看Friends学英语 第六季6, 03集: The One with Ross's Denial
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Joey, Monica, and Phoebe are there as Chandler enters.]
-Chandler: (entering) Hey!
嘿!
-Phoebe: Hey! Check it out! This is unbelievable!
unbelievable: 难以置信的
嘿! 快看啊! 真难以置信!
Joey has been holding his breath for almost four minutes!
hold one's breath: 屏息
Joey已经憋气憋了差不多四分钟!
(We see Joey who has puffed up his cheeks and Chandler nonchalantly reaches down and pinches Joey’s nose shut. In a few seconds, Joey has to move because he’s now forced to actually hold his breath.)
puff: 膨胀 cheek: 脸颊 nonchalantly: 漠不关心地 pinch: 捏 shut: 关闭;缝
be forced to do: 被迫做
-Joey: (To Chandler) Dude! What are yo—you trying to kill me?!
dude: 老兄,大哥
哥们! 你干什么? 想弄死我吗?!
-Rachel: (entering from her room) Pheebs, I wanna ask you something.
Pheebs,我有点事想问你。
-Phoebe: Uh-huh, what?
呃呵,什么事?
-Rachel: Well since I’m movin’out and-and you’re so beautiful…
你看,我就要搬出去了。而且你是这么好的一个人......
-Phoebe: Oh!
哦!
-Rachel: …how about I move in with you?
那......我搬去和你住怎么样?
-Phoebe: Well, that would be great but then what do we do about Denise?
这主意不错,不过那样的话Denise怎么办?
-Monica: Who’s?
Denise是谁?
-Phoebe: My roommate.
我的室友。
-Rachel: You have a roommate?!
你有室友?!
-Phoebe: Yes, Denise!
对,Denise!
-Joey: Hey, what is with the secrecy, Phoebe? Huh? And what about this Denise, is she
cute?
secrecy: 秘密
嘿,有什么不可告人的事吗?Phoebe? Denise是个怎样的人,她可爱吗?
-Chandler: Pheebs, I don’t understand. How can you have a roommate that none of us know about?
Pheebs, 我不明白。怎么可能你有一个室友而我们所有人都不知道呢?
-Phoebe: Maybe because you never listen to anything that I say.
可能是因为你们从来都不用心听我说的话。
I talk about her all the time! DENISE!!!!!
我整天都提到她! DENISE!!!!!
-Joey: Hey Rach, listen I was thinking uh, I’m gonna have an extra room over at my
place…
gonna= going to extra: 额外的
嘿,Rach,我在想,呃,我那里很快会有一个空房间,
-Rachel: Oh, that’s true.
哦,没错。
-Joey: Yeah, why don’t you move in with me? It’ll be great!
是啊,你不如搬过来和我住?那样多好啊!
We could stay up late talking, watch movies, and you know about Naked Thursday’s
right?
naked: 裸体的
我们可以熬夜,聊天,看电影。而且你知道“ 裸体的星期四 ” 吧?
-Rachel: Yeah, yeah I think I’m gonna find my own place.
对,对,我还是自己找地方吧。
-Chandler: Hey-hey! I thought Naked Thursday’s was just our thing man!
喂,喂! 我觉得“ 裸体的星期四 ” 是咱们的私事。
Opening Credits
[Scene: Central Perk, Ross is reading a magazine, eating a cookie, and drinking some coffee as Phoebe enters.]
-Phoebe: Hey.
嘿。
-Ross: Hey!
嘿!
-Phoebe: So, what did Rachel say when you told her you were still married to her?
你告诉Rachel你们还没离婚的时候她怎么说?
-Ross: Oh, that. Umm, she took it really well.
哦,那个啊。她挺高兴的。
-Phoebe: You didn’t tell her did you?
你没告诉她, 对不对?
-Ross: No.
没有。
-Phoebe: Of course not, because you’re in love with her.
当然没有啦,因为你还是爱她的。
-Ross: I am not in love with her. She was very upset about having to move out so I eh,
我已经不爱她了。她因为必须要搬出去,心情很不好。
didn’t tell her we were still married because she could only get more upset.
所以我没有告诉她我们还没离婚,因为那样只会让她更难过。
I-I just comforted her, as a friend.
comfort: 安慰
我只是安慰了她一下,以朋友的身份。
-Phoebe: What do you mean, comforted her?
安慰她?什么意思?
-Ross: It’s nothing, I just gave her a hug.
没什么,拥抱了她一下。
-Phoebe: Ah-ha! A classic sign of love, the hug!
啊哈! 一种经典的爱的表示,拥抱!
-Ross: It’s also a sign of friendship.
可那也是友谊的表示。
-Phoebe: Yeah, not in your case Lovey Loverson. (Tries to take a bite out of Ross’s
cookie.)
【lovey loverson <俚> 痴情男】
但你是不会这么想的,纯情小男生。
-Ross: (grabs back his cookie) It was a hug! OK? A simple hug. I was a friend being a friend to a friend.
grab: 抓 simple: 简单的,纯粹的
只是一个拥抱! 我只是对朋友尽朋友的心意。
-Phoebe: Use the word 'friend' more. Okay, just tell me this, did you or did you not smell
her hair?
那好,告诉我,你有没有闻她的头发?
-Ross: S-s-smell her hair? What if I did?
闻……闻她的头发? 有又怎么样?
-Phoebe: Ninety percent of a women’s pheromones come out the top of her head!
pheromone: 性费洛蒙
女性有90%的信息素是从头顶上散发出来的!
That’s why, that’s why women are shorter. So that men will fall in love when they hug
them!
这就是女人比较矮的原因。这样当男人拥抱她们的时候就会爱上她们。
(Ross is staring at her dumbfounded.) Oh come on Ross, you’re a scientist.
dumbfound: 使人哑然无声
拜托,Ross, 你可是科学家。
-Ross: I was hugging her as a friend. It’s not my fault,her-her hair got in my face,
我只是像朋友一样拥抱她。是她的头发碰到我的脸,又不是我的错,
she’s got a lot of it and it smells all-all uh…coconutty.
coconutty: 椰子香的
她有那么多头发。而且闻上去就像……就像椰子。
(Phoebe raises her eyebrows.) What?! Oh, that doesn’t mean I have feelings for Rachel!
raise one's eyebrows: 皱起眉头 eyebrows: 眉毛 have feelings for sb: 对某人有感觉
这并不意味着我对Rachel还有感觉!
Maybe it means I have feelings for coconuts!
可能这表示我对椰子有感觉!
-Phoebe: (taking his coffee) Okay, whatever you say. But just be careful, all right?
好吧,你怎么说都好。不过你还是小心些,好吧?
Rachel’s not in the same place you are.
Rachel和你的情况不同。
-Ross: (grabbing back his coffee) If the place you are referring to is being in love,
refer to: 提到,谈论,与.......有关,参照
如果你所说的“ 情况 ” 是指处于恋爱中,
then she is in the same place as me because I am not in that place!
那么她和我的情况是相同的因为我的情况不是那样!
-Phoebe: Okay, I didn’t understand that, but y’know, maybe that’s ‘cause you were speaking the secret language of love!
y'know= you know 'cause= because secret: 秘密的
因为我并不是那种情况!我听不懂你说什么。不过我想可能是因为你说的是爱的秘语。
(She goes for his magazine and he grabs it away before she reaches it. But she was only using the magazine as a decoy because she grabs his cookie and coffee, takes a bite out of the cookie and drinks some of the coffee.)
decoy: 诱饵
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Chandler and Monica are there as Joey enters.]
-Joey: Hey! (To Chandler) Dude, some guy just called for you.
嘿! 哥们。刚才有个人打电话给你。
-Chandler: Who was it?
谁啊?
-Joey: I don’t know! How about, "Thanks for taking the message." Jeez! (Exits.)
take the message: 转告留言 jeez : 语气词,天啊,见鬼
我不知道! 可能叫做" 麻烦你告诉他一声 "。见鬼!
-Monica: Okay listen, y’know when you move in Rachel’s room is gonna be empty,
你看,你搬进来之后Rachel的房间就空了,
you wanna talk about what we wanna do with it?
想不想讨论一下我们要怎样布置它?
-Chandler: Sure!
当然!
-Monica: Okay, I was thinking we should have a beautiful guest room, right?
guest room: 客房
好。我想我们需要一间漂亮的客房,对吧?
With a mahogany sleigh bed and bedside tables with flowers on all the time!
mahogany: 红木 sleigh: 雪橇 bedside: 床边 bedside table: 床头柜
里面有桃花心木的豪华大床, 和整天摆着鲜花的边桌!
And we could have a rolltop desk with comment cards on them so people could say how much they loved staying here!!
rolltop desk: 可以合盖之书桌 comment: 意见,评议
我们还可以买一张写字台,上面放些住客意见卡。这样客人就可以告诉我们,他们是多么希望能留在这里!
Okay, whatever, I really haven’t thought about it that much.
好吧,没所谓,其实我还没想到那么远。
-Chandler: Well, I like that idea. Obviously!
obviously: 显而易见地,明显地
嗯,我喜欢这个主意。明显地!
I was thinking maybe-maybe-maybe it could be a game room, y’know?
不过我想我们也许……也许可以把它变成一间游戏机房,
I mean you can buy old arcade games like uh, like Space Invaders and Asteroids for
$200,
arcade games: (游乐场的)电子游戏,街机 invader: 入侵者 asteroid: 小行星
像“太空入侵者” 和“ 小行星” 这样的老的街机,只要200块钱就能买到。
the real ones! The big-big ones!
是真正的街机! 那些大的,大的!
-Monica: No.
不行。
-Chandler: Okay so you mean no as in, "Gee, Chandler, what an interesting idea.
你说“不行” 的时候是不是可以说“天哪" Chandler ,多么有趣的想法。
Let’s discuss it before we reject it completely.
discuss: 讨论 reject: 拒绝,否决 completely: 完全地
让我们先讨论一下,然后再全盘否定它。”
-Monica: Oh, I’m sorry. Of course I mean that. It’s interesting idea, umm, talk about it, but
no.
哦,真抱歉。当然我就是那个意思。很有趣的想法,可以讨论,但是不行。
-Chandler: So, that’s it?
决定了?
-Monica: I just don’t think arcade games go in the beautiful guest room.
go in: 放得进 guest room: 客房
我只是觉得街机不应该出现在美丽的客房里。
The beautiful guest room is gonna be filled with antiques.
be filled with: 被......填满 antique: 古董
美丽的客房应该是摆满古董的。
-Chandler: Which is why Asteroids is perfect! It’s the oldest game!
那摆 “ 小行星 ” 最好不过了! 它是最古老的街机!
-Monica: What do you have against the beautiful guest room?
你为什么不想要一间漂亮的客房?
-Chandler: I don’t have anything against the beautiful guest room,
不不,我并不是不想要一间漂亮的客房。
especially since everybody we know lives about 30 seconds away!
especially: 特别是,尤其是
特别是我们认识的人都住在30秒内能到的地方!
-Monica: Are you mocking me?
mock: 嘲笑
你在嘲笑我吗?
-Chandler: No, I’m not mocking you, (in a mocking voice) or you beautiful guest room. (Exits.)
没有,我没有嘲笑你,还有你漂亮的客房。
[Scene: Chandler and Joey's, Chandler is coming from across the hall.]
hall: 大厅,大堂
-Joey: Hey, what’s up?
嘿,怎么了?
-Chandler: Nothing, Monica and I had a stupid fight.
have a fight: 争吵
没什么,Monica和我有些愚蠢的争吵。
-Joey: But you’re still moving in together, right? Because my ad came out today. (Shows him the paper.)
但你们还是要一起住的,对吧?因为我的广告今天登出来了。
-Chandler: (reading the ad) "Wanted. Female roommate, non-smoker, non-ugly." Nice!
wanted: 通缉
通缉。“女性室友,不吸烟,不丑陋”。很好!
-Joey: Yeah? I just figured y’know, after living with you it’d be an interesting change of pace to have a female roommate, y’know?
figure: 弄明白,认为 change of pace: 改变活动,换口味,改变习惯 female: 女性
是吧?我只是觉得跟你住了这么久,如果能有个女性室友会是个很有趣的改变。不是吗?
Someone I can learn from, someone-someone who’s different than me.
一个我能向她学习的人,一个和我不一样的人。
And what’s more different than me: a guy who’s not 19 than say a girl who is 19? Enh?
哪一个和我更不一样呢?一个不是19岁的男人当然不如一个19岁的女孩,对不对?
(Points to his head.) Not just a hat rack my friend!
hat rack: 帽架
我的脑袋可不只是个帽架!
[Scene: Central Perk, Phoebe is on the couch staring off into space as Rachel enters.]
stare off into space: 发呆
-Rachel: Pheebs, I have to ask you…
Pheebs, 我一定要问问你......
-Phoebe: Shhhhhh! I’m swamped right now.
swamp: 使不堪承受,使应接不暇;淹没
嘘!我现在很忙。
-Rachel: You’re just staring into space.
stare into: 凝视
你只是盯着空气。
-Phoebe: Umm, I’m trying to move that pencil. (There’s a pencil lying on the table.)
我想试着移动铅笔。
-Rachel: This one? (Picks it up.)
pick up: 拿起,捡起;(顺道去)接
这支吗?
-Phoebe: It worked!
成功了!
-Rachel: Pheebs, this whole apartment thing is a nightmare!
nightmare: 噩梦
Pheebs, 找房子真像一场噩梦!
Every place I can afford comes with a roommate who is a freak. I mean, look at this,
come with: 伴随...发生 freak: 怪人,怪胎
每一个我住得起的地方都有一个怪胎室友。瞧这个,
(Points to one and starts to read it.) "Wanted. Female roommate, non-smoker, non-
ugly."
smoker: 吸烟者, ugly: 丑陋的
“ 通缉。女性室友,不吸烟,不丑陋” 。
-Phoebe: That's probably some 12-year-old kid trying to get girls to call.
那很想那些十二岁的小屁孩想要找的女孩。
-Rachel: It’s just, there is nothing! The city’s full!
简直没的选择!这个城市已经挤满了!
-Phoebe: Wait, no, look at this! (Points to one.) (Reading)
等等,看看这个!
"Two bedroom, two bath, must be non-smoker, Satan worshippers okay…"
Satan: 撒旦 worshipper: 膜拜者
“ 两间卧室,两间浴室,要求不吸烟,撒旦崇拜者亦可.......”
Oh, yeah, but it’s on the ground floor.
ground floor: 第一层
可惜……是在地下。
-Ross: (entering) Hey!
嘿!
-Rachel: Hey.
嘿。
-Ross: Uh, you still looking for a place?
Rach, 你还在找房子吗?
-Rachel: Yeah! Why?
是啊。
-Ross: Okay, there’s this guy, Warren,
我们博物馆有个叫Warren的,
from the museum and he’s going on a dig for like two years and he’s got this great place he needs to sublet.
sublet: 转租
他要出去做两年的挖掘工作。他的房子很不错,现在想转租,
So uh, you interested?
你有兴趣吗?
-Rachel: That sounds great! I’d love to live at’s!! I love Warren!
太好了! 我愿意住Warren的房子!我爱Warren!
Thank you! Oh, wait. Is he the guy that asked you for naked pictures of me?
谢谢你! 等等,是他跟你要我的裸照吗?
That doesn't matter, he won't be there! Thank you!
反正他要走了。谢谢!
-Ross: Don’t thank me! If you wanna thank something, thank the volcano that erupted thousands of years ago,
volcano:火山 erupt: 喷发
别谢我! 要谢就谢那次几千年前的火山喷发吧,
killing but perfectly preserving an entire civilization.
perfectly: 完美地,极好地 preserve: 保存,保护 entire: 完整的 civilization: 文明
毁灭了同时也极好地保存了一个完整的文明遗迹。
(Rachel just looks at him.) Here’s Warren’s number.
这是Warren的电话。
-Rachel: Oh, this is great! I am gonna call him right now! (Jumps up.) Oh, thank you!
哦,太好了!我现在就打给他!哦,谢谢你!
(She hugs him and he starts to hug her back but notices the look Phoebe is giving him and pushes her away.)
notice: 注意到 push away: 推到一边去
-Ross: Okay, you go grab it!
好了,快去吧!
-Phoebe: I saw it.
我都看见了。
-Ross: I don’t know what you’re talking about.
不知道你说什么。
-Phoebe: Umm, I’m talking about that which you already know but won’t admit.
我在说些你心里明白, 却不肯承认的事。
You love her again; you re-love her!
re-love: 重新爱上,旧情复燃
你又爱上她了,你旧情复燃!
-Ross: Look, I do not re-love her.
我没有旧情复燃!
-Phoebe: I can’t believe you won’t just admit it! (Pause)
真不敢相信,你就是不肯承认!
Okay, just promise me that you won’t do anything stupid.
好吧,答应我, 不要做出任何愚蠢的事。
-Ross: Look, we’re just friends now! Okay? Why would I do anything stupid?
我们现在只是朋友!我为什么会做出愚蠢的事?
-Rachel: (returning from calling Warren) Ugh!!! Well, the apartment is already subletted!
哦!!! 他那间已经转租掉了!
I mean, this is just hopeless. I’m never gonna find anything.
hopeless: 绝望的
没希望了!我永远找不到房子了。
-Ross: You can live with me.
你可以和我一起住。
-Rachel: What?!
什么?
-Phoebe: What?!
什么?
-Ross: What?
什么?
Commercial Break
commercial: 商业的 commercial break: 广告时间
[Scene: Central Perk, continued from earlier.]
continue: 继续
-Rachel: Oh my God! Are you serious?!
哦上帝!你说真的?!
-Ross: Uh-huh. (Phoebe grunts.)
grunt: 咕哝
嗯哼。
-Rachel: I would love to live with you Ross; that’s-that’s great! Thank you!
我很乐意跟你一起住,Ross,那样太好了!谢谢你!
-Ross: Well, I’m-I’m just glad I could, y’know, help you out.
help sb out: 帮助某人
我也挺高兴,因为能帮到你。
-Phoebe: Wow! I’m-I’m so happy for you guys. (To Ross) This is so-so, not stupid.
Wow! 我真为你们高兴。这真是太~~~~不愚蠢了。
-Rachel: Ross-Ross, you have no idea what this means to me!
Ross,你不知道这对我来说意义有多大!
I mean, I mean I was gonna be homeless. You just saved me! You’re my hero!
homeless: 无家可归的
在我就要无家可归的时候,你救了我!你是我的英雄!
-Ross: Hero, I uh, I don’t know—well, all right.
英雄?也不算……就算是吧。
-Rachel: Oh, I have to go tell Monica what a wonderful brother she has! (Kisses him on the cheek and exits.)
我要告诉Monica她有个多好的哥哥!
-Ross: Oh please! (He sits down.) (To Phoebe) You’re gonna say things now, aren’t ya?
别这样!你没有话要说吗?
-Phoebe: No. No, I won’t. But I should tell you this, this exact same thing happened to my roommate Denise.
没有,没有。不过我要告诉你,同样的事情也曾发生在我室友Denise身上,
She moved in with a guy who was secretly married to her and he said he didn’t love her,
她搬去和一个暗地里没有和她离婚的男人一起住,他说他不爱她了,
but he really did, and it just blew up!
blew up: 爆发
但其实还是爱的。终于感情爆发!
And that’s how she ended up living with me! (Ross looks at her.) (Pause) Okay, that’s a
lie.
因此她不再和我一起住了!我承认,是我瞎编的。
-Ross: You don't have a roommate.
你才没有室友。
-Phoebe: Denise! No one ever listens to me!
Denise! 都没有人听我讲话!
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Monica is in the kitchen as Chandler enters.]
-Chandler: Hi.
嗨。
-Monica: Hi.
嗨。
-Chandler: Hi, listen, I’m sorry about before. I don’t need to have a game room.
我为刚才的事道歉,我并不需要一间游戏机房。
I mean when I was a kid I only played those games because I couldn’t get girls,
小时侯我玩那些游戏只是因为我找不到女朋友。
and now I can get‘em—Now, I have you. (Monica glares at him.)
现在不会了。我有你了。
Not-not that I think that I have you or think of you as property in any sort of way, I see
women…
property: 财产 in any sort: 无论如何
我的意思不是把你看作财产,不是那个意思。我尊重女性.......
-Monica: Stop it Chandler. (Chandler is relieved) I’m sorry too.
够了Chandler。我也很抱歉。
-Chandler: Really?
真的?
-Monica: Yeah! Oh yes!
对!
-Chandler: Ohh.
哦。
-Monica: Listen, we don’t have to make that a guest room,
我们并不需要把它变成客房。
we can think of something to do with the room together.
我们可以一起来想想怎样改造这间房子。
-Chandler: That’s a great idea! We can easily think of a way for us both to enjoy the room.
好主意!应该很容易就能想到些我们都乐意用这间房子来做的事情。
-Monica: Totally!
totally: 完全,全部地
完全同意!
(They start thinking.)
-Chandler: We don’t have to come up with this now.
come up with: 提出,想出某事
我们没必要现在就讨论。
-Monica: Oh good.
好的。
-Chandler: Hey, y’know what? Why don’t we think about changes we can make in the living room?
living room: 起居室
嘿,我们不如来想想可以对起居室做哪些变动吧?
-Monica: Changes?
变动?
-Chandler: Yeah, I mean we’re gonna have to move around some furniture to make room for my chair. (Kisses her and heads into the living room.)
move around: 迁移 furniture: 家私 make room for: 为…腾出空间
对,我们应该挪一下家具。好为我的椅子腾个地方。你要把你的懒汉躺椅搬过来?
-Monica: You’re-you’re-you’re gonna bring the Barcalounger over here?
Barcalounger: 可调式的躺椅
你要把懒人椅搬过来?
-Chandler: Is that a problem?
不行吗?
-Monica: Well, it’s just there is a set and they should probably stay together.
set: 一套
那是一对。它们最好能呆在一起。
-Chandler: Oh, that’s cool. Then I’ll just bring them both over.
有道理,那我就把两个都搬过来。
-Monica: See now-now you’re taking them away from their home.
away from home: 离乡背井
可那样你就让它们背井离乡了。
-Chandler: Okay, I get it. So, I get nothing! Nothing here is mine! Everything here is yours!
我明白了。在这里我不能拥有任何东西!这里的一切都是你的!
I’ll get up in the morning put on your clothes, and head off to work!
早晨起来,我得穿上你的衣服,走出去上班!
-Monica: Yeah-yeah, y’know what? Yeah, that’s it-that’s it, everything will be mine!
对,对,你说的对,什么都是我的,
Nothing will be yours! That’s-that’s what I said! Oh come on, Chandler!
你什么都没有!我就是这个意思!拜托,Chandler!
I’m talking about the barcalounger! It just, it doesn’t match! Where is it gonna go?!
我只是在讨论躺椅的问题!它摆在这里不合适!你打算把它放在哪儿呢?
-Chandler: In the game room!
游戏机房!
-Monica: Look it is not my fault that your chairs are incredibly ugly!
incredibly: 令人难以置信地,极端地
这不能怪我,是你的椅子丑到极点!
-Chandler: All right! That’s fine! That’s fine! I won’t bring over the chairs!
好,我听你的!听你的!我不把椅子搬过来!
I won’t bring anything over! I wouldn’t want to ruin the ambiance over here at Grandma’s place!! (Storms out.)
ruin: 毁灭,破坏 Ambiance: 气氛 storm out: 冲出去
我什么也不搬过来!我不想破坏婆婆房间里的气氛!
[Scene: Chandler and Joey's, Joey is interviewing a potential roommate. And yes, she’s a female, non-smoker and very non-ugly.]
Interview: 面谈,采访,面试 potential: 潜在的,可能的
-Joey: (exiting from Chandler’s room with the new roommate) Everything on your application looks really good—Ohh!
application: 申请
你申请表里的各项条件都不错。噢!
Just one last question umm, are you and your friends gonna be over here all the time like partying and hanging out?
hang out: 常去某处,泡在某处
最后一个问题,你和你朋友会经常到这儿来聚会、开party吗?
-The Potential Roommate: Oh don’t worry, I’m not really a party girl.
哦不用担心,我并不是派对动物。
-Joey: Whoa!! Now look, don’t be just blurting stuff out.
blurt: 突然说出
Whoa!! 不要想都不想就脱口而出,
I want you to really think about your answers. Okay?
我希望你认真考虑之后再回答,好吗?
-Chandler: (entering) You can call off the roommate search! (To the potential roommate)
call off: 取消放弃
别再找室友了!
Hi! I’ll be living here. (Heads for the bathroom.)
嗨!我会住在这里。
-Joey: Oh don’t listen to him, he’s just some guy who really wants the apartment, but I don’t think he’s gonna get it.
别听他胡说,他只是个很想住进来的家伙,可我不会让他住的。
-Chandler: Why did you take the shower curtain down?
shower curtain: 浴帘
为什么把浴帘拆下来?
-Joey: That thing was a hazard! (To the potential roommate) I’m very safety conscious.
hazard: 危险 conscious: 有意识的,慎重的
挂着太危险了!我的安全意识很强。
[Scene: Ross’s Apartment, Rachel is entering and Ross is making some room on the shelves for his stuff.]
shelves: shelf 的复数形式,柜子
-Rachel: Hey!
嘿!
-Ross: Hey! Oh listen, I was just clearing some space for your stuff.
嘿! 我正在帮你的东西腾些地方。
-Rachel: Oh thanks, but listen, I was just at Monica’s and she and Chandler had a big fight and they’re not moving in.
哦谢谢。不过我刚从Monica那儿过来,她和Chandler大吵了一架,他们不会一起住了。
-Ross: What do you mean, they’re not moving in? They-they’re still moving in right?
什么?他们不一起住了?他们还是要一起住的对吧?
-Rachel: No-no, they just had a big blowout over what to do with my room.
blowout: 爆炸
不会了,他们因为怎么弄我的房间大吵了一架。
-Ross: What?! Over a stupid room!
什么?! 为了一个可笑的房间!
-Rachel: Yeah, I know I feel kinda bad for them, but I’m also really psyched ‘cause I don’t have to move in here!
kinda= kind of,有点儿 psyched: 兴奋,殷切期待
对,我为他们难过,可同时我又很高兴,因为我不用搬到这里了!
-Ross: Oh no, yeah no, that part’s great!
哦对,对,这部分结果是不错的!
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Ross is entering, dragging Chandler, to mediate the argument between Chandler and Monica.]
mediate: 调停 argument: 争吵,争执
-Ross: What’s all this about you guys fighting?! Is this really over a room?! I mean, that is so
silly!
你们到底吵个什么?!就为了一个房间?!太傻了!
-Monica: Ross, we can handle this.
Ross, 我们自己能解决。
-Ross: Well, apparently not,
apparently: 显然地
很明显你们不能。
and I can’t just stand by and watch two people I care about so much be hurt by something that is so silly.
我不能眼看着我最关心的两个人这样互相伤害,而原因又是这么的可笑!
I mean, enough of the silliness!
silliness: 愚蠢
我想说,别再做傻事了!
-Chandler: Well, why don’t you tell her to stop being silly! (Monica mocks him and he joins in.)
你干吗不告诉她别再做这种傻事!
-Ross: (stopping them) Okay-okay! Two very good points, look I’ve known you both a long
time,
够了够了!这就是两个很重要的原因。我认识你们两个这么久,
and I’ve never seen either of you one/millionth as happy as you’ve been since you’ve got together.
拍拖以前你们最大的快乐,也不及现在的万分之一,
Do you really want to throw that all away over a room? That is so silly.
你们难道真的要只为了一间房子而放弃所有这一切吗?太傻了。
Now wh-what is more important, love or silliness?
哪一个更重要?爱情,还是发傻?
-Chandler: Well, we are fond of the silliness, but we also have a soft spot for the love.
soft spot: 弱点
我们喜欢做傻事,但我们更看重爱情。
-Monica: Love is the best medicine.
medicine: 药物
爱情是最好的药品。
-Chandler: That’s laughter.
那是欢笑。
-Monica: Why do you do it?
你找茬吗?
-Chandler: I don’t know.
是又怎么样。
-Ross: Okay! All right! Now, Chandler you-you wanna live with Monica, right?
好了!好了! Chandler,你愿意和Monica住在一起吗?
-Chandler: Yeah, I do.
我愿意。
-Ross: And Mon, you wanna live with Chandler, don’t ya?
Mon, 你愿意和Chandler住在一起的,对吗?
-Monica: Yes.
我愿意。
-Ross: (jumping up) Good! A verbal contract is binding in the state of New York! (Storms out.)
verbal contract: 口头契约 bind: 束缚约束
好极了! 一个口头契约在纽约州达成了!
[Scene: Central Perk, Rachel is sitting at the counter waiting for Gunther, yep Gunther’s back, to refill her coffee.]
counter: 柜台 Refill: 再装满
-Gunther: So I understand you’re looking for a place.
understand: 闻知
我听说你在找房子。
-Rachel: No-no, I’m staying put.
stay put: 留在原地
不,我不用搬出去了。
-Gunther: Oh, I was going to offer you my apartment.
哦,我是想问你愿不愿意住我那里。
-Rachel: Why, where are you going?
那你住哪里?
-Gunther: I don’t know.
我不知道。
-Ross: (entering) Hey Rach!
嘿Rach!
-Rachel: Hi!
嘿!
-Ross: You’re never gonna believe it uh, Monica and Chandler are moving in again.
说出来你一定不信,Monica 和Chandler又打算搬到一起了。
That’s great news right—I mean for them. Right?
真是个好消息!我的意思是对于他们,是吧?
-Rachel: Oh wow.
哦wow。
-Ross: Yeah but, on the bright side, we get to be roommates again.
bright side: 亮点
不过从好的一面来想,我们又有机会做室友了。
-Rachel: Yeah. Y’know umm, uh, umm, about that, umm,
嗯,不过,你也知道,那个,
Ross I really appreciate your offer to let me move in and everything, but don’t you think it’s gonna be weird?
weird: 奇怪的
Ross,我很感激你让我搬到你那里。可你不觉得有点怪怪的吗?
-Ross: Wh-why?! Why-why-why would it, why would it be weird?
为为为什么?! 为什么你会觉得怪怪的呢?
-Rachel: Well, because of us! Because of our history.
因为我们啊!我们的恋爱史。
-Ross: No!
不会!
-Rachel: No?
不会?
-Ross: No! No! It would be weird if we were still in that place, I mean are you still in that place?
不会! 不会! 如果我们还是和以前一样,我才会觉得不自在。你还和以前一样吗?
-Rachel: No! Not at all!
不! 完全不同了!
-Ross: Good! Me neither! So it’s not a problem.
好极了! 我也是! 所以那已经不是问题了。
We’re just two friends who happen to be roommates.
我们只是两个普通朋友,碰巧要住在一起。
-Rachel: Okay, but Ross, eventually you and I are gonna be dating.
有道理,可是,Ross,慢慢地我们会开始约会。
-Ross: Really?! We are?
真的吗?! 我们会吗?
-Rachel: Yeah! I’m gonna have a boyfriend, you’re gonna have a girlfriend…
当然了!我会有个男朋友,你会有个女朋友.......
-Ross: Ohh! That would be great.
哦!那可太好了。
-Rachel: But y’know what, if you think it’s gonna be okay we’ll just work out a system.
system: 系统
不过,要是你愿意,我们可以想个办法互不干扰,
Y’know, it’ll be like college, I’ll hang a hanger on the door and put a sign,
hanger: 衣架
就像在大学的时候,我在门上挂个衣架,贴张纸条:
"Come back later, I’m getting lucky." (Laughs.)
“ 等一会儿再回来吧,我正在蜜运中”。
-Ross: (laughs as well, but for a different reason) Yeah, I didn’t think of that.
我没想到那个。
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Chandler is once again being dragged in by Ross,he can try to manipulate the situation so that it’s best for Ross, not necessarily what’s best for Monica and Chandler.]
manipulate: 操纵 necessarily: 必然地,不可避免地
-Ross: So are you sure about this whole moving-in thing?! I mean it’s a really big step! And-and what’s the rush?!
你们想清楚了要住在一起吗?这实在是一个太大的转变!干吗这么着急呢?!
(They both start laughing at him.)
laugh at: 嘲笑
-Monica: That’s very funny!
真好笑!
-Chandler: He’s being silly, because he knows that we enjoy the silliness!
他故意发傻,因为他知道我们喜欢傻事!
-Ross: No, I-I-I’m serious, okay? I mean, think about it.
不,我是认真的!仔细考虑一下。
You move in, you start fighting over stupid game rooms, next thing y’know you break up!
你们住在一起,为无聊的游戏机房争吵,然后你们就会分手!
-Monica: you were right before, it was just a stupid fight about a room.
Ross,你以前说的很对,为房间争吵确实很蠢。
-Ross: Okay, there are no stupid fights!! This isn’t about the room, this is about what the room…represents!
represent: 代表,象征
一点也不愚蠢!!这可是关于房间。关于房间所象征的一切!
And unfortunately, this room (Points to Rachel’s room) could destroy you!!
很不幸,这小小房间会毁了你们!!
-Chandler: Yeah, I'm not so worried.
可我不担心。
-Monica: Yeah, no, me neither.
我也是。
-Ross: Fine! It’s your life! (Starts to storm out mad about his failed attempt at the manipulation of his best friend and sister, but stops and tries one last time.)
failed: 失败的 attempt: 肠坏死
好吧! 这是你们的人生!
I just don’t want to see you guys break up! Which you will do if you move in together, (Monica and Chandler just stare at him.)
break up: 分手
我只是不想眼睁睁看你们分手!如果你们住在一起,这是注定的。
but that’s what you want, there’s nothing I can do.
可惜你们就是要这样,我也管不了了。
(Opens the door and tries one more time.) DON’T DO IT!!!!! (Finally leaves.)
不要一起住!!!!!
-Monica: You still want to move in together right?
你还是会搬过来吧?
-Chandler: Of course!
那当然!
-Monica: Ross didn’t scare you?
scare: 惊吓,使害怕
Ross没吓到你吗?
-Chandler: Scared me out of ever wanting to live with him.
吓得我永远不敢和他一起住。
-Monica: Come here, I want to show you something!
过来,给你看样东西!
-Chandler: Okay!
好的!
(They run to the living room where Monica has moved the chair back (Towards the step), the coffee table forward (Towards the TV), and taped a square outline on the floor.)
towards: 朝向 steps: 台阶 tape: 用胶带贴 outline: 轮廓,线
-Chandler: Oh my God! Someone’s killed Square Man!
哦上帝! 有人在这里杀死了一个方形人!
-Monica: This is where I thought the Barcalounger could go!
这是我为你的懒汉躺椅安排的地方!
You see you could see the TV and it’s still walking distance to the kitchen.
在这儿你可以看电视,而且几步就能走到厨房。
-Chandler: Oh that’s so sweet! I want to show you something too!
你想的真周到! 我也给你看样东西!
-Monica: Okay!
好啊!
-Chandler: Y’know those big-big uh, road signs that say "Merge?"
road sign: 交通标志 merge: 结合,合并,融合
你见过那些大大的,上面写着“ 汇合” 的路标吗?
-Monica: Uh-hmm.
呃哼。
-Chandler: Y’know? So I was thinking that we could get one of those signs and hang it over our bed.
我在想,我们不如也弄一块来挂在床头吧。
Because, that’s you and I together! Merge!
因为我们住在一起了! 汇合!
-Monica: Oh my God! I love that!
哦!我喜欢!
-Chandler: Really?!
真的?!
-Monica: Uh, no!!
呃,假的!!
[Scene: Central Perk, Phoebe is singing a new song. Yep, the first new Phoebe song of season six, Ross, Joey, and Rachel are also there.]
-Phoebe: (singing) I found you in my bed!
我在我的床上发现你!
How’d you whined up there?
How’d you whined up there?
whine: 哭哭啼啼 up there: 在那
你为什么要在那哭哭啼啼的?
You are a mystery!
You are a mystery!
mystery: 神秘,神奇
你真是个奇迹!
Little black curly hair!
Little black curly hair!
curly: 卷曲的
可爱的黑色卷发!
Little black curly hair!
Little black curly hair!
可爱的黑色卷发!
Little black, little black, little black, little black, little black curly hair…
Little black, little black, little black, little black, little black curly hair…
可爱的黑色,可爱的黑色,小卷发......
(Applause.)
applause: 鼓掌,喝彩
-Phoebe: Now if you want to receive e-mails about my upcoming shows,
receive: 收到 upcoming: 即将到来的
如果你们想收到有关我今后演出的email,
then please give me money so I can buy a computer.
请给我点钱,这样我才能买电脑。
-Ross: (To Rachel) So umm, where are the other guys?
其他的人呢?
-Rachel: Umm, well let’s see are occupied.
occupied: 忙着的
Monica 和 Chandler正忙着。
-Ross: Fighting?!
吵架?!
-Rachel: No, the other thing. I really think it’s great they work things out.
不,另一件事。真高兴他们和好了。
-Ross: Yeah. There’s no breaking them up, is there?
对,恐怕也没有什么办法能把他们分开了,对吧?
-Rachel: Hey, can I borrow the key to your house so I can run across the street and make a
copy?
嘿,能借用一下你的钥匙吗,我好到街对面去配一把。
-Ross: Sure! Here. (Hands her his keys.)
好啊,给你。
-Rachel: Thank you. (Gets up) Now are you sure? Because once I make a copy, there’s no turning back.
turn back: 回头,反悔
谢谢。考虑清楚了吗?我要是配了,你就没的后悔咯。
-Ross: Yeah, I’m-I’m sure. (Deadpan) Yeah, get out of here before I change my mind. (She
exits)
对,我想清楚了。趁我还没改变主意,赶快去吧。
-Joey: Umm, listen, Ross do you really think this moving in with Rachel is a good idea?
Ross,你真的觉得和Rachel一起住会是件好事吗?
-Ross: I’ve been back and forth.
back and forth: 前后来回,进退两难
我正进退两难。
-Joey: Yeah well, maybe you should go back! Okay?
恐怕会昨日重现!你想想,
Rachel moves in, and before you know it you’re right where you don’t want to be!
Rachel一住进来,你就会稀里糊涂地掉进情网!
Back together!
再次拍拖!
-Ross: Ehh, I don’t, I don’t think so. She’s already talked about y’know, dating other guys.
呃,不,我不觉得。她已经开始提到约会其他人。
-Joey: That’s not gonna work out!
这也不是办法啊!
Then she’s gonna come home all weepy and you’ll be telling her,
weepy: 眼泪汪汪的
一旦她眼泪汪汪地回到家,你就会安慰她,
"Oh that’s okay. You’ll find someone." And then, bang! She finds you!
“哦,别伤心了,你会遇见合适的人。” 结果,哈! 她找上你了!
-Ross: Yeah, well, m-maybe you’re right.
嗯,也许你是对的。
-Joey: I am telling you Ross, she is definitely gonna fall in love with you again!
definitely: 肯定,没问题;准确地
我告诉你,Ross,她一准儿会再次爱上你!
Now, is that what you want?
这是你想要的结局吗?
-Ross: Is that what I want?
这会是我想要的吗?
-Phoebe: (on the microphone, accidentally) Yes.
microphone: 咪,麦克风 accidentally: 意外地
是的。
(Rachel enters.)
-Joey: Here she comes. Hold on, I’m gonna make your life much easier.
她来了,记着啊,我只是想让你活得轻松点。
-Rachel: All right, well the place was closed. I’ll just copy it later.
那家店关门了,我以后再配吧。
-Joey: Or not. Uh, Rach, why don’t you just move in with me? (Rachel sighs.)
干脆别配了。Rach, 干吗不搬来和我住?
-Ross: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa, Joey!
哇!哇!哇, Joey!
-Joey: No-no-no-no-no-no-no-no… It’s okay, I mean I—look Rach,
不不不不,别担心。Rach,我知道,
I know I scared you off with that whole Naked Thursday’s thing, but we don’t have to do that!
“ 裸体的星期四 ” 吓着你了。可我们没必要一定要搞那个啊!
-Rachel: Well, it would be easier to move just right across the hall.
嗯,搬到对门确实方便很多。
Wait a minute, unless you’re thinking about Naked Wednesday’s.
等一下,你不是想搞个“ 裸体的星期三” 吧?
-Joey: Thursday’s clearly not good for ya, pick a day!
很明显你不喜欢星期四,挑一天嘛!
Commercial Break
[Scene: Chandler and Joey's, Joey has The Potential Roommate back for another interview.]
potential: 可能的 interview: 面试
-Joey: (opening the door to The Potential Roommate) Hi!
嗨!
-The Potential Roommate: Hi!
嗨!
-Joey: Come in. Thanks for comin’back, umm,
请进。谢谢你赶过来。
okay there have been a lot of people interested in the room, but I have narrowed it down and you are one of the finalists!
narrow: 窄的 narrow down: 使变窄,减少,缩减 finalist: 最后参赛者
很多人都想住进这间房子,不过我淘汰了很多。你进入了决赛!
-The Potential Roommate: Great!
太好了!
-Joey: Okay now, before I make my decision I uh, I just want to make sure our personalities match.
personality: 个性,性格 match: 配合,吻合
现在,在我做最后决定之前,为了确保我们兴趣相合,
Okay, so I made up a little test.
我准备了些小测验。
Now, I’m gonna say a word and then you say the first thing that comes to mind.
我说一个词,然后你说出你由此想到的第一个词。
-The Potential Roommate: I can do that.
挺简单的。
-Joey: Okay! Here we go. Pillow.
好的!开始了。枕头。
-The Potential Roommate: Fight.
枕头大战。
-Joey: Very good! Okay. G.
很好! G。
-The Potential Roommate: String?
string: 细线,丁字裤
丁字内裤?
-Joey: Excellent! Okay umm, doggy.
太棒了!狗。
-The Potential Roommate: Kitten?
猫?
-Joey: Ooh, sorry! No-no-no, so close though, but—bye-bye! (He ushers her out the door.)
usher: 把......引到
哦!对不起。不对不对,虽然很接近,再见!
词汇翻译:Danielle 校对: Charlotte Kwok



评 论


