看绝望的主妇学英语 Desperate Housewives 第五季 5集:Mirror, Mirror
Previously on Desperate Housewives
前情提要..
-Bree: My name is Bree, and I am an alcoholic.
alcoholic: 酒鬼
我叫Bree,我酗酒。
-Mary Alice: Bree put her problem behind her.
put behind: 放在后面,忘却
Bree让她的问题成为了过去。
-Orson: There is at least one employer, who would love to hire me.
employer: 雇主,老板 hire: 雇用
起码有一个人会雇用我。
-Bree: Who?
谁?
-Mary Alice: Orson asked for a job.
ask for: 请求,要求
Orson申请一份工作。
-Orson: You.
你。
-Mary Alice: Dave lost his temper.
lose one’s temper: 发怒,发脾气
Dave发了飚。
-Dave: Damn it, Edie! I said no!
damn it:【俚语】该死;可恶
该死,Edie 我说过不行!
-Mary Alice: And aroused the suspicion... Of his neighbor.
arouse: 唤醒;引起 suspicion: 怀疑
让邻居察觉了他的可疑...
-Mrs. Mccluskey: This guy is up to something.
be up to sth : 策划;打算
这家伙肯定有企图的。
-Edie: It was all Karen Miccluskey's fault. She kept asking me all this stuff about your background.
stuff: 东西 background: 背景
都是Karen Mccluskey的错,她一直向我询问你的背景。
-Dave: She reminds me of my grandmother, when we first started to notice.The dementia, that is.
dementia: 痴呆
她的表现和我的祖母得病时一样--痴呆症。
-Edie: You think Karen’s going senile?
senile: 高龄的;老衰的
你觉得Karen老年痴呆?
-Mary Alice: It would have been such a lovely evening.
would have: 应该 lovely:【口语】令人愉快的,美好的
这本应该是一个温馨美好的夜晚。
You see, the idea was to have a surprise birthday party.
idea: 想法,主意 surprise: 令人惊奇的
你看,这本来是要举行个惊喜的生日派对的。
People would bring food and gifts.
gift: 礼物
人们送上食物和礼物。
And wait in the dark for the guest of honor to arrive.
wait for: 等待,等候 in the dark: 在黑暗中 guest of honor: 主宾 arrive: 到来
在黑暗中等待着派对主角的光临。
But it turned out to be a night full of surprises.
turn out: 证明,结果是 full of: 充满...的
结果...这一晚的惊喜接二连三。
The kind most people don’t care for.
kind: 种类 care for: 希望,想要
出乎人们的意料之外。
-Tom: Damn it, Lynette. Why do you have to be such a buzz kill?
buzz kill【杀人的声音,形容声音难听,令人扫兴buzz: (蚊、蜂等的)嗡嗡声,蜂音】
天啊,Lynette为什么你每次都这么扫兴?
Why can't you, just once, give me a little support?
once: 一次 support: 支持
为什么不能支持我一次?
-Lynette: Fine. I'll get you a towel.
towel: 毛巾
好吧,我去给你拿条毛巾
-Tom: For what?
拿毛巾干什么?
-Jackson: If I was with another woman, that wouldn't bother you?
bother: 烦扰
我和别的女人在一起,你也不介意吗?
-Susan: No, it wouldn't.
我不介意。
-Carlos: I'm sorry that I lied, and for what it's worth, the guilt has been tearing me apart.
for what it's worth : 不论真伪,不关三七二十一 guilt: 内疚,良心自责 tear apart: 使激动;使心烦意乱
对不起我撒谎了,但无论如何,负罪感让我也很难受
-Gabrielle: Get your hands off me, you selfish son of a bitch!
get off: (从...)下来 selfish: 自私的 son of a bitch: 坏蛋;狗娘养的
别碰我,你个自私的混蛋!
-Bree: Orson, please. You're putting me in an impossible position.
put sb in a position:把某人至于某种境地
Orson 你这样让我很为难。
-Orson: Then let me make it simpler for you. I want a divorce.
divorce: 离婚
那我帮你解脱吧。我们离婚。
-Mary Alice: Oh, yes. It would have been such a lively evening.
是啊,这原本会是个温馨美好的夜晚。
But this was one party that was over...Before it even began.
但这个派对早在开始之前就已经结束了。
-All: surprise!
惊喜!
-Mrs. Mccluskey: You think you can screw with me?
screw:【俚语】诈骗;骗去
你以为你能耍的了我?
-Mary Alice: Moments before she was to leave for the party.
moment: 时候,时刻 leave for: 动身
在动身去参加派对之前,
Gabrielle Solis was at her mirror,
mirror: 镜子
Gabrielle Solis正在对镜理红妆。
Halfheartedly putting the final touches on her lips.
halfheartedly: 兴趣不大的,不积极的 final: 最后的 touch: 润色 lip: 嘴唇
草草将唇膏涂在唇上。
You see, a problem had come to her attention...
come to one’s attention: 引起...的注意
有件事引起了她的注意...
-Gabrielle: Damn.
该死。
-Mary Alice: One she couldn’t gloss over.
gloss over: 掩盖,粉饰 gloss: 掩盖,掩饰(错误等)
一个她无法敷衍了事的麻烦。
-Juanita: Mommy, what are you doing?
妈妈,你在干什么?
-Gabrielle: Uh, well, mommy has a friend who visits her every month, and she's late, and that's bad.
呃...妈妈的一个朋友每个月都会来访,但她迟到了,这很糟糕。
-Juanita: Why?
为什么?
-Gabrielle: Because she's the one who assures me that you won't get a baby brother or sister.
assure: 保证;确保
因为她能确保你不会有弟弟或者妹妹。
-Juanita: But I want a little brother.
但我想要个弟弟。
-Gabrielle: I don't care.
我才不管。
Oh, sorry. It's just...
对不起,只是...
mommy really misses her friend, and mommy's gonna be really sad if her friend doesn't show up soon.
really: 真的 sad: 伤心的 gonna:<美俚>= going to show up: 露面
老妈很想她,如果她不尽快来的话,我会很沮丧。
Now go downstairs and play. Mommy has some praying to do.
go downstairs: 下楼 praying: 祷告
去楼下玩吧,妈妈要祈祷了。
-Doctor: Well, I have your test results. Congratulations. You're pregnant. Mrs. Solis.
test result: 试验结果 congratulation: 庆贺 pregnant: 怀孕的
你的检验结果出来了。恭喜你,你怀孕。Solis太太
-Gabrielle: I don't care. You told me this couldn't happen. You said it was impossible!
impossible: 不可能的
我不管,你告诉过我这不会发生。你说过我不可能怀上孩子
-Doctor: The human reproductive system is complicated and often unpredictable.
reproductive: 生殖的 system: 系统 complicated: 复杂的 unpredictable: 不可预知的
人类的生殖系统非常复杂,并且难以预料。
Sometimes miracles happen.
miracle: 奇迹
有时是会有奇迹的。
-Gabrielle: This isn't a miracle. This is a disaster.
disaster: 灾难,大不幸
这才不是奇迹。这是个灾难。
My husband's blind. Neither one of us have jobs.
blind: 瞎的 neither: 两者皆不
我丈夫瞎了,而且我们都没有工作。
My husband's blind.
我丈夫还瞎了。
-Doctor: Trust me. Children are a blessing. You'll see. It'll all work out.
blessing: 祝福 work out: 可以解决
相信我,孩子是上天的恩赐。你会明白的,一切都会好起来。
-Gabrielle: Well, I hope to god you're right.
hope to god【向上帝发誓真的希望】
真好,我多么希望你是对的。
And what does this number mean anyway?
number: 数字 anyway: 无论如何
这些数字都是什么意思?
-Doctor: That's your beta number, and it's high, which indicates the possibility of twins.
beta: 贝它,希腊字母中的第二个 indicate: 指示;象征 possibility: 可能性
这个数字表明怀上双胞胎的几率很高。
-Carlos: Gaby, relax. This baby is gonna be the best thing that ever happened to us.
Gaby放松点。这个孩子将是我们人生中最美妙的事。
- Gabrielle: I am so sick of everybody looking at the glass half-full.
be sick of: 厌恶 look at the glass half-full: 处事乐观【源于,通常面对半杯酒或水时,乐观的人会说:太好了,还留了半杯,而悲观的人会说:只剩下半杯了】
我真受不了每个人都乐观的看待杯子里的半杯水。
The glass is empty, people, and so is our bank account.
bank account: 银行帐户
同志们,杯子已经见底了,我们的银行帐户也是。
-Carlos: Is that what you're worried about--money?
你所担心的就是钱吗?
Look, I'll get a job.
听着,我会找一份工作。
-Gabrielle: What are you gonna do, take up piano and get a contract with Motown?
take up: 开始从事(一项事业、一种职业等) Motown: 汽车城(指美国底特律) get a contract: 得到合同
你打算干什么? 到汽车城(底特律)去弹钢琴吗?
-Carlos: Actually, I was thinking about becoming a masseur.
masseur: 按摩师
事实上,我打算做按摩师
You don't need your eyes for that. It's all about the touch.
touch: 触觉
这个工作不需要眼睛,有触觉就够了。
-Gabrielle: Well, I guess that's not the worst idea you've ever had.
好吧,这个主意还不算太糟。
But it's not just about the money, Carlos. It’s...
但这不仅是钱的问题,Carlos,只是...
Oh, after my miscarriage, I gave up on this dream.
miscarriage: 流产 gave up: 放弃
在我流产之后,我就再没想过会有孩子了。
I just figured god decided I couldn't possibly be a good mom, so He didn't make it happen.
He: 上帝
我以为上帝觉得我不会是一个好母亲,他就剥夺了我要孩子的权力。
-Carlos: Well, he obviously changed his mind.
obviously: 显然地 change one’s mind: 改变主意
呃...显然他改变主意了。
-Gabrielle: Well, I wish he'd stop doing that. Nobody likes a fickle god.
wish: 希望 fickle: 变幻无常的
我可不希望他这样。没人喜欢善变的上帝。
-Carlos: Babe, believe me.
亲爱的,相信我。
You getting pregnant is--is-- is a, one-in-a-million shot. It's a miracle.
one-in-a-million shot【一百万分之一的命中率】
你怀孕的几率微乎其微,这...简直是个奇迹。
Now let's embrace it and celebrate.
embrace: (欣然)接受
我们一起来迎接它,好好庆祝一下吧。
-Doctor: Hello, Mrs. Solis. I have your test results.
你好 ,Solis太太。你的检验结果出来了。
- Gabrielle: Great. So do I have anemia? Is that why I've been so tired?
anemia: 贫血症 tired: 疲惫的
太好了,我得了贫血症吗? 这就是我总是无精打采的原因吗?
-Doctor: No. Not exactly. And please don't slap me.
not exactly: 不全是 slap: 打
不完全是。拜托别扇我。
-Gabrielle: I'm pregnant!
我怀孕了!
-Carlos: Oh, my god. It's another miracle.
上帝啊,又一个奇迹!
-Gabrielle: Yeah, we're up to two miracles, and if you come back from the dead after I kill you, it'll be three.
up to: 达到(数量,规格等) the dead【死亡者】
是啊,都两个了。如果我杀了你以后,你能借尸还魂,就有三个了。
-Carlos: W-why you mad at me?
(get) mad at sb: 发某人的火
你为什么生我的气?
-Gabrielle: Oh Gaby, why do I need to wear a condom?
condom: 避孕套
哦,亲爱的,我为什么要戴避孕套呢?
There’s no way I gonna strike twice.
strike: 给予(一击)
这种事不可能发生两次。
-Carlos: Well, I didn't think it would.
我确实认为不会。
-Gabrielle: Put the baby down, Carlos.
put down: 放下
把孩子放下,Carlos。
-Carlos: I don't want to.
不。
-Gabrielle: Do it. I need to hit something, and it needs to be you.
hit: 打,打击
快放下。我要发泄一下,要发泄在你身上。
-Carlos: You are looking at this all wrong.
你的看法完全不对。
This is one-in-a-million. We should--we, should celebrate and embrace--
这可是千载难逢的事情。我们应该...应该拥抱庆祝...
-Gabrielle: Oh, cram it, you fertile freak.
cram it:【口】见鬼去吧 fertile: 能繁殖的 freak: 怪人
哦,去死吧,你这个"种马"。
You're getting a vasectomy.
vasectomy: 结扎输精管
你得去做个结扎手术。
-Carlos: I can't do that. We're Catholic. It's against our religion.
Catholic: 天主教徒【反对堕胎,胎儿已经形成生命,每个生命都有活下去的权利】 be against: 违背 religion: 宗教信仰
那怎么行,我们是天主教徒。那可是对宗教的亵渎。
-Gabrielle: I got news for you. We just converted to Judaism.
news: 消息 convert to: 改变为 Judaism: 犹太教【犹太律法视胎儿逐渐生长成人,而这一成人过程不到分娩时不算完成。因此,当妊娠危及母亲生命时,堕胎不仅被允许,而且在道义上是势在必行的】
我要告诉你 我们改信犹太教了
Problem solved. Mazel tov!
solve: 解决
这样就没事了。恭喜(犹太人所用话语)!
-Carlos: Gaby, it's not just, that. There are other reasons—
reason: 原因
Gaby并不仅仅是宗教,还有其他原因呢...
-Gabrielle: I am done fighting off your bionic sperm.
fight off: 击退 bionic: 异常强大的 sperm: 精子
我可不想再和你那活跃的"小蝌蚪"作战了。
You're getting snipped, and that's final.
snip: 剪
你得去结扎,这就是最终决定。
-Carlos: you're awfully quiet tonight.
awfully: 非常地
今晚你真是相当安静啊。
-Gabrielle: Got a lot on my mind. I think I'm pregnant.
脑子里很乱。我想我怀孕了。
-Carlos: What?
什么?
- Gabrielle: I know. It's crazy. You had a vasectomy. It's impossible.
我知道,这不可思议啊。你做了结扎,不可能怀孕的啊。
-Carlos: Yeah. So what makes you think you're pregnant?
是啊 你怎么会觉得怀孕了呢?
- Gabrielle: My period's late and that never happens to me. I'm like a Swiss clock.
period: 月经 Swiss: 瑞士的
大姨妈还没来,以前可没这样过,一直都像瑞士表一样"准时"的呀。
-Carlos: Oh, come on. There could be a lot of reasons for that.
哦,拜托,经期来晚了有好多种原因呢。
So let's not worry about it right now.
现在别担心这个了。
We're going to a party. You got to lighten up.
lighten up: 放松;不要生气
我们要去参加派对,你得神采奕奕的。
- Gabrielle: Okay. But I'm gonna talk to Bob.
好的,但我要去和Bob谈谈 。
-Carlos: Bob? Why?
Bob? 为什么?
-Gabrielle: Because he and Lee are here. Bob's an attorney.
attorney: 律师
因为他和Lee住这,而Bob是个律师。
I'm gonna get him to sue the Queck, who obviously botched your vasectomy.
sue: 起诉;控告 botch: 笨拙地修补;糟蹋
我得让他起诉那个给你结扎的蹩脚医生。
-Carlos: Oh, Gaby, let's not go there.
哦,Gaby 还是别了。
Hiring an attorney's expensive, and I, don't know that we can prove anything.
expensive: 昂贵的 prove: 证明
请个律师可贵了,我们的证据还不确凿呢。
-Gabrielle: Well, I'm gonna find out.
find out: 查明(真相等)
我会查明原因的。
-Carlos: Fine. But... let's not talk to Bob.
好吧。但是...我们别和Bob说这事。
I don't want our neighbors involved in our business.
involve: 涉及 business: 事情
我可不想让邻居们掺和我们的家事。
-Gabrielle: Oh don’t worry. He's a professional. He'll keep it confidential.
professional: 专业人员 confidential: 机密的
哦,别担心,他可是专业人士,会严格保密的。
-Carlos: Gaby, no. You can't talk to him.
Gaby,不行。你不能和他说。
-Gabrielle: Why the hell not?
the hell: 到底,究竟
到底为什么不能说呢?
-Carlos: I never got a vasectomy.
我没去做结扎。
-Susan: Hi, guys. Welcome to the party.
嗨,朋友们,欢迎来参加派对。
-Mary Alice: Earlier that evening, as she waited for her guests to arrive,
guest: 客人
在那晚的早些时候,在她等客人们到来时,
Susan Mayer took a moment to do her eyebrows.
Susan Mayer花了些时间为自己勾画眉毛。
Of course, she had no way of knowing...
当然,她是根本不会想到
Just how those eyebrows...Would soon been raised.
raise: 提起
那两道眉毛...很会就会扬起来。
-Jackson: sorry I'm late.
对不起,我来迟了。
-Susan: What took you so long? People are gonna be here any minute.
怎么这么晚才来? 客人随时会到。
I need you to pour the cheap vodka into the expensive bottles.
pour: 灌,倒 cheap: 便宜的 vodka: 伏特加
你去把便宜的伏特加酒装进那些贵的酒瓶子里。
-Jackson: I couldn't find my pants.
pants: 裤子
我找不到裤子呀。
I'm here so much that when I go back to my place, I can't remember where anything is.
在你家呆久了,到自己家都记不得东西放哪里了。
-Susan: Well, just please change your shirt.
快换衬衫吧。
-Jackson: You know, I've been thinking that I spend so much time with you now anyway that...
我一直在想,反正我也和你相处这么久了...
-Susan: Fine. You can have a little space in the closet.
space: 空间 closet: 壁橱
好吧,你能在我的柜子里放点东西。
I think I've got some clothes from the '80s I'm ready to part with.
part with: 化掉,卖掉
我想有些80年代的衣服我也该拿出去了。
-Jackson: Actually, I'm talking about moving in.
move in: 搬进
事实上,我在考虑搬来和你一起住。
-Susan: Moving in? Here?
搬进来? 搬到这?
-Jackson: Yeah. That's where we're headed. We should take the plunge. What do you think?
head: 使朝...方向行进 take the plunge: 冒一冒险 plunge: 跳水
是啊,我们不就往这个方向靠齐么?我们该鼓起勇气尝试下,你觉得呢?
-Susan: So obviously, this is the bedroom.
这就是卧室了。
-Jackson: Right. So do you want to stick with this color or switch it up or what?
stick with: 保持 switch: 转变
嗯,你是想保持这种颜色还是换种颜色,还是怎么?
-Susan: I don't know.
我也不知道。
I'm sort of going through a difficult transition in my life right now.
go through: 经历 transition: 转变
我正经历一段艰难的过渡时期。
I need a change. Uh, I was thinking... taupe.
taupe: 暗灰色
我想要改变。呃,我在想...就灰褐色吧。
-Jackson: Sounds good.
sound: 听起来
不错。
You know, I like this place. It's got a good vibe.
vibe: 氛围;气氛
我挺喜欢这个地方的,氛围挺好的。
-Susan: Uh, thanks.
呃,谢谢。
-Jackson: And a nice scent. What is that, your perfume?
scent: 香味 perfume: 香水
香味也不错。是什么,你的香水味吗?
-Susan: Get out.
出去。
-Jackson: Excuse me?
什么?
-Susan: I was not born yesterday, pal. You're coming on to me.
come on to sb:【口语】打某人主意
伙计,别把我当小孩。你打我主意。
-Jackson: No, I'm not.
没,我没有。
-Susan: Oh, please. Telling me I smell good?
哦,拜托了,跟我讲我闻起来不错?
I'm not even wearing deodorant.
deodorant: 除臭剂
我都没用除臭剂。
-Jackson: I said the house smells good.
我是说房子有股香味。
-Susan: Semantics. And then the not so subtle sit-on-the-bed maneuver?
semantics: 语意学 maneuver: 策略
还不是那意思。那坐床上的"花招"意图够明显了吧?
You know, why not just ask for a massage?
massage: 按摩
为什么不直接要按摩呢?
-Jackson: I sat because my feet hurt from you dragging me around for an hour,
hurt from:因为...而疼痛 drag:【口语】硬拖,硬拉
坐床上是因为我的脚都酸了。被你拖着走了近一小时,
telling me you want to paint every room taupe.
paint: 油漆
直到告诉我,你要把每个房间都刷成灰褐色。
-Susan: You said you liked it.
你说过你喜欢这颜色的。
-Jackson: Look, you're obviously going through a rough patch.
rough: 粗糙的 patch: 时期
听着,很明显你在渡过一个难关。
I was afraid if I suggested anything outside the beige family,
suggest: 建议 anything outside the beige family【可以理解为任何在米黄色系以外的颜色 beige: 米黄色的 family: 一族】
我担心如果我建议你漆成别的什么不合适的颜色,
I might send you over the edge.
over the edge:【口语】疯狂,精神错乱
就会让你崩溃的。
I'll let myself out.
let out: 出去
我自己出去吧。
-Susan: No. No, don't go. That was very sweet of you to consider my feelings.
consider: 考虑 feeling: 感情,情绪
别,别,别走。你真善解人意。
You know what? You're hired.
知道吗? 你被聘用了。
-Jackson: Uh, thanks... I think.
呃,谢谢...我想我该这么说。
-Lawyer: So do you need to look these over one more time?
look over: 查看,细看
你还要再把这些文件过目一遍吗?
Okay, then just sign them, and you'll be officially divorced.
sign: 签字 officially: 正式地
好了,那就签字吧,然后你们就正式离婚了。
-Susan: You know what? We need a minute.
这样吧,再给我们点时间。
-Lawyer: Take your time.
take one’s time: 慢慢来
慢慢来。
-Susan: Are we doing the right thing here?
我们真的要这样吗?
-Mike: You're kidding me, right?
你在耍我吧。
-Susan: Once we sign these papers, there's no going back.
papers: 文件
一旦签了字,就无法挽回了。
-Mike: I can't believe this. You were the one who called the lawyer.
真不敢相信,是你打电话给律师的。
-Susan: I know. I'm thinking... that maybe that was a mistake.
mistake: 错误
我知道,我在想...或许我不该那么做。
-Mike: We've been separated for a year. All we're doing today is making it official.
separate: 使分居
我们都分居一年了,今天要做的就是正式离婚。
-Susan: We wouldn't be here if it weren't for that accident. You know that.
accident: 意外
要不是那场车祸我们不会到这个地步。你知道的。
Before that, we were good. We could get back there.
get back: 恢复原状
在那之前,我们过的很好。我们能破镜重圆的。
-Mike: Susan... it's nobody's fault, but, I can't do this anymore.
谁也没有错,但我不能这样下去了。
-Susan: Oh, come on! We were Mike and Susan, remember?
哦,拜托!我们曾是Mike和Susan啊,还记得吗?
You only get one of those in a lifetime.
in a lifetime: 一生中
一生只得一次那种。
We could make things right again.
我们可以让一切从头再来的。
-Mike: Yeah. And here's how.
是啊,这样就可以了。
-Jackson: Hey, you're back. So what do you think?
你回来了,你觉得怎样?
-Susan: It--it looks good.
看起来不错。
-Jackson: Yeah, I-I-I think you were right to stick with this color. It looks fantastic.
fantastic:【口语】极好的,极出色的
是啊,我...我想你保持这种颜色是对的。看起来相当好。
-Susan: Thanks. Do you like scotch?
scotch: 【美俚】威士忌
谢谢。你要点威士忌吗?
-Jackson: Okay... I need to be honest about something.
honest: 诚实的
好了...我得坦白一点事情。
-Susan: H-honest? Okay.
坦白?好的。
-Jackson: I don't usually do this kind of thing, hook up like this, out of the blue.
hook up: 搭上关系 out of the blue: 突如其来的
我通常不会这样,突然就像这样跟别人上床。
Not that it wasn't great, because it was, but I'm not really looking to start anything.
look to: 期待
并不是刚才不爽,刚才挺爽的,但我并不想开始一段恋情。
Work is crazy, and I just got a dog, and...
工作太忙了,我还养了只狗,还有...
I'm just not in that place right now.
我还没准备好。
-Susan: So just to be clear, you're saying you don't want a relationship?
be clear: 清楚 relationship:【委婉语】男女关系
明确地说就是,你现在不想恋爱,对吧?
-Jackson: Sorry. I probably should have said that right up front.
up front: 预先,首先
对不起,或许我应该在这之前说的。
-Susan: No, uh... it's fantastic.
没关系,呃…很好啊。
-Jackson: Really?
真的吗?
-Susan: I don't want a relationship either.
either:【用于否定句或否定词组后】也(不…),亦,而且
我也不想恋爱。
All I want from you is exactly what we just did.
我想要的就是刚才做的。
Except next time, it's Susan.
except: 但是
只是下次你得叫我Susan。
-Jackson: Yeah. Mrs. Mayer was probably a little formal for the moment.
probably: 或许 formal: 正式的
是啊,Mayer太太目前来说有点正式了。
So there's gonna be a next time?
那么还有下次了?
-Susan: Unless you're not interested.
interested: 感兴趣的
除非你不想要。
-Jackson: Are you kidding? I'm this close to doing a victory lap around the bed.
be close to: 接近于 a victory lap : 绕场一周【一般指获胜选手的绕场巡礼】 lap: (田径中)领先或跑完一圈
你在开玩笑吗? 差一点我就可以在床上搞个"三连胜"了。
So you're really fine with this, just a purely physical thing?
purely: 纯粹地 physical: 肉欲的
那么你真的不介意这样? 只是纯粹的肉体关系?
-Susan: I gave romance a shot and... I'm ready for something a little more casual.
give romance a shot【理解为我已经尝试过浪漫了give it a shot: 试一试】 casual: 随便的
爱情这种奢侈品我已品尝过,现在...我想随意一点了。
-Jackson: I've heard of women like you, but... I thought you were an urban myth.
hear of: 听说 urban: 城市的 myth: 神话
我听说过像你这样的女人,但是...我原以为不过是个都市传奇罢了。
-Jackson: Did you hear what I said?
你听见我刚才说什么了吗?
-Susan: Uh, yeah. You want to move in.
呃,是的,你想要搬进来。
-Jackson: I-it's just that when I'm not with you, I'm waiting to be with you.
be with: 和(某人)在一起
只是...当我不在你身边的时候,就一直想要和你在一起。
I've never felt like this before. So...
那种感觉是前所未有的。那么…
What do you think? Do you want to live together?
你怎么想的? 你想一起住吗?
-Susan: No.
不行。
-Jackson: So that's it? Just no? You're not gonna give me a reason?
that's it: 就这样,就这么简单
就这样了? 就是不行? 都不给个理由?
-Susan: What's wrong with the way things are? Why change everything now?
change: 改变
现在这样不是蛮好么? 为什么现在要改变一切?
-Jackson: Because... I've fallen in love with you.
fall in love with sb.: 爱上某人
因为...我已经爱上你了。
-Susan: Hi, guys. Welcome to the party.
嗨,朋友们。欢迎参加派对。
-Mary Alice: The last thing did Lynette Scavo did before a party was to check for gray hairs.
check for: 检查
Lynette Scavo在派对之前最后的准备是寻找头上的白发。
-Lynette: Penny! Let's go! Time for bath!
bath: 洗澡
Penny! 走! 洗澡去!
-Mary Alice: She had no way of knowing before this evening was over.
在这一晚过去之前她完全想不到,
She would have a few more.
白发将多出好几根。
-Lynette: Penny! If you're thinking of taking that for a spin, I've got bad news.
take sb. for a spin: 开车兜风 spin: 疾驰
Penny.你要想开车兜风,恐怕不行。
You're 9. Hey, what's the matter, sweetie?
你才9岁。怎么啦,宝贝?
-Penny: Is daddy dying?
爸爸是不是快死了?
-Lynette: What? Of course not.
什么?当然不是啦。
Why would you say something like that?
怎么会这么想?
-Penny: I heard porter and Preston fighting about who's gonna get daddy's car when he dies.
fight about: 就(某事)与某人争吵
我听到Porter和Preston在争,爸死了以后他的车归谁。
-Lynette: They're just being silly. They're always silly.
silly: 愚蠢的
他们又不靠谱了,他们老这么不靠谱。
That's why we won't be sad when they move out of the house. Come on.
所以他们搬出去时没人会舍不得,快来。
-Penny: But everybody dies someday, right?
但是人都会死的,对不对?
-Lynette: Yes, but daddy's gonna live to a ripe old age
ripe old age: 高龄 ripe: 年长的
对 ,爸爸会尽享天年的
unless he doesn't get home in time for Mrs. Mccluskey's party,
in time: 及时
除非他有胆晚归,耽误McCluskey太太的派队。
and then all bets are off.
bets are off【结局难以预料 bet: 赌注】
那就说不准了。
Oh, daddy's gonna be fine. Come on.
爸爸会没事的,来吧。
-Lynette: My husband-- I'm, Lynette Scavo. Dr. Baron called me...
我丈夫... 我是Lynette Scavo。Baron医生给我电话...
-Doctor Baron: I'm Dr. Baron.
我是Baron医生。
-Lynette: What happened?
怎么回事?
-Doctor Baron: Your husband was working on an electrical panel at his restaurant...
electrical panel: 配电板
您先生在餐馆里修配电板时
And received a massive shock.
receive: 遭受 massive: 巨大的 shock: 触电,电击
遭到强电击。
Essentially, his heart stopped pumping.
essentially: 本质上 pump: 上下抽吸
简单说就是他心脏停跳了。
-Lynette: Is he...
他现在…
-Doctor Baron: Fortunately, there was a policeman eating in the restaurant.
很幸运,当时有一位警察在店里用餐。
He administered C.P.R. until the ambulance got there.
administer: 实施 C.P.R: 心脏复苏术(Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) ambulance: 救护车
救护车来前,一直在给他做心肺复苏。
-Lynette: So he's okay?
那他没事了吧。
-Doctor Baron: His heart restarted.
restart: 重新启动
心脏恢复了。
Now it's a matter of determining if there's any tissue damage.
matter: 事情 determine: 决定 tissue: 组织 damage: 损害,损伤
现在要观察一下有没有组织损伤。
We're optimistic, but the next 36 hours are critical.
optimistic: 乐观的 critical: 危险的
情况还是比较乐观的,但接下来36小时是危险期。
-Hospital: Father O’Brien, please report to the...
O'Brien神父,请速到...
-Lynette: Hey?
嘿?
-Tom: Hey.
嘿。
-Lynette: So I'm thinking no more electrical work, okay?
electrical work: 电气工程
我觉得,以后别自己做电工了,行吗?
The kids know everything's fine. They send their love.
孩子们知道你没事了。他们说很爱你。
Don't worry about anything, okay? Just rest.
rest: 休息
什么都不要担心,好好休息。
I'll come back soon, okay?
我一会来看你,好吗?
-Tom: You know what I thought?
知道我那时的想法吗?
When I was lying there on the floor,
lie: 躺着
当时我躺在地上,
I thought, I'm gonna die in a pizza place.
我想,我要死在披萨店里了
I mean, my whole life was gonna be summed up with this obituary headline...
whole: 整个的 sum up: 总结,概括 obituary: 讣告 headline: (新闻报道等的)题目
我的一生就被讣告头条概括为
local pizza shop owner dies.
local: 本地的,当地的 shop owner: 商店老板
本地披萨店主身亡。
-Lynette: But it doesn't matter, because you're not dying.
那都无所谓了,因为你没有死。
-Tom: I need more, Lynette. I need--, th-there's got to be more.
我需要更多Lynette 我...一定要。
-Lynette: Okay. Okay. We'll find more. Just rest now, okay?
好,好,给你更多。先休息,好吗?
-Tom: Hey, sexy. Drop the rake and get in.
drop: 放下 rake: 耙子 get in: (使)进入
嗨,辣妹,扔了耙子,快上车。
-Lynette: What the hell is this?
这是什么?
-Tom: This is the car that I have wanted my whole life.
这是我这辈子最想要的车。
When I was 12 years old, I had a poster of this baby up on my wall.
poster: 海报
我12岁的时候在墙上贴了张这种车的海报。
-Lynette: And when I was 12, I had, a poster of Shaun Cassidy,
我12岁的时候,有一张Shaun Cassidy的海报,
but you don't see me driving around in him, do you?
但你看我可没穷追不舍。
-Tom: I want to show you something.
给你看样东西。
-Lynette: What, do machine guns come out of the headlights?
machine gun: 机关枪 come out of: 从...出来 headline: 前灯
咋了,车前灯安置了机关枪?
-Tom: I carry this around to remind me of the day that I almost died.
carry around: 随身带来带去 remind of: 令...回忆,想起
我随身带着它,使我想起差点挂的那天。
That day you promised me, that we would find more.
promise: 允诺,保证
那天你向我保证,我们会有更多。
I'm keeping the car. So do you want a ride?
a ride【这里理解为乘车兜风,take sb. for a spin: 开车兜风 go foe a ride: 开车兜风】
我要留着这辆车,想去兜风吗?
-Lynette: Where have you been?
你去哪呀?
So help me, if mccluskey gets there before us, I will brain you.
brain: 打…的头
拜托,如果McCluskey在我们之前就到了,我就爆了你的头
-Tom: Sorry. Let's go.
不好意思,咱们这就走。
-Lynette: Well, sheesh. Sweetie, we already got Karen a candle.
sheesh: 天啊 candle: 蜡烛
呃,切。亲爱的,我们已经给Karen准备了蜡烛。
An R.V. might be overkill.
R.V.:【美】Recreational Vehicle(设有床位、厨房等野营用的)娱乐车 overkill: 过分,过分行为(或举止)
房车就小题大做了。
-Tom: Yeah, but that's not for her. That's for us.
是,但那不是给她准备的,是给我们。
I'm about to blow your mind, Lynette.
blow one’s mind: 使某人震惊
我要给你个惊喜 Lynette。
-Lynette: Oh, don’t. I like my mind the way it is.
别,我不想受惊。
-Tom: What would you say to the idea of taking the kids out of school for a year and bopping around the country, in one of these sweet rides?
bop: 尤指从容地大摇大摆地走
坐这种车带孩子们离校一年周游全国, 你看怎么样?
-Lynette: Well, I might not say anything.
呃,我无语了。
I might just put my finger to my ear and twirl it in small circles.
finger: 手指 ear: 耳朵 twirl: 扭转 circle: 圆周
把手指塞进耳朵转几圈还差不多。
We can't do something like that, Tom.
我们不能那样做,Tom。
-Tom: Yes, we can. We can do whatever we want. Life is short.
whatever: 无论什么
不,我们可以的。我们可以做我们想做的。人生苦短。
-Lynette: Okay, let me ask you one tiny question about this big adventure plan of yours.
tiny: 极小的 adventure: 冒险活动 plan: 计划
好,我问你一个关于冒险活动的小问题。
who's gonna be running our restaurant while we're off doing the electric kool-aid acid test?
run: 经营 restaurant: 餐馆 the electric kool-aid acid test: 令人振奋的兴奋剂实验【Tom Wolfe的一本小说】
去搞这个"令人振奋的兴奋剂实验"时,谁去经营咱们的披萨店?
-Tom: That won't be our problem.
那不成问题。
The last few weeks, I've been talking to a guy from Passentino's pizza.
前一阵子,我和一个Passentino披萨店的人商量过,
They want to buy us out.
buy out: 买下…全部股票(或产权、商品等)
他们想买我们的店。
This afternoon, I said yes.
今天下午,我同意了。
Hey, guys. You ready to party?
嘿, 要去聚会啦?
-Mary Alice: Moments before she was due at her friend’s day.
due: 应出席的
在到达派对现场之前,
Bree Hodge was at the mirror, applying her eyeliner.
apply: 涂
Bree Hodge对着镜子,描绘着眼线
-Bree: Aren't you dapper?
dapper: 衣冠楚楚的
你衣冠楚楚啊。
-Orson: When I tell everyone I'm your new partner, I want to look the part.
partner: 合作者,搭档 look the part: 看上去像那种人
宣布我是你的搭档时,我要我名副其实。
-Mary Alice: It would not be the last time that evening.
这并不会是当晚最后一次。
Bree would find herself...drawing a line.
draw a line: 立下界限
Bree发现自己...在画下界限。
-Bree: Um, actually, dear...
呃,其实,亲爱的…
-Bree: I'd rather you not talk about the job tonight.
would rather: 最好是
今晚你还是不要提工作比较好。
-Orson: But, Bree, this is the first party in months, when I can answer the question, "what's new?
但是Bree,这是几个月来第一次我能在聚会上回答"近况如何"这个问题。
Without mumbling into my drink.
mumble: 喃喃地说
而不是含糊其辞的喝酒。
-Bree: Well, it's just vulgar to discuss business at a party.
vulgar: 粗俗的 discuss: 讨论
只是在聚会上谈工作不太妥当啊。
-Orson: You haven't told Katherine yet, have you?
你还没告诉Katherine 对吧?
-Bree: It's not that easy. You, know she'll be furious.
furious: 狂怒的
事情没那么简单,要知道她会发怒的
-Orson: Yes, but the great thing about Katherine is,
对,Katherine的必杀技是,
she'll express it so passive-aggressively, we’ll hardly notice.
express: 表达 passive: 被动的 aggressively: 有侵略性的 notice: 注意
她会不动声色的发怒,让人几乎察觉不到。
Look, I know she's your friend, but she's also our employee.
employee: 雇员
我知道她是你的朋友,但她也是你的雇员。
Why is this so difficult for you?
为什么这件事如此为难你?
-Bree: It’s... complicated.
这…很复杂。
-Orson: Well... another dead soldier.
dead soldier:【美俚】空酒瓶
呃,又喝空了一瓶。
-Bree: Careful, dear. You don't want to be ill tomorrow.
亲爱的,喝多了明天会难受的。
-Orson: Yes. Nothing like a headache to spoil a perfectly nice first day in prison.
headache: 头疼 spoil: 糟蹋
对,别让头疼破坏了监狱里完美的第一天。
-Bree: Uh, would anybody like some more frittata?
frittata: 菜肉馅饼煎鸡蛋
呃,谁想吃菠菜烘蛋饼?
-Orson: Is my wife amazing or what?
amazing: 令人吃惊的
我老婆厉害吧。
I mean, how many inmates get sent off with a festive champagne brunch?
inmate: 同室者(特指监狱或医院) sent off: 驱逐离场 festive: 欢庆的 champagne brunch: 自助餐
有多少囚犯临行前像过节一样海吃海喝?
-Andrew: Uh, w-when you're in jail, you might want to avoid words like "festive" and "brunch."
avoid:避免
等你进了监狱,估计就会避免说过节 "海吃海喝"。
They kind of say, "hi, I'm husband hunting."
hunt: 寻找
他们大概会说:嗨,我要找个老公"
-Bree: Andrew, please.
Andrew 拜托。
-Orson: It's fine. This is my last taste of freedom for three years.
没事,这是我接下来三年里,最后一次享受自由了。
I want jokes. I want fun, laughter.
我要笑话;我要快乐;我要欢笑。
-Lee: Anyway, prison won't be such a big change.
其实监狱日子对你来说没那么残酷。
You're a dentist. You're used to cavity searches.
dentist: 牙医 cavity: 洞穴 searcher: 搜索者
你是个牙科医生,善于探究洞穴的。
-Bob: You vowed to me that, you wouldn't say that.
vow: 发誓
你曾发誓,不那样说的。
-Katherine: Bree tells me that you're going to make very good use of your time away.
make good use of: 很好利用
Bree告诉我说你打算好好利用离开的这段时间。
-Bree: Uh, yes. He's going to read a lot of classic books, maybe study a language.
classic: 经典的
呃是的,他打算读些经典的书,或者学一门外语。
-Andrew: Yes, uh, he can learn the Italian, for, "I cost five cigarettes."
对,呃,他可以学着用意大利语说:“我换了五根烟。”
-Bree: Andrew, really.
Andrew 行行好。
-Orson: Bree, he's joking. Everything's fine...except my glass, which seems to be empty.
glass: 玻璃杯 empty: 空的
Bree,他开玩笑的。一切都很好。除了我的杯子,它好像空了。
-Katherine: Bree? Bree? Oh, for god sake. Get up.
get up: 起床
Bree? Bree? 老天爷啊,起床!
We have the garden club lunch in...You’ve been drinking?
我们要去花园俱乐部宴会...你喝多了?
-Bree: Go away. I don't feel well.
go away: 走开,离开
走开,我不舒服。
-Katherine: We have a lunch to cater.
cater: 备办食物
我们要去准备宴会。
-Bree: I'm too tired. Can you do it?
我太累了,你去吧。
-Katherine: Get up.
起来。
When did this start?
什么时候开始的?
-Bree: When Orson left, I...
Orson走后,我...
began having a glass of white wine now and then.
now and then: 偶尔,有时
时不时的喝杯白葡萄酒。
Then when Danielle took Benjamin, I didn't see any reason to stop at just one.
然后Danielle带走了Benjamin,我就喝的一发不可收拾了。
-Katherine: So is this why you missed the lunch last week and the Braverman bar mitzvah?
bar mitzvah: 成人礼
这就是你错过了上星期的宴会和Braverman成人仪式的原因?
-Bree: I can't help myself, all right?
can not help: 禁不住,忍不住
我不能自拔了,行吗?
My husband's gone. My son's gone. I have nothing left.
我老公走了,我儿子走了,我什么也没有了。
-Katherine: No, actually, you have a lunch for 40 in 3 hours,
不,三个小时后,你有个40人的宴会,
and I'm not letting you out of it.
let out: 放走
你不能不去。
-Bree: Oh, Katherine, please.
Katherine 拜托。
-Katherine: Okay, so you have a void in your life. Welcome to the club.
void: 空虚 welcome to the club【直译是欢迎来到俱乐部,可理解为欢迎加入我们的行列,我也感到空虚】
好,所以你的生活空虚了。谁不是呢?
Don't fill it with wine. Fill it with work, with accomplishments.
fill with: 使...充满 accomplishment: 成就
别用酒来充实生活;用工作,用成就来充实。
Just think about the woman you could be by the time Orson gets back.
想一想,在Orson回来你怎么面对他?
Or is this the woman you want him to come home to?
难道要让他回来时看到你这幅样子?
-Bree: He's gonna be so ashamed of me.
be ashamed of: 对…感到羞耻
这样他会为我感到羞耻的。
-Katherine: No, he won’t...because you're not gonna tell him.
不,他不会,你不用没告诉他。
You know he'd just blame himself.
blame oneself: 自责
他只是为自己而自责。
-Bree: I don't know if I can make it this time.
make it:【口语】获得成功
我不知道我这次还能不能坚强起来。
-Katherine: Yes, you will, because I am moving in.
能,你能的,我搬过来陪你。
-Bree: You would do that?
你说真的?
-Katherine: When I had nothing, you made me your partner.
当我一无所有时,你收我做了搭档。
I'm not gonna forget that. I am gonna get you through this.
get through: 度过,熬过(困难时期等)
我不会忘恩负义,我要帮你度过难关。
And when we are done, that scary woman over there--she does never gonna be seen in this house again.
scary: 骇人的
等我们结束后,镜中那个颓废的女人将不复存在。
-Orson: When you think about it, tonight is the ideal time for you to tell Katherine.
ideal: 理想的
你想想,今晚是告诉Katherine的最佳时机。
The presence of the other guests will keep her from causing a scene,
presence: 出席,在场 keep from: 禁止,阻止 cause a scene: 当众大吵大闹
客人在场可以避免她惹是生非。
and as word spreads, that we're partners—
word: 消息 spread: 传播,散布
大家纷纷散布我们成为搭档的消息。
-Bree: And how is word going to spread?
怎么会散布?
-Orson: I'll be spreading it.
我来散布。
People will be congratulating me, and Katherine will have to join in and risk looking petty.
join in: 加入 risk: 冒...的风险 petty: 器量小的
大家会祝贺我,然后Katherine也会不得不和大家一样强颜欢笑。
-Bree: And she'll be twice as mad at having been put in that position.
twice: 两倍 been put in that position【被置于那种境地】
那样的话,她会更加生气的。
I am not telling her tonight.,
我不打算今晚告诉她。
-Orson: Fine. Then I will.
好吧,那我来告诉她。
-Bree: No, you will not. I forbid it.
forbid: 禁止
不行,你不能。我不许。
-Orson: You know, for a partner, you're sounding a lot like a boss.
boss: 老板
你对你搭档说话的口气像老板。
I am telling her.
我要告诉她。
-Bree: Look, if we can't agree on something this basic, maybe we shouldn't work together.
agree on: 对...意见一致 basic: 基本原则
如果我们连这点事都不能达成共识,估计我们也没办法一块工作。
-Orson: What are you saying?
你说什么?
-Bree: I'm saying, maybe you should reconsider joining the company.
我说,或许你可以考虑找其他公司应聘。
-Orson: I have no intention of reconsidering.
intention: 意图,意向 reconsider: 重新考虑
我不打算改变主意。
-Bree: Fine. You're fired.
fire:【美国口语】解雇
好。你被解雇了。
-Tom: Hey, guys. You ready to party?
嘿,要去聚会啦?
-Mary Alice: The party was in full swing.
in full swing:【口语】正在紧张繁忙之时
派对本来进展的很顺利。
And everyone was waiting to surprise the guest of honor.
大家都等待着给寿星一个大大的惊喜。
Little did they know an even bigger surprise was on its way.
on one’s way: 即将到来
他们不知道的事,有更大的惊喜正在从天而将。
-Dave: Sorry I'm late. There was a line at the bakery.
line: 队 bakery: 面包房
不好意思迟到了,蛋糕房排队。
-Susan: Well, you really went all out.
go all out: 全力以赴
哇,你真花心思。
-Dave: Yeah, she deserves it.
deserve: 值得,应受
没,应该的。
-Dave: Can I help you, Mrs. Mccluskey?
有什么事吗,Mccluskey太太?
-Mrs. Mccluskey: This letter for Edie came to my house by mistake.
这封给Edie的信,错寄到我这了。
I'm making sure that none of my stuff, uh, came here.
我来看看,是不是有我的信寄到你这了。
Well, it's all yours.
不过都是给你的。
-Edie: Anything interesting?
有什么新闻吗?
-Dave: Fortunately, no.
很幸运的是,没有。
I just saw your friend Karen outside.
刚我在外面看到了Karen。
Is she still asking you questions about me?
她还在刨根问底吗?
-Edie: A few, but don't take it personally.
don't take it personally【这不是针对个人的,别介意 personally: 以个人地】
偶然会啦,不过别介意。
Prying is what people too old to have sex do to keep life interesting.
pry: 打听 have sex: 做爱
对于上了年岁的老人,八卦是唯一乐趣了
She's turning 70 next week.
turn: 逾(一定年龄、数量等)
下周她就70岁了。
-Dave: No kidding. Hey, we should throw her a party.
真的啊。我们应该给她办个派对。
-Edie: I'm already taking her out for a drink. That's plenty.
我要请她去喝酒。这就够了。
-Dave: She'll be 70, sweetheart.
她70大寿啊,宝贝。
Don't you think that calls for something bigger?
call for: 需要
不应该好好庆祝吗?
-Edie: Look, Karen’s a friend, but I don't like having her in my house.
没错 Karen是我朋友,但我不喜欢请她到咱家来。
It would be one thing if we had a bathroom, with a window you could open, but...
除非咱家浴室有个后门能偷偷溜出去,不过...
-Dave: Well, couldn't you ask someone else to host it?
ask sb. to do sth.: 要求某人做某事 host: 主办(宴会、招待会等)
难道不能请别人来主办吗?
-Edie: Well, I suppose I could palm it off to Mayer.
suppose: 认为 palm off: 用欺骗的手段把…处理掉 palm: 手掌,掌心
也许能转手给Mayer。
-Dave: Good. Tell her we'll supply the food and liquor.
supply: 供应 liquor: 酒
好的。告诉她,我们提供食品和酒水。
-Edie: You know, Karen’s not a fan of yours. Why do you want to throw her a party?
fan:【美国口语】...迷 throw:【口语】举行(宴会、舞会等)
Karen又不是你朋友,为什么要给她办派对呢?
-Dave: It's a big day for her. I just want to make sure it's special.
special: 特别的
这是她的大日子,我要让她过的特别一些
-Edie: So...what do you think?
看看,感觉如何?
-Dave: I think that is one hell of an outfit to wear to a 70th birthday party.
hell of: 极度的 outfit: 配备
我觉得,去人家70岁生日穿这身太赞了。
-Edie: It's my gift to Karen.
这是我送给Karen的礼物。
I figure she'll get at least five good boob jokes out of it.
boob:【俚】女性的乳房
我预计她至少会开五个关于胸的玩笑。
-Dave: Well, she'll be here soon, so let's go over this one more time.
go over: 复习
她马上就来了,再复习一下流程。
-Edie: Okay. I take her home, then I come up with some excuse to get her over to Susan’s,
come up with: 提出 excuse: 借口
我带她回家,然后找借口让她到Susan家。
where everyone jumps out and yells, "surprise!"
jump out: 跳出来 yell: 大叫
然后大伙跳出来说 "生日快乐!"
Which I still say isn't the smartest thing to do to a 70-year-old.
smart: 聪明
不过我仍然认为,对70岁的人来说,这有点太刺激了。
-Dave: Mrs. Mccluskey. Happy birthday.
Mccluskey太太,生日快乐。
-Karen: Jeez, Edie, are we going for drinks or mammograms?
mammogram: 乳房X线照片
呀,Edie,我们是去喝酒还是去检查乳腺?
-Edie: That's one. Oh, let me grab my earrings, and we're good to go.
grab: 匆匆忙忙的做 earring: 耳环,耳饰
一个笑话咯。哦,我去拿耳环,然后就能出发了。
-Dave: So...70. It's quite a milestone. How's it feel?
milestone: 里程碑
哦...70大寿了,意义重大啊。感觉如何?
-Karen: No big whoop.
whoop: 欢呼声
没什么特别。
-Dave: Edie told me that she takes you out for a birthday drink every year.
Edie跟我说,每年生日她都带你去喝酒。
I think that's a great tradition.
tradition: 传统
这真是个好传统。
Look, I'm just trying to be friends here.
听我说,我只是想像朋友一样。
-Edie: All right then. I'll see you later. Come on. Let's go.
我好啦。回头见。走吧,我们走。
-Karen: I've got enough friends.
我朋友够多的了。
-Susan: Where's Karen?
Karen呢?
-Edie: She'll be here as soon as she gives her cat some medicine.
她给猫喂完药就来。
Do I you think she'll be surprised?
你觉得她会惊喜吗?
-Dave: Oh, absolutely.
哦,那当然。
-Karen: what the...Dave.
这是...Dave。
-Lynette: Just so I'm clear, you want us to sell our thriving business so we can live in a bus, like carnies?
thriving: 兴盛的;成功的 carny: 循环演艺团
我问问清楚。你想把咱的生意转手,就为了买辆房车,跟马戏团似的?
-Mike: Come on. This is cool. We can go wherever we want.
拜托。这多酷啊。想去哪就去哪。
The--the kids could see America.
孩子们能遍游全国。
-Lynette: And when we start stealing to support ourselves, the kid can see the inside of a prison. You're right, Tom. It's a brilliant idea.
steal: 偷窃 support: 供养 brilliant:【俚语】极妙的,很好的
等咱只能靠偷窃为生时,孩子们还能参观监狱美好景色呢。你说的没错Tom。这主意真绝。
-Mike: Damn it, Lynette. Why do you, have to be such a buzz kill?
天啊,Lynette,什么你每次都这么扫兴?
Why can't you just once give me a little support?
为什么不能支持我一次?
-Lynette: Fine. I'll get you a towel.
好吧,我去给你拿毛巾。
-Mike: For what?
干什么?
-Orson: Bree, you can't fire me, not after all the sacrifices I made for you
sacrifice: 牺牲
Bree 我为你牺牲了这么多,你不能解雇我。
-Bree: Orson, stop throwing jail in my face.
jail: 监狱 throw sth. in sb.’s face: 以某事当面指责某人
Orson 别跟我提坐牢的事了
You cellmate was a crooked C.P.A., who helped you form a bridge club.
cellmate: 狱友 crooked: 不诚实的 C.P.A.:注册会计师certified public accountant
form: 建立,组织
bridge: 桥牌
你的狱友是个失足的会计,他还帮你成立了桥牌俱乐部。
It wasn't exactly Attica.
Attica:【1971年9月,纽约州怀俄明县的阿提卡监狱,爆发了美国历史上最惨烈的监狱
暴动。共死亡43人,包括32名囚犯和11名人质。】
又不是把你关在了阿提卡监狱。
-Orson: Bree, I need this job.
Bree 我需要这份工作。
Do you have any idea what it's like to wake up every morning and have no reason to get out of bed?
我每天醒来,都没有起床的动力。邻居知道我有前科,找不到工作。
To smile and nod at neighbors who know your wife's supporting you because no one will hire a felon?
nod at: 向...点头 felon: 重罪犯
靠老婆养着,而我还要朝他们点头微笑。你知道这是什么感受吗?
I am drowning, and for you to throw me a lifeline and then snatch it away--
drowning: 溺水的 lifeline: 救生索 snatch: 夺走
我仿佛要被淹死,你给了我救命稻草,然后又让它破灭了。
-Bree: Orson, I should have never offered you that job. It wasn't fair to Katherine.
offer: 提供 fair: 公平的
Orson 我不能给你这份工作,这对Katherine不公平。
-Orson: I am your husband. Why are you putting Katherine’s feelings ahead of mine?
ahead of: 在...前面
我是你丈夫。你为什么先人后己?
-Bree: Orson, please. You're putting me in an impossible position.
impossible:【口语】讨厌的;难以忍受的
Orson 你这样让我很为难。
-Orson: Then let me make it simpler for you. I want a divorce.
那我帮你简单解决吧。我们离婚。
-Gabrielle: Katherine, great dress.
Katherine 衣服真美哦。
You're gonna turn some heads with that one.
turn some heads with that one【意思是穿了这件衣服能使很多人回头啊】
这身打扮回头率肯定高啊。
-Gabrielle: I hope you're enjoying this party, Carlos, because you're not gonna live to see another one.
Carlos 你这次聚会好好玩。回去我好好收拾你。
-Carlos: Look, I'm sorry that I lied, and for what it's worth, the guilt has been tearing me apart.
guilt: 罪恶感 tear apart: 使心烦意乱
对不起我撒谎了。但无论如何,负罪感让我也很难受。
-Gabrielle: You know what's gonna tear me apart?
你知道什么让我难受吗?
Another 10-pound baby shooting out my hoo-ha.
shoot out: 箭一般的冲出 hoo-ha: 叫嚷
肚子里又怀上一个10磅重的孩子。
-Carlos: Honey, look at it this way, god blessed us again because you are such a great mom.
bless: 祝福,祈佑
宝贝,你是个好妈妈,上帝再次垂青于你。
-Gabrielle: Get your hands off me, you selfish son of a bitch.
selfish: 自私的
别碰我,你个自私的混蛋。
-Jackson: I told you I love you. Doesn't that mean anything to you?
我说了,我爱你。这还不够吗?
-Susan: Yes. It means that someone forgot that, we had an agreement to keep things casual.
forget: 忘记 agreement: 协议 casual: 随便的
是的。这说明有人忘了,我们说过要随意。
-Jackson: Okay. So if we're not in a relationship, if I was with another woman, that wouldn't bother you?
如果咱俩不是情侣,我爱上了别的女人,你也不介意吗?
-Susan: No, it wouldn’t.
我不介意。
-Edie: Quiet, everyone. She's coming. Move it.
大家安静。她来了。都藏好。
-All: Surprise!
生日快乐!
-Mrs. Mccluskey: You think you can screw with me?
screw:【俚语】诈骗;骗去
你以为你能耍的了我?
-Dave: What do you mean?
你这是什么意思?
-Edie: Karen, what the hell are you doing?
Karen 你这是发什么疯?
-Mrs. Mccluskey: Ask that husband of yours!
问你自己老公!
-Edie: no!
不要!
-Jackson: Let's not be doing that.
大家不要这样。
-Karen: No, that man broke into my house tonight!
break into: 侵入
不,他今晚擅闯我家!
-Susan: What?
什么?
-Karen: Yes, and he-- and he moved things around, and he--and he took a picture off the wall,
take off: 取下
没错 他...动了我的东西,把墙上的照片拿了下来,
and then he put the table next to the couch, and the dish for the keys
couch: 沙发
把方桌放到了沙发旁边,还有钥匙碟...
it's always by the...It's, always by the door.
钥匙碟...一般都在门旁边的。
And that's not the first time he's broken in either.
这不是他第一次私闯我家了。
He stole my cat, and then he put him back.
他偷了我的猫,后来还了回来。
-Dave: Okay, Mrs. Mccluskey, why would I do those things?
听着,Mccluskey夫人,我为什么要那么做呢?
-Edie: Karen, I hate to say it, but you're not making a lot of sense right now.
make sense: 讲得通;言之有理
Karen,不得不说,你这些话没什么逻辑。
Maybe you need to lie down.
也许你该躺会了。
-Mrs. Mccluskey: You...
你…
-Katherine: I think we should call 9-1-1.
911: 美国报警电话
我们是不是该报警。
-Mrs. Mccluskey: Let go of me!
放开我!
Why are you all acting like I'm crazy?
为什么大家都这么看我,像我疯了一样?
-Gabrielle: Halle-damn-lujah, I got my period!
老天保佑,我的"大姨妈"了!
Oh, was she surprised?
哦,她惊喜了吗?
-Dave: She seemed totally disoriented, babbling.
totally: 完全地 disoriented: 无判断力的 babble: 胡说
她逻辑混乱,语无伦次。
I just hope it isn't dementia. She lives by herself.
dementia: 老年痴呆症 live by: 靠...而生
希望不是老年痴呆。她是孤老户。
- Policeman: We'll alert the hospital. We're gonna need a psych evaluation.
alert: 通知 psych: 心理 evaluation: 评估
我们会提醒医院,进行心理检查。
-Dave: Thank you. Thank you.
谢谢。谢谢。
-Susan: Poor Karen. I hope she's okay.
可怜的Karen,希望她没事。
-Jackson: Yeah, me, too.
是啊 希望没事
-Susan: We should probably talk now, huh?
我们现在该谈谈了,是吧?
-Jackson: Yeah. Let's talk.
是啊,谈谈吧。
Does this relationship have a future?
future: 将来,未来呢
我们的关系能有未来吗?
-Susan: Jackson, what we have here has been working pretty well.
Jackson现在这样不是挺好嘛。
-Jackson: Answer the question.
回答我的问题。
-Susan: Can't we just keep going the way we are?
不能维持现状吗?
-Jackson: And there's my answer.
那我的答案也有了。
-Orson: It seems like they're taking good care of her.
took care of: 照顾,照料
他们会照顾好她的。
-Bree: I hope you didn't mean what you said earlier.
你之前的话,希望你不是认真的。
You just don't understand what I owe to Katherine.
owe to: 欠某人
你不明白,我欠了Katherine多少。
-Orson: You're right. I don’t.
没错,我不明白。
You started the company and gave her a job when she needed one badly.
你开了公司,雇了她,救她于水深火热。
Why are you the one who owes her?
你为什么还欠她?
-Bree: You know that...
你还记得...
brunch we had for you right, before you left for prison?
你入狱前的那顿饭吗?
I was very tense, and I was very unhappy.
tense: 紧张的
我十分紧张,抑郁不安。
So I had...a glass of champagne.
喝了一杯香槟。
-Tom: She's tough. I'm sure she'll be okay.
tough: 坚强的
她很坚强,肯定会没事的。
-Lynette: How about the crazy married couple, throwing drinks? How are they gonna be?
那对把饮料泼在对方脸上的夫妇呢? 他们会如何?
-Tom: You know, I just thought that you got it, that you knew what I was going through after accident.
我以为你会明白,这场事故后我经历了什么。
You know, obviously I was wrong.
不过显然我错了。
-Lynette: No, I get it.
不,我明白。
The sports car, the garage band...
garage: 车库
买跑车 组乐队...
maybe what we need now, tom, is for you to get it.
Tom 也许现在该你明白一下了。
-Tom: Hey, I was the one lying on the floor with a cop pounding on my chest.
cop: 警察 pound: 猛击 chest: 胸腔
嘿,躺在那里,接受心肺复苏的是我。
-Lynette: And I had cancer. I get it. I get it.
我得过癌症。我懂,我都懂。
You want your life to counter something.
你希望自己的生活更有价值。
-Tom: Exactly.
完全正确。
I just don't want to keep making pizzas, every day till I drop to the floor for real.
drop to the floor: 趴在地板上 for real: 可能的
我不想成天做披萨,直到真的翘辫子。
I want my life to be exciting. You know, I need adventure.
adventure: 冒险
我想让生活激动人心,想要冒险。
-Lynette: Scavo's was the adventure.
披萨店本来就是冒险。
We changed our whole lives so you could live out your dream, and now you're bored.
live out: 实践 bored: 厌烦的
为了让你实现梦想,我们整个生活都变了。现在你玩够了,
We can't keep doing this, tom.
我们不能总这样 Tom。
We can't keep throwing all the cards up in the air every time you get a little restless.
throw the cards: 丢牌;放弃计划 restless: 不安
不能每次你一有什么想法,就全部重新洗牌。
Let's call it a night.
call it a night:【口语】今晚就到此结束,收工
今天就到此为止吧。
We have to work tomorrow.
明天还要上班。
Are you coming?
进不进来?
-Tom: I'll come when I'm ready.
我想明白了再进来。
-Carlos: Did she really need an ambulance?
ambulance: 救护车
她真的严重到要叫救护车了?
-Gabrielle: I don't know.
不知道。
But you would have if I hadn't started my period.
但是要不是我月经来了,你就要救护车了。
How could you have done this?
你怎么能这样?
-Carlos: Isn't it obvious? I want another kid.
不是很明显吗? 我想再要个孩子。
-Gabrielle: We can't handle another kid.
养不起啦。
We're living hand to mouth as it is.
live hand to mouth: 勉强度日;仅供糊口
现在也只够糊口而已。
-Carlos: That's what you said before we had Juanita, and before we had Celia, and somehow we manage.
somehow: 以某种方法 manage: 维持
生Juanita 生Celia之前,你都这么说,但都挺过来。
And can you imagine our lives without them?
image: 想象
你能想象没有她俩的日子吗?
-Gabrielle: Of course I can’t. It's just...how could you have lied to me?
当然不能,可是...你怎么能骗我呢?
-Carlos: I just couldn't shake the idea that maybe god had one more miracle in store for us. Maybe a son.
shake: 【美国口语】摆脱;摒弃 in store: (命运等)等待着
我就是忍不住觉得,上帝会再给我们一个奇迹。没准是个儿子。
And we have so much love in our lives, I got greedy, and I wanted more.
greedy: 贪婪的
我们生命中已经充满爱,我贪心了,想要更多。
But you're right. It was selfish, and stupid, and I am so sorry.
selfish: 自私的 stupid: 愚蠢的
但你说得对,我那样做很蠢很自私,真的很抱歉
I will call tomorrow, and schedule a vasectomy.
schedule: 预定
明天我就去预约结扎
-Gabrielle: Or... we use birth control, and I'm talking double-bagging,
double-bagging【可理解为双重防护 bagging: 装袋】
要不,就用套也行,一次得用两只,
at least until we both decide it's a good idea.
直到咱俩都觉得再要孩子合适。
-Carlos: I think I got to kiss you.
我要吻你了。
-Gabrielle: And until we get a box of condoms in that house, that's all you're getting.
买好安全套前,只许吻啊
-Katherine: Orson. What's up?
Orson 怎么了?
-Orson: Bree told me what you did for her when I was in prison. I just want to Thank You.,
Bree告诉我了,我坐牢时你为她做的一切。真的谢谢你
-Katherine: It's nothing.
没什么。
-Orson: Not to Bree or me.
对Bree和我来说,很重要。
And you were dead right to stop her from telling me.
dead: 无疑的,肯定的
你让她别告诉我,真是太对了。
I'd consider it an honor to work for somebody that wise.
honor: 荣誉
能给这么聪明的人打工,我荣幸之至。
-Katherine: Work for? The last I heard, it was partner.
打工? 上回不是说合伙人吗?
-Orson: All right, how's this? I'll become a partner...but only after you decide I've earned it. I'm a patient man. I don't care if it takes two years.
earn: 应得,值得【前面Dave说到Mrs. Mccluskey值得这样的礼物时,用的是deserve】 patient: 耐心的
嗯,这样如何? 等你觉得我够格了,我再当合伙人。我很有耐心的。
-Katherine: Oh, honey..., working for Bree--you're not gonna last ten months.
last: 持续
孩子,给Bree打工啊...坚持两个月就不错了。
-Dave: Mind if I say good-bye to our girl?
我跟她道个别行吗?
-Policeman: Sure, but she's a little groggy.
groggy: 不清醒的
当然,不过她有点不清醒。
-Mrs. Mccluskey: You planned the whole thing. You're trying to get rid of me.
get rid of: 摆脱
都是你策划的。你想除掉我。
-Dave: Yes. And I'm sorry it had to be you.
是的。对不起啊,给你摊上了'
-Mrs. Mccluskey: Because I know you're up to something--something awful.
awful: 可怕的
因为我知道你有很可怕的阴谋。
-Dave: You don't know what "awful" is.
你根本不知道"可怕"是什么。
You take care of yourself, Karen, and I mean that.
好好照顾自己,Karen,我是真心诚意的。
-Mary Alice: Yes, it was a night filled with surprise.
没错,这是一个充满惊喜的夜晚。
Some had learned of their husbands’ plans for the future.
有人知道了丈夫对未来的计划...
Others had discovered the truth of their wife’s past.
有人发现了妻子的过去...
Some touched by their husband’s secret longings.
有人被丈夫的渴望感动了...
Others were hurt by their lover’s quick departure...
departure: 离开
有人被情人的匆匆离去所伤害...
But for one resident... The evening had come as planed.
resident: 居民
但是对某个人来说, 这个夜晚正在按照他的计划进行着。
And now he turned his thoughts to his real agenda,
turn to: 转向 agenda: 议事日程
现在他可全身心的投入他真正的计划了。
It wouldn’t be long now before he destroyed the man who ruined his life.
destroy: 破坏,毁坏 ruin: 毁灭
用不了多久...他就可以毁掉那个毁了他生活的人。
But he knew he had to move carefully,
但是他知道他必须小心的进行,
after all, he wanted it to be a surprise.
毕竟,他希望这一切是个惊喜。
词汇解析:Sally 校对:Cici



评 论


