...我很好。
-Edie: Really? Because you look like hell.
hell: 地狱
真的? 但你看上去一团糟。
-David: I'm good, Edie. I, just, uh... I-I just...
我很好,Edie 我只是...
feel like staying in tonight, that's all.
feel like: 想要 that's all: 仅此而已
想待在家里,没别的。
-Edie: Ah, you're doing it again.
啊,你又来了。
There is something upsetting you, and instead of letting me help you, you're shutting me out.
upset: 烦乱的 instead of: 而不是 shut out: 把…关在外面;把…排斥在外
肯定有什么让你烦心的事,你非但不让我帮你反而排斥我。
-David: I just don't like to talk about my troubles.
talk about: 谈论 trouble: 麻烦
我只是不喜欢谈论我的烦麻。
-Edie: And I don't like sitting at home doing nothing when I feel like dancing.
我还不喜欢想跳舞的时候闷在家里呢。
-David: Edie...
Edie...
I am sorry you're unhappy.
我很抱歉让你不开心了。
-Edie: There's something you should know about me.
know: 了解
你应该了解我。
I don't stay unhappy for long.
stay: 停留
我从不会一直这么不高兴。
-Jackson: Hey, it's Jackson, having fun at the old alma mater.
have fun: 玩的开心 alma mater: 母校
嘿,我是Jackson 在母校我过得很开心,
We need to talk.
但我们得谈谈。
Only good news, I promise.
promise: 保证
是好消息,我保证。
Did I mention miss you? Bye.
mention: 提到 miss: 想念
天呐,我真想你!再见。
-Bob: We moved here to get away from that.
move: 搬家 get away from: 远离
我们搬到这,就是为了远离这事。
-Lee: I didn't. I moved here for you.
我可不是,我搬到这是为了你。
-Bob: I've got a deposition to prep for.
deposition: 证词;(未到庭证人提供的)作证书,(在法庭外作的)宣誓证词 prep:【口语】预备
我还有案子在身。
-Lee: Well, then I will go clubbing without you,
go clubbing: 【去夜总会】 without: 没有
好吧,那我自己一个人去了,
and I will be wearing my “not coming home alone” jeans.
wear: 穿 alone: 单独的 jeans: 牛仔裤
我会穿着"今夜我单身"的牛仔裤。
-Bob: By "wearing," you mean "squeezing into"?
squeeze: 挤
说"穿"不如说是"插进去"吧?
-Lee: Damn you!
damn: 诅咒
去你的!
-Susan: A!
啊!
-Lee: Miss anything? Need a juicy recap?
miss: 错过 juicy: 多汁的 a juicy recap: 【精彩重现 juicy: [口语](低级趣味小说等)有趣的,津津有味的;刺激性强的 recap:[口语]=recapitulate: 扼要重述;扼要说明;概括】
错过什么好戏了?要不要精彩重现?
-Susan: No. I'm good.
不,我很好。
Boy, you just have to stick your nose into other people's business.
stick your nose into: 【让你忙着】 stick: 粘贴 business: 事务
嗯,你只是喜欢八卦而已。
I'm sorry. If you're interested, I have dirt on Bree.
interested: 感兴趣 dirt: 污垢【这里指“丑闻”】
抱歉啊,要是你有兴趣,我知道Bree的丑闻。
-Lee: Go on.
go on: 继续
说吧。
-Susan: You're no better than I am.
你比我好不到哪去。
-Lee: Nicely played, Mayer.
nicely: 漂亮的
说的不错,Mayer.
-Susan: Thank you. Can I go clubbing with you tonight?
多谢,我今晚能和你一起混吗?
-Lee: Overplayed, Mayer.
overplay: 做的过分
过火了,Mayer。
-Susan: Oh, please! I'm bored.
bored: 无聊的
拜托啦!我无聊死了。
Mike has M.J., Jackson's out of town,
have: 带走
Mike带走了MJ Jackson出城了。
And you're going to need somebody to bitch about Bob to.
bitch about: 抱怨
再说你需要一个能听你抱怨Bob的人。
-Lee: You do realize I'm going to a gay club.
realize: 知道 gay: 同性恋【男】
你知道我是去同性恋酒吧?
-Susan: Yes, that's fine. Gays love me.
恩,没关系,同志都爱我。
-Lee: Name three.
name: 说出名字
报三个名字
-Susan: You, Bob, Andrew.
你,Bob,Andrew
-Lee: That’s two.
这只算两个。
-Susan: Come on.,
拜托。
-Lee: All right, all right!
好吧,好吧。
Meet at my house at 9:00.
meet: 见面
9点我家见。
And you might want to pile on the makeup.
pile on: 堆积 makeup: 化妆品
你最好化化妆。
Drag queens get their first drink free.
drag queens: 男扮女装的男子同性恋者 free: 免费
变装女王能免费喝头杯酒。
-Bob: Okay, well, let's try something easier.
try: 尝试 easier: 容易些
好吧,我们从更简单的问题开始。
After you left Mr. Schilling's nightclub, where did you go first?
left: 离开 nightclub: 夜总会
离开Schilling的酒吧后,你先去了哪?
-Preston: I don't recall.
recall: 回想起
我不记得了。
-Bob: Did you maybe drive somewhere?
drive: 驱车 somewhere: 某处
你有可能开车去哪吗?
Okay, Porter, when the D.A. who also has this police report asks you these questions,
D.A.: District Attorney地方检查官 police: 警方 report: 报告
听着 Porter 当检察官或警察问这些问题时,
and you suddenly "don't recall" anything you said, That's bad.
suddenly: 突然地bad.: 坏的
你突然什么都"不记得了" 可不是好事。
-Lynette: Bob, you've been going at this for over an hour. Why don't we take a break?
break: 中断 take a break: 休息一下
Bob 你就这个问题都讲了1个小时我们休息一下吧?
-Bob: Fine. Porter, go and chill. I need to talk to your parents anyway.
chill: 【美国俚语】把…打昏【这里指“冷静下来,休息一下”】
好吧 Porter 你去歇会我要跟你父母谈谈
Okay, what's going on here?,
发生了什么?
-Tom: Nothing ,You know, Porter's just nervous.
nervous: 紧张
没什么,你知道的Porter只是紧张。
-Bob: He was also nervous when I first interviewed him in jail,
interview: 面谈 jail: 监狱
第一次在监狱会面时,他也紧张。
but he was still able to keep his story straight.
但至少能说个故事出来。
-Sister: Preston! Where's my CD player?
CD player: CD机
Preston! 我的CD机去哪了?
-Preston: What?
什么?
-Sister: Parker saw you take it.
take: 拿
Parker看见你拿了。
Mom, please tell Preston to stop taking my stuff.
stop sb. doing sth.: 阻止某人做某事 stuff: 东西
妈妈,你让Preston别再拿我东西啦。
-Lynette: Honey, that's Porter.
亲爱的,那是Porter。
-Sister: No, it isn't.
不,他不是。
Right. Sorry.
噢,对了,对不起啊。
-Bob: You guys have something you want to tell me?
guy: 家伙
你们俩有什么要跟我说的?
-Carlos: Gaby, you should've come.
should: 应当
Gaby 你应该跟我们一起的。
You missed a beautiful walk in the park.
miss: 错过 park: 公园
你错过了公园里的好景色。
-Juanita: Mommy, look at what we found! A ladybug!
ladybug: 瓢虫
妈妈,快看我们发现了什么!一只瓢虫!
-Gaby: Neat!
真可爱!
Why don't you guys go wash your hands for lunch?
wash: 洗 lunch: 午餐
你们快去洗洗手吃饭了。
-Carlos: Oh, look at her teeny black polka dots.
teeny:极小的 polka dots: 中圆点花
噢,看她那黑色的圆点斑纹。
There's so many beautiful things I used to take for granted before I lost my sight.
beautiful: 美丽的 take for granted: 想当然
有太多美好的事物在我失明之前被我忽略了。
-Gaby: Yeah, pretty.
是啊,真漂亮。
What? You're going to be late for work.
be late: 迟到
说什么呢?你上班要迟到了。
-Carlos: Yeah, about that... I should've told you before...,
呃,我应该早点告诉你的...
-Gaby: What?
什么?
-Carlos: I don't want to give massages anymore, so I quit the country club.
massage: 按摩 anymore: 现在 quit: 辞职 country club: 乡村俱乐部
我不想再做按摩师了,我辞掉了乡村俱乐部的工作。
-Gaby: You quit? Why?
你辞职? 为什么啊?
-Carlos: Okay, I know this is going to sound bad...
好吧,我知道这听起来不好..
when I was blind, I never realized that...
blind: 失明 realize: 意识到
我看不见的时候,从没意识到...
naked people are gross, especially the middle-aged slobs that belong to this country club.
naked: 裸体的 gross: 恶心的 middle-aged: 中年的 slob: 懒虫 belong to: 属于
人裸体的样子这么恶心,尤其是俱乐部里那些中年老男人。
-Gaby: Carlos, you don't just quit a job because of a few moles and a little back fat.
mole: 痣 back fat: 背膘
Carlos,你不能因为几颗痣一点肥肉就辞职。
-Carlos: But I can find other work.
但我能找到其它工作。
Now that I have my vision back, the world is my oyster.
vision: 视觉 the world is sb.’s oyster: 人生最得意的时刻 oyster: 牡蛎
我已经复明,想做什么都行了。
In the meantime, I just want to spend a few days with my daughters
meantime: 同时 daughter: 女儿
再说,我也想多花点时间陪陪孩子。
and smelling the roses, soaking in nature.
smell: 闻 soak in: 吸入 nature: 自然
闻闻花香,沉浸在大自然的美丽之中。
Like that beautiful spider right there, God's perfect design.
spider: 蜘蛛 god: 上帝 perfect: 完美的 design: 设计
就像这只美丽的蜘蛛一样,真是上帝的完美创作啊。
Isn't it amazing?
amazing: 令人惊异的
难道不惊叹么?
-Gaby: Yeah, it sure is.
是啊,很神奇。
I'll get you the want ads.
want ad: 招聘广告
我给你拿招聘广告。
-Orson: What's all this?
这是干吗呢?
-Bree: Oh, Andrew thought it would be nice to have a formal dinner tomorrow night.
formal: 正式的 dinner: 晚宴
哦 Andrew提议明晚正式聚餐。
-Orson: Well, if it's a formal dinner, why aren't we using your grandmother's tablecloth?
grandmother: 祖母 tablecloth: 桌布
嗯,如果是正餐,为什么不用你祖母留下的桌布?
-Bree: For Melina? She'd probably blow her nose on it.
blow: 吹 nose: 鼻子
为了Melina?她说不定拿它擦鼻子呢。
No, I will not let that woman defile nana's lace.
defile: 弄脏 nana: 奶奶 lace: 蕾丝
不,我才不让那女人弄脏我奶奶的蕾丝。
-Orson: I know Melina isn't what we hoped for,
hope: 希望
我知道Melina并非我们希望的那样,
But let’s face it…in-laws rarely are
rarely: 很少
但面对现实,亲家有几个让人满意呢。
Need I remind you of my mother?
remind: 提醒
需要我提起我的妈妈吗?
-Bree: Well, at least Gloria had the good taste to have a paralyzing stroke
at least: 至少 taste: 领略,体会,感受 paralyze: 瘫痪 stroke: 中风
至少Gloria懂得适时中风,
so we don't have to deal with her.
deal with: 应付
我们不用为她烦心。
-Orson: True. That was a Merry Christmas.
a Merry Christmas: 【圣诞节,大喜事】
是啊,那的确是件大喜事。
But Melina appears to be in tragically good health,
appears: 显现 tragically: 悲剧的 health: 健康
但Melina可健康着呢,
which means we've got quite a few beer-drenched holidays ahead of us.
mean: 意味着 quite a few: 相当多 beer-drenched:【充满啤酒的 drenched: 湿透的】 ahead of: 在..前面
也就是说,还有好几个欢聚时刻等着我们呢。
You have got to figure out some way to be nice to her.
figure out: 想出
你得想办法跟她和平共处。
-Bree: I don't know if I have it in me. She's such a troglodyte.
have it: 优越,有利 troglodyte: 穴居人, 隐居者,老顽固,类人猿
我不知道我有没这本事,她简直就是个野蛮人。
-Orson: Please. No one's better at plastering on a fake smile, and pretending to like someone than Bree Hodge.
plaster on: 在...上面涂抹或粘贴 plaster: 涂以石灰 fake: 虚假的 pretend to: 假装
拜托。虚言假势,逢场作戏,还有谁比Bree Hodge更擅长。
-Bree: You're sweet.
sweet: 悦耳的
你真好。
Oh, all right. Get the lace tablecloth.
好吧,拿蕾丝桌布来。
I will pretend to like this woman,
我会假装喜欢这女人。
just like pretended to like nana.
就像我假装喜欢奶奶那样。
-Lynette: Bob, we're so sorry. We meant to tell you. We really did.
mean: 打算
Bob 我们很抱歉,我们是想告诉你的,真的。
-Bob: So where the hell is porter?
the hell: 究竟
那Porter究竟去哪了?
-Tom: We don't know.
我们不知道。
-Lynette: That's why we've been trying to get you to postpone the hearing date
postpone: 延期 the hearing date: 聆审日期
所以我们才一再希望你延期听证会
until we could find him.
直到我们可以找到他。
-Bob: Oh, we have a much bigger problem than the hearing date.
我们现在的问题远比听证会大。
-Lynette: What do you mean?
你的意思是?
-Bob: Well, now that I'm aware of this, I have a legal obligation to report it.
be aware of: 知道 legal: 法律的 obligation: 责任 report: 报告
我既然知道了这事,就有义务举报。
-Tom: What? No, no, no, you can't…
什么?不不不,你不能…
-Bob: Now my hands are tied.
be tied: 被约束
我没有办法。
-Lynette: But if the judge finds out that Porter's gone, we have to forfeit the bail.
judge: 法官 find out: 发现 forfeit: 没收 bail: 保释
如果法官发现Porter不见了,我们就得付保释费。
-Tom: And since my genius wife used our restaurant to post bond,
genius: 天才 restaurant: 餐馆 pose a bond: 交保证金 post: 公布 bond: 债券
而我这位天才老婆已经把我们的餐馆都预支了,
our only source of income will vanish.
source: 来源 income: 收入 vanish: 消失
我们唯一的收入来源都没了。
-Bob: I feel for you guys. I really do.
feel for: 同情
我为你们感到抱歉,真的。
But I'm not getting disbarred over this
disbar: 取消律师资格
但我会因此被吊销执照。
-Tom: Bob...please. We're desperate.
desperate: 绝望的
Bob...拜托,我们已无路可走。
-Bob: I'm not meeting with the D.A. for another two days.
两天内,我不会去见检察官。
If you find Porter by then, I won't say anything.
by then: 到那时
如果到时你找到了Porter 我什么也不说。
-Lynette: Thank you so much. We are so sorry that we…
太感谢了,我们太抱歉了…
-Bob: Just find him.
赶紧找到他。
-Gaby: Yeah, yeah. I'm coming.
好,好,我会进去的。
-Bradely: Gabrielle Solis? Bradley Scott. Remember?
remember: 记得
Gabrielle Solis? Bradley Scott 还记得吗?
Carlos and I did some business back in his finance days.
do business: 经商 finance: 财政
以前Carlos和我有过生意来往
-Gaby: Oh, right! How are you?
哦对的! 你近来如何?
-Bradely: Good. Maria and I finally got married. I started my own investment fund.
start: 开创 investment: 投资 fund: 基金
不错,Maria和我终于结婚了,我开创了自己的投资基金。
How about yourself?
你呢?
-Gaby: Good, good. I don't know if you heard Carlos got his sight back.
if: 是否 sight: 视力 back: 恢复
不错,不知道你有没有听说... Carlos恢复视力了。
-Bradely: Oh, my…my god. I had no idea.
哦,天哪,我一点都不知道。
-Gaby: I know. Life is good.
life: 生活
我知道,生活是美好的。
now all we he to do is find him a job.
现在我们要做的是给他找份工作。
-Bradely: Well, your timing just might be perfect here.
timing: 时间的掌握 perfect: 完美的
呃,时机太巧了。
-Gaby: Why? You need someone?,
此话怎讲? 你招人?
-Bradely: As a matter of fact, I do
事实上是这样。
Think he'd be interested?
interested: 感兴趣
你觉得他会感兴趣吗?
-Gaby: I don't know. I…I can't speak for Carlos.
speak for: 替..讲话
我不知道,我不能代替Carlos做主
-Bradely: It's an upper-level position with lots of perks and the salary's in the high six figures.
upper: 上部的 level: 标准 position: 职位 perk: 好处 salary: 薪水 figure: 数字
这可是个津贴丰厚的高层职位,薪水高达6位数。
-Gaby: I'm now speaking for Carlos. He'll take it.,
现在我替Carlos做主吧,他要了。
-Bradely: Great. I'd kill to have Carlos on my team. That man was a shark.
I'd kill to:【我真想,迫不及待】 shark: 鲨鱼;【俚语】行家,专家,内行
很好,能让Carlos加入我是在所不惜啊,他可是个狠角色。
Have him call me.
让他打电话给我
-Gaby: Yeah.
好的。
so long, sucka.
sucka:【傻瓜】
再见,傻瓜。
-Karen: Hello. Is Dr. Heller in?
你好,Heller医生在吗?
-Receptionist: I'm sorry. He's not. Can I help you?
不好意思,他不在,有什么可以效劳的吗?
-Roberta: Not really. See, we need to talk to him about Dave Williams.
talk about: 谈论
没什么,听着,我们要和他聊聊Dave Williams的事
-Receptionist: Dave Williams?
Dave Williams?
-Karen: Yeah. Dave is a patient of his.
patient: 病人
对,Dave是他的病人。
I'm sure you know him… blond hair, blue eyes, creepier than all get-out.
blond: 金发的 blue: 蓝色的creepy: 使人毛骨悚然的 get-out: 【逃跑的人】
我肯定你认识他,金头发蓝眼睛,比在逃的犯人都令人毛骨悚然。
-Receptionist: I'm not in a position to confirm that.
in a position to: 能够(处在可以...的位置,有能力) position: 位置 confirm: 确定
这我可不能确认。
And I don't think the doctor would discuss his patients with you either.
discuss: 讨论 either: 也(不)
我想医生也不会和你们讨论他的病人的。
-Roberta: Oh, he'll talk to us.
哦,他会和我们说的。
Dave's been up to some pretty sick stuff...
up to: 正在做 pretty: 想当的 sick: 恶心的 stuff: 东西
Dave正忙于见不得人的勾当..
-Karen: Yeah.
是啊。
-Roberta: And I…I'm bettin' dollars to doughnuts, Dr. Heller would want to know all about it.
bet: 打赌 dollars to doughnuts:【美国俚语】(这是)确定无疑(或毫无疑问)的,(这是)十拿九稳的 doughnuts: 油炸圈饼
我敢肯定Heller医生想了解详情。
So when does he get here?
他什么时候到这?
-Receptionist: I couldn't say.
这我可说不准。
-Karen: We'll wait.
我们等等吧
-Receptionist: Is that a beer?
那是啤酒吗?
-Roberta: We're not in a position to confirm that.
我们也无法确认。
-Juanita: Your new shoes are pretty.
shoes: 鞋
你的新鞋子真漂亮。
-Gaby: Aren't they? Daddy bought them for mommy…
buy for: 给..买
是吗? 爸爸给妈妈买的...
he doesn't know it yet…
目前他还不知道...
because he has a wonderful new job.
因为他有个很好的新工作。
He doesn't that yet either.
either: 也(不)
他也不知道这事。
-Carlos: Good news!,
好消息!
-Gaby: Me too. Me first.
me too: 我也是
我也有,我先说。
Remember Bradley Scott?
还记得Bradley Scott吗?
I ran into him today, and he's giving you a job.
run into: 遇到
今天我碰巧遇到他了,他要给你一份工作。
-Carlos: That's... nice.
那...不错。
But that's what I wanted to tell you.
但我也正想告诉你工作的事。
I just got a job.
我刚得到一份工作。
-Gaby: Fantastic!
太棒了!
Well, you didn't sign a contract or anything, did you?
sign a contract: 签合同
你还没签合同吧,签了吗?
Because maybe we can get them into a bidding war.
bidding war: 投标战
或许可以让他们两家单位出价竞争...
-Carlos: Unlikely. It's at the community center.
community: 社区 center: 中心
不大可能,是在社区中心。
I'm going to work with the blind.
the blind: 盲人
我要和盲人一起工作。
-Gaby: Oh, Great.
哦,很好。
And what's the signing bonus for that…a cup of pencils?
signing bonus : 签约奖金 bonus: 奖金 pencils: 铅笔
那工作有啥进账呢...一筒铅笔吗?
I thought you were going to get a better job.
我原以为你得到了更好的工作呢。
What happened to the world being your oyster?
happen to: 发生 world being your oyster:【The whole world is your oyster: 整个世界都是你大展宏图之地。】
现在眼睛好了,不是可以随心所欲了吗?
-Carlos: It’s meaningful work.
meaningful: 有意义的
这是份有意义的工作
-Gaby: Who cares? Bradley's offering perks.
care: 在乎 offer: 提供 perk: 好处
谁在乎这个啊?Bradley还提供津贴呢。
What kind of perks is this blind thing offering?
跟瞎子干活有啥好处?
-Carlos: Hmm, let me think...
让我想想...
making the world a better place, personal fulfillment.
personal: 个人的 fulfillment: 实现,完成
让世界变得更美好,充实自我。
-Gaby: Carlos, I've spent the last five years working with the blind.
Carlos 过去五年来我一直在和你这个盲人打交道。
Trust me, it's not that fulfilling.
trust: 相信 fulfilling: 令人高兴的,令人满意的
相信我吧,没那么充实的。
-Carlos: Look, when I lost my sight, those people were there for me.
lost one’s sight: 失明
我在失明的时候,是那些人在支持着我。
Ah, I just want to give something back.
back: 回报
我只是想做些回报。
Not to mention... Bradley Scott?
更别提那个... Bradley Scott?
Kind of an ass.
ass: 蠢人
整一个混球儿。
No way I'm working for that guy.
no way: 决不
我才不会帮他打工。
-Gaby: Hi, Bradley, it's Gaby Solis.
嗨,Bradley,我是Gaby Solis。
I just talked to him, and he's intrigued.
intrigued: 有兴趣的
我和他谈过了,他很有兴趣呢。
How would you like to come over for dinner and seal the deal?
come over: 过来 seal the deal: 成交
愿意过来吃顿饭把事情谈妥吗?
-Susan: This is so fun! I haven't been out in ages.
in ages: 很久
真带劲儿啊! 我好久没出来逛了。
Tonight, I am gonna...boogie-oogie-oogie
boogie: 摆动身体
今晚我要...闻歌起舞啦。
-Lee: You really haven't been out in a while.
看来你确实有一阵子没出来了。
Go ahead. What do you want to drink?
尽情玩吧你想喝点什么?
-Susan: Oh, I'll have what you're having.
你喝什么我就喝什么。
-Lee: Cirrhosis of the liver, coming right up.
cirrhosis: 硬化 liver: 肝脏 right up: 马上
那可伤肝呢,马上就来。
-Susan: Hey, Jackson. What?
嘿,Jackson什么?
Really?
真的?
-Bree: Here you are.
你在这啊
-Melina: Yeah, just taking in the scenery.
scenery: 风景
对啊,边喝酒边赏景呢。
-Bree:You know, we actually have some very comfortable patio furniture in the backyard...
actually: 事实上 comfortable: 舒适的 patio:【美国英语】(和房屋连接的)室外就餐处;露台,平台 furniture: 家具 backyard: 后院
我家后院有舒服的露天家具..
along with a place to put your recyclables.
along with: 共同,连同 recyclable: 垃圾
还有扔垃圾的地方。
-Melina: No, I'm good here.
不用了,我在这很好
-Bree: What have you two been up to?
你们俩在干嘛呢?
-Alex: Edie was showing us some houses.
Edie带我们看看房子。
-Melina: I didn't know you two were house hunting.
house hunt: 寻找住房
我都不知道你俩要找房子呢。
-Andrew: Yes. We've got to get out of that apartment.
get out of: 搬出 apartment: 公寓
对啊,我们得搬出那套公寓了。
-Bree: Did Edie show you the Adams house?
Edie有没有带你们看Adam家的房子?
-Alex: She did, and it's fantastic.
fantastic: 极好的
有啊,那房子非常棒
-Andrew: And if we could figure out a way to move it next to a toxic waste dump,
figure out: 算出 toxic: 有毒的 waste dump: 废料堆
如果我们能想法把它搬到毒气垃圾站的附近
maybe we could afford it.
我们就能买得起了。
-Melina: Holy moly, would you, look at these prices!
holy moly:【俚语】= holy cats: [俚语] [表示惊奇、疑惑或困惑] 天哪! moly: 有白花和黑根的魔草
我的老天,你看看这价钱!
You know, for this kind of money you could come up to my town
有这么多钱你都能在我那小镇
and get a 5-bedroom house on the lake.
a 5-bedroom house: 5居室 on the lake: 在湖边
买个湖边的五居室房子了。
-Bree: I'm sure they could.
我肯定他们可以。
It's too bad your practice is all the way down here.
practice: 事业
可惜你的诊所在这边呢。
-Melina: It is now, but it's not like there aren't sick people in Oakdale.
sick: 病人
诊所现在是在这,但Oakdale又不是没病人。
-Bree: Who undoubtedly already have doctors, just like your patients in Fairview have you.
undoubtedly: 毫无疑问 already : 已经
那些病人肯定有医生照顾了,就像美景市的病人也有你来照顾一样、
-Melina: Fine. Let them stay in that teeny apartment.
teeny: 极小的
好吧,就让他们呆在那间小公寓。
Who cares if the other doctors make fun of you?
make fun of: 嘲笑某人
谁又会在乎其他医生嘲笑你呢?
-Andrew: You know, I think we should talk about this.
我想我们得谈谈这事。
You'd really like Oakdale…no traffic, fresh air.
traffic: 交通 fresh air: 新鲜空气
你会喜欢上Oakdale的,交通顺畅,空气清新。
-Alex: Hey, I'm open. Maybe we can go up there this weekend and look around.
open: 有空 weekend: 周末 look around: 察看
嘿,我有空噢,不如我们这个周末去看看。
-Bree: What are you doing?
你在干嘛?
-Melina: Just helping the boys live the American dream.
live: 实践;(在自己的生活中)表现 dream: 梦想
帮助这俩小子实现美国梦啊。
I'll tell you what.
告诉你吧。
If the guy move up near me, you can have them for Christmas.
如果他们挨着我住,你可以叫他们到你这来过圣诞。
-Lee: I just wish there was someway I could get back at Bob.
wish: 希望 get back at: 报复某人
我真想好好报复一下Bob。
I'm so sick of his smug attitude.
sick of: 厌烦 smug: 自以为是 attitude: 态度
我烦死他那种自以为是的态度了
"I'm the provider. I, bring home the bacon."
provider: 供给者 bacon: 烤肉
“我是养家糊口的那个人”。
Well, you know what? I contribute, too.
contribute: 贡献
呃你知道吗? 我对这个家也有贡献的
I handle the bills. I clean the house.
handle: 处理 bill: 账单
我缴帐单做家务
-Susan: I thought you had a housekeeper.
housekeeper: 管家
我原以为你们请了管家呢。
-Lee: Jeez, you're an ugly drunk.
ugly: 丑的 drunk: 喝醉的人,醉酒人
天哪,你的醉像真难看。
Come on. It's a joke. What's with the face?
joke: 玩笑
拜托,开玩笑的,干嘛拉着脸?
-Susan I just... Jackson called earlier, and, um...
我只是...Jackson刚打电话来说...
you know, he went to Riverton to visit his old art professor, and she offered him a job.
visit: 拜访 professor: 教授 offer: 提供
他去Riverton看望他的恩师教授,她给他找了份工作。
-Lee: That's cool.
很好啊。
-Susan: And he wants me to move there with him.
他想要我跟搬到他那去。
-Lee: You going to go?
你去吗?
-Susan: Well... I want to be with him, so...
呃...我想跟他在一起,所以...
I think I have to.
have to: 不得不
我想我要去吧。
-Lee: You're that serious about this guy?
serious about: 对…认真的
你真的很在乎他吗?
-Susan: Yeah. Sure. Why not?
对,当然,为什么不?
-Lee: You sure you're not just waiting for closing time?
wait for: 等待 closing time: 打烊
你确定你不是在等打烊时刻吗?
-Susan: What does that mean?
这话啥意思?
-Lee: You know, 2:00 A.M., Bar's closing.
你知道,凌晨2点酒吧打烊。
You haven't found the perfect guy, so you settle for... something like that.
settle for: 对...感到满足 like that: 像那样
你却还没找到中意的男人,所以你只好找...那样的货色。
Oh, crap. Look away. Look away. Look away.
crap:【糟糕】 look away: 转移目光
哦,糟糕,看别处,转过去,转过去。
-Susan: Lee, that is not what I'm doing. Is Jackson perfect? No.
Lee我可没有在随便找人,Jackson完美吗? 不。
But I don't think there is such a thing and I have a history of sabotaging relationships.
sabotage: 蓄意破坏 relationship: 关系
但我不相信有完美之人,我自己的感情也很多舛。
No, I'm doing this. I’m moving.
不,我要这么做,我要搬家。
-Lee: Well, congratulations to you.
congratulations: 恭喜
呃,那恭喜你了。
Scary guy's coming over.
scary: 害怕的,惊恐的 come over: 过来
恐龙过来了。
I have to throw him off the scent. Do you mind if I grab one of your boobs?
throw ..off: 摆脱 scent: 追踪 grab: 抓握 boob: 乳房
我得甩掉他,介意我摸下你的咪咪吗?
-Susan: Knock yourself out.
knock yourself out: 尽最大努力
随便摸
Jazz!
爵士乐!
-Lee: Oh, my god! Why didn't you wake me?
wake: 叫醒
哦,天哪! 你为何不叫醒我?
Bob is going to kill me.
kill: 杀
Bob会杀了我的。
But that was, uh, fun last night.
fun: 有趣 last night: 昨夜
但昨晚玩得很开心啊。
Different, but fun. see you.
感觉不同,但很开心,再见。
-Lynette: Tom, I talked to every kids in his English class and the entire debate team.
kid: 小孩 entire: 整个的 debate team: 辩论队
Tom 我问过语文课和辩论队所有同学了。
Porter hasn't contacted any of them.
contact of: 联系
Porter跟谁都没联系。
Well, hurry home. We have got to decide what our next move is.
hurry: 赶快 next move: 下一步行动
快回来,我们得决定下一步行动了。
All right. I love you. Bye.
好的,我爱你,拜。
Preston, why didn't you pick up when I called you?
pick up: 接(电话)
Preston 我打电话给你怎么不接?
-Preston: What?
什么?
-Lynette: called you, like five times.
我打过你电话,大概有五次。
-Preston: No, you didn't.
没有,你没打。
-Lynette: Yeah
打了。
-Preston: See? You're not even on my call log.
call long: 通话记录 log: 记录
看见没?通话记录上都没你。
-Porter: Hey, dude. Is mom still there?
dude: 兄弟
嘿,老弟,妈妈还在那吗?
-Lynette: Porter, it's mom. Where are you? Porter!
Porter 我是妈妈你在哪? Porter!
You know where he is!
你知道他在哪里!
-Preston: I don't. He won't tell me.
我不知道,他没告诉我。
-Lynette: But you have been talking to him. What the hell, Preston?
what the hell: 究竟是什么
但你一直跟他有联系,到底搞什么鬼 Preston?
-Preston: I want my phone back.,
把电话给我。
-Lynette: Fine.
好的。
You know what you're going to do with it?
你知道你该怎么做吗?
You are going to call your brother and tell him to come home.
你得打电话给你哥哥叫他回来。
-Preston: He's not coming home.
他不会回来的。
Mr. Schilling threatened to kill him.
threat: 威胁
Schilling先生威胁说要杀了他。
-Lynette: What? What?
什么? 你说什么?
That's why he ran away?
这就是他跑路的原因?
I thought he was afraid of going to jail.
be afraid of: 害怕 jail: 监狱
我原以为他是怕坐牢。
Well, I'm sure Warren Schilling was just try into scare him.
just: 仅仅 scare: 惊吓
我相信Warren Schilling只是吓吓他。
-Preston: It worked! Porter's terrified!
work: 奏效 terrified: 恐惧的
那他做到了! Porter吓坏了!
-Lynette: Okay, we'll get a…we'll get a restraining order.
restraining order: 禁令
好的,那我们会申请一个禁制令。
-Preston: I don't think that's going to stop this guy.
我觉得这没什么用
-Lynette: I can handle Warren Schilling.
handle: 处理
我会处理Warren Schilling。
But if Porter doesn't show up for court, we're going to lose our restaurant!
show up: 出席 court: 法庭 lose: 失去 restaurant: 餐馆
但如果Porter不出庭的话,我们就会失去餐馆!
-Preston: A guy threatens to kill your son, and that's what you're worried about?
worried about: 担心
有人威胁说要杀了你儿子,而你却在担这个?
No, I'm not going to let my brother risk his life so you and dad can sell pizza.
risk: 冒…风险 life: 生命 sell: 卖 pizza: 披萨
不,我不会拿我哥的命换得你和老爸能继续卖批萨。
-Gaby: How do you sleep with someone and not remember?
sleep: 睡觉 remember: 记得
你怎么会跟人上了床却不记得呢?
-Susan: I don't know. I was drunk.
drunk: 喝醉的
我不知道,我喝醉了。
-Gaby: Okay, let's skip to the important part--who was it?
skip: 跳过 important part: 重点
好的,我们说重点吧...他是谁?
-Susan: Just a friend.
只是个朋友。
Oh, Gaby, do you think I did this subconsciously just to sabotage my relationship with Jackson?
subconsciously: 潜意识 sabotage: 破坏 relationship: 关系
哦,Gaby你觉得我这么做只是潜意识的在破坏与Jackson的关系吗?
-Gaby: It was Tom Scavo, wasn't it?
是Tom Scavo是吗?
-Susan: Will you stop guessing? Oh, god!
stop: 停止 guess: 猜测
你能不能别猜了? 哦,天哪!
Why won't I just let myself be happy?
为什么不能让自己开心一点呢?
-Gaby: Was it Lou?
是Lou吗?
-Susan: My mechanic? Are you crazy?
mechanic: 修理工 crazy: 疯狂的
我的机修工? 你疯了吗?
-Gaby: Come on. You were with a plumber and a housepainter.
plumber: 水管工人 house painter: 房屋油漆工
得了吧,你跟水管工和油漆工都搞过了。
I mean, let's face it…you like your service providers.
service: 服务 provider: 供给者
我的意思是你就承认吧,你就喜欢你的"服务"供应者。
-Bob: Susan, you home?
Susan 在家吗?
-Susan: Bob!
Bob!
Uh, what are you doing here?
啊,你怎么来了?
-Bob: Well... it's about Lee.
呃...是Lee的事
He told me he took you out last night.
他跟我说他昨晚带你出去了。
-Susan: Yes. Uh, we had a very nice uneventful evening.
uneventful: 平静无事的
是的,呃,我们度过了一个美好而又平凡的夜晚。
Why? What did he say?
怎么了? 他说了什么吗?
Because he was pretty drunk, so he was... probably making stuff up.
drunk: 喝醉了 make up: 虚构
他昨天酩酊大醉,所以很可能...编点故事啥的。
-Bob: Well, he didn't come home. He claims he spent the night here.
claim: 主张;断言
他昨晚没回家,他说他昨晚在这过的夜。
-Gaby: Oh, my god.
哦,天哪。
-Bob: Oh, hi, Gaby. I didn't know you were here.
哦,嗨Gaby,我还不知道你在这儿。
-Susan: Never mind her. She was just leaving.
别管她,她正要走。
-Gaby: No. I think I should stay and clean this up.
clean up: 收拾干净(扫除)
不,我觉得我该留下来把这清理一下。
It's a... huge mess.
huge: 巨大的 mess: 乱七八糟
这里...太"乱"了。
-Susan: Uh, bob... uh, lee did stay here last night.
Bob...呃 Lee昨晚确实在这过的夜。
he slept on the couch... in the guest room.
couch: 长椅 guest room: 客厅
他睡在...客房的沙发上。
So you have nothing to worry about.
所以你没什么好担心的
-Bob: Oh, thank god.
哦,谢天谢地。
I just had this awful feeling that he spent the night with another man.
awful: 可怕地 another: 另一
我还以为他跟别的男人鬼混,心里不好受。
-Susan: Lee wouldn't do that. He loves you.
Lee不会那么做,他爱你。
-Bob: I know he does, but he's got a few drinks in him,
drinks: 酒
这我知道,但他几杯酒下肚,
he'll bang anything with a pulse and facial hair.
bang: 【粗俗语】(尤指精力旺盛地)和…性交 pulse: 意向,动向;情绪 facial hair: 面部毛发
就什么事都做得出来。
-Karen: You still haven't heard from him?
还没有他的消息吗?
-Receptionist: For the 17th time... no.
你问过17次了...没有
-Karen: Where does she get off having all that attitude?
get off: 学会 attitude: 态度
她这种态度是从哪学来的?
-Roberta: She's young and pretty, and we're not.
young: 年轻
她年轻漂亮,而我们老了。
-Karen: She's not that pretty.
她也不怎么漂亮。
-Receptionist: I can hear every word you're saying.
hear: 听见
不要把我当聋子。
-Karen: From all the way over there? Boy she is young.
这么远也能听见? 天哪,年轻真好。
-Receptionist: Look, I'm very tired, so I'm going to break the rules.
tired: 疲劳的 break the rule: 违反规定
听着,我很累的,所以就不跟你们摆台面了。
Dr. Heller went on some sort of trip.
trip:【出差】
Heller医生出差去了。
He should've been back a week ago and I don't know where he is.
should: 应该 a week ago: 一星期以前
他本该一星期前就回来的,现在我也不知道他在哪。
-Roberta: Why didn't you tell us that in the first place?
in the first place: 起初
那你为什么不早说?
-Receptionist: Because it's none of your business!
none of your business: 不管你的事
因为这根本不关你们的事!
Hello? Dr. Heller's office.
office: 办公室
你好,Heller医生的办公室。
-David: Uh, hey. It's David Dash. Is he in?
你好,我是David Dash 他在吗?
-Karen: Did you hear that? He should've been back by now. Why isn't he back?
你听到没? 他本该回来了,为啥没回来呢?
-Receptionist: I'm sorry, Mr. Dash., Dr. Heller's out of town.
不好意思 Dash先生 ,Heller出差了。
-Roberta: What are you saying?
你什么意思?
You think Dave has something to do with Heller being late from vacation?
have something to do with: 有关系 late: 迟的 vacation: 休假
你觉得Dave跟Heller出行晚归有关?
-Karen: Don't ask me why, but I got a feeling there's a connection.
connection: 关联
不要问我为什么,直觉告诉我这中间一定有联系。
-David: Well, can I still get a prescription refilled?
prescription: 药房 refill: 再充满
我能再补一次处方药么?
-Receptionist: Sure . Dr. Lybrand's on call.
be on call: 随时到
当然 Lybrand医生有空的。
Could you see him tomorrow around 2:00?
明天2点来见他行吗?
-David: Actually, I've moved.
actually: 事实上
是这样的,我搬家了
-Roberta: You know what?
知道不?
-Karen: What?
什么啊?
-Roberta: I'm done.
我不干了。
-Karen: Meaning what?
什么意思啊?
-Receptionist: I'm sure we can work it out. What's your new address?
work out: 解决 address: 地址
我相信肯定有办法的,你新家地址是?
-Karen: What, you're just going to abandon me?
abandon: 抛弃
什么,你要放我鸽子了?
-Roberta: I went on this wild goose chase as far as I could.
goose: 鹅 chase: 追捕 as far as: 远到
这鸽子我追得够远了。
-Karen: Oh, don't…please don't go, Roberta. I need your help.
别...求你别走,Roberta 我需要你的帮助。
-Roberta: Then get somebody else. I'm tapped out.
be tapped out: 一个子儿也没有 tap: 轻打,轻敲
找别人吧,我要收工了。
-Karen: Roberta, wait!
Roberta 等一下!
-Receptionist: Wisteria Lane. What a lovely name.
紫藤街,多么美妙的名字。
-Melina: Bree, you sure there isn't anything I can do to help?
Bree 真的不要我帮忙吗?
I'm just standing here with my thumb up my butt.
with my thumb up my butt :【拇指放在屁股两端,即两手叉腰,什么事都没做】 thumb: 拇指 butt: 屁股
我就这么干站着等你叫我呢。
-Bree: Uh, no help needed. Certainly nothing that would require your thumb.
require: 需要
不用帮忙,没有需要你动手的地方。
-Andrew: Uh, sorry we're late. We got hung up at the realtors.
hung up: 被延误,被耽搁 hung: 【美国俚语】停滞的,不工作的 realtors: 经纪人
不好意思来晚了,房产商那边有点事。
-Bree: Actually, you're right on time. We're just about to eat.
on time: 准时
其实来得正好,我们刚打算吃饭。
Shall we?
开饭吗?
-Melina: yeah.
好。
-Bree: Excuse... excuse me, Melina. That's my chair.
chair: 席位
不好... 不好意思,Melina 这个位子是我的。
-Melina: I just wanted to sit next to the boys.
我只想坐在孩子们身边。
-Bree: Well, did it occur to you I might want to sit next to the boys?
occur to: 想起
你有没有想过我也想要坐在孩子们身边?
-Melina: Did it occur to you that I already called it?
call:【预定】
你有没有想过我早就预订了这个位子?
-Orson: She did. She called it.
她预订了真的
Why don't you sit here, Bree?
不如坐这吧 Bree?
-Bree: Guess who just called the burnt lamb chop?
burnt: 燃烧 lamb chop: 小羊排
猜猜谁做的烤羊排?
-Melina: I just wanted to see the look on your faces when you heard my good news.
good news: 好消息
我只是想当面告诉你们这个好消息亲眼看见你们高兴的表情。
-Alex: Really? What is it?
真的吗? 是什么?
-Melina: Well, I told Dr. Hardy, you're moving to Oakdale.
我告诉Hardy医生,你们要搬去Oakdale。
-Bree: Uh, thinking about it. They're thinking about moving to Oakdale.
think about: 考虑
还在考虑,他们只是在考虑要不要搬去Oakdale住。
-Melina: Not after they hear this.
听到这消息以后就不是了。
Anyway, he's retiring next month, and he thinks you'd be perfect to take over his practice.
anyway: 不赶怎样 retire: 退休 take over: 接管
是这样的,他下个月退休了,他觉得你是接管诊所的最佳人选.
-Alex: Are you serious?
serious: 认真的
你是认真的吗?
Wow, this could be a good opportunity for us.
opportunity: 机会
这是我们的好机会。
-Bree: Yes. A good opportunity for Andrew to commute five hours to his job.
opportunity: 机会 commute: 【上下班】
是啊,这也使得Andrew上下班得开5小时的车。
-Andrew: I don't know, Alex. This is all happening pretty fast.
happen: 发生 fast: 很快的
我不知道,Alex 事情有点突然。
-Alex: But it's the only way we're goning to be able to afford a house,
the only way: 唯一出路 afford: 供应得起
但只有这样我们才能买得起房子,
and if we're going to have kids...,
kid: 小孩
如果我们还想要个孩子的话...
-Bree: You're going to have kids?
你们还想要孩子?
-Melina: Oh, this is perfect! I can look after them for you!
look after: 照顾
太好了! 我可以为你们照顾孩子的!
Let's toast to seal the deal. Here's to Oakdale.
toast: 祝酒 seal the deal: 签订协议 seal: 盖章 deal: 协定
我们敲案定章吧,为Oakdale干杯!
-Bree: I bought you the Adams house!
我给你们买了Adam一家的房子!
-Andrew: What?
什么?
-Orson: What?
什么?
-Melina: What?
什么?
-Bree: It was going to be a surprise, you know ,for your wedding.
surprise: 惊喜 wedding: 婚礼
本来想在婚礼前给你们个惊喜的。
Unfortunately, this whole silly Oakdale thing has forced me to show my hand.
unfortunately: 不幸运的 force: 迫使 show my hand: 摊牌
真不幸,该死的Oakdale事让我不得不提前说了。
-Andrew: Mom, that's too generous.
generous: 慷慨的
妈妈,你真是太慷慨了。
-Melina: Yes, that's, uh... that's way too generous. You shouldn't do that.
是的,那...那真是太慷慨了,你不该这么做的。
-Bree: Oh, it's nothing you wouldn't do.
没有什么你不愿意做吧。
-Alex: Bree, I don't know what to say, except...
except: 除..之外
Bree我不知道说什么好,除了...
Thank you so much.
太谢谢你了。
I really love you for this.
我爱死你了。
-Bree: Oh, and I love you, too.
我也爱你。
Orson, dear, would you pour Melina another glass of wine?
pour: 倒 wine: 酒
Orson 亲爱的,帮Melina再倒杯酒好吗?
-Orson:Calling Edie, Are you?,
要打电话给Edie了吗?
-Bree: You know it.
你真了解我。
-Gaby: Hi, honey.
亲爱的。
You remember Bradley and his wife Maria.
wife: 妻子
记得Bradley和他妻子Maria吧。
They dropped by for dinner.
drop by: 顺便来访 dinner: 晚餐
他们顺道过来吃个晚饭。
-Carlos: How fun.
好啊。
Can I ask you something about the trash cans?
trash can: 垃圾箱
问你一下那个垃圾桶的事可以不?
-Gaby: Excuse me.
借过。
-Carlos: What is that miserable S.O.B.doing here?
miserable: 悲惨的 S.O.B.:【son of bitch: “狗粮养的”委婉说法,记得Bree也是这样说过的,看来Carlos现在也变得文明了】
那个可怜的狗娘养的家伙在这干嘛?
I already took the job at the community center.
already: 已经 community: 社区
我已经接下社区中心的工作。
-Gaby: I know. Just listen to what Bradley has to say,
我知道,你先听听Bradley说些什么。
and if at the end of the evening you're still not interested, I support you completely. Deal?
at the end of: 到..最后 support: 支持 interested: 有兴趣的 deal: 成交
如果晚饭结束后你还是没兴趣,我就全力支持你,好不好?
-Carlos: If it'll get you off my back... deal.
off my back: 不再烦扰 deal:一言为定
如果这样能让你不再烦我的话...好.
-Bradley: After I got concessions from the union, I laid off a third of the workforce,
concessions:让步,退让 lay off: 解雇 a third of: 三分之一 workforce: 职工总数
得到协会的让步后,我解雇了三分之一的员工。
outsourced another third.
outsource: 转包(工作)给另一家公司
又从外引进了三分之一。
A year later, I sold the company for twice what I paid for it.
sell: 卖 twice: 两倍 pay for: 付款
一年后,我以两倍买入价卖出了公司。
-Gaby: Impressive. Huh, Carlos?
impressive: 给人印象深刻的
真不错,是吧,Carlos?
-Carlos: Very good. It'll be a great story to tell all the other C.E.O.S in hell.
C.E.O.:=chief executive officer首席执行官 in hell: 地狱
很不错,这倒是个好故事,能跟那些地狱里的总裁们去讲讲。
-Gaby: Carlos, be nice.
Carlos 态度好点。
-Bradley: No, it's fine.
不,没事。
Just taking care of my kids.
take care of: 照顾
只是照顾我的孩子。
-Maria: Yeah. I've got a picture of them in my purse.
picture: 照片 purse: 钱包
是啊,我包里有他们的照片。
Want to see how many you can name?
想看看你能叫出多少人的名字吗?
-Bradley: More wine, Maria?
你还要喝点吗,Maria?
-Gaby: So, Bradley, if Carlos were to come work for you, what would a typical week look like?
typical: 有代表性的
对啊,Bradley 如果Carlos为你工作,一般每周都怎么过?
-Bradley: Oh, lots of high-end deal, making uh, international travel.
high-end: 高级的,高档次的 deal: 交易 international: 国际的 travel: 旅行
有许多高端交易要做 ,国际性差旅。
-Maria: Oh, yeah. We travel all over the world together.
all over the world: 世界各地
是啊,我们一起周游世界。
It is so fun sitting alone in a five-star hotel
fun: 有趣的 alone: 单独的
一个人坐在五星级酒店是多么有趣
while your husband is out crushing the third world under the heel of his jackboot.
husband: 丈夫 crush: 征服 under the heel of: 被..践踏 heel: 踵,脚跟 jackboot: 长筒靴
当你丈夫在压榨第三世界人民时。
-Gaby: You hear that, Carlos? Five-star hotels.
听到没 Carlos? 五星级酒店。
-Carlos: Listen, Bradley, really appreciate the offer, but I told you…
appreciate: 感激
听着,Bradley很感谢你给我机会,但我说过了...
I already have a job.
我已经有工作了。
-Bradley: Why can't you do your work with the deaf on the weekends?
the deaf: 聋子 weekend: 周末
为什么不能在周末处理那些聋哑人的事呢?
-Carlos: First of all, because they're blind.
首先,因为他们是盲人。
-Maria: You tell him.
你跟他说吧。
-Gaby: Um, honey, Bradley's right.
宝贝儿,Bradley说的对。
You could take this job and do your charity work in your free time.
charity: 慈善的 free time: 空闲时间
你可以接受这份工作,在闲暇时间做慈善。
-Maria: No, don't listen to her.
不,别听她的。
You are a good man, and you are going to help people.
你是个好人,该去帮助别人。
And even if you never end up making a penny,
even if: 即使 end up: 告终 penny: 便士
就算你到最后一分钱都没挣,
you'll be worth more than this soulless bastard.
be worth: 有价值的 soulless: 卑鄙的;冷漠无情的,无动于衷的 bastard: 卑鄙的人,讨厌鬼
你也比这卑鄙的杂种值钱。
-Bradley: I work very hard to provide for you and the kids, and I would like a little respect.
work hard: 努力工作 provide for: 供给 respect: 尊重
我努力工作养活你和孩子们,希望你能尊重我一点。
-Maria: Well, you know what I would like?
你知道我想要什么吗?
A big divorce.
离婚。
-Gaby: So... is eye care included in the health plan?
care: 保健 health plan: 健康保险
那么...健康保险里包括眼睛保健吗?
Because that's obviously a big issue for Carlos.
obviously: 显然 issue: 问题
你知道这对Carlos很重要。
-David: Daddy misses you so much.
爸爸好想你啊。
I'm so sorry. Okay? Bye-bye!
对不起,好不好? 拜拜!
I miss you two so much. Very soon, honey.
so much: 非常的
我很想你们两个,很快的,宝贝儿。
It's just a little teeny bit longer.
teeny: 小的
再等一小段时间。
Oh, my little girl. You look so beautiful.
我的小公主,你看起来真美。
I've missed you so much. We're going to be together soon.
我好想你们,我们很快就能在一起了。
I promise you. Just a teeny little bit. It'll be fine.
promise: 保证
我向你们保证,不用多久,会好的。
-Edie: Dave?
Dave?
-David: I'm sorry. You scared me.
scare: 惊吓
对不起,你吓到我了。
-Edie: Who were you talking to?
你在跟谁说话?
-David: No one.
没人。
-Edie: I heard you.
我听见了。
-David: Edie, please, I'm not feeling well.
Edie 拜托,我不舒服。
-Edie: Who the hell were you talking to?
the hell: 究竟
你究竟跟谁说话呢?
-David: Leave me alone.
leave alone: 让…一个人呆着;撇下…一个人
让我清静一下。
-Preston: Why did you turn down here?
turn down:【转弯】
你为什么在这转弯?
I thought we were going to the store.
store: 商店
我以为我们要去商店。
Mom, what is this place?
妈,这是哪?
-Lynette: Before I became a mother,
在我做母亲之前,
I didn't know it was possible to love another human being so completely,
possible: 可能 completely: 完全的
我不知道能这么完全地爱一个人,
and with that love comes this need to protect you.
protect: 完美的
因为这种爱让我有保护你的需要。
It wasn't a decision I made, It’s...primal.
decision: 决定 primal: 最初的;原始的
这不是一个决定而是一种本能。
It's just something in my D.N.A.
在我基因里一种东西。
Whatever it is, it makes me not care about myself,
care: 在乎
不管是什么,它让我不顾自己的安危。
and it reminds me that my reason for being on this planet
remind: 提醒 reason: 原因 the planet: 地球
也让我知道我在这个星球上的原因。
is to look after you kids.
look after: 照顾
是为了照顾你们这些孩子。
-Preston: Why are you telling me this?
你为什么跟我说这个?
-Lynette: Yesterday, you said Warren Schilling will kill porter if he gets the chance.
get the chance: 有机会
昨天你说Warren Schilling一有机会就会杀了Porter。
I will never let that happen.
never: 从不 happen: 发生
我绝不会让那事发生的。
-Preston: Mom, where are we?
妈妈,这是哪?
-Lynette: You see that bar?
你看见那酒吧了么?
Warren schilling goes there every night.
Warren schilling每晚都去那
Tonight, when he leaves...
今晚当他走的时候...
I'm going to do what I have to, to make sure my family is safe.
make sure: 确保 safe: 安全
我会去做我该做的事来确保我的家人平安
So... I need you to get out now.
get out: 下车
所以...我要你现在就下车。
You can't be in the car when this happens.
事发时你不能在车里。
-Preston: Are you serious?
你当真?
You're going to run him over?
run over: 在…上驶过;(撞倒后)辗过
你要撞他?
-Lynette: Like I said, it's in my D.N.A.
我说过,基因里的本能。
that could be him.
那可能是他。
Get out.
下去。
Get out! Get out!
下去! 下去!
-Preston: Okay! Stop it! I get it!
get it: 理解
好的! 别喊了! 我懂!
I'll call Porter and tell him he doesn't have to worry about Mr. Schilling.
worry about: 担心
我会打电话给Porter,告诉他不用害怕Schilling先生。
-Lynette: And you will convince him to come back home.
convince: 说服 come back: 回来
而且你要说服他回家。
Shut the door.
关门。
-Carlos: So... remember how you said, I just had to hear Bradley out,
hear out: 听完
记得你说我只需要听完Bradley说的,
and then whatever I decided, you'd support me?
whatever: 无论什么 support: 支持
然后不管我做什么决定你都支持?
Well, you may be surprised, but I am ready to render my decision.
render: 宣布 decision: 决定
你也许会惊讶,但我已经做了决定。
Let me lay it out for you…
lay out: 摆出;展开【说出】
让我跟你说说...
either I do something fulfilling where I help other people and feel good out myself,
either...or...: 要么..要么... fulfill: 充实
要么让我帮助他人充实自己让自己觉得好过,
or I take a job I hate where I make a lot of money, but it eats my life and crushes my soul.
eat: 吞噬 crush: 粉碎
要么就接受一份讨厌但钱多的工作,让它吞噬我的生活击垮我的灵魂。
-Gaby: Hang on. Before you do that let me lay it out for you.
hang on: 等一等
等等,在你说之前,我先跟你说说。
Either you let your family continue to sacrifice so you can feel good about yourself,
continue to: 继续 sacrifice: 牺牲
要不你继续牺牲家庭,这样你就能感觉良好,
or you grow up and make real money
grow up: 成熟
要不你就成熟点,赚些钱。
and look after us like we've been looking after you for the past five years.
像过去五年我们照顾你那样来照顾我们。
-Carlos: You know what these jobs are like, Gaby.
你知道这些工作是怎样的么,Gaby?
I'd never be home.
我不会回家了。
And when I was, I'd be tired or irritated.
tied: 疲惫 irritated: 激怒的
当我回家的时候,我会又累又气。
It will take a toll on all of us.
take a toll: 造成损失 toll: 通行费
这会对我们所有人造成伤害。
-Gaby: It took a toll on us when we couldn't pay the gas bill, Carlos.
gas: 天然气 bill: 账单
当我们交不起天然气费时才是伤害。
It took a toll on us when Juanita was sent home from day care because the check bounced.
be sent: 被遣送 day care: 日托 check: 支票 bounce: 返回
当Juanita因支票资金不足,被托管所送回家时才是伤害。
But I handled it, and now, it's your turn to handle it.
handle: 处理 it’s one’s turn to do sth.: 轮到某人做某事
但我解决了,现在轮到你了。
-Carlos: Gaby, please don't make me do this.
Gaby求你别让我这么做.
Bradley? Hey, it's Carlos.
Bradley? 嘿,我是Carlos。
Well, I've, uh, done some thinking, and I actually...
do some thinking: 考虑
我,嗯,我想了一下,事实上...
I want that job, if it's still on the table.
on the table: 【美国英语】(报告等)被搁置着的
如果还可以的话,我想要那份工作。
Yeah. I was surprised, too.
是啊,我也很惊讶。
Sounds great.
听起来不错。
See you Monday.
周一见。
-Lee: Hey, Susan. I just made tea. Come on in.
make tea: 泡茶
嘿,Susan我刚泡了茶,进来吧。
-Susan: Lee, um...
Lee 呃...
well, there's just no graceful way to ask this, so...
graceful: 优雅的
没什么隐晦的方法问这事,所以...
I'm just going to say it straight out.
straight out: 坦率地,直言地
我就直接说了。
When you spent the night, did we get it on?
你在我家那晚,我们做了么?
-Lee: Ye gods, no. Are you insane?
insane: 疯狂的
哦,天哪,没有,你疯了么?
-Susan: So... nothing happened between us?
那我们之间什么也没有?
-Lee: Hello? Gay! Listening to opera in a kimono.
opera: 歌剧 kimono: 和服
嗨? 我是同志! 穿着和服听歌剧
What more do you need to know?
你还想知道些什么?
-Susan: Oh, thank god.
谢天谢地。
You know, when I woke up next to you yesterday, I just didn't know what to think.
知道么,昨天我在你身边醒来的时候,我都不知道要怎么办。
-Lee: But why would you think that?
可你怎么会这么想?
-Susan: Because you were mad at bob,
因为你在生Bob的气,
and I told you about how I sometimes sabotage my relationships.
而我跟你说过有时我是怎样毁掉自己一段段恋情的。
-Lee: Well, you didn't. Not this time, anyway.
你没有,至少这次没有。
-Susan: Yay.
是啊。
now I can move in with Jackson with a clear conscience.
clear: 清楚的 conscience: 诚心,诚意
现在我可以安心搬去和Jackson一起住了。
Good. Good.
很好,很好。
-Lee: Wait, so I just…
等下,我只是...
I have to ask why exactly are you moving in with Jackson?
exactly: 确切地
我要弄明白你和Jackson一起住到底是因为什么?
-Susan: Because... he loves me.
因为... 他爱我。
-Lee: Do you love him?
你爱他吗?
-Susan: I'm getting there.
正在培养。
-Lee: Don't you think maybe you should... wait until you've arrived?
arrived: 达到
你不觉得最好等到你培养好了再做决定吗?
-Susan: Mike and I will never get back together. I know that now.
Mike和我不会重归于好,我现在知道了
And I really need to move on with my life.
move on: 继续前进
我真的需要放手往前看。
-Lee: You know moving on doesn't have to mean moving in.
可你知道往前看不是住进来。
-Susan: Jackson has made it pretty clear that he doesn't do good with long-distance relationships.
make it clear: 说清楚 do with: 忍受
Jackson很不喜欢异地恋,他明说了。
I could lose him.
否则我会失去他。
-Lee: So lose him.
那就失去呀。
-Susan: I'm not good alone. I need a man in my life.
alone: 孤独的,一个人的
我害怕孤单,我的人生中不能没有男人。
-Lee: But why? We're so useless.
useless: 没用的
为什么呢? 我们这么没用。
-Susan: But you are fun to dance with.
dance: 跳舞
但和你跳舞还挺不错的呀。
-Lee: I think you should tell Jackson you're not ready.
ready: 准备好的
你该告诉Jackson你尚未准备好。
And if he ends up leaving, then, hell I will dance with you.
end up: 告终
如果他因此离开你,我拼了命也要陪你跳舞。
At least until someone better comes along. How does that sound?
at least: 至少 come along: 到来,出现
一直跳到你有新的爱人,怎么样?
If this is your attempt at bedding me again, miss Mayer,
attempt: 尝试
如果你想用这招再勾引我上床。
I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
我就得下逐客令了。
-Preston: Come on, man .Mom really wants to talk to you just for five seconds.
come on: 拜托 second: 秒
拜托,妈妈很想跟你通话,就五分钟。
Do it for me, okay?
就当给我个面子,行吗?
-Lynette: Sweetie, where are you?
乖仔,你在哪儿?
-Porter: I don't want to tell you.
我不告诉你。
-Lynette: Porter... you have got to come home. Everything will be fine. I promise.
promise: 保证
Porter 你快回来,我保证一切太平。
-Porter: How? Either Warren schilling kills me or I end up in jail.
end up: 告终 jail: 监狱
怎么会? 不是我被Warren Schilling杀掉就是我蹲监狱。
-Lynette: We can get a restraining order to protect you,
restraining order: 禁令 protect: 保护
我们可以为你争取限制令,
and Bob thinks there's a good shot at getting the case dismissed.
case: 案子 dismiss: 【法律】驳回,不受理(控告、上诉等),对…不予受理
Bob也很有把握让此案撤诉。
-Porter: You know, I've been reading the Fairview papers online.
paper: 新闻 online: 在线
我一直上网看美景市新闻。
Everybody thinks I did it.
所有人都觉得是我干的。
-Lynette: There is not a shred of evidence against you.
a shred of: 一点 shred: 一点儿,少量 evidence: 证据 against: 对…不利
没有任何一项证据针对你
When people see that, they will be on your side just like we are.
on one’s side: 支持某人
如果大家知道这一点,他们会转而支持你的一如我们。
Sweetie, you have to trust me.
trust: 相信
乖仔,你得相信我。
-Porter: I do trust you. It's just I…
我信任你但我...
-Woman: Don't fall for it, kiddo.
fall for: 信以为真 kiddo:【美国俚语】伙计;小伙子(亲昵的称呼)
别上当,小子.
I trusted her once, and, look where it got me.
我就信了她一次,瞧我现在落得啥下场。
-David: Good morning.
早上好。
-Edie: Is it?
好吗?
I didn't get a lot of sleep.
我一晚上几乎没阖眼。
-David: Okay, about last night, I'm sorry.
昨晚的事,我很抱歉。
-Edie: Let me stop you right there.
别说了
I don't need an apology. I need an explanation.
apology: 道歉 explanation: 解释
我不需要道歉,我要的是解释。
and... if you can't give me one...
还有... 如果你解释不了...
I'm thinking we're finished.
finished: 完结的
那我觉得我们之间就结束吧。
-Dave: Look, I'm just stressed out.
stressed out: 紧张的,有压力的
听着,我就是压力太大崩溃了
-Edie: Stress doesn't make you talk to people who aren't there.
压力再大也不可能让你对着一个不存在的人说话。
What is going on?
到底怎么回事啊?
-David: Okay.
好吧。
Before we met, I was married to someone else.
遇到你之前我曾娶过另外一个女人。
But she died.
但她后来死了。
And last night she was...
昨天晚上她突然...
sort of on my mind.
sort of: 有几分地
闯入了我的脑海。
-Edie: You were married before?
你竟然结过婚?
-David: She's dead, Edie. What does it matter?
她死了,Edie 这有什么关系?
-Edie: Oh, it matters.
matter:有关系
当然有关系。
You have until tonight to get your things together.
天黑之前把你的东西收拾好。
Then I want you out of my house.
然后给我走人。
-Mary Alice: Everyone needs a lovely home in suburbia,
suburbia:【总称】郊区
人们都渴望在郊区有一个舒适的家,
mostly so the neighbors will never suspect what's going on inside.
suspect: 怀疑 going on: 发生
这样邻居就不会怀疑屋里发生的一切。
Behind these freshly painted walls you will find...
freshly: 新的 painted: 油漆的 wall: 墙
在那明亮光鲜的墙后...
parents wracked with guilt...
wrack: 使遭受精神上或肉体的大痛苦,折磨;严重伤害 guilt: 内疚
深受内疚折磨的父母...
wives tired of struggling...
struggle: 努力,奋斗,挣扎
厌倦奔波的妻子...
lovers who have been lied to...
lie: 欺骗
被欺骗了的爱人...
yes, everybody needs a lovely home in suburbia...
是的,人们都渴望宁静地住在郊区…
if for no other reason than to have a place...
for no other reason than that: 只是因为...
无非是为了能有一个可以...
to come home to.
回归的港湾。
词汇解析:Dephear 校对:Cici



评 论


