看绝望的主妇学英语 Desperate Housewives 第五季 13集:The Best Thing That Ever Could Have Happened
Previously on Desperate Housewives
previous: 以前(预先)
前情提要
-Mary Alice:Eli Scruggs was the handiest of all handymen.
handiest:最敏捷的 handymen:做零活的人,杂工
Eli Scruggs是修理工中的修理工。
You could ask any of his customers and they would tell you there was nothing he couldn't fix.
customer:顾客 fix:修理
你可以随便打听,他的客户会说他什么都会修理。
Whether it was a broken vase...
broken:坏掉的,打破的 vase:花瓶
无论是摔碎的花瓶...
a leaky pipe...
leaky: 漏的 pipe: 管
漏水的管道...
or a shaky banister, Eli always knew how to get the job done.
shaky: 动摇的, 摇晃的 banister: 楼梯的扶栏 done: 完成的
还是松动的扶, Eli都能整得妥妥帖帖。
But sadly, the man who had fixed so many things for the residents of Wisteria Lane
resident: 居民 lane: 巷, 弄
不幸的是这位紫藤巷的全能修理工
was now about to break the hearts.
要伤邻居们的心了。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Eli Scruggs, get down from there!
get down: 从…下来
Eli Scruggs 你给我下来!
-Eli:Mrs. Mccluskey.
Mccluskey夫人。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Just found this note in my mailbox. Says you're retiring? What the hell?
mailbox: 邮筒;邮箱 retiring: 退休的 hell: 该死,见鬼
刚收到信说你退休了,开玩笑吧?
-Eli: Yes, ma'am. It's true.
是真的,夫人。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Now why would you want to do something stupid like that?
stupid: 愚蠢的, 笨的
你为什么要做这蠢事呢?
-Eli:My doc says I got a bum ticker have to take it easy from now on.
bum ticker : 心脏不好 ticker: 【口】心脏 take it easy: 从容;不紧张 from now on: 从现在开始
医生说我心脏不好,今后要多注意了。
Well, once I'm done fixing Mrs. Mayer's shingle I'm on a plane to Waikiki.
shingle: 屋顶板 plane: 飞机
等我修好Mayer家的屋顶,我就飞去怀基基海滩度假咯。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Well, this is very annoying.
annoying: 恼人地; 烦人地
这太讨厌了。
Who's gonna fix my water heater when it breaks?
heater: 加热器
今后热水器坏了,我可怎么办?
-Eli:Oh, I met this young guy named Toby.
哦,我认识个年轻人叫Toby。
Very bright, just turned 30. He'll take care of you.
bright: 敏捷的,伶俐的,聪明的 turn: 达到 take care of: 照顾, 处理
精明能干,30出头,他会帮你的。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Ah, damn it, Eli!
damn: 该死的,可恶的
该死的,Eli。
I am not comfortable with strangers in my house.
comfortable: 舒服的, 轻松的 strangers: 陌生人
我最讨厌陌生人来我家。
Took me ten years to trust you.
trust: 信任, 依赖
我花了10年才能信任你。
-Eli: I know.
我知道。
-Mrs. Mccluskey: Most of those guys leave tools and nails all over the place.
tool: 工具 nail:钉子
大多修理工都把工具和钉子随处乱扔。
You never leave a mess.
mess: 乱七八糟
你却总是井井有条。
-Eli: Thank you, ma'am.
谢谢,夫人。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Have you told everyone else you're leaving?
你要走的消息跟别人说了吗?
-Eli: I left copies of that same note in everybody's mailbox.
我给每家邮箱都留了纸条。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Well, that's not right.
这可不对。
After all these years, people will want to say good-bye, and...
这么多年大家想跟你说再见的…
you know, maybe throw you a party or something.
throw: 【口语】举行(宴会、舞会等)
比如给你办个聚会什么的。
-Eli: Oh, no. I prefer to go quietly, if you know what I mean.
prefer to: 更喜欢(宁愿) quietly: 安静地 mean.: 表示...的意思
哦别我希望默默地离开你明白吧
I don't want a big fuss.
fuss: 大惊小怪, 小题大作
千万别兴师动众。
-Mrs. Mccluskey:Well, I'll miss you, Eli.
那我会想你的 Eli。
There will never be another one like you.
没人能替代你。
-Mary Alice:With that Eli Scruggs climbed his ladder for the very last time.
ladder: 梯
谈话结束,Eli Scruggs最后一次登上梯子。
And once he had finished making his last repair,
repair: 修理; 修理工作
在他最后一次修好东西后,
Eli Scruggs… quietly, with no fuss…
quietly: 静静地
Eli Scruggs 悄然无息的...
had a heart attack and died.
heart attack: 心脏病发作
心脏病发而亡。
And most importantly...
importantly: 重要地
最重要的是...
without leaving a mess.
依旧井井有条。
It took an hour for someone to finally notice the body laying atop Susan Mayer's roof.
finally: 最后 lay: 躺着 atop: 在...的顶上 roof: 屋顶
1个小时后才有人发现屋顶的尸体。
It was less than ten minutes later that the neighbors began arriving
neighbor: 邻居 arrive: 到达
10分钟不到邻居们就纷纷赶来了
each determined to get a look at the various paramedics and policemen
determined : 决定了的 various: 不同的 paramedic: 护理人员 policemen: 警察
他们都想来看看这些急救人员和警察
who were all frantically trying to figure out exactly how to bring the body down.
frantically: 疯狂地 figure out: 找出 exactly: 正确地 bring down: 拿下
怎么把这具尸体弄下来。
And it took two days for my friends to realize this tragedy had affected them...
realize: 领悟, 认识到 tragedy: 悲剧 affect: 影响,
而过了两天我的朋友们才认识到这场悲剧的影响。
-Bree: We're ready! Come on.
我们准备好了快来吧
-Mary Alice:More than they were willing to admit.
admit: 承认
比他们想象的更大。
-Susan: Hey, Gaby, did you remember to get Change?
change: 找回的零钱
Gaby 这次你带零钱了吗?
'Cause when I cash in mychips, I don't want to hear you say, "all I've got is $50s."
cash in : 兑现, 用现金 cash: 把...兑现 chip: 薄片
到时候结账我可不想你听说哦,我只有50块的。
-Lynette Scavo: Speaking of cashing in your chips, anyone know when Eli's funeral is?
speak of: 说到 funeral : 葬礼; 出殡
说起来这个Eli的葬礼是哪天?
-Bree: Oh, I think it's Saturday.
哦,好像是周六。
I wonder how many people are gonna show up.
wonder: 想知道 show up: 露面
不知道有多少人会参加。
-Lynette Scavo: Mrs. Mccluskey was saying he didn't have much family.
McCluskey夫人说他没什么家人。
-Susan: Poor Eli. We should make sure he's got flowers at his funeral.
可怜的Eli,葬礼上我们应该去送花。
I'm in. How much are we talking?
我同意,该送多少呢?
-Bree: I don't know. What do you think, Gaby?
我不知道你觉得呢 Gaby?
Gaby?
Gaby?
-Gabrielle: Jimmy Choo!
是Jimmy Choo!
Oh, Carlos!
你真好 Carlos!
these aren't even in the states yet.
states: 国
国内还没上市呢。
what's the catch?
catch: [美国口语]圈套,陷阱
你有啥企图?
-Carlos Solis: What are you talking about?
你在说什么?
-Gabrielle: Yon ever buy me a present unless I'm mad or about to be mad.
present: 礼物 unless: 除非 mad: 生气的
除非我生气了,否则你不给我买礼物。
And I don't think I am so why am I about to be?
现在我并不生气,有什么让我生气的事吗?
-Carlos Solis: I have to go to Cleveland tomorrow.
我明天得去克利夫兰市
-Gabrielle: Carlos!
Carlos!
-Carlos Solis: They're begging me. The merger's going south.
beg: 乞求 merger: 合并; 归并 go south: 下降
他们求我去并购出问题了
-Gabrielle: You just got home!
你刚回家!
With shoes.
带着鞋来的呢.
don't leave me here.
别把我丢在这。
I'm going out of my mind.
out of one’s mind: 发疯的
我快发疯了。
Everyone is so boring and suburban.
boring: 烦人的, 无趣的 suburban: 土气的
这的人又无聊又乡土.
and how many freakin' honor students that school have?
freaking: [用作加势语]该死,他妈的;可恶的,讨厌的 honor students: 荣誉生 honor: 荣誉
那学校里有多少好学生啊?
-Carlos Solis: Can we please not argue in front of the handyman?
argue:争论 handyman: 做零活的人
咱能别在修理工面前吵架吗?
-Gabrielle: He has a name.
他也是有名字的
What's your name?
你叫啥来着?
-Eli: Eli Scruggs.
Eli Scruggs。
-Gabrielle: You hear that, Carlos?
听到没 Carlos?
You've brought me to a place where people are named "Eli Scruggs."
看你搬来这破地方这的人都叫什么"Eli Scruggs"
-Carlos Solis: Fine. I'll give up my job...
give up: 放弃
好吧,我放弃工作...
and everything that comes with it.
这些也顺便带走
-Gabrielle: Not the jimmy Choos.
Jimmy Choos要留下。
They're the only friends I've got.
他们是我唯一的朋友了。
-Carlos Solis: Thought so. I'm going to pack.
pack: 整理行装
就猜到,我去收拾行李了。
-Eli:You know, it's none of my business...
要知道,这事本来跟我无关...
-Gabrielle: You're right. It's not.
没错,确实无关
-Eli:But the ladies in this neighborhood are actually pretty nice.
actually: 实际上 pretty: 相当,颇
但邻居们人都是不错的。
-Gabrielle: Yeah. They came by brought muffins.
muffin: 松饼
是啊,她们带着妙芙来看过我。
One of 'em wants her basket back.
basket: 篮, 篮子
有个人还不忘要回蛋糕篮。
-Eli:That'd be bree.
那是Bree吧。
Anyhow, she and the other ladies, uh, play poker every week.
anyhow: 不管怎样 poker: 扑克
话说回来她们几位主妇每周都打牌
If you'd like, I could talk to them see if they'll let you host a game.
host: 主持
如果你想去,我可以去说看能否让你主持一次。
-Mary Alice:We're, um... the neighborhood.
嗨,我们都是邻居。
Gabrielle invited us to play poker.
invite: 邀请 poker: 扑克牌游戏
Gabrielle邀请我们来打牌。
So... is she in?
她...在家吗?
-Woman: Mrs. Solis will be right down.
Solis夫人马上就下来。
She likes to make an entrance.
entrance: 登场
她喜欢闪亮登场。
-Mary Alice:What does that mean, "an entrance"?
闪亮登场是什么意思?
-Gabrielle: Hello there.
大家好啊。
Welcome to my home.
欢迎光临寒舍。
-Lynette Scavo: That's what it means.
我明白了。
-Gabrielle: So I said, "pumpkin"-- that's what I call Jon Bon Jovi -- I said
pumpkin: 南瓜
我说"小南瓜" 我这么称呼Jon Bon Jovi。
"pumpkin, even if I could steer a yacht, I'm certainly not about to do it in 5-inch heels."
even if: 即使 steer: 掌舵, 驾驶 yacht: 游艇 certainly: 确定地 heel: 后跟
"小南瓜即使我可以驾驶游艇也不能穿着5英寸高的高跟鞋开啊"
true story.
这是真事哦。
-Lynette Scavo: Well, you've certainly had quite a glamorous life.
glamorous: 光彩夺目的
你的生活真是华丽啊。
-Gabrielle: Well, it was before my husband moved me here to east nowhere.
east: 东的,东方的
是啊,搬家到这里来之前挺好的。
seriously, I don't know how you girls do it.
说真的,你们怎么过来的。
-Susan: Do what?
过来啥?
-Gabrielle: Get out of bed in the morning.
get out of bed: 起床
每天活在这里啊。
I've only lived here a month, and I want to put a gun to my head.
我才来了一个月都想自杀了,
You know what I mean?
你知道我的意思吧?
-Bree: No, we don't.
不知道。
-Gabrielle: There are no good nightclubs, no theater.
nightclub: 夜总会 theater: 剧场; 电影院
这里没有夜店,没有剧院。
What do you do for a good time?
你们怎么消遣呢?
-Susan: We, we watch the kids play soccer.
soccer: 英式足球.
我们...看孩子踢球。
-Mary Alice:And e school drama department puts on some really great shows.
drama : 戏剧; 戏剧艺术 department: 系 put on: 上演 show: 演出
学校的话剧社常有不错的演出。
-Bree: And then there's church, of course.
当然还有教堂。
-Gabrielle: Church.
教堂。
Oh, you're serious.
哦,你是认真的。
-Susan: Look, I know it's quiet here, but I think you'll find there's a real charm to Fairview.
charm: 魅力
我知道这很僻静但你会发现美景镇的魅力的
-Gabrielle: No, no, it's cute. It's cute. I get that.
不不,挺好的,我知道。
It's just... I was a top-tier fashion model,
top-tier: 顶级 fashion: 时尚 model: 模特儿
只不过...我是一流时尚名模,
and I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to the fact that the best part of my life is behind me.
get used to : 习惯于 fact: 事实
估计我要习惯一下接受繁华落尽的现实。
Good-bye doi vod shots with Kate Moss,
shot: [美国英语]照相;快照 Kate Moss: [凯特·莫斯(Kate Moss)是当今引起争议比较多的一位世界级超级模特,和其他模特不同,她以并不傲人的单薄身材和独特气质,走入名模行业。她的个人风格曾经影响了当代最重要的时装设计师、画家、化妆师、造型师]
再见了,跟Kate Moss一起拍照的日子,
and hello to sipping international coffee with you girls.
sip: 啜饮,啜 international: 国际的; 世界的
迎来了跟你们喝咖啡唠家常的日子
Full house.
full house: 【牌戏】满堂红(有三张相同及另两张相同的一手牌)[亦作 full hand]
满堂红。
-Woman: Yes?
稍等。
-Eli:Hello. Is Mrs. Solis here?
你好,索丽斯女士在吗?
-Gabrielle: Oh, I got it. I got it. Go, go, go, go go.
哦哦,我来我来,你走吧。
-Eli:Ma'am, here's the bill for fixing your sink.
bill: 帐单 sink: 水槽, 水池
夫人,这是修理水槽的账单。
-Gabrielle: Okay. Thank you.,
好的,谢谢.
-Eli:By the way...
顺便讲下
you made quite an impression at the poker game.
impression: 印象
你打牌让大家印象深刻。
-Gabrielle: Really?
是吗。
-Eli:Oh, yeah. The ladies can't stop talking about you.
当然,他们一直在讨论你。
-Gabrielle: Well, I'm sure it was kind of exciting for them to have a star their midst.
kind of: 有点儿,有几分 exciting: 令人兴奋的 midst: 中间;在...中间
她们有个明星邻居肯定会兴奋啦。
-Eli:Uh, let me think... did they say "star"?
我回想一下啊,他们说过"明星"二字吗?
I heard, uh, "stuck-up," obnoxious "bitch."
stuck-up: [口语]高傲自大的,自命不凡的 obnoxious: 可憎的, 讨厌的
我听见的是高傲无礼,贱人一个。
-Gabrielle: What?
什么?
-Eli:You know, I went out on a limb to get you into that game
go out on a limb: 费了九牛二虎之力 limb: 腿
你要知道,我不顾一切帮你参加群众娱乐。
and then you go in there acting like you're better than they are.
你呢,却一副高高在上的姿态。
-Gabrielle: Oh, clothes said that not me.
哦,是我的衣服体现出来的,不是我。
-Eli:Well, did you ask them anything about their lives?
你有没有问起过他们的生活?
-Gabrielle: Why would they want to talk about their lives? Their lives are boring.
boring:无趣的, 无聊的
干嘛要聊他们的生活,他们生活多无趣。
-Eli:Well, you know what's gonna be really boring?
你知道什么是无趣吗?
You sitting here alone in this big house without any friends.
alone: 单独的, 独自
一个人孤独的坐在这间房子里。
If I were you, I'd drop the attitude.
drop: 降低 attitude: 态度;姿势
如果我是你,我会放下架子。
Learn to like your neighbors.
学着跟邻里和睦相处。
-Gabrielle: Well, thanks for the advice. You wanna add that your bill?
advice: 劝告, 建议 add: 增加
谢谢你的说教啊,这个要钱吗?
-Eli:No. It's on the house.
on the house: 由店家出钱,免费
不用,我请客。
-Gabrielle: I brought muffins.
我带了些妙芙。
-Lynette Scavo: That's so nice.
很感谢。
We were just...
我们在...
-Gabrielle: Playing poker, and I wasn't invited.
打牌,而且没叫我。
I know. I get it.
了解,非常明白。
I just wanted to tell you guys how I made a horrible first impression.
horrible: 极可厌的, 极可憎的 impression: 印象
我就是想告诉大家,我知道自己留下的第一印象很糟糕。
Now you know why models don't usually talk.
现在你们明白为什么模特都不太会说话。
Because we say a lot of stupid, patronizing things that make people want to avoid us.
patronizing: 摆出恩赐态度的; 要人领情的 avoid: 避免
因为我们总是愚蠢透顶,趾高气昂,让周围的人都退避三舍。
What I should've said was...
我本来应该说...
my husband's never home.
我丈夫常年在外。
I miss the city. I miss my life.
我怀念大都市,怀念我的生活。
I'm lonely all the time...
我一直孤身一人...
and I could really use some friends.
我真的想交一些朋友。
Anyway, here.
好了,给。
-Bree: Now that's how you make an entrance.
这才是你的闪亮登场
Gaby?
Gaby?
-Gabrielle: I'm sorry. What?
不好意思,怎么了?
-Susan: We're getting a wreath for Eli's funeral. Are you in?
wreath: 花圈 in: 【参加,加入】
我们要为Eli的葬礼送个花圈,算你一份吗?
-Gabrielle: Actually, why don't you let me pay for it?
事实上干嘛不直接让我付钱呢?
It can still be from all of us.
还算是我们一起送的。
-Lynette Scavo: No, you don't have to do that.
不用,没必要这么做。
-Gabrielle: I sort of do.
有点必要。
now let's play some poker.
来吧,打牌吧。
-Lynette Scavo: All right, time for my luck to change.
luck: 运气 change: 改变
好的,我时来运转了。
This hand is for Eli.
这副牌献给Eli。
Next hand is for Eli.
下副牌献给Eli。
-Susan: you know, if we're gonna have a get-together after the funeral, we should start thinking about food.
葬礼结束后我们应该聚一下,商量一下食物的事情。
-Gabrielle: And by "we" and "food," you mean Bree, right?
我们'和'食物'指的是Bree吧?
-Susan: I thought that was clear.
这不是心知肚明的事嘛。
-Bree: I'd be happy to any special requests?
special: 特别的, 特殊的 request: 要求
我很乐意,有什么特殊要求吗?
-Lynette Scavo: How about we pick something from your cookbook?
不如从你的烹饪书里选一些?
-Bree: Great. Gaby, do you have your copy?
好主意 Gaby 你那本在吗?
-Gabrielle: I'll go get it.
我去拿。
-Bree: You use my cookbook to balance your table?
balance: 使平衡;保持...的平衡
你用我的烹饪书垫桌脚?
-Gabrielle: Oh, it's only temporary.
temporary:暂时的,临时的
哦,暂时的。
Juanita needed her coloring book back.
Juanita把她的涂色书拿回去了。
-Lynette Scavo: all right.
好吧。
Watch out, ladies.
watch out:
留心吧,女士们。
-Bree: I'm sorry if the frittata is a bit dry.
frittata:带馅油炸面团 dry: 干的
很抱歉,菜肉煎蛋饼有点干了。
-Tom: Are you kidding? It's great. You should give Lynette the recipe.
recipe:食谱
你没搞错吧,简直完美无缺,你应该把食谱给Lynette。
-Lynette Scavo: Yes, 'cause that's what women in their eighth month really crave…more stove time.
crave:渴望 stove:火炉
对,那个有8个月身孕的女人,对炉子饥渴万分。
-Bree: Mine is so erratic.
erratic:不稳定的
我炉子的火苗飘忽不定.
I'm not even sure what the real temperature is.
temperature:温度
我连准确的温度都没法掌握。
of course, if a certain doctor would loosen the purse strings...
certain: 某个 loosen:松开, 解开 purse: 钱包 string: 线
当然,如果某位医生大人愿意慷慨解囊的话...
-Orson Hodge: We're not getting a new stove.
我才不给你买新炉子呢。
-Bree: If you would just take on a few more patients, we could afford it.
patient: 病人 afford: 供应得起
你要是多收几个病人,我们就买得起了。
-Carlos Solis: Well, if I'm not supporting you adequately, my dear, by all means,
adequately: 充分地 by all means: 尽一切办法; 一定
我要是没有竭尽所能的支持你
feel free to do something about it.
采取点措施,没关系。
-Bree: Such as?
比如说?
-Orson Hodge: Well, you could maybe..., I don't know, get a job?
呃...我也不知道... 也许你可以找份工作?
-Bree: I have a job. I'm a homemaker.
homemaker: 主妇
我有工作,我是主妇。
-Tom: And a damn good one.
而且是个绝佳的主妇。
So to make this you—you just s-saut? Some ham and some onions—
saut: 嫩煎菜肴 ham: 火腿 onion: 洋葱
所以做这个只需要把一些火腿,洋葱...
-Lynette Scavo: It's not happening, Tom.
没可能的 Tom。
-Orson Hodge: I just sometimes think maybe you would appreciate the value of a dollar more
appreciate: 感激 value: 价值, 重要性 dollar: 元
我就是觉得如果你在外面工作
if you had to work outside the home.
就会了解每分钱都来之不易。
-Bree: And I think you would appreciate my value more if for once,
你就会了解我也不容易
you had to cook your own food and wash your own clothes.
own:自己的
我觉得如果你自己做一顿饭,洗一次衣服。
-Tom: Lynette makes me sew my own buttons.
sew: 缝合 button:钮扣
Lynette让我自己缝扣子。
-Lynette Scavo: I'll sew anything you want if you just stop getting me pregnant.
pregnant:怀孕的
如果你不再让我怀孕,我什么都给你缝。
-Bree: I want a new stove, Rex, and if I need to get a job to pay for it, so be it.
我想要一个新炉子 Rex 如果我要自己找工作买,就只能这样了。
-Tom: If you're looking for a stove, we've got one that's hardly ever been used.
hardly:几乎不
你们要想买炉子,倒是有一个没怎么用过的。
-Lynette Scavo: I wish I could say the same for my uterus.
uterus:子宫
我希望我的子宫也不怎么用。
Oh, yeah. I ruined the brunch.
ruin:破坏 brunch:早午餐
哦,不好意思让你们倒胃口了。
-Orson Hodge: Hey, how's it looking under there, Eli?
嘿,情况怎么样,Eli?
Is it gonna cost me an arm and a leg?
an arm and a leg: [美国俚语]昂贵的价格;过高的代价,过高的要价
是不是得花一大笔钱?
-Eli:Nah. A few fingers, maybe.
finger:指头
不用,几根指头就可以啦。
-Carlos Solis: Honey, my stomach's growling. When's dinner?
stomach:胃; 肚子 growl:嗥叫
亲爱的,我的肚子咕咕叫了,什么时候开饭?
-Bree: Oh, we're having leftovers. You can heat them up yourself if you want.
leftover:剩饭
哦,还有些剩菜,你可以去自己热热吃。
-Carlos Solis: Since when do we have leftovers?
我们什么时候开始有剩饭了?
-Bree: Since I started writing my own cookbook.
从我写烹饪书开始。
Remember how you told me I should start making my own money?
你不是给我说让我自己赚钱吗?
Well, I've been going through all my old recipes,
go through: 浏览
我看了以前所有的菜谱,
and I've got this great idea for a real home-style American cookbook.
我就有了写一本真正的居家型美式菜谱的想法。
-Orson Hodge: You're not serious?
你没开玩笑吧?
-Bree: Why wouldn't I be? People are always complimenting me on my cooking.
compliment: 称赞
为什么开玩笑? 大家一直称赞我的厨艺。
-Orson Hodge: You're great, but come on.
你是很棒,但拜托...
Every bored housewife who pulls off a decent lasagna thinks she can write a cookbook.
bored : 无聊的 pull off: (成功或艰苦地)完成;赢得 decent:得体的 lasagna: 长扁面条所做的一道意大利菜
每个会做千层面的无聊主妇都觉得自己能写本书。
-Bree: You think I'm just like every other housewife?
你觉得我和其它主妇一样?
-Eli:No. No, no, no. That's not what I'm saying.
不是不是... 我可没这么说。
-Orson Hodge: It's just that...
只是...
what do you really know about writing?
你知道怎么写作吗?
-Bree: I'll learn.
我会学的。
And I want it to be more than just a cookbook.
而且我希望它不仅是一本烹饪书。
I want to talk about traditional values and give helpful hints about homemaking.
traditional: 传统的 helpful: 有用的, 有益的 hint: 暗示, 提示 homemaking: 家政
我要谈论一下传统价值观,然后提点一下家政业。
-Orson Hodge: Look, look, this is my fault.
fault: 过错
听着,我错了。
You know, I-I was ribbing you the other day about getting a job, but you took it seriously.
rib:【口】嘲弄,取笑 the other day: 前几天
那天让你找工作的事就是开开玩笑,你别当真。
If y really want a new stove, I'll get you a stove.
你要是想要新炉子,我就给你买一个。
Now can you stop this foolishness and make me something to eat that isn't leftovers?
foolishness: 愚蠢; 愚笨
你现在可以停止做傻事,然后给我做点不是剩饭的东西吃吗?
Mrs. Van de Kamp?
Van de Kamp夫人?
I fixed your banister. Should be fine now.
扶手修好了,现在应该没问题了。
I'll just go. You can pay me whenever.
我先走了,你回头再付钱吧。
I know this is a rough time for you.
rough: 【口】难受的,艰难的
我知道你现在很不好受。
-Bree: Thanks, Eli.
谢谢,Eli。
-Eli: By the way, the service for Mr. V. Was really nice.
顺便说一下 Van de Camp先生的葬礼很凝重。
-Bree: You were there?
你在场?
-Eli: I sat in the back of the church.
我坐在教堂后排。
I wanted to say good-bye to Mr. V.
我想给V先生道个别
So, uh...
那,呃...
have you thought about what you're gonna do now?
想过你接下来要做什么吗?
-Bree: You mean, with my life?
我这一辈子还能做什么呢?
I don't know.
我不清楚
-Eli:Mrs. V...
Van De Kamp太太...
I've been meaning to give this to you for a while now...
我一直想把这个给你...
but I, uh, could never find the right moment.
但是总没有机会。
I kept it for you just in case you might need it someday.
in case: 假使,以防万一
我一直为你保管着这个以防万一你哪天想要。
Hope you don't mind.
希望你别介意。
Oh, I gotta tell you. I made your cajun meatloaf.
meatloaf: 肉馅面包
我还尝试做了你的卡津烘肉卷。
That may be my favorite meal ever.
那大概是我吃过的最好的一顿饭了。
-Bree: I can't believe you saved this.
save: 保留
不敢相信你还留着这个。
Of course, I'm not really in the mood to write a cookbook right now.
in the mood: 有心情 mood:心情 right now:立即, 马上
但我现在真的没心情写烹饪书了。
-Eli:Well... maybe one day you will be.
说不定以后就会有了呢。
-Susan: Hey, Bree, I know what you can make for the wake—
wake: (葬礼前的)守夜,守灵
Bree 我知道你开胃菜该做什么了…
that flaky-breaded-shrimp thing.
flaky: 薄片的 shrimp: 虾
那个什么面包碎屑炸虾。
-Bree: Thanks, but I know exactly what I'm gonna make.
exactly:正确地
谢谢,但我已经知道要做什么了。
-Edie Britt: Dave, it was a nice trip, but I gotta tell you,
Dave 这趟旅途棒极了,但是跟你讲,
I aren't know why we spent all that money going to the Bahamas.
我不大了解,既然我们一直都呆在酒店里
If we're not gonna leave the hotel room,
hotel: 旅馆
为什么还要花那么多钱去巴哈马群岛。
then why not just cover ourselves in suntan lotion and have sex here?
suntan lotion : 防晒油 suntan : 晒黑 lotion: 化妆水
还不如涂上防晒油在这儿做爱呢。
-Dave: You just got a message from Mrs. Mccluskey.
McCluskey女士给你留言了。
She said your handyman died.
说你的修理工去世了。
-Edie Britt: Eli?
Eli?
Oh, my god.
上帝啊。
-Dave: He was working on Susan's roof and dropped dead of a heart attack.
dead: 死的,
心脏病发作时,他正在修葺Susan家的房顶。
Can you believe that?
你能相信吗?
-Edie Britt: No, no, no. You are not going to the gym again.
不不不,你不能去健身。
You said we were gonna have afternoon sex.
说好我们要享受午后性爱的。
-Umberto: We'll do it when I get back.
等我回来再享受好了。
-Edie Britt: You say that every time ,Umberto, and then you're too tired.
每次你都这么说 Umberto 每次你回来后都太累了。
-Umberto: Maybe I wouldn't be if,you weren't so clingy.
clingy: 爱缠著人的
如果你不这么缠人的话我也就不会精疲力尽了。
-Edie Britt: Clingy?
缠人?
We haven't had sex in two weeks.
我们已经两周没亲热过了。
It's like I'm 15 again.
搞得好像我又回到了15岁。
What's wrong with us?
我们到底怎么了?
-Umberto: Not us. You.
不是我们的问题,是你。
Your libido is out of control.
libido:性的冲动 out of control: 失去控制 control: 控制, 克制
你的性欲太旺盛了!
-Edie Britt: Umberto--
Umberto…
-Umberto: Look, you've got a drawerful of toys. Use them.
drawerful:一抽屉之量, 大量
你不是有那么多工具吗? 用它们好了。
-Edie Britt: Eli! I…I forgot you were in there.
Eli,我忘记你还在这儿了。
-Eli:Yeah. I'm done fixing your faucet.
faucet: 龙头
是的,水龙头修好了。
Actually, I was done ten minutes ago, but I was afraid to come out.
其实十分钟前就搞定了,我只是不敢出来。
-Edie Britt: I'm sorry you heard all of that.
不好意思都让你听见了。
-Eli:The good news is, while I was in there, I re-re-grouted your tub...
grout: 用薄泥浆填塞 tub: 桶
好消息是,我顺便紧了紧你的浴缸…
free of charge.
free of charge: 免费 free: 免费的
免费的。
-Edie Britt: Wait a second.
等等。
What do you think of my ass?
ass: 屁股
你觉得我的屁股怎么样?
-Eli:Sorry?
什么?
-Edie Britt: My ass-- on a scale from one to ten.
scale: 范围
我的屁股 1到10能拿几分?
-Eli: Well, I-I-I,, uh...
这个…我觉得
-Edie Britt: Ticktock.
ticktock:(钟、表等的)滴答声
快点。
-Eli:Ten. It's a ten.
10分,10分。
-Edie Britt: Aand the boobs? Perky and firm?
boob(俚)女性的乳房 perky:活泼的,大胆的 firm:坚挺的
胸部呢? 坚挺和紧致?
-Eli:You've named them?
你还给她们取了名字?
-Edie Britt: Oh, come on, Eli. My husband won't have sex with me.
别逗了,Eli 我老公不愿和我上床。
I just need to make sure it's not... me.
我只是想确定不是我的问题。
-Eli: It's not you.,
不是你的问题’。
-Edie Britt: Are you sure?
你确定?
-Eli:Trust me. I used to work in construction.
construction:建筑
相信我,我以前在建筑工地干过。
My buddies would've gone crazy for you—catcalls
buddy: 弟兄,老兄,老弟[尤作非正式称呼语] crazy: 疯狂的 catcall:发尖叫声
我的兄弟们会为你疯狂的,口哨连连,蠢蠢欲动。
uh, nasty gestures
嗨,大胸妹。
work done, call me!
有什么活儿的话,就叫我。
'Cause I got the perfect tool for the job!"
perfect:完美的, 理想的
因为我的工具很正点哦。
y-you get the drift.
drift:要旨,大意
你懂我意思吧。
-Edie Britt: Yeah. I do.
嗯。
That was insulting and demeaning.
insulting:无礼的 demeaning:低贱的
真是无耻下流。
Thank you so much.
非常感谢。
-Eli:Miss Britt?
Britt小姐?
The door was wide open.
wide: 宽的
门没关。
I got the paint. You want to check the color?
paint: 油漆 check: 检查
涂料拿来了,想看看颜色吗?
Is everything okay?
没事儿吧?
-Edie Britt: Things are great.
一切都好极了。
You want some wine? We're celebrating.
celebrating: 庆祝
来点酒吗? 我们来庆祝一下。
-Eli:What's the occasion?
occasion: 场合, 时机
庆祝什么?
-Edie Britt: I am no longer married to a gay guy.
我和那个同性恋离婚了。
-Eli:Umberto was gay?
Umberto是个同性恋?
-Edie Britt: So you wasted your time installing that light in the closet, because...
install: 安装 closet: 壁橱
壁橱里的灯你算是白装了,因为...
he wentflying out ofthere.
fly out: 突然冲出
他看都不看一眼。
-Eli:At least you know now it wasn't you.
at least: 至少
至少你知道不是你的问题了。
Wasn't it?
是吗?
-Edie Britt: He said that being married to me was what convinced him that he liked men.
convince: 使相信
他说娶了我才确信自己爱的是男人。
You could imagine what a boost to the ego that was.
boost: 推进 ego: 自我; 自尊心
瞧我的作用有多伟大啊。
-Eli:Come on.
算了吧。
You had a gay guy sleeping with you for two years, and those guys are pretty hard to land.
land: [口语]得到,赢得,弄到,获得
你和一个同性恋睡了两年,那些家伙可没那么容易吊哦。
No. No, trust me.
trust: 相信
相信我
no need to be sad.
没必要伤心。
-Edie Britt: You're a knockout.
knockout:给人留下深刻印象的人
你是一个尤物。
-Eli:No, I-I-I need this hand back.
请松...手。
It's hard to be a handyman without a-a hand.
没手就做不了修理工了。
Miss Britt, what are you doing?
Britt小姐,你在干什么?
-Edie Britt: You put the mirror over my bed.
mirror: 镜子
你在我床上方安了面镜子。
You know exactly what I'm doing.
你肯定清楚我在干什么。
-Eli:Are you sure about this?
你真的要这样吗?
I don't want to take advantage of you.
take advantage of: (趁机)利用,利用(时机等);从…中得到好处
我可不想占你的便宜。
oh, I'm sure you'll be gentle.
gentle: 温柔的.
我知道你会很温柔的
-Dave: Anyway, I guess they're burying him on Saturday.
bury:埋葬
不管怎么样他周六就要下葬了。
Obviously, you want to go.
你肯定想去的。
-Edie Britt: Yeah. I do.
是的。
oh, leave that black dress out.
别把它收起来。
I'll get it dry-cleaned for the funeral.
我要去干洗一下,穿去参加葬礼。
-Dave: A little sexy for a funeral, isn't it?
在葬礼上是不是有点太性感了?
-Edie Britt: Oh, I don't think Eli would mind.
Eli不会介意的。
-Penny: mom?
妈?
-Lynette Scavo: That's Penny.
是Penny。
I'll be right back.
我就回来。
-Penny: Mom!
妈!
-Lynette Scavo: Hey, sweetie.
嘿,甜心
What's up?
怎么了?
-Penny: You said you would help me with my math.
你说会辅导我数学的。
We're dividing fractions.
divide: 除 fraction: 分数
我们在学分数除法
-Lynette Scavo: I wish you'd caught me two chardonnays ago.
chardonnays: 夏敦埃酒(一种类似夏布利酒的无甜味白葡萄酒)
你要是在我喝两杯白葡萄酒之前叫我就好了。
-Penny: Mom, you promised.
promise: 承诺
妈,你答应过我的。
-Lynette Scavo: I know, but mommy's still planning Eli's memorial.
memorial: 纪念仪式, 追悼会
我知道,可妈妈还在盘算Eli的追悼会呢。
Start without me.
先自己做吧。
I'll be there in a little while.
我一会就去。
-Tom: oh, my gosh.
gosh: 啊; 糟了
哦,我的天。
Lynette, are you okay?
Lynette 你还好么?
-Lynette Scavo: The doctor just called.
医生刚打来电话。
I'm pregnant.
我怀孕了。
-Tom: This is, fantastic! You…
fantastic: 奇妙的
这太棒了! 你…
-Lynette Scavo: Yeah. Whoop-dee-doo.
是啊,哎呀呀。
-Tom: Honey, you don't sound too happy about this.
亲爱的,你听起来不太高兴。
-Lynette Scavo: I was planning to go back to work.
我在计划回去工作。
-Tom: What? What a—what are you talking about?
什么? 我--你在说什么呢?
-Lynette Scavo: I had it in the back of my mind for a while and then yesterday, I got a ph--
我最近一直在想这事昨天我接到个电…
-Tom: Hold it.
等一下。
Sorry.
对不起。
I was having trouble paying attention.
pay attention: 集中注意力 attention: 注意
我没法集中精神。
-Lynette Scavo: Jeffrey Cuevas is retiring in September.
Jeffrey Cuevas九月就退休了,
I am the perfect person to step into his job and that is exactly when Parker starts kindergarten.
kindergarten: 幼儿园
我是接他班的最好人选那时Parker正好上幼稚园。
The timing is like a dream.
时间安排好的像做梦。
-Tom: But what about our dream of having a-a little girl?
那我们想要个小女孩的梦呢?
This could be our chance.
这也许是个机会。
-Lynette Scavo: Oh, please.
哦,拜托。
You know it's gonna be a boy.
你知道这会是个男孩。
It's always a boy.
一直都是男孩。
It's just gonna pee in my face, and hide dead things in my shoes.
pee: 撒尿 (俚语) hide: 把...藏起来
他会尿在我脸上或是往我鞋里藏死动物。
I am doing this Tom.
我要去Tom。
I am going after this job.
go after: 谋求,力争
我要这份工作。
-Tom: But who's gonna take care of the kids?
但谁来照顾孩子呢?
-Lynette Scavo: Well, I was hoping you could cut back on your hours at work.
cut back on: 减少
我希望你能减少工作时间。
-Tom: I can't do that.
我不能。
I have a career.
career:事业
我这是事业。
-Lynette Scavo: You did not just say that.
你刚才说什么。
-Tom: No ,I-I didn't. I didn't.
不,我--我没有,没有。
-Lynette Scavo: Tom ,I cannot just stay at home wiping noses.
wipe: 擦拭
Tom,我不能光呆在家里给他们擦鼻涕。
I need it for my sanity and I need you to back me up.
sanity: 神智健全,头脑清楚,健全 back up: 支持
我需要工作保持正常,我也需要你的支持。
-Tom: Well, the kids are up.
孩子们醒了。
They're gonna want their breakfast.
他们会要早餐的。
And I'm gonna back you up, by ,uh, making it for them.
我会支持你--我去做早饭。
-Lynette Scavo: My hero.
我的英雄啊。
Jeff Cuevas is fantastic, but I know I could take his department to a whole new level.
department: 部门 level: 水平
Jeff Cuevas做的很棒,但我知道我会让他的部门更上一层楼。
-Tom: What the hell is that?
这他妈是什么?
-Lynette Scavo: Oh, my water broke.
哦,我的羊水破了。
Take the overnight bag out to the car.
overnight bag : 过夜行李 overnight: 通宵的
把小旅行包拿到车里去
Oh, three weeks.
哦,三周。
That's a little soon but, uh ,sure, I, could make that work.
有点急啊,不过当然,我能做到。
-Tom: For god sakes, Lynette, we gotta go to the hospital.
看在上帝份上,Lynette我们得去医院。
-Lynette Scavo: in a minute.
马上。
I'm trying to lock this job down.
lock down: 锁住【这里理解为“确定下来”】
我想把这份工作确定下来。
what kind of perks are we talking about here?
perks: 给任职(主要指高级管理职务)人员的特殊待遇
我们刚才说有什么额外津贴呢?
-Tom: Okay, you're having contractions.
contraction: 【生理学】(肌肉的)挛缩,收缩
好吧,你开始宫缩了。
-Lynette Scavo: That's, it. You--
够了,你…
I swear, if you touch this phone, I will have this baby right here and then beat you with it!
swear:发誓 beat: 打
我发誓,你要是碰这电话我就马上把孩子生出来扔到你身上!
-Tom: You're insane.
insane:患精神病的
你疯了。
-Lynette Scavo: We have to go.
我们该走了。
Could you hold on one second?
你能等一下么?
we agreed I could go back to work after I gave birth.
我们说好了等我生了孩子就回去工作的
-Tom: After, Lynette ,not during!
生完 Lynette 不是生的时候!
-Lynette Scavo: I'm sorry.
不好意思。
Is there any way we could finish this conversation tomorrow?
conversation:交谈, 说话
我们能明天再说这事么?
L-l-later in the day, works better for me, too.
今--今天晚些时候也成。
Well, thank you very much.
太感谢了。
Bye.
再见。
I got the job
我得到工作了。
-Tom: Congratulations.
恭喜你。
The baby's arm is sticking out.
stick out:突出,伸出
小孩的胳膊就要伸出来了。
-Lynette Scavo: Why don't you high-five it?
high-five: 向…举手击掌致意
你怎么不跟它击个掌呢?。
Tom, I am in pain.
in pain: 疼痛
Tom 我很痛。
Do you mind?
你能别这样吗?
You'll see, Tom.
你会明白的,Tom。
I know.
我知道。
People say that you...
人们总说...
You can't have it all but I know we can.
不能鱼与熊掌兼得,但我知道我们可以。
Oh, Mr. Swenson, I can't tell you how excited I am.
哦,Swenson先生,你不知道我有多兴奋。
Maybe you could schedule a staff meeting, so I could hit the ground running on Monday.
hit the ground running: 立即开始做 schedule:安排, 计划 staff: 职员, 工作人员
希望你能安排个员工会,这样周一我就能直接开始了。
No, no. No, it can't be Friday, because remember we agreed that we would start next week?
不,周五不行。记得我们说好下周再开始么?
so again, thank you so much for this opportunity.
opportunity:机会, 时机
那多谢你给我这个机会。
-Eli:Mrs. Scavo?
斯加沃夫人?
-Lynette Scavo: Yeah?
什么事?
I think you might have forgotten something
我觉得你也许忘了点东西。
-Lynette Scavo: Could you hold on a second?
你能等一下么?
Oh, my god.
哦我的天
Oh, my god.
哦我的天
I was on the phone.
我在打电话。
I was talking to my new boss, and I...
我在跟我的新上司说话,我...
-Eli:She was only in there for a minute.
她只在那呆了几分钟。
-Lynette Scavo: But it's 85 degrees outside.
可外面有85华氏度。
I've never done this before.
我以前从没这样过。
-Eli: You got a lot on your mind-- three kids, and a newborn, it sounds like a new job.
你要想的事太多了…三个孩子一个新生儿刚才那听起来像个新工作。
-Lynette Scavo: Yeah, I do.
是的,我要想的事很多。
-Eli: Yeah.
是啊。
It's a lot to handle.
handle: 处理
要处理的事很多。
There you go.
给你。
I should probably get back to Susan's windows.
我差不多该回去修Susan的窗户了。
Uh, you take care.
嗯你保重。
-Man: Lynette, are you still there?
Lynette 你还在么?
Lynette?Hello?
Lynette? 喂?
-Gabrielle: Are you still there?
你还在么?
Hey.
嘿
You coming back in?
快进来呀
-Lynette Scavo: No.
不。
I'm gonna go help my daughter with her homework.
我得去辅导女儿的功课了。
Hey, Penny!
嘿 Penny!
Wait up!
等一下!
-Susan: Yard sale!
yard sale: 庭院旧货出售,现场旧货出售
卖旧货了!
Good.
太好了
You're here.
你来了
How are you, Eli?
最近怎么样 Eli?
-Eli:Fine.
很好。
You?
你呢?
-Susan: Great.
非常好
Yeah,I haven't worn these jeans in a while and I found 20 bucks in the pocket.
buck:钱 pocket:口袋
是啊,我很久都没穿这些牛仔裤了,我在兜里找到了20块。
Don't you just love when that happens?
如果你遇到这事不会很高兴么?
Also, Karl left me for his secretary so I need you to change these locks.
secretary:秘书
Karl为他的秘书要离开我,所以我要你把这些锁换了。
-Eli:Oh ,I'm so sorry.
哦,真替你难过。
-Susan: Oh, thanks but don't be.
哦,谢谢,不过不用。
Just hurry.
快点就好了。
Karl said he was coming by to get some of his stuff,
stuff:东西
Karl说他要过来拿他的东西。
and I want this place to be a fortress by then.
fortress:城堡
我希望那时这里像堡垒一样坚固。
-Eli:You're doing all right, though?
即使这样你处理得还好吧?
-Susan: Oh, well, on one hand, I got dumped for a pair of headlights named Brandy.
on one hand: 一方面 dump: [口语]丢掉,丢弃,抛弃,除掉,处理掉 headlight: 前灯; 桅灯
我因为一个叫Brandy的大胸女而被甩了。
On the other, I reported Karl's credit cards stolen,
on the other: 另一方面 credit:信用卡 stolen:被偷了
另一方面,我报失了Karl的信用卡。
and cut the pockets out of all of his pants.
我还把他裤子上的口袋都剪了。
So a little from column "A" a little from column "B."
column:列,队
A队B队打成平手
sorry.
对不起
-Eli:Well, if it's any consolation redheads are nuts.
consolation: 安慰, 令人安慰的事物 nut:难对付的人
希望这话能安慰你,红头发的人都是疯子。
-Susan: What do you mean?
你什么意思?
-Eli:That she'll make his life a living hell.
她会让他活在地狱里。
It sounds like what he deserves.
deserve: 应得
听起来这是他自找的。
-Susan: Brandy's not a redhead. She's blonde.
blonde: 金发碧眼的女人
Brandy不是红头发,她是金发。
-Eli:So, uh, you maybe want to go with a dead bolt this time?
bolt: 闩, 门栓
那,嗯,你这次想用锁定插销么?
-Susan: What...do...you...know?
你…知道…什么?
-Eli:I saw him around town a couple times with a redhead.
我有几次在城里看到他跟个红头发在一起。
Uh, people in the neighborhood were talking.
邻居们都在说这事。
I-I thought you knew.
我--我以为你知道。
-Susan: I didn't.
我不知道。
-Eli:Would you feel any better knowing that, uh, she's kinda chubby?
chubby: 圆胖的
如果你知道她有点胖会感觉好一点么?
-Susan: Just leave!
走!
-Eli:But what-- but what about the locks?
可是…可是锁怎么办?
I-I-if Karl's, coming...
如果Karl来了...
-Susan: Change the locks then leave.
把锁换了,然后走。
-Eli:Okay, but I, really am sorry--
好吧,真的很抱歉...
-Susan: Change the locks, don't talk to me then leave.
换锁,闭嘴,然后走人。
-Eli:Susan?
Susan?
Susan, did you call me?
Susan 你给我打电话了吗?
I couldn't really, understand the message.
你的留言我没太听懂
You want me to come back later?
我是不是一会再来?
Are you all right?
你还好吗?
No.
不。
Of course you're not.
当然。
I heard you and Mike are getting divorced.
divorced: 离婚的
听说你和Mike要离婚了。
I'm sorry.
很遗憾。
Probably not what you want to hear but I thought you were a great couple.
couple: 夫妇,
说句不合时宜的话,我一直觉得你和Mike很般配。
-Susan: Thanks.
谢谢。
Sweet.
很贴心。
-Eli:Do you--maybe you remember, what you wanted me to do?
你...还记得叫我来做什么吗?
Susan...
Susan...
-Susan: Locks.
锁。
-Eli:Change the locks.
换锁。
Got it.
明白了。
Let me go see what I got out in the truck.
truck: 卡车,载货汽车
我去车上找点工具
Susan...
Susan...
I don't know much about love.
我对爱所知甚浅。
I...I dabbled in it once or twice but it, always seemed more trouble than it was worth.
dabble: 涉足; 浅尝 worth: 值得
试过一两次,每次都让我质疑值不值得为它焦头烂额。
I told myself I wasn't missing much.
我告诉自己没有爱情,生活也不缺失什么。
But watching you all these years, how...
但这些年看着你…
how hard you've tried, how...
用心良苦地争取…
how hurt you've been but you still...
即使深深地受伤….
keep getting back up, you dust yourself off, then you try again.
dust off: 弄掉...灰尘【整理好心情】
也能收拾心情重头再来
Maybe I am...
我意识到...
missing something.
我的人生也许真的有缺失。
Maybe...
也许...
maybe it is worth it.
为爱折腾或许是值得的。
and, um ,I'm sure it's not gonna help for you to hear tell you this,
嗯...这么说对你没什么帮助
but you're damn heroic to me.
heroic: 英勇的, 英雄式的
可你是我心目中英勇的冒险家。
You are.
真的。
-Susan: Yeah.
真的。
-Eli:Just dropping these off.
这个给你
I finally got them cut.
终于配好了。
Tell Jackson I'm sorry, it took me so long.
跟Jackson说下,抱歉弄了这么久。
-Susan: Actually, um...
其实,嗯...
Jackson and I split up.
我和Jackson分手了。
-Eli:Wow, I'm sorry.
哦,,抱歉。
Am I sorry?
我该抱歉还是?
-Susan: Oh, yeah.
哦,是的。
He's a great guy.
他是个好人。
I just, uh, want to be alone right now.
我只是想一个人过一阵。
-Eli:Well, good for you.
哦,那也不错。
-Susan: As long as you're here, I think there's a loose shingle on my roof.
loose: 不牢固的 shingle: 屋顶板, 木瓦
你来的正好,我屋顶上有片瓦松了.
Do you think maybe you could fix it for me?
能帮我修下么?
-Eli:Oh ,I'd be happy to.
哦,乐意效劳.
But just so you know, it'll be the last thing I ever fix for you.
只是这将是我最后一次帮你修东西了。
I'm retiring.
我要退休了。
-Susan: What?
啊?
-Eli:Today's my last day.
今天最后一天工作。
-Susan: You can't retire.
你不能退休。
I break too many things.
我总把东西弄坏。
-Eli:I know.
我知道。
You paid for the trip to Hawaii I'm gonna take.
我正准备去夏威夷度假,就是用你付的佣金结帐。
No, it's the right move.
我是该退了。
Be happy for me.
为我高兴吧。
-Susan: Hey, I am happy for you.
嗯,我为你高兴。
It's just, uh...
只是,呃...
this is gonna sound crazy.
crazy: 惊讶的
你听了别惊讶
-Eli: What?
什么?
-Susan: Um, I think you have been the most consistent male relationship in my life.
consistent: 始终如一的 male: 男性的 relationship: 关系,
嗯...我想你是我生活中最知心的男性朋友
You're so stable and reliable, and I just...
stable: 稳定的,可靠的 reliable: 可靠的, 可信赖的
你平和又可靠,我...
always thought you'd be around.
我一直感觉你就在身边。
Which is funny because I don't really know anything about you.
funny: 好笑的
说起来好笑,其实我对你一点不了解。
-Eli:Well, how about this…I fix your shingle and when I'm one you can ask me anything you want.
那这样,我修完你的房顶,你可以问我任何事。
-Susan: Great.
太好了。
I will go to the store right now and get some wine so we can toast your retirement.
wine: 葡萄酒, 酒 toast: 举杯祝酒 retirement: 退休
我去商店买酒,咱们庆祝你退休。
-Eli:I like that.
不错。
Perfect way to end my time on Wisteria lane.
最好的方式结束我在紫藤巷的工作。
-Susan: Oh, Yeah.
嗯,对。
What kind do you like…red or white?
你喜欢红酒还是白的?
-Eli:Either one.
都行.
Just make sure it's a screw top.
screw: 旋, 拧
只要是螺旋口的就行。
-Mary Alice:Eli Scruggs was buried on a Saturday...
Eli Scruggs是在周六下葬…
and all the people that Eli had helped over the years came to pay their last respects.
respect: 敬重, 尊敬
这些年来所有他帮到过的人都来送葬,以表达敬意。
But one person was missing—
person: 人
只有一个人未到...
someone who had changed Eli's life... in a way he never forgot.
一个曾改变了Eli的人,他永远也不会忘记。
-Eli:Excuse me, ma'am.
打扰了,夫人。
Hope I'm not interrupting your day.
interrupt: 打扰
但愿我没太打扰您。
-Mary Alice:Not at all. Can I help you?
没有,有事吗?
I was hoping I could help you.
不知我能不能帮您。
-Eli:I'm a handyman.
我是个修理工。
Just moved into town.
刚刚搬来。
Looking for work.
look for: 寻找
想找点事做。
-Mary Alice:Sorry. I, um, I don't have anything that needs fixing.
不好意思,我...没有什么要修理。
-Eli:Well, if you ever do, uh, here's my card.
哦,如果您什么时候有需要,这是我的卡片。
-Mary Alice:Eli Scruggs.
Eli Scruggs。
What a distinctive name.
distinctive: 有特色的
名字真有个性.。
-Eli:People do seem to remember it.
确实挺容易被人记住。
So if any of your friends, uh, need help I can do pretty much anything.
如果您的朋友有需要,我差不多什么都能修。
-Mary Alice:I don't know.
我不知道。
if you have a extra card or two ,I-I could hand them out.
extra: 额外的 hand out: 分发
你还有没有卡片,我可以带给他们。
-Eli:Oh, I'd really appreciate that.
哦,那我感激不尽。
Anyway...
不论如何...
thank you for your time.
谢谢您的耐心
-Mary Alice:I have a broken vase.
vase: 花瓶
我有个碎了的花瓶。
-Eli:I'm sorry?
什么?
-Mary Alice:I-I was ,uh, dusting the other day and knocked it off the bureau like an idiot.
bureau: 写字台 idiot: 白痴
我那天打扫卫生笨手笨脚地把它给摔了,
Anyway, I saved the pieces.
但碎片还没扔掉。
If you could glue it back together for me, I'd really appreciate it.
glue: 胶合; 粘合
你能不能帮我把它粘起来。
-Eli:Oh, ma'am, you don't have to do that.
哦,夫人,您不用这样。
-Mary Alice:Mr. Scruggs ,I need my vase fixed.
Scruggs先生,我想把我的花瓶修好。
It means a lot to me.
这很重要。
Now you're not gonna make me beg, are you?
不是要我求你吧?
-Eli:No, ma'am, I'm not.
不是,夫人,不是那个意思。
-Mary Alice:Good.
好。
Come on in.
跟我来。
-Eli:Mr Young?
Young太太?
Didn't mean to disturb you.
disturb: 打扰
不好意思打扰了。
Your front door was wide open.
你家门开着。
-Mary Alice:Eli ,I-I don't have any work for you today.
Eli 我今天没有事情给你做。
-Eli:I'm just here to drop off that handle you wanted.
我只是来把你要的把手给你。
Finally found one that matched.
match: 使…相配
终于找到合适的了。
Want me to install it?
install: 安装
需要我装好吗?
-Mary Alice:Not today.
改天吧。
-Eli:Okay.
好的。
I'll just be going then.
那我走了。
-Mary Alice:Eli, wait.
等等 Eli。
At?
怎么?
Do you remember this?
还记得这个么?
-Eli:Oh, right.
哦,记得。
-Mary Alice:This is the very first thing you ever fixed for me.
这是你给我修的第一样东西。
-Eli:Yeah, that must have been what ,uh, two years or?
是啊,有一两年了吧?
I just that glue really held,
那浆糊粘得真结实。
-Mary Alice:Yeah.
是啊。
I want you to have it.
我想送给你。
-Eli:What?
啊?
Why?
为什么?
-Mary Alice:I've just been doing some thinking about the people I know,
我想我认识的人们做点事情,
the ones who've walked into my and made it better than it was before...
他们走进我的生命并让我的生活变得更美好。
People like you.
比如你。
Anyway, I've--I've-- I've never said "thank you."
我好像还从没说过"谢谢你"。
-Eli:Oh, no, I'm--I'm the one who should thank you.
哦,不用,应该我谢你才对。
You--you introduced me to all your friends.
introduce: 介绍
是你把我介绍给你的朋友们。
My business couldn't be better.
我的生意才会这么好。
-Mary Alice:I'm so glad.
我很荣幸。
-Eli:Yeah.
是啊。
-Mary Alice:Anyway, I ,uh ,I want you to have this.
不论如何,我希望你收下。
-Eli:Mrs. Young...
Young太太...
are you all right?
你还好么?
-Mary Alice:everything's fine.
很好。
-Eli:Are you sure?
你确定?
-Mary Alice:You should go now.
你走吧。
-Woman: So I look in the window, and there's blood everywhere--
我从窗子看进去,到处都是血…
all over the walls and the ceiling...
ceiling: 天花板
墙上,天花板上...
Not to mention her hardwood floors, which she just had installed last week.
mention: 提及; 说起 hardwood: 硬木 floor: 地板
她上周才刚装的地板上也全是血。
I don't know what she was thinking.
真不知道她在想什么。
I just wish there had been some warning, some sign that she would do such a thing.
sign: 前兆
一点征兆都没有,真是没想到啊。
-Mary Alice:Eli Scruggs sat in his truck for almost an hour,
Eli Scruggs在车里坐了快1个小时,
devastated that be had done nothing to save me.
devastated: 身心交瘁的
好后悔自己没能劝阻我。
He then made a quiet vow to god—
vow: 誓约
他默默地向上帝立誓…
from that moment forward,
从那一刻起,
he would do what he could to help people to help them fix their lives.
他要尽所能帮助人们修复他们的生活。
And for the rest of his life, that's exactly what he did.
exactly: 完全的
在他之后的生活中,确实这么做了
-Bree: That was a lovely service.
service:招待, 服侍
葬礼很隆重。
-Gabrielle: Eli would've liked it.
Eli会满意的。
-Edie Britt: Hell of a turnout.
turnout.:出席者
来的人真多。
-Lynette Scavo: Who knew he had so many friends?
真不知道他有那么多朋友。
-Susan: I'm not surprised.
一点也不出奇。
He was a good man.
他是个好人。
-Lynette Scavo: I can't help feeling there's more we could have done to honor him.
honor: 尊敬
我还是觉得我们做的不够,以表达敬意。
-Susan: Well, let's just make sure we remember him.
我们永远记着他吧。
-Gabrielle: Eli would have said that's more than most people get.
Eli会知足地说已经足够了。
-Edie Britt: And he would have been right...as usual.
as usual:照常
他会是对的,他永远都是对的。
-Bree: Wait.
等下。
I wanted to fix something for Eli for a change.
我很想有机会为Eli修整点什么。
-Mary Alice:And somewhere in a place reserved for the very best of us,
reserved: 保留
在我们终将汇集的地方,
Eli Scruggs smiled and said "thank you."
smile: 微笑
Eli Scruggs含笑说"谢谢你们" 。
词汇解析:Crystal 校对:Cici



评 论


