看老友记学英语第九季 01集:The One Where No One Proposes
[Scene: Rachel's Room, Joey moves Ross's coat to get the tissues Rachel wants and the engagement ring box Mrs. Geller gave him falls out of the pocket it was inside. Joey goes to one knee, picks up the box, opens it, and sees that it's an engagement ring.]
tissue: 纸巾 engagement ring: 订婚戒指 fall out of: 从...掉下来 knee: 膝,膝盖 pick up: 拾起,捡起
-Rachel: Joey.
Joey
(He turns to face Rachel on one knee with the box open.)
-Rachel: (seeing the ring) Oh my God. (Pause) Okay.
啊,天呀!我愿意。
(Joey is stunned.)
stunned: 惊愕的
[Cut to Ross getting off an elevator carrying a bouquet of flowers and walking down the hall to Rachel's room.]
elevator: 电梯 a bouquet of flowers: 一束花
[Cut back into Rachel's room.]
-Rachel: So uh - I guess we should - make it official huh?
official: 正式的,官方的
那么,嗯。我想我们应该做的正式一些,哼?
-Joey: Uh - Look Rach - (Ross enters.) Hey Ross is here! Hey look! It's my good friend Ross. Hey Ross.
嗯,听我说,Rachel。嘿,Ross来了!嘿! 是我好朋友Ross。
-Ross: Hey Joey. (To Rachel) Hey you.
嘿,Joey。
-Rachel: Hey you.
嘿。
-Joey: Hey and look he brought flowers. Thanks Ross, but I'm really more of a candy kind of guy. (Laughs.)
candy:糖果
看,他带来鲜花。罗斯,谢谢。但我实际上更喜欢糖果。
-Ross: You're weird today. (He turns to Rachel and Joey puts the ring back.)
weird:奇怪的,怪异的
你今天好怪。
(To Rachel) Listen I uh, wanted to talk to you about something.
talk to:谈话
听着,我今天想和你谈些事。
-Rachel: Uh yeah, actually I kinda need to talk to you too.
kinda=king of 有一点
对了,实际上,我也有些事想和你说。
-Ross: Uh Joey, can you give us just a minute?
Jive me one minute:【give sb. some time:可用来表示找某人说会话,让旁边的人避让一下】
Joey,可以让我们俩单独待会吗?
-Joey: No.
不行。
-Ross: What?
嗯?
-Joey: Oh, I'm sorry. I meant no.
喔,对不起. 我的意思是说..不行。
-Monica: (entering with everyone else including Mr. Geller) Hi! Hey look who's here!
including: 包括
看看谁在这里!
-Mr. Geller: Where's my granddaughter? I've been practicing my magic tricks.
granddaughter: 孙女,外孙女 magic trick: 魔术,戏法
我孙女在哪里?我一直在练习我的魔术。
-Chandler: He pulled a quarter out of my ear!
pull: 拉,拖 quarter: 美国或加拿大二角五分的硬币
他从我耳朵里拽出一枚硬币!
-Ross: Hey, where's uh, where's mom?
咦?我妈妈怎么没来?
-Mr. Geller: She went to pick up Aunt Liddy.
pick up: 中途搭人
她接Liddy姑妈去了
-Monica: Oh, Aunt Liddy's coming? That means we get five dollars each!
哦,Liddy姑妈也来?那意味着我们每个人都会得到5块钱!
-Mr. Geller: So when do I get to meet Emma and show her this? (Pulls a bouquet of flowers out of his sleeve.)
a bouquet of flowers: 一束花 sleeve: 袖子,衣袖
那我什么时候能看见Emma,好给她表演这个?
-Chandler: Okay. Wow.
好啊。
-Ross: Uh Dad, Emma's in the nursery. I'll take you now. If you want, but (To Rachel) I really want to talk to you.
nursery: 哺育室,育婴室
爸, Emma在婴儿室。如果你想,我现在就带你去..我真的很想你和聊聊。
-Rachel: I know, I still need to talk to you.
我知道, 我也需要和你谈谈。
-Joey: Oh hey but, before you guys do that (To Rachel) I need to talk to you, and Ross, I need to talk to you.
guy: (男)人,家伙
但是在你们聊之前,我需要和你谈谈。Ross,还有你,我们也需要谈谈。
-Phoebe: (To Monica) Oh and I need to talk to you.
喔,我需要和你说点事。
-Monica: About what?
什么事?
-Phoebe: To see if you know what these guys are talking about.
talk about: 谈论
看看你知不知道他们在说些什么。
[Scene: Outside the Nursery, everyone but Rachel is standing and looking into the
window.]
outside: 在...外面 look into: 观察
-Monica: Isn't she beautiful?
beautiful: 美丽的,漂亮的
她真美丽。
-Mr. Geller: Look at her, my first grandchild.
look at: 看 grandchild: 孙子,孙女
你看她,我的第一个孙女。
-Ross: What about Ben?
what about: ...怎么样
那Ben算什么?
-Mr. Geller: Well of course Ben, I meant my first granddaughter. (To Monica, mouths) Wow.
of course: 当然,自然
Ben当然是啦,我是说孙女。
-Monica: God, isn't she beautiful? Doesn't she look just like Rachel?
look like: 看起来像
天啊,她很漂亮啊,她看起来很像Rachel吧?
-Chandler: I know everybody keeps saying that, but all I see is Vin Diesel.
keep doing sth.: 一直做某事 Vin Diesel: 范·迪塞尔,星际传奇男主角
我知道别人都这么说,但我觉得她像Vin Diesel。
-Monica: What do you think our baby will look like?
你觉得我们的宝贝会是什么样啊?
-Chandler: Oh, God. Please You. But it'll have my sense of humor.
sense of humor n.幽默感
哦,天哪。但这很好笑。
-Monica: umm.
嗯。
-Phoebe: (taking Ross aside) Have umm, have you thought anymore about you and Rachel?
take aside v.把…叫到身边 anymore: 现在
你有没有再考虑一下,你和Rachel之间的感情。
-Ross: Oh well yeah, actually I was going to talk to her when you guys all came in the room.
actually:实际上 come in: 进来
嗯,我有,就当你们进到病房时,我正打算和她说。
-Phoebe: Yay! It's so exciting! Wow, you could've done that with us there.
exciting: 令人兴奋的
耶!太好了!哇,我们在那你也可以和她说呀。
-Ross: Yeah right.
是呀。
-Phoebe: Oh sure okay, you can touch yourself in front of us but you can't talk to Rachel.
in front of: 在面前
当然可以,你能在我们面前触摸你自己,就不能和Rachel说话?
-Ross: What?! When have I ever touched myself in front of you guys?
什么?!什么?我究竟什么时候在你们面前抚摸我自己了。
-Phoebe: Oh please! Just before when you were asleep in the lounge!
asleep : 睡着的 lounge: 长沙发
别装了,就刚才。当你在沙发上睡觉时!
That Armenian family was watching you instead of the TV.
Armenian: 亚美尼亚的 instead of: 代替,而不是...
那家亚美尼亚人不看电视总看你。
Oh, that reminds me that Mr. Hasmeje still has my Gameboy.
Gameboy: 日本任天堂公司开发的一种可换卡式掌上游戏系统
噢,这提醒了我,那个Hasmeje先生还玩着我的Gameboy呢.
-Joey: (taking Chandler aside) Hey Chandler, can I talk to you for a second?
second: 一会,片刻
嘿,Chandler,我能和你聊几句吗?
-Chandler: Sure.
当然。
-Joey: Dude I just did something terrible.
terrible: 糟糕的
我刚刚做了些极坏的事。
-Chandler: That was you?! I thought it was Jack!
是你说的?我还以为是Jack!
-Joey: No! No, that was Jack! Rachel thinks I asked her to marry me!
marry me: 嫁给我
不!不,刚刚是Jack说的! Rachel以为我向她求婚!
-Chandler: What?! Why does she think that?
什么?! 她为什么那么想?
-Joey: Because it kinda looked like I did.
kinda=kind of 有点儿
因为我刚刚看起来是在向她求婚。
-Chandler: Again, what?!
怎么回事?
-Joey: Okay well, I was down on one knee with the ring in my hand.
on one knee : 单膝支撑的平衡【通常指求婚】 knee: 膝,膝盖
是这样,我用单个膝盖跪着,手里还拿着戒指。
-Chandler: As we all are at some point during the day.
at some point: 在某一时刻,在某种程度上
通常求婚的时候我们会这样做。
-Joey: It wasn't my ring! It fell out of Ross's jacket!
fall out of:从...掉下来
那个不是我的戒指!它是从Ross的夹克里掉出来的!
And when I knelt down to pick it up Rachel thought I was proposing!
kneel down: 跪下 pick up: 拾起,捡起 propose: 求婚
当我屈膝去捡戒指时,Rachel以为我在向她求婚!
-Chandler: Ross had a ring?! And he was gonna propose?
gonna=be going to 将要
Ross准备了戒指?!而且他准备向Rachel求婚?
-Joey: I guess.
是吧。
-Chandler: And you did it first?! This is gonna kill him!
而你先做了?!这事能要了他的命!
You know how much he loves to propose!
how much:多么
你也知道他是多么的爱求婚!
-Joey: I know! I know it's awful.
awful: 糟糕的,可怕的
我知道! 我知道这事让我搞砸了。
-Chandler: Well, what did she say?
那她说什么了?
-Joey: (happily) She said yes.
她答应了。
-Chandler: You're smiling.
你很高兴啊。
-Joey: No, I'm not.
没啊,我没有。
-Chandler: Yes, you are. I can tell by the way your mouth is. Does Ross know?
tell: 识别,辨别
不,你就是很高兴,从你说话我就能看出来。Ross知道了吗?
-Joey: Oh God, what the hell am I gonna tell him?
what the hell: 究竟是什么
天呀,我到底该怎么和他说呀?
-Chandler: Well maybe you don't have to tell him anything.
have to: 不得不,必须
或许,你不必告诉他全部事实。
-Joey: Oh, I like that. Yeah –
喔,那就好. 你接着说。
-Chandler: If you clear things up with Rachel then Ross never needs to find out,
clear things up with sb: 和某人说清楚 find out: 找出,查明
如果你把事情和Rachel讲清楚,那么Ross就没必要知道真相。
but you have to do it now before he hears about it and kicks your ass!
hear about:: 听说,获得消息 kick your ass: 揍你
但是你需要在他知道前就去做,免得他揍你!
-Joey: (laughs) Now let's not get carried away. (He walks away as Monica comes over and hugs Chandler from behind.)
carry away: 使激动,使失去自制力 come over: 走过来 hug: 紧抱,拥抱
你别失去自制力。
-Monica: I want a baby.
我想要个孩子。
-Chandler: Honey, we've been over this. I need to be facing the other way.
over: 结束【在……事情上已经解决了,度过难关了】
宝贝,我们已经谈过这个问题了。现在换种角度来看。
-Monica: Come on! Come on, if we have sex again it'll double our chances of getting pregnant.
have sex:做爱 double: 加倍,翻一番 pregnant: 怀孕的
来嘛,来嘛,如果我们再做一次爱,我怀孕的机会将增加一倍。
Do you think that closet's still available?
closet: 小室 available: 空闲的
你说那个小房间还空着吗?
-Chandler: I'm so tired. (She starts kissing him.) Yeah okay, but no foreplay.
foreplay: 前戏
我太累了.好吧,但要省掉前戏。
-Monica: Deal!
deal: 一言为定
行。
[Back in front of the nursery window.]
in front of: 在面前 nursery: 育婴室
-Ross: Dad seriously! Y'know you really should see someone about that!
seriously: 严肃地,认真地
爸,说真的!你真得把ben记在心上。
-Mr. Geller: Noted.
noted<俚>I know;I see好的,明白了
记下了。
-Ross: I wanna go talk to Rachel for a minute, are you gonna be okay alone for a bit?
wanna=want to 想 alone: 单独的,独自一人的
我想和Rachel聊聊去,你自己在这待会没事吧?
-Mr. Geller: Are you kidding me, I could stay and look at her forever.
are you kidding me: 你在跟我开玩笑吧 forever: 永远
开玩笑,我可以永远站在这里看着她。
-Ross: (noticing something) Actually umm - (He turns Mr. Geller's head to look at Emma.)
实际上,嗯。
[Scene: Rachel's Room, Phoebe is entering.]
-Phoebe: Hey!
嘿!
-Rachel: Hi.
嗨。
-Phoebe: Are you all right?
你没事吧?
-Rachel: Uhh - I think I just got engaged.
get engaged: 订婚
嗯,我想我刚刚订婚了。
-Phoebe: Oh my God! He did it?
天呀! 他做了?
-Rachel: Well - did you know he was gonna ask me?
恩,你知道他会向我求婚?
-Phoebe: Are you kidding? I'm like the one who talked him into it. I like to think of myself as the puppet master of the group.
take sb. into sth: 说服某人做某事 think of: 想到 puppet: 木偶
开玩笑吗?是我说服他向你求婚的。我喜欢把我自己当成我们这些木偶的主人。
-Rachel: And you really think this is a good idea?
你真认为这么做是个好主意吗?
-Phoebe: I just talked him into it, don't tell me I have to do you too.
get tired:疲倦,变的疲惫
我刚刚说服他,别跟我说我还得劝你。
The puppet master gets tired, people.
拜托,木偶主人会累的。
-Rachel: I just don't know! It just doesn't feel right.
我有些糊涂!这事感觉起来好像不太对劲。
-Phoebe: Why?! You two are so meant to be together, everybody thinks so.
为什么?!你们俩是天生的一对呀,人人都这么说。
-Rachel: Really?! Even Ross?
真的吗?! Ross也那么说?
-Phoebe: Especially Ross!
especially: 特别地,尤其地
尤其是罗斯!
-Joey: (entering) Oh uh, hey Pheebs. Uh y'know what? I'll come back later. (He goes to leave but runs into Ross who's entering.)
come back: 回来
哦,嘿,Pheebs。你们先聊,我一会再来。
-Ross: Wow! Kind of uh, kind of a full house here. I'll guess just - I'll come back. (Ross exits followed by Joey.)
full house:客满,满座 followed by: 后面是
哇!满屋子人。我想我一会再来吧。
-Phoebe: There he goes, your fiancee.
fiancee: 未婚夫
你的未婚夫。
-Rachel: I guess so.
我想是吧。
-Phoebe: Although he does play with himself in his sleep.
play with: 玩弄
但他在睡觉时摸自己。
-Rachel: I can't say that I'm surprised.
surprised: 惊讶的,奇怪的
我得说,我好惊讶。
[Scene: A hallway, Joey and Ross find Mr. Geller with his ear up against a janitor's closet door.]
janitor: 守卫,门警 closet: 小室
-Ross: Dad, what are you doing?
爸,你做什么呢?
-Mr. Geller: I think there are people in there having sex.
have sex: 做爱
我想有人正在里面做爱。
(Ross turns to look at Joey.)
-Joey: It can't be me, I'm standing right here.
不可能是我,我正站在这呢。
-Mr. Geller: Wanna peek?
peek: 偷看
想偷看吗?
-Ross: No!
不!
-Mr. Geller: Come on!
来嘛!
-Ross: Y'know what? I don't like you without mom. (To Joey) Come on. (Walks away.)
没有妈妈在你身边,你好讨厌。我们走。
-Joey: (To Ross) We're not peeking? (Follows him.)
我们不看看?
-Mr. Geller: Well I'm peeking. (He peeks.) Oh my God!
反正我要看。啊,天哪!
-Chandler: Hello sir, you know Monica.
你好,你认识Monica。
[Scene: Rachel's Room, she is taking the ring out of Ross's jacket, looks at it, and puts it on her finger as Joey enters.]
finger: 手指
-Joey: Hey uh, is it okay to come in?
come in: 进来
嘿,我可以进来吗?
-Rachel: Of course! Oh Joey, this ring I - it's beautiful! I love it!
当然! Joey,这个戒指,太美了,我好喜欢!
-Joey: Yeah uh look Rach, there's something I gotta tell ya.
gotta=have got to 必须
是呀,听着,Rachel,有些事我必须和你说。
(There's a knock on the door and a nurse enters carrying Emma.)
knock: 敲门声 nurse: 护士
-Rachel: Hey!
嘿!
-Nurse: Hey! Are you ready to try nursing again?
nurse: 看护,照顾
嘿!你准备好再尝试给婴儿喂奶了吗?
-Rachel: Yeah! Hi Emma. Hey, why do you think she won't take my breast?
breast: 乳房,胸脯
好的! 嗨 Emma.嘿,你认为她不吃我的奶是什么原因?
-Nurse: It's all right honey, it takes some babies a while to get it, but don't worry. It'll happen.
take a while: 过会儿,过段时间
没事的,有些婴儿需要一些时间去适应,你不用担心。会正常的。
-Joey: (watching) Yowsa! (Looks away.)
Yowsa<俚>an exclamation of surprise 噢哟
噢哟!
-Rachel: Okay sweetie, you can do it. Just open up and put it in your mouth.
open up: 打开
你能做到的,不用担心。只要张开嘴,把她放进去就行啦。
-Joey: Dear Lord.
天呀。
-Rachel: I'm sorry honey, what were you saying?
不好意思,你说到哪了?
-Joey: Oh uh-uh yeah, I think that –
嗯,是的,我想你应该...
-Rachel: Oh look, she's pulling away again! Do you think my nipples are too big for her mouth? (Joey gets embarrassed.)
pull away: 离开,脱身 nipple: 乳头 get embarrassed: 发窘
你看, 她又松开嘴了!你说是不是我的乳头,对她的嘴来说太大了?
She looks scared. Doesn't she look scared?
scared:害怕的
她看起来好像被吓着了。她看起来是不是像被吓着了?
-Joey: Y'know, I don't really know her.
我和她不是很熟。
-Nurse: Why don't we try massaging the breast to stimulate the flow. (Does so.)
massage: 按摩,揉 stimulate: 刺激
让我们来试一试按摩胸部来刺激流动。
-Joey: (To God) Are you kidding me?!
你是不是在耍我?!
-Rachel: It's just so frustrating! Why doesn't she want my breast?!
frustrating: 令人沮丧的,令人灰心的
我好灰心!她为什么不想吃我的奶呢?!
-Joey: I don't know! Maybe she's crazy! (Storms out.)
crazy: 疯狂的
我不知道!也许她有病!
[Scene: The Lobby, Ross is eating a sandwich as Phoebe rushes up to him.]
sandwich: 三明治 rush up: 冲上去
-Phoebe: Oh hey! Wait up!
wait up: 停下来等候
嘿,等一下。
-Ross: Hi!
嗨。
-Phoebe: Congratulations! I didn't want to say anything in front of Joey ‘cause I didn't know if he knew yet.
congratulations: 恭喜了 ‘cause=because: 因为
我不想在Joey面前说任何事,因为我不知道他是否已经知道了。
-Ross: What, that we had a baby? Come on let's give him a little credit, although he did eat a piece of plastic fruit earlier.
give sb credit:: 相信某人具有(某种品德才能等) a piece of: 一片,一块 ealier: 之前
什么, 因为我们有了女儿?那就给他一点赞扬吧。尽管如此,他刚才确实吃了一块塑料水果。
-Phoebe: No! No, that you and Rachel are engaged!
be engaged: 订婚
不是!是你和Rachel订婚那事!
-Ross: What?
什么?
-Phoebe: Oh, it's a secret. Oh goodie! Yes! We haven't done the secret thing in a long time.
goodie: <俗>好呀!
噢, 那是个秘密。噢,好呀!我们好久没玩“假装神秘”了。
-Ross: No, Rachel and I are not engaged.
不是,她和我没有订婚。
-Phoebe: I think you are.
我觉得你们订婚了。
-Ross: What are you talking about? Who told you that?
你在说什么啊?谁告诉你的?
-Phoebe: Rachel, your betrothed.
betrothed: 订婚了的,已订婚者
Rachel,和你订过婚的。
-Ross: We're not engaged.
我们没有订婚。
-Phoebe: Oh, that's right. It's a secret.Okay, Right, you are not engaged. I misunderstood her.(blinks to him)
misunderstand:误解,误会 blink: 眨眼
喔,对了,这是个秘密。是的,你们没有订婚,是我误会她了。
-Ross: Phoebe, there is no secret. Okay? I didn't propose.
Phoebe,根本就没有什么秘密。行了吧?我没向她求婚。
-Phoebe: Are you lying? Is this like that time you tried to convince us that you were a doctor?
convince:说服,使相信 doctor: 博士
你在撒谎吗?又像上次,你试图让我们相信你是博士一样?
-Ross: (pause) I am a doctor! Y'know what? I'm just gonna go and talk to Rachel myself.
我是一位博士!不和你说了,我自己去和Rachel说这件事去。
-Phoebe: All right, me too. (They go into her room and see that she's sleeping.) Should we wake her up?
wake up:叫醒,吵醒
好,我也去。我们应该叫醒她吗?
-Ross: No! No, come on let her sleep! She's so exhausted.
exhausted: 精疲力尽的
不!让她接着睡吧!她真的是很疲倦了。
-Phoebe: And so engaged. (Points to the ring that Rachel is wearing.)
也是订婚啦。
-Ross: What? (Motions for Phoebe to go outside with him.) Oh my God! She thinks we're engaged!
天呀!她认为我们订婚了!
Why? Why? Why would she think we're engaged?!
为什么?为什么她认为我们订婚了?!
-Phoebe: Perhaps because you gave her an engagement ring?
engagement ring: 订婚戒指
多半是因为你给了她一枚订婚戒指?
Y'know Ross, doctors are supposed to be smart.
be supposed to: 应该,理应
Ross,你也知道,博士应该是聪明的。
-Ross: I didn't give her that ring!
我没有给她那枚戒指!
-Phoebe: You didn't?
真的吗?
-Ross: No!
当然没有!
-Phoebe: So whose ring is it?
那么戒指是谁的呀?
-Ross: It's mine.
戒指是我的。
-Phoebe: Is it an engagement ring?
那是一枚订婚戒指吗?
-Ross: Yes!
是的!
-Phoebe: But you didn't give it to her?
但是你没有把戒指给她?
-Ross: No!
没有!
-Phoebe: But you were going to propose?
但是你有给她的打算?
-Ross: No!!
没有!!
-Phoebe: Huh, I might be losing interest in this.
lose interest in sth: 对某事失去兴趣
喔,我会对这事失去兴趣的。
-Ross: Look. Look, my mom gave me that ring because she wanted me to propose to Rachel,
propose to: 向求婚
是这样,我妈妈把那枚戒指给了我,因为她想让我向Rachel求婚。
but all I wanted to do is see if she maybe - kinda - wanted ah - to start - things up again.
但是我想做的只是想问问她,我们是不是可以重新开始。
-Phoebe: Oh, what beautiful lukewarm sentiment.
lukewarm: 不够热心的,冷淡的 sentiment: 感情
噢,多么美丽冷淡的情感。
-Ross: Look, I didn't want to rush into anything. And it seemed like she didn't want to either.
rush into: 仓促行动
我不想仓促决定任何事。她看起来也不想。
But I don't, I don't understand how any of this happened! What?
但是,我不知道现在这些事怎么会发生!什么?
Did she find the ring in my jacket, assume I was gonna propose, throw it on, and-and juststart telling people?
assume: 假定,设想 throw on: 匆忙穿上
她在我夹克里面找到那枚戒指,然后假定我会向她求婚,就戴上了,而且还和大家说?
-Phoebe: No! No, she said you actually proposed to her.
不,不是,她说你确实向她求婚了。
-Ross: Well I didn't! I didn't propose! (Pause) Unless uh - (Pause) Did I?
我真的没有!我没有!除非..我做了?
I haven't slept in forty hours and - it does sound like something I would do.
sound like:听起来像
我40个小时没睡觉了,而且这事听起来像是我会做的。
[Scene: The Janitor's Closet, Chandler and Monica are trying to figure out what to do now.]
figure out: 想出,得知
-Chandler: Look, we can't stay in here forever.
stay in: 停留,不外出
我们不可能永远呆在这里。
-Monica: Oh, I still can't believe my dad saw us having sex!
我还是不能相信,我爸居然看到我们做爱!
He didn't make it to one of my piano recitals, but this he sees!
recital: 独奏会 piano recital: 钢琴演奏会
我的那么多次钢琴独奏会,他一次都没来,反而这个被他看见。
-Chandler: This is okay. We're all adults here; there's nothing to be ashamed of.
be ashamed of: 感到羞愧,惭愧
这个没什么,我们都是成人嘛,根本就没有什么可羞耻的呀。
Now, let's put our underwear in our pockets and walk out the door. (They do so and findMr. Geller leaning against a wall stunned.)
underwear: 内衣裤 lean against: 背着,斜靠
现在,让我们把内衣揣进口袋,走出那道门。
-Monica: Hi Dad! I can still call you that right?
嗨,爸爸!我还可以叫你爸爸,对吧?
-Mr. Geller: Of course. I'll always be your dad.
当然.。我永远都是你的老爸。
-Chandler: I just want you to know that what you witnessed in there, that wasn't for fun.
witness: 目击 for fun: 开玩笑,不是认真的
我只是想让你知道,我们在里面被你所看到的那些,并不是为了取乐。
-Monica: It wasn't fun?!
你说那没意思?!
-Chandler: (To Monica) Why? Why would you—Wh-why - (To Mr. Geller) Look, I just don't want you to think that we're animals who do it whenever we want.
whenever:每当,随时
听着,我只是不想让你认为我们是想做就做的动物。
-Mr. Geller: Oh, I don't think that. Before today I never thought of you two having sex at all. It was a simpler time.
simple: 简朴的,单纯的 at all: 完全,根本
我没有那么想。今天之前,我根本都没想过你俩做爱的事。以前只觉得你们很单纯...
-Monica: The truth is, Dad, we're trying.
爸爸,事实上我们在试着...
-Chandler: To kill you.
说我就杀了你。
-Monica: Why, why, why would you...?
为什么,为什么你...
-Chandler: We're trying to have a baby.
have a baby: 生孩子
我们正试着要个孩子。
-Mr. Geller: What?
什么?
-Monica: Yeah, we're trying to get pregnant.
pregnant: 怀孕的
对,我们在努力,我想怀孕。
-Mr. Geller: Oh my God! This is so exciting! Well, get back in there! (Points to the closet) I'll guard the door!
exciting:令人兴奋的 get back: 返回 guard: 守卫
天呀! 这个太令人兴奋了!那你俩回到里面去!我来当门卫!
-Monica: Well, that's okay dad, we can wait until later.
没关系,爸爸,我们可以晚些再做。
-Mr. Geller: Whoa-whoa-whoa! I don't think so! Aren't you ovulating?
ovulate: 排卵
不,不,不!那可不行!你正在排卵吗?
-Monica: Daddy?!
爸?!
-Mr. Geller: Well you gotta get at it princess!.
princess: 公主【这里是对女儿的昵称】
你得不停地做,女儿!
When your mother and I were trying to conceive you, whenever she was ovulating, bam, we did it.
conceive vi.怀孕
想当年,我和你妈想怀你时,只要她一排卵,我们就做。
That's how I got my bad hip.
hip: 臀部
也解释了为什么我臀部有些问题。
-Chandler: That's funny, this conversation's how I got the bullet hole in my head.
funny: 有趣的 bullet: 弹孔
这段对话有意思,也解释了为什么我头上有个弹孔。
-Mr. Geller: This one time I had my knee up on the sink and your mother, she was –
sink: 水槽
有一次我把膝盖顶着水池,你妈妈她,把..
-Chandler: Seriously, sir, my brains, all over the wall.
真的,我脑浆溅的满墙都是。
-Monica: Daddy! I don't think we need to hear about the specific positions you and mom had sex.
specific: 详细而精确的 position: 位置
爸爸! 我们不用听你和妈妈做爱时的详细姿势。
-Mr. Geller: You're right, you're right. This is about your positions.
你说得对.这回是关于你的姿势。
Now, what I saw in the closet is not the optimum position for conceiving a child, although it might feel good.
optimum: 最理想的,最适宜的
我所看到你们在那房间里所用的方式,不是怀孕的最佳选择,虽然感觉起来很好。
-Monica: I don't feel good right now.
但我现在感觉不好。
-Mr. Geller: But pleasure is important, (To Chandler) and it helps if the woman has an orgasm. You up to the task,sailor?
orgasm: 性高潮
但是快乐是很重要的,而如果女性达到高潮会对怀孕有帮助,任务明确?
-Chandler: Oh, my God....(wipes his forehead with underpants)
wipe: 擦拭 forehead: 前额 underpants:(男装)内裤
喔,我的天哪...
[Scene: Rachel's Room, Monica is entering.]
-Monica: Hey.
嘿。
-Rachel: Hey. I need to tell you something.
嘿,我得跟你说些事。
-Monica: Well, now's a good time. I'm on my way to have my ears cut off.
be on one’s way: 濒临 cut off: 切断,切掉
现在不行。我正打算把我耳朵切下来。
-Rachel: Joey asked me marry him.
Joey让我嫁给他。
-Monica: What?
什么?
-Rachel: Joey proposed to me.
Joey向我求婚了。
-Monica: Is he crazy?! You just had Ross's baby!
他疯了吗?!你刚刚生了Ross的女儿!
-Rachel: Well, I said yes.
是,但我同意了。
-Monica: What?! Are you crazy? You just had Ross's baby!
什么?!你疯了吗?你刚刚生了Ross的女儿!
-Rachel: I'm sensing you won't throw the shower?
shower n.为新娘或即将分娩的妇女等举行的)送礼会
我感觉得出你不会放弃送礼会?
-Monica: It's so inappropriate. No, it's worse than that. It's wrong. It's - It is bigger than mine! (Rachel's engagement ring.)
inappropriate: 不合适的
那也太不合适了。不对,比那还糟糕。那么做是错误的。钻戒比我的还大。
-Rachel: I know. Days of Our Lives, thank you very much.
Days of Our Lives: Joey出演的一个电视剧,《我们的日子》。
我知道,托“Days of Our Lives”的福。
-Monica: You can't marry him!
你不能和他结婚!
-Rachel: Why not? I don't want to do this alone!
为什么不能? 我不想自己一个人抚养孩子!
And he's such a sweet guy and he loves me so much.
而且他是如此一个可爱的家伙,他还非常爱我。
-Monica: Well do you love him?
那你爱他吗?
-Rachel: Sure.
当然。
-Monica: Sure?
当然?
-Rachel: Yeah, I mean whatever.
对,我是说,管它呢。
-Monica: If you're worried about breaking his heart again, it's still broken from the last time.
broken: 坏掉的,打破的
如果你是在担心再次伤他的心,上次就已经伤过了。
So really, you're just taking the already broken pieces and breaking them into smaller,more manageable pieces.
manageable adj.易处理的
所以事实上,你只是在将这些碎片伤的更碎。
Okay, forget that.Honey, the question is - do you really want to marry Joey?
亲爱的,忘记这些吧。问题是,你真的想嫁给Joey吗?
-Rachel: No. No, I don't. Could you be a dear and go tell him?
dear: (常作称呼)亲爱的(人)
不,我不想。你可以当当好人,替我告诉他吗?
[Scene: A Hallway, Chandler is following Joey.]
-Chandler: You still haven't told Rachel you weren't really proposing?
你还没和Rachel说你不是真正的在求婚?
-Joey: No! She had the ring on, she seemed so excited, and then she took her breast out.
breast: 乳房,胸脯
没有! 她把戒指带上了,她看起来很兴奋,还把她胸部露了出来。
-Chandler: Joey, you have to tell her what's going on! And what did it look like?!
Joey, 你得告诉她怎么回事?胸部看起来怎么样?!
-Joey: I didn't look at it. Stupid baby's head was blocking most of it.
stupid: 愚蠢的,傻的 block: 阻塞
我没看见.傻孩子的头几乎把她全挡住了。
-Chandler: Go and tell Rachel right now before Ross finds out.
在Ross发现前,你得告诉Rachel。
-Joey: Look, it's not that easy. She said she wanted to marry me. I don't want to hurt her.
没有那么简单。她说她想嫁给我。我不想去伤害她。
-Chandler: Okay, look, just do it gently.
gently: 温和地,温柔地
听着,你就温和地告诉她。
-Joey: You're right. You're right. I'll go tell her now before Ross finds out and I'll be gentle. I can do that. I am a gentle person.
gentle: 温和的,儒雅的
你说得对,我这就去告诉她,在罗斯发现前。我会温和的,我能做到那点。我是一个温和的人。
Oh, by the way. Two people screwing in there (Points to the closet Chandler and Monica were in) if you want to check that out.
by the way: 顺便说一下 screw <俚>have sex 做爱 point to: 指着,指向
喔,有两人正在里面做爱,如果你想,过去看看。
[Scene: Rachel's Room, Ross is entering.]
-Ross: Hey.
嘿。
-Rachel: Hey.
嘿。
-Ross: Listen, I um - I heard about the engagement.
hear about: 听说 engagement: 订婚
听着, 我,我听说了我们之间订婚的事。
-Rachel: Surprised?
惊讶?
-Ross: And confused. Rach, sweetie, I um - I didn't propose to you.
confused: 困惑的
还有迷惑。Rachel, 亲爱的,我没向你求婚。
-Rachel: I know.
我知道。
-Ross: I don't think you do.
我想你搞错了。
-Rachel: You didn't propose to me. Joey did.
你没向我求婚。是Joey。
-Ross: Poor baby, you're so tired. Rach, I didn't propose to you, Joey didn't propose to you, and Chandler didn't propose to you. And Chandler didn't propose to you.
你好可怜呀, 一定是累坏了。Rachel, 我没向你求婚, Joey也没有,Chandler也没有。
-Rachel: Uh - You didn't propose to me, Chandler didn't propose to me, but Joey did.
你是没有,Chandler也没有,但是Joey有向我求婚。
(Joey enters.)
-Ross: Joey proposed to you?
Joey向你求婚?
-Joey: I can come back.
我可以一会再来。
-Ross: Hey, wait! Wait-wait-wait! Joey, did you propose to her?
嘿, 等等! Joey,你向她求婚了?
-Joey: No.
没有。
-Rachel: Yes you did!
你有!
-Joey: Actually, technically, I didn't.
technically: 专门地
表面上我是向她求婚了。
-Rachel: Well then why did you give me a ring?
那你为什么给我戒指?
-Ross: Wait! Whoa-whoa, you gave her the ring?
等等!你把戒指给她了?
-Joey: No! No, and I did not ask her to marry me!
没有!没有,而且我没有开口让她嫁给我!
-Rachel: Yes, you did!
有,你说了。
-Joey: No, I didn't!
没有,我没说!
-Rachel: Yes, you did!
你说了!
-Joey: No, I didn't!
我没说!
-Rachel: Yes, you did! And don't you say, "No, I didn't!"
说了!别说你没说!
-Joey: Ahhh!
啊!!!!
-Rachel: He was right there. He got down on one knee and proposed.
get down on one knee: 单膝下跪
他当时就在那里。他单膝下跪向我求婚的。
-Ross: Whoa! You were down on one knee?
喔,你单膝下跪?
-Joey: Yeah. Yeah, that looks bad. But I didn't - I didn't propose!
是,是,那看起来容易引起误会。但是我没有,我没有求婚!
-Ross: Then what did happen?
那么到底发生了什么事?
-Rachel: Yeah, what did happen?
就是,到底怎么回事?
-Joey: Okay, the ring fell on the floor and I went down to pick it up and you thought I was proposing.
fall on:落到 pick up: 拾起,捡起
好,那戒指滑落到了地上,然后我蹲身去捡,你就以为我在向你求婚。
-Rachel: Yeah, but you said, "Will you marry me?"
对,但是你说,“你愿意嫁给我吗?"
-Joey: No, I didn't!
没有,我没说!
-Rachel: Yes, you did!
有,你说了!
-Joey: No, I didn't!
我没有!
-Rachel: Yes, you did—Oh my God you didn't! (Screams) Well then why didn't you tell me that before?!
scream:尖叫,大叫 well then: 那么
有,你说了?啊,天呀,你没说!那你当时为什么不和我说?!
-Joey: Well I tried, but people kept coming in and then you took your breast out!
我一直在找机会,但一直有人进进出出,然后你又把胸部露了出来!
-Ross: Whoa! Hey! Whoa-whoa-whoa, you saw her breast?!
嘿,你看到她胸部了?!
-Joey: (To Ross) I'll tell you about it later. Be cool.
我一会再和你说这事。镇定。
-Rachel: Well then Joey, what the hell were you doing with an engagement ring?!
what the hell: 究竟是什么
Joey,那你拿着枚订婚戒指做什么?
-Joey: It wasn't my ring! It's Ross's ring! That's why I felt so bad Rach, because he was going to propose.
那个不是我的戒指!戒指是Ross的!Rachel,正因为他打算向你求婚,我才感觉很糟糕。
-Ross: What?!
什么?
-Rachel: You were gonna propose to me?
你打算向我求婚?
-Ross: Uhh - No.
...不是。
(An awkward silence follows.)
-Joey: Well, this is awkward.
awkward: 尴尬的
嗯,太尴尬了。
-Ross: But I was going to see if y'know, maybe you uh, start dating again but that - I mean that was all, Rach.
date:约会
但是,我是打算看看你是否想..重新约会,但就这些。
-Joey: Dude, step up! I proposed.
step up: 加快,加紧
你说狠点嘛! 我都求婚了。
-Ross: No, you didn't!
你没有!
-Joey: Oh that's right. There's a lot going on here and I think I ate some bad fruit earlier.
bad fruit: 次等瓜果
对,对。这一会发生太多事了,而且我感觉我刚刚好像吃了些不新鲜的水果。
-Rachel: All right, so let me just get this clear. You didn't propose.You weren't gonna propose.
好吧,这我把这事弄明白。你们没有求婚,也没打算求婚。
So this morning, I didn't have a boyfriend and somehow I got dumped twice today.
dumped:废弃的【这里指被甩】
那么今早,我没有男朋友,而且被摔了两次。
(There's a knock on the door and the Nurse enters carrying Emma.)
-Nurse: Hey, she just woke up! She's hungry. Why don't we give this another try?
wake up: 吵醒,叫醒
嘿,她刚刚醒来!她饿了,让我们再试一试吧?
-Rachel: Okay.
好吧。
-Joey: Here we go again.
让我们再来一次。
-Ross: (To Joey) I can't believe you told her I was gonna propose!
真没想到,你居然告诉她我打算向她求婚!
-Joey: I can't believe you're not gonna propose!
真没想到,你居然不向她求婚!
-Ross: Hey, I'm not gonna rush into anything!
rush into: 仓促行动
嘿, 我不会仓促做决定!
-Joey: Oh yeah, dude, I totally understand. Usually after I have a baby with a woman I like to slow things down!
slow down:放慢速度
好的,哥们,我完全理解。通常当我和女人有了孩子,我喜欢放慢我们之间的关系!
-Rachel: Oh my God!
天呀!
-Ross: What?
什么?
-Rachel: She's doing it. Look, she's breast-feeding look!
breast-feeding: 母乳喂养
她正在吃奶,看她正在吸吮!!
-Joey: (looking at the ceiling) Ah, it's beautiful.
啊,真美。
-Nurse: I'll come back for her later.
我一会回来接她。
-Rachel: Okay.
好。
-Ross: Thank you. (The nurse exits.)
谢谢。
-Rachel: Oh wow, this feels weird.
weird: 怪异的,奇怪的
哇,这感觉好奇怪。
-Ross: Good weird?
好感觉?
-Rachel: Wonderful weird.
wonderful: 极好的
极好的。
-Joey: Y'know what you guys? I'm uh, I'm gonna go too. And uh, I'm sorry about everything.
嘿你俩,我先..我先走了。嗯,刚刚发生了那么多事,我非常抱歉。
-Rachel: Honey don't worry, it was my mistake.
别担心,都是我的错.
-Joey: No, Rach, I should've told you sooner. It's just that - Man! That kid is going to town! (Joey makes his awkward exit.)
go to town: 寻欢作乐
不, Rachel, 我应该及时告诉你的。只是...嘿!这孩子吸的真起劲嘛!
-Rachel: She's perfect.
她真是完美。
-Ross: We're so lucky.
我们好幸运。
-Rachel: We really are.
真是啊。
-Ross: Look, I know it's not a proposal and I don't know where you are, but with everything that's been going on and with Emma and - I've been feeling –
proposal:求婚
你听着,我知道我没向你求婚,我也不知道你对我有没有感觉,但是你经历了这么多事,现在我们有了Emma,我一直在想...
-Rachel: I know. I know. I'm feeling.
我知道,我知道,我有感觉。
-Ross: Yeah?
你有?
-Rachel: Yeah. (Laughs nervously)
有。
-Ross: Okay, well, that - Wow, okay, well, umm - then maybe, at least we can, we can talk about us again.
那好吧,或许,至少我们可以再次说起我俩的事。
-Rachel: Yeah, maybe.
是吧。
-Ross: Well good, okay. I, kind of think y'know if we - if - you're wearing the ring....
(Pause.)
那好吧!我也在想,我们是否..你现在带着戒指呢。
-Rachel: Wh-what's that?
什,什么?
-Ross: And you told Phoebe you were engaged.
你还和Phoebe说你已经订婚了。
-Rachel: I'm sorry, what?
我没听清,你说什么?
-Ross: When you thought Joey proposed,did you say yes?
当你认为Joey是在向你求婚时,你有没有答应他?
[Scene: Outside the Janitor's Closet, there are people having sex and Mr. Geller is trying to give them some pamphlets.]
pamphlet: 小册子
-Mr. Geller: Kids, I spoke to a doctor and picked up this pamphlets on how to get pregnant. (He slides them under the door.)
pregnant: 怀孕的
孩子呀, 我刚刚去医生那替你们拿了一本关于怎样怀孕的小册子。
-Monica: (walking by with Chandler.) Hey dad!
嘿,老爸!
-Chandler: Hey.
嘿。
-Mr. Geller: (pause) Sorry to bother you again, but could you pass my pamphlets back? (They do so.) Thank you.
bother: 烦扰
不好意思再次打扰你们,可以把我的小册子还给我吗?谢谢你。
End
词汇解析:Sophia Wang 校对:Clytzy



评 论


