提示:网站右上角“在线笔记本”可以保存文字信息(好的单词,短语,句子等等)                                        

 

Season 1, Episode 3: Don’t Look Back

 

[Chapter three]

One Giant Leap

 giant: 巨大的  leap: 飞跃

 

-Suresh: When evolution selects its agents, it does so at a cost.

 evolution: 进化,发展  select: 选择  agent: 媒介物,介质  cost: 代价

 当进化选择了它的载体,同时也需要载体做出牺牲。

 It makes demands in exchange for singularity.

demand: 要求  exchange: 交换  singularity: 卓越奇异

 并付出特别代价作为交换。

 And you may be asked to do something against your very nature.

 very: 真正的  against: 违背  nature: 本性,天性

 或许还会要求你做些违背本性的事。

 Suddenly, the change in your life that should have been wonderful comes as a betrayal.

suddenly: 突然地  wonderful: 极好的  betrayal: 背叛

 突然间,你生活中本该十分美好的转变却令你背信弃义。

 It may seem cruel, but the goal is nothing short of self-preservation. Survival.

cruel: 残酷的残忍的  goal: 目标,终点  self-preservation: 自卫本能  survival: 生存

 看起来也许很残酷,但这几乎是出于自卫的本能。为了生存。

-Claire: So, if our team wins,

 team: 队,组

那么,如果我们队赢了

 There’ll be a celebratory bonfire, where I need to represent.

celebratory: 庆祝的  bonfire: 篝火,营火  represent: 表演

 就会有个篝火晚会 我得做表演。

 So it might be, like, midnightish

midnightish: 通宵的

所以,可能要到很晚

-Bennett: On a school night

 是学校组织的吗?

-Claire: A celebratory school night.

 学校组织的庆祝晚会

-Bennett: So, is that the quarterback?

 quarterback: [美国英语]【橄榄球】四分卫

 是那个四分卫吗?

 Who?

 ?

-Bennett: The boy that you like, right over there

 就是你喜欢的那个男孩儿,在那边

-Claire: I don't like him. I mean, he's a very nice boy, but

 我不喜欢他。我的意思是,他的确是个不错的男生,但

 Yes, he's the quarterback.

是,他就是那个四分卫。

-Bennett: If you really wanted to make me happy, you'd only date nerds, you know.

 date: 与(异性朋友)约会  nerd: [俚语]书呆子

如果你真想让我高兴的话,就只和那些书呆子约会

Well, it worked out very well for your mother.

至少这招对你妈妈管用

-Jackie: I love your glasses, Mr. Bennett.

 你的眼镜真漂亮,Bennett先生。

-Bennett: Thank you, Jackie.

 谢谢,Jackie

Rumor has it you're a local hero.

rumor: 传闻  local: 当地的  hero: 英雄

你现在是我们这儿的英雄了。

 Pulled a man out of a burning train car

 burning: 燃烧的

听说你从燃烧的火车里救出一个男人。

-Jackie: You heard about that? O.M.G., does everybody know?

 O.M.G. = Oh My God

 你听说了?上帝啊,难道每个人都知道了?

-Claire: It was on the news. You told half the school to set their TiVos.

都上新闻了,你告诉了全校一半的人 都要看那个节目。

-Jackie: It's going to be the cornerstone of my campaign for class president.

 cornerstone: 基石,要素  campaign: 竞选运动

这是我竞选班长的一颗重要砝码。

 I'm running on a platform of moral, mental, and social advancement through good deeds.

run: 说出,叙述  platform: 演讲  moral: 道德(上)的  mental: 精神的  social: 社会的  advancement: 前进,进步  deed: 事迹,行为

 我正在筹备一个关于通过做好事来促进道德、精神和社会进步的演讲。

 What do you think?

你们觉得怎么样?

-Claire: I think I need to get something out of my locker.

 locker: (公共更衣处等中的)有锁小柜

 我想我得去从我的柜子里拿点东西出来。

-Bennett: Hey. Claire. Be careful. Okay?

 嘿,Claire。当心点,好吗?

 

[Telephone ringing]

[Speaking Japanese]

 

-Hiro: Ando!

 安藤君!

-Ando: Where have you been the last two days?

 你前两天都到哪儿去了?

-Hiro: I teleported my self into the future

 teleport: 心灵传送,瞬间移动 

 我把自己传送到未来去了。

-Ando: Haven’t we been over all this?

 还没说够吗?

-Hiro: That’s explains this. It tell the whole story of my heroic journey.

 explain: 解释  whole: 整个的  heroic: 英雄的,英勇的  journey: 旅程,旅行,行程

 这个能够证明。它讲了我英勇历险的整个故事。

-Ando: Is this how you spend your time?

 spend: 花费时间

你就这么浪费时间的?

-Hiro: Read it!

 看一看!

 I’m on the subway in Japan. Suddenly, I’m in New York! Five weeks in the future!

 subway: 地铁  suddenly: 突然间 

我在日本的地铁里。然后突然间,我到了纽约,5周后的未来!

 Being hitting the sake?

 hit: [美国口语](让酒吧招待)再上一杯酒给(某人)  sake: 日本清酒

 喝酒喝糊涂了?

-Hiro: I found the book’s author, but he was dead.

 author: 作者

 我找到了这本书的作者,但是他已经死了。

 Then, there’s a nuclear explosion. It all happens in five weeks.

 nuclear: 原子核的,原子能的  explosion: 爆炸,爆发

 接着还发生了核爆炸。这都是在这5周里发生的。

And you and I have to stop it.

而你和我得去阻止它。

-Ando: Definitely the sake.

 definitely: 肯定地

 肯定是酒喝多了。

-Hiro: Look, you’re in it too!

 看看啊,你也在里面!

 How could I know you were going to say that?

 我怎么知道你会那么说的呢?

-Ando: We have work to do. If you still work here

如果你还想干的话,我们还是工作吧。

-Hiro: Listen, if I can prove to you beyond a shadow of a doubt.

 prove: 证明  shadow: 影像;少许,些微  doubt: 怀疑,疑惑 

 听着,如果我能证明,并让你消除疑虑。

 Will come with me?

你就会支持我了吗?

 

[Watch alarm beeping]

 alarm: 警报  beep: 发出(短促刺耳的)哗哗声,嘟嘟声

 

-Hiro: We have to go right now! A girl’s life depends on us!

life: 性命,生命

我们必须马上走!一个女孩儿的性命就全靠我们了!

-Nathan: It'll work. We'll have the fundraiser here, not the ballroom.

 work: 有效  fundraiser: 筹款社交活动  ballroom: 舞厅,舞场

 这个可以。我们要募集资金,而不是开舞会。

 Makes me look fiscally responsible

fiscally: 财政地  responsible: 可靠的,可信赖的

让我看起来在经济方面很有说服力(竞选中)。

-Assistant: Yes, it does.

 是的,的确如此。

-Nathan: Pete, just the man I want to see.

 Pete,我正想找你。

-Peter: I need to talk to you.

 我得和你谈谈。

-Nathan: What do you think? Red or blue?

 你觉得怎样?红的还是蓝的?

-Peter: I don't know. Blue?

 我不知道。蓝的?

-Nathan: I'm gonna go red. The president wears red.

 president: 总统  gonna=going to: 将会

我还是选红的。总统穿红的。

 So you gonna come tonight?

你今晚会来吗?

 Gonna break out the suit, have a couple of drinks?

suit: 套装,套服

去准备套衣服,再喝两杯?

-Peter: Yeah.

 好。

-Nathan: Rebuff the advances of my cute interns?

 rebuff: 严厉拒绝  cute: 可爱的,聪明的  intern: 实习医师  advances: [常用复数]求爱

 你拒绝了我们可爱医师的求爱了?

Emily?

 Emily?

-Peter: Yeah, I'm gonna be there.

 是的,我会去的。

 Listen, I tried it again.

听着,我又尝试过了。

-Nathan: Tried what?

试什么?

 What do you mean what?

你什么意思?

-Peter: What do you think that I mean?

你觉得我是什么意思?

 I tried to fly.

我,我试着飞起来。

-Nathan: Would you keep your voice down?

 你小声点行吗?

-Peter: You were there. Last night I could fly.

 昨晚我飞起来时,你在那儿。

 This morning, nothing

但今天早上,我失败了。

 I nearly broke my neck trying.

break: 折断  neck: 脖子

我试得差点摔断了脖子。

-Nathan: Well, it would have solved one of our problems.

solve: 解答,解决

要是那样的话就好了

-Peter: So I went to the library to see if I could find anything on human flight.

library: 图书馆  human: 人类  flight: 飞行

然后我去了图书馆去查了有关人类飞行的资料

 I came across this amazing book. 

amazing: 令人惊异的

我找到了这本书

 Listen to this. "Genes determine obesity, blood pressure."

gene: 基因  determine: 决定  obesity: 肥胖  pressure: 压力,压强

你听这个,“基因决定体重,还有血压。”

 "Out of the 30 billion possibilities, one might contain the potential for human flight."

billion: 十亿  possibility: 可能性  contain: 包含,容纳  potential: 潜力,潜能

“每300亿个人中,就会有一个人具备飞行的潜能”

 This guy knows what's going on.

guy: (男)人,家伙

这个家伙理解这一切

 Chandra Suresh. He's a genetics professor in India.

genetics: 遗传学  professor: 教授  India: 印度

Chandra Suresh,他是印度的一位基因学教授。

 I called. They said that he quit six months ago. They think he's here in New York.

quit: 离开,辞职 

我打过电话了,他们说他六个月前辞职了。他现在很有可能在纽约。

 We gotta find this guy.

gotta=have got to: 必须  guy: (男)人

我们得找到这个人。

-Nathan: We've got a more immediate problem here.

immediate: 立即的,即刻的

我们现在还有更紧急的事情!

-Peter: What?

 什么事?

-Nathan: It's this woman reporter.

reporter: 记者

就是那个女记者。

 She's poking around into why you jumped off the roof.

poke: 刺探,探听  roof: 屋顶

她正在到处打听你为什么要从楼顶跳下呢。

-Peter: Look, Nathan, we flew.

听着,Nathan,我们飞起来了

 Aren't you curious how this happened?

 curious: 好奇的

你难道不想知道这是为什么吗?

-Nathan: Yeah, I mean, I want answers, just like everyone else.

是的,我的意思是我想知道答案,就像其他人一样。

 I mean, just like you, okay?

我是说就像你一样 好吗?

But right now, today,

但是今日,现在,

I'm trying to find a way to put a spin on this so it doesn't look like crazy runs in our family.

spin: 回旋的余地  crazy: 疯狂的

我正在想办法给这件事找回旋的余地,免得让这事闹得我们家鸡犬不宁。

-Peter: I need to figure out why this is happening to me. To us.

我要弄明白这种事为什么会发生在我身上,为了我们。

-Nathan: Responsibilities, Pete, okay?

 responsibility: 责任

我还有责任,好吗?Pete.

 I've got an election to win and a family to feed, okay?

election: 选举  feed: 供养

我有一场选举要赢,还有个家要养活,明白吗?

-Peter: You are so what do you want to tell that reporter?

 你太,你打算和那个女记者怎么说?

-Nathan: I know one thing we can't tell her. The truth.

 只有一件事我们不能告诉她。事情的真相。

 

[Key rattling in door lock]

 rattle: 使...嘎嘎响  lock:

 

-Eden: Sorry. I still have your dad's keys.

对不起,我还拿着你爸爸的钥匙呢

 Maybe I shouldn't.

也许我不该这样。

-Suresh: Sorry. After being attacked, every noise I hear Sorry

 attack: 攻击

对不起。自从被袭击后所有的声音在我听来都像…真的很抱歉。

-Eden: Well, this is macaroni and cheese.

 macaroni: 通心粉  cheese: 乳酪,干酪

 这是通心面和奶酪

 It's what Americans eat when they want to commit suicide slowly.

commit: ...  suicide: 自杀  slowly: 缓慢地

这是美国人想慢性自杀时吃的。

 Your dad said mine was the best he ever had, but he was from India, so—

你爸爸说我做的是他吃过最好吃的,但他是从印度来的,所以——

-Suresh: Thank you. You're very kind.

 谢谢。你人真好。

-Eden: You look like hell. When was the last time you slept?

 hell: 地狱

你看上去很憔悴。你上次睡觉是什么时候?

-Suresh: All this work. I'm no closer to understanding my father's research.

understanding: 理解  research: 研究

为了这些工作。我无法明白我父亲的研究。

-Eden: Well, what about the program on your dad's computer?

 program: 程序

 那么,你父亲电脑上的程序呢?

 Didn't you say he cracked some code?

crack: 辨认暗号,破译  code: 密码

你不是说他破解了一些密码吗?

-Suresh: I thought he had. But the algorithm... It's gibberish.

 algorithm: 算法  gibberish: 胡扯,胡言乱语

 我觉得是,但是这种算法…简直是一团糟。

-Eden: Know anybody who speaks gibberish?

那你打算怎么办?

-Suresh: The man with the horned rim glasses. He chased me around the world

 horned: 有角的,角状的  rim: 边,轮缘,框  chase: 追逐

那个戴镶边眼镜的人,他满世界的追我。

 Madras, Manhattan, this very apartment looking for it.

apartment: 公寓

从马德拉斯,曼哈顿,到这儿,就是为了找它。

 But this isn't anything.

但是这什么都不是。

-Eden: Well, then, why would he build it?

 那他又为什么要造这个呢?

-Suresh: Why? It was always this way with my father.

 为什么?这是我父亲的一贯作风。

 Every question met with another question. Never an answer

 从一个问题到另一个问题。从来没有答案。

 Only "why?" Even after he's dead

只有“为什么?”即使是他死后也是这样。

-Eden: Well, what about the map?

 那地图呢?

-Suresh: The map. The map is nothing until I can decipher the principle behind it.

 decipher: 译解  principle: 原则,原理

地图?在我破译出地图所隐含的原理之前,它不名一文。

 You know, if I could find even one such person, it would validate everything he believed.

validate: 使...有效,确认  believe: 相信,信任

我只要能找到一个这样的人,就能证明我父亲所坚信的一切。

 But I can't.

但我却找不到。

-Eden: Your father had a lot of faith in you.

 faith: 信任,信仰

你父亲对你非常有信心。

-Suresh: My father only cared about proving he was right.

 proving: prove的现在分词,证明

我父亲只在乎如何证明他是对的。

 He left his country, his family, chasing this insanity.

insanity: 非常愚蠢(的行为);荒谬

他离开了他的国家,他的家人,去追寻这些虚无缥缈的东西。

 And now I'm wasting my life trying to prove him sane.

waste: 浪费  sane: 神智健全的,理智的

而现在我也要浪费我的时间去证明他是对的。

 Where did it get me?

到底要我怎么样?

-Eden: Mohinder!

 Mohinder!

-Suresh: I'm sorry. I'm just so tired.

 对不起,我可能是太累了。

 "Sylar."

Sylar

-Eden: What is it?

 这是什么?

-Suresh: Yet another question.

 又一个问题。

-Matt: I don't know how else to explain this.

 explain: 解释

我不知道还能怎么解释这件事。

 I heard a little girl call for help.

我听到一个小女孩儿在求救。

 

[Voice over intercom]

 intercom: 对讲机

 

 I went to her. That's all that happened.

 我去帮她。这就是事情的经过。

-Audrey: So you just waltzed right in,

 waltz: 以轻巧的步伐走(或旋转)

 所以你只是晃悠到那里

 found a kid hiding in a wall, then pulled the name Sylar out of your ass,

 kid: 小孩  hide: 隐藏,躲藏  ass: 笨蛋;固执的人

然后找到一个孩子藏在墙角,然后从你嘴里 就冒出“Sylar”这个名字,

 When only a handful of us know that name

handful: 少数

在我们只有少数人知道那名字的时候。

-Matt: It's like it was like someone was talking to me.

 就像是,就像是有人在和我说话。

 Except it was in my head

except: 之外

只不过它是出现在我的脑海中。

-Audrey: Did the voices tell you anything else? They want you to do things?

那个声音还告诉你其他什么事了?他们还要你做别的了吗?

 Rob a store, kill the president?

rob: 抢劫  store: [美国英语]商店,店铺  president: 总统

抢劫商店,还是刺杀总统?

-Matt: No. It's more like I can... hear people's thoughts. Or something. I don't know.

 thought: 想法

没有。它更像是…我能听到人们的想法。诸如此类, 我也不明白。

-Audrey: Can you tell me what I'm thinking?

 那你能告诉我,我现在在想什么吗?

-Matt: No, I really can't control this. It just sort of happens.

control: 控制

不能,我真的不能控制它,它就是这么发生了。

-Audrey: Give it a shot, Carnac. I'm wide open.

shot: 机会  wide: 完全张开地

那就试试,我正等着呢。

-Matt: You think I'm nuts. Or stupid

 nuts: [俚语、冒犯语]疯狂的人;怪人  stupid: 笨蛋,傻瓜

你以为我是疯子,或者是傻子。

-Audrey: Great trick. Stop wasting my time.

 trick: 戏法,把戏  waste: 浪费

不错的小把戏,别再浪费我的时间了。

 

[Audrey's thoughts, very garbled]

 garbled: 篡改的,曲解的

[Audrey’s thinking]:

 Come on, Parkman,

 快点,Parkman

 

-Matt: I need this more than you do. Nobody believes in me.

我比你更需要这些。没有人相信我。

 Nobody believes in you. I know what that's like.

 没有人相信你。我知道那是什么感觉。

 How much longer do I have to be in here?

 我还要在这里呆多久?

-Audrey: Depends… How'd you like to work with the FBI?

 depend: 取决于,决定(于)  FBI: 美国联邦调查局

这取决于,你觉得和联邦调查局合作怎么样?

-Zach: Claire what are you doing running off to an away game?

Claire,你要去干什么,去参加客场比赛吗?

 That tape with all your attempts at bodily harm is still missing.

tape: 录像带,录音带  attempt: 试图,企图  bodily: 身体的  missing: 找不到的

bodily: 身体的  harm: 伤害,损害,危害

那盘记录你企图自残内容的带子还没找到呢。

-Claire: Yeah, well if someone finds it,

 如果有人发现了它,

 We’ll just tell 'em you're some visual effects geek who did it with his computer.

tell’em: = tell them  visual: 是觉得  effect: 效果  geek: 怪人

我们就告诉他们,你是喜欢用电脑做这种视觉效果的网络怪人。

Now, can I get back to my life, please?

现在,请问我可以回到我正常生活中去了吗?

-Zach: So that's it? You're just gonna go pump your pompoms,

gonna: <> 将要(=going to)  pump: 打气  pompom: 彩球

就这样?你就这样去玩你的彩球,

 And pretend you're no different than any other girl on the squad?

 pretend: 假装;伪装  squad: 班,小队,小集团

假装你和班上那些女孩儿没什么区别?

-Claire: Yes, actually.

 actually: 事实上,确实地

不错,的确如此。

-Zach: But you are, Claire. You are different. Don't you see that?

但是你不一样,Claire。你是特别的,你还不明白吗?

 Don't you see that none of this matters?

matter: 有重要性,要紧

你不明白这些都是无关紧要的吗?

 School spirit doesn't matter.

spirit: 精神

无所谓什么学校的精神。

 Being a pretty blonde cheerleader doesn't matter.

pretty: 美丽的  blonde: 金黄色或淡色的(指人头发) cheerleader: 拉拉队队长

也无所谓做一个美丽的金发拉拉队长。

 It's not who you are anymore.

你不再是原来的你了。

-Claire: Who am I? So what, I can crawl through a wood chipper, and live to tell about it.

crawl: 爬行  chipper: 削东西的工具

那我是谁?那又怎样,我是能安然无恙的爬过木片切割机,

 That narrows my choices in life to freak or guinea pig.

narrow: 限制,约束  choice: 选择  freak: 怪人  guinea: 豚鼠 

那会限制我选择生活方式的权力,被看作是畸形或是傻瓜。

 In most cases, both what’s wrong with wanting to be normal?

case: 情形,情况  normal: 正常的,正规的

很有可能两者都是。想做普通人有什么不对吗?

-Zach: You should try it.

你该去尝试下。

 

[Bell rings]

 

-Isaac: What are you doing here?

 你在这儿做什么?

-Simone: The door was open.

 门开着。

 Isaac, you have to get back to work. Your editor the comic book is late.

editor: 编辑,编者  comic: 连环图画

Isaac,你得回去工作了。你的编辑,漫画出版已经迟了。

-Isaac: You were taking them, weren't you?

 你把那些画都拿走了,是吗?

-Simone: Yes, I'm going to sell them in my gallery.

gallery: 美术馆,画廊

是的,我准备在我的画廊出售那些画。

 And with the money, we can get you straightened out. Into rehab.

rehab: 复原,修复

赚的钱能用来帮你摆脱困境,慢慢戒掉毒瘾。

-Isaac: I'm not going into rehab.

 我不打算戒掉

-Simone: I found all your junk. The drugs, all of it. I flushed everything.

 junk: 垃圾  drug: [常用复数]毒品  flush: (用水等)冲洗干净;冲走

我看到你所有的垃圾,全都是毒品。我把它们都冲走了。

-Isaac: How am I supposed to paint the future?

paint: 画;绘画 

那我还怎么画出未来?

-Simone: Nobody can paint the future. That's the drugs talking.

 paint: 绘画

没人能画出未来。这是毒品带来的幻觉。

-Isaac: Look around you at all these paintings! Every one of them has come true.

看看你周围所有这些画!每一幅都成真了。

-Simone: Oh. And does that include this big one on the floor of New York going nuclear?

include: 包括  nuclear: 核武器

哦。那也包括地板上那幅关于纽约核爆炸的画?

-Isaac: Yes. I don't know how, I don't know when, but I have to stop it.

是的。我不知道怎么发生,也不知道什么时候发生,但是,我必须阻止它发生。

 I don't want to lose you, Simone. But if you don't believe in me, then you shouldn't be here.

 lose: 失去

我不想失去你,Simone。但是如果你不相信我,那你就不该留在这儿。

-Simone: Fine. You think you can paint the future. Paint one without me in it.

 那好吧。你认为你可以画出未来。画一幅没有我在里面的吧。

 

[Telephone ringing]

 

-Isaac: Hello?

喂?

[Hiro speaking rapidly in Japanese]

rapidly: 迅速地

-Isaac: I can't understand a word you're saying. Stop calling me here.

你说的我一句也听不懂。别再打来我这了。

 You've got the wrong number. Wrong number.

你打错了,打错了。

 

[Speaking Japanese]

 

-Ando: Who are you calling?

 你打给谁?

-Hiro: The comic book author

 author: 作者

这本漫画的作者。

 To warn him about the future He keeps hanging up on me.

 warn: 注意,通知 

我本想告诉他未来要发生的事情, 不过他总是挂我电话。

-Ando: That’s because you’re crazy.

crazy: 疯狂的

那是因为你疯了。

 I’d hang up on you too, if I could.

 要是可能,我也会挂你电话。

-Hiro: This is the spot!

 spot: 地点,场所

 就是这里!

 A young girl dressed in a school uniform…

 uniform: 制服

 一个穿着校服的年轻女孩

 And we have to save her. See?

 save: 拯救

我们必须要救他。明白吗?

-Ando: What school girl?

 哪有什么学校女生啊?

 Okay. Which one is she?

 好的。哪个是她?

-Hiro: I don’t know.

 我不知道。

 She has a red bow in her hair! I’ll go this way, you go that way.

 bow: 环形装饰结

 她头上戴着红色丝巾!我往这边找,你去那边。

 Sorry.

 对不起。

-Hiro: Ando! Stop that truck!

 truck: 卡车

安藤!快拦住那辆卡车!

-Ando: Stop, watch out!

停下来,小心啊!

-Hiro: I did it!

 我做到了!

-Ando: You did it!

 你做到了!

-Hiro: So you believe me now? You’ll come with me?

 那你现在相信我了?你会和我一起去吗?

-Micah: Hi.

 你好。

-Niki: Hi. How'd you sleep?

 好啊。睡得怎么样?

-Micah: Good. Where are we?

 很好。我们在哪里?

 

[Engine starts]

engine: 引擎,发动机

 

-Niki: On our way to Grandma's house

去奶奶家的路上。

 

[Knocking]

 

-Grandma: Micah!

 Micah

-Micah: Grandma

 奶奶。

-Grandma: Oh, my. You've grown.

 哇,我的宝贝。你长大了。

-Micah: You always say that.

 你总是这么说。

-Grandma: I did?

 是吗?

-Micah: Yes, you did.

 是的。

 Why don't you go on inside?

怎么还不进屋去?

-Grandma: You look thin.

thin: 瘦的

你瘦了。

 

[Whistling]

 whistling: 吹口哨

 

-Grandma: Look, I know what it's like to raise a boy on your own.

 raise: 养育(子女)

听着,我知道独自一人抚养孩子有多艰难。

 To be stretched so far, you wish you could be in two places at once.

stretch: 尽力,伸展  wish: 希望

要来回奔波,你恨不得可以同时身兼二职。

 I get it. But that boy needs more than you've been giving him.

get: 理解

我明白。但那孩子需要你给与他更多东西。

 He needs a steady hand and a stable environment.

steady: 稳定的,稳固的  stable: 稳定的,安定的  environment: 环境

他需要坚实的后盾和稳定的环境。

 I can give him that.

 我能给他这些。

-Niki: Why, because D.L. grew up to be such a model citizen?

 model: 模范的,榜样的  citizen: 公民,市民

 为什么,就因为D.L.长大成了模范市民?

-Grandma: My son, your husband, is a good man.

 我儿子,你丈夫,是个好人。

-Niki: You recognize this? I found it in the desert.

 recognize: 认出,认可,承认  desert: 沙漠

你认得出这个吗?我在沙滩里发现的。

-Grandma: What's that supposed to be?

 那应该是什么?

-Niki: This belonged to one of the men that your son murdered.

murder: 谋杀,凶杀

这是属于你儿子谋杀的人的。

 I took it out of the grave. You know that all of D.L.'s crew wore these.

 grave: 坟墓  crew: [口语]一群做同一工作的人  wore: wear的过去式,戴

我把它从坟墓里拿出来的。你知道所有D.L.的成员都戴这个。

-Grandma: D.L. wouldn't murder anybody. Ever.

 D.L.不会杀任何人。从来没有。

-Niki: Wrong. He robbed Linderman and got away with $2 million,

rob: 抢劫  

你错了。他打劫Linderman并带着2百万美金逃走了,

 and then he killed his crew.

 然后还杀了他的成员。

-Grandma: My son was framed.

 frame: 陷害

我儿子是被陷害的。

 And he'd be rotting in some prison if he hadn't escaped.

 rot: 憔悴,衰败  prison: 监狱  escape: 逃跑,逃走,逃出

而且如果他不逃走的话,就会死在某个监狱里。

 Besides, if D.L. had $2 million...

besides: 此外

另外,如果D.L.2百万美金。。。

 Honey, he'd be on some tropical island someplace, sitting out his years, with Micah.

honey: 亲爱的,宝贝  tropical: 热带的 

亲爱的,他现在就应该在某个热带岛屿的某处,和Micah一起度过他的人生。

-Niki: I want you out of my son's life.

 我要你离我儿子远点。

-Grandma: Yeah, well, people in hell want ice water. It doesn't mean they're going to get it.

 hell: 地狱 

地狱里的人想要冰水喝,并不意味着他们就能得到。(本义)

 人们总是喜欢得寸进尺,但并不意味着他们就能为所欲为。(引申义)

-Niki: Paulette, you have no idea what I am capable of.

capable: 有能力的

Paulette,你根本不知道我能做些什么。

-Matt: You want to tell me why I'm still here,

 你能告我为什么还要在这里吗?

 or am I just gonna follow you around?

gonna: <> 将要(=going to)  follow: 跟随

否则我就这么跟着你到处走?

-Audrey: I need you to talk to her. Find out what she knows.

 我要你和她谈谈,看她都知道些什么。

-Matt: Talk to who?

 和谁谈?

-Audrey: Molly Walker. The little girl you found.

Molly Walker。你找到的那个小女孩。

 We're keeping her here, where it's safe, until we can figure out what to do with her.

我们让她呆在这,很安全,直到我们商量出怎么办

 She's been through a severe trauma.

severe: 剧烈的,严重的  trauma: 精神创伤,外伤

她受到了严重的精神创伤。

 Both parents murdered right in front of her.

murder: 谋杀

父母都在她面前被杀害。

 She hasn't said a word since we brought her here.

我们带她来这里后,她一句话也没说过。

-Matt: What makes you think she's gonna talk to me?

 是什么让你觉得她会和我说话?

-Audrey: Well, if you're really a mind reader, she won't need to.

如果你真的会读心术,她根本不需要开口。

-Matt: Who is this Sylar? What's he doing?

 Sylar是谁?他是干什么的?

-Audrey: We've pieced a trail across a dozen states. All people impaled by household objects.

piece: 修补, 结合  trail: 一连串  dozen: (一)打,十二个  impale: 刺穿  household: 家庭的  object: 物品,物体

我们把12个州的相关线索连到一起,发现所有人都是被家用物品刺穿的。

 Bones broken all without any traceable sign of physical contact

bone: 骨头  traceable: 可追踪的  sign: 迹象  physical: 身体的  contact: 接触

并伴有骨折。全都没有留下任何身体接触过的线索。

 But only some of them involve any mutilation of the head or neck,

involve: 包含  mutilation: 切断,毁损

不过只有一部分人的头部和颈部被扭断。

 So they don't see the connections.

connection: 联系,关系

所以查不出他们之间有什么联系。

-Matt: You think it's all him.

 你认为全是他一个人做的。

-Audrey: I think it's gonna get a lot worse if someone doesn't go after him.

我想如果没人在后面效仿他,这会变得更糟糕。

-Suresh: Mr. Sylar? Hello?

 Sylar先生?在吗?

-Eden: Shh. What are you actually gonna do if Sylar's in there?

 actually: 事实上

嘘。如果Sylar在的话,你打算怎么做?

 

[quietly]

 

-Suresh: If Sylar killed my father, I need to know why.

 如果是Sylar杀害了我父亲,我要知道他为什么那么做。

 I suppose that would have been too easy.

suppose: 认为,以为

也许没那么简单。

-Eden: Let's go.

 我们还是走吧。

-Suresh: No, all the answers could be behind this door.

 不,所有的答案可能就在这扇门后面。

-Eden: It's locked, and I'm kinda trying not to freak out now.

locked: 锁着的

它是锁着的,我尽量不去精神紧张。

 So can we ease just go? Or we could just break in.

我们能不能先离开这?要不然就破门而入。

 

[Camera beeping]

 camera: 照相机  beep: 发出嘟嘟声

 

-Eden: A little light reading before bed

睡觉前的消遣读物。

-Suresh: Oh, my God.

 我的天。

-Eden: That map, those strings. It's exactly like your father's.

 string: 线,带  exactly: 全然,完全地

那张地图,那些线。简直就和你父亲的一样。

-Suresh: Not exactly. This map has more of them. Dozens more.

 不完全是。这张地图上的线更多,多十几条。

-Eden: I know that guy. He's running for Congress.

 Congress: 美国国会(由参议院和众议院组成)

我知道这个人。他正在参加国会议员选举。

-Suresh: His life may be in danger.

 他可能有生命危险了。

-Eden: Okay, can we please go now?

 好了,我们现在能走了吗?

-Suresh: Not yet.

 还不行。

-Eden: Mohinder

 Mohinder

-Suresh: Dear God. What was my father involved with?

天啊,我父亲牵涉到什么里面来了?

 

[Elevator bell dings]

elevator: 电梯

 

-Audrey: We're keeping her in a safe room down here.

我们把她留在下面一个安全的房间里。

 

[Girl screaming]

 scream: 尖叫,惊叫

 

-Audrey: It's him. It's Sylar. Freeze!

 freeze: 站住不动,突然停止

是他。是Sylar。不许动。

-Matt: Hey. Hey, remember me?

 嘿,嘿,还记得我吗?

It's okay. It's okay.

没事,没事的。

 No one's gonna hurt you, honey.

gonna: <> 将要(=going to)

 亲爱的,没人会伤害你。

 

 [Molly thinking]

How could he find me?

 他怎么找到我的?

 

-Matt: That doesn't matter. That doesn't matter.

matter: 要紧

不要紧,没事了。

 You're safe now. You're safe. All right. All right.

你现在安全了,很安全。好了,没事。

-Audrey: Show me your hands! Do it or I'll put you down!

举起手来!快点!不然我开枪了!

-Matt: You okay?

 你没事吧?

 

[Speaking Japanese]

 

-Ando: I’m confused. You said you called me when you went in the future.

confused: 困惑的,烦恼的

我不明白。你说你在未来打过电话给我。

-Hiro: Yeah, So

 是啊。怎么了?

-Ando: So, shouldn’t I be at home… waiting for your call.

 那我不是应该在家里…等你的电话么。

-Hiro: We’re changing the future. By taking action we’ve changed something.

action: 行动

我们要去改变未来,要采取行动改变事情。

-Ando: What if we make it worse? And if there’s going to be a nuclear explosion…

 nuclear: 原子核的,原子能的  explosion: 爆炸

如果我们弄得更糟怎么办?而且如果真的有核爆炸。。。

 Shouldn’t we be flying away from the bomb?

bomb: 轰击,轰炸

我们能从爆炸中逃出来吗?

-Hiro: A hero doesn’t run away from his destiny. My only concern is…

 destiny: 命运  concern: 关心;关心的事

 一个真正的英雄是不会向命运低头的。我关心的是…

Whether I need to hide my true identity. Perhaps a costume

hide: 隐藏  identity: 身份  perhaps: 也许  costume: 服装,剧装 

是否该掩盖我真正的命运。也许该来件戏服?

 You even mention tights a cane.

 mention: 提到,谈到  tight: [复数](舞蹈演员、杂技演员等穿的)紧身衣  cane: 手杖,藤杖

你还说过紧身衣和手杖。

-Ando: I’m going home

我要回家。

-Hiro: You can’t go home. The comic book says we fly together so we fly together

 你不能回家。漫画书上说是一起乘飞机的 我们就得一起。

-Ando: Does it say we have to fly coach?

coach: 客机上的)二等舱

说没说我们必须要坐经济舱飞?

-Peter: Simone.

 Simone

-Simone: Oh, hey. I was just coming up to check on my dad. Where are you going?

我是来看我父亲的。你要去哪儿?

 Aren't you supposed to be on your shift?

shift: 接班 

 你不是来换班的吗?

-Peter: I was just filling in my replacement, and saying bye to your dad.

replacement: 交换,更换,代替者

我就是来找人替我的,并和你爸爸道别。

-Simone: What?

 什么?

 Come here a second.

 过来一下。

-Simone: No.

 不。

-Peter: I'm quitting.

 quit: 辞职

我辞职了。

-Simone: Why?

 为什么?

-Peter: I called the agency and told them this morning.

 agency: 代理,代理处

我今早打电话告诉代理人了。

-Simone: But my father

 但是我父亲。

-Peter: Caroline's gonna take really great care

 Caroline会照顾得很好

-Simone: But she's not you.

 但他不是你。

-Peter: This is not where I'm supposed to be. It's not what I'm supposed to do.

我也不想这样。这并非我所愿。

 I can't really explain it.

explain: 解释,说明

我真的不知道该怎么说。

 

[Sighs]

sigh: 叹气

 

-Simone: Well, try.

说说看。

-Peter: Look, the truth is, I've been trying to save the world, one person at a time.

truth: 真相,事实  save: 拯救

事实是这样,我想要拯救世界,某个时候一个人。

but I'm meant for something bigger. Something important.

不过我指的是更大的事,很重要的。

I know it now. That's

现在我知道了。那就是。

That's really all I can tell you. Bye.

我能告诉你的真的就这些了。

-Simone: I'll miss you.

 我会想你的。

-Peter: It's New York. Everyone runs into each other sooner or later.

这是纽约。大家迟早都会邂逅的。

-Simone: Maybe it'll be sooner.

 也许很快就会。

 

[Rock music playing]

 rock: 摇滚乐[rock'n'roll的简写]  play: 演奏

 

-Jackie: Flames were everywhere.

flame: (木柴、煤等的)火焰,火舌

到处都是火。

 Oh, my God, I could hear the poor man coughing somewhere inside the train car.

cough: 咳嗽  inside: ...里面

天哪,我听见那个可怜的男人在火车厢里面的某处咳嗽。

 But there was smoke everywhere. I couldn't see him.

smoke:

但四周都是烟。我看不见他。

 I was so scared, you guys. I was really scared.

scared: 害怕的  guy: (男)人,家伙

我很害怕,我真的害怕极了。

-Brody: Nice effigy

 effigy: 假人,模拟像

 人偶不错。

 

[laughs]

 

-Claire: Thanks. I stayed up all night stuffing it with newspaper.

stuff: 填满,塞满

谢谢。我用报纸塞了一整夜

-Brody: I would have filled his head with firecrackers, but that's just me.

 firecracker: 爆竹,鞭炮 

要是我就会把他脑袋塞满鞭炮,但那只是我的想法。

-Claire: That would have been cool.

 cool: 极好的,极妙的

那会很酷的。

-Brody: Careful if you stand too close, you'll end up like that guy

 close: 靠近的

小心点。如果你靠的太近,就会像那家伙一样玩完了。

-Claire: I'm not as flammable as he is.

 flammable: 易燃的,可燃性的

我不像他一样那么容易着火。

-Brody: Dale Ledgerwood's got a keg in the back of his truck.

 keg: 小桶,桶  truck: 卡车

Dale Ledgerwood的车后面有个酒桶。

-Claire: Are you sure this is okay?

 你确定没问题吗?

-Brody: We're 30 miles from home. Who's gonna know?

 mile: 英里

我们离家30英里远,谁会知道?

 

[Coughs]

 cough: 咳嗽

Jackie told me you wanna meet your real mom and dad.

 wanna=want to:(仅能用于口语)想要

Jackie和我说你要见你的亲生父母了。

-Claire: I told Jackie that in confidence.

confidence: 秘密

我告诉过Jackie要保密的。