Season 1, Episode 5:Unchained
unchained: 解放的
-Ria: You really want to help the governor pardon a murderer?
governor: 管理者 pardon: 宽恕,原谅 murderer: 杀人犯,凶手
你真想帮州长赦免杀人犯?
The guy killed a cop. He started the most vicious Latino gang in D.C.
cop: 警察 vicious: 邪恶的 Latino: 拉丁美洲人 gang: 队,群,帮
D.C.: 华盛顿特区
他杀了警察,十恶不赦是拉丁犯罪集团创始人。
Manny Trillo is the original gangster.
original: 原始的 gangster: 匪徒,歹徒
Manny Trillo就是个流氓。
He is responsible for half the crack trade in D.C.
responsible: 负责任的 crack: 裂缝 trade: 贸易
华盛顿至少一半不法交易都与他有关。
Guys like that don't change.
那样的人不会悔改的。
-Cal: Not generally, no.
generally: 一般地
通常说来不会悔改。
Which is why this case is so interesting.
case: 案例 interesting: 有趣的
这也是案例乐趣之所在。
-Prison guard: You have a visitor. Lieutenant governor Goldie.
visitor: 访客 Lieutenant: 中尉,副官 governor: 州长
你有访客,Goldie副州长。
-Trillo: I hear he's bringing friends.
friend: 朋友
好像他带朋友来了。
-Prisoner: Hey, Lambache. You going to kiss the governor's ass again or what, see?
ass: 臀部 governor: 州长
Lambache 你又去巴结州长了,对吧?
Pucker up, ese.
pucker up: 皱起,发脾气
好好巴结吧。
-Glodin: Dr. Lightman.
Lightman博士
I'm lieutenant governor Goldin.
我是副州长Goldin,
Mr. Trillo's on his way.
on one’s way: 在往……的路上
Trillo一会就到。
-Ria: The governor really wants to make him the poster boy for early release?
poster boy: 代表人物形象,典型 release: 释放
州长真的打算将他作为典型提前释放?
-Glodin: Manny Trillo was up for a Nobel prize for the anti gang work he's done in here.
anti: 反对者up for: 打算,准备 Nobel prize: 诺贝尔奖
Manny Trillo在打击黑帮中贡献突出,有望凭此获得诺贝尔奖。
We believe he can do even more on the outside.
believe: 相信 outside: 外面
我们相信他出狱后能作出更大贡献。
-Cal: Well, one in every 100 Americans is in prison.
prison: 监狱
100个美国人就有一个在蹲监狱。
Can understand why the governor wants him for a poster boy, right?
governor: 州长 understand: 了解 poster: 广告
可以理解州长为何想将他作为典型,对吧?
-Glodin: Of course, before we issue any pardon, the governor wants to make sure Mr. Trillois truly rehabilitated.
issue: 宣布make sure: 确认 rehabilitate: 恢复原状,使复权
当然,在我们特赦他之前,总督想确认Trillo已经改过自新了。
That's why you're here.
这也是请你来的原因。
-Cal: I think you should get him out of there.
我想你该让他离开那儿。
-Glodin: Excuse me?
你说什么?
-Cal: Get him out of there right now.
right now: 立刻,马上
快让他离开那儿。
-Prison guard: get down... get down on the ground! Get down on the ground right now. Stay down.
get down: 下来 ground: 土地
趴下! 立刻趴下,不许动。
-Foster: You know, I treated a few firefighters in grad school.
treat: 处理,治疗 firefighter: 消防员 grad: 毕业生,校友
你知道么,我曾在学校医治过消防员。
It's amazing what these guys have to deal with.
amazing: 令人惊异的 deal with: 研究,处理
这些人所面对的,常人难以想象。
-Loker: You got a bit of a fireman thing, huh?
fireman: 救火队员
你有消防员情结,对吧?
-Foster: I'm just saying these guys are heroes.
guy: 家伙 hero: 英雄
我只是说,这些人是英雄。
-Loker: Is it the helmets?
helmet: 头盔
是因为头盔不?
I mean, even I like the helmets.
我也迷恋头盔的。
-Adams: Dr. Foster?
Foster博士?
I'm Mike Adams with the national fire safety board.
safety board: 安全理事会 national: 国家的
Mike Adams ,来自国家防火安全理事会。
-Foster: Is that for the firefighter who was killed last week?
那是在缅怀上周牺牲的消防员么?
-Adams: Yeah. Eric Mitchell . Had less than a year on the job.
是啊,Eric Mitchell,工作还不到一年。
His grandfather served for 30 years in the 23rd engine company.
engine company: 救火车消防分队
他祖父曾在23中队效力了30年。
He stops by almost every day.
almost: 差不多
他几乎每天都来。
Mr. Mitchell.
Mitchell先生
These are the people from that firm I was telling you about.
这是从那家公司来的人,之前跟你提过的。
-Mr. Mitchell: Well, I'm glad someone is trying to find out what really happened to my boy.
find out: 找出,查明 glad: 高兴的
很高兴有人能来探究我的孙子到底出了什么事。
-Foster: I'm sorry about your grandson.
grandson: 孙子 grandson: 孙子
对你孙子的逝去我深表遗憾。
-Mr. Mitchell: This just couldn't have been an accident.
accident: 事故,意外
这决不是意外。
-Foster: We're going to do everything we can to figure out what happened, Mr. Mitchell.
figure out: 想出,断定
我们会竭尽全力还原真相 Mitchell先生。
-Loker: So, that's what it takes to get the feds involved.
involved: 有关的
这就是为何请联邦政府介入的原因。
Grieving relative.
grieving: 使……悲伤 relative: 亲属
悲恸欲绝的亲人。
-Adams: We investigate any time a firefighter's killed on the job.
Investigate: 调查,研究
一旦有消防员牺牲我们都会进行调查。
The building fire was a two-alarm blaze.
blaze: 火焰,烈火 two-alarm: 需动员两间消防局人员的
那楼当时起火严重,发出了2级火警。
Eric Mitchell and his company went in, did a preliminary sweep.
company: 伙伴 preliminary: 初步行动 sweep: 扫除,掠过
Eric Mitchell和团队冲了进去进行了初步灭火。
Now, Eric came out with a kid.
kid: 小孩
Eric营救出了一个孩子,
Then, he headed back in. The company got separated.
separated: 分开的
他又返回去灭火,团队走散了。
They didn't find Eric's body until they'd put out the fire.
body: 尸体 put out: 熄灭
直到扑灭大火才找到了Eric的尸体。
-Foster: So, the fire didn't kill him?
kill: 杀死
所以,并不是大火烧死他的?
-Adams: The coroner couldn't find a cause of death.
coroner: 验尸官 cause: 原因
验尸官没有找到死因。
Eric's burns had no inflamed edges.
inflamed: 发炎的,红肿的 edge: 边缘
Eric的烧伤毫无发炎迹象,
He was dead before the fire even got to him.
dead:死亡
在大火烧到身体之前他已经死了。
It's unusual, and it raises the possibility that another firefighter killed him and left him there to burn.
unusual: 不寻常的 possibility: 可能性 firefighter: 消防队员
这很不寻常,可能是某消防员杀害了他,然后把他抛在那里。
I hired you because if someone is lying about what happened in that fire, I need to know.
happen: 发生
我请你们来是为了找出到底是谁说谎了。
-Foster: That won't be easy. A firehouse is a behavioral in-group.
firehouse: 消防队 behavioral: 行为的 in-group: 内集团,自己人小团体
那并不容易。身处着火的房子是集体行为,
They become more cohesive in the face of adversity.
cohesive: 粘性的 adversity: 不幸,灾难
面临逆境他们异常团结。
-Morrow: Is that so?
当真如此?
-Adams: Chief Morrow, Lieutenant Clayton.
chief: 首领 Lieutenant: 中尉,副官
队长Morrow和Clayton中队长。
-Clayton: You know, that shrink mumbo jumbo won't get you far with our boys.
shrink: 心理医生 mumbo jumbo: 莫名其妙的话,巫术(贬义)
那些看似神秘的话并不能让你高高在上。
-Foster: That's why I won't be interviewing the men.
Interview: 访问
因此,并不是由访问我进行询问。
-Adams: Dr. Lightman will be conducting the interviews?
conduct: 执行 interview: 访问
Lightman博士将进行询问么?
-Loker: No, no, we'll get the most deception leakage from these firemen if they're interviewed by someone that they respect.
deception: 骗局,诡计 leakage: 泄露 respect: 尊重
不,不是,只有由他们尊敬的人询问我们才能够找到他们的漏洞。
-Foster: So, we won't be asking the questions. You will.
question: 问题
所以,不是由我们来提问而是由您来。
-Clayton: Name?
姓名?
-Caddick: David Caddick.
David Caddick
-Clayton: And how long have you been a firefighter?
做消防员多久了?
-Caddick: Eight years.
八年。
-Foster: Anything notable?
notable: 显著的
有什么可疑之处么?
-Loker: Well, Caddick's okay, but Clayton is biting his lip, tugging at his ear.
bite: 咬 tug: 用力拉
Caddick没问题,但Clayton咬嘴唇拉耳朵
He's showing an increase in manipulators.
increase: 增长 manipulator: 操纵者
表现出不断增长的控制欲。
It's a sign of anxiety.
sign:迹象 anxiety: 焦虑
他感到焦虑。
-Adams:The lieutenant's nervous?
lieutenant: 中尉 nervous: 神经紧张的
中队长觉得紧张?
-Foster: Yeah, it's normal. He's already lost one man.
already: 早已 already: 已经
这很正常,他已经失去了一个手下。
Last thing he wants to do is indict another.
indict: 起诉,控告
他最不情愿的就是再失去一个手下。
-Clayton: Tell us about the fire.
聊聊火灾的情况。
-Caddick: Our truck, truck 5,responded right away.
respond: 回答,回报 right away: 立即
我们的5号消防车,立即作出反应。
-Wallace: We started searching. We followed procedure.
search: 搜索 procedure: 程序,步骤
我们开始搜寻,遵循程序进行。
One man on the wall, human chain.
human chain: 人链,手挽手的一行抗议者
一个人在墙上,大家手挽手。
-Donavan: Wall comes down. Screaming across the hall.
scream: 尖叫 across: 穿过 hall: 走廊
墙倒了,大厅之中回荡着尖叫。
Suddenly, we're all in different directions.
direction: 方向 different: 不同的
突然,我们就走散了。
-Caddick: We split up.
split up: 分裂,分开
我们分散开了。
I was low on oxygen, so I cleared a couple of rooms, and then I hit the door.
low: 低的 oxygen: 氧气
我感觉缺氧,搜查了几个房间然后撞开门。
And I didn't see Eric again.
我再也没有看到Eric。
-Wallace: I got down the hall. Found an exit. I didn't see Eric again.
get down: 下来 check: 检查
走到大厅,我找到了出口,再也没有见到Eric。
-Donavan: I checked the stairwell. I left the building. I didn't see Eric again.
stairwell: 楼梯井 check: 检查
我检查了楼梯井,然后就离开了大楼.再也没有见到Eric。
-Loker: Their stories were consistent.
consistent: 始终如一的,一致的
他们说的很一致。
-Foster: They were.
的确一致。
Can you pull up there response latency analysis?
pull up: 拉起 latency: 潜伏,潜在 analysis: 分析
你能计算一下他们的回应等待时间么?
-Adams: Response latency?
latency: 潜伏
回应等待时间?
-Loker: It's the time between when a question is asked and the answer is given
between: 在中间
指的是问与答间隔的时间。
-Clayton: Tell us about the fire.
聊聊火灾的情况。
-Caddick: Alarm went off at 3:00 A.M.
alarm: 警报
凌晨3点响起警报。
-Clayton: Tell us about the fire.
聊聊火灾的情况。
-Wallace: We got the call around 3:00 A.M.
我们凌晨3点接到火警。
-Clayton: Tell us about the fire.
聊聊火灾的情况。
-Donovan: Must have been about 3:00 in the morning.
大约是凌晨3点。
-Foster: Response time is under a second.
response: 反应
回应时间不足1秒。
-Clayton: If they were lying, they'd be longer, right?
如果他们在说谎会思考一下,对吧?
-Loker: A lot of people think you take longer to respond if you're lying,
respond: 作答,回答
很多人以为说谎得思考一阵才回应,
but that's just if the lie is spontaneous.
spontaneous: 自发的,自然发生的
但那只是在临时想要说谎的前提下。
-Foster: If a lie is prepared ahead of time, you're eager to get it over with.
eager: 渴望的 prepared: 有准备得 get over with: 一劳永逸地做完
如果事先编好谎话你就会脱口而出了。
-Adams: So, which one of them is lying?
所以,他们谁在说谎?
-Foster: They all are.
他们都撒谎了。
Something happened in that fire, and from the looks of it, every one of them was involved.
involved: 涉及
肯定事有蹊跷,目前看来他们都身涉其中。
-Goldin: This was the second attempt on Manny Trillo's life this month.
attempt: 企图,试图
袭击Manny Trillo的事件,这已经是这个月第二次了。
Tensions between La Salva and Trillo's old gang have escalated.
escalate: 扩大,升级
La Salva与Trillo旧部的紧张局面逐步升级,
Trillo's been speaking out. A lot of guys want him dead.
speak out: 大声讲 guy: 家伙 dead: 死亡
Trillo口无遮拦,很多人想置他于死地。
The only thing worse than the street violence we'll see if Trillo is killed in prison is the violence we'll see if he takes over el Punio again.
violence: 暴力 take over: 接管,接任
一旦Trillo死在狱中会出现街头暴力,但如果他重新掌管El Punio ,那将更为可怕。
The governor believes Trillo's changed.
总督相信Trillo已经洗心革面。
He thinks he could do some real good on the outside,
outside: 外面
他相信他出狱之后会重新做人。
but we need to know he's telling the truth, that he's not going back to gang life.
gang: 一群,恶少帮
但得确认他并未撒谎,他已经金盆洗手。
-Cal: All right. More than happy to put my reputation on the line.
put on the line: 付款(冒险)reputation: 名誉
好的,此举甚为冒险但非常荣幸。
-Trillo: First couple of years here, I was angry, so I took on the other prisoners.
prisoner: 囚犯
刚来这里时我很愤怒,跟其他狱友较量,
I took on the guards. I did a lot of solitary.
take on: 承担,接受 solitary: 孤独的,唯一的,隐士
跟狱警较量,独来独往。
Got so bad, I started stealing books from the prison library and carrying them around.
library: 图书馆 carry around: 随身带来带去
堕入深渊后我开始从监狱图书馆偷书,然后招摇过市。
-Cal: I wouldn't have picked you for a bookworm.
bookworm: 书呆子
你完全不像个书呆子。
-Trillo: That much time in the hole...
in the hole: 短少,负债,有财政困难
身处牢狱之中,整日无所事事...
I read anything I could got my hands on.
get hand: 得手
我看到什么书就读什么,
Gardening manual economic textbooks, Spanish poetry.
economic: 经济的gardening: 园艺 manual: 手册,指南 textbook: 课本 Spanish: 西班牙的
poetry: 诗歌
园艺手工,经济学课本,西班牙诗集,
"There is no cry of pain without, at its end, an echo of joy."
echo: 回声 joy: 愉悦
没有痛苦的哭泣,也就没有喜悦的回响。
Ram de campoamor.
西班牙诗人,雷蒙甘布亚摩
I read that and...
我读到此句...
I don't know.
难以说清…
I caused so much pain.
我造成了那么多痛苦。
What joy could come from that?
其中的喜悦又是什么呢?
And then, I'd realized...
那个时候我忽然醒悟...
I had to be the joy.
我要成为喜悦之源。
-Cal: That's a charming story.
charming: 迷人的
听起来引人入胜。
Would you mind? I missed lunch.
miss: 错过
你不介意吧? 我还没有吃午饭
-Ria: So, you're saying that you regret what you did.
regret: 遗憾,后悔
你说你对自己所作之事感到懊悔。
-Trillo: All I cared about was the power, the money.
我过去只在乎权力,金钱
And I took a life.
我夺走了一条性命。
-Cal: Just the one?
只有一条性命?
-Trillo: I ruined the lives of many young Latinos, kids who could have had a chance.
ruin: 毁坏,破灭
我毁了很多年轻拉丁人的生活,他们本可以有大好人生的。
-Cal: do you have any... plans, you know, for after prison?
prison: 监狱
对于出狱后的生活你有什么规划么?
-Trillo: I have a plan for street peace.
plan: 计划
我想致力于街头和平。
We need a social agenda for the barrio.
agenda: 议程 barrio: 地方行政区域
我们得为城区制定社会议程。
I 've been stabbed twice the last month.
stab: 刺,戳
上个月我被刺杀两次,
15 stitches this morning.
stitch: 一针,疼痛
今早又缝了15针。
My life is in your hands.
我的性命掌握在你手中。
-Cal: I couldn't agree more.
的确如此。
-Ria: Do you think it might be helpful to clue me into your little experiments?
clue: 提示 experiment: 实验
给我点提示,让我融入你的实验之中不是会更有效么?
-Cal: Nope.
nope: 不, 不是
不会的。
-Foster: Gang leaders like Trillo learn easy that respect is key to survival.
leader: 领导者 survival: 生存
像Trillo这样的黑帮老大很快就会发现要活下去就必须尊重别人。
They need to respond to perceived disrespect,
perceived: 察觉,感觉,认知 disrespect: 不敬,失礼
他们发现了无礼就得作出回应。
and it becomes what we call emotional trigger.
emotional: 感情的,情绪的 trigger: 触发器
然后就成了这样,我们称之为情感激发点。
-Cal: He needs me to believe that he's reformed,
reformed: 改革过的
他要我相信他已改过自新。
but when I talk to him with my mouth full, this is what we get.
可当我满嘴食物同他说话的时候他就成了这样,
Nostrils flared. Lips tightened.
nostril: 鼻孔 flare: 闪光 tighten: 勒紧,坚固
鼻孔张大,嘴唇紧闭。
-Foster: Anger. He can't control himself.
control: 控制
愤怒,他没法控制自己。
Disrespect is still a trigger.
disrespect: 不敬
无礼仍旧是个激发点。
-Ria: You're saying Trillo hasn't changed.
你是说Trillo并未改变。
-Cal: Not necessarily. When he talks about his past, he shows us something else.
talk about: 谈论
并非如此,当他提及往事他向我们展示了另一面。
-Trillo: And I took a life.
我杀了一个人。
-Foster: Shame.
shame: 羞耻
羞愧
He's truly ashamed for what he's done.
他是真的为自己的所作所为感到羞愧。
-Ria: yeah, but the anger trigger...
trigger.: 触发
没错,可愤怒激发点...
-Cal: No.
不是这样。
That's a survival trigger, and they're really hard to turn off.
turn off: 关掉
那是生存激发点,很难控制得了的。
Doesn't mean he hasn't changed.
并非说明他未改变。
-Foster: You need to compare this to an emotional baseline--old videos.
compare to: 与……比较 baseline: 基线 baseline: 底线
你得找个情感参照点可以和以前的录像加以比较。
Call the governor's office and see if they have anything they can send over.
send over: 播送
给典狱长打电话问问有没有以前的录像。
-Cal: Preferably before someone sticks another fork in Mr. Trillo.
preferably: 宁可,宁愿 stick: 插于,刺入 fork: 叉
最好是在Trillo先生被刺之前
-Ria: Yeah. No problem.
好,没问题。
-Foster: You see that?
瞧见没?
You think you made the right call putting her on this case?
case: 案件
你觉得让她参与这件案子没问题?
-Cal: Well, who wouldn't want to be on this case?
谁不想参与这件案子?
Evolution generally takes millennia,
evolution: 进化 millennia: millennium的复数,千年
进化需要成千上万年的时间,
but change in a lifetime, now...
lifetime: 一生
不过一生中的变化,比如这个...
that's something to see.
有待进一步考证。
-Foster: All the naturals that we have seen, they share two traits.
natural: 自然的 trait: 特征,特点
自然界里的一切事物都有两个共同特点。
They are uneducated and...
uneducated: 没有受过教育的
它们没受过教育...
-Cal: and the other trait should have nothing to do with the scientific question of whether a man can evolve.
have nothing to do with: 与……无关 evolve: 进展,进化
另一个特点同一个人能否进化这一科学命题并无任何关系。
-Foster: Yes, but psychologically, if she has dealt with a history of.
psychologically: 心理学上 deal with: 处理
没错,但从心理学角度而言,如果她过去有过…
-Cal: hey, if she has strong feelings about Trillo, then s has to learn to put them aside.
put aside: 储存,保留 aside: 到旁边
嘿,如果她对Trillo带有强烈的感情那她就该学着把它们暂时放一边去。
-Foster: Oh, so I guess, if someone's got to teach her how to avoid her feelings, then you're the most qualified.
someone: 有人feeling: 感觉,感受 avoid: 避免 qualified: 有资格的
噢,那我想要是得找个人来教教她,你肯定是最有资格的了。
-Cal: Anything else I can do for you?
还有什么要帮忙的吗?
-Foster: I do need some help with my, uh, my firefighters.
help with: 帮助某人做 firefighter: 消防队员
我倒确实需要你来帮我看看。
-Loker: well, all three firemen showed increased manipulators,
manipulator: 操作者
呃... 那些个消防员,三个消防员都有说谎的痕迹。
but only two of them showed micro expressions of fear.
micro: 微小的 expression: 表情 fear: 畏惧
不过只有两个的微表情里带有恐惧。
-Cal: Well, take me through the one that didn't show fear.
through: 从...直至
让我看看那个没有表现出恐惧的家伙。
-Loker: Uh, I thought we were looking for the guy most likely to tell us what happened.
look for: 寻找 likely: 有可能的
呃... 我觉得我们该找出那个最有可能告诉我们真相的人。
-Cal: We are.
不正是嘛。
-Loker: Okay. Doug Donovan.
好的,Doug Donovan
No increased anxiety, no notable signs of…
anxiety: 焦虑 notable: 值得注意之事物
焦虑并未显著增加没有值得注意的迹象…
-Cal: oh, stop it there. Take it three seconds back.
second: 片刻
噢,停下,倒回三秒钟。
Freeze it there.
freeze: 冻住
定格。
Cheeks raised, lip corners depressed...
cheek: 脸颊 depressed: 沮丧的 lip: 嘴唇
面颊上扬,嘴角下垂。
-Foster: remorse.
remorse: 懊悔,悔恨
自责。
Maybe he knows something.
也许他知道内情。
Maybe the group is forcing him to lie.
force: 强迫
也许其他人在逼着他说谎。
-Cal: Well, he's the one you want to focus on.
focus: 使聚焦
好了,你们该好好注意这个家伙。
Monkey with the interview conditions.
condition: 情况,条件 interview: 面谈
换换询问的环境,
Keep him with someone he respects. Use the chief.
respect: 敬重 chief: 长官
让他尊敬的人问话,就队长好了。
The more guilty the kid feels, the more likely he is to tell you what he knows.
guilty: 内疚
这孩子越有负罪感,他越有可能告诉你们真相。
-Clayton: Training drill, 1500 Beecham drive.
training: 训练 drill: 钻孔,训练
消防演习,1500 Beecham负责开车。
Truck 5, go, go, go!
五号车,快快快!
-Donovan: All right ,Probie,stay together keep your eyes on the man in front of you. All you in a line,and do not lose connect with the words.
lose touch: 失去联系 in front of: 在...前面
不要走散,眼睛盯着自己前面的人。保持联系。
Probie, get back in line!
Probie 回来排好。
Wallace, take over.
Wallace 交给你了。
Probie! Probie! Probie!
Probie! Probie! Probie!
Chief Morrow? What the...
Morrow队长? 怎么回事...
-Loker: Didn't work out like this for Mitchell, did it?
work out: 可以解决,设计出
Mitchell就没这么幸运了,是吧?
You saved the chief. Why didn't you save him?
save: 挽救
你救了队长,为什么不救他?
-Morrow: You're not the type of guy to leave a man behind.
你不是那种会丢下别人不管的家伙。
-Foster: Hey, we know how guilty you feel.
嘿,我们知道你有多自责。
There must be a good reason you lied.
你说谎必定是有苦衷的。
Come on. Why won't you tell us what happened?
happen: 发生
来吧,告诉我们实情如何?
-Donovan: I left him.
我丢下了他。
I found him in the fire. I'm supposed to pull him out.
supposed to: 猜想会
我发现他在火中我本该把他救出来的
The flames had already got to him,
already: 早已
他身上已经着火了,
but I'm supposed to pull him out.
可我本该把他救出来的。
I'm just as guilty as those other guys.
guy: 家伙
我和其他人一样,都有罪。
-Foster: What other guys?
什么其他人?
-Donovan: The ones who were hazing him.
hazing: 受辱,被欺侮,
那些欺负他的人。
-Foster: According to Mr. Donovan, your men have been involved in some pretty extensive hazing.
extensive: 广泛的,广阔的 pretty: 相当
根据Donovan先生的说辞,你们队里欺凌他人的现象十分严重。
He wouldn't say who was involved, but it went beyond the silent treatment.
silent: 沉默的 go beyond: 超过,胜过 treatment: 治疗
他没说都有些谁,不过这事不该沉默以对。
-Loker: Baking soda showers, bottle rockets in the bathroom stalls…
shower:淋浴 baking: 烘烤 stall: 货摊
泼发酵粉,在浴室里用瓶子玩火箭...
-Foster: did you know Eric Mitchell had a severe peanut allergy?
severe: 严重的 peanut: 花生 allergy: 过敏
你们知不知道Eric Mitchell 对花生严重过敏?
-Morrow: No, I didn't.
不,我不知道。
-Loker: Donovan heard that slipping Mitchell a little pb&j was the next big gag.
slip: 滑,错误,下跌 gag: 讨论中介,虚伪,插科打诨
Donovan听说下次就要用花生酱和果冻三明治了
Well, he's junior.
junior: 年少的,下级的
他年纪比较小。
He wasn't one of the hazer, but that's why he didn't pull Eric's body out.
并没有在这之列,不过这就解释了他为什么没有把Eric救出来。
He was protecting the men. He thought that they had killed Eric.
他在维护其他人,他觉得是他们杀了Eric。
-Foster: Were you aware of what was going on?
be aware of: 意识
你们知道发生了什么事吗?
-Morrow: Hazing is as much a part of this life as alarm bells.
alarm bell: 警铃
玩闹就和警铃一样是消防员生活的一部分。
-Loker: And if one of your men goes into anaphylactic shock and dies, c'est la vie?
anaphylactic: 过敏性的 c’est la vie: 法语,这就是生活
如果你的一个手下因为过敏而死这也是生活?
-Clayton: You don't understand, but when you're trapped inside a burning building,
trapped: 捕获的,收集的
你们不明白,当你被困在一幢着了火的大楼里头,
you got to know that the other guys are going to put code before cowardice,
code: 法规 cowardice: 胆怯
你要知道其他人绝对不会因为胆怯而见死不救。
walk through a wall of fire and come get you.
他们会穿过大火跑来找你。
-Morrow: He's right.
他说得没错。
I need men who are willing to risk their lives on a daily basis.
daily: 每日的 risk: 冒险 basis: 基础
我要的是那些愿意每天拼命救人的手下。
And Mitchell just didn't have it in him.
可Mitchell并不是这样。
-Foster: So you looked the other way?
那么说你另有看法?
-Morrow: He needed to learn.
他得学会那样。
But make no mistake about it, I demand a certain level of respect out of my men.
mistake: 误解 demand: 要求 certain: 确定的respect: 敬重
不过不要搞错了,我可是要求我的队员们都彼此尊重的。
There's a line. And they wouldn't have crossed it.
cross: 越过
有个底线,他们是不会越过的。
-Foster: Then you won't mind if we talk to the other men in the company?
company: 公司
那你不介意我们向公司里的其他人询问一下情况吧?
-Morrow: No.
请便。
-Clayton: Kerry-- the chief's niece--she'll help you out.
niece: 侄女,外甥女 help out: 帮助解决难题
队长的侄女Kerry会来帮助你们的。
I got real work to do.
我还有正事要干。
-Loker: It's like they never left the frat house.
frat: 兄弟会
看起来他们都是好兄弟。
-Foster: You know, it's not just frat houses.
frat: 兄弟会
你知道,这不只是好兄弟而已。
Initiation rites can be found in all major cultures.
initiation rite: 入会仪式 major: 主要的
在所有恢宏的文明里成人礼都是必不可少的一部分。
-Loker: You're defending these guys?
defend: 辩护 guy: 家伙
你在替那些家伙辩护?
-Foster: Hazing can serve an important psychological function.
psychological: 心理的 important: 重要的
欺凌可以起到重要的心理作用。
-Loker: Oh, that's funny. I don't remember reading any articles in the ape journal on Swirled.
funny: 好笑的 remember: 记得 article: 文章 journal: 日记
噢,真是滑稽,我不记得在美国心理学会期刊上见过类似文章。
-Foster: Initiation for you MIT athletes was pretty hard-core, huh?
MIT: 麻省理工学院 pretty: 相当 hard-core: 硬核
对你们这些麻省理工的数学狂人来说,成人礼倒是相当残酷的,哈?
-Loker: You make fun you but try waking up in a shower stall with a killer hangover
shower stall: 淋浴室 hangover: 宿醉
你开玩笑好了,不过你试试自己在几个彪形大汉注视下从昏睡中醒来。
and a quart of macaroni salad shoved up your... what?
quart: 夸脱 shove: 推挤
再比如一大堆通心粉和色拉一下子塞到你的... 怎么了?
-Foster: Check out herself-hushing emblem.
hush: 肃静 emblem: 象征,徽章
看看,她在让自己保持平静。
-Loker: She knows something.
她知道点什么。
-Foster: Yeah, she does.
没错。
And she's hushing herself
她想让自己安静下来。
because part of her wants to tell.
是因为她有点想要说出真相。
-Trillo: I knew he was hiding a badge.
badge: 徽章
我知道他藏了个徽章条子总是这样。
Shield don't make no difference to me.
有没有保护对我来说一个样。
Chota got what he deserved.
deserve: 值得
Chota自找的.
-Cal: Making any headway with the old Trillo videos?
headway: 前进,进展
看了这些以前的录像有没有什么进展啊?
-Ria: Not really.
还没
-Cal: No evidence of emotional change at all?
evidence: 根据,证据 emotional: 感情的,情绪的
完全没有情感上的变化?
-Ria: Trillo doesn't seem all that different to me.
Trillo对我来说并没什么特别.
-Cal: Let's run the tape.
再来放一遍带子.
-Ria: I've been watching video surveillance from before Trillo's arrest.
surveillance: 监视,监督 arrest: 逮捕
我一直在看Trillo被捕之前的监控录像.
-Cal: That's good. Natural habitat- that's the best baseline.-
habitat: 产地,栖息地 baseline: 基线
很好,自然的环境是最好的参照.
All right... let's drop the sound and run it side by side with the video we shot at the penitentiary.
side by side: 肩并肩地,一起 penitentiary: 赎免局
好... 我们把声音关掉和我们在监狱里拍的那盘一起播放
Anger. Contempt.
contempt: 轻蔑
愤怒,轻蔑,轻蔑
Trillo's emotional palette was substantially different back then.
palette: 调色板,颜料 substantially: 实质上,本质上 different: 不同的
Trillo的感情集合与过往有明显差异。
I'm surprised you missed it.
你竟然看走眼了。
Shocking.
shock: 震惊
令人震惊。
Anger. Disgust.
愤怒,厌恶
Though, that expression was practically default back then
practically:实际地,几乎 default: 缺席
虽然这个表情在那时屡见不鲜。
The brow lowered, upper eyelid raised, and that glare is the mark of a hostile personality.
brow: 眉毛 eyelid: 眼皮 glare: 闪耀光,刺眼 hostile: 敌对的 personality: 个性
眉毛下沉,眼睑抬高,那种怒视是敌意人格的标志。
How many of these did Trillo flash in the old video?
在旧影片中,这样的表情Trillo展露了多少次?
-Ria: I don't know. Three or four a minute?
minute: 分钟
不清楚,3到4分钟?
-Cal: Well, he didn't show any in our interview.
在我们访谈时候他没有这表情。
Not until the burger incident.
Incident: 事件
起码在汉堡事件之前。
Seems like a pretty big change to me.
pretty: 相当地 change: 变化
似乎是个挺大的转变。
-Ria: Whatever.
随你怎么说吧。
-Cal: Well... well, that is the kind of emotionally detached identified analysis we value around here.
identified:经鉴定的 detached: 分离的 emotionally: 在情绪上 analysis: 分析
我们在这里进行了客观的科学分析。
I'll be sure to pass that onto the governor.
是时候将结果知会政府。
-Ria: Do you have any idea how much worse the Punio-salva war will be if Trillo gets out and takes over?
worse: 更坏地 get out: 出去
你知道要是放了Trillo打击Punio-Salva的行动会受到多大影响吗?
-Cal: Much, much worse. I'm sure there'd be a boom in the drug trade, too.
trade:贸易 boom: 激增,暴涨
每况愈下,而且毒品交易会兴旺。
-Ria: What if Trillo's just conning us?
con: 欺诈的
要是Trillo在耍我们呢?
-Cal: Well, emotional evidence suggests he's not the same man.
emotional: 情绪的 evidence: 证据 suggest: 建议
情感证据暗示他已重新做人。
-Ria: Do you know how many kids in the barrio want the kind of power trillo had before he went away?
power: 权力
你知道那里的孩子有多想掌握Trillo那样的权力吗?
The guy is pretty good at working the system.
system:系统
那家伙在道上混得很好。
-Cal: Sure he is. Read your Darwin.
当然,读读达尔文。
Survival of the fittest: It's not about being fit; it's about being adaptable to change.
fittest: 最适合的 adaptable: 适应的
适者生存: 精髓不在于适应一时,而是与时俱进。
-Ria: Violent people are violent. They don't change.
violent: 暴力引起的
粗暴之人就是粗暴,本性难移。
-Heidi: Did you see the message from lieutenant governor Goldin's office?
message: 留言 lieutenant: 中尉
你看了来自Goldin副州长办公室的留言吗?
-Cal: Nope.
还没。
-Heidi: Holly Sando, the widow of the officer Trillo killed, has decided to speak to the parole board.
widow: 寡妇 parole: 誓言
Holly Sando ,Trillo所杀警官的遗孀决定在假释委员会作供
-Ria: So she's testifying against Trillo's release?
testify: 证明,作证 release: 释放
她作供反对Trillo的释放?
-Heidi: No. She's speaking on his behalf.
on one’s behalf: 代表
不是,她去为他说情。
-Cal: Tell Goldin we'll be there.
告诉Goldin我们会出席。
-Kerry: Rough interview?
rough: 粗暴的,粗糙的
审问很棘手?
-Foster: I just... you know, they're just all so tough
tough: 强硬的,艰苦的
他们太强硬了啊。
You know, acting like nothing's wrong.
像没事发生一样。
I mean, the last thing they're going to do is talk to a woman
他们最不情愿的事就是和女人谈话。
I'm sorry. I... I shouldn't be telling you this.
抱歉,我不该向你诉苦。
-Kerry: No. It's.. I understand.
understand: 了解
不会... 我能理解。
-Frost:: No, it's, it's completely inappropriate.
completely: 完全地 inappropriate: 不合适
哪里,哪里,真是太不合适了。
-Kerry: No...
没有...
I know how they can be.
我了解他们。
I don't think anybody meant to hurt Eric.
hurt: 伤害
我想没人有意伤害Eric。
-Foster: The hazing got pretty bad, huh?
恶整出格了,是吧?
-Kerry: God, they'd... they're going to kill me if they know that I'm talking to you right now.
天哪... 他们要是知道我和你谈过话会杀了我的。
Someone has to.
始终要有人站出来。
There's something you should see.
有样东西,你该看看。
-Caddick: No! No, but what happens on an emergency call when you don't wear your helmet?
emergency: 紧急情况 helmet: 头盔
不! 但在紧急召集时你没戴头盔怎么办?
What happens on an emergency call when you don't wear your helmet?
紧急召集却没戴头盔怎么办?
-Foster: It's milder than I thought it would be.
mild: 温和的
没我想象的严重。
-Loker: One of those guys killed Eric Mitchell.
guy:家伙
他们其中一人杀了Eric Mitchell。
-Foster: Okay, but this just looks like a bad joke.
okay: =ok 好 joke: 开玩笑
但这看上去只是个恶作剧。
-Loker: Whoa, wait. Look... look at Wallace.
哇,等等,注意Wallace。
-Foster: What? He's smiling.
什么? 他在笑咯。
-Loker: Yeah, sure, he's enjoying the joke, but, uh…
是的,他在看玩笑,但...
every time he looks directly at Mitchell…
directly: 直接地
每次他直视Mitchell...
-Foster: intense disgust.
intense: 非常的disgust: 厌恶
剧烈厌恶。
-Loker: That's more than a bad joke.
joke: 玩笑
不止恶作剧那么简单。
-Holly Sando: Wo. When Manny Trillo killed my husband, I…
Manny Trillo谋杀我丈夫后...
I was angry.
angry: 愤怒
我曾经很愤怒.
For years, I couldn't even say his name.
那么多年了,甚至无法提及他的名字.
then one day, someone told me about his book.
有一天,有人告诉我他出书了.
I had a morbid curiosity.
morbid: 病态的,不正常的 curiosity: 好奇
我产生了病态的好奇感.
So I went out and bought a copy.
copy: 一册
因此我也买了一本.
I read the whole thing... in two days.
我整本读完... 两天就读完了.
I was shocked.
我异常震惊,
How could that man have written such A…
那个人怎么会写出如此...
I was just...
我只是...
everything I had believed...
believe: 信仰
我曾信仰的一切...
It changed the way I look at things.
它完全改变了我的观念.
-A woman: Wo .Ms. Sando? Do you believe Mr. Trillo has changed?
Sando女士? 你相信Trillo先生已经改过自新了?
-Holly Sando: Yes. Yes, I do.
是的,我相信。
I believe he's repented.
repented: 后悔的,悔悟的
我相信他已经悔悟。
He's changed his heart.
洗涤了心灵罪恶,
And he's changed mine.
也使我改观。
-Goldin: That's quite a statement.
statement: 声明,陈述
一个有力的佐证。
-Cal: Yeah.
对啊。
Of course she doesn't believe a word she just said.
当然,根本口心不一。
-A woman: Do you believe Mr. Trillo has changed?
change: 变化
你相信Trillo先生已经改过自新了?
-Holly Sando: Yes. Yes, I do.
是的,我相信。
-Cal: There it is. Slightest head shake no.
slight: 轻微的 shake: 摇摆
快看,轻微的摇头否认。
Now, we do this by accident when we don't mean what we say.
by accident: 偶然。mean: 意谓着
当我们话不对心时会下意识的作出这个动作。
Holly Sando did it every time she said she thought Trillo had changed.
Holly Sando每次说Trillo已改过时都做出这个动作。
And then there's this.
还有这个。
-Holly Sando: You can't let him die in this prison.
prison: 监狱
你们不能让他死在牢狱里。
-Cal: There.
这里,
Classic glare, which is a bit surprising from a true believer in Mr. Trillo.
classic: 经典的 glare: 瞪眼 believer: 信徒
经典眼神,对相信Trillo的人投去的惊异眼神。
-Goldin: Why then lobby for the release of a man who killed your husband if you don't believe he's changed?
lobby: 游说 release: 释放
既然不相信他改过自新为何还支持释放杀夫仇人?
-Cal: She may be trying to convince herself.
convince: 说服,使……相信
她可能在尝试说服自己。
Maybe she believe she's changed intellectually
Intellectually: 理智地
或许理智上她相信,
but she can't quite get there emotionally.
emotionally: 在情绪上
但在感情上还未能同意。
-Ria: Or maybe Trillo got one of his old buddies to threaten her.
threaten: 威胁
又或者Trillo找老朋友威胁她。
-Foster: People always think that anger is the most dangerous emotion,
dangerous: 危险的
人们通常认为愤怒是最危险的感情。
but disgust is the language of hatred.
hatred: 憎恶,憎恨 language: 语言
但厌恶才是仇恨的反应。
-Loker: Hitler talking about the Jews.
jew: 犹太人
希特勒在谈论犹太人,
Bin laden talking about Americans.
拉登谈及美国人,
And you during the hazing of Eric Mitchell.
你在Eric Mitchell被整时国。
-Foster: What did you have against Eric Mitchell?
against: 反对
你和Eric Mitchell有什么过节?
-Wallace: The kid made my life hell.
hell: 地狱
那小子让我生活很痛苦。
-Foster: You've been with the department for almost a decade.
decade: 十年 department: 部门
你在部门里呆了近十年。
How does a probie like Mitchell make your life hell?
probie: 【Someone holding a position on a probationary basis, subject to performance or examination】
一个像Mitchell的新人怎能够折腾你了?
-Wallace: Nine years.
九年。
Nine years, and I never had a problem.
problem: 问题
九年来从来没有问题。
I mean, the occasional bad joke, watermelon in the locker.
occasional: 偶尔的 watermelon: 西瓜 locker: 柜
偶然的恶作剧,柜子里的西瓜,
But I kept my mouth shut.
shut: 关上
我没有作声。
We're not black. We're not white. We're firemen.
firemen: 消防队员
我们不是黑人,也不是白人,我们是消防员。
So we get hazed.
所以我们被恶整。
Mitchell gets hazed, he runs to the Vulcan’s, the black firefighter society
Vulcan: 祝融星(锻冶者)society: 社会
Mitchell被整,他跑去了伏尔坎黑人消防员联会
Requested a transfer.
Request: 要求 transfer: 转移
请求调离。
Mitchell made this racial.
racial: 种族的
Mitchell将事情上升到种族。
-Foster: So, you had to choose sides?
choose: 选择
所以你得选择立场了?
-Wallace: I tried to protect him, but he was young and proud.
protect: 保护 proud: 骄傲的
我尝试保护他,但他年少轻狂,
He wouldn't learn.
不肯吸取教训。
And the more he pushed, the worse it got.
push: 逼迫
他越反抗被恶整得越厉害。
-Loker: So, you hopped on the fire wagon.
hop: 单脚跳,跳跃 fire wagon: 消防车
你跳上了消防车。
You found out he had a peanut allergy,
allergy: 过敏 peanut: 花生
得知他有花生过敏,
and you thought, well, that'll teach him?
就认为这能给他教训?
-Wallace: Yeah. We did that months ago.
是的,我们几个月前就做了。
The kid got hives all over, and it was funny as hell, but it didn't kill him.
hives: 荨麻疹 funny: 好笑
小子满身红疹,好笑到死但那样没有把他弄死。
No. Things got much worse.
不,事情变得更糟。
My guess-- someone screwed with his equipment.
guess: 猜screw: 扭紧,压榨 equipment: 装备
我猜测--有人动了他的装备。
-Loker: Wasn't you?
不是你?
-Wallace: I wouldn't touch another firefighter's equipment.
equipment: 装备
我不会碰其他人的装备。
Now, I may have hated the kid, but I didn't want him dead.
我可能不喜欢那小子但我却不想他死。
-Foster: Someone did.
有人想。
Who had the racial problem with Mitchell?
谁和Mitchell有种族矛盾?
-Wallace: Many guys.
很多人。
It could have been any one of them.
可能是任何一个人。
-Adams: I can't believe Wallace didn't come forward earlier.
come forward: 涌现,主动地响应要求做某事
想不到Wallace之前没有报告。
-Loker: Yeah, the black firefighter won't rat on the racists.
rat on: 告发,背叛 racist: 种族歧视的人
对,黑人消防员一般不会告发种族歧视的人。
-Adams: It is a little surprising, isn't it?
surprising: 令人惊异的
挺令人惊奇,是吧?
-Foster: Well, not really.
并不惊奇。
The firehouse is a more important association for Wallace than race.
association: 协会,社团 race: 种族
对Wallace来说留在消防局比种族问题更重要。
And in his mind, race wasn't an issue until Mitchell came along.
come along: 一道走
在他看来,种族在Mitchell来之前不是个问题。
-Adams: You're saying this was Eric's fault?
fault: 过错
你是说,这是Eric的责任?
-Loker: No, no. This is the new face of racism.
racism: 种族主义
不是,这是种族歧视的新嘴脸。
Instead of overt prejudice, you see unconscious discrimination.
Instead of: 代替,而不是 Overt: 公开的,明显的 unconscious: 失去知觉的
discrimination: 歧视
不再是公然的偏见,却见下意识的歧视。
Nobody's joining the klan, but a lot
Klan: (ku klux klan)三K党,美国历史上和现在的一个奉行白人至上主义的民间组织,也是美国种族主义的代表性组织。
没人再加入3K党但老板偏向于雇佣白人,
over the black guy with the same resume?
即便黑人有同样的资质。
-Foster: And when unconscious racism surfaces, it can be lethal.
surface: 披露出来 lethal: 致命的
当下意识的歧视浮现会有毁灭性的后果。
And then what starts out as reasonable hazing turns deadly.
deadly: 致命的,致死的
情有可原的恶作剧演变为致命游戏。
-Adams: So, how do we find the men responsible?
responsible: 有责任的
我们怎样找出凶手呢?
-Foster: We'd like to run the company through a little experiment.
company: 友伴 experiment.: 实验
我们想做一个小实验。
-Holly Sando: As I said earlier, I...I've read his books, and I've seen him interviewed,
interview:面谈
就像我说过的,读了他的书看了他的访谈。
and I really believe that Manny Trillo was A... is a changed man.
我确信Manny Trillo已重新做人。
-Ria: I asked Holly Sando to come in, and she wasn't up for it,
up for: 打算,准备
我叫Holly Sando进去她没有准备好
I pulled her statement to the press after the parole hearing.
parole: 誓言
我调出了她在假释聆讯后对媒体发表的言论。
-Holly Sando: I think it's-it's amazing the way he's-he's turned himself around.
turn around: 转身(转变)
我认为...他...他转变实在令人振奋。
-Ria: She keeps flashing contempt, anger.
flash: 闪现contempt: 轻视
她不断表露出轻蔑和愤怒,
She still hates the guy.
她仍然憎恨那男人。
-Foster: You may be right. Trillo may be threatening her.
threaten: 恐吓
你可能猜对 Trillo或许威胁了她。
-Cal: No. I told you, everything we've seen from Trillo up till now—
up till now: 到现在为止
不,我说过,到现在为止Trillo的所有表现--
the old videotape, the interview—
videotape: 录像磁带
录像里,访谈中--
everything suggests he's evolved.
一切都表明了他的蜕变。
He's not the same man at all.
他已经不是以前那个人。
-Foster: Did any of the reporters ask her why she decided to testify for Trillo?
testify: 作证 reporter: 报告人
有没有记者问她为何决定为Trillo的假释作证?
-Ria: Um, yeah, they did.
是的,有人问。
-A man: Miss Sando, tell me, what made you come forward after all these years?
Sando女士,是什么让你在多年后挺身而出?
-Holly Sando: I had heard that the governor was considering a pardon, and I thought,
pardon: 原谅,赦免 governor: 州长
我听说政府在考虑赦免他,所以我想
well, it...it-it's time.
也许,是时候说了。
-Ria: Eyebrows up, pulled together.
eyebrow: 眉毛
抬眉,皱眉
-Cal: Fear.
害怕
-Ria: There's your answer.
这就是你的答案。
-Trillo: Stopping by for lunch?
lunch: 午餐
又来吃午饭?
-Cal: No. Just a question.
不,过来问个问题。
Did you get someone to threaten Holly Sando?
你派人去恐吓Holly Sando了吗?
-Trillo: I'm not threatening Holly Sando.
我没有恐吓她。
-Cal: Really? Because that would be your typical gang banger move, right?
typical: 典型的 banger: 香肠,鞭炮
真的,这难道不是你们这种黑社会惯用伎俩么
Get in touch with your old familiars.
get in touch with: 与……接触 familiar: 熟人
找点熟人。
Send her a message.
给她点警告。
-Trillo: Look, that's not me, not anymore.
听着,真不是我,我已经改变了。
-Cal: You sure you haven't called any of your old friends?
你确定没有找你那些小弟?
-Trillo: I don't talk to those lacras.
我没有和他们联络。
-Cal: Oh, now, that is not the truth.
你看,这下你撒谎了。
You see how you're hunched over?
hunch: 弯腰,驼背
你看你现在驼着背的样子。
Well, we do that when we're lying.
人在撒谎的时候,
We try to take up as little space as possible.
总会显得畏畏缩缩。
And you really ought to work on that anger trigger, mate.
work on: 影响,设法说服 trigger: 触发mate: 同伴
另外你真得控制一下你的怒气,
Raises the blood pressure, and the heart rate.
blood pressure: 血压 heart rate: 心律
这让你血压升高,心律加快,
It's not good for you.
这对你没好处。
-Trillo: Okay.
好吧。
The truth is, I'm in contact with some of them.
contact: 联系
我确实和其中一些人有联系。
I'm working with the gang task force on a truce between Punio and La Salva.
task force: 特遣部队
我正协助反黑组平息Punio和La Salva的争端。
They told me to keep it quiet. It's dangerous.
这很危险,他们要我保密。
But I haven't been sending anyone out after Holly Sando.
但是我没有指使任何人去恐吓她。
-Ria: I don't believe you. He hasn't changed. His truce?
truce: 休战
我不相信你,他没有改变,他说要平息争端?
Just so that the cops won't notice that he's taking over el Punio again.
notice: 注意
只是迷惑警察的障眼法而以。
-Trillo: Nada es real ni es mentira.
没有所谓的真实或谎言。
Nothing is real or a lie.
没有所谓的真实或谎言。
It all depends on the color of the glass you're looking through.
depend on: 依赖 glass: 玻璃
真假只是取决于你是否戴着有色眼镜看我。
Look, there's so much good I can do if you just get me out of here.
如果你让我出去,我能给这个社会做很多事。
Get me out of here, and I'll prove it to you.
prove: 证明
让我出去,我会证明给你看。
-Loker: Over the next ten minutes, you'll be shown a series of images.
series: 连续
接下去的十分钟,你会看到一组照片
Each image will be followed by a series of adjectives.
adjective: 形容词
每张照片都会有一系列形容词供你选择,
If the adjective describes the image, click yes.
click: 点击
如果那个词可以来形容图片,按"是",
If not, click no.
如果不是,按"否"。
-Foster: Hey, Sylvia.
Sylvia
-Sylvia: What are you guys up to?
up to: 正在做
你们在忙什么?
-Foster: We're testing for racial bias.
bias: 偏见 racial: 人种的
我们在测试种族歧视。
People with unconscious bias find it easier to associate positive adjectives with Caucasian faces.
associate: 联系 Caucasian: 白种人
潜意识里有种族歧视的人更容易将白人脸孔和褒义形容词联系起来。
When we shift to an African-American face--
当换成黑人脸孔的时候--
the biased firefighters still associate the adjective with the image.
有种族歧视的防火员还是会把这些词和图片联系在一起,
It just takes them longer.
只是他们的反应会变慢。
-Sylvia: Clock the racist.
racist: 种族主义者
计算出来的种族歧视。
-Loker: Oh, they're all racist.
他们都是有种族歧视。
Yeah, 80% of people who take this test are biased.
biased: 存有偏见的
是的,接受测试的人中80%有这问题。
We're just looking for the guy who takes the longest.
我们只是看谁是最严重的。
-Sylvia: Oh, they're just about done.
他们大概做完了。
-Foster: All right, can we, uh, pull up the average association time for each of them?
association: 结合 average: 平均
让我们来看看他们每个人的平均测试结果。
-Loker: It's taking David Caddick three times as long to say nice things about African-Americans.
看来David Caddick需要用三倍的时间来对黑人做出正面形容。
-Foster: Looks like we have a winner.
我们找到优胜者了。
-Caddick: I am not a racist.
我不是种族主义者。
-Foster: No, you don't think you are.
你只是自己都不觉得而以。
But it would explain why you took such an active role in the hazing.
但是却可以解释为什么你在黑整事件中有那样的所作所为。
-Caddick: I didn't do anything different than the other guys.
我只是做了大家都做得事。
-Loker: You didn't mess with Eric Mitchell's equipment?
mess with: 干扰,胡乱摆弄
你没有在Eric的装备上动手脚吗?
-Caddick: I didn't have a problem with Mitchell.
我和他没过节。
-Loker: We know that you hated him.
我们知道你恨他。
You don't even realize how much you hated him.
你甚至都没意识到自己有多恨他,
How much you hate all of them.
或者有多恨他们(黑人)。
-Caddick: I'm telling you that I didn't have any kind of a racial problem with Mitchell.
我说了,我根本没有对Mitchell种族歧视。
-Foster: But you had another problem with him.
但是你有和他有其他过节。
-Caddick: The guy couldn't keep it in his pants.
这家伙下半身不老实。
-Loker: This was... about a girl?
这事和女人有关?
You see the disgust?
你看到他厌恶的表情了?
-Foster: Yeah, that's hate.
是的,那是恨意。
I'm guessing it's racially motivated.
我猜想这就是动机了。
Was that your problem?
这让你很不爽?
Was it that he was black and she was white?
是不是因为他是黑人而女孩是白人?
-Mr. Mitchell: I didn't know Eric was dating a white girl.
我不知道Eric在和白人女孩约会,
Is that why this happened?
难道是因为这个?
-Loker: Well, we're not sure.
我们还不确定。
Racial hatred is about disgust, but when we pressed Caddick about the girl…
他也许对黑人只是厌恶,但是当我们对Caddick提到那女孩的事情…
-Foster: The predominant emotion was anger, which suggests that Eric may have crossed some other line.
cross a line: 过线
他的情绪就转为愤怒,说明Eric可能做了什么让他难以忍受的事,
That maybe Caddick was angry because he disrespected his code.
disrespected: 不敬,失礼
使他愤怒的可能是他觉得Eric做的太出格。
-Mr. Mitchell: By dating a white girl?
和白人女孩约会?
That's not part of any code that I remember.
code: 编码
我可不觉得Eric有哪点做的出格了。
-Loker: Well, we don't think this was just any white girl.
可能那个女孩不是一般人。
Might have been another firefighter's girl.
firefighter: 防火员
也许已经是其他防火员的女朋友。
-Mr. Mitchell: He knew better.
他心里有数,
He was smarter than that.
不会犯这种低级错误。
-Foster: Did he ever bring anyone home from the firehouse?
他以前带什么队里的女孩子回来过吗?
-Mr. Mitchell: Oh, god...
上帝...
she came by.
她来过。
After Eric died.
Eric死后,
She was upset.
upset: 难过
她看起来很难过。
She brought me a meal.
meal: 一餐
她给我带了点吃的。
-Foster: Do you remember her Name?
你记得她的名字吗?
-Mr. Mitchell: Kerry.
Kerry
The chief's niece.
niece: 侄女
队长的侄女。
-Ria: Should I call D.C gang task force?
gang: 阿飞党task: 派给...任务
要我打电话给反黑组吗?
Ask if they've heard of a threat against Holly Sando?
问一下他们对于恐吓Holly Sando是否耳闻?
-Cal: Nope.
不用。
Trillo didn't show any deception leakage.
deception: 欺骗 leakage: 漏
Trillo没有一点撒谎的痕迹。
Not when he denied threatening Sando,
不管是在否认恐吓,
not when was talking about the truce.
truce: 休战
还是说和反黑组合作的事上。
-Ria: He's a criminal.
他是个罪犯,
He's a fantastic liar.
fantastic: 极好的
他是个厉害的骗子。
-Cal: He's an appalling liar. He's atrocious.
appalling: 令人震惊的 atrocious: 残暴的
他骗人技术也太差了吧。
The one time he did lie, he was. Completely transparent; you.. Should’ve seen that.
transparent: 透明的 completely: 完全地
他确实有一次撒谎,但是很明显,你应该有察觉...
-Ria: So you think he's telling the truth?
所以你觉得他说的都是事实?
-Cal: I don't think he's going back to the gang.
我认为他不会再入黑帮。
-Ria: Then why is holly Sando lying?
那Holly Sando为什么撒谎?
If Trillo isn't threatening her, why is she lying for him?
如果Trillo没有威胁她,那她为什么要为他撒谎?
-Cal: Well, I don't know.
呃,我不知道。
Could Be any number of reasons.
reason: 理由
可能有某个原因。
-Ria: Yeah, but there aren't any.
对,但就是找不到。
Man, you need to listen to me.
listen: 听
老大,你得听我的。
You saw his anger. You know this guy is violent.
violent: 暴力引起的
你看到了他的愤怒你知道这个家伙很暴力,
You need... you need to listen to me.
你得... 你得听我的。
-Cal: You need to stop making this personal.
personal: 私人的
你不能再感情用事啊。
-Ria: I'm not making this personal.
我没有感情用事。
-Cal: Yeah, You are.
有,你有。
Your procerus doesn't move, which means you had your nose fixed, right?
procerus: 降眉间肌 fixed: 修理的,固定的
你的降眉间肌都没有动你是刻意控制着鼻子吧?
You don't strike me as particularly vain, so…so what is it then?
strike: 打击 vain: 虚荣的 particularly: 独特地
我向来不觉得你自负,所以是怎么回事?...
Who was it? Was it your dad? Your dad smack you around?Right?
smack: 用掌击,拍打
是谁? 是你父亲? 你父亲一直打你?
-Ria: I know violent people.
我了解暴力的人,
They don't change.
他们不会改的。
You said so yourself.
你自己也说了,
Once people learn this kind of trigger...
一旦人们学会这种激发因素...
who are you calling?
你打给谁?
-Cal: I think you might be right in a way.
我认为你说的有点道理。
Put me through to lieutenant governor Goldin, please.
请帮我接副州长Goldin,
I think you should go ahead and announce Trillo's release. Let him go
announce: 宣布
我认为你该释放Trillo 让他走,
Yeah, just one thing, though.
对,但还有件事,
Have the cops follow him.
让警察跟着他。
-Kerry: I met Eric on his first day.
Eric第一天上班的时我认识了他,
He was so excited.
excited: 兴奋的
他很是兴奋。
He moved here from dc, and he didn't know anyone, so I…
anyone: 任何人
他从华盛顿搬过来人生地不熟,所以我…
I offered to take him out.
我主动提出带他出去转转。
I was being friendly, and... and six months later, he asked me to marry him.
我很友善... 6个月后他向我求婚。
-Foster: Your relationship--it was a secret?
secret:秘密
你们的关系--一直保密?
-Kerry: It had to be.
必须这样。
Working in the house, it's like having a dozen overprotective brothers.
overprotective: 过度保护的
在消防队工作,就像有了一打具有过度保护意识的兄弟。
And my uncle, he...
而且我的叔叔,他...
-Foster: he didn't know?
他不知道?
-Kerry: He wouldn't let me date a fireman, not...not one in his house.
date: 约会
他不让我跟消防员约会,不..不能跟他所在的消防队队员约会.
That's why Eric put in for a transfer.
put in for: 申请 transfer: 调任
这就是Eric申请调离的原因
I thought that if we made a clean break…
make a clean break: 突变,彻底的改变
我还以为,要是一切都解决好了...
we were going to move to a little town outside of Philly.
我们打算搬到费城郊外的一个小城去。
He wanted a family.
他想要个家。
-Adams: Jack?
Jack?
-Morrow: I had no idea.
我一点也不知道。
I had no idea that they were in a relationship.
relationship:姻亲关系
我一点也不知道他们在谈恋爱。
-Foster: That's true.
是的。
-Loker: Apologies.
apology: 道歉
打断一下,
I took the liberty of taping your reaction just now.
liberty: 自由 reaction: 反应
我获准录下了你刚才的反应,
When your niece started describing her relationship…
niece: 侄女 describe: 描述
当你侄女开始讲述她的恋情时...
-Kerry: and six months later, he asked me to marry him.
marry: 结婚
6个月后他向我求婚。
-Loker: Surprise.
惊讶
-Adams: So, this has nothing to do with Mitchell's murder?
murder: 谋杀
所以他与Mitchell被杀没有关系?
-Foster: It did.
有关系。
Eric Mitchell was killed because he stepped out of line.
step out of line: 离开常轨
Eric Mitchell之所以被杀是因为他做了出格的事儿,
He slept with the chief's niece.
niece: 侄女
他与队长的侄女上了床。
He disrespected the code.
disrespect: 不敬
他犯戒了。
Now, the chief sets the rules,
rule: 规矩
队长制定了规矩,
but he doesn't enforce them.
enforce: 强迫,执行
但并不强求大家遵从。
That's somebody else's job.
那是其他人的责任。
-Loker: I taped you, too.
我也录了你的。
-Kerry: and six months later, he asked me to marry him.
marry: 和...结婚
6个月后他向我求婚。
-Foster: Anger and disgust: The language of hate.
disgust: 厌恶
愤怒加厌恶: 这就是痛恨的表现。
-Morrow: You? You killed him?
你? 你杀了他?
-Clayton: No. I didn't.
不,我没有。
I just wanted to humiliate him. He needed to learn humility.
humiliate: 羞辱 humility: 谦逊,谦虚
我只是想羞辱他,他得学会谦逊。
-Morrow: He was one of our men.
他是我们中的一员。
-Clayton: No, he wasn't one of my men.
不,他不是我的人。
My men respect the code.
respect: 遵守 code: 法典
我的人守规矩。
My men don't complain when they're forced to broom the latrine,
complain: 抱怨 broom: 打扫 latrine: 厕所
我的人不会抱怨被强迫扫公共厕所,
and my men know damn well not to crap where they eat.
crap: 废话,排便 damn: 诅咒
我的人清楚地知道不能在吃饭的地方大便。
-Morrow: For god's sakes, Tommy.
看在上帝的份上,Tommy
You killed a man.
你杀了人。
-Adams: Arrest him.
逮捕他。
-Clayton: I was just following the code.
我只是遵守规矩。
-Cal: Holly Sando?
Holly Sando?
What have you got there, a .38?
你手里拿的什么一把点38口径手枪吗?
.38 special?
点38口径特制手枪?
Police said you registered that a couple of months ago.
register: 登记 couple: 连结
警察说你几个月前登记的,
Long enough to figure out how to use it, eh?
figure out: 想出
有足够时间弄清楚怎么用,是吧?
-Holly Sando: He's right. I've been practicing.
practice: 练习
他说得对,我一直在练习使用。
-Police: Drop the weapon! Drop the weapon!
weapon: 武器
放下武器! 放下武器!
-Trillo: Easy Now, easy.
放松,放松,
Okay, everybody, calm down.
calm down: 平静下来
好了,所有人冷静一点。
-Police: Move out of the way!
站到一边去!
-Trillo: Just give me a minute to talk to her.
给我一分钟我跟她谈谈。
Just want to talk to Ms. Sando.
只想跟Sando女士谈谈。
Holly. Holly.
Holly Holly,
Listen to me. Can you listen to me?
听我说,能听我的话吗?
If you have to do this, I understand.
understand: 了解
如果你非得这么做,我理解。
I want you to know that I understand.
我想让你明白我理解你的做法。
-Holly Sando: I don't care if you've changed. I don't care.
我不管你是否变了,我不管。
Manny, you're still the man who killed my husband.
husband: 丈夫
Manny 你还是那个杀我丈夫的人。
-Trillo: I know.
我知道。
-Holly Sando: You took him away from me.
你把他从我身边夺走。
-Trillo: I know.
我知道。
-Holly Sando: You took him away.
你杀了他。
And you, you can change all you want.
change: 改变
你,你可以改过自新,
You can never change that!
但这个事实你改变不了!
-Trillo: I know. and I'm sorry.
我知道,对不起。
I'm sorry.
对不起。
I'm sorry.
对不起。
-Cal: Got a minute?
有时间吗?
Trillo wanted you to have this.
Trillo给你的,
I'm sorry about before.
之前的事对不起了,
Sometimes I see so much, I don't know how not to tell people.
有时候看出太多东西来反而不知道怎么跟人说清楚。
-Ria: Yeah, I get that.
嗯,我明白。
-Cal: You're right. Most people don't change.
你说得对,大多数人不会变。
I mean, I've been there, waiting for it,
我是说,我一直等着他们改变,
hoping for it, and then they just don't.
希望他们改变,但他们就是不变。
But there are a few, I think, who can.
但有少数人,我觉得,是会变的。
-Ria: Any other life lessons?
lesson: 给...上课
又一个人生哲理?
-Cal: When someone...bashes you around, who's twice your size, just whenever he feels like it,
bash: 怒殴,猛烈的一击
那个人...比你个子大二倍,他想什么时候打你就什么时候打你,
you learn to read emotions pretty fast.
emotion: 情绪 pretty: 相当,颇
你很快学会看表情。
We adapt to survive.
adapt to: 适应 survive: 活下来
生存之道,不用人教
Your abuse made you a natural.
abuse: 虐待 natural: 天生的,本能的
你受的虐待使你成了个天才,
He made you what you are.
是他让你有了这一才能。
-Ria: Well, I'll be sure to thank him.
呃,那我得好好谢谢他了。
so what about you?
那么你呢?
-Cal: I'm not a natural. I had to learn this.
我不是天才,我得老实学啊。
-Ria: Why'd you want to learn?
为什么想学呢?
What, you all of a sudden became obsessed with facial expression?
be obsessed with: 死抱住……不放 facial: 面部的 expression: 表达
怎么,是突然对面部表情着迷了?
I didn't think so.
不是这样的,
So who was it?
那是什么原因?
Who made you who you are?
又是谁成就了你呢?
词汇解析:Gloria 校对:Polly Tiny Cherry



评 论


