Season 1, Episode 2: Moral.Waiver
-Loker: Dr. Lightman, the guys from Homeland Security are here.
homeland: 国土 security: 安全
Lightman博士,国土安全部的人来了。
They want your assessment of the new handheld polygraph.
assessment: 评估 handheld: 手持式 polygraph: 测谎仪
想要最新手携式测谎器的评估。
-Lightman: I'll be right there.
我马上就去。
-Questioner: Do you work at the department of Homeland Security?
department: 部门
你在国土安全部工作吗?
-Interviewee: Yes.
是的。
-Loker: Yeah.
嗯
-Questioner: Do You have black hair?
你是黑头发吗?
-Interviewee: Yes.
是的
-Tom: See, the handheld measures cardio and galvanic skin response.
measure: 测量 cardio: 心率,有氧运动 galvanic skin response: 皮电反应
瞧,手携测谎器能探测心率及皮肤流电反应,
It's the only polygraph ever developed with this kind of portability.
polygraph: 测谎器 develop: 发明,发展 portability: 可携带,轻便
目前所有测谎设备中,只有它最为轻便。
-Interviewee: Oh, not quite.
不见得吧。
-Foster: Uh, Cal, you know secretary Miller from Homeland Security.
secretary: 部长,书记
Cal 这位是国土安全部的Miller部长。
-Lightman: Good to see you.
很高兴见到你。
-Foster: And this is Tom Whitmore, the new TSA deputy.
deputy: 副的,代理的
这位是Tom Whitmore,运输安全管理局(TSA)新任副局长。
-Tom: What the hell is this?
what the hell: 究竟是什么
这是什么鬼东西?
-Lightman: It's a lie detector.
lie detector: 测谎器
谎言探测器。
The West Africans used them first.
first: 首先
由西非人首先使用。
When you're on trial, you held the egg in your hands,
on trial: 受审,在审判中
在法庭上,手里拿着这个蛋,
and if it broke, it's a sign of anxiety.
break: 打破,断掉 sign: 符号,迹象 anxiety: 焦虑
要是蛋碎了,说明你心里焦虑,
You were found guilty.
guilty: 有罪的,内疚的
就会被判有罪。
-Tom: Well, I'd say our handheld's a little more advanced.
advanced: 高级的,先进的
那我觉得,咱的手携式家伙更先进点儿。
-Lightman: Well, unfortunately, both devices suffer from the same problem.
unfortunately: 不幸地 device: 设备 suffer from: 遭受 problem: 问题
很可惜啊,两个设备都有一个问题。
Uh, Ms. Cooper, would you mind?
Cooper女士,过来一下?
- Ms. Cooper: May I?
介意我来吗?
-Lightman: Could you ask the control questions again, please?
again: 又,再
再问一下设定的问题吧
-Tom: What are you doing?
你这是干什么?
- Ms. Cooper: Do you work at the department of Homeland Security?
你在国土安全部工作吗?
-Interviewee: Uh, yes.
呃,是。
- Ms. Cooper : Do You have black hair?
你是黑头发吗?
-Interviewee: Yes.
是的。
-Lightman: The problem with all polygraph tests is false positives.
false: 假的 positive: 积极的,阳性的
所有测谎设备的缺陷在于它们都会谎报
-Foster: Innocent people can fail if they feel an increase in any emotion—
innocent: 无辜的 fail: 失败,不及格 increase: 增加 emotion: 情感,情绪
无辜的人,若是任何情绪开始滋长:
anger, fear, sexual arousal.
anger: 愤怒 fear: 恐惧 sexual arousal: 性兴奋
愤怒,恐惧,或是性兴奋,照样可能通不过测谎
Not just guilt.
guilt: 罪行,内疚
可不光只有负罪感
Your polygraph is no better than the egg at telling us which emotion it's responding to.
no better than: 和…一样不好 respond to: 反应,回答
你们的测谎手段,比那蛋好不到哪儿去。都没法识别被测者到底身负何感。
-Tom: No.
才不是呢。
-Lightman: I've been waiting to try that for years.
wait: 等待
哎呀,那么多年了我一直都想试试。
E, you would have been found guilty, but you were just angry.
angry: 生气的
你看,要是在庭上你可就要戴罪了,可你只是生气。
You should be, uh, spending your money studying the face.
spend: 花费
你还是花点儿钱来学学看脸识谎吧。
43 muscles combine to produce a possibility of 10,000 expressions.
muscle: 肌肉 combine: 联合,结合 produce: 创造,制造 possibility: 可能性 expression: 表情,表达
43块肌肉大约能协同组合出一万种表情。
Now, if you learn them all, you don't need a polygraph.
learn: 学习,熟悉
要是你都能掌握,就用不着测谎仪了
-Miller: How much did we spend on this damn project anyway?
damn: 该死的,可恶的 project: 工程,项目
为了这该死的项目咱砸了多少钱了?
-Tom: Uh, not much. I'm sure we can recoup most of our costs.
recoup: 重获,补偿
不多啦,我想大多数花销都可以弥补。
-Lightman: Now, that was lovely.
lovely: 可爱的,令人愉快的
有意思。
-Miller: What?
什么?
-Lightman: A gestural retreat.
gestural: 手势的,姿势的 retreat: 撤退,向后倾
退缩的姿势。
-Miller: What's that?
啥意思?
-Lightman: His step backwards. Means he doesn't believe a word he just said.
step: 步,踏级 backwards: 向后 believe: 相信
他下意识地退缩表明他其实也不信自己的话。
He's lying.
他说谎呢。
-Nixon: Well, I'm not a crook.
crook: 骗子,恶棍
我可不是骗子。
I've earned everything I've done.
earn: 挣得的
我的一切都是努力得到的。
-Lightman: What do you see?
你看到什么了?
-Foster: I see a skeptical, emotionally distant scientist obsessing over facial twitches.
skeptical: 怀疑的 distant: 遥远的,远的 scientist: 科学家 obsess: 缠住,迷住 facial: 脸部的 twitch: 扯,抽动
我看到一个满心怀疑,不近人情的科学家对人脸的抽动着了迷。
Why are you doing micro expression training?
micro: 微小的 training: 训练
为什么做微表情训练?
-Lightman: Well, I got it set at triple speed.
triple: 三倍的
我把它设成3倍速度了。
You know, when you try and hide your emotions, they leak out at a fifth of a second?
hide: 藏,隐瞒 emotion: 感情,情绪 leak out: 泄漏 fifth: 五分之一 second: 秒
你知道,你努力掩饰表情,还是会闪现五分之一秒。
Well, this is testing me at a 15th of a second.
而这一训练中,表情之闪现15分之一秒。
-Foster: Impressive.
impressive: 给人印象深刻的
挺厉害
You know who else is impressive on that thing?
知道还有谁也厉害不?
-Lightman: Is this another attempt to get me to take Ms. Torres under my wing?
attempt to: 努力,企图 wing: 翅膀,羽翼
又来说服我,要我收Torres?
You need somebody to back you on the military case.
back on: 支持 military: 军队,军人 case: 案例
军方的案子总要有人支持着吧。
I got you for that.
那不是有你帮着我嘛。
-Foster: I'll be courtside with Earl White.
courtside: 球场边缘区
我将和Earl White一起坐在球员席。
It's a freshman shooting guard, hottest NBA prospect in the country.
freshman: 大学一年级学生 shooting guard: 得分后卫 prospect: 景色,希望,展望
一年级得分后卫进入NBA前景一片光明。
College athletic association wants us to find out if he took a bribe to play for GWCU.
college: 学院 athletic association: 大学体育协会 bribe: 贿赂
大学体育总会希望我们查明他是否收受了贿赂为GWCU打球。
-Lightman: Well, we got a meeting at Fort Meade in half an hour.
fort: 堡垒,要塞
半小时后在米德堡军事基地有个会。
-Foster: Look, I'll... I'll meet you there later,
我晚点去那儿找你,行不?
Okay, but let's get Torres involved.
involve: 涉及,参与
让Torres也参与进来吧。
She's a natural. She's got phenomenal instincts.
phenomenal: 现象的,能知觉的,异常的 instinct: 直觉
她有天赋,天资过人啊
-Lightman: Doesn't mean she knows the science.
science: 科学
不代表她就懂这一行。
-Ria: Dr. Foster said you wanted to see me?
Foster博士说你想见我?
-Lightman: What do you see?
你看见什么了?
-Ria: Anger.
愤怒
Fear.
恐惧
Sadness.
悲伤
-Lightman: Let's go.
出发吧。
-Harris: Specialist Sheila Lake has served with the 23rd mountain division for three years,
serve: 服务,服役 mountain division: 山地师
特种兵Sheila Lake已在第23山地师服役三年,
two of those in Afghanistan.
其中两年在阿富汗。
Lake is asserting that she was raped by her platoon leader,
assert: 主张,声明 rape: 强奸 platoon leader: 排长
Lake声称自己被排长强奸,
Staff Sergeant Russell Scott.
staff sergeant: 上士
也就是Russell Scott上士
We'd like you to find out if the allegation's true.
allegation: 断言,主张
我们希望你们能查明真相。
-Specialist A: Lake. Lake!
Lake,Lake!
Grab your gear and report to the staff judge advocate.
grab: 抓,握 gear: 工具,用具 the staff: 员工总称 judge advocate: 军法官,军法检察官
拿好你的东西,去军法官那儿报道。
-Ria: Is Sergeant Scott being court-martialed?
court-martial: 军事法庭,交军事法庭审判
Scott上士交由军事法庭审判了吗?
-Harris: We're not there yet.
还没到那一步。
Sergeant Scott's leadership is crucial to the tribal intelligence missions we're running on the Pakistani border.
leadership: 领导,领导才干 crucial: 关键 tribal: 部落的,种族的 intelligence: 情报 mission: 任务,使命 border: 边境
我军正在巴基斯坦边境执行情报任务,而Scott上士的领导对此举足轻重
We start a court-martial proceeding,
court-martial: 军事法庭 proceed: 诉讼程序
我们已向军事法庭提起诉讼,
He'll be off the line for six months.
他将停止执行6个月任务。
-Lightman: Then, I'm afraid we can't help you.
那我们怕是帮不上忙了。
-Harris: Excuse me?
拜托?
-Lightman: Hire us when you want the truth.
hire: 雇请
想知道真相了再来找我们。
Why waste taxpayers' money if that's not what you're after?
waste: 浪费 taxpayer: 纳税人
如果目标并非如此何必浪费纳税人的钱呢?
-Harris: Dr. Lightman, my first concern is the safety of every woman in that platoon.
concern: 关心,关切的事 platoon: 排,团,一组
Lightman博士,我最关心的是那个排里其他女兵的安全。
That's why we're investigating.
investigate: 调查,研究
所以我们才展开调查。
But Sergeant Scott passed a polygraph.
但Scott上士通过了测谎。
-Lightman: Yeah, well, I bet his grandmother didn't think he did it, either.
I bet: 我敢说
对,我肯定他奶奶也觉得他是清白的。
That's equally reliable.
reliable: 可靠的,可信的
这和测谎没多大区别,都不可靠。
-Harris: Look, Sergeant Scott's set to redeploy in three days.
deploy: 调换,调动 redeploy: 重新调配
按计划,Scott上士三天后就将接受重新调配。
He's the only commander who can recognize hostiles on that border.
commander: 指挥官,司令官 recognize: 认出,承认 hostile: 怀敌意的,敌对的
在巴方边境他是唯一能辨识出敌方的指挥官,
Without him, the mission's more dangerous for every soldier in the 23rd.
dangerous: 危险的 solider: 士兵
如果他不在,对23师的每个士兵来说任务都将更加危险。
I certainly can't have a rapist in charge of the females in that platoon,
rapist: 强奸者 in charge of: 掌管,负责,主管 female: 女性
当然,我也不能让强奸犯领导一个排,
but if I'm going to pull Sergeant Scott off the line,
off the line: 撤掉,停职
但要我撤掉Scott上士,
I need to know this woman is telling the truth.
truth: 事实,确实
我得先确定那女人说的是真话。
-Foster: Six-five, moves like he's five-one.
six-five: 意思为6.5英尺 1英尺=30.48厘米
1米98的大块头,移动快的像1米55的小个子,
Could dunk at ten, won the state championship at 14.
dunk: 扣篮 championship: 冠军
12岁就能灌篮 14岁赢得州冠军,
National high school player of the year the last three years.
过去三年都是高中联赛年度最佳球员。
-Loker: I would not have pegged you for a hoops geek.
peg: 钉木椿【此处意为归入,划分】 hoop: 铁环,箍,叫声 geek: 野人
没想到你那么迷篮球呐。
-Foster: You know the fifth-grade boy with the vintage Dr. J poster
vintage: 一组具有共同特征的人或事件 poster: 海报,广告
知道那个五年级的小子不?有朱利叶斯-欧文(前NBA球星)的绝版海报,
and the instant recall of his career stats?
instant: 立即的,瞬间的 recall: 回忆,召回 career: 职业,事业 stats: 统计
随口就能说出他职业生涯的技术统计。
I was that boy.
那就是我啊。
-Jeremy : Dr. Foster? I'm Jeremy Levine with the athletic association.
athletic: 运动的 association: 协会,社团
Foster博士?我是大学体育总会的Jeremy Levine
Thanks for coming down.
多谢你们能来。
-Foster: Who doesn't enjoy a day watching Earl White do his thing?
enjoy: 享受,喜欢
能享受Earl White的表演谁会不愿意?
-Jeremy: Howard Taft certainly does.
Howard Taft肯定是心甘情愿。
He's the alumni booster who allegedly paid Earl $50,000 to come and play for Carver.
alumni: 毕业生,校友 booster: 支持 allegedly: 据称,依其申述
作为校友,他赞助球队据称他付给Earl5万块为Carver打球。
We'd like to investigate this quietly.
investigate: 调查 quietly: 平静的,安静的
我们希望调查能秘密进行。
Earl's a good kid. He lost his mom last year.
Earl这孩子不错,去年母亲去世了,
He's raising his brother on his own.
raise: 抚养
他独自抚养弟弟。
-Loker: Plus, he's gonna go pro this spring, and you don't want any more bad press for the "one and done" rule.
gonna=going to pro: 正面地 spring: 春季 press: 新闻界,压力
今年春天就将转为职业球员可不希望还没登场就出负面新闻。
-Jeremy: Making kids go to college for a year before they turn pro forces them to take high school more seriously.
college: 学院 force: 强迫,迫使 pro: =professional 职业人员(这里指职业球员) seriously: 严肃地,认真的
转为职业球员前让孩子进大学待上一年,能让他们在高中里更努力。
-Loker: It also forces young superstars to play a year of college ball, jacking up ratings and revenues.
superstar: 超级明星 jack up: 顶起,顶高 ratings: 评定等级 revenues: 财政收入,收入
这也给了潜力球员机会,打一年大学联赛提高排名增加收入
-Foster: Loker here has a hard time with half-truths.
这位Loker先生心里从来憋不了话。
-Jeremy: Earl White, Dr. Gillian Foster and her associate ,Eli Loker.
associate: 同伴,伙伴
Earl White,这位是Gillian Foster博士,还有她的同事Eli Loker。
-Earl: You folks are the lie guys, right?
folks: 人们
你们是谎话专家(测谎专家)吧?
-Foster: More the truth guys, but it depends on the case.
depend on: 依靠,取决于
应该是实话专家吧,不过具体情况具体分析。
Just a little time to chat?
有时间聊聊吗?
-Earl: You know, I have to take my little brother home, and I got an econ midterm tomorrow.
econ: 经济学的 midterm: 期中考试,期中的
我得送弟弟回家明天还有电子商务期中考,
Need to get with the books, you know?
得温温书了呀。
But hit my cell later.
你们晚点打我手机吧。
Anything I can do to clear my name.
要我做什么都行我得给自己正名
-Foster: Appreciate it.
appreciate: 感激
很好。
-Jeremy: Any quick reads?
看出什么苗头了?
-Loker: His speech was hurried, and he brought that basketball to his chest, creating a barrier between us.
speech: 演讲,说话 hurried: 匆忙的,慌忙的 brought: bring的过去式,带来 chest: 胸
create: 创造,制造 barrier: 屏障,障碍 between: 在…之间
他说话很急,还将篮球举到胸前像是与我们之间形成障碍,
Those are both signs of anxiety.
sign: 标志,信号 anxiety: 焦虑
这些都是焦虑的表现。
-Foster: Well, that's something any college athlete might feel when he's been accused of taking a bribe.
athlete: 运动员 be accused of: 被指控 take a bribe: 受贿
不管哪个大学球员,要是被指控受贿都会有这样的反应。
We're not magicians. We're scientists.
magician: 魔术师
我们并非魔术师,我们是科学家。
We'll need to talk to Earl and the booster to spot any conclusive signs of lying.
spot: 认出,照射 conclusive: 决定性的,确实的,最后的
我们得和Earl还有他的赞助人都谈谈,仔细辨识是否确有说谎迹象。
-Lake: I'm not naive, okay?
naive: 天真的,幼稚的
我可不天真。
When you sign up to be one of four women in a platoon of 30 guys,
sign up: 报名从军,签字参加 platoon: 排,团
作为仅有的4个女人之一,加入这个有30个男人的排
guys who aren't gonna see another woman for six months, well…
gonna=going to
这些大老爷们 6个月都见不着其他女人
like they say in girl scouts, "be prepared."
scout: 童子军,侦察员
就像当年在女童子军里学到的一样 "时刻准备着"。
-Ria: So, you were harassed?
harassed: 厌烦的,疲倦的【此处意为性骚扰】
你被骚扰了?
-Lake: Porn in the latrines...
porn: 色情描写 latrine: 厕所
在厕所看淫秽的东西,
Jody Calls.
行军口号
-Ria: Jody Calls?
行军口号?
-Lake: I taught that bitch her left then right
bitch: 母狗,泼妇
我教训那婊子,先左再右
nailed her ass then left last night.
nail: 钉,使牢固 ass: 驴,愚蠢的人,臀部
昨晚干的她爽歪歪,我就开溜儿。
-Ria: Got it.
懂了。
-Lake: Yeah.
好的。
-Ria: Did staff Sergeant Scott participate in any of this?
staff sergeant: 上士 participate: 参加
Scott上士也参与了吗?
-Lake: He didn't make jokes or anything, but...oh, his hands were everywhere.
joke: 玩笑
他倒没有开玩笑什么的,但...他那双手,可是从不老实。
He liked to walk in on us while we were changing, if we were in the showers.
shower: 沐浴,阵雨
我们换衣服时,他会无意走进来或者我们洗澡时。
-Ria: Tell us about the attack.
attack: 袭击,攻击
跟我们说说骚扰的事。
-Lake: I was, uh...
我正在呃...
I was on my way back from a workout.
workout: 练习
我训练完在营地的路上
Ran into him behind the mess.
run into: 撞见,遇到 mess: 聚餐,用膳【此处意为食堂】
在食堂后面碰到他。
And he ordered me to strip.
strip: 脱衣,剥夺
他命令我脱掉衣服,
He grabbed me.
grab: 抓取,抢去
他抓住我
He pinned me down.
pin: 钉住,压住
把我按倒
And he assaulted me.
assault: 袭击,突袭
侵犯了我。
I was sexually assaulted.
我被性侵犯了。
-Ria: Hey, what's up with the mime act?
what’s up: 怎么了,发生什么事了 mime: 哑剧
嘿,你怎么变哑巴了?
-Lightman: You ask the questions, I observe.
observe: 观察,留意
你问问题,我观察。
-Foster: Dr. Lightman finds asking questions distracting.
distract: 转移,分心
Lightman博士觉得问问题会分心,
He prefers to watch.
prefer to: 更喜欢,宁可
他更喜欢观察。
-Lightman: You finish the psych profile on the guy she's accused?
psych: 心灵,心理 profile: 概要,人物简介
她控告的人,你做完心理分析了吗?
-Foster: Nice to see you, too.
我也很高兴见到你
-Ria: What's his problem?
他有什么问题?
-Foster: Friendly fire. "Collateral damage."
friendly: 友好的 collateral: 间接的,并行的,附随的,旁系的 damage: 破坏,毁坏
向自己人开火 "间接伤害"
You can start with the lies in the language.
你可以以谎言开头。
-Ria: Bet they're not gonna end there.
但不可能以谎言而终
-Scott: Last Tuesday? I went to dinner.
上周二? 我去吃饭,
I had a few drinks at the NCO club.
NCO=Non-Commissioned Officer: 前军士
在前武装部队仕官俱乐部喝了几杯酒,
I stopped by the PX, and then headed back to the barracks.
PX: 请交换,专用小交换机 barrack: 兵舍,军营
顺便去了趟便利店然后就回兵营了。
-Ria: Tell me again--start with drinks.
再说一次--从喝酒那里开始。
-Scott: Drinks, PX, barracks.
喝酒便利店兵营
Toothpaste and deodorant. I have the receipt.
toothpaste: 牙膏 deodorant: 除臭剂 receipt: 收据
牙膏和除臭剂,我有收据为证
-Ria: You weren't anywhere near the mess hall?
根本没去过食堂附近?
-Scott: I just said I wasn't.
我刚说过我没去。
-Ria: And you're telling me you didn't attack specialist Lake?
specialist: 专家,专员
你是说你没有侵犯Lake特种兵?
-Scott: That's exactly what I'm saying, and while we're on the subject…
exactly: 精确地,准确地 subject: 科目
我就这意思.还有咱谈这问题的时候…
-Lightman: Okay. That's good.
好了,很好。
Thanks for your time.
谢谢你的时间。
Hey, you. Whoa, quite a biceps you have there.
biceps: 二头肌
嘿,好大一块二头肌呀。
You must really love the weight room, huh?
看样子你很喜欢待在举重房里哈?
I don't normally mix business with pleasure, but...
normally: 通常的,正常的 mix: 混合,弄混 business: 商业,生意,事务 pleasure: 高兴,愉快
我通常不会公私不分,不过...
And I was wondering you fancy grabbing a drink later or…
wonder: 想知道 fancy: 精美的,想像的
你愿意一会儿一起去喝杯酒吗?或者…
-Scott: Uh, I'm not gay.
呃我不是同性恋
And isn't this a little inappropriate?
inappropriate: 不适当的,不相称的
而且不觉得这样不像话吗?
-Lightman: Absolutely. Sorry.
absolutely: 绝对地,完全地
的确是,对不起。
-Scott: Right,excuse me.
好吧,失陪了。
-Ria: What the hell was that?
你搞什么?
-Lightman: I love a man in uniform, you know?
uniform: 制服
我喜欢穿制服的男人,知道不?
-Foster: The rape was unplanned, one time, with no additional violence.
rape: 强奸 unplanned: 无计划的,意外的 additional: 额外的,附加的 violence: 暴力
强奸并无事先预谋,只发生一次且没有附加暴力,
That suggests a power assertive rapist, somebody who is obsessed with masculinity,
suggest: 建议,提出,表明 assertive: 断定的,过分自信的 obsessed: 着迷的 masculinity: 男子气概
这说明一个过分自信的强奸犯迷恋男子气概的人,
who needs others to see him as a man.
需要别人认同他是个男人。
-Lightman: If Sergeant Scott fit the profile, he would have reacted to my overture with one emotion…disgust.
profile: 概要,人物简介 react: 反应 overture: 提议,提案 disgust: 讨厌,厌烦
如果Scott上士符合以上特征,那么对我的表现他只会感觉--恶心
-Ria: There was no disgust, just surprise.
他没觉得恶心,只有惊讶。
-Lightman: Correct-eyebrows up, jaw down.
eyebrows: 眉毛 jaw: 颚,颌
正确--眉毛上扬,下颚下垂。
-Ria: Okay, but... the guy was totally armed up.
arm: 武器,装备
好吧,但是...但这个家伙戒备十足。
-Lightman: Yeah, but he showed no deception leakage, right, no sign of lying.
deception: 欺骗,欺诈,骗局 leakage: 泄露
是的,但是他没有露出马脚。好了,没有撒谎的痕迹。
-Ria: He looked like he wanted to throw me across the room.
throw: 投,掷,抛
他看上去简直就想把我扔出去。
-Foster: A man charged with rapist even more likely to be angry if he's innocent.
be charged with: 充满,控告 angry: 愤怒的,生气的 innocent: 无辜的
无辜的人被控告强奸会更愤怒。
-Ria: Well, they can't both be telling the truth.
他俩不可能说的都是真话。
-Lightman: They're not.
没有都说真话。
Sheila Lake made two mouth shrugs when she was describing the rape.
shrug: 耸肩 describe: 描述
Sheila Lake描述强奸过程时嘴角瘪了两下,
That's a classic gestural slip.
classic: 经典的 gestural: 手势的,表情的 slip: 错误,下滑
那是经典的犯错表情。
It means she has no confidence in her words.
confidence: 信心
这表明她对自己的话没有信心,
The woman was lying.
那女人在撒谎。
-Lake: I was sexually assaulted.
我被性侵犯了。
-Ria: You really think a woman would lie about rape?
你真觉得女人会撒谎说被强奸?
-Lightman: Unpleasant truths, human mortality, a moustache on a woman—
unpleasant: 使人不愉快的,讨厌的 mortality: 死亡率 moustache: 胡子
不中听的真话,人口死亡率,女人长胡子--
three things we'd all prefer to ignore.
ignore: 忽略,忽视
这三种事情我们宁愿视而不见。
-Foster: FBI crime reports have found that eight percent of rape allegations are false.
crime: 犯罪 report: 报告,报导 allegation: 断言,主张,辩解
FBI的犯罪报告证实 8%的强奸案是假报的。
-Ria: Okay, but the army that I worked with at TSA said that sexual assault was a big problem.
好吧,我在TSA一起共事的老兵都说性侵犯是个很严重问题。
-Lightman: It doesn't explain the gestural slip.
explain: 解释
这无法解释犯错表情。
-Foster: Lake's also not exhibiting any of the emotions a rape victim typically displays when recounting her story.
exhibit: 展现,陈列 victim: 受害者 typically: 典型的 display: 显示,表现 recount: 叙述,详述,重新计算
Lake重述遭遇时也没有流露出强奸受害者的典型表情。
-Lightman: No shame... no fear.
shame: 耻辱,羞辱
没有感到耻辱...没有感到害怕。
-Lightman: We should be seeing a lot of activity in the forehead, but there isn't any.
activity: 活动
应该能在额头看见很多的表情但是什么也没有。
-Ria: Maybe she's got post-traumatic stress.
traumatic: 外伤,创伤 stress: 紧张,压力
也许她患上了创伤后应激障碍。
-Foster: Emotional numbing might explain her inability to express her feelings...
numb: 使…麻木,使…昏迷 inability: 无能,无力 express: 表达
情绪上的麻木也许可以解释她无法表达自己的感受...
-Lightman: But not the mouth shrug.
但是不能解释瘪嘴。
-Ria: Look, I'm telling you, there's something off about Sergeant Scott.
听着,我跟你说Scott上士有点不对劲。
-Lightman: You know, I once had actors play out the testimony from a rape case
testimony: 证据,证言
知道吗,我曾经叫一个演员表演一段强奸案的证词,
in front of 30 federal judges.
in front of: 在…前面 federal: 联邦的
在30个联邦法官面前。
And you know the biggest predictor of whether they believed the man or the woman?
predictor: 预言者
知道怎么最有效判断法官是相信男方还是女方吗?
The gender of the judge.
gender: 性别
看法官的性别。
-Ria: You think I'm saying he's guilty 'cause I'm a woman?
guilty: 有罪的,内疚的
你觉得我认为他有罪是因为我是女人?
-Lightman: Me, Darwin, and 2,000 years of evolutionary biology.
evolutionary: 进化的,发展的 biology: 生物学
不光是我,还有达尔文和2000年来的生物进化论。
-Foster: Well, I think what Dr. Lightman is trying to say is
我想Lightman博士想说的是
that it's important not to let what you bring in the room affect what you see in the room.
affect: 影响
不要让你的感受蒙蔽了你的眼睛。
-Heidi: Dr. Lightman?
Lightman博士?
-Lightman: What is it?
什么事?
-Heidi: Harassment report. Opportunity rep just sent it over.
harassment: 骚扰
性骚扰报告,平等机会资助申请组织刚刚发过来的。
Looks like it was filed anonymously last fall.
anonymously: 匿名地
去年八月匿名登记。
-Foster: It alleges Sergeant Scott surprised women in the showers
allege: 断言,宣称
报告上称Scott上士闯进女浴室,
and entered their barracks unannounced.
enter: 进入 barrack: 兵舍,军营 unannounced: 未经宣布的,未通知的
而且未通报就进入她们的兵营。
-Ria: Hmm, backs up Lake's story.
back up: 支持
哼,对Lake很有利啊。
-Lightman: You know, generally it's not a good idea to call your boss an idiot.
generally: 一般地 idiot: 傻瓜,笨蛋
知道吗,一般来说把老板叫成傻冒儿可不高明。
-Ria: I didn't say you were an idi...
我没有说你是个傻...
-Lightman: But your buccinator did.
buccinator: 颊肌,颊筋
但是你颊肌说了。
-Ria: That's not...
那不是...
-Lightman: oh, that's a pretty impressive combination of contempt and disgust.
pretty: 相当地 impressive: 印象深刻地 combination: 结合 contempt: 轻蔑
噢这是轻蔑和厌恶的漂亮结合体。
-Ria: I'M... I'm S... I...
我... 我对... 我...
-Lightman: Apology accepted.
apology: 道歉
接受你的道歉。
-Foster: Head back to Fort Meade and check into the personnel files of the woman and the sergeant.
head back: 回去 personnel: 个人的,人事的 sergeant: 警官,中士
回米德堡检查那女兵和那中士的档案,
And hang in there.
hang in: 坚持
还有,挺住。
You should consider going a little easier on Torres.
consider: 考虑
你得考虑对Torres友好点。
-Lightman: Why?
为什么?
She's all false positives.
她只会误报。
See, that's the trouble with naturals.
trouble: 麻烦
瞧,这就是天赋过人的麻烦。
They don't see what's missing.
miss: 错过,缺失
根本看不到缺少了什么。
They're all instinct and no science.
instinct: 本能,直觉
只会凭直觉,不靠科学。
I'll have a falafel sandwich, please.
falafel sandwich: 三明治
我要个沙拉三明治。
-Foster: An Italian ice. Grape.
grape: 葡萄
意式冰激凌,葡萄味
-Lightman: You wash your hands today?
你今天洗手了吗?
-Waiter: Uh, yeah, of course.
呃当然洗了
-Lightman: Do you have any kind of pain in your neck?
pain: 疼痛,痛苦 neck: 脖子
你脖子疼吗?
-Waiter: Uh, no. Why?
呃,没有,为什么这么问?
-Lightman: People touch it when they lie.
人们撒谎时会摸脖子。
It's a classic manipulator.
这是个经典的机械反应
You been to the bathroom today?
bathroom: 浴室
你今天上过厕所吗?
-Foster: Cal.
Cal
-Waiter: Uh, no.
呃,没有。
-Lightman: Oh, great.
噢,太好了。
Anybody else want a side of feces?
feces: 渣滓,排泄物,粪便
谁要来一份大便配菜?
Anybody? Side of feces?
谁要? 大便配菜要不?
-Loker: If an alum took me here, I would want to play hoops for Carver.
alum: 明矾,校友,毕业生 hoop: 箍,环
如果校友带我来这里我也愿意为Carver打球。
-Foster: I bet it made an impression on Earl White.
impression: 印象
我相信Earl White会对此印象深刻
-Loker: Why is it guys named White are always black and guys named black are always White?
为什么姓White(白)的总是黑人,而姓Black(黑)的总是白人?
-Foster: Am I going to be sorry you're here?
想我后悔带你来吗?
-Loker: Barry White, Jack Black.
Barry White (黑人歌手),Jack Black (白人影星)
-Foster: Does your radical honesty pledge mean you have to say everything you think?
radical: 彻底的,激进的,根本的 honesty: 诚实 pledge: 保证,誓言
你绝对诚实所以你会坦白所有想法吗?
-Loker: It's the only way to be truly honest.
只有这样才能绝对诚实。
-Foster: Let's turn it off while we're working, shall we?
turn…off: 关闭
工作的时候就暂时关闭一下好吗?
Now, what do we know about the booster?
booster: 支持者
关于这个赞助人,我们知道些什么?
-Loker: Uh, Howard Taft, Forty-five, made his money on internet job boards,
make money: 赚钱
呃 Howard Taft 45岁,靠网络发的家,
led the funding campaign for Carver's new athletic center.
led: lead过去式,领导 campaign: 运动,活动 athletic: 运动的
带头募集了Carver新运动中心的资金
Apparently he likes giving back.
apparently: 明显地
很显然,他喜欢回报。
-Foster: Mr. Taft, thanks for agreeing to talk with us.
agree to: 同意
Taft先生,谢谢你答应和我们见面。
-Taft: Always a pleasure to talk Carver basketball, Dr. Foster.
always: 一直,总是 pleasure: 高兴,愉快
我总是很乐意谈论Carver篮球队 Foster博士。
-Loker: Oh, championship ring. Sweet.
championship: 冠军 sweet: 甜的,可爱的
噢,冠军戒指,赞一个。
Must have cost a fortune online.
fortune: 财产
肯定是花大价钱在网上买的吧
-Taft: Actually, I, uh, I earned it riding the pine for the '86 team.
pine: 松树
实际上86年队伍夺冠时,我是板凳队员("直译: 骑松树")
What's that?
那是什么?
-Loker: It's a, uh, voice stress analyzer.
analyzer: 分析机
是个,呃,重读音分析器。
It measures pitch and gauges anxiety.
measure: 测量 pitch: 音高 gauge: 精确计量,估计 anxiety: 焦虑
用来测量音高,计算焦虑值。
-Foster: We find it's less about what you say than how you say it.
我们觉得你如何表达比起你说的内容更重要。
Now, tell us about your relationship with Earl White.
relationship: 关系
跟我们说说你和Earl White的关系吧
-Lake: He ordered me to strip.
他命令我脱掉衣服
He grabbed me...
他抓住我...
-Heidi: Oh, sorry.
噢对不起,
These are specialist Lake's platoon mates.
mate: 伴侣,同伴
这几位是Lake特种兵所在排的战友。
-Lightman: Thanks for coming in.
谢谢你们能来
I want to conduct individual interviews, so if you could come with me, you two stay here.
conduct: 引导,指挥 individual: 个人的
我要逐个面谈,所以请你跟我来,你俩在这里等。
Thanks, Heidi.
谢谢 Heidi
-Lake: Pinned me down.
把我压倒,
And he assaulted me.
侵犯了我。
I was sexually assaulted.
我被性侵犯了。
-Foster: You finish the vocal stress analysis on Taft?
vocal: 声音的 analysis: 分析
搞定Taft的重读音分析了吗?
-Loker: Yeah. Check it out.
嗯,过来看看。
Oh, championship ring. Sweet.
噢,冠军戒指,赞一个。
Must have cost a fortune online.
fortune: 财产,财富
肯定是花大价钱在网上买的吧
-Taft: Actually, I... I earned it riding the pine for the '86 team.
实际上,86年队伍夺冠时,我是板凳队员。
-Loker: Typical vocal stress on a typical question.
typical: 典型的
就典型问题,有典型的重读音。
That's Taft's vocal stress baseline.
baseline: 基线
这是Taft重读音基线。
-Foster: And given how irritating most people find you…
irritating: 刺激的,使愤怒的,气人的
再考虑到你是那么招人烦...
it's a high tolerance baseline.
tolerance: 宽容,容忍 baseline: 基线
那是最高耐受基线。
-Loker: He'd have to be extremely anxious for his pitch to spike above it, so…
extremely: 极其,非常 anxious: 焦虑 spike: 以大钉钉牢,使…失效
只有非常焦虑时,他的音调才会刺穿最高基线,所以…
applying the baseline...
apply: 应用,申请,涂
把这个基线对应上去...
you can see from the spikes that Taft had three moments of extreme anxiety.
extreme: 极度的,极端的
从这些峰值可以看出Taft曾有三次明显的焦虑。
-Foster: Let me guess. That's when he denied bribing our basketball phenom.
guess: 猜 deny: 拒绝 bribe: 贿赂 phenom: 【美口】杰出人才,尤指运动员
我猜猜,是在他否认收买我们的篮球天才时。
-Loker: Yep. Indistinguishable to the ear, but...
indistinguishable: 不能区别的,难区分的
对,凭耳朵是听不出来的但...
-Taft: And, no, I didn't bribe Earl White.
不,我没有收买Earl White。
Really, I didn't give Earl a penny.
penny: 便士
真的,我没有给过Earl一分钱
A bribe? I barely know the kid.
barely: 仅仅,几乎不
收买? 我都不认识那孩子
-Loker: Thanks to the technology, we can see the stress in Taft's voice.
thanks to: 多亏 technology: 技术
多亏了高科技,我们可以辨别出Taft说话时的重读音。
The data suggests young Mr. White just came into a lot of money.
data: 数据 suggest: 建议,提议,表明 come into: 得来,得到
数据表明年轻的White先生突然多出很多钱来。
-Foster: But we've seen no uptick in Earl's spending habits.
uptick: 报升 habit: 习惯
但我们没有发现Earl有大把花钱的习惯。
-Loker: I talked to his friends.
我跟他的朋友们谈过了。
The guy's got no bling, he lives in a
bling: 穿名牌衣服和戴璀璨首饰
这家伙没有奢侈品,坐公车
walk-up with his brother, he takes the bus...
walk-up: 无电梯的公寓
跟他的弟弟住在没有电梯的公寓里...
-Foster: Earl's got a big payday coming as soon as he turns pro.
payday: 发薪日 as soon as: 一…就
Earl一转成职业球员薪水就会大涨。
Why take Taft's money if he's not going to spend it?
如果他不打算花掉Taft的钱那为什么要拿呢?
The psychology's in consistent.
psychology: 心理学 consistent: 一致的,坚持的,始终如一的
从心理学上说不通啊,
We need to get inside Earl's head.
我们得多知道点Earl的想法。
-Loker: You want me to pull recent interview footage,
pull: 拉 recent: 最近的 recent: 近来的,新近的 interview: 会谈,接见 footage: 录像带,影片的镜头
要我看看最近面谈的录像。
see if he leaks anything when he talks about playing for Carver?
leak: 泄漏
看看他在谈起为Carver打球时泄露出了什么吗?
-Foster: Yeah.
对
What's that last sound wave?
sound wave: 声波
最后那条音波是什么?
-Taft: Always a pleasure to talk Carver basketball, Dr. Foster.
我总是很乐意谈论Carver篮球队 Foster博士
-Loker: That is when Taft met you.
那是Taft见你时说的话,
See how the graphs all scrunched up?
graph: 曲线图,图表 scrunch: 碾碎,使弯曲
你看那曲线上扬的
It indicates arousal.
indicate: 指明,表明 arousal: 激励,鼓励【此处意为sexual arousal性兴奋】
这说明他性兴奋了。
Apparently the pine was not the only thing our aging jock wanted to ride.
pine: 松树 aging: 老化,上了年纪的 jock: (大学)运动员
显然,咱这老球员想骑的可不只是松树啊。
-Ria: Hey, can I...
嘿,我可以...
-Foster: Please.
你行行好。
-Ria: Staff Sergeant Scott has a past.
Scott上士过去不光彩。
-Foster: He has a criminal record?
criminal: 犯罪的,刑事的 record: 记录
他有犯罪记录?
-Ria: A long one.
还不少。
-Foster: I thought you couldn't get into the army with a record.
我以为有犯罪记录是不能参军的。
-Ria: You can't, unless they grant you what's called a moral waiver.
unless: 除非 grant: 授予,同意,承认 moral: 道德的 waiver: 放弃,弃权证书
是不行,除非他们授予你"道德免责令"
It used to be just for misdemeanors,
misdemeanor: 坏事
本来只授予轻罪罪犯,
but the army is so stretched for recruits that they're using them to let felons in.
stretch: 伸展,张开,延伸 recruit: 招募 felon: 重罪人
但征兵扩招太多,以致放了很多重刑犯进去。
-Foster: Moral waiver.
道德免责令
The army really has a way with words.
部队还真是会说话。
-Ria: Uh, Sergeant Scott was arrested for possession, arson, assault and battery…
arrest: 逮捕 possession: 财产,所有,拥有 arson: 纵火,纵火罪 assault: 突袭
Scott上士因为侵占私人财产罪,纵火罪以及人身攻击罪而被捕…
-Foster: He has an arson conviction?
conviction: 定罪,信服,坚信
他还被判过纵火罪?
-Ria: He was 16, but the assault's more recent.
那是他16岁时候的事人身攻击却是最近的。
-Foster: No, I-it's the arson that's significant.
significant: 重要的,重大的,相当数量的,有意义的
不,纵火才是最重要的。
Arson and rape have an unusually high correlation.
unusually: 非一般的,不寻常的,异常的 correlation: 相相互关系,关连
纵火与强奸是高度相关的。
They're both crimes about the assertion of power.
assertion: 断言,主张 power: 权力,力量
这两种罪犯通常都是想证明自己的权力
-Ria: So with the arson conviction...
那么,被判过纵火罪...
-Foster: Yeah. It makes the rape a lot more likely.
对,强奸就很有可能了
-Robert: We've seen promising indicators in the Pentium chip market.
promising: 有希望的,有前途的 chip: 薄片,芯片
在奔腾处理器芯片市场上我们看到了光明前景,
Techspring earnings should be strong as ever.
earning: 收入,所得
Techspring的收益会一如继往的丰厚。
-Heidi: Hey, boss.
嘿,老板。
-Lightman: Call my broker, have him dump all my holdings in Techspring.
broker: 经纪人 dump: 倾倒,切断电源
打电话给我的股票经济人叫他把我所持的全部Techspring股抛掉。
-Heidi: Okay. And, uh, I just spoke with major Harris' office.
major: 主修,成年人,陆军少校
好的,我刚才打电话到Harris少校的办室,
I told them you were on your way.
说你正赶过去。
Look at that hand shrug.
你看他一摆手,
It's not a good time to be investing in Techspring.
invest: 投资
现在投资Techspring可不是好时候。
-Foster: We need to talk about Sergeant Scott.
我们得谈谈Scott上士。
-Lightman: This is classified. How'd you get it?
classified: 分类的,被指定为机密的
这是机密文件,你们怎么弄到的?
-Foster: The same way you would have.
跟你用的方式一样。
Given the correlation between arson and rape…
correlation: 相互关系
考虑到纵火与强奸之间的关联...
-Lightman: well, it's interesting, but it's irrelevant, I'm afraid.
irrelevant: 不恰当的,不相关的
呃,真有意思。但我想这二者是不相干的。
Turns out Lake's platoon mates have rather a lot to say.
似乎Lake的战友有很多话要说
-Ria: Heidi said they wouldn't talk about the rape.
Heidi说她们不愿谈强奸的事。
-Lightman: Well, I didn't bring them in to hear them talk.
呃,我不是把她们叫来听她们说话的,
I brought them into watch them listen.
我把她们叫来是看他们听别人说话
-Foster: They turned the video back on, huh?
turn on: 打开
她们把视频又打开了啊?
-Lightman: Yep.
对,
It's human nature.
human nature: 人性
这是人之常情。
They always flip the switch.
flip: 轻击,弹 switch: 开磁
他们自然而然的去按开关。
Hey, natural. What do you see?
嘿,天才,你看到什么?
-Ria: Nothing. I don't see anything.
我什么也没看到
-Lightman: Exactly.
对
-Ria: I don't understand.
understand: 理解,明白
我不明白。
-Lightman: Well, look.
呃,看,
The absence of emotion is...
absence: 缺乏,缺席 emotion: 情感,情绪
没有表情,与...
just as important as the presence of emotion.
presence: 出席,在场
出现表情同样重要。
Now, you, you need to learn that.
现在,你,你得掌握这一点。
-Foster: When women listen to a rape victim they believe, they reflect certain emotions.
victim: 受害者 reflect: 反映,归咎 certain: 一定的
女人们若是相信说话人被强奸,她们听时会做出一定的表情
They blush, avert their eyes, hunch their shoulders.
blush: 脸红 avert: 转开,避免,防止 hunch: 弓起背部,耸肩
她们会脸红,转移视线,耸肩
These women exhibit none of that.
这几个女人一样也没有表现出来
They're not showing any reflectors.
reflector: 反应物
她们没有任何反应
-Ria: So they don't believe it.
这么说她们不相信她
That doesn't prove anything.
prove: 证明
这也证明不了什么。
-Foster: Lake lived with those women for three years and neither one of them is reacting.
neither: 皆不,两者都不
跟Lake生活了三年的那些女人没有一个人做出反应。
They know this rape never happened.
happen: 发生
她们知道这起强奸案从来没有发生过。
-Lightman: You made a false accusation against your sergeant. That's a crime.
accusation: 指控,控告,非难
你造假指控上士,这可是犯罪。
And then there's the other women in your platoon.
你们排还有其他女兵。
You know, we have MPS standing by.
stand by: 站在一边,支持,帮助
我们已经让军警待命了。
If your friends helped you plan this, they're as guilty as you are, right?
如果你的朋友帮你策划的,她们就和你一样有罪,是不?
They know you're lying, don't they?
她们知道你在撒谎,是不是?
Thought so.
好好考虑下。
Have the MPS arrest her platoon mates. They're all in on it.
叫军警逮捕她的战友 ,她们都参与了这事
-Lake: No! Look, they had noth...They had nothing to do with it.
不要! 她们...她们与这件事没有关系。
It was my idea.
是我的主意
-Lightman: Sergeant Scott didn't rape you?
Scott上士没有强奸你?
-Lake: No. He didn't.
是的,他没有。
-Harris: Take Specialist Lake into custody.
custody: 监护,监禁
监禁Lake特种兵。
-Ria: How could you do this?
你怎么会做出这种事?
You know how hard it is for women in the military.
military: 军队
你知道部队里的女人日子多难过吗?
The army has just started to take these claims seriously.
claim: 声称,断言,说明
军方正准备严肃处理这些指控。
There are victims out there who need help.
还有很多需要帮助的受害者
A lot of them.
有很多。
You should be ashamed of yourself.
ashamed: 可耻的
你该为自己感到羞耻。
-Lake: Ashamed?
羞耻?
I may have lied, but I was doing the right thing.
我或许撒了谎,但我做的事是对的。
Okay, I was trying to protect my platoon.
protect: 保护
我是努力保护我们排。
I was doing the right thing.
我没做错!
I was doing the right thing!
我没做错!
-Loker: Ladies, if you could, uh, wait in there,
女士们,你们在那里等着。
I will be taking you in one at a time.
我会一次叫一个人进来。
-Ria: Playing out your favorite fantasies, Loker?
favorite: 最喜欢的 fantasy: 幻想
又在幻想了哇,Loker?
-Loker: Studying the psychological influence of uniforms on credibility.
psychological: 心理的,心理学的 influence: 影响 credibility: 可信性
我是在研究对方穿着制服是否会对识谎者心理有所影响。
Lightman wanted to see how they affect people's ability to spot lies.
affect: 影响 spot: 认出
Lightman想看看这是怎么影响人们识谎能力的。
-Ria: Women in uniform?
穿制服的女人?
-Loker: I do love my work.
我真喜欢我的工作
How's it going with Lightman?
Lightman对你怎么样?
-Ria: Uh, he's not my biggest fan.
啊不算是最待见我吧
-Loker: Well, that's just 'cause you're uneducated.
uneducated: 没受过教育的
呃那是因为你没受过正规训练。
-Ria: Excuse me?
再说一遍?
-Loker: Well, you're a natural.
你有天赋嘛。
The few naturals Llightman's come across have one thing in common.
come across: 碰到,遇到 in common: 共同点,共通的
Lightman碰到过几个天赋过人的都有个共同点,
No college degree.
没有大学学历。
You haven't been asked to focus on verbal skills, so you focus on body language.
focus on: 聚集,关注 verbal: 动词的,口头的,用文字的
你们没有被要求关注语言技能 ,所以你们关注肢体语言。
-Ria: You're saying I can't learn the science.
你是说我学不来科学啊。
-Loker: I'm saying you didn't have to.
我是说你不必去学。
That's got to be irritating for a guy who's spent two decades trying to see what you were born seeing.
irritating: 刺激的,气人的 decade: 十年
他学了20年才看得见的东西你生来就看得见他还不恼死啊
-Ria: Thanks. That's very un-Loker of you.
谢了,这可真不像你Loker说的话。
-Loker: I've never been with a Latina woman.
我从来没有跟拉丁女人共事过。
-Ria: Don't push it.
别操之过急
-Lightman: How's it going with the ballplayer?
那个打篮球的家伙怎么样了?
-Foster: Ballplayers play baseball.
打棒球呗。
-Lightman: Yeah.
是啊
-Foster: Chicken dumpling?
鸡肉饺子?
-Lightman: Oh, no. Never eat meat I can't see.
哦,不,从来不吃看不见的肉,
No. Really. No. You have no idea what's in there.
别吃真的别吃你都不知道里面有什么
-Foster: Take a look at this.
看看这个。
Earl White just took state for the third time.
Earl White 第三次赢得州冠军。
The kid's on the list of every NBA scout in the country,
这孩子出现在全国每个NBA球探的名单上
but when asked about playing pro ball…
但每当被问起进职业队时...
-Lightman: Chin thrust. He's angry.
chin: 下巴 thrust: 插入,刺,推挤
下巴就用力,他在生气。
-Foster: Very.
很生气啊。
Earl White should be on top of the world. Why is he secretly angry?
secretly: 背地里,秘密地
Earl White应该是顶尖球员了,为什么还暗暗生气呢?
-Lightman: I spot the liars. You're the feelings department.
我只管识谎,至于感情的部分,你来判断
Follow me.
跟我来。
I got something for you.
我有些东西给你看
Okay, would you lie to right a wrong?
right: 纠正
你会说谎来维护正义吗?
-Foster: Depends. Why?
看情况,为什么这么问?
-Lightman: Lake lied, but then said she was protecting her platoon.
Lake撒谎了,但又说是为了保护她们排。
-Lake: I'm doing the right thing.
我没做错!
-Lightman: She said it with conviction, and with no deception leakage.
conviction: 确信,坚信 deception: 欺诈,欺骗 leakage: 泄露
她说得很坚决,绝对不是在说谎。
-Foster: How does accusing your commander of rape protect the platoon?
accuse: 责备,控告 commander: 指挥官
指控自己的长官强奸怎么是保护自己的排呢?
-Lightman: That's what I asked myself.
我也是这么问自己的
Okay, these are the individual interviews with her platoon mates.
再看,这是跟她的战友单独的面谈
Watch what happens when they discuss Sergeant Scott.
discuss: 讨论
看她们说到Scott上士时的表情
-Lake’s mate A: Sergeant Scott is a strong leader.
Scott上士很有号召力。
I'm glad Sergeant Scott's in command.
command: 命令,指挥,控制
我很乐意服从他的命令。
-Foster: Concealed disgust.
concealed: 隐藏的,隐蔽的
暗暗反感。
-Lightman: Yup. Looks the same every time.
对,每一次看都一样。
-Foster: They know he didn't rape Sheila Lake, but they feel intense disgust for him.
intense: 强烈的
他们都知道他没有强暴Sheila Lake但都对他很反感。
-Lightman: Made me think.
恩,所以我想
What if Sheila Lake didn't lie about everything?
如果Sheila Lake的话不全都是谎言。
What if she lied about the victim, but not the crime?
如果受害人是假,但强暴是真?
-Foster: So, you think Sergeant Scott raped someone else in the platoon?
platoon: 排,团
你认为Scott上士强暴了排里另一个人?
-Lightman: The harassment report, arson conviction-both consistent with the profile of a rapist, right?
consistent: 符合,与…一致 profile: 侧面,概要,特征
骚扰报告,纵火罪,两者都符合强奸犯的特征,对吧?
What if the real victim is too scared to come forward?
scared: 害怕的 come forward: 自告奋勇,主动要求做某事
会不会是真正的受害者不敢站出来?
-Foster: So Lake accuses Sergeant Scott to right a past wrong,
accuse: 责备,控告
所以Lake控诉Scott 希望以此来维护正义,
and to protect the other women in the platoon.
并且保护排里其他的女性。
Do you think Scott raped one of them?
你觉得Scott强暴了她们中的某个人?
-Lightman: No. None of them is exhibiting any fear.
exhibit: 展览,陈列,呈现
不,她们中没有任何人表现出恐惧。
-Foster: It could have been someone who was transferred, or killed in combat.
transfer: 转移,调转,调任 combat: 争斗,奋斗
那人很有可能已经被调走了或者战死。
-Ria: I thought we were done with this case.
我以为这个案子我们已经做完了。
-Foster: No. It's possible Sergeant Scott raped someone who used to be in the platoon.
possible: 可能的
不,有可能是Scott上士强暴了某个曾经在这个排的人。
-Lightman: Your buccinator's playing up again.
buccinator: 颊肌 play up: 加油,鼓吹
你的颊肌又开始用力了。
-Ria: It's not... I didn't say...
不是的...我没有说...
-Lightman: Oh, look. Now you're embarrassed.
embarrassed: 难堪的,尴尬的
瞧现在你觉得难堪了,
Well, you have every reason to be.
当然了你有足够的理由难堪
You did get it wrong, didn't you?
你的确没搞错啊,对吧?
I mean, Sergeant Scott didn't rape Sheila Lake.
Scott上士没有强暴Sheila Lake。
-Foster: Cal...
Cal...
-Lightman: What? She's the one making snide comments. Look at her face.
snide: 讽刺的,含沙射影的 comment: 注释,评论
怎么了? 是她一直在损我啊,你看她的脸!
-Ria: How do people work here?
这儿的人都是怎么工作的
-Lightman: Sergeant Scott redeploys within 24 hours.
redeploy: 调动,调换
Scott上士24小时之内就要调走了。
I want you to get a hold of military personnel.
我需要你弄到军队的人事资料。
I want the historic roster for the platoon right away.
historic: 有历史意义的,以前的 roster值勤表,花名册 right away: 立刻,马上
还有立刻给我这个部队以前的人员名单
-Ria: Got it.
好的
-Lightman: What?
什么?
Oh, what, now you're starting on me?
不会吧,你要向我开炮了?
Don't say something you'll regret. And I saw that.
regret: 后悔
你说话小心后悔哦,我看到了。
-Foster: Can I have a muffin?
muffin: 松饼
给我一个松饼。
-Loker: Ah, no. No, no, no, you don't want the muffins here. They are terrible.
terrible: 可怕的,糟糕的。
不不不,别买这儿的,难吃死了
They taste like sofa cushions covered with the moldy nuts your grandmother used to keep in that old jar on her…
sofa: 沙发 cushion: 垫子,橡皮软垫 moldy: 发霉的 jar: 广口瓶
那口味就像一沙发垫子,上面放着你奶奶保存在大缸里的发霉的坚果…
-Foster: Okay, Okay.
好好好
Between you and Lightman, a girl could starve.
stare: 饿得要死
只要Lightman和你在,啥姑娘都能饿死。
Do you have something for me?
查到什么了?
-Loker: Yeah, um...I've been watching tape of Earl, l trying to understand what's behind the anger.
恩,我一直在看录像,想弄明白Earl到底生的是什么气
Uh, nothing so far, but I did come up with this expression.
so far: 目前为止 come up: 开始,发生 expression: 表达,表情
目前没什么发现,但是我看到了这个表情。
I've been through the facial coding book, and there's elements of au-four and au-five.
facial: 脸部的,表面的 code: 密码,把…编码 element: 元素,成分,要素
我查了那本表情编码的书,有AU-4和AU-5的要素。
But it's not anger.
但是不是愤怒
-Foster: No. It's not.
对,不是愤怒。
Can we pull up full STAT for Earl over the year?
能弄到Earl全年的技术统计吗?
-Loker: Sure. What emotion is it?
当然了,这是什么情感来着?
-Foster: It's not an emotion.
这不是什么情感。
-Journalist: And Earlier, CEO Robert Rosiello tried to calm investors
calm: 平静下来,使平静 investor: 投资者
不久前,执行总裁Robert Rosiello曾经想平息投资者的愤怒,
after Techspring shares plummeted in the wake of a subpar Q1 earnings report.
plummet: 垂直 subpar: 在平均水平以下的,在一般标准以下的 Q1: 第一季度
因为第一季度收益报表发布后,Techspring公司的股价直线滑落。
-Robert: This is entirely unexpected.
entirely: 完全地 unexpected: 想不到的,意外的
这完全出乎人们的意料。
I'm sure we'll rebound in the second quarter.
rebound: 反弹,弹回,跳回 quarter: 四分之一,季度
我很确定第二季度我们会反弹的。
-Lightman: You know, for a CEO, this guy's a terrible liar.
这破CEO 连骗人都不会骗。
You talk to personnel at Fort Meade?
你跟米德堡的人事谈过了?
-Ria: None of the women in the 23rd died in combat, but there's one who went AWOL.
AWOL: 擅离职守
23师不曾有女兵战死可有个女兵擅离职守。
Rebecca Metz was on the 23rd's roster in Afghanistan.
roster: 值勤表,花名册
Rebecca Metz在23师驻阿富汗的名册上。
Went AWOL four months ago, shortly after her transfer request was denied.
shortly after: 在…之后不久 transfer: 调任,调转 request: 要求
4个月前擅离职守当时她的调动申请刚刚被拒。
-Lightman: She tried to transfer out of her platoon?
她曾经试图申请调离这个排?
-Ria: That's not all.
不仅如此。
Here's a copy of the anonymous harassment report on Sergeant Scott.
anonymous: 匿名的
这里有一份Scott上士的匿名骚扰报告,
Handwriting's the same.
字迹如出一辙。
-Lightman: They have any idea where she is?
他们知道她在哪吗?
-Ria: No, but the number of AWOL soldiers has doubled since we invaded Iraq.
invade: 侵入,拥入 AWOL: Absent Without Official Leave擅离职守
不知道,在我们入侵伊拉克之后,擅离职守军人的数量多了一倍。
I doubt they got the manpower to play that much hide-and-seek.
doubt: 怀疑 manpower: 人力 hide-and-seek: 捉迷藏
我怀疑他们人力不够,没法天天玩捉迷藏。
-Lightman: Well, she's got relatives in Baltimore, right?
relatives: 亲戚
她在巴尔的摩有亲戚是吧。
-Ria: Yeah.
对
-Lightman: Hate to miss a family reunion.
family reunion: 家庭团聚
我可不想错过亲人重逢。
-Metz’ grandpa: Hello?
你们好。
Uh, what can I do for you?
呃有什么事?
-Lightman: Looking for your granddaughter, Rebecca Metz?
我们在找你的孙女 Rebecca Metz?
-Metz’ grandpa: Not here.
她不在这。
-Lightman: Sounds good. You mind if I borrow this?
很好介意我借一下这个吗?
-Metz’ grandpa: What? Where are you going?
干吗? 你要去哪?
-Lightman: Help!
救命啊!
Help!
救命啊!
-Metz: Grandpa? Grand...
爷爷? 爷爷...
-Lightman: Help.
救命啊。
-Ria: Sheila admitted she was lying, but she said she was trying to protect the platoon.
admit: 承认
Sheila承认她撒了谎,却说这么做是为了保护整个排。
-Metz: I don't know what this has to do with me.
我不了解这和我有什么关系。
-Lightman: Sheila didn't make everything up.
make up: 编造
Sheila并没有捏造一切。
We know why you went AWOL.
我们知道你为什么擅离职守。
-Ria: We're not here for the army.
我们不是代表军方来的,
We just want to know what happened.
我们只想知道发生了什么。
-Metz: I, uh...never had a problem with Sergeant Scott in the states.
我呃...在国内从未和Scott上士有过瓜葛。
He wasn't louder gross like the other guys. But…
gross: 总数,总量
他不像其他兵那么吵嚷,叫人作呕,可是...
but on our first day in Afghanistan, after curfew,
curfew: 宵禁
可是到阿富汗的第一天宵禁之后...
he came in my tent.
tent: 帐篷
他进了我的帐篷。
-Lightman: He raped you?
对你施暴?
-Metz: The sergeant's in charge.
in charge: 负责,主管
上士掌管一切。
He's supposed to have your back.
be supposed to: 应该,应当
他本应为你撑腰,
My job is to say yes.
我的职责就只能说 "是"
Yes, sir.
是长官
-Ria: It happened more than once?
这发生了不止一次?
-Metz: Almost every night over there... for months.
almost: 几乎
在那儿,几乎每个晚上... 好几个月。
I couldn't take it anymore. When we got back, I just…
我无法忍受,一回国我就...
-Ria: You ran.
你逃走了。
-Lightman: You need to come with us.
你得跟我们走一趟。
Your platoon redeploys tomorrow.
redeploy: 重新调配
你的排明天将重新部署人手。
You can't let the army send those women back to Afghanistan with Sergeant Scott.
你不能再让军方把那些女兵和Scott上士一起派去阿富汗。
-Metz: I can't go back.
我不能回去。
-Ria: Well, what about Sheila? She lied for you.
那Sheila怎么办? 她为你而撒谎。
-Metz: I... I can't.
我... 我不能
-Ria: Rebecca...
Rebecca...
-Metz: No. I...
不我...
-Lightman: Okay. Okay then.
好吧,好吧
Sorry to barge in.
barge in: 闯入,干预
很抱歉那么鲁莽地冲进来。
-Ria: What are you doing?
你要干什么?
-Lightman: I'm going back to the base.
我准备回基地。
-Ria: But...
可是...
-Lightman: okay.
好了。
-Ria: How did... Did they follow us here?
怎么回事... 他们跟踪我们?
-Lightman: Oh, no. I called them.
没,我打电话给他们的。
-Metz: Leave me alone.
离我远点。
-Ria: Rebecca...
Rebecca...
-Metz: I know you called the MPS.
我知道你给军警打过电话了。
-Lightman: Well, I had hoped you'd talk,
我只是希望你自己开口。
But, yeah, I had them standing by.
不过也叫他们待命了
-Ria: Rebecca, if you explain to us...
explain: 解释
Rebecca 如果你能跟我们解释...
-Metz: Don't you get it?
你难道还不懂吗?
Do you have any idea what it's like to be a woman in the military?
military: 军队
你知道女兵在队中是什么感觉吗?
You're either a bitch or a whore.
bitch: 母狗,泼妇 whore: 妓女,淫妇
不是泼就是荡。
And they're just waiting for you to fail, to admit you can't hack it.
hack: 完成
他们就等着你崩溃,等着你承认自己不行。
-Lightman: Well, then, go to jail. That'll sh 'em.
jail: 监狱
那就去蹲号子呗,这能让他们闭嘴。
Be all you can be.
做你自己。
-Ria: You're scared.
你害怕了。
You are still scared of Sergeant Scott.
你还怕Scott上士?
-Metz: I'm not afraid of him.
我不怕他。
-Lightman: You're afraid of something.
但你一定是怕什么。
-Metz: I'm afraid they won't believe me.
believe: 相信
我怕他们不相信我。
-Lightman: Ah, it doesn't matter if they believe you.
他们相不相信你无所谓,
They'll believe me.
他们信我的。
-Foster: Hey, Earl. Thanks for taking the time.
嘿 Earl,谢谢你抽时间。
By the way, I'm a big fan. Would you mind?
by the way: 顺便说一下,顺便问一下
顺便说下,我是你的粉丝,能给我签个名不?
-Earl: Oh, no problem.
哦,没问题。
-Foster: Bet this'll be worth a lot some day.
bet: 打赌
我敢说这签名以后会很值钱。
-Earl: Oh, yeah.
哦那当然。
Autographs, shoes, bobble heads.
autograph: 亲笔签名 bobble: 轻摇
签名,球鞋,小公仔
Pro ball is big business.
职业篮球联赛商机无限啊。
-Foster: See the chin thrust?
chin: 下巴 thrust: 刺,推挤
看到他抬下巴了么?
-Earl: What?
什么?
-Loker: You thrust your chin out. That's a sign of anger.
thrust: 推 chin: 下巴 sign: 迹象,符号
你把下巴抬起来了,说明你很愤怒。
-Foster: You do it whenever you talk about your pro career.
每当说到自己职业生涯时,你就会这么做。
I think it's 'cause you're angry you're not gonna have one.
我觉得你之所以愤怒,是因为你无法拥有了什么?
-Loker: Hey, Earl, catch.
嗨 Earl,接住。
We've seen that before, too.
这个我们之前也见过
You make that face almost every time you catch a pass these days.
最近你每次接传球的时候都是这样的表情。
-Earl: It's intensity.
intensity: 激烈,强度,剧烈
是因为活动剧烈。
-Foster: No, actually, it's pain.
actually: 实际上,事实上
不,事实上,是因为疼痛。
Doctors call it the primal face of pain.
primal: 最初的,原始的
医生都管这叫疼痛的原始表现。
It's universal.
universal: 普遍的,通用的
对谁都一样。
So what is it, Earl?
怎么回事 Earl?
Carpal tunnel? Arthritis?
carpal tunnel: 腕管,屈肌管 arthritis: 关节炎
腕管疼痛? 关节炎?
- Earl: Look, you know how many hours I've spent shooting free throws?
free throw: 罚球
你们知道我打篮球打了多久么?
I've busted my ass on the court since I was nine.
bust: 毁灭,毁坏 court: 法院,庭院,球场
从9岁起我就在球场上拼命,
I'm raising my brother, trying to pay the rent--
我把弟弟养大,努力付房租。
a big pro contract was gonna change all that.
contract: 合同
一纸职业合同能改变这一切。
But you know who drafts someone with erosive arthritis?
draft: 起草,征兵 erosive: 侵蚀的 arthritis: 关节炎
但谁愿意招募一个有侵蚀性关节炎的球员?
Nobody.
没人愿意。
-Foster: So you took the bribe.
于是你就受贿
-Earl: Look, I could've gone pro out of high school,
听着我本来高中一毕业就能成为职业球员
but the athletic association needs its big tournament,
tournament: 比赛,锦标赛
但体育总会要筹备锦标赛。
so I gotta spend my last good year playing college ball for nothing.
我最后健康的一年只能在大学里打球,毫无回报。
Look, Mr. Taft's check was the only payday I was gonna get.
check: 支票
Taft先生付给我的钱是我唯一的收入来源,
You telling me you wouldn't have taken that money?
你跟我说说,换了你,这钱你能不要么?
-Harris: I told the post commander this matter was settled.
commander: 司令官,指挥官 settle: 解决,安放
我跟派来的指挥官说这问题已经解决了。
Sergeant Scott is vital to our efforts.
vital: 至关重要的,生死攸关的,有活力的,充满生机的
Scott中士对我们的工作至关重要。
He's supposed to be on a plane at 01:00 hours.
他一点钟要上飞机。
-Lightman: I guess if the army's going to jeopardize the safety of women, it should be done on time, right?
jeopardize: 危害,使受危困
要是部队想妨害妇女安全那可得及时下手啊是吧?
-Harris: Private Metz was AWOL for five months.
Metz军官擅离职守5个月,
You're sure her allegation has merit?
allegation: 断言,主张,辩解 merit: 价值,真相
你确定她的申诉值得相信?
-Lightman: I'm telling you she's not lying.
我只能说她没有撒谎。
-Harris: Sergeant Scott.
Scott上士,
I'm convening an article 32court-martial hearing next week.
convene: 集合,召集 martial: 军事的,战争的
依照法令第32条我下周将召开一次军事法庭听证会。
Unpack your gear, son.
别打包了,同志。
-Scott’s attorney: Major Harris, my client would like to avoid any unnecessary delay.
client: 客户,委托人 avoid: 避免 unnecessary: 不必要的 delay: 耽搁,延迟
Harris少校我的客户希望避免任何不必要的耽搁。
-Harris: He wants to plead out?
plead: 辩护,恳求
他愿为自己辩护么?
-Scott: Our mission on the Pakistani border is critical to our safety here at home
mission: 使命,任务 border: 边界 critical: 关键的
我们在巴基斯坦边境的任务与祖国安全关系重大,
and I have a responsibility to my platoon.
responsibility: 责任
我肩负全排的责任。
So, yes, I'm ready to plead guilty to fraternization.
fraternization: 结有深交
所以,如果深交也是一种罪过,我甘愿俯首认罪。
-Ria: Fraternization?
深交?
-Scott’s attorney: Sergeant Scott had a consensual relationship with private Metz.
consensual: 在两愿下成立的
Scott上士与Metz军官两情相悦。
-Scott: Becky was my girlfriend, sir.
Becky是我的女朋友,先生。
-Scott’s attorney: This photo was taken during the period when my client was allegedly raping private Metz.
依其申述这张照片是我的客户"强奸"Metz军官期间拍摄的。
-Harris: Do you have others like this?
这样的照片还有么?
-Scott’s attorney: We have several, major.
several: 几个,若干
还有几张,少校。
-Harris: You still want to tell me she's not lying?
你还是确定她没撒谎么?
-Lightman: Isolate Rebecca Metz.
isolate: 使孤立,使隔离
分解Rebecca Metz的表情。
-Ria: There's something not right about her smile.
她的笑容有点不对劲,
She doesn't look happy.
她看上去不怎么开心啊。
-Lightman: Push in on her eyes.
push in: 推进
放大眼部区域。
Brow up, pulled together.
brow: 眉毛
眉毛上挑,挤在一起,
-Foster: She's scared.
她很恐惧。
-Lightman: Yeah, it's a masking smile.
masking: 遮蔽
是啊,笑容是装的。
She's smiling but her eyes say she's afraid.
她虽然在笑,但眼神却说明她恐惧。
Very afraid.
相当恐惧。
-Foster: Will you pull up the masking smiles?
pull up: 拉起
能把伪装的笑容调出来么?
-Ria: Yeah.
可以
-Foster: Miss South Carolina can't show fear to the judges;
南卡罗来纳小姐不能让评委看出她的恐慌,
Sarah Palin has the same problem with the press.
Sarah Palin面对媒体也是一样,
Rebecca Metz with her platoon leader.
Rebecca Metz跟她的排长。
-Ria: Right, she doesn't want to be involved with Sergeant Scott,
be involved with: 涉及
是啊,她不想跟Scott上士在一块,
but he's her commander, she's got to do what he says.
但他是她的长官,她必须言听计从。
-Lightman: He wants sex, right?
他想跟她上床,对吧?
She feels forced to give it to him.
force: 强迫
她觉得自己不得不同意他的要求
She can't say no.
她无法反抗
It's nonconsensual. It's rape.
nonconsensual: 非相互同意的
这不是两情相悦这是强奸
-Foster: Army psychologists have reported several recent cases like this.
psychologist: 心理学家 recent: 新近的,近来的
军队的心理医生最近报告了很多类似案例,
They're calling it "command rape."
他们管这叫 "命令强奸"。
It's comparable to sexual harassment, but much more extreme.
comparable: 可比较的,比得上的 extreme: 极端的
与性骚扰有些类似,但更加极端。
-Ria: When your boss makes advances, you're scared of losing your job.
advance: 进步
上司得寸进尺自己是害怕丢了工作,
But if it's your platoon leader, you're scared of losing your life.
但假如是你的排长,你就会害怕丢了性命
-Lightman: Sergeant Scott redeploys tonight, we have to get back to Fort Meade.
redeploy: 调动,调换
Scott上士今晚就会被调走,我们得赶紧去米德堡基地
-Metz: They won't believe it was rape.
他们不会相信是强奸的,
Sergeant Scott never raised a hand.
Scott连只手都没抬过。
-Lightman: It doesn't matter that he didn't attack you physically.
physically: 身体上的
他是否对你动过粗,这并不重要。
You were coerced.
coerced: 强迫,强制
你是被迫的。
-Metz: No one's going to see it that way.
没人会这么看的
I never actually said no.
我从没真正拒绝过
-Ria: He was responsible for your safety. You had to feel threatened.
threatened: 被威胁的
他负责你们的安全你必然是受到了威胁。
-Metz: I was terrified.
terrified: 恐惧的,受惊吓的
我被吓坏了。
Everyone knew if you crossed him, he'd make you drive lead.
谁都知道要是把他惹恼了,他就会让你打头阵
-Ria: Drive lead?
打头阵?
-Metz: Lead truck in the convoy.
truck: 卡车 convoy: 护送,护卫
护送先头车队。
It's the most vulnerable to a roadside bomb.
vulnerable: 易受攻击的 roadside: 路边 bomb: 炸弹
如果路边有炸弹,这是最危险的位置。
I had a friend die that way.
我有个朋友就是这样牺牲的
I knew from the first time he came into my tent that if I said no,
他第一次来我帐篷的时候,
I'd be riving lead for a month.
我就得打一个月头阵。
-Metz: So you just took it. You never said no?
所以你就接受了,从不反抗?
-Lightman: Well, that's what you'll tell major Harris.
你跟Harris少校就得这么说。
-Metz: He'll never believe me.
他绝不会相信我。
-Lightman: Sure he will. We'll put you on a polygraph.
他当然会信我们会给你用测谎器。
They love them over there.
他们特爱这玩意。
-Metz: He'll never say it that way. Sergeant Scott never made me drive lead.
他不会那么想的,Scott上士从没让我打过头阵。
And he'll never admit he would have.
他也不会承认他会这么做。
-Ria: She's right. We still don't have any proof that he was tying her safety to sex.
proof: 证据 tie: 绑,系
她说得没错我们还是没法证明他是利用她的安全来胁迫她就范。
-Metz: The truth isn't good enough for these people.
对这些人来说真相还远远不够。
-Lightman: Who said anything about the truth?
谁说我要用真相说话?
-Questioner: Is your name Rebecca Metz?
你叫Rebecca Metz?
-Metz: Yes.
是的。
-Questioner: And are you a private first class with the 23rd Mountain Division?
你是第23山地师的甲等军官么?
-Metz: Yes.
是的。
-Questioner: Did you have a relationship with staff Sergeant Scott?
你和Russell Scott上士交往过么?
-Metz: No.
没有。
-Questioner: Private Metz, let me rephrase.
rephrase: 重新措辞
Metz军官,我换个说法,
Were you physically involved with staff Sergeant Scott when you serving in Afghanistan?
在阿富汗服役期间你和Scott上士是否有过身体上的交往?
-Metz: Yes. He forced me to have sex with him.
是的他强迫我跟他上床
-Scott: We had a relationship!
我们当时在交往啊!
-Questioner: He ordered you to have sex with him?
他命令你和他上床?
-Metz: No. But he was my commanding officer, I didn't have a choice.
没有,但他是我的指挥官,我别无选择。
-Questioner: Did you ever refuse to have sex with Sergeant Scott?
refuse: 拒绝
你拒绝过与Scott上士上床么?
-Metz: Yes... once.
拒绝过... 一次
He forced me to drive lead convoy for a week.
convoy: 护送,护卫
他就强迫我打了一个星期的头阵
-Scott: That's a lie.
她这是胡扯
-Harris: If she's lying, it graphs above the red bar here?
她要是说了假话图像就会超出红线。
-Lightman: That's right. Machine says it's true.
没错,机器确认她说的是实话。
-Scott: Well, it's not true!
这不是真的!
-Lightman: The polygraph says it is.
测谎器说是真的。
-Scott: I don't care what the machine says. She's making it up.
我才不管这机器说啥呢,她满口胡言乱语。
I never made her drive lead!
我从没让她打过头阵!
-Lightman: You never made her drive lead?
你从没让她打过头阵?
-Scott: No!
没有!
-Lightman: I thought that duty rotates.
rotate: 使旋转
我以为任务都是轮换的呢。
You never made her drive lead?
你却从没让她打过头阵?
-Scott: I-I never made her drive lead! It's a lie!
我从没让她打过头阵!她是胡说呢!
-Scott’s attorney: Sergeant, you don't have to respond.
respond: 反应,回报,回答
上士,你不需要回答。
-Lightman: So, as long she was in a relationship with you, she never had to drive lead.
那么只要她跟你好着,她就永远不需要打头阵,
Is that right?
这话对不?
-Scott’s attorney: Sergeant Scott...
Scott上士...
-Lightman: Is that right, Sergeant Scott?
这话对不 Scott上士?
-Scott’s attorney: Sergeant Scott, don't...
Scott上士别接茬...
-Lightman: Is that right, Sergeant Scott?
这话对不 Scott上士?
-Scott’s attorney: You don't have to respond.
你不需要回答。
-Scott: Yeah! Yeah, that's right.
对! 没错,就是这样。
What? What?
怎么? 怎么?
-Lightman: Well, her safety was in your charge.
她的安全掌握在你手里,
You traded her safety for sex.
trade: 交易,交换
你以此来要挟她上床。
-Scott’s attorney: Major Harris, my client doesn't understand...
Harris少校我的客户不明白...
-Harris: Yes, he does.
行了,他明白着呢。
What he did wasn't fraternization.
fraternization: 结有深交
他的所作所为从来不是两情相悦。
It was rape.
就是强奸。
Arrest him under article 120.
依照法规第120条批准逮捕。
-Scott: You don't know what the hell you're talking about.
你根本就不知道你在说什么,
I'm a decorated soldier!
decorated: 装饰的,修饰的
我可是授过勋的军人!
I didn't do anything wrong!
我没做错什么!
-Lightman: Yeah, it sounds good.
是啊听上去不错
-Earl: What do you want, huh?
你想怎样,嗯?
I'm already suspended, they're taking away my scholarship, you hung me out.
suspended: 被暂时搁置的 scholarship: 奖学金 hang out: 挂出,闲逛,把…晾在一边
我被停赛了,奖学金被没收了,你断了我生路。
-Foster: You're the one who took the bribe.
是你自己受贿的。
Look, the system's broken, Earl.
听着,这体制的确很腐败 Earl。
-Earl: And what am I supposed to do, huh?
我到底该怎么做,你说啊?
How am I supposed to take care of my brother?
take care of: 照顾
我要怎么照顾我弟弟?
-Foster: I heard you did pretty well on your econ midterm.
pretty: 相当地 midterm: 期中,期中考试
听说你电子商务期中考试考得相当不错。
-Earl: So?
那又怎样?
-Foster: You want a degree.
你想要有个学位。
So I convinced Dr. Lightman to put our fee into a trust.
convince: 信服,说服 trust: 信任,信托
我说服了Lightman博士用我们的钱建了个信托基金。
Probably not enough for four years at Carver, but it'll get you through Maryland.
probably: 可能,也许 get through: 度过,通过
供你在Carver读4年也许不够,但在马里兰足够了。
-Earl: What if I don't want your money?
要是我不想要你们的钱呢?
-Foster: Then throw it away. It's your Call.
那就扔掉,你自己决定。
-Ria: How did she do it?
她是怎么做到的?
We both know Metz was lying about driving lead convoy.
我们都知道Metz说打过头阵,那完全是撒谎。
How did she beat the polygraph?
beat: 打,打败
她怎么骗过测谎器的?
Valium?
镇静剂?
-Lightman: Yeah.
是啊。
Takes the edge off.
take the edge off: 减弱,消去
让神经不那么紧张。
Mutes the emotional response.
mute: 哑的,无声的【此处意为削弱,消除】 emotional response: 情绪反应
消除情绪反应。
-Ria: You... you drugged her so she could lie?
drug: 投药
你... 你给她吃了药,让她成功撒了谎?
-Lightman: Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.
get in the way of: 妨碍,阻碍
别让事实隐瞒了真相。
You know, I wanted to...
你知道,我想要...
-Ria: Yeah, I know. Thanks.
是的,我知道,谢谢。
-Lightman: For what?
你怎么知道?
-Ria: You had a slight gratitude smile.
slight: 轻微的,纤细的 gratitude: 感激的
你嘴角有一丝感激的微笑。
What, you're surprised? Really?
surprised: 感到惊讶的
怎么,惊讶么? 有啥好惊讶的?
You know, just because I don't know your science doesn't mean I don't know things.
就算我不懂你的研究,我自己也能看出点端倪。
-Lightman: You know, when you don't know the science, you don't see the whole picture.
whole picture: 全貌
如果你不懂这方面的研究,你就无法统揽全局。
People can get hurt, you know?
人们会因此受苦,明白么?
-Ria: What was that? What happened?
happen: 发生
那是什么? 怎么回事?
-Lightman: What?
怎么?
-Ria: Shame.
shame: 羞愧,遗憾的事
羞愧,
When you said people get hurt, you showed shame.
你说人们会受苦的时候,显示出羞愧。
-Lightman: I don't know what you're talking about.
我不知道你在说啥。
-Ria: You're lying.
你是撒谎呢。
-Lightman: Get used to it.
get used to: 弄惯,习惯
慢慢习惯吧。
词汇解析:Polly 校对:Lavinia



评 论



