-Hostess: Cal Lightman sees the truth.
truth: 真相
Cal Lightman能看到事情真相。
It's written all over your face.
all over: 遍及,从头到尾
一切都写在你脸上,
It's also in your voice, your posture,
voice: 声音 posture: 姿势,体态
还有你的声音、姿势,
the words you choose.
choose: 选择,选定
你说出的话语。
Because of Dr. Lightman's scientific discoveries,
scientific: 科学的 discovery: 发现
正因为Lightman博士的科学发现,
We know that these signs are the same...
sign: 迹象,征兆
我们知道了这些迹象有着相同的答案...
-Cal: Laying it on a bit thick, isn't she?
lay it on thick: 乱吹捧;露骨地恭维 a bit: 有点
是不是说得太天花乱坠了?
-Emily: It's called selling books, dad. Shut up and bask.
sell: 出售,卖 shut up: 住口,闭嘴 bask: 享受乐趣,得到满足
这叫推销。老爸,乖乖坐着吧。
-Hostess: Now, give him 5 minutes and 20 questions,
给他5分钟提20个问题,
And he'll know whether you went off to Argentina to cheat on your wife.
whether: 是否 go off: 离开 Argentina: 阿根廷(南美洲国家) cheat on: 对…不忠
他就能知道你是否背着老婆跑去阿根廷会情人。
Lied about a well-timed stock sale,
lie: 说谎 well-timed: 正合时宜的,时机正好的 stock: 股票
骗人说股市大好,拖人下海。
or murdered a one-night stand.
murder: 谋杀 one-night stand: (俚) 一夜夫妻之交
或是杀了一夜情对象。
Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in welcoming.
join in: 参加,加入 welcome: 欢迎
女士们先生们,下面有请。
The world's foremost deception expert.
foremost: 第一流的,最重要的 deception: 欺骗,诡计 expert: 专家
世界一流的测谎专家。
And one of America's preeminent scientists,
preeminent: 卓越的 scientist: 科学家
美国的卓越科学家,
author of “lies we tell”, Dr. Cal Lightman.
author: 作者
《我们的谎言》,作者Cal Lightman博士。
-Cal: Well, she's right when she says I'll know if you're lying,
lying:(lie的现在进行时)说谎
她说的没错,我能看出谁在撒谎。
But what I wanna know is why.
wanna:=want to 想
但我想知道的是背后的原因,
That's still your secret.
secret: 秘密
而这原因则是你们的秘密。
Any questions?
有问题吗?
-Men: Dr. Lightman.
Lightman博士。
-Cal: Thanks for coming.
感谢你能来。
How come no one ever looks me in the eye at these things?
how come: 为什么 looks sb. in the eye: 看着某人的眼睛
为什么没人看着我的眼睛说话?
-Emily: Oh, cool tattoo.
cool: [俚语]极妙的,极好的,出色的 tattoo: 纹身
纹身很炫啊。
-Cal: Who do I make it out to?
make out: 书写,填写
我要写谁的名字?
-Trisha: Uh, Trisha, please.
呃,Trisha 麻烦了。
You're really the world's biggest expert on lying?
你真是世上最厉害的测谎专家?
-Emily: When he's not being a dad or a big-time author.
big-time: 一流的
当他不是爸爸不是杰出作家的时候。
-Trisha: So you'll know I'm telling the truth.
tell the truth: 说实话
那你一定能知道我没说谎,
The police don't believe me. No one does. I…
police: 警察 believe: 相信
警察不相信我,没人相信。我…
I just really need someone to believe me.
我只想能有人相信我。
I saw a murder.
murder: 谋杀,凶杀
我看到了一场谋杀,
I didn't "see it" see it, but I saw it
不是"亲眼看见"的那种看见。
In a vision, a psychic vision,
vision: 幻想,幻影 psychic: 对超自然力量敏感的;通灵的
是幻象,像是通灵了一样。
but I know it really happened.
happen: 发生
但我知道事情真的发生了。
Am I telling the truth?
我说的是实话吗?
-Cal: Yes, you are.
是的。
-Gillian Foster: Where are we going?
我们这是去哪?
-Cal: Surprise. Oh. Divorce present.
surprise: 惊奇 divorce: 离婚
一个惊喜给你,离婚礼物。
-Gillian Foster: Wasn't planning to toast the demise of my marriage,
plan: 计划 toast: 庆祝 demise: 死亡 marriage: 婚姻
虽然没打算要庆祝婚姻告终,
But thanks.
不过,谢了。
-Cal: How you feeling?
你感觉怎么样?
-Gillian Foster: Horrible, depressed, like a loser.
horrible: 讨厌的恐怖的 depressed: 沮丧的 loser: 失败者
糟透了,很沮丧,感觉很失败。
-Cal: You're happy.
你很开心。
-Gillian Foster: I'm not happy. I'm devastated.
devastated: 【devastate: 使不知所措,使陷于混乱,使混乱; devastated: 挫败的,心情混乱的】
我不开心,我很挫败。
-Cal: All right, Trisha Howell,
好吧,Trisha Howell,
She's a Georgetown law student,
Georgetown University:【乔治城大学,是位于美国华盛顿哥伦的一所私立大学,成立于1789年,被认为是美国最好25座大学之一。美国总统克林顿、菲律宾总统阿罗约及台湾政治人物宋楚瑜等是乔治城大学校友。乔治城大学法学院是美国最好的十四所法学院之一,位于首都华盛顿市中心国会山下,在美国和世界法律界享有崇高的声誉】 law: 法律,法学 law student: 法学学生
乔治敦大学的法学学生,
And she claims she had a psychic vision of a murder.
claim: 声称
她声称自己产生幻象,看见了谋杀。
-Gillian Foster: I understand the scientist in you sees every day as an opportunity to discover
opportunity: 机会 discover: 发现,发觉
我能理解作为科学家,你充分利用每一天,抓住机会,
something new and wonderful about the brain,
wonderful: 奇妙的 brain: 大脑
挖掘大脑的新功能,
but come on. You don't believe in psychics.
come on: 得了,算了 believe in: 相信 psychics: 心灵学
可你又不相信通灵这一套。
-Cal: Well, as of now, I'm Switzerland.
as of: 到…时为止 Switzerland: [A landlocked European country which has been neutral in many historical conflicts, including the two world wars. The act of being neutral or non-committed on a subject, usually a controversial one.瑞士,一个欧洲的内陆国家,瑞典在几次历史性的冲突中保持中立,所以Switzerland也表示在一个问题上,特别是在具有冲突的问题上所持的中立的观点。]
可现在,我保留意见。
-Gillian Foster: Plus our plate is too full for this.
plus our plate is too full for this: [并且,我们的工作时间表已经够满了的。plus这里是连词,表示“并且”,plate: 愿意“盘子”,也表示“工作时间表”。另外on one's plate : 需要完成的任务和工作]
我们手上的工作够多了,
We have a potential Supreme Court nominee to vet.
potential: 可能的,潜在的 Supreme Court: 最高法院 nominee: 被提名的人 vet: 审查
有个最高法院法官候选人等着我们审查。
-Cal: Well, I do believe there's a scientific explanation for what she saw.
scientific: 科学的 explanation: 解释
我相信对她的所见,一定有科学解释。
Uh, Trisha Howell, this is, uh, Gillian Foster.
Trisha Howell,这是 Gillian Foster,
Why don't you tell Foster here about your vision?
vision: 幻象
把你的幻象说给Foster听听。
-Trisha: Um, I started writing it down,
start: 开始 write down: 写下
我正要写下来,
But, um, I saw a man...
我看到一个男人...
Tall, short black hair, blue eyes.
高个、黑色短发、蓝色眼睛,
He's in a hotel, room 202, and he's freaking out.
hotel: 旅馆 freak out: 极度不安,反常
他在一家旅馆的202房,他吓坏了。
There's blood all over.
blood: 血 all over: 到处
到处是血。
-Gillian Foster: Whose blood was it? Did you see a victim?
victim: 受害者
谁的血? 你看到受害人了没?
-Trisha: Just an ashtray smashing down,
ashtray: 烟灰缸 smash: 摔碎
只看到掉下一个烟灰缸,
And then he's running, and...
然后他就跑了...
The hotel sign has some kind of a devil on it.
sign: 标记,符号 kind of: 有几分 devil: 魔鬼
旅馆招牌上好像有devil这个词。
It's, uh…
旅馆在...
It's by that druggie park over off of "L" street.
by: 旁边 druggie: 吸毒者,瘾君子 park: 公园
在L打头的街上,旁边有个瘾君子常去的公园。
-Gillian Foster: Can you excuse us for just one moment?
你坐一会,我们马上回来。
-Cal: That was a smooth exit line. It was very professional.
smooth: 圆滑的 exit: 退场 line: 方法 professional: 专业的
退场白很圆滑,相当专业。
-Gillian Foster: This is a matter for the police or a magic 8-ball.
matter: 事件,问题 magic: 魔术的,魔法的 magic 8-ball: 【魔法8号球是一个用来算命的小玩意儿,是由Abe Bookman先生在1946年发明的。它外表看起来像一个桌球里面超级大的8号球,里面装满蓝色液体,还有一个清楚的窗口,通过该窗口可以看到一个漂浮在液体中的 20 面体。这 20 个面的每一面上都是一个问题的答案。要想从 8号球的答案里获得指导,你可以先把球窗口向下,问一个“是”或“否”的问题;然后把球翻转过来窗口朝上,一个有着 20 个面的多面体会浮到窗口上,20 个答案中的其中一个是可见的,告诉你问题的答案!据说魔法8号球里面的液体中存有死者的灵魂,这些灵魂会告诉你死者给你的答案。】
这归警察管,或者魔法8号球 (算命用的玩具)。
-Cal: Right, these are the options…
有这么几个选项:
One...
一...
Trisha's ill;
Trisha病了。
two, she actually is a psychic;
psychic: 通灵的人
二、她确实能通灵。
three, she witnessed a murder
witness: 目睹,目击
三、她目睹了一场谋杀,
and no one believes her.
却没人相信她。
In any of these cases, she needs our help, right?
case: 情况
无论哪个,她都需要我们的帮助。
-Gillian Foster: Agent Reynolds is waiting with Judge Simon.
agent: 特工 wait: 等待 judge: 法官
Reynolds特工和Simon法官在外面等。
-Cal: Potential supreme court nominee. Right.
最高法院法官候选人。对!
-Ben Reynolds: Ah, here he is.
他来了。
Judge Simon, this is Dr. Cal Lightman.
Simon法官,这是 Cal Lightman博士。
-Judge Simon: Glad you could clear your schedule on such short notice.
clear your schedule:【把日程排开 clear: 打扫,清除 schedul:日程计划 on short notice: 急忙,忽然
感谢你能放下手边的工作临时接待我们。
-Cal: Yeah, well, I couldn't, actually. This is Ria Torres.
actually: 实际上,其实
其实我没时间,这是Ria Torres。
She's gonna determine whether or not you're a lying son of a bitch.
gonna:=going to determine: 决定,测定 whether: 是否 lying: 说谎的
son of a bitch: 混蛋
由她来决定你到底是不是满嘴谎言的混蛋。
-Ben Reynolds: [gasps] Just one...
gasp: 喘气,吸气
请稍等...
The president specifically asked for you.
president: 总统 specifically: 特定地,明确地 ask for: 找,请求
总统指名你负责。
-Cal: You do know I can tell when you're lying, don't you?
tell: 分辨,断定
我能看出你撒没撒谎,你知道吧?
-Ben Reynolds: Yeah, well, how about this?
那我换一个,
Vetting this guy is the F.B.I.'s responsibility,
vet: 审查 FBI: 【美国政府】 Federal Bureau of Investigation (美国)联邦调查局 responsibility: 责任,职责
审查这个人是FBI的责任,
and you have a contractual obligation to give F.B.I. cases top priority.
contractual: 契约的 obligation: 义务,责任 top priority: 应予最优先考虑的事
而你签过契约,有义务,优先解决FBI的案子。
-Cal: Lightman group has that obligation, not Lightman proper.
group: 团体,组 proper: 严格意义上的
是Lightman小组有义务,不是Lightman一个人。
And, uh, Torres is a natural, remember? She's gonna do fine.
natural: 天才人选 remember: 记得
Torres拥有天赋,记得吗? 她能搞得定。
-Ben Reynolds: No, fine's not gonna cut it.
cut it fine: 刚刚够用
不,搞得定可不够。
If this guy's got some deep, dark secrets…
要是这人有不可告人的秘密…
-Cal: He does. He does. We all do.
他有,肯定的,是人都有,
Let me be clear.
clear: 清楚的
我把话说清楚。
-Ben Reynolds: My ass is on the line.
ass: 屁股 on the line: 处于危险之中
出了事,吃不了兜着走的人是我。
-Cal: Zoe. I was just gonna call you.
Zoe!我正要打给你。
-Zoe: I saved you the trouble. Hi, Ben.
save: 节省 trouble: 麻烦
我替你省事了,嗨,Ben。
-Ben Reynolds: Hey.
嘿。
-Cal: Testy ex-wife triumphs testy F.B.I. Agent. Excuse us.
testy: 易怒的,暴躁的 ex: 以前的,前任的 ex-wife: 前妻 triumph: 获胜
脾气暴躁的前妻打败异常暴躁的FBI特工,失陪一下。
-Ben Reynolds: We're not done.
done: 完成了,做好了的
我们还没说完。
Always nice to see you, Zoe.
见到你总是那么愉快,Zoe。
-Zoe: Nice to see you, Ben.
很高兴见到你,Ben。
-Cal: Emily says you've been good weird. She's concerned.
weird: 古怪的,怪异的 concerned: 担忧的
Emily说你有些古怪,她有点担忧。
-Zoe: I quit the department of justice.
quit: 辞职 department: 部门 justice: 司法 department of justice: 司法部
我辞了司法部的工作,
I'm moving to Chicago to head up my own practice.
move: 搬迁 Chicago: 芝加哥 head up: 领导,主管 practice: 工作,执业
我要搬去芝加哥自己开公司。
-Cal: What does Emily have to say about this?
Emily对此怎么想?
-Zoe: She doesn't know yet, and since she'll wonder
since: 既然 wonder: 奇怪
她还不知道,不过既然她会奇怪
why I'm not going in to work,
我为什么不去工作,
I figured we should probably tell her before then, say, today.
figure: 想,认为 before then: 那时以前
不如对她直说...比如在今天。
-Cal: Well, Chicago's a nice town.
town: 城镇
芝加哥是个好地方,
Not close, though.
close: 临近的,附近的
就是远了点。
-Zoe: Well, you were always the one who said if I had any guts,
gut: 勇气,毅力
你总是说我该拿出点勇气,
I would start my own law firm.
firm: 公司 law firm: 律师事务所
开一间自己的律师事务所。
-Cal: Yeah, but, Chicago?
但一定要去芝加哥?
-Zoe: You remember Dave Gruber from law school?
你还记得法学院的Dave Gruber吗?
-Cal: The handsy, flirty guy.
handsy: [an adjective to describe people who cannot keep their hands to themselves. A person who constantly touches, pokes, feels, rubs, or otherwise molests someone or something.形容一个人不能控制自己的双手,经常触碰,刺,感觉,摩擦或者干扰某人或某物] flirty: 轻浮的,爱调戏的 guy: 家伙
那个毛手毛脚轻浮的家伙。
You're gonna work for the handsy, flirty guy?
你要为这种人工作?
-Zoe: No, I'm not going to be working for him.
我不是为他工作,
I'm gonna be running a new branch of his law firm.
run: 经营,管理 branch: 分部,分支
我是要管理他的律师事务所的分部。
-Cal: Yeah, but still not your firm, though.
但那不是你的事务所。
-Zoe: I knew you would try to make me change my mind,
change one’s mind: 改变主意
我知道你想让我改变主意,
And I'm not going to, ok? It's done, so just be happy for me.
趁早放弃,我决心已定,就为我高兴一下吧。
-Cal: I am happy for you. Good.
我替你感到开心啊,很好。
It'd just be quite an adjustment for Emily.
adjustment: 调节,调整
对Emily来说是个不小的变动。
-Zoe: It'll take time.
会需要时间适应,
She's an amazing kid.
amazing: 令人惊异的,
但她是个了不起的孩子。
-Cal: You wanna take Emily to Chicago.
wanna:=want to
你要带Emily去芝加哥。
-Zoe: I've already made a schedule
schedule: 计划,日程表
我连计划都做好了。
where you can have her for the holidays,
holiday: 假期
假日你能带她去旅游,
And, you know, you're free to come to Chicago any time you want.
be free to: 随意,不受约束
只要你想,随时都能来芝加哥。
You know, we can make this work.
work: 有效,奏效
我们可以的。
Look, I'm not saying it's not selfish,
selfish: 自私的
我承认是有点自私,
but the right thing for me also happens to be the right thing for Emily.
happen to: 发生,落到
但对我有好处的决定对Emily绝对有利无害。
Don't do that.
别这样,
You know I hate it when you do that.
hate: 讨厌,憎恨
你知道我有多讨厌这个。
-Ria Torres: Thanks for waiting, Judge Simon.
让您久等了,Simon法官。
-Judge Simon: I came here fully prepared to be vetted by an expert.
fully: 充分地,完全地 prepare: 准备 vet: 审查
我来这儿,是做好了准备接受专家的审查。
How old are you?
你多大了?
-Ria Torres: Twenty-four,
24岁,
Let's get started.
我们开始吧。
-Cal: Where's the girl?
那个女孩呢?
There was a girl in there claiming psychic abilities. Where is she?
claim: 声称 psychic: 通灵的 ability: 能力
那里面有个女孩,说自己有超能力,她人呢?
Where's the girl?
那个女孩在哪?
-Eli: Oh. Do we have funds for a study on herd behavior?
fund: 资金,款项 study: 研究 herd: 兽群,牧群 behavior: 行为
我们有没有款项做羊群行为的研究?
-Cal: The girl, where is she?
那个女孩,她在哪?
-Eli: She left.
她走了。
-Cal: Oh, and you let her?
你就让她这么走了?
-Eli: I run a research lab, not a prison.
run: 经营 research: 研究 lab: 实验室 prison: 监狱
这里是研究实验室,又不是监狱,
She wanted to leave. She left.
她想走就走呗。
Where are you going?
你去哪?
None of my business.
none of my business: 不关我的事
没我什么事,
Check. Power of nonverbal communication. Awesome. Love it.
check: 检查,核查 power: 能力 nonverbal: 不用语言的 communication:交流,沟通 awesome: [美国俚语]非凡的;顶呱呱的;极好的,棒极的
继续,非言语沟通能力,帅呆了!爱死了!
-Cal: You got a room?
有空房不?
-Waiter: You looking for company?
look for: 寻找 company: 伙伴,伴侣
要找个伴吗?
-Cal: Uh, No.
不用了,
Not in this economy.
not in this economy:【没有那个经济状况,economy: 经济,经济状况】
经济太差没那闲钱,
I'll settle for the porn package.
settle for: 满足于 porn: <口>(=pornography)色情文学, 色情描写 package:(电视或广播里)完整的一套节目
弄几张碟看看就够了。
-Policeman: Well, that does appear to be blood.
appear: 出现,似乎 blood: 血
看上去确实是血。
-Cal: Well, we need to find the girl.
我们要找到那个女孩,
I assume you wanna bring her downtown.
assume: 假定,猜想 downtown: 市区
我猜你会想带她去警局。
-Policeman: The girl with the psychic visions?
那个通灵的女孩?
Well, why don't we just have her give us tomorrow's lottery numbers,
lottery: 抽彩给奖法
索性让她告诉我们明天的彩票号码得了,
and we can all retire early?
retire: 退休
这样咱就能提前退休了。
Nice to meet you.
很高兴见到你。
-Ben Reynolds: So this is what you dragged me down here for.
drag: [口语]硬拖,硬拉;把…硬拖入(某种局面、行动等),把…拖进来
你就为了这个叫我来。
You know, every hotel room this side of town is gonna be ripe with blood and various other human discharges.
ripe: 难闻的 various: 不同的,各种各样的 discharge: 流液,体液
城市这一块的旅馆每间屋里,都有血迹和各种各样的体液,
No body, no crime.
body: 尸体 crime: 犯罪
没有尸体就没有谋杀。
I'm getting back to the judge.
judge: 法官
我要回去找法官,
I suggest you do the same.
suggest: 建议
你最好也是。
-Ria Torres: Well, that's it for your, you know, most prominent cases.
prominent: 卓越的,显著的 case: 实例,例子
关于你的光辉事迹就讲到这吧。
Uh, let's move on to your family.
move on to: 移到
下面来聊聊你的家庭,
Ah. Ok. Celia, your wife, tell me about her.
好的。你妻子Celia,跟我说说她。
-Judge Simon: What would you like to know?
你想知道什么?
-Ria Torres: Uh, well, I guess the… the big one is, uh, have you ever cheated on her?
cheat on: 对…不忠
问个最重要的,你背叛过她吗?
-Judge Simon: I can't imagine any senator on the judiciary committee asking me that.
imagine: 想象 senator: 参议员 judiciary: 司法的,法院的 committee: 委员会
我想不出司法委员会的哪个参议员会问这种问题。
-Ria Torres: Oh, no. That's not… I mean, I…I just…
不是,我只是…
I have to ask you.
我要问你。
-Judge Simon: The answer's no.
答案是没有。
-Ria Torres: So you've never been interested in another woman in that time?
be interested in: 对…感兴趣
就是说你从没被其他女人吸引?
-Judge Simon: Never.
没有。
-Ria Torres: Really? You never cheated?
真的?你就没出过轨?
-Ben Reynolds: He said no.
他说了没有。
-Ria Torres: Did you ever cheat on your taxes?
tax: 税
有偷税漏税吗?
-Ben Reynolds: Torres.
Torres!
-Judge Simon: No, and I've been paying them longer than you've been breathing air.
breathe: 呼吸 long: 长的
没有。我缴税的年头可比你呼吸空气的日子长多了。
-Ria Torres: My age really bothers you.
bother: 烦扰,打扰
你很看不惯我的年龄。
-Judge Simon: In my experience, anybody under the age of 35 normally doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
experience: 经验 normally: 通常 don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground:【It means you don't know any better or not up for the job.表示某人不能胜任某项工作 eg: You don't know your assfrom a hole in theground .What makes you think you can do this? 你根本就不知道怎么做这项工作,所以什么使你认为你可以胜任这份工作?ass: 臀部】
在我看来,不到35岁的人,都没法做好自己的工作。
So, yes, the fact that you're standing between me and a position on the Supreme Court of the United States of America does not thrill me.
position: 位置,职位 Supreme Court: 最高法院 thrill: 使颤动,使激动
鉴于你挡着我通向美国最高法院的康庄大道,的确让我不舒服。
-Cal: Trisha. Found this under the bed.
Trisha,在床下发现了这个。
-Jessie: Who are you?
你是谁?
What do you want?
你想要什么?
-Cal: Don't you know me?
你不记得我了?
-Jessie: Oh, yeah, yeah. I know you.
是是,我记得你,
You and me, we're old friends, babe.
babe:<俚> 宝贝
我们是老相识了,宝贝。
-Cal: Tell me your name.
告诉我你叫什么。
-Jessie: Why should I?
我为什么要说?
It's Jessie.
Jessie。
-Cal: I'm Cal Lightman.
我是Cal Lightman。
We met earlier today.
今天早些时候我们见过,
Only, then you were someone else.
不过,你当时是另外一个人。
-Jessie: I'll be anybody you want me to be.
你想让我当谁我就当谁。
-Cal: I wanna spend some time with you.
我要占用你一点时间。
No. Not like that.
等等,不是要这个,
I want you to meet some friends of mine.
我要你见见我的朋友。
-Jessie: Gonna cost you extra.
cost: 花费 extra: 额外的
那你得再给点。
-Cal: This would better be worthy there.
worthy: 值得的
希望能值回票价。
-Foster: The camera, the strange white room.
camera: 照相机 strange: 奇怪的
摄像头、奇怪的白色房间,
She's afraid.
afraid: 害怕的
让她感到害怕。
-Eli: And we're about to get funky.
be about to: 将要… funky: 胆战心惊的
古怪的事来了,
4 hours ago...
这是4小时前...
Right before she ran out of here.
run out of: 从…跑出来
就在她离开之前。
-Cal: Shoulders back. Chest out.
shoulder: 肩膀 chest: 胸膛
肩膀后展、挺胸,
Totally different posture.
totally: 完全地 posture: 姿势
姿势完全变了。
-Foster: Totally different girl.
变成另一个人了。
-Eli: Hello, hair.
换个发型看看。
-Cal: Trisha walked into that room, and Jessie walked out.
走进去的Trisha,离开的是Jessie。
-Eli: Yeah, for funsies, I had... hooker Jessie writes down her coffee order,
funsies: [to do something for the fun of it.. "I did it for funsies" meaning "I did it for fun!" ] hooker: 妓女 order: 订单
好玩的地方来了...我让妓女Jessie写下要什么咖啡,
and I compared that to law student Trisha's account of her so-called vision.
compare: 比较 account: 记述 so-called: 所谓的 vision: 幻象
然后和法学学生Trisha的所谓幻象报告作了字迹对比,
Night and day.
night and day: [ a phrase used to describe a stark difference between two things. Similar to ‘day and night’ ,except it implies an improvement of the situation rather than a deterioration.用来形容彻底的,十足的差别,和day and night的意思相近,但是night and day还有情况有所改进而不是继续恶化的意思]
天壤之别。
These two documents indicate two fundamentally different personalities.
document: 文档 indicate: 显示 fundamentally: 根本地 personality: 人格
这两个文本体现了两种完全不同的人格。
-Cal: Trisha's got it,
也就是说Trisha有。
multiple personality disorder.
multiple: 多重的 disorder: 杂乱,混乱 personality disorder: 病态人格
多重人格障碍。
-Eli: The holy grail of psychiatry.
holy: 神圣的 grail: 杯,大盘 holy grail:〈宗〉圣杯,圣盘【The ultimate goal of an occupation, profession, or endeavor.即某种事业,职位的最终目标。】 psychiatry: 精神病学
精神病学的圣杯啊!
-Cal: This is your divorce present.
这是你的离婚礼物。
-Foster: It's dissociative identity disorder,
解离性同一性障碍(多重人格),
and it's…it's more plausible than a psychic phenomenon,
plausible: 看似真实的,似是而非的 psychic: 精神的 phenomenon: 现象
这比通灵合理多了,
but just barely.
barely: 几乎没有
但是很少见。
Of course, if it is D.I.D.,
D.I.D.: [dissociative identity disorder分离性身份识别障碍,一个人具有两个以上的、相对独特的并相互分开的亚人格,是为多重人格。dissociative: 分离的,游离的 identity: 同一性,身份]
解离性同一性障碍(多重人格),当然,如果真是多重人格,
there's empirical evidence of explicit memory transfer in such cases.
empirical: 完全根据经验的 evidence: 证据 explicit: 清楚的memory: 记忆 transfer: 转移
确实实验证据表明详细记忆能进行转移,
I mean, she could have…she could have perceived that as a vision.
perceive: 察觉,感知
她可能把这个当成是幻象了。
-Eli: So her alter witnessed a murder.
alter: 改变【这里指改变了的人格】 witness: 目睹
她的某个人格目睹了谋杀经过。
-Foster: Or committed a murder.
commit: 犯罪[commit a murder: 犯了谋杀罪 commit suicide: 自杀]
或是参与了谋杀。
-Cal: No. no, this girl didn't hurt anyone.
不对,这个女孩没有伤害别人。
If she had, her other personalities would never have let her come to me, right?
come to: 到达,找
如果是她干的,她的其他人格怎么会让她来找我?
-Foster: Jessie probably isn't the only alter.
也许不止Jessie这一个人格。
-Cal: Right.
是啊。
-Jessie: You know I can see you all out there staring at me.
stare at: 盯着
我能看见你们盯着我。
-Cal: Loker.
Loker。
-Jessie: What the hell?
what the hell: 究竟,到底(用于加强语气或咒骂)
这是干嘛?
-Cal: Just giving you some privacy.
privacy: 隐私
给你保留点隐私。
-Jessie: Met some freaks in my time,
freak: 怪人 in one’s time: 在某人的一生中
怪人我见过不少,
but this place is perv central.
perv: 性欲倒错者;性欲反常者 central: 总局,中心
但这里算得上变态聚集地了。
-Cal: Oh, you might have a point there.
point: 要点
也许你说对了。
-Jessie: Guess if you're paying for it.
guess: 推测 pay for: 付款
既然你付钱了。
-Cal: Why'd you sneak into that hotel room?
sneak into: 偷偷溜进
你为什么要溜进那件屋子?
-Jessie: Why did you?
那你呢?
-Cal: Were you trying to cover up a crime?
cover up: 掩盖
你想销毁谋杀证据?
-Jessie: No.
不是。
-Eli: Lip curl, forced eye contact.
lip: 嘴唇 curl: 卷曲 forced: 强迫的 eye contact: 目光接触
抿嘴、强迫性对视。
-Cal: You're lying.
你在撒谎。
-Jessie: I'm not some lab rat.
lab: 实验室 rat: 老鼠
我可不是实验白老鼠。
-Cal: Did you kill somebody?
你杀了人?
-Jessie: No.
没有。
-Eli: Heart rate and blood pressure are steady.
rate: 比率 heart rate: 心率 pressure: 压力 blood pressure: 血压 steady: 稳定的
心率血压稳定。
It's not determinate, but she's believable.
determinate: 确定的 believable: 可信的
不能完全肯定,但是可以相信她。
-Foster: I'm gonna go see how Jessie feels about hypnosis.
hypnosis: 催眠
我看看Jessie对催眠有何反应。
-Eli: Bring your wallet.
别忘了带上钱包。
-Ria Torres: You presided over 16 cases before your 35th birthday,
preside over: 负责,主持 case: 案例
在你35岁之前审理的16起案子里,
Starting with Cahill v. Wilson,
start with: 从…开始
从Cahill的Wilson一案开始,
Then Abandandou v. Temple...
然后是Abandandou的Temple一案,
Ohio v. George.
Ohio和George的?
All right, Ohio v. George.
是这个,Ohio的George。
Why do you have that reaction to that case?
reaction: 反应
为什么对这个案子你会做出那样的反应?
-Judge Simon: What reaction?
怎样的反应?
-Ria Torres: A drifter named Bryce George raped 56-year-old Margaret Lane.
drifter: 流浪者 rape: 强奸
一个叫做Bryce George的流浪汉,强奸了56岁的Margaret Lane。
-Judge Simon: Where's Agent Reynolds?
agent: [美国英语]政府(机构)代表;政府特工人员;执法官
Reynolds探员人呢?
-Ria Torres: Busy. You gave him life in prison for a first offense?
life in prison: 终身监禁 offense: 违法
忙别的事去了。他是初犯,你就判处他终身监禁吗?
-Judge Simon: You think I should have given him a lesser sentence?
lesser:(less的比较级)较小的,次要的 sentence: 判刑
你觉得我应该判得轻一点吗?
Agent Reynolds doesn't know that we've started up again, does he?
start up: 突然出现,发动
Reynolds探员不知道你又来审问我了,对吧?
-Ria Torres: Did you have a personal relationship with Margaret Lane?
personal: 私人的 relationship: 关系
你和Margaret Lane有没有私人关系?
-Judge Simon: No.
没有。
-Ria Torres: I may be 24, but I have a talent for spotting lies.
talent: 天赋 spot: 发现
也许我只有24岁,但是在识别谎言方面我很有天赋。
-Judge Simon: Move on, Ms. Torres.
move on: 继续
继续,Torres小姐。
-Ria Torres: You know, you really shouldn't speak that way to the person standing between you and the Supreme Court.
你真的不应该用那种语气跟一个能决定你命运的人说话。
-Foster: Just listen to my voice and float.
float: 飘浮;浮现(于眼前、心中等)
注意听我的声音,闭上眼睛,
As you listen to my voice, keep breathing,
breathe: 呼吸
听的同时继续呼吸。
getting heavier with each exhale,
heavy: 重的 exhale: 呼气
每次呼气,你都会觉得更困一些,
again, allowing yourself to fall into a deep... Deep sleep.
fall into: 落入,陷入 deep: (睡得)深沉的
再一次,你就睡着了...睡得很沉很沉。
-Eli: In their conscious lives,
conscious: 【心理学】意识 live: 活着,有生命【这里指“当意识存在时”】
在他们有意识的时候,
the alters aren't aware of each other.
be aware of: 知道,感受到
各个分裂的个体感受不到其他个体的存在。
Hopefully hypnosis will allow Foster to tap into their shared unconscious.
hopefully: 有希望地 hypnosis: 催眠 allow: 允许 tap into: 接进 shared: 共享的 unconscious: 【心理学】潜意识
希望催眠可以让Foster,触及到他们共有的潜意识。
-Ben Reynolds: Torres is in over her head with Judge Simon.
over one’s head: 使某人不能理解
Torres对Simon法官太过分了。
-Eli: You know, I could, um… I could jump in on that.
jump in: 投入
我想,我可以去看看,
I'm just saying I have seniority,
seniority: 资历
至少我比较有经验。
And if the wrong guy gets put on the Supreme Court,
put on: 把…放在 supreme court: 最高法院
如果不合适的人进了最高法院,
I mean, that could really affect the whole future of the county.
affect: 影响 future: 未来 whole: 整个的,全部的
那可是会影响整个国家的前途,
Yeah, I'm fine here.
我还是就待在这里好了。
-Foster: Now that you're fully relaxed,
now that: 既然 fully: 完全地 relaxed: 放松的
现在你已经完全放松了,
You can open your eyes.
可以睁开眼睛了。
Is it all right if I ask you a few questions?
可以问你几个问题吗?
-Jessie: Sure.
可以。
-Foster: Can you tell me about Trisha?
可以跟我说说Trisha吗?
-Jessie: Ucch. Her.
她呀。
-Foster: You don't like her?
你不喜欢她?
-Jessie: She thinks she's so perfect.
perfect: 完美的
她以为她有多完美,
Anyway, Gavin likes me way better.
不管怎么说Gavin更喜欢我。
-Foster: Who's Gavin?
Gavin是谁?
-Jessie: My best friend.
我最好的朋友。
-Foster: Why don't you tell me about him?
为什么不跟我说说他的事呢?
-Jessie: I don't want to.
我不想。
-Foster: Well, maybe Trisha can tell me about him.
也许Trisha可以告诉我一些他的事,
Can I speak to her?
我能跟她谈谈吗?
-Trisha: Hi, Dr. Foster.
你好,Foster博士。
-Foster: Trisha?
Trisha?
-Trisha: What am I doing here?
我怎么会在这里?
-Foster: I met Jessie today.
我今天见到Jessie了。
You two don't get along.
get along: 相处,(与…)和睦相处
你们关系不好吗?
-Trisha: She's very crass.
crass: 粗鲁的
她太粗俗了。
-Foster: Jessie was telling me about Gavin.
Jessie刚在跟我说Gavin的事。
-Trisha: She would.
我就知道,
She thinks he adores her.
adore: 喜爱,爱慕
她觉得他只喜欢她。
-Foster: Trisha, did anything bad happen to you?
Trisha 你有没有遇到过不幸的事,
You know, anything when you were younger?
在你小的时候?
-Trisha: The bad things happen to R.J.
坏事都发生在R.J.身上。
-Foster: R.J. That's a new name.
R.J.那是一个新的名字。
Can I talk to her?
我能跟她谈谈吗?
-Trisha: You mean him.
你是说他吧,
R.J. doesn't talk to people.
R.J.不和别人说话。
R.J.'s strong.
R.J.很强壮,
Nobody can hurt him.
没人能伤害他,
He protects the rest of us.
protect: 保护 rest: 其余的
他保护我们所有人。
I don't wanna think about this anymore.
wanna:= want to anymore: 不再
我不想再谈这件事了。
-Foster: You're doing great. No problem.
你做得很好,可以了。
All right, you can close your eyes.
现在闭上你的眼睛,
On my count, you're gonna wake up feeling refreshed.
count: 计数 wake up:醒过来 refreshed: 精神振奋的
当我数到一,你会醒过来,感觉精神焕发,
You'll be completely yourself.
completely: 完全地
你就是你自己。
3, 2, 1,
三,二,一。
Trisha. Trisha, you're…you're safe.
Trisha Trisha 你很安全,
Trisha, you're safe. Trisha.
Trisha,没事的,Trisha。
Trisha, you're safe.
Trisha 你很安全。
-Sophie: I'm not Trisha.
我不是Trisha,
I…I'm Sophie.
我是Sophie,
I'm Sophie.
我是Sophie,
I'm Sophie. I'm Sophie.
我是Sophie,我是Sophie,
I'm Sophie.
我是Sophie。
-Cal: Sophie, I'm Dr. Cal Lightman.
Sophie,我是Cal Lightman博士,
This is Dr. Gillian Foster.
这一位是Gillian Foster博士。
Try to relax, please.
请你试着放松。
-Sophie: I don't wanna be in a hospital.
hospital: 医院
我不想待在医院里。
-Cal: It's not a hospital.
这里不是医院,
It may look kind of weird,
kind of: 有点 weird: 怪异的
这里也许看起来有点奇怪,
but this is where I work.
但是我就在这里上班。
You came to me.
你来找过我。
-Sophie: Which one of me?
哪一个我?
-Cal: You know about the other personalities?
personality: 人格
你知道有其他人格的存在?
You know about Trisha and Jessie and, uh--and R.J.?
你知道Trisha、Jessie,还有R.J.?
-Sophie: They stole my life.
stole:(steal的过去式)偷盗,偷窃
他们偷走了我的人生。
-Foster: Sophie, are…are you the core personality?
core: 核心
Sophie,你是核心性格吗?
-Sophie: I'm the real person,
我才是真正的我,
The doctors say.
医生们是这么说的。
Wh…what did they do?
他们干了什么?
They did something bad?
他们惹了什么麻烦吗?
-Cal: We believe one of your personalities witnessed a murder.
witness: 目睹 murder: 谋杀,凶杀
我们认为他们中的一个目睹了一起凶杀案。
Trisha came to me because she thought I could help.
Trisha来找我,因为她觉得我可以帮上忙。
-Sophie: God. Why?
天哪!为什么?
-Cal: She tried the police, but they didn't believe her.
她去找过警察,但是他们不相信她,
The work I do here is determining the truth,
determine: 决定
而我的工作就是让真相大白。
And I do believe her.
我相信她,
I think we can help you.
我想我们能帮你。
-Sophie: You can't help me.
你们帮不了我,
Nobody can help me.
没人能帮我。
-Foster: There's a murderer out there who may know who you are.
murderer: 杀人法,凶手
现在外面有一个杀人犯,他可能认识你,
We need to prove a crime happened
prove: 证明
我们需要确认有人受害,
to get the police involved.
involve: 干涉,使陷于 get…involved: 使某人插手
才能通知警察来插手。
Can you tell me who Gavin is?
你能告诉我,Gavin是谁吗?
-Sophie: I don't know.
我不知道。
-Cal: Sophie...
Sophie...
You're safe here.
你在这里很安全,
You can trust us. I promise.
promise: 承诺
你可以相信我们,我发誓。
-Sophie: Gavin's my brother.
Gavin是我弟弟,
I don't see him, ever.
我一直不和他联系了,
Um, Jessie does.
Jessie一直去。
-Ria Torres: “Starting with Cahill v. Wilson,
“从Cahill的Wilson一案开始
then Abandandou v. Temple,
然后是Abandandou的Temple一案
Ohio v. George.”
Ohio的George一案”
Look. Right there. 5c
看,就是这里,5c
That's fear.
代表恐惧。
-Ben Reynolds: If you say so.
随你怎么说。
-Ria Torres: He doesn't want me anywhere near that case.
anywhere: 无论何处
他不想让我问和那个案子有关的事,
Ok, watch this. Ohio v. George was a rape case.
看这里,Ohio的George一案,是一起强奸案,
Nicole Lane was the victim's daughter.
rape case: 强奸案 victim: 受害人
Nicole Lane是受害者的女儿。
-Nicole Lane: And now he will never hurt another woman.
现在他再也不能伤害另一个女人了,
Judge Simon did the right thing.
Simon法官做了正确的事。
He's a noble man, and I'll always be grateful.
noble: 高尚的 grateful: 感激的
他是个高尚的人,我会永远感激他。
-Ria Torres: Her pupils dilate when she talks about the judge.
pupil: 瞳孔 dilate: 扩大,膨胀 talk about: 谈到 judge: 法官
当她谈到法官的时候瞳孔放大了,
That's arousal.
arousal: 觉醒,激发
表示她认识他,
And her voice gets all gooey.
voice: 声音 gooey: 黏而甜,过分多情的
她的声音也变得很甜蜜。
-Ben Reynolds: Heh. Well, you expect me to tell the president not to nominate this guy because 20 years ago,
expect: 期待,指望 president: 总统 nominate: 提名,任命 guy: 家伙
那你指望我跟总统说,因为20年前,一个女人的声音因他变得甜蜜,
some woman's voice got all gooey.
所以不能提名他吗?
Have you even talked to her?
你有没有跟她谈过?
-Ria Torres: She died.
她死了,
Ovarian cancer 2 years ago.
ovarian: 卵巢的 cancer: 癌症
两年前死于卵巢癌。
But look. Watch this.
但是你看,看着,
It's the same face.
相同的表情。
I am telling you, he had an affair with Nicole Lane during that trial.
affair: 风流韵事 trial: 审判,审讯
我告诉你,他在那件案子审理过程中和Nicole Lane之间有私情。
-Ben Reynolds: Or maybe you just don't like the guy.
也许你只是不喜欢他。
-Ria Torres: Excuse me?
你说什么?
-Ben Reynolds: Come on. I'm no face reader,
face reader: 【由面部表情读出别人的心思】
承认吧,我不会读心术,
But even I can see it.
也看得出来你不喜欢他。
-Ria Torres: He's a liar,
liar: 说谎者,骗子
他撒谎了。
A liar who had an affair with someone directly involved in a case he was deciding.
directly: 直接地 involved: 有关的 decide: 决定,判决
他在审理案子过程中和一个直接关系人产生了私情,而他隐瞒了这一点,
He doesn't deserve to be on the Supreme Court.
deserve: 应收,值得
他没资格成为最高法官。
-Ben Reynolds: Maybe, maybe not, but, see, the problem is
也许有,也许没有,现在问题是,
the second that this got personal,
second: 片刻,时刻 personal: 私人的
在你把自己的情绪带进工作中的那一刻,
You lost the right to make that decision.
right: 权利
你也就失去了做出判断的资格。
-Cal: Hi. How you doing?
你好吗?
Gavin Howell? I'm…
Gavin Howell?我是..
-Gavin: Jessie?
Jessie?
Oh, my god.
我的天哪!
Sophie?
Sophie?
-Cal: What happened to your sister?
你姐姐遭遇过什么事?
Well, whatever it was,
而无论是什么,
You blame yourself, don't you?
blame: 责备
你都觉得是自己的错,对吗?
-Gavin: The two of us spent summers at our grandparents' farm in upstate New York.
grandparents: 外祖父母,祖父母 upstate: 北部的,偏僻的
我们小时候会去纽约州北部爷爷奶奶的农场度过夏天,
Uh, for me, it was heaven.
heaven: 天堂
对我来说那里就是天堂。
-Cal: Not for Sophie?
对Sophie来说不是。
-Gavin: I didn't know till I was 10 and she was 13.
之前我一直都不知道,直到我10岁那年,她13岁,
I went into a bar and my grandfather did things to her.
go into: 走进 bar: 谷仓 grandfather: 爷爷
那天我走进一个谷仓,看到爷爷在对她做一些事
It was evil.
evil: 邪恶的
邪恶的事。
-Cal: When did you first start seeing a change in her,
change: 改变
你什么时候注意到她的变化,
that she was different?
她变得不一样了?
-Gavin: Jessie showed up the next summer,
show up: 出现
Jessie在第二个夏天出现了,
selling herself to local kids.
local: 当地的
向当地的孩子出卖自己的身体。
Uh, Trisha came later.
然后是Trisha。
-Cal: They visit you.
她们来看你。
-Gavin: Jessie does.
Jessie来。
She crashes in my shed when she's had a rough night, but I…
crash: 横冲直撞 shed: 小屋 rough: 不愉快的,艰难的
当她不开心时,就会来我这里,但我...
Not lately. I haven't seen her in months.
lately: 最近
已经有好几个月没见她了。
-Sophie: I really stay here?
我真的住在这里吗?
-Gavin: Scared the hell out of me first time you showed up.
scare: 惊吓,受惊 the hell out of me: [用于加强语气,scare the hell out of: 把我给吓死了]
你第一次来的时候差点没吓死我。
-Foster: Does anything feel familiar, Sophie?
familiar: 熟悉的
有没有什么眼熟的东西,Sophie?
-Sophie: Uh, I got that bike for my seventh birthday.
那辆自行车是我七岁的生日礼物。
-Cal: I smell that bad, Gavin?
我身上很臭吗,Gavin?
-Foster: You're holding your breath,
hold one’s breath: 屏息
你在屏着气,
which could mean you're tense or upset...
mean: 意味 tense: 紧张的 upset: 烦心的
也就意味着你很紧张,或者很生气...
Or it could mean you're hiding something.
hide: 隐藏
或者你想要隐瞒什么事。
-Cal: Exhale marks the spot.
exhale: 呼气 mark: 标志,标记 spot: 地点
你喘气告诉了我位置。
-Sophie: Gavin.
Gavin。
-Gavin: I'm sorry.
对不起。
I can…I really can't protect you, can I?
我还是保护不了你,对吧?
-Cal: Kyle Arnow.
Kyle Arnow。
-Sophie: Did I kill him?
我杀了他吗?
-Cal: Hi.
你好。
-Kyle’s wife: Yes?
有什么事吗?
-Cal: Um, Sorry about the intrusion.
intrusion: 闯入,侵扰
抱歉打扰了,
I…I was just driving by, and I saw your car.
drive by: 开车路过
我只是路过,然后看到了你们家的车,
It's a beautiful car.
很棒的车。
-Kyle’s wife: Thank you.
谢谢。
-Cal: I don't suppose it's for sale.
suppose: 猜想 for sale: 出售
你们应该不想出售吧?
-Kyle’s wife: It's my husband's.
那是我丈夫的车,
Oh. Kyle.
Kyle,
Another man is in love with your car.
be in love with: 迷恋
又有人爱上你的车了。
-Kyle Arnow: Well, good taste.
taste: 品味
好品味!
I had the interior completely restored about 6 years ago.
interior: 内部 completely: 完全地 restore:修复
六年前对内部进行了彻底重装。
-Cal: That's a nice job.
做得不错。
I found this...
我发现了这个...
And I thought you were dead.
我还以为你已经死了。
-Kyle Arnow: Where'd you get that?
你在哪里找到的?
-Cal: No, no. it's just, uh, evidence in a murder investigation.
evidence: 证据 investigation: 调查,研究
别动,这是一起凶杀案的证据。
-Kyle Arnow: Murder? What are you talking about?
凶杀案?你在说什么?
-Cal: So you didn't do it, then.
所以不是你干的了。
-Kyle Arnow: You have to go away.
go away: 走开,离开
你必须要离开了。
-Cal: Does your wife know you like hookers?
hooker: 妓女
你老婆知道你爱嫖吗?
-Kyle Arnow: No, because I don't.
不,因为我根本不嫖。
-Cal: Because, you know, the only thing I didn't find in your wallet was a condom.
wallet:钱包 condom: 安全套
从你钱包里,唯一没找到的是安全套,
Why don't we ask your wife…
不如我们问问你老婆...
-Kyle Arnow: Hey.
嘿!
-Cal: How your wallet ended up covered in blood at a murder scene, shall we?
end up: 最后变成 covered: 涂抹了的,盖满的 scene: 现场
你的钱包怎么会出现在凶案现场,沾满了血迹?
-Kyle Arnow: Ok, two working girls robbed me at some hotel downtown.
rob: 抢劫 downtown: 市区
好吧,在商业区的一间旅馆,两个揽活的女人试图打劫,
I fought back, and I ran,
fight back: 反抗
我反抗了,然后跑掉了,
But that's not my blood,
那不是我的血。
So how about you just mind your own damn business?
mind: 关心 damn: 该死的 business:事务 mind one’s own business: 管好自己的事
现在,麻烦你管好自己的事。
-Cal: Ok.
好的,
Ok, Kyle.
好的,Kyle。
-Kyle’s wife: What?
怎么了?
-Cal: Oh. Your husband likes unprotected sex with hookers,
unprotected: 无保护的
你丈夫叫小姐,还不带套,
So it might be a good time to get yourself tested
test: 检查
所以你最好去医院检查一下。
For, uh, you know...
你知道...
Everything, Really.
全面检查,真的,
Nice car, Kyle.
车不错,Kyle!
-Foster: Ok, let's say Sophie didn't kill anybody.
我们先假设Sophie没有杀任何人,
Or Jessie or Trisha.
或者Jessie,或者Trisha,
But there's another personality out there,
但是还有一个人格,
A male personality, R.J.
male: 男性的,雄性的
一个男性人格 R.J.。
-Cal: Yeah, but we don't even know if he exists.
exist: 存在
我们还不知道他是否真的存在。
-Foster: I think he does. I think he's the protector,
protector: 保护者
我认为他存在,作为一个保护者,
the one who emerges when there are violent situations.
emerge: 显现 violent:暴力的 situation: 情形,状况
当有暴力场面出现时,他就会现身。
What if he perceived Sophie to be in trouble?
perceive: 察觉 in trouble: 有麻烦,处于不幸之中
如果他意识到Sophie有麻烦了,
Who knows what could have happened?
谁知道会发生什么。
-Cal: Yeah, but it doesn't make him a killer, does it?
killer: 凶手
但那也不能说明他就是凶手,
R.J. could have witnessed the murder.
R.J. 可能目睹了凶案,
Things get ugly. Jessie gets scared.
things: 情况 ugly: 丑陋的 scared: 恐惧的
场面太可怕,Jessie受不了。
-Foster: And transitions into R.J., the protector,
transition: 转变
就转变成了R.J. 那个保护者,
meaning it was R.J. that Trisha saw in her vision.
也就是说Trisha看到的就是R.J.。
-Cal: R.J. running down a street.
run down: 跑下 street: 大街
R.J.冲上街头,
R.J. washing off the blood.
wash off: 洗刷掉
R.J.洗掉身上的血迹。
We talk to R.J., we'll get to the truth.
get to: 到达,接触到
跟R.J.谈谈就能知道真相了。
-Sophie: Sometimes I wake up,
wake up: 醒来
有时候我醒来,
and I'm walking across the Georgetown quad with a backpack full of books I've never seen,
quad: 方庭,方院子 backpack: 背包 full of: 充满着
发现自己背着一书包没有看过的书走在Georgetown的校园里,
or I'm in a changing room trying on an outfit I've never picked out,
changing room: 更衣室 try on: 试穿 outfit: 全套服装 pick out: 挑选
或者我在更衣室试穿我没有挑过的衣服。
Or the worst one, I'm…
或者最恐怖的一次,
I'm stumbling out of some guy's car.
stumble: 蹒跚,跌跌撞撞
我跌跌撞撞地从一个人的车上下来。
I just wanna be me.
wanna: =want to
我只想做我自己。
-Cal: Well, you'll get there, love.
get there: <口>成功,达到目的
你可以的,亲爱的。
-Sophie: Maybe one day, one of them will take over for good,
take over: 接管 for good: 永远,永久地
也许有一天,他们中的一个会永远取代我,
And I'll just be gone.
gone: 离去的,消失的
我就此消失。
-Emily: Hey, so mom said you wanted to talk to m…
嗨,老妈说你想和我谈...
Bad timing.
timing: 时间选择
来的真不是时候。
Hi. I'm sorry. Unlike my dad,
嘿,不好意思,不像我老爹,
I'm not normally totally insensitive.
normally: 通常 totally: 完全地 insensitive: 感觉迟钝的
我总是这么粗枝大叶的,一点都不敏感。
-Sophie: That's ok.
没关系。
-Foster: Uh, you hungry? Let's get a snack.
snack: 小吃,快餐
饿了么? 咱们去吃点东西吧。
-Emily: Is she ok? Yeah.
她还好吧,还好?
-Cal: No, not really.
不,其实不是。
-Emily: Well, did she really witness a murder?
那么她真的目睹了一场凶杀案?
-Cal: That's nothing for you to think about.
你不必考虑这些,
All right?
好吗?
I wanna talk to you about something else.
我想和你谈谈别的问题。
-Emily: Just please tell me you and mom aren't, like,
拜托千万不要告诉我,
getting back together or something.
get back: 恢复
你要和妈妈复婚之类的,好吗?
-Cal: Ah, no, no. um...
不、不,不会的,
Something's come up for your mum.
come up: 发生
你妈妈她出状况了。
Not now!
现在不是时候!
-Ben Reynolds: Hey.
嘿!
Remember when I said, "no body, no crime"?
还记得我说的那句"没尸体就没有案件"吗?
Yeah, well, I just got off the phone with my detective friend.
detective: 侦探,探员
好吧,我刚刚接了个电话,是我的刑警朋友打来的。
There's a body, a prostitute by the name of Amber O'malley.
body: 尸体 prostitute: 妓女 by the name of: 名叫
尸体出现了,是个妓女,叫Amber O'malley,
She's been known to work out of the Devil May Care Hotel.
be known to: 为…所知
她在一所名叫“鬼神眷顾”的旅馆工作。
That changes things.
事情发展有所变化了,
The cops, they wanna talk to your girl,
cop: 警官
那些警察想和那个女孩谈谈,
I mean like right now.
right now: 立刻
我是说现在,
They're on their way up.
on the way: 在途中 up: 到
他们正赶过来。
All right?
好吗?
-Cal: Ok. You should get home.
好,你该回家了。
-Emily: Ok.
好的。
-Cal: Ok. And we'll talk about this later.
嗯,我们过会儿再谈。
-Emily: Ok.
好的。
-Cal: You driving?
你自己开车吗?
-Emily: Yeah.
是的。
-Cal: Ok.
好。
-Cal: Hey. Let's go.
嗨,咱们走。
-Eli: What's up?
出什么事了?
-Cal: Cops found a body. They wanna talk to you.
警察发现一具尸体,他们想和你谈谈。
-Eli: Were's Foster?
Foster去哪了?
-Cal: Uh, Bathroom.
bathroom: 洗手间
哦,洗手间呢。
-Eli: Why?
怎么了?
-Cal: I need to talk to R.J.
我要和R.J.说话。
-Sophie: Dr. Lightman, what's going on?
Lightman博士,出什么事了?
-Cal: Now, before I do this,
在我做出这事之前,
I want you to know that I'm sorry.
我想让你知道,我很抱歉。
-Sophie: What's happening? What's going on?
到底怎么了? 发生什么事了?
-Cal: Take your clothes off.
take off: 脱掉
脱掉你的衣服。
-Sophie: What?
什么?
-Cal: Take your clothes off, you dirty, filthy whore.
dirty: 肮脏的 filthy: 污秽的 whore: 娼妓
把衣服脱了,你这臭不要脸的婊子,
Take your clothes off.
把衣服脱了!
-Sophie: No, no, no!
不不不!
-Cal: I can smell you from here.
我从这里都能闻到,
I can smell your stink from here. You're vile.
stink: 臭味,恶臭 vile: 卑鄙的,可耻的
你那恶心的臭味,真他妈垃圾!
-Sophie: I'm not!
我不是!
Help me!
救命!
-Cal: No one's gonna help you. No one's gonna—
gonna:= going to
没人会来救你,没有人...
-Foster: Cal! Open the door! Cal!
Cal! 快开门! Cal!
-Ben Reynolds: What's going on?
怎么了?
-Sophie: Help me!
救命!
-Foster: Get the master key.
master key: 万能钥匙
把万能钥匙拿来!
Cal! What are you... Lightman!
Cal! 你在干吗... Lightman!
-Cal: I should do them all a favor.
do sb. a favor: 帮某人忙
我真该帮他们个忙,
I should kill you right now. Shall I?
我应该现在就弄死你,对吧?
-Sophie: Please. No, please.
求求你,不要!
-Foster: Oen this door!
开门!
-Cal: Fight back!
fight back: 抵抗
反击啊!
Fight back, you son of a bitch. Fight back.
son of a bitch: 混蛋
反击啊,你个狗娘养的!
-Foster: Lightman! Cal, what are you doing?
Lightman! Cal,你发什么疯?
Open this door.
快开门!
-Ben Reynolds: Lightman!
Lightman!
Open the damn door!
快把门打开!
What the hell?
at the hell: 究竟,到底(用于加强语气或咒骂)
见鬼!
Get…ugh!
行了,住手!
Hey! Hey! All right, enough.
住手!
Come on, Lightman.
快起来,Lightman!
-Foster: Have you lost your mind?
lose one’s mind: 失去理智
你疯了吗?
-Cal: Unh! Tell me what happened in that hotel room.
呃!告诉我在旅馆里发生什么事了?
Tell me what happened in that hotel room!
告诉我在旅馆里发生什么事了?
I'm trying to protect you, just the same as you are!
我是在保护你就像你保护自己一样!
-Policeman: This is over! I'm taking her in.
take in: 押送…去警察局
一切都结束了! 我要把她带走。
-Cal: R.J. R.J.
R.J...
Who killed the other prostitute?
prostitute: 妓女
是谁把其他妓女杀死了?
Tell me.
告诉我!
R.J., who killed Amber? Who killed Amber?
R.J. 谁杀了Amber? 是谁杀了Amber?
Who killed the other prostitute? Say something!
是谁杀了那些妓女?说啊!
Say something!
说啊!
-Foster: He can't. He can't.
他不能,他不能说话,
Alters are one-dimensional.
alter: 改变 dimensional: 空间的,…维的 one-dimensional: 一维的
人格的转变是一维的。
-Policeman: Let's go for a ride.
go for a ride: 乘车兜风,骑马出游
我们去兜风吧,
Watch him.
watch: 注视,照顾
看着他。
-Foster: R.J.'s the protector.
R.J. 充当的保护者的角色,
He never needed to talk.
他从来不需要说话,
He never needed to talk.
他从不需要说话。
-Cal: Reynolds! Reynolds!
Reynolds! Reynolds!
-Ben Reynolds: What?
什么事?
-Cal: Give me one minute with her.
给我一分钟的时间,
Just give me one minute. all right?
就一分钟我和她谈谈,好吗?
I promise I'll weigh in on the judge.
weigh in: 评价,判断
我保证法官不乱来。
I promise.
我保证。
R.J. R.J. R.J. R.J.
R.J....R.J....
I know you wanna help Sophie.
我知道你想帮助Sophie,
You've been trying to help her all along, haven't you?
all along: 一直,自始至终
你一直都在试图帮助她,是吧?
Now, you showed Trisha.
show: 显示,展出
现在让Trisha出来,
She thought she was having visions, but...
vision: 幻象,景象
她知道自己看到了一些画面,但是...
You were showing her what happened, weren't you?
你曾给她看过发生的那些事,是吗?
Now, Trisha's seen pieces.
piece: 件,片
现在Trisha看到的只是片段,
If you wanna help Sophie,
wanna: =want to
如果你想帮助Sophie,
Trisha needs to see all of it.
Trisha需要看到完整的真相。
You understand?
你明白吗?
Now, I know you can't tell me,
我知道你没法告诉我,
But you can show her...
但你可以给她看,
Can't you?
对吧?
-Trisha: Dr. Lightman.
Lightman博士。
-Cal: Trisha?
Trisha?
-Trisha: I just had another vision.
我刚刚看到了其他的场景,
I know who killed the girl.
我知道是谁杀了那女孩。
-Cal: Judge. Thanks for staying so late.
法官,感谢你等到这么晚。
Right. Uh, tell the truth, whole truth,
tell the truth: 说实话
好吧,说出事实,全部的事实,
nothing but the truth, we'll have you out of here in a jiffy.
nothing but: 只有 in a jiffy: 马 jiffy: 瞬间,一会儿
要真相一字不漏,我们就立刻让你闪。
If not, we'll squash your nomination like a little bug.
squash: 压扁,粉碎 nomination: 任命,提名 bug: 臭虫 like a little bug: 【轻而易举】
如果不这么做,我们会粉碎你的提名计划,轻而易举,
You got it?
get it: 了解,懂得
明白了吗?
-Judge Simon: Got it.
知道了。
-Cal: Good. Um...
好的。
-Ria Torres: Nicole Lane.
Nicole Lane。
-Cal: Nicole lane, why'd you have sex with her?
have sex with: 与…发生性关系
Nicole Lane 你怎么会和她发生关系?
-Judge Simon: I told her and I'll tell you I didn't.
我已经和她说过了,而且我要告诉你我没有。
-Cal: Hmm. would you say you were in love with her?
be in love with: 爱上…
你是说你爱她?
-Judge Simon: Nicole came to the courtroom every day.
courtroom: 法庭,审判室
Nicole 每天都来我的法庭,
I was young, and I shouldn't have,
我少不经事,我真不应该。
But I spoke with her a couple of times in the hallway,
a couple of: 几次 hallway: 走廊
但是,我和她在走廊上相遇过几次,
always briefly.
briefly: 简要地
每次谈话都很简短,
But there were feelings...
但是当时有了感觉,
inappropriate feelings.
inappropriate: 不适当的 feeling: 感觉
实在是不适当的感觉。
Then she asked to see me in my chambers one day.
chamber: 室,房间
然后她要来看我,有一天在我私人办公室里,
We kissed...
我们吻过了...
Just once.
就一次。
-Cal: Do you think your feelings for her affected your judgment in the case?
affect: 影响 judgment: 裁判
你对她的感觉,影响了你对案件的审判么?
Did that kiss affect the sentence?
sentence: 判刑
那一吻有没有影响判决?
-Judge Simon: My behavior was improper and unethical,
behavior: 行为 improper: 不恰当的 unethical: 不道德的
我的行为是不恰当而且不道德的,
and I deeply regret it,
deeply: 深深地 regret: 后悔,忏悔
我为之深深忏悔,
But it did not affect the sentence.
但这并没有影响判决。
-Cal: Right. Right. Well, I think we're done here.
done: 完成了,做好了的
好吧。好了,我觉得我们可以收工了。
-Judge Simon: I think it best that I withdraw my name.
withdraw: 撤销 name: 【这里指提名】
我认为我最好把提名撤回。
-Ria Torres: Why?
为什么?
You were young.
你当时还年轻,
Your feelings got in the way, you made a mistake,
get in the way: 妨碍 mistake: 错误 make a mistake: 犯错误
你的感情让你犯了错,
but you've lived a good life since then.
a good life: 正派的有道德的生活 since then: 从此一直
但从那以后你一直都品行端正,生活美满。
-Judge Simon: Let's hope the president agrees with you.
agree with: 同意
希望总统能赞同你的想法吧。
-Ben Reynolds: Judge Simon, let me walk you out.
walk out: 把…带出去
Simon法官,我来送你出去吧。
-Cal: You write this up,
write up: 详细描写
报告你写,
but you choose your words carefully, all right?
但是措辞要谨慎,能行吗?
-Ria Torres: Why'd you put me on this case?
put on: 派(某人)干某事或从事某种活动
为什么让我负责?
You knew I wasn't ready.
你知道我还没准备好。
-Cal: Well, far as I can tell, you nailed it.
far as I can tell:【= as far as I can tell】就我来看 nail: 彻底了解,掌握
可就我看来,你干的不错。
Look, what do you wanna be when you grow up?
grow up: 长大
听着,你长大后想变成怎样的人?
-Ria Torres: I am grown-up.
grown-up: 长大的
我已经长大了。
-Cal: Terrific. What are you?
terrific: 很棒的,好极了
好极了,那你是怎样的人呢?
-Ria Torres: I'm… I’m a…
我...我是...
-Cal: You're on your way to becoming one of the world's leading experts in deception.
on the way: 在…的过程中 leading: 一流的,领先的 expert: 专家 deception: 欺骗
你正在以你自己的方式成为世界领先的测谎专家。
But up here, you're still a baggage screener at the airport.
baggage screener: 【安检员 baggage: 行李 screen: (监视器的)荧光屏】 airport: 机场
但在你脑子里,仍然只是个机场安检员。
Till you change that, you'll always think you're not ready.
till: 直到
除非你抛弃这想法,不然永远无法准备好。
-Ria Torres: When I was 14, my boyfriend robbed a convenience store.
rob: 抢劫 convenience: 方便 store: 商店 convenience store: 高质高价的自助食品商店
我十四岁时,我男朋友抢劫了一家便利店。
I was in the car.
我当时在车里,
I knew he was gonna do it,
我知道他会那么做,
didn't know he'd have a gun.
但不知道他有把枪,
Nobody got hurt, but somebody could have.
没有人受外伤,但有人可能会有内伤。
So for me, baggage screener was a big step up.
step up: 提高,提升
所以对我来说,安检员已经是巨大的一步了。
-Cal: Well, keep stepping, then.
那继续迈步走下去
-Sophie: Hey, baby.
嘿,宝贝。
-Trent: Where you been?
你去哪了?
-Sophie: You miss me?
想我了吗?
-Trent: No.
不。
-Cal: Figured you'd be in jail by now.
figure: 猜想 jail: 监狱 by now: 到如今
我以为你现在已经被关进监狱了。
-Sophie: Figured you'd be in jail by now.
我以为你现在已经被关进监狱了。
-Trent: I don't follow.
follow: 理解
不明白你在说什么。
-Cal: We both know I was there
我俩都清楚,
for your little tantrum the other night.
tantrum: 发脾气,发怒 the other night: 不久前的某个晚上
那晚你发脾气时我在。
-Sophie: We both know I was there for your little tantrum the other night.
我俩都清楚,那晚你发脾气时我在。
-Trent: That's crazy talk.
真是胡言乱语。
-Ben Reynolds: Why didn't you just send her in as the hooker?
hooker: 妓女
你为什么不直接让那妓女进去?
-Foster: The hooker doesn't know the whole story.
那妓女不知道整件事的来龙去脉,
Sophie does, and the hooker's a liar.
liar: 骗子
Sophie知道,而且那女人是个骗子。
-Ben Reynolds: Sophie remembers what happened?
Sophie都清楚?
-Foster: Not exactly.
也不是完全知道。
R.J. used their shared consciousness to show Trisha.
shared: 共有的 consciousness: 意识
R.J. 用共同的意识把场景展现给了Trisha,
Trisha told Lightman. Lightman told Sophie.
Trisha告诉了Lightman,Lightman又转告给Sophie。
Now it's important for Sophie to get her power back.
power: (生理)机能;体力;才能;精力【这里指属于Sophie本身的意识】
现在重要的是Sophie能保持住人格意识,
I'm not sure she's pulling it off.
pull off: 艰难的完成,成功
我不知道她是不是又变了,
She's definitely not Jessie.
definitely: 明确地,肯定地
她现在肯定不是Jessie。
-Trent: What do you want, Jessie?
你到底想干嘛,Jessie?
-Sophie: The same thing we all want, darling, money.
和你一样,亲爱的,钱!
Money in my pocket, you give me that,
pocket: 口袋 money in my pocket: 【我口袋里的钱,即原本属于我的钱】
把属于我的钱给我,
I'll give you the wallet you want so bad.
bad: 非常地
我就给你想要的钱包。
-Trent: What wallet?
什么钱包?
-Cal: The one with Amber's blood all over it,
all over: 遍及
那只沾满Amber的血的钱包,
your fingerprints, too.
fingerprint: 指纹
也有你的指纹。
-Sophie: And your fingerprints.
上面有你的指纹,
It proves you killed her.
能证明是你杀死了她。
-Trent: I didn't kill that bitch.
bitch:<俚>婊子
我没杀那婊子。
-Sophie: Yeah, you did.
不,是你杀的。
-Cal: You were angry we robbed that john.
rob: 抢劫 john: 嫖客
我们抢劫了那嫖客后你很生气,
You came, and you smash that ashtray at her head.
ashtray: 烟灰缸 smash: 用重物撞击
你进来了,把烟灰缸砸在她头上。
-Sophie: You would've done the same thing to me if I hadn't gotten out of there.
get out of: (使)从…逃脱
要是我没逃走的话,你也会那么对我的。
-Foster: She's gonna transition.
transition: 转变
她要变了!
-Cal: He hasn't admitted to anything. It's no good.
admit: 承认
他什么都没承认,这不太好办。
-Foster: If she slips into Jessie or R.J., we're done.
slip into: 匆忙穿上【这里可以理解为“突然换上Jessie的外衣,即突然变成了Jessie的人格】
如果她变为Jessie或者R.J.的话我们就露馅了,
She's gonna have no idea what's going on.
她不知道到底发生什么事了。
-Cal: Sophie. Sophie, you're doing fine.
Sophie Sophie 你做得很好,
Hang in there. Hang in there.
hang in: 坚持住
坚持住,坚持,
Sophie, you hear me?
Sophie,听见我说话了么?
Sophie, are you there?!
Sophie,在吗?
Sophie? Hang in there
Sophie,坚持住,
Sophie, He won't hurt you
除非他知道钱包在哪,
Till he knows where that wallet is.
他不会伤害你。
-Sophie: Back off, Trent.
back off: 退后
你给我闪开,Trent!
-Trent: You'd better give me that wallet.
you’d better:= you had better 你最好
你最好把钱包交给我。
-Sophie: 5 grand, it's yours.
grand: <俚>一千美元
5千块,它就是你的了。
-Trent: I don't have 5 grand.
我没有5千块钱。
-Sophie: Too bad, then.
那就太糟了。
-Trent: I told you and Amber to stop rolling johns in here.
roll: [美国俚语]盗窃(喝醉或睡着的人)口袋里的财物【roll常见的意思是“滚动”,这里采用了我们较不熟悉的意思,eg: He had been beaten up and rolled. 他受到毒打并被翻来转去地搜遍全身抢尽财物。】 john: [亦作 J-]嫖客【另外,John Doe:【法律】约翰多伊(诉讼程序中对不知姓名的当事人的假定称呼);某人,身份不明的人[参较 Jane Doe,Richard Roe];另外,a john dear letter: 给约翰的一封信,现代指分手信】
我告诉过你和Amber不要动嫖客的钱,
It was driving away customers.
drive away: 赶走 customer: 顾客
会把客人都吓跑的,
I wouldn't have done her if you had behaved right.
have done her: 了结她,杀了她 behave: 行为表现
要是你们不惹麻烦的话,我也不会了结她!
-Ben Reynolds: All right. We're good. Let's go.
好了,有证据了,我们走!
-Cal: Run! Get out of there!
快跑! 往外跑!
-Sophie: No. no!
不,不!
-Policemen: Freeze!
freeze: 【愿意是“结冰”,现也有“使站住不动”之意,一般警察说“不许动”,就是用freeze eg: As he shouted: “Freeze!”, the policeman pulled out his pistol. 警察一边喊着:“不许动!”,一边拔枪。】
站住!
-Cal: You did it. You did it. You're ok.
你做到了,做到了,没事了。
Thank you, Sophie.
谢谢你,Sophie。
You did good. You did good.
你做得很好,做得很好,
You did it.
你做到了,你没事了。
-Zoe: Hey.
嗨
-Cal: Wow.
哇
-Zoe: Yeah. Cal, I'm sorry it's happening like this. I really am.
哦Cal,很抱歉发展成这个样子,非常抱歉。
-Cal: It's for your share of the Lightman group. I'm buying you out.
share: 股份,份额 group: 由若干企业、公司组成的)集团 buy out: 买尽,买下,出钱使放弃地位
这是你在Lightman集团的股份,我给你买下了。
-Zoe: Don't do this.
别这么做。
-Cal: You got it in the divorce.
divorce: 离婚
这是你离婚分到的,
It's your money. You earned it.
earn: 挣得
是你的钱,你应得的。
Look, 15 different ways I come up with today.
come up with: 想出,提出
我今天想到了十五条不同的路,
Uh, money just shows up.
show up: 露出
钱有了,
Opportunity comes your way.
机遇摆在你的面前,
Just one small con.
con: 反对论点
只有一点不一样的是,
All right, you would have been none the wiser.
none the wiser: 仍然一无所知,依旧不懂
你从来都没有看清过。
-Zoe: I would have seen through that.
see through: 看透,识破
我已经看透了。
-Cal: You would have suspected, but you wouldn't have known.
suspect: 猜测
你可能猜测过,但你一直都不知道。
But this is my daughter.
那是我的女儿,
Last couple of days, I've been teacher,
couple of: 几个
在过去的这段日子里,我是一位导师、
Boss, a colleague, pal, bastard.
colleague: 同事 pal: 伙计 bastard: 坏蛋,讨厌鬼
老板、同事、伙计还有混蛋,
Just suits you put on, take off.
suit: 套装【这里理解为“代表某种身份的面具”】 put on: 戴上 take off: 拿掉
但都只是一些面具而已。
-Zoe: What? So dad is your favorite suit?
favorite: 最喜爱的
怎么? 父亲的角色是你最得意的面具?
-Cal: No, that's the only one that's not a suit.
不,这不是面具。
-Zoe: You can't afford this,
afford: 供应的起
你负担不起,
and I have made a commitment.
commitment: 承诺 make a commitment: 做出承诺
而且我有承诺在先。
-Cal: Everything you wanna do in Chicago,
wanna:=want to
你想在芝加哥做的所有事情,都可以在这儿做,
you can right here, except it'll be your own firm.
except: 除了 firm: 公司
而且,会是你自己的事务所,
If you take what's yours.
如果你拿走应得的部分。
I'm not saying it’s not selfish. It is.
selfish: 自私
我可没说这很无私,但的确是,
But it's the right thing for me.
但对我来说是正确的选择,
Also happens to be the right thing for you and Emily.
对你来说也是正确的,还有Emily。
-Anchorman: In other news, it looks as though the president
as though: 似乎,好像
其他的新闻报道,似乎说到,
has made a decision for a Supreme Court nomination.
decision: 决定 Supreme Court: 最高法院 nomination: 任命
总统已经为最高法院的提名作出决定。
That's right, Dan. The president this morning...
是啊,Dan,今天早上总统…
-Foster: Good morning.
早上好啊!
-Anchorwoman: Announcing his pick for the opening on the Supreme Court.
announce: 宣布 pick: 精选 opening: 开幕式
在最高法院的开幕式上宣布提名候选人
Judge William Simon, a moderate from Ohio,
moderate: 温和的
William Simon法官,俄亥俄州的温和派代表,
was considered a long shot as late as last week.
consider: 认为 a long shot: 很少机会成功的尝试
直至上周一直被看做是个聚焦的长镜头。
-Cal: I hope he made the right choice.
希望他做出了正确的选择。
-Anchorwoman: He began his career as a tough district attorney...”
career: 事业 tough: 艰苦的 district: 地方的 attorney: 辩护律师 district attorney: 检察官,通常简写做D.A.
他从一个地方检察官开始艰苦奋斗的生涯…
-Foster: I got a call from the bank,
我一大早接到银行的来电
First thing, they thought I should know that the Lightman group's loan has been approved
first thing: 首先 loan: 贷款 approve: 批准
他们认为我应该知道 Lightman集团的贷款已经获批了,
And the ownership shares have been transferred.
ownership: 所有权 share: 股份 transfer: 转移
而且股份已经被转移。
-Cal: Yeah, I know. I bought our way out.
buy out: 买断,买尽
我知道,我买断了大家的活路。
-Foster: Did you consider telling me, your partner, about this before you did it?
consider: 考虑
在你做那些事之前,你是否考虑过要告诉我,告诉你的搭档?
-Cal: Zoe was gonna take Emily, so I had to—
Zoe要把Emily带走,我只能...
-Foster: Jeopardize the financial future of this company?
jeopardize: 危害 financial: 财政的,金融的
使公司陷入财政危机?
-Cal: That's a bit dramatic, isn't it?
a bit: 有点 dramatic: 戏剧性的
这是场巨变,对吧?
-Foster: You know, I…I lied earlier
你知道的,我之前撒谎了,
When I said I was devastated about the divorce.
devastated: 挫败的 divorce: 离婚
我说对于离婚感到很挫败,
I'm not.
我没有。
You know, for the first time in 5 years,
5年来我头一次,
when I get dressed in the morning,
get dressed: 穿衣服
清晨起来穿衣服时,
I don't automatically reach for black or brown or navy blue.
automatically: 自动地 reach for: 伸手拿东西 brown: 棕色的 navy blue: 深蓝色
我没有习惯性的选黑色、棕色还是海军蓝,
I'm wearing pink today, Cal, pink,
wear: 穿 pink: 粉色的
我选了粉色,Cal,粉色,
because I like pink. It makes me happy,
因为我喜欢粉色,粉色让我开心,
which is something that I have not been for a very long time.
而我已经很久没开心过了。
I'm divorced, and I'm free, and I'm happy,
divorced: 离婚的
我离婚了,自由了,我很开心!
And if you do something to screw that up…
screw up: 把弄糟
可如果你胆敢剥夺这一切…
-Cal: I won't.
我不会的,
I promise I won't.
promise: 保证
我发誓我决不会。
You know, push comes to shove,
push: 推 shove: 挤,推 push comes to shove: 在紧要关头
要是我被逼急了,
I can always go to Vegas, make the money back, so...
Vegas:维加斯
我会去拉斯维加斯把钱弄回来的,所以...
-Foster: Wait. Don't even joke about that.
joke: 开玩笑
等等,别开玩笑。
Cal...
Cal...
Promise me you'll never go back to Vegas.
答应我你再也不会去拉斯维加斯了!
词汇解析:Maria 校对:Cici



评 论




