看绝望的主妇学英语 Desperate Housewives 第五季 17集:The Story of Lucy and Jessie
-Mary Alice: Previously on Desperate Housewives.
previously: 以前(预先)
<欲乱绝情妻>前情提要
-Dave: Before we met, I was married to someone else, but she died.
认识你之前,我曾结过婚,但她去世了。
-Mary Alice: Edie's quest began.
quest: 探索,寻求
Edie开始探索真相。
-Dave: What would you and Katherine think about going camping?
camping: 野营
你和Katherine想去野营吗?
-Mike: It's gonna be fun.
gonna=going to: 将要 fun: 乐趣
应该很好玩。
-Mary Alice: And Dave's plan moved forward.
plan: 计划 move forward: 前进
Dave的计划进展顺利。
-Dave: This is gonna be fun.
绝对很好玩。
-Tom: Were you serious about wanting to go back to work?
serious: 认真的
你当真考虑重返职场?
-Mary Alice: Lynette took a new path.
path: 道路
Lynette选择了新的前途。
-Tom: Now it's your turn.
轮到你施展了。
-Bradley: Tell Carlos he's fired.
fire: 解雇
告诉Carlos他被炒了。
-Mary Alice: But it was Carlos' boss...
但Carlos的老板...
-Maria: He just kept telling me he loves her.
他不停地对我说,他爱她。
-Mary Alice: Who was terminated.
terminate: 结束,终止
被终结生命。
-Maria: I just wanted him to stop talking.
我只想让他闭嘴。
-Carlos: Come on, Gaby. We're gonna be late.
快点,Gaby,该迟到了。
-Mary Alice: Gabrielle Solis hated going to funerals for all sorts of reasons—
funeral: 葬礼 all sorts of: 许多的
Gabrielle Solis讨厌参加葬礼--
black was not her color...
黑色与她不般配...
crying depressed her...
depress: 使...沮丧
哭泣令她消沉...
and lilies made her sneeze.
lily: 百合花 sneeze: 打喷嚏
她对百合过敏。
also, Gabrielle despised any event...
despise: 轻视
并且,Gabrielle讨厌任何活动...
where she was not the center of attention.
attention: 注意力
当她不是关注焦点的时候。
Luckily, at this funeral, that would not be a problem.
幸运的是,在这场葬礼上,她可是焦点。
-Jody: Gaby, I was hoping you'd be here.
Gaby,我很希望你能来。
Everyone is saying that you and Carlos were there,
大家都传言,你和Carlos在现场。
you know, when Maria killed Bradley.
你知道 Maria杀Bradley的犯罪现场。
-Gaby: you know, Jody, I really don't think this is the time or place to discuss gory details.
gory:血淋淋的,满是血的 detail: 细节
Jody 此时此地谈论血腥场面不合适。
-Jody: You're absolutely right.
absolutely: 绝对的
你说的对。
sit next to me at the wake.
next to: 次于(紧跟在…之后的)
守灵时坐我旁边。
-Gaby: I want to go home!
我想回家!
-Carlos: Well, we just got here. The funeral hasn't even started.
我们才到,葬礼甚至没开始呢。
-Gaby: Yeah, well, I have a feeling most of these vultures didn't come to pay their
respects to Brad.
vulture: 秃鹰,坏人
我觉得这些贪婪的人根本不是来缅怀Brad的。
They're just here to pump us for dirt about his murder.
pump: 盘问 murder:谋杀
他们只想听谋杀案的八卦。
-Carlos: Okay, even so, I can't be seen walking out of here early.
就算这样,我也不能当众提前退场。
These people are my coworkers.
coworker: 同事
他们是我的同事。
-Gaby: Were your coworkers Bradley fired you. Remember?
曾是同事Bradley把你炒了,你忘啦?
-Carlos: Yeah, and Maria killed him eight hours later.
是,但8小时后Maria就杀了他。
He might not have told anyone, so pipe down.
pipe: 吹哨子
也许他没来得及告诉别人,小声点。
We don't need people thinking that we put the knife in Maria's hands.
knife: 刀
不要让别人以为我们是Maria的同谋。
-Owen: Carlos.
Carlos
-Carlos: Gaby, this is, uh, Owen Johnston, our C.E.O.
CEO: 首席执行长官
Gaby,这是Owen Johnston,我们的CEO。
-Gaby: How do you do?
你们还好吗?
-Owen: I know it's an awkward time, but I must catch a plane right after the service,
awkward: 尴尬的
我知道时间不恰当,但葬礼后我得赶飞机。
and I need to talk to you.
我得和你谈谈。
-Carlos: About what?
关于什么?
-Owen: Bradley called me before he died.
Bradley死前曾打电话给我,
He wanted to discuss your job performance.
performance: 表现
他想谈谈你的工作表现。
-Gaby: Well, what did he say?
他说什么了?
-Owen: Well, sadly, by the time I returned the call he was dead.
很可惜,我回电话时,他已经死了。
-Carlos: Really?
真的吗?
-Owen: But I think I know what he wanted to tell me.
不过我明白他想说什么。
Based upon the big bonus he fought for Carlos to have,
bonus: 奖金
基于他为Carlos争取的大额奖金。
it's fairly obvious he was going to recommend a promotion.
recommend: 建议 promotion: 升职
相当明显他想推荐你升职。
-Gaby: That was my guess, too.
我也这么想。
-Owen: The terrible irony is he didn't realize the job he was recommending
irony: 讽刺
很讽刺,他并没意识到他所推荐的职位,
would turn out to be his own.
turn out to be: 原来是
便是他自己的职位。
-Carlos: Wait.
等等
So you're offering me Bradley's job as president of the company?
president: 总裁
你给我Bradley的职务,公司总裁?
-Owen: I can't think of anyone better suited.
suit: 适合
没人能比你更胜任。
Now, of course, it would be the same compensation package.
compensation: 补偿,赔偿
当然,你会和他拿同等薪水。
Please. Tell me you'll accept.
accept: 接受
拜托你,接受此职位吧。
-Gaby: He sure will.
他当然会的。
the man has a plane to catch.
别耽误人家赶飞机。
-Carlos: I'd be honored to step in for Bradley.
step in for: 顶替(某人)
honor: 荣幸
我很荣幸接替Bradley。
-Owen: Good. I'm glad we've got that handled.
handle: 解决
很好,很高兴我们解决了问题。
Now we can focus on the sorrow of this tragic day.
focus on: 专注于 focus: 集中 tragic: 悲哀的
现在该专注于悲痛了。
-Gaby: The same compensation package! We're rich!
同等薪水! 我们有钱啦!
-Carlos: We Are at a funeral. Please be quiet.
这是葬礼,拜托安静些。
-Gaby: Okay.
没问题。
-Mary Alice: Yes, Gabrielle Solis hated going to funerals...
是的,Gabrielle Solis讨厌参加葬礼...
-Carlos: And for god sakes, stop smiling.
看在上帝的份上,别笑了。
-Mary Alice: Mostly because she couldn't pretend to be sad when she wasn't.
mostly: 主要的 pretend to: 自称具有 pretend: 假装
最主要的原因是,当她心花怒放时,无法装作悲伤。
You can find them on any sidewalk in any city...
sidewalk: 街道
任何一座城市,任何一条街道,你都能看到这种人...
people with, agendas—
agenda: 议事日程
心怀目的之人--
the woman who calls up an old friend, because she wants to borrow some cash...
call up: 召唤(召集,使人想起,打电话给) want to: 想要
约了闺蜜见面的女人,其实想借钱...
the man who takes his boss to lunch, because he wants the corner office...
请老板吃午饭的男人,其实想入主高层...
the girl who looks after her uncle, because she wants to be in the will...
will: 遗嘱
照顾叔叔的女孩,其实想从遗嘱里分杯羹...
Yes, you can see these people almost everywhere.
是的,无论何地,你都能看到这种人。
Doing what they can to keep their agendas hidden.
hide: 隐藏
用尽一切方法,隐藏他们的目的。
-Edie: Hello.
你好
-Someone: Hello.
你好
-Edie: I need to look someone up in your archives.
look up: 调查 archive: 档案
我需要查一个人的档案。
It's a client, and he's, uh, a bit of a smooth talker.
a bit of: 一点儿的
他是一个客户,能说会道。
Just want to make sure that he's not giving me the runaround.
make sure: 弄明白(查明白)
runaround: 逃避,回避
我只想确定他没骗我
-Someone: Sure. What's his name?
好的,他叫什么?
-Edie: David... Dash.
David...Dash
-Someone: All I've got here are the obituaries.
obituary: 讣告
这里全是讣告。
Anything else will take me a couple of days.
a couple of: 两个,几个
需要其他信息的话,还得等几天。
-Edie: Fine. Let's start with the obits.
start with: 从…开始
obit: (=obituary) 讣告
好的,就从讣告开始吧。
-Someone: No David...
没有叫David的...
-Edie: That's probably because, he's not dead. Try Lila.
因为他还没死,试试Lila。
-Someone: Lila Dash.
Lila Dash
Killed three years ago, car crash.
crash: 撞碎
三年前死于车祸。
-Edie: That was his wife. Give me that one.
是她妻子,就要这一页。
-Someone: Okay. You want Paige Dash, too?
好,要Paige Dash的档案吗?
-Edie: Paige?
Paige?
-Someone: Yeah, their daughter.
是,他们的女儿。
"Paige Dash, 3 years old,, daughter of Lila and David."
Paige Dash 3岁 Lila和David的女儿
It says here she died in the same crash.
死于同一场车祸
-Bree: Who are we Dishing?, I do hope it's not me.
dish: 说三道四
在聊谁的八卦呢? 希望不是我的。
-Susan: No, we've already covered you.
不,已经讨论过你了。
-Gaby: We've moved on to my, daughter, the thief.
move on to: 移到
thief: 小偷
我们在谈我的小偷女儿。
-Bree: Oh, dear. What happened?
亲爱的,发生什么了?
-Susan: I'm missing my small candy dish.
candy: 糖果
我的糖果盘丢了。
I had it last night when you guys were over for dinner,
昨晚你们来吃晚餐时,它还在呢。
because I remember Orson admiring it.
admire: 喜欢
我记得Orson很喜欢它哩。
-Bree: Yes, I, uh... remember that.
是的,我...记得了。
-Gaby: Anyway, Juanita went over before breakfast to invite M.J. to her birthday party,
Juanita早饭前去邀请M.J.参加生日聚会。
and, well, candy plus Juanita.
糖果诱人,Juanita又不乖。
You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to crack this case.
crack: 打开
想破案可不难。
-Susan: Well, we don't know that for sure. I could have misplaced it.
for sure: 确定,毫无疑问
不能一口咬定是她,也许我记错位置了。
-Bree: I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere.
turn up: 出现
它一定会出现的。
Well... I'm off.
那么...我走了。
Andrew, cancel my lunch.
cancel: 取消
Andrew,取消我的午餐计划。
No, everything's fine.
不,一切都好。
Your stepfather's just misplaced a few things, and I need to find them.
你继父放错了一些东西,我帮他找找。
-Lynette: Hey, Tom.
嗨,Tom。
No, still waiting. Big surprise.
不,还在等待,有个大惊喜。
They're running behind at an ad agency.
ad: 广告 agency: 代理,代理处
这么多人竞聘广告公司。
So did any of those other places call back?
其他应聘公司有回应吗?
Seriously? Six interviews and nothing?
interview: 面试
真的? 六场面试一次没成功?
Well, I should probably try and keep my game face on here.
我得在这努力争取。
I'll--I'll call you, later. I love you. Bye.
再打给你,我爱你,再见。
-Nikki: Mariana! I had a feeling that you'd be interviewing for this!
Mariana! 我就感觉你会来面试的!
-Mariana: Hey, Nikki.
嘿,Nikki。
-Nikki: so I guess Anna should be showing up any minute, too.
show up: 出现
我猜Anna也随时可能来。
-Mariana: No. You didn't hear? She's pregnant.
pregnant: 怀孕
不会,你没听说吗? 她怀孕了。
-Nikki: Oh, My god. A kid and she, just turned 30? Bye-bye, career.
career: 事业
天哪,30岁生孩子? 跟事业说再见吧。
-Mariana: Oh, don't start. I'm gonna be 30 in 2 years. I feel so old.
别提伤心事,我还有2年就满30了,感觉自己好老哦。
Do you wanna know what's even sadder?
你知道什么更可悲吗?
I just heard that veronica's looking for work, and she's 39.
look for: 寻找
我听说Veronica还在找工作,她都39了。
-Mariana: In this business?
在广告界?
after 35, they take you out back, and they shoot you in the face.
take out: 换掉
35岁之后,他们把你换下来,然后朝你脸上开枪(一脚踹开)。
-Secretary: Lynette Scavo. We're ready for you.
Lynette Scavo 轮到你面试了。
Coming.
来吧。
-Lynette: Do me a favor. If you hear a gunshot, tell my four kids I love them.
do a favor: 帮忙 favor: 帮忙 gunshot: 枪声
请帮我个忙,如果你们听到枪响,麻烦告诉我的4个孩子我爱他们。
-Susan: Now as you listen to the music, see what pops into your head.
listen to: 听
听着音乐,画出脑子里蹦出的画面。
What shapes does it make you see?
shape: 形状
看到了什么形状?
What colors are you thinking of?
think of: 想到
想到什么颜色?
-Jessie: Uh, why are the children drawing with crayons?
crayon: 蜡笔
为何孩子们用蜡笔画画?
They're supposed to be making clay vases.
supposed to be: 【本应如此】[Are you supposed to be in Australia now? ] suppose: 应该 clay: 陶土 vase: 花瓶
他们本该做黏土花瓶的。
-Susan: Well, I wanted to do something more free.
我想更随意些。
It's an imagination-building exercise.
这是想象力练习。
-Jessie: Looks like a lot of scribbling to me.
a lot of: 许多(很多)
scribble: 随意乱画
我看更像乱涂乱画。
Susan, these parents pay $22,000 a year to send their kids here.
Susan,家长们每年花$22,000让孩子在这上学。
As art teachers, it's our job to give them something adorable to put on their desks
adorable: 可爱的
作为艺术老师,我们的任务是让孩子创造一些能摆得上台面的作品。
to smile at while they, write those tuition checks.
tuition: 学费 check: 支票
让家长乐意交学费的作品。
I mean, no one's gonna find this meaningless chicken scratch adorable.
meaningless:无意义的 scratch: 乱写
没人会认为这幅母鸡瘙痒图好看。
Not yours, Mia. Yours, shows real promise.
promise: 前途
不是说你Mia,你的作品很有前途。
-Susan: Jessie, you said that I could plan the lesson today,
Jessie 你说今天我能自己安排课程,
and I think this is valuable.
valuable: 有价值的
我觉得这很有价值。
I'm just trying to be creative.
try to: 设法
creative: 有创造力的
我想更有创造力。
-Jessie: Fine. But you know where I stand.
好的,不过你清楚我的立场。
-Mia: What's an "evaluation," Miss Susan?
evaluation: 评估
什么是"评古" Susan老师?
-Susan: An evaluation?
你说"评估"?
Well, that is when someone judges your work and gives you a grade on it.
就是某人评价你的作品,给你分等级。
But don't worry. I'm not doing that today.
不用担心,今天我不评估你们。
-Mia: No, they're doing it to you.
不,他们给你评估。
-Susan: Who?
谁?
-Mia: Miss Jessie and principal Hobson. I heard them talking.
Jessie老师和Hobson校长,我听到他们谈论了。
-Susan: Oh, right. That's not till later this year.
知道了,今年年底才会进行的。
-Mia: No, it's this week. I, hope you don't get fired.
get fried: 被解雇
不,这周就要进行,我希望你别被炒鱿鱼。
The lady with the purple sweater argued with Miss Jessie like you did, and she's gone.
argue: 争论
有个紫衣女士,就像你一样,也和Jessie老师辩论,最后她被炒了。
-Susan: The lady with the purple swear?
紫衣女士?
-Mia: I never heard her name. She wasn't here that long.
我没听过她的名字,她呆得不久。
She was creative, too.
她也很有创造力
-Susan: All right, everyone. Grab some clay. We're making vases.
grab: 抓取
好的,大伙,拿些黏土,我们做花瓶。
-Orson: Darling, I'm home.
亲爱的,我回来了。
Oh, and I'm famished!
famish:饥饿
饿死我了!
What are we having for dinner?
晚餐吃什么?
-Bree: How about a confession?
confession: 招供
来点"招供"怎么样?
Sit down.
坐下,
Start talking.
给我交待。
-Orson: What do you want me to say?
你想让我说什么?
-Bree: I want you to explain to me why this insanity is still going on.
insanity: 怪异的行为
我想要你解释,为何你还在举止怪异。
When you stole that tape recorder, you said it was a onetime thing, an impulsive act of revenge.
tape recorder: 录音机 impulsive: 冲动的 revenge: 报复,报仇
上次你偷录音机,你说只是一时失足,只是冲动的报复行为。
-Orson: It was, at first.
一开始,的确是,
But then...
但是之后...
I know it sounds odd, but...
我知道这听起来很怪,但是...
it started giving me a thrill.
give a thrill: 【为某人刺激】[Thrill rides use technology and special effects to give you a thrill.]
thrill: 兴奋
它开始让我兴奋。
-Bree: A thrill?
兴奋?
Stealing a ceramic duck gives you a thrill?
ceramic: 陶瓷的
偷个陶瓷鸭子能让你兴奋?
-Orson: It's hard to explain.
很难解释。
-Bree: Well, maybe you'd feel more comfortable talking to a professional.
comfortable: 舒适的 professional: 专业人士
或许,你更愿意找专业人士谈谈。
-Orson: A psychiatrist?
psychiatrist: 精神病医生
你是说精神病医生?
Good heavens. Bree, I'm not crazy.
天哪,Bree,我又没疯。
look, I'll stop.
好啦,我不会再干了。
I'll--I'll tell everyone I'm sorry and return everything.
我会向大家道歉,把东西物归原主。
-Bree: You will do no such thing.
你才不会。
From this moment on, you are forbidden from entering any of our friends' homes.
forbid: 禁止
从现在起,不许你再去街坊朋友家。
-Orson: But how are we gonna get these things back?
那怎么物归原主?
-Bree: I'll take care of it.
take care of: 照顾,处理 care: 照看
我来处理。
-Susan: I know I sprung this on you at the last minute.
我知道,邀请得挺仓促。
-Jessie: Oh, actually, I was just gonna watch a DVD and order some takeout,
takeout: 外带食物
我本来也就打算回家看碟叫外卖。
so I'm looking forward to a home-cooked meal.
look forward to:期待
所以还蛮期待家常菜的。
-Susan: Oh, well, keep looking, because I don't cook, and shanghai panda delivers.
继续期待吧因为我不会烧饭而且"上海熊猫"也送外卖。
-Jessie: Well, that'll be fine.
那也没关系。
You know, Susan, I was a little surprised to get your invitation.
invitation: 邀请
Susan,收到你的邀请,我很意外。
-Susan: Oh, well, you know, I just think that school is such a formal environment,
formal: 正式的 environment: 环境
我就是觉得在学校相处太正式了。
and I thought it would be nice if we could let loose and drink a little wine,
我们应该放轻松,喝点酒什么的。
get to know each other.
增进了解。
Oh, my gosh.
天哪
-Jessie: What?
怎么了?
-Susan: Look at you.
look at: 看
瞧瞧你。
You're like that schoolmarm in the movies
你就象电影中的热辣女教师,
who lets down her hair and va-va-va-voom.
放下头发,惹来一片尖叫。
-Jessie: I've never gotten a va-va-va-voom before. Thanks.
我可从没引起尖叫过,不过,谢谢夸奖。
You look nice, too.
你也很漂亮。
-Susan: Oh, please. I didn't even get a chance to change.
快别说了,我都没时间换衣服。
My ex was late picking up M.J., which is insane, because he lives right across the street.
前夫接M.J.来晚了,真是不象话,因为他就住在街对面。
-Jessie: Your ex lives across the street?
你前夫就住街对面?
-Susan: He decided to shack up with my best friend.
shack up: 同居,同住 shack: 和某人居住在一起
他和我最好的朋友同居了。
And people wonder why I'm through with men.
大家就在猜我为什么不招男人喜欢。
-Jessie: So what are we toasting to?
toast: 祝词
祝什么呢?
-Susan: Getting to know each other better.
祝我们起来越相互了解,
oh, napkins.
忘了拿餐巾纸了。
-Jessie: I'll drink to that.
还是祝这个(美臀)吧。
-Dave: Oh, hey, Mike. Come on in.
嘿,Mike,进来。
I went a little crazy at the camping supply store.
我在露营装备店买了太多东西。
Hey, check this out. I got Katherine her own lantern.
check out: 检验
lantern: 灯笼
瞧瞧这个,我给Katherine买了个灯。
I know she was a little worried about finding the latrine in the middle of the night.
worry about: 担心 latrine: 厕所
我知道,她担心半夜起来去厕所困难。
-Mike: Uh, actually, that's, uh, why I came by. Katherine sort of bailed.
bail: 反悔
实际上,我是来告诉你,Katherine临阵脱逃。
-Dave: Bailed? You mean she's not going camping with us?
临阵脱逃? 你是说她不和我们一起露营了?
-Mike: Ah, she's really sorry, but she's gotta get her taxes done.
她很遗憾,但她得去交税。
-Dave: So Katherine is blowing, us off for taxes.
这么说Katherine因为交税放我们鸽子。
-Mike: Also, I think she's worried she'd just be a third wheel.
wheel: 轮子
我猜,她是不愿去充数。
-Dave: What oh, come on.
什么? 拜托
I mean, this trip is as much about her as it is about us.
这次旅行,她和我们一样是主角啊。
Tell her she's gotta come.
叫她一定来。
-Mike: First of all, I don't tell Katherine to do anything.
首先,我可叫不动Katherine。
And it'll be better with just us guys.
而且,就我们哥俩不更好吗。
We can burp and scratch, to our heart's content.
burp: 饱咯儿
我们可以打嗝挠痒,想做什么做什么。
Besides, Katherine was never, part of the original plan anyway.
而且,原定计划就是不带Katherine。
-Dave: No, she wasn't.
说得没错。
-Mike: All right, I'll, uh, see you Saturday.
周六见。
-Dave: Yeah.
好。
-Jessie: You're not listening to me.
你没在听我说。
I'm not saying I'm giving up on love.
give up: 放弃
我不是说要放弃爱情,
I'm saying I've already given up.
而是已经放弃了。
-Susan: No. I-I will not let you.
不行,不准你这么做。
You are too smart and funny and adorable.
你聪明风趣又可爱
-Jessie: Am I?
真的?
It's been a long time since I've been complimented like that.
compliment: 夸奖
很长时间没人这么夸过我了。
-Susan: Well, I mean it. Anyone would be lucky to have you.
我说的是真话,能娶到你真是运气。
You are a catch.
catch: 【捕获物(量);(值得)获得的物(人);很好的结婚对象】[Her husband was a good catch. They say he's very rich.]
你是很好的结婚对象。
jeez. How did it get so late?
天哪,都这么晚了?
Is there a school policy on showing up to work drunk?
show up: 露面
学校允不允许我们醉酒上班?
-Jessie: It's frowned upon.
frown:皱眉
不允许。
I've had the best time tonight.
今晚我过得非常开心。
-Susan: Oh, me, too.
我也是。
You know, I think we should probably keep this between us.
我们应该经常这样聚聚,
We don't want people talking at work.
我不想上班时有人说闲话。
-Jessie: It'll be our little secret.
这是我们的小秘密。
So... you think you might wanna do this again sometime?
你想不想什么时候再约一次?
-Susan: It's a date.
好,约定了。
-Jessie: Va-va-va-voom!
哇哇尖叫!
-Gaby: S-so what kind of kiss are we talking about?
是个什么样的吻?
-Susan: A regular kiss on the mouth...
正常亲在嘴唇上的...
that last a little longer than I thought it would.
时间比我想象的要长些。
-Lynette: So was it a good, old-fashioned American kiss or are we talking the infinitely superior French variety?
infinitely: 无穷地 superior: 高级的
是老式的美国式接吻,还是浪漫法国式舌吻?
-Susan: Okay, I'm probably just blowing this out of proportion.
proportion: 比例
我可能有点夸张了。
I mean, she never even said anything about being gay.
她从没说过自己是同性恋。
-Lynette: Well, that doesn't make any difference.
这又没什么差别。
right, Lee?
是不是 lee?
-Lee: why ask me?
干嘛问我啊?
Aside from the occasional parade, gay men rarely interact with lesbians in the wild.
occasional: 偶尔的 parade: 游行 interact: 交往 lesbian: 女同性恋
除了偶尔一起游行外,同志和"拉拉"从不往来。
-Gaby: Susan, if you're not sure what she meant by it, why don't you just have a talk with her?
Susan,如果你不确定,干嘛不和她谈谈?
-Susan: Oh, that would be way too awkward.
那多尴尬啊
She's my boss.
她是我的上司。
-Lynette: She's your boss? Let her kiss you again, then sue her.
sue: 高某人
你的上司? 让她再吻一次,然后起诉她。
-Gaby: okay, we're gonna figure this out for you.
figure out: 算出(想出) figure: 演算,认为
好吧,我们帮你分析分析。
Were her eyes open or shut?
shut;关着的
她睁着眼还是闭着眼的?
-Susan: I don't know.
不知道。
-Gaby: Well, how many seconds did the kiss last?
接吻持续了几秒?
-Susan: I don't remember.
不记得了。
-Gaby: Oh, for god sakes. Was it this...
上帝啊,是这样...?
Or was it this...
还是这样...?
-Susan: The second one?
第二种?
-Lynette: Congratulations. You're now dating a lesbian.
恭喜,你约了位“拉拉”。
-Lee: See you at the parade.
游行时见哦
-Lynette: Hey, Gaby?
嘿,Gaby?
-Gaby: I'll see ya.
回见。
-Lynette: I wanted to ask you something. Feel free to say no.
想问你点事儿,不答应也没关系。
-Gaby: Oh, honey, I'm flattered, but I only did that to help Susan out.
help out: 帮助解决难题
flattered: 受宠若惊
亲爱的,我受宠若惊,但刚才那么做完全是帮Susan的忙。
-Lynette: Yeah, this isn't about that.
不是那个意思。
Um, I wanted to say I heard about Carlos' g promotion.
promotion: 升职
听说Carlos升职了。
congratulations.
恭喜哦。
-Gaby: Thank you.
谢谢。
I mean, it's sad how it happened, but you know, when opportunity knocks,
opportunity: 机会
以这种方式升职是有点让人伤感,但机会来的时候。
you gotta answer the door, right?
我们总得抓住,是吧?
-Lynette: Absolutely.
当然。
Now you know I'm looking for work?
你知道我在找工作吗?
-Gaby: Oh, yeah. How's that going?
是啊,找得怎么样了?
-Lynette: Not Great.
不太好
see, while I was working at Scavo's, I got seven years older, which is weird,
weird: 怪异的
我在自家餐馆当了七年老板娘,真有点奇怪,
seeing as how all the C.E.O.S got seven years younger.
总裁们的年龄却普遍下降了七岁。
The bottom line is no one wants to hire someone who could have made out with their dad on prom night.
现在更没人愿意聘请一个年纪大得,能和他们父亲在舞会上亲热的女人。
Anyway, I hear Carlos is looking for a new director of marketing.
总之,我听说Carlos在物色新的营销总监。
Think you could put in a good word for me?
你能不能帮我说说好话?
-Gaby: I don't know.
我不知道。
-Lynette: Y-you don't know?
你不知道?
-Gaby: Well, I thought you did advertising.
我还以为你是做广告的。
-Lynette: Yes, I helped advertise what companies decided to market.
是的,我策划广告,帮助公司把产品推向市场。
It's the same thing. Come, on. You know I'd be great.
没什么差别,拜托,你知道我会胜任的。
-Gaby: I guess.
可能吧。
-Lynette: You guess? Gaby...
可能? Gaby...
-Gaby: Look, Lynette, you're my friend, and I love you, but as far as knowg if you're any good at your job...
as far as: 至于
Lynette 你是我的朋友我也爱你但至于你是否胜任工作...
-Lynette: Enough with the shrugging. Come on.
shrug: 耸肩
别再耸肩了,拜托啊。
-Gaby: You're putting me in a tough spot.
tough: 困难的,艰难的
你让我进退两难。
Carlos is under a lot of pressure now, and he's not really in a position to be taking big risks.
position: 位置,地位
Carlos现在压力很大,不能冒险。
-Lynette: You think I'm a big risk?
你认为我会给他带来风险?
-Gaby: Well...
呃...
-Lynette: Okay, that's it. Four shrug. I'm out.
好了,你都耸四次肩了,不逼你了。
Thanks for your help.
谢谢你的帮助。
-Carlos: Yeah, just follow the road as it curves. We're the second house on the left.
curve: 曲线
顺着路走,我们是左手第二家。
Okay, bye.
好,拜。
oh, place looks great, babe. Thanks for doing this.
看起来不错嘛,宝贝,谢谢你。
-Gaby: It's all part of being the president's wife.
谁让我是总裁太太呢。
So tell me about your new hire.
说说你新雇的人吧。
She's gonna be your number two?
她是你的二把手?
-Carlos: Yeah, and I'm lucky to get her.
是啊能请到她真是运气。
Smart as a whip, Harvard M.B.A.
whip: 鞭子
相当聪明,哈佛大学工商管理硕士。
I've probably mentioned her before. Lucy Blackburn?
mention: 提起,提及
我以前可能和你提过,Lucy Blackburn?
Maybe I'll go put on some music.
还是来点音乐吧。
-Gaby: Lucy Blackburn?
Lucy Blackburn?
Please tell me it's a coincidence that your new V.P.has the same name as your ex-girlfriend.
coincidence: 巧合
麻烦你告诉我,这个新来的副总裁,正好和你前女友同名。
-Carlos: She isn't my girlfriend. We were roommates. We shared an apartment.
share: 分享
她不是我的女友,是室友,我们合租过房子。
-Gaby: You told me you slept with her.
你说过你们一起睡过。
-Carlos: Well, it was a small apartment.
那是个小房子嘛。
Come on. It was a casual thing, and it was a million years ago.
拜托,当时随便玩玩的,而且都是几百年前的事了。
-Gaby: I don't care!
我才不管!
Why couldn't you have told me this before, she's about to appear on my doorstep?
appear: 出现
为什么不在她来之前和我说一声?
-Carlos: I wanted to...
我想说来着...
but you were always next to something sharp.
但你总是反应很大
Gaby, I am in over my head with the new job, and I need Lucy’s help.
Gaby 我整个脑子想的都是新工作我需要Lucy的帮助
Please don't be jealous.
jealous: 嫉妒的
拜托别吃醋。
-Gaby: I'm not jealous. It's, just... you can't hire her.
我才不是吃醋只不过... 你就是不能聘用她
I'm Mrs. President, and I get a vote.
vote: 投票
作为总裁夫人我也有投票权
-Carlos: There she is. Now, please, I'm begging you...
beg: 请求
她来了,别闹,求你了。
-Gaby: Well, you can beg all you want. I am not on board with this!
on board with: 【同意,一致】[The passengers are on board with, insist that a patient to the hospital.]
你爱怎么求怎么求,我坚决不同意!
-Carlos: Hey, Lucy!
嘿,Lucy!
-Lucy: I'm Lucy. You must be Gabrielle.
我是Lucy,你一定就是Gabrielle
-Gaby: You can call me Gaby. Come on in!
叫我Gaby吧请进!
I'm on board.
我同意了
-Lucy: Got a bead on Charlie Fields for C.F.O.
已经快要说动Charlie Fields 来做财务总监了
-Carlos: Charlie Fields? There's no way you're gonna get him.
Charlie Fields?
你不可能请到他的
He's the number two guy at Brewster & parent.
Brewster & parent : 【Brewster Inc. has set the standard of excellence for traveling in Canada's West and the Canadian Rockies for over 115 years. As a leader in the Canadian tourism industry, Brewster provides an integrated system through multiple businesses allowing our customers to create outstanding travel experiences in Canada】
他是Brewster Parent公司的二把手
-Lucy: Relax. It'll take some maneuvering,, but I'll make it happen.
maneuver: 策略
别紧张,是需要花点功夫,但我搞定了。
-Carlos: How?
怎么搞定的?
-Lucy: Carlos, you're the president.
Carlos,你是总裁,
It's best you don't know where the bodies are buried.
你还是不要过问细节。
Well, speak of the devil.
devil: 恶魔 speak of the devil: 说曹操曹操到 devil: 魔鬼,恶魔
说曹操曹操到。
If you'll excuse me, I have some professional ethics that need compromising.
compromise: 让步
失陪,我得在职业道德上做点让步了。
-Gaby: Now I know why you wanted to hire her. She's a force of nature.
现在我知道你为啥要请她了,真是天赐的能干助手啊。
-Carlos: Mm, you should see her close a deal.
close a deal: 完成一项交易
你应该看看她做买卖的本领。
-Gaby: I'll bet.
那是啊。
So were you surprised when the door opened?
开门时你有没有吓一跳?
-Carlos: What do you mean?
什么意思?
-Gaby: Well, she's obviously stopped counting calories since the last time you saw her.
calories: 卡
很显然,你们上次分别后,她就不管什么体型了。
-Carlos: No, she looks about the same.
她一直是这样。
-Gaby: What?
什么?
But... you two used to have sex.
have sex: 发生性行为
但...你们之前发生过关系啊
-Carlos: Yeah. So?
是啊所以呢?
-Gaby: So don't get me wrong--, she's attractive.
attractive: 有吸引力的,吸引人的
别误会,她很有吸引力。
It's just... she's not really your type. Your type is skinny model.
skinny: 瘦弱的
只不过...她不是你喜欢的类型啊,你喜欢的是骨感模特。
-Carlos: Okay, so you're not gonna see her on a runway.
runway: T形台
好吧,她上不了T形台。
-Gaby: Except maybe at an airport.
除非是上飞机跑道。
-Carlos: Gaby!
Gaby!
You think I'm that shallow that all I go by is looks?
shallow: 肤浅的
你以为我就那么肤浅,只重视外表?
-Gaby: Yeah, I thought that was something we had in common.
是啊,我们不都一样吗?
-Carlos: Look,Lucy isbrilliant and witty and has more confidence than anybody I've ever met.
brilliant: 聪明的 witty:机智的 confidence: 信心
Lucy聪明机智,比我见过的任何人都更有自信。
That type of personality can be very seductive.
personality: 个性 seductive: 有诱惑力的
这种个性非常有诱惑力。
-Lucy: Someone light me a cigar.
谁来给我点枝烟啊。
-Carlos: You got him?
搞定了?
-Lucy: I find poaching is easier when you lead with, "we'll double your salary."
poach:(侵入他人地界)偷猎【挖人】[A rival firm poached our best computer programmers]
我发现只要告诉他“给你双倍工资”挖人还是蛮容易的。
sizzle me.
sizzle: 奖励
来,奖励一下。
ah, there it is that thrill you get from taking something that not yours.
能搞到不属于自己的东西真是爽啊
-Gaby: Hey,are you still looking for a marketing director?
嘿,你还在找营销总监吗?
I have a friend that I would love to see working with you two.
我有个朋友会很高兴能与你们两共事。
-Tom: No problem,Bree.
没问题,Bree。
We by aspirin by the pound in this house.
aspirin: 阿司匹林 pound: 磅
我家有很多阿斯匹林。
I'll get you some.
我去给你拿一些。
-Bree:Ah, you’re a lifesaver!
太好了,你救了我!
-Katherine: Yes, we have lots of screwdrivers.
screwdriver: 螺丝起子
是的,我们有很多螺丝起子。
What kind do you need?
你需要哪一种?
Phillips head?
十字槽螺丝帽?
-Bree: Yes, that would be lovely.
好,那太好了。
-Susan: I don't have cumin but, I probably have cinnamon.
cumin: 时萝,小茴香子 cinnamon:肉桂
我没有时萝,但我可能有肉桂。
-Bree: Close enough.
也行啊。
-Gaby: Yeah,no problem.
好,没问题。
Two eggs coming right up.
马上给你拿两个鸡蛋。
Wait.
等等。
I made omelets this morning, so I'm all out.
omelet: 煎蛋饼
早上我做了煎蛋饼,所以用完了。
-Bree: Oh, that’s all right, I'll just go to the store.
没关系,我去商店买。
-Gaby: Where did that come from?
那是从哪来的?
-Bree: I don't know, but it's awfully cute.
awful: 十分的
我不知道,但这个好可爱啊。
-Gaby: Unbelievable.
让人不可置信。
Juanita, get your but down here.
Juanita,给我滚下来。
-Bree: Why are you, uh, calling Juanita?
你叫Juanita干嘛?
-Gaby: To find out what McCluskey's sleeping Mexican is doing in my house.
Mexican: 墨西哥人的
想知道我家怎么会有McCluskey太太的瞌睡的墨西哥人雕塑。
-Bree: That's not yours?
这不是你的?
-Gaby: No. Why would you think that?
不是,你怎么会这么想?
-Bree: Uh, I don't know.
我不知道。
But, you know, there it is.
但是在那柜子上啊。
-Gaby: It's been sitting on McCluskey's porch for years.
porch: 门廊
这儿一直都在McCluskey的门廊上。
I keep telling her how racist it is.
racist: 种族歧视者
我一直告诉她这东西很种族歧视。
First the candy bowl and now this?
先是偷了糖碗,然后又是这个?
How many times have I told you not to steal?
我告诉你多少次了不要偷东西?
-Juanita: I didn't take that.
这不是我偷的。
-Gaby: Juanita, you play with it every time we go by Mrs. McCluskey's.
每次去McCluskey那里你都拿来玩。
Now either tell me the truth, or I'm gonna cancel your birthday party.
你要是不告诉我怎么回事,我就取消你的生日派对。
-Juanita: I am telling you the truth!
我说的是实话。
-Gaby: That's it.
好了。
Party's over!
派对取消了!
-Bree: Gaby!
Gaby!
Aren't you being a little harsh? I mean, perhaps she didn't take it.
你是不是太过严厉了? 也许真的不是她偷的。
-Gaby: Well, then how else did it get here?
那这个东西怎么会在这里?
-Juanita: Maybe she did it.
也许她干的。
-Bree: Juanita!
Juanita!
Whenever my children stole, I sent them to bed without any supper.
我的小孩偷东西的话我就不让他们吃晚饭直接睡觉
Just a thought.
你考虑一下
Orson?
Orson?
Orson!
Orson!
Orson! Orson!
Orson! Orson!
Orson!
Orson!
No!
不!
-Orson: Hi, Bree!
你好啊 Bree!
-Bree: What were you doing at Bob and Lee's?
你在Bob和Lee家做什么?
-Orson: Well, they invited me over for coffee.
他们请我去喝咖啡。
-Bree: After I told you to stay out of the neighbors' houses?
我叫你不要去邻居家你还去?
you stole again, didn’t you?
你又偷东西了,是不是?
-Orson: No. No, I didn't.
不,不,我没有。
-Bree: What are you hiding behind your back?
你把什么东西藏在后面?
-Orson: Nothing.
没什么。
It's mine.
这是我的。
-Bree: You're telling me you own a mug with a picture of Bernadette Peters in "Gypsy"?
mug: 马克杯
你的杯子上有柏娜黛特.彼得丝在<吉普赛人>的剧照?
-Mr. Vivinetto: This is quite a resume you got here.
resume: 简历
你的简历真的不错啊.
Northwestern, huh?
西北大学,嗯?
-Lynette: Yep.
是的。
Thank you.
谢谢你。
-Mr. Vivinetto So, Lynette...
那么,Lynette...
How old are you?
你几岁了?
-Lynette: Mr. Vivinetto, I'm not obligated to answer. It's the law.
obligate: 负义务,强制
Vivinetto先生,法律规定我可以不回答这个问题。
-Mr. Vivinetto: Right, right. I was only asking because I-I also went to northwestern,
没错,只是我也西北大学毕业的,所以才问。
and I thought maybe we crossed paths there.
也许我们在那见过。
-Mr. Vivinetto: What--what year did you graduate?
graduate: 毕业
你哪一年毕业的?
-Lynette: well, if I was dumb enough to answer that, I never would've gott into northwestern.
dumb: 无言的,哑的【愚笨的】[Paul is marrying a dumb Dora today.]
如果我笨到回答这个问题,那我也不可能进西北大学了。
-Mr. Vivinetto: I-I understand, but, uh, I’m gonna be honest here.
我明白,我实话实说了吧。
We have certain accounts that cater to a specific demographic.
cater to: 迎合需要 specific: 特指的 demographic: 人口统计学
我们有些人口统计学上特指的项目。
-Lynette: Okay, I’m gonna stop you.
好吧,不要说了。
What is this obsession with age?
obsession: 成见(顽固的观念)
为什么对年龄这么在意?
I am a vital woman with passion and a library of knowledge when it comes to this industry.
vital: 精力充沛的 passion: 激情
我是一个激情有活力的妇女,对这个行业也非常了解,
Why doesn't that count for something?
这些都不算什么吗?
-Mr. Vivinetto: What I'm saying is we just landed the Cosgrove's revitalizing serum account.
revitalize: 使复活,使重新充满活力 serum: 血清,乳浆 account: 项目
我想说的是,我们刚刚拿到了Cosgrove再生液的项目。
It's an ant wrinkle cream, and I need someone more mature who can identify with the—
ant wrinkle: 抗皱纹 wrinkle: 皱纹 mature: 成熟的 identify:保证
这是个对抗皱纹的面霜,我需要足够年长的人来保证--
-Lynette: I'm 54.
我54岁了。
He didn't even flinch.
flinch: 畏缩,退缩
他一点都不感到惊讶。
I said I was 54, and he bought it.
我说我54岁了,他完全相信。
There was not a "wow, you, look great for your age!"
甚至都没说"天哪你看起来好年轻"。
Not even a courtesy gasp.
courtesy: 客气
连句客气话都没有。
-Tom: Look, you got the job.
你获得了这个工作。
You're making $80,000 a year.
你每年可以挣8万。
What--what, does it matter?
那个有什么关系呢?
-Lynette: It matters because I'm only, 43, and I look like I'm 39.
因为我才43岁,我看起来才39岁。
-Tom: You're 43?
你43岁了?
But I'm-- I'm 2 years younger than you, and I—
但我比你小2年,我--
-Lynette: Nobody cares how old you are, tom.
没人在乎你多大了,Tom。
-Gaby: Great news! You got the job!
好消息! 你被录用了!
-Lynette: Yeah!
好啊!
-Gaby: How'd you hear about it?
你怎么知道的?
-Lynette: Hear about it? Honey, I did it.
听说? 亲爱的,我做到的。
-Gaby: I talked to Carlos. You're in.
我和Carlos说过了,这事就成了。
-Lynette: That job.
那个工作。
I don't know what to say.
我不知道怎么说。
-Gaby: Say,” how do I thank you, greatest friend in the world? What's your birthstone?"
birthstone: 生日石
你可以说"我要怎么感谢你呢,恩人?你的诞生石是什么?这么好心。"
-Lynette: well, thank you, greatest friend, but I just accepted another job.
谢谢你,好朋友,但我刚刚接受了另外一份工作。
-Gaby: Well, un-accept it.
推掉他。
You have to take this job.
我必须做这个工作。
It's essential that you be there.
essential: 必要的,重要的
你要在那里,这很重要。
-Lynette: Why?
为什么?
-Gaby: Because it's a great opportunity.
opportunity: 机会
因为这是一个很好的机会。
-Lynette: I'm confused.
confused: 糊涂的
我被弄糊涂了。
Before, you didn't even want to talk to him.
之前你都不想和他说。
You weren't even sure I was good.
你还觉得我不能胜任。
-Gaby: Yeah. Yes, and then I went home and ought, what a horrible thing to say
horrible: 可怕的
是的,但我回家之后转念一想,我怎么能那样说话呀。
to such a dear, dear friend who's probably really, really good at her job.
尤其对这样一个亲爱的朋友,没准她真的会做得很出色呢。
So...
所以...
I said, "Carlos, you, have to hire Lynette."
我说 Carlos 你一定要聘用Lynette。
-Lynette: I...don't know.
我...不知道。
Well, he’d have to match my current offer.
match: 使...相配 current: 现在的
那好,他必须开出同等的条件我才答应。
-Gaby: Yeah, okay. What are they paying?
是,好的,他们给你多少钱?
-Lynette: $100,000 a year.
一年十万。
-Gaby: I don't think that'll be a problem.
应该没问题的。
By the way, you’re gonna be reporting to this woman Lucy.
顺便说一下,你要向Lucy报告。
She's a real star, so you're gonna wanna keep an eye on her.
她很能干,所以你要看着她一点。
-Jessie: Decaf soy latte--, your favorite.
decaf: 低咖啡因的 soy: 大豆 favorite: 最爱的
无咖啡因的大豆拿铁咖啡-- 你最喜欢的。
-Susan: Thanks.
谢谢你。
I was thinking about the other night...
我在想那一天...
-Jessie: mm, me, too.
我也是。
Maybe Friday you could come over to my place, we would hang out or...
也许星期五你可以来我家我们可以一起玩或者...
-Susan: you know, I-I think you may have gotten the wrong impression.
impression: 印象
我觉得你可能有点弄错了。
I'm not...into women.
我对女人没有兴趣。
-Jessie: Nice boots.
靴子(拉拉的信号)很好看。
-Susan: I thought it was gonna rain.
我以为会下雨。
Okay, um...I'm not gay.
好吧呃... 我不是同性恋。
-Jessie: Mm-hmm, then what was all that stuff about the night?
那么那天晚上是什么意思?
The--the, touching my knee?
摸我的膝盖?
The "oh, you look so sexy"?
哦你看起来真性感?
The good night kiss
晚安的吻。
-Susan: Ah, well, that kiss was all you.
哦那是你亲我的。
-Jessie: Oh, it was?
哦是吗?
I seem to remember you being there and not pulling away.
我记得你站在那里,没有后退。
-Susan: Well, that’s because—
那是因为--
-Jessie: Why didn't you say something then?
你干嘛不拒绝呢?
-Susan: Because I…
因为我…
-Jessie: Because you're tired of living a lie.
因为你不想再欺骗你自己了。
-Susan: What?
什么?
-Jessie: I was you 20 years ago, Susan.
你就像20年前的我 Susan。
You're obviously worried there's a lesbian inside of you trying to get out.
obviously: 明显的
你一直在担心你内心的同性恋蠢蠢欲动
-Susan: Actually, I'm more worried about the lesbian that's outside of me trying to get in.
事实上,我更担心的是,我外面的同性恋想要进来。
Um, can we just teach the class and talk about this later?
我们先上课一会再谈好吗?
-Jessie: Fine.
好
-Dave: Shouldn't you be doing your taxes?
你是不是应该交税?
-Katherine: God, Dave! you scared me.
scare: 惊吓
Dave! 你吓了我一跳。
-Dave: Oh, sorry about that.
哦抱歉。
What's this I hear about, you not going camping?
你为什么不去露营呢?
-Katherine: Oh, well, it is that time of year, and I have all these receipts to go through.
receipt: 收据 go through: 【完成,处理】[You can go through your master degree in one year and on your way home.]
只是现在这个时候不适合去,还有我有很多收据要处理。
-Dave: I gotta say, I'm mighty disappointed.
mighty: 非常的 disappointed: 失望的
我要说的是,我非常失望。
-Katherine: Please.
拜托,
I'm sure you're relieved there won't be a girl tagging along to spoil all your macho fun.
relieved: 松了口气 tag: 尾随 spoil:毁坏
我觉得你应该感到高兴,没有女的在那边,打扰你们做男人的事。
-Dave: Well, see, now that's where you're wrong.
你错了
I mostly saw this trip as a chance to get to know you better.
chance: 机会
我主要觉得通过这次旅行,我可以更好的了解你。
-Katherine: Me?
我?
Why?
为什么?
-Dave: Katherine, the truth is, I don't have a lot of friends.
Katherine 事实是,我并没有很多朋友。
Maybe that's why Mike's become so important to me.
所以Mike才对我这么重要。
And ever since you came into his life, well, I can see the change.
自从你进入他的生活后,发生了很多变化。
He's so much happier, so much more relaxed.
relaxed: 放松的
他变得很快乐,很轻松。
You've given him this sort of inner peace.
你给了他内心的平静。
I just thought it would be cool to become buddies with the woman who did that for my friend.
我觉得和你成为朋友会很好,因为你为我的朋友做了这么多。
-Katherine: Well, when you put it that way...
好吧既然你都这么说了...
-Dave: So you'll go camping with us?
你打算和我们一起去露营?
-Katherine: I'll go start packing my fleece.
fleece: 羊毛衫
我去打包我的羊毛衫。
-Dave: Fantastic.
太好了。
-Katherine: Dave?
Dave?
Do you really think I've made that much of a difference in Mike's life?
你真的认为我在Mike生活中那么重要吗?
-Dave: Oh, absolutely.
当然
If he ever lost you...
如果他失去了你...
it would destroy him.
destroy: 毁灭
绝对会毁了他。
-Susan: Okay, class, let's see how our animals of Africa drawings are going.
Africa: 非洲
好,让我们看看非洲动物画得怎么样了。
Oh, Emma, this is beautiful.
Emma 很漂亮,
Emma drew a gazelle.
gazelle;瞪羚羊
Emma画了瞪羚,
Isn't she pretty?
是不是很漂亮?
Zachary, is that a rhinoceros?
rhinoceros: 犀牛
Zachary 你画的是犀牛吗?
He looks so big and strong.
他看起来又大又强壮,
I love rhinos.
我喜欢犀牛。
-Jessie: Do you, Susan?
是吗 Susan?
Do you really?
真的吗?
-Susan: Excuse me?
抱歉?
-Jessie: I'm just saying if you were on safari and you saw a sleek gazelle next to a grunting sweaty rhino...
safari: 旅行 sleek: 光滑的 grunt: 发哼声
我只是说,要是你在旅行途中在一只浑身湿透直哼哼的犀牛身边,有一只健康漂亮的瞪羚...
your eye wouldn't go straight to the gazelle?
你的目光不会被瞪羚所吸引吗?
-Susan: Though I would definitely appreciate the...beauty of the gazelle,
appreciate: 欣赏
我当然欣赏... 瞪羚的美丽,
Uh, if I was going to take a trip to Africa... Iwould be more excited to see the rhinos.
可要是我有机会去非洲的话... 我会更愿意看到犀牛。
-Jeffrey:I like rhinos, too.
我也喜欢犀牛。
-Jessie: Yes, we know, Jeffrey.
是啊,我们知道,Jeffrey。
everyone has all seen you playing hopscotch at recess.
hopscotch: “跳房子”游戏 recess: 休息
大家都见识过,你休息的时候跳房子的表现。
Are you gonna tell me that you've never had any experience with gazelles?
你是说你对瞪羚一点都不了解吗?
Not even in college?
大学的时候也没接触过?
-Susan: No.
没有。
And...As on the softball team.
softball: 垒球
那时候... 我在垒球队。
-Jessie: Look, Susan, why don't you just say it?
瞧 Susan 你干嘛不直说呢?
This particular gazelle isn't young enough for you, and you don't want to hurt my feelings.
某只瞪羚对于你来说太老了你不想伤害我的感情。
-Susan: That is not true, and I think we are dangerously close to no longer speaking in metaphor.
metaphor: 比喻
不是这样,我觉得我们就要,没法再用隐语说下去了。
-Jessie: Well, then why were you so interested in me in the first place?
那你一开始为什么对我那么感兴趣?
Why did you ask me to your house?
你为什么要请我去你家?
-Susan: Because I wanted you to give me a good evaluation.
evaluation: 评估
因为我想让你给我好评。
-Jessie: I see.
我明白了。
-Mia: It was nice knowing you, Miss Susan.
再见了,认识你真好Susan小姐.
-Lynette: The problem--how to attract high, net worth clients in a down economy.
attract: 吸引
问题-- 如何在经济不景气的环境下吸引高级净资产客户
The solution?
solution: 解决方法
解决之道?
Be creative.
要有创造力。
Christie's is hosting its first ever sea auction on a yacht in St.Barths.
auction: 拍卖会 yacht: 游艇
克利斯蒂拍卖行正在圣巴特岛的游艇上举行有史以来第一次"海上拍卖会",
I see a boat full of millionaires waiting to be wooed.
woo: 追求
我看见一整船的富翁正等着我们去钓呢。
-Lucy: This is not a bad idea.
这主意不坏嘛。
Besides, I haven't been to St.Barths since you took me there to celebrate my first promotion.
celebrate: 庆祝
而且,自从你带我去圣巴特庆祝我的第一次升职之后我就再没去过了。
-Carlos: That was a fun weekend.
那个周末挺带劲的。
-Lucy: Yeah.
是啊。
-Carlos: Let's do it.
就这么定了。
Yep.
好啊。
I gotta take this. I'll be right back.
我接个电话,马上回来。
-Lynette: Okay.
可以。
Okay.
可以。
Not to pry, but when you said Carlos took you to St.Barths...
pry: 打听,窥探
恕我冒昧你说Carlos带你去圣巴特...
-Lucy: oh, yeah, we lived together for a while.
哦,是啊,我们以前曾经在一起过.
-Lynette: Gaby didn't mention that.
Gaby没提过这事嘛.
-Lucy: See, that is what I love about her.
瞧这就是我喜欢她的原因,
Most women would freak out if their husband hired an ex-girlfriend
要是自己的丈夫雇佣了前女友而且还是两人独自一起工作,
and they were working together.
多数女人都会发疯的,
But she's got the confidence to just be cool with it.
可她却很有自信对此全没所谓。
-Lynette: Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah, that Gaby's a real class act.
是啊 Gaby这家伙可真会装啊。
-Susan: Jessie, I-I am so sorry.
Jessie 我- 我很抱歉。
-Jessie: Why?
为什么?
You were just being honest.
你只是说了实话
-Susan: Still,uh...
不过呃...
-Jessie: I never meant to lead you on.
我从没想过要左右你的想法,
Well, I was planning on giving you a good evaluation anyway, so...
不过,我本来就是准备给你好评的,所以...
everything's fine.
没关系了。
-Susan: Look,I need this job.
我需要这份工作。
But even if I didn't, I would still like you as a person.
就算我得不到它,我个人还是很喜欢你的。
-Jessie: Please, stop.
拜托,别说了。
I don't need your pity.
我不需要你的同情。
-Susan: You know, I don't get why people say that.
我不明白人们为什么要这么说。
I-I love pity.
我喜欢同情。
pity means someone is trying to understand what you're going through,
同情表示有人试图了解你所经历的不幸。
that they sympathize, and I do.
sympathize: 同情
然后感同身受,我就是这样。
-Jessie: Susan...
Susan...
I'm someone who never went out and looked for love.
我是个从来不会主动出击寻求爱情的人,
I assumed it would find me.
assume: 猜想
我等待爱情来敲我的门,
But it didn't.
可它没有。
And now I'm making a fool of myself...
现在我是自己欺骗了自己...
throwing myself at straight women,
跟直女们混在一起
because I'm so afraid of being alone.
因为我那么害怕孤独。
Now how can you possibly understand that?
你怎么可能会理解这些呢?
-Susan: Well, here’s how. Um,I...
嗯就这样啊我...
I've spent my whole life putting myself out there,
我这辈子都是主动出击,
and, um, I'm still...today, alone.
可是,我直到...今天还是单身。
Just like you.
跟你一样。
-Jessie: It's not the same.
不一样。
-Susan: Well, okay, it's not, because I'm alone, but I'm not lonely because I have friends.
好吧,是不一样,因为我虽然是一个人,但并不孤独,因为我有朋友。
Love doesn't happen for everyone.
并非人人都能邂逅爱情。
You know what?
你知道吗?
I don't even know if it's gonna happen for me anymore.
我都不知道我是否还有这个福气。
But my friends are there for me, no matter what, and that helps.
可我还有朋友的支持,不管怎样,这就好多了。
So at the very least, you, know, let me be there for you...
所以,至少也让我给你支持...
as a friend.
作为朋友。
-Jessie: That'd be nice.
那好啊。
Do your friends hug?
你跟朋友们拥抱吗?
What's that in the garbage can?
garbage: 垃圾
垃圾桶里是什么啊?
-Susan: My boots.
我的靴子。
-Lynette: What are you doing here?
你怎么来了?
-Gaby: I just wanted to see how your first day went.
我过来看看你的第一天过得如何。
Sit. Take a load off.
坐啊放松一下。
Spill it.
说说嘛
-Lynette: Gh,that is so thoughtful of you.
thoughtful: 周到的
哦,你想得真周到。
You're such a good friend.
你真是个好朋友。
-Gaby: Oh,well,you know me.
哦,你了解我的。
-Lynette: Ye,I do.
是啊,当然。
-Gaby: So did you get a good office?
办公室不错吧?
Were the people nice?
同事和善吗?
Oh,what about Lucy? Do you like her?
哦 Lucy怎么样? 你喜欢她吗?
-Lynette: Actually...I am kinda tired.
其实... 我有点累了
I think I'm going to head inside.
我想我得先进去
-Gaby: Ooh! What's going on?
哦! 怎么回事啊?
I mentioned Lucy, and you get all weird.
我一提到Lucy你就怪怪的,
Is something going on, with her...and Carlos?
是她出啥事了吗... 跟Carlos?
-Lynette: What? No.
什么? 没有。
I'm sure she's just affectionate.
affectionate: 充满情爱的
我只是觉得她很温柔。
-Gaby: What do you mean by affectionate?
你说的"温柔"是指什么?
-Lynette: Well, it’s probably nothing.
哦,没什么。
But when Carlos works on his computer at home, does he take his shirt off there,too?
不过,Carlos在家用电脑工作时,也会把衬衣脱掉吗?
-Gaby: That son of a--, I'm gonna kill him!
婊子养-- 我要杀了他!
-Lynette: No, you won't get the chance, because I'm gonna kill you first.
不,你不会有机会的,因为我要先杀了你。
The houselights are up, Gaby.
houselight: 观众席灯光
真相大白了,Gaby。
You can drop the act.
你就别装了。
You only helped me get this job because you needed a spy.
spy: 间谍
你帮我得到这份工作,是因为你想找个间谍。
-Gaby: How dare you!
你怎么这么说!
And, yes, I did!
是的,我就是这么想的!
-Lynette: Gaby!
Gaby!
-Gaby: You needed a job. I did you a favor.
你需要工作,我帮了你的忙。
And then I brought you hot cocoa.
我还给你带了热可可。
Why don't you ever thank me?
你怎么不谢谢我呢?
-Lynette: Because you used me!
因为你利用了我!
At least when I asked you for a favor, I was up-front.
至少我求你帮忙的时候我的目的是单纯的
-Gaby: Oh,were you, miss "they offered me $100,000 a year"?
哦是吗? "年薪10万"小姐?
-Lynette: Oh,you found out about that?
哦这你都知道了?
-Gaby: Honey, I've played poker with you for the past nine years.
亲爱的,我们一起玩扑克都玩了9年了,
I think I can tell when you're bluffing.
bluff: 吹牛
我想你吹牛的时候我看得出来。
-Lynette: Okay, it’s true.
好吧,没错。
I used you to get more money, but you used me first.
我利用你来获得更高的薪水,不过是你利用我在先。
-Gaby: Fine. We're a couple of users.
好吧我们半斤对八两。
the big question is, are we still friends?
问题是我们还算是朋友吗?
-Lynette: Do I sll get my salary?
salary: 薪水
我的薪水不会少吧?
-Gaby: Will you still be my spy?
你还会替我当间谍吗?
-Edie: Dave, I’m curious about something.
curious: 好奇
Dave,有件事情我很好奇。
-Dave: What about?
什么事情?
-Edie: Well, how do you feel about kids?
你对孩子有什么看法?
-Dave: Kids?
孩子?
-Edie: Yeah.
是啊。
Haven't you ever wanted one?
你想过要孩子吗?
-Dave: Is this your coy way of, telling me you want a child?
你这是在暗示我你想要个孩子吗?
-Edie: Maybe.
可能吧。
I hardly get to see Travers anymore, now that he's off at prep school.
Travers去了私立预科学校读书,我都见不到他了。
And I always wanted a girl.
我一直想要个女儿
Doesn't that sound like heaven?
听起来不是很美吗?
A beautiful little, girl with blonde curls.
blonde: 金发的 curl:卷曲,卷发
一个有着金色卷发的小美女。
-Dave: I had this...friend, who had a little girl.
我有个... 朋友他有个小女儿,
From the moment she was born, she was his whole life.
自她出生起她就是他生命的一切,
Unfortunately, she was in an accident.
unfortunately: 不幸的是 accident: 意外
不幸的是她碰到上一场意外,
and died.
死了。
He told me that when that happened, a part of him died, too.
他说,在那之后他生命的一部分也死去了。
He spent the rest of his life in a kind of...daze,
daze: 使...茫然
他生活从此成了一片... 恍惚
always...wondering exactly how old she would've been,
总是... 在想她应该多大了,
what she would've looked like.
她应该是个什么样子。
No.
不,
I don't think I'd want a child.
我不想要孩子,
It's just not worth it.
没必要。
-Dave: You okay, babe?
你还好吗宝贝?
-Edie: yeah.
还好。
I...I'm just sad for your friend.
我... 我只是替你的朋友感到难过。
-Dave: Yeah.
是啊。
-Bree: I had hoped that this compulsion to steal was something we could solve privately,
compulsion: 强迫,强制 solve: 解决 privately: 私下地
我本来希望偷窃欲这种事可以私下解决,
but Orson seems unable-- or, unwilling-- to control himself.
可Orson好像无法-- 或者说不愿意-- 控制他自己。
-Doctor: Is that true, Orson? Are you unable to control yourself?
是真的吗? Orson? 你真的无法控制自己吗?
-Bree: You'll see when he leaves, and your lamp is missing.
你等着瞧吧,他走的时候,你的灯就不见了。
-Doctor: So...how do you want to proceed?
proceed: 进行
那么... 你们准备怎么办?
Would you like to begin with some couples counseling?
counsel: 咨询
你们愿意接受夫妻咨询吗?
-Bree: This isn't my problem, Dr. Bernstein.
这跟我没关系 Bernstein医生。
He's the sick one.
有问题的是他。
Fix him.
搞定他。
-Orson: you know why she's so angry?
你知道她为什么这么生气吗?
Because this is something she can't control, and I love it.
因为这事她无法控制,而我喜欢。
-Dave: Now there's no phone in the cabin, but if it's an emergency, you can reach me on my cell.
emergency: 紧急的事情
木屋里没有电话,不过,要是有紧急状况你就打我手机。
-Edie: You just be careful out there.
你在外面要自己小心。
I don't know what I'd do without you.
没有你我真不知道该怎么办。
-Someone: Here's the article that lady was looking for.
这是那位女士要找的文章
-Someone: You want me to fax it?
要我传真给她吗?
-Someone: Ah,take your time.
啊不着急。
-Someone: She's a in in the ass.
她可是个大麻烦
-Someone: She's pretty hot, though.
不过也挺性感的哦
-Someone: How does that help me?
那跟我有什么关系?
-Someone: She can wait until tomorrow.
她可以等到明天再说。
-Mary Alice: You can find them almost anywhere--, friendly people with hidden agendas—
你随处都可以见到,心怀不轨,面目和善的人--
the woman who uses her neighbor to get herself a job...
neighbor: 邻居
利用邻居找工作的女人...
the wife who uses her influence to hire a friendly spy...
influence: 影响力
利用关系找朋友做"间谍"的妻子...
the husband who uses his charm to steal from his friends...
charm: 魅力
利用自己的魅力偷窃朋友财物的丈夫...
and you can be sure the friendliest people of all have agendas that won't ever be discovered...
discover: 发现
你可以肯定就算是最友好的人也一定有不可告人的目的...
not until...it's too late.,
直到... 纸包不住火。
词汇解析:Serena Lee 校对:Cici



评 论


