看电影学英语 Marley And Me 《马利和我》
-John: You know, there's nothing like the experience,
experience: 经历,经验
你知道吗,第一次养狗,
of raising your first dog.
raise: 抚养
是无与伦比的经历。
Simple joy of walking side by side,
joy: 快乐 side by side: 肩并肩,一起
在野外和你的小兄弟,
with your buddy out in the fresh air,
in the fresh air: 在户外,在野外
一起散步,
throwing a stick.
stick: 木棒
扔扔小木棒让它捡,
Spending some quiet time just you and your very best friend.
跟你的死党安静的打发时间,都是纯粹的快乐。
Of course, that wasn't my experience.
当然,这不是我的经历,
That kid's not even me.
这个孩子也不是我。
That's me, and that crazy hound I'm chasing is Marley,
hound: 猎犬 chase: 追赶
这才是我,我追着的那只疯狗就是Marley。
the world's worst dog.
世上最糟糕的狗。
Sorry!
抱歉!
Or so I thought.
至少我是这么想的。
Marley!
Marley!
But our story begins before Marley was born
但我们的故事在Marley出生四年前就开始了。
Four years before, on my wedding day,
四年前,我婚礼的那天,
which also happened to be,
happen to be: 碰巧是
也碰巧是,
the day of the worst freak spring blizzard in the history of southern Michigan.
freak: 怪异的,奇异的 blizzard: 暴风雪
春季暴风雪最严重的那一天,在southern Michigan史上。
Same day our car broke down. We didn't care.
break down: 汽车抛锚
那天我们的车抛了锚,我们倒是不在意。
-Jenny: Ooh. God, that feels so good.
噢,天哪!感觉太棒了。
Wow. So, what do you think…
哇!那你觉得,
What do you think that means…a blizzard on your wedding day?
blizzard: 暴风雪
我们新婚之际下这么厉害的暴风雪意味着什么?
Is that good luck? Is that bad luck?
是好运还是厄运?
I think I think it's good luck.
我觉得……我觉得是好运。
-John: How did I get you?
我是怎么娶到你的啊?
-Jenny: What?
什么?
-John: No, honestly. How did I how did I get that lucky?
honestly: 坦白地,诚实地
不是,我说真的,我怎么会这么幸运啊?
-Jenny: Well, you know,
呃,你知道么,
I get asked that question all the time.
这个问题我经常被问到。
Come on.
得了吧!
Are you kidding, honey?
你是在开玩笑吧,亲爱的?
You're part of the plan.
你是我计划的一部分呀。
-John: The plan?
你的计划?
-Jenny: Mm-hmm. My plan. Step one:
是啊。我的计划第一步:
Meet an incredibly sweet, smart, sexy man.
incredibly: 难以置信地 smart: 聪明的
遇上一个超级会疼人的聪明的性感的男人。
-John: Done. Step two?
完成了。第二步呢?
-Jenny: Marry you instead.
instead: 代替,反而
没有嫁给那个人反而嫁给了你。
Oh, now, and step three…
step: 步骤
噢。现在,还有第三步……
You don't wanna hear step three?
wanna: =want to,想
你不想听第三步是什么吗?
-John: No, I don't think I can take any more steps.
take: 遭受,承受
我觉得我承受不住下面的步骤了。
Yeah. What's step three?
好吧,第三步是什么?
-Jenny: It's easy.
很简单。
-John: Be gentle.
gentle: 温柔的,温和的
仁慈点吧。
-Jenny: Move someplace warmer.
搬到暖和点的地方去。
-John: I knew you were gonna say that.
gonna: =going to,将要
我就知道你要说这个的。
“Shiny, happy people laughing”
“快乐的人们灿烂的笑”
“Meet me in the crowd”
“在人群里找到我”
“People, people”
“人们啊人们”
“Throw your love around”
“慷慨献出你的爱”
“Love me, love me”
“爱我爱我”
“Take it into town”
“把爱带进小镇”
“Happy, happy”
“快乐快乐”
“Put it in the ground”
“把爱埋进土壤”
“Where the flowers grow”
“就在鲜花绽放的地方”
“Gold and silver shine”
“闪着出金银的光芒”
“Shiny, happy people holding hands”
“闪亮着,快乐的人们手牵手”
“Shiny, happy people”
“闪亮着,快乐的人们”
-John: Thank you.
谢谢。
-Jenny: All right.
不客气。
You know you got this, right?
你知道这工作已经是囊中之物了,对吧?
-John: Oh, yeah. I got it.
是啊,我能搞定的。
-Jenny: Who are you?
你是谁?
-John: I'm John Grogan?
我是John Grogan啊。
-Jenny: No, you're John Frigging Grogan,
不,你是John Frigging Grogan,
who's about to get a job as a reporter...
reporter: 记者
你马上就要成为这家
for a major metropolitan newspaper.
major: 主要的 metropolitan: 大都市的
都市主流报社的新记者了。
-John: Good. Good.
好啦。
But now I don't feel like getting out of the car.
feel like: 想要 get out of: 下车
现在我都不想下车了。
-Jenny: You have to.
你必须下车。
No, baby.
不行宝贝。
-John: Maybe we'll just drive around the block.
block: 街区
也许我们可以在这周围再兜兜风。
-Jenny: Come on, get out of the car. Get out.
得了吧,下车,下车。
-John: Now, who am I again?
好吧,再说一遍。我是谁?
-Jenny: Oh, please.
你算了吧。
-Arnie: Sebastian says you won some kind of award.
award: 奖品,奖项
Sebastian说你得过一个什么奖项。
-John: Mitchie. I have a Mitchie.
Mitchie。我得过Mitchie。
It's like a Pulitzer, but from western Michigan.
Pulitzer: 美国新闻界的最高荣誉奖
就像是western Michigan范围内的Pulitzer奖。
-Arnie: A Mitchie.
Mitchie。
So, tell me-What made you leave the estimable...
estimable: 可估量的,可尊敬的
那么告诉我你为什么要离开那家出名的,
Kalamazoo Gazette?
Kalamazoo Gazette公报?
-John: Well, as you know, Sebastian and I were in college together...
呃,Sebastian和我是大学同学,
And he was,
而且,他,他……
He was always saying how great south Florida is...
他一直说south Florida很棒很棒,
and that maybe my wife and I might enjoy it here,
说我和我妻子可能会喜欢这里,
so we decided to come down here.
come down: 下来,下落,从大城市到小地方
所以我们就搬来了。
-Arnie: Are you a comedian too?
comedian: 喜剧演员
你也是喜剧演员么?
-John: Excuse me?
什么?
-Arnie: Like your friend over here.
和你那朋友一样。
-John: No.
不是。
-Arnie: He's walking a very thin line.
他总是做事没头没脑。
It's a good thing he knows how to write.
幸好他笔头不错。
So your wife is Jenny Havens?
那么说,你妻子是Jenny Havens?
-John: Yes. Jenny Grogan. Because we're married. She took my name.
是的。现在她叫Jenny Grogan,婚后跟我姓。
-Arnie: She get the job at the Post?
她在邮报那里找到工作了?
-John: Yes, she did.
是啊。
-Arnie: Why didn't they want you over there?
邮报怎么不用你呢?
-John: Well, I didn't apply.
apply: 申请
我没申请那工作。
Jenny's more of a feature writer...
feature: 特写,专栏节目
Jenny更像个专栏作家,
and I'm more of a straight news writer.
straight: 直白的,正直的
但我更像个写严肃新闻的,
I thought this would be a better fit for that.
fit for: 适合
我觉得这里会更适合我。
-Arnie: You think you're better...
那你觉得你会比,
than the six journalism school graduates,
journalism: 新闻工作,新闻业 graduate: 毕业生
今天早上来面试的,
that came here looking for work this morning?
look for: 寻找
6个新闻专业毕业生更强吗?
-John: I don't know if I'm better. I…
我不知道我是不是比他们强。
What I do know is that I have a tendency to surprise myself.
tendency: 趋势,倾向
但我知道我总是有出乎自己意料的潜力。
Ten years ago I was doing bong hits and playing Donkey Kong.
bong: 如大钟等发出的声音
10年前我还在嗑药,玩Donkey Kong的时候,
I never dreamed I'd get into college, but I did...
get into: 达到,开始,参与
我从没想过我还能考上大学。但我考上了。
and I graduated with honors.
graduate: 毕业 honors: 优异,优秀
还以优异成绩毕业。
And I never thought I'd get a job at a real newspaper, but I did.
我从没想过我能在一家真正的报社找到工作,但我找到了。
And I certainly never thought I'd get a girl...
我当然也从没想过我能娶到一个,
like Jenny Havens to marry me, but I did.
像Jenny Havens这样的女孩,但我也做到了。
-Jenny: So?
怎样?
-John: They've already got a guy on the metro desk.
metro: 主城区,市区的
他们的都市版已经有人了。
-Jenny: I'm sorry, honey.
很遗憾,亲爱的。
-John: Mmm. So they're putting me on a little thing...
嗯,所以他们让我去另一个叫,
they like to call Desert Storm.
叫Desert Storm的栏目。
-Jenny: You got the job?
你拿到这个工作了?
-John: I got the job.
我拿到这个工作了。
-Jenny: You got the job, baby! Ooh!
你找到工作了,亲爱的!噢!
John Grogan, I knew it!
John Grogan,我就知道的!
I just knew it! Okay, Look.
我就知道!来,你看。
Watch this. Look. See what happens?
happen: 发生
瞧瞧这个。
Job. Done.
找工作。搞定。
-John: Okay, so what's next? Lunch?
好吧。下一步是干什么?吃午饭?
-Jenny: House.
回家。
-John: House.
回家。
-Jenny: House.
回家。
-Radio reporter: … Planes that can transmit remote television pictures...
transmit: 传输,转送,传达 remote: 远程的
能远程传送Iraqi船艘和……
Of Iraqi ships and other targets.
target: 目标
和其他目标的图片的飞机。
-John: Did you get to the quote about the speed bumps yet?
quote: 引用,举证,例子 speed bump: 减速带
你看到那个减速带的新闻了么?
-Jenny: If they save even one life,
即使他们只营救了一个人,
-John: ... it would be worth it.
worth: 值得的
也是值得的。
And with that, Jan Dickerson's eyes filled with tears.
fill with: 充满
所以Jan Dickerson热泪盈眶。
-Jenny: Filled with tears.
热泪盈眶。
-John: You like that?
你喜欢吗?
Or is it too corny?
corny: 平淡无奇的,乡巴佬的
会不会太陈腔滥调?
-Jenny: Yeah. No.
不会啊。
-John: Is it a little over the top?
会不会太过了?
-Jenny: Hey, honey, what happened to the, uh the Desert Storm piece?
亲爱的,那篇有关Desert Storm的文章怎么样了?
-John: That's it. The injured girl's dead in Kuwait.
injured: 受伤的
没什么。那个受伤的女孩死在Kuwait了。
Is that not in there?
在文章里没提到么?
-Jenny: Uh-uh. I think they cut that.
没有。我想他们删掉了。
They spelled your name wrong.
spell: 拼写
而且写错了你的名字。
John Gorgon.
John Gorgon。
-John: You're kidding. Let me see that.
不是吧。让我看看。
-Jenny: Forget it.
算了,没事。
-John: Are you joking?
你在开玩笑么?
-Jenny: Forget it. You know what? It's good. It's really good.
没事。知道吗?我觉得这篇文章写的很好,真的。
It's got the facts. It's got color.
陈述了事实,润色了文章。
It's a really solid piece.
真的是一篇好文章。
-John: Thanks.
谢谢。
Well, I mean, I tried to breathe some life into it, you know…
breathe: 吸收,吸进
我总让文章更加栩栩如生。你知道的。
-Jenny: Yes.
是啊。
-John: I like this article. I'm almost done with yours.
article: 文章
我喜欢这文章,我快看完你的文章了。
This idea of voting machines sounds really efficient.
vote: 投票,选举 efficient: 效率高的
你关于投票器的想法很有用呢。
-Jenny: Well, when you get to the next page, you'll see...
你翻到下一版你会看到……
that I talk about what could happen.
我在讨论可能发生的事情。
-John: Hey, it, okay. I see.
啊,我看到了。
It continues.
continue: 继续 .
未完待续。
-Jenny: Yeah
没错。
But actually, the rest of it...
actually: 实际上,事实上
不过剩下的那些……
is really just okay.
只不过一般般而已。
It's actually kind of boring.
还有点无聊。
-John: No, no. I-It's…
不,不会。
I'm enjoying this.
我很喜欢。
-Jenny: Mmm.
嗯。
-John: Wow. They really gave you a lot of space.
哇!他们给你很多版面呢。
-Jenny: Oh, damn. Killed another one.
该死的!又死了。
How am I ever supposed to take care of a kid,
如果我连一棵植物也养不活,
if I can't even keep a plant alive?
plant: 植物
我还怎么带孩子啊?
-Sebastian: Well, what'd you expect, man?
expect: 期望,期待
哥们,还有什么可想的?
You bought a house. A house with a spare room.
spare: 闲置的,空闲的
你买了房子,一个有空房间的房子。
-John: What's the matter with a spare room?
有空房间又怎么了?
-Sebastian: It's empty, John, that's what's wrong with it.
它是空的。这就是问题。
You know what else is empty?
你知道还有什么是空的吗?
Her womb.
womb: 子宫
她的子宫。
-John: I'm just worried that Jenny's at, like, step seven.
我就是担心Jenny在执行,她计划中的步骤七。
-Sebastian: What?
什么?
-John: She's got her whole life organized and planned out...
organized: 组织好的 plan out: 计划出
她把她的一生都计划好了,
according to these steps.
according to: 根据
还分了很多步骤。
-Sebastian: Okay, that's scary.
scary: 惊恐的,骇人的
哇,这还挺恐怖的。
Unbelievable. You want my advice? Get her, like, a bird.
unbelievable: 难以置信的 advice: 建议
不可想象。要我的建议吗?比如送她一只鸟。
Or a puppy or something.
或者是小狗什么的。
-John: A parakeet or something?
parakeet: 马尾鹦鹉
一只马尾鹦鹉?
-Sebastian: Something other than you that she has to take care of.
take care of: 照顾
让她照顾除了你之外的东西。
You got a kid, you're a dad. You're not you anymore.
如果你有孩子了。你就是父亲,而不是一个男人。
You got a dog, you're a master.
master: 主人,大师
如果有狗,你就是主人。
-John: Master.
主人。
-John: You're still a guy.
还是男人。
Still got a life.
还有你自己的生活。
-Sebastian: Exactly.
exactly: 完全地,恰好地,正是
没错。
-John: And a dog.
一只狗。
-Sebastian: Yeah, but you've stopped her clock for a few years.
这样,你就可以让她的计划停止几年。
-John: I've never had a dog.
我从来没有养过狗呢。
-Sebastian: There's nothing to it. You feed them.
feed: 喂养
那没什么,只要喂他就行了。
You walk them. You let them out every now and again.
带他去散步,让他每天出去玩。
But it doesn't really matter.
而且这些也没什么。
You're not the one that's gonna take care of it, Jenny is.
又不是你照顾他,而是Jenny。
-Arnie: Sebastian!
Sebastian!
-Sebastian: Yo.
是。
-Arnie: Your travel's been approved. Hit the road.
approve: 赞同,证实,批准
你的出差申请被批准了,出发吧!
-John: Where you going?
你要去哪儿?
-Sebastian: I'm going to Colombia.
准备去Colombia。
I got a guy down there says he can put me next to Pablo Escobar.
那有个人说他可以介绍Pablo Escobar给我。
I'm doing a piece…
我正在写一篇文章。
I follow a single coca leaf from the jungle,
single: 单独的 jungle: 丛林的,蛮荒的
从一片在垃圾堆里的古柯叶,
to the streets of Miami.
一直写到Miami的街道。
-John: That sounds like a good idea. You gotta be careful down there.
听起来不错。你过去那里要小心点。
-Arnie: Gorman!
Gorman。
-John: G-Grogan.
Grogan。
-Arnie: Groden. There's a fire in the county dump. Methane leak.
dump: 垃圾场,倾泻 methane: 甲烷,天然气 leak: 泄漏
Groden,县里发生了一场因天然气泄露引起的大火。
-John: Methane?
天然气?
-Arnie: Yeah. I want two paragraphs for the Blotter.
paragraph: 段落 blotter: 记事簿,记录
没错。我需要两段文字。
-John: Methane. Woodward and Bernstein, eat your heart out.
Woodward and Bernstein: 水门事件,美国政治丑闻
天然气。又不是水门事件,有什么好奇怪的。
What kind of dog?
那要哪种狗呢?
-Sebastian: You remember Caroline?
你记得Caroline吗?
-John: The nurse?
那个护士?
-Sebastian: She was a nursery school teacher. I don't know.
nursery: 托儿所
她是护士学校的老师。我也不知道。
Anyway, she had this great dog Daisy.
反正她有一只很好的狗叫Daisy。
It was a Labradoodle.
他是一只Labradoodle猎犬。
-John: Labradoodle? You mean a Labrador.
Labradoodle猎犬?你是在说Labrador吧。
-Sebastian: All right. Get her a Labrador.
对,给她一只Labrador猎犬吧。
Supposed to be just like kids, only easier to train.
train: 训练,培养
就跟小孩一样,只不过更听话点。
-John: Labradoodle? Come on.
Labradoodle?算了吧。
-Jenny: This does not smell like an IHOP.
这闻上去可不像是IHOP餐厅。
-John: I know. We got a little surprise first.
我知道。先来点惊喜。
Here we go. Now, I want you to walk right here, my dear.
来,亲爱的,走过来这里。
-Jenny: Okay.
好的。
-John: Come on.
来。
-Jenny: Oh, God. Okay.
天哪!好吧。
-Dog seller: You Grogan?
是Grogan么?
-John: Yes.
是的。
-Dog seller: Expected you an hour ago.
expect: 期待
等你一个小时了。
-John: You're gonna like this.
你会喜欢的。
Okay, step up. Sorry.
提起脚来。
-Dog seller: Sorry about the mess.
mess: 乱七八糟
我这里太乱了,真不好意思。
And the noise and the smell.
还有噪音和臭味。
-Jenny: What's happening?
我们在干什么?
Come on.
快点。
Can I look?
我可以看了么?
-John: No, no. Just-Almost. Almost.
不行。快了,快了。
Okay. Okay. Ready?
好了,准备好了么?
-Jenny: Really?
真的么?
-John: One, two, three. Go. Happy birthday.
1,2,3,来,生日快乐!
-Jenny: What?
什么?
God, they're adorable.
adorable: 可爱的
天哪,他们太可爱了!
Oh, my-my birthday's not for a month.
但是我的生日要一个月以后呢。
-Dog seller: That's okay. They can't leave for three weeks anyway.
那没关系,他们也要3个星期后才能离开。
-Jenny: We didn't discuss this.
discuss: 讨论
我们从来没有讨论过这事。
-John: I know, but it's a surprise. You can't.
是的,但是它是一个惊喜,哪能讨论呢。
-Jenny: Hi, guys.
嘿。
-Dog seller: Just adopted the mom last month.
adopt: 收养,领养
上个月才收养了他们的母亲。
Family that gave her up didn't even know she was pregnant.
pregnant: 怀孕的
抛弃他的家庭都不知道她已经怀孕了。
-Jenny: Are you sure we're ready for this?
你确定我们准备好了?
-Dog seller: Well, like I told you...
就像我之前说的,
you gotta wait three weeks for them to be weaned,
wean: 断奶
你还要等3个星期,
before you can bring them home.
才能带他们回家。
-Jenny: I'm not even gonna be here.
我那个时候都不会在家里。
-John: Why?
为什么?
-Jenny: I'll be in Gainesville, covering that trial.
cover: 报道 trail: 审讯,审判
我会在Gainesville调查审讯。
-John: Oh, that's right.
噢,是这样。
That's okay. It'll give me a chance to bond with him...
chance: 机会 bond with: 建立亲密关系
那也没事的。这样我和他也有机会建立感情。
and get a head start on training them.
还可以提早开始训练他。
-Jenny: That's true.
也行。
-John: Get them squared away before you get home.
square away: 规整,办妥
在你回家之前,让他摆好迎接的姿势。
-Jenny: That's true.
没错。
Well, how are we gonna pick one?
pick: 挑选
那我们怎么选呢?
-Dog seller: Girls are 300.
母狗是300元。
Boys are 275.
公狗是275元。
Except for that little guy there. Him you could have for 200 even.
除了那个小家伙,你只需要给200元就好。
-Jenny: This one? You're so sweet. You're like a little clearance puppy.
clearance: 清仓,净空
这个?你太可爱了。是只清仓大甩卖的小狗啊。
Hello, puppy.
嗨,小狗。
-John: This one likes you.
这只狗喜欢你。
Clearance Puppy likes you.
小剩狗喜欢你呢。
-Dog seller: Well, that's your guy.
那它就是你的小狗了。
-Jenny: Aw.
噢。
I was gonna pick you anyway.
anyway: 无论如何,反正
我反正也是要选你的。
Don't tell anybody. Don't tell the others.
不要告诉任何人喔,不要告诉其他狗。
-John: We gotta double-time it just a little here, honey.
亲爱的,我们得快点了。
-Jenny: Really wish I didn't have to go.
我真的不希望走。
-John: Are you kidding me?
你在和我开玩笑吗?
It's gonna be great. You spent eight months on this trial.
trail: 审讯
这次旅行会很精彩的。你用8个月来跟踪这次审讯。
Honestly, I'm jealous.
honestly: 坦率地,公正地 jealous: 妒忌的,羡慕的
老实说,我很嫉妒。
-Jenny: Really?
真的么?
Tax evasion? That's what makes you jealous?
tax evasion: 逃税 evasion: 逃避
逃税?是它让你妒忌?
-John: Well, it's sexier than speed bumps.
speed bump: 减速带
嗯,他起码比减速带好。
-Jenny: Okay, you call me the minute you get him home.
好了,带狗回家的时候记得打给我。
-John: Okay. Okay.
没问题。
-Jenny: We also have to come up with a name for him.
come up with: 想出,提出
我们也要给他想一个名字。
-John: Yes. Let's brainstorm it.
brainstorm: 头脑风暴,动脑筋,出主意
好,那我们得绞尽脑汁想想。
I'll just call him Clearance Puppy till you get back.
clearance: 清仓,净空
我会一直叫他小剩狗直到你回到家为止。
-Jenny: Are you gonna be okay?
你可以吗?
-John: You're worried about me with a puppy?
你在担心我和小狗吗?
-Jenny: I am.
没错。
-John: Me, John Frigging Grogan?
我?John Frigging Grogan?
-Jenny: I know.
好吧。
-John: Good-bye. I love you. You look pretty.
拜拜,我爱你,你看起来不错。
-Jenny: Thank you. I love you. Bye.
谢谢,我也爱你,拜拜。
-John: Okay. Bye.
好了,拜拜。
How you doing there, buddy?
哥们,怎么样啊?
Kind of a big day for you.
对于你来说是个大日子呢。
Let's listen to the radio.
radio: 收音机
让我们听听收音机吧。
Awkward silences.
awkward: 令人尴尬的,难堪的
奇怪的沉默。
“One love”
“爱情”
-John: You like that? You like Bob Marley?
你喜欢这首歌?你喜欢Bob Marley?
“Let's get together and”
“让我们聚在一起”
-John: Bob. That be a good name?
Bob这名字可以吗?
“Feel all right”
“感觉不错”
-John: Bob. Bob.
Bob,Bob。
Come here, Bob. Or Robert?
过来,Bob。又或者是Robert?
When you got older. More dignified.
dignified: 有威严的
当你长大之后更有尊严。
“The children crying”
“孩子们在哭泣”
-John: Marley?
Marley?
“Saying give thanks and praise”
“表达着谢意和赞美”
-John: You like that.
你喜欢这名字。
That has a nice ring to it.
这个名字好像是不错。
“Feel all right”
“感觉不错”
-John: Okay. Whoa.
好吧。
It's better if you ride shotgun.
shotgun: 猎枪
你还是坐在副驾驶座比较好。
Because we don't wanna have a car crash.
crash: 冲撞
因为我可不想出车祸。
“And feel all right”
“感觉不错”
-John: our first real day together.
我们第一天在一起。
“Let them all pass all their”
“让他们说他们的”
“Dirty remarks”
remark: 评论,备注
“闲言闲语”
-John: Okay, come here. Come here.
好吧,过来,过来。
“There is one question”
“只有一个问题”
-John: It's a big day. You can ride over here.
今天是个好日子,所以你可以坐在这里。
Maybe it's okay today. Just this one time.
今天可以坐在这里,只有这一次。
We get pulled over, we explain…
pull over: 靠向路边
我们把车驶到路边,解释一下。
We explain what the circumstances are.
circumstance: 环境,状况
解释现在是什么情况。
“To save his own beliefs”
“拯救他自己的信仰”
“One love”
“爱情”
-John: What happened?
怎么了?
-Neighbour1: The Millers got robbed.
get robbed: 遭劫,被抢劫
Miller家被抢劫了。
-John: Again? Good thing I got a watchdog.
watchdog:看门狗
又被抢了?幸好我有一只看门狗。
-Lisa: Hey, buddy. He's got some teeth.
嘿,他长牙齿了。
-John: Oh, yeah.
没错。
I'll get him some water.
我给他弄点水去。
-Neighbor1: You're not gonna keep him in the backyard, are you?
backyard: 后院
你不会把他放在后花园里,是吧?
-John: I'm gonna keep him in the garage till I get him house trained.
garage: 车库
我会把他放在车库直到他训练有素。
-Lisa: Hmm.
嗯。
-John: No, Marley, Marley, Marley. No, no.
不要,Marley,不可以。
No, no, no, no.
不可以,不可以!
You've had enough food, Marley. You've had two bowls of kibble.
bowl: 饭碗
你吃得够多了,Marley,你已经吃了两碗狗食了。
You had half a seat belt in the car.
seat belt: 安全带
在车里你吃了一半安全带。
Huh. H-How are you still eating?
喂,你怎么还在吃?
I don't understand where you can put it.
put: 承受
真不知道你肚子怎么没撑爆。
Here's the little box where Marley's gonna bunk down.
bunk down: 卧,睡
这里是Marley睡的小盒子。
Pretty cozy.
cozy: 舒适的,舒服的
挺舒适的。
All right. Good night.
好了,晚安。
You're gonna be okay.
你会没事儿的。
I'm just right inside.
我就在里面而已。
Sleep tight.
好好睡。
All right.
好了。
Come on, Marley.
来吧,Marley。
You're killing me, you know that?
你快折磨死我了,你知道么?
Oh, we got some cleaning up to do before the missus gets back.
missus: 已婚的夫人
我们要在夫人回来之前打扫一下卫生。
All right.
好了。
I'm off to the airport...
我要去机场。
And you're gonna ride out the rain right in your little box.
ride out: 安然度过,经受得住
你会在盒子里安然度过这场雨。
It's just a little thunder. Back in a flash.
thunder: 雷雨 in a flash: 眨眼间,一瞬
就是一点闪电而已,马上回来。
Get in. Here.
进来。
-Jenny: Oh, my God!
我的天啊!
Hi. How are you?
嘿,你怎么样?
-John: How are you?
你怎么样?
-Jenny: How's my puppy?
我的小狗怎么样了?
-John: I'm okay.
还不错。
A little tired, but trying to stay dry.
有点累,不过不会淋到雨的。
-Jenny: No, really. How is he?
真的,他怎么样?
-John: Waiting for you.
等着你呢。
-Jenny: Do you hear that? Is that I think that's Marley.
你听到了么? 我想他是Marley。
Oh, my God.
我的天哪!
Oh, my God. Look at this!
天!看看这车库。
-John: This is not how I left it.
我离开的时候不是这样的。
-Jenny: How long did you leave him?
你离开他多久了?
-John: I left him for maybe an hour.
可能一个小时。
Tops. Did he eat the drywall?
drywall: 灰板内墙
天,他吃了那堵墙?
Oh, that's not right.
噢,那可不对。
-Jenny: Wow.
哇!
That's one little dog did that.
那是这只小狗干的啊。
Oh, honey, you're shaking.
shake: 发抖
亲爱的,你在颤抖呢。
Does thunder scare you, mister?
小先生,闪电吓着你了?
Oh, ho. Sweet boy.
喔,小可爱。
Oh, look at us.
看看我们这样。
-Sebastian: So I'm in this cave and I can feel the machine guns.
machine gun: 机关枪
然后我就在山洞里面,我可以感觉到那些机关枪。
There's, like, nine of them around me.
就像是有9支机关枪在我的周围。
-John: What, like AK-47 s?
像AK-47?
-Sebastian: Kalashnikov.
kalashnikov冲锋枪。
And then Escobar comes in and says,
然后Escobar走进来说,
-John: Escobar?
Escobar?
-Sebastian: El Padrino-Yeah. He says, "I read your piece on Gadhafi...
呃,是Padrino,是的。他说:“我看过你关于Gadhafi的文章,
and I think you captured his narcissism perfectly."
capture: 抓取,抓住 narcissism: 自恋,自我陶醉
我觉得你完全描绘出了他的自恋”。
Can you believe that?
你相信么?
-John: Some of it.
不全信。
-Sebastian: Man, I wish you could have been there.
哥们,我真的希望你可以在那里。
-John: But then who's gonna cover the power struggle.
cover: 报道 struggle: 竞争,奋斗
那谁去报道在Delray的,
Down at the Rotary Club in Delray?
Rotary国际俱乐部里的权力斗争呢?
Oh, it's been just crazy.
噢,那太疯狂了。
-Sebastian: Your time will come, amigo.
amigo: 朋友
你的时代会到来的,朋友。
-John: I'll drink to that.
我会举杯庆祝的。
-Shannon: That was crazy.
那太疯狂了。
Oh, my God.
天哪。
-Viviana: Oh, my God!
天!
-Shannon: That is the cutest thing I've ever seen.
那是我看到的最可爱的小狗了!
-Viviana: Hey.
嘿!
-John: Say hello, Marley.
快说你好,Marley。
-Shannon: Hey, little Marley.
嘿,小Marley。
Can I hold him?
我可以抱他么?
-John: Of course. Here you go.
当然,给。
-Viviana: He's so cute.
他太可爱了!
-Shannon: Oh, I love their puppy breath.
breath: 气息
我喜欢他的小狗味道。
-John: Oh. Have you guys met my buddy Sebastian?
这是我的哥们Sebastian。
-Viviana: Sebastian. Viviana. Nice to meet you.
Sebastian,Viviana,很高兴认识你。
-Shannon: Hi. I'm Shannon.
嗨,我是Shannon。
-Sebastian: Hey, he's a beauty, isn't he?
嘿,他很帅,对吧?
-Shannon: He's adorable.
adorable: 可爱的
他很可爱。
-John: I think the "puppy instead of a baby" idea is working.
instead of: 替代,而不是
我觉得“要狗不要宝贝”这主意挺好的。
-Sebastian: Yeah, it's certainly working for me.
对,对我来说挺有用的。
-Shannon: Can I take him home with me?
我可以带它到处转转吗?
-Viviana: You're so cute. Yes, you are.
你太可爱了,真的是太可爱了!
-John: I can't let you have the puppy,
我不可以让你带走它。
but you might have a shot with the big dog.
不过你可以尝试一下这大狗。
-Sebastian: I'm easy.
我很随和的。
-Shannon: Oh, you're easy.
噢,你是很随和。
-Sebastian: And I do tricks. I'm paper trained.
trick: 诡计,恶作剧
而且我懂很多事,是训练有素的。
-John: Marley! Marley!
Marley,Marley!
Come back, puppy.
回来,小狗。
Marley! Marley!
Marley ,Marley!
Marley. Marley!
Marley ,Marley!
-Viviana: Puppy!
小狗!
-John: Got him. Thanks.
抓到他了,谢谢。
-Beach guy: You have got to be more careful, man.
兄弟,你需要更小心一点。
-John: It's our first week together, so we're still working out the kinks.
kink: 瓶颈,扭结
这是我们在一起的第一个星期,还在磨合期。
-Beach guy: You really shouldn't bring a dog, down to the dog beach until he's trained.
train: 训练,培养
在一条狗听话之前,你真不应该,把他带到允许狗进入的沙滩上。
-John: Okay, can I get the dog back?
好的,我可以要回我的狗了么?
-Beach guy: Never let him off leash unless you have complete confidence.
leash: 系狗的皮带,狗链子 complete: 完全的 confidence: 自信,信心
除非你有充足信心,否则不要松开他的狗链。
-John: Okay.
好吧。
-Beach guy: This is the only beach in two counties...
这是两个县里唯一一个,
where dogs aren't banned.
可以带狗来的沙滩。
-John: All right.
好的。
-Beach guy: Cops see anybody peeing or pooping down by the water,
cop: 警察
警察只要看到狗在撒尿或是在海里跑,
they'll shut us down.
shut down: 关闭
他们会立即关闭沙滩。
Why is that funny to you?
你为什么觉得好笑?
-Sebastian: I'm just very immature.
immature: 不成熟的
我只是还没有成熟。
-Beach guy: Calvin!
Calvin!
-John: See? Aren't you glad you're not Calvin?
看到没?你应该庆幸你不是Calvin。
See how easy you got it?
明白了吧现在?
-Jenny: Marley, stop!
Marley,停下来。
Marley. Marley.
Marley,Marley。
Honey, the dog's got my…
亲爱的,狗狗拿走了我的……
-John: Marley, no.
Marley,不要。
Marley, you can't go through a screen door.
go through: 通过 screen door: 纱门
Marley,你走不过一扇玻璃门的。
“We're rocking the suburbs.”
“我们在郊外踏青”
“Around the block just one more time”
“只在大楼旁边停留一次”
“We're rocking the suburbs”
“我们在郊外踏青”
“We part the shades and face some facts”
“我们拨开云雾面对现实”
-Jenny: Happy Thanksgiving.
感恩节快乐!
-Neighbor2: You too.
你也是。
“They got better looking fescue”
fescue: 教鞭,牛毛草
“他们有更好的教鞭”
-Jenny: Marley!
Marley!
-John: It just seems like that there's other guys.
外面似乎还有其他人。
Like, I don't understand why you thought of me.
我不知道你为什么想到了我。
-Arnie: I'm in a bind.
in a bind: 限于困境
我很困扰。
-John: Yeah, but I'm a reporter. I'm not a columnist.
reporter: 记者 columnist: 专栏作家
我知道,但是我是记者,不是专栏作家。
-Arnie: John, you get better pay...
John你会有更高的工资。
you can pick your own hours and choose your own topics.
pick: 选择 topic: 主题
你可以自由选择工作时间以及报道话题。
Why are you hesitating?
hesitate: 犹豫
为什么你还要犹豫?
-John: No, I'm thinking.
不,我只是在思考。
-Arnie: No, you're hesitating.
不是,你在犹豫。
I'm offering you a promotion, and you're hesitating.
promotion: 提升,升职
我让你升职,但是你却在犹豫。
-John: I never saw myself as a columnist.
我从来没想过自己会成为专栏作家。
-Arnie: Well, think of it as one of those times when you surprise yourself.
那就想想你之前是如何让自己都大吃一惊的。
-John: Okay.
好吧。
-Arnie: John, it's only a couple of times a week...
a couple of: 几个,几次
John,一个星期只有几次,
till I get a replacement for Jerry.
replacement: 代替,取代
直到我找到人接替Jerry。
Then you can go back to doing whatever the hell it was you were doing.
go back: 返回
然后你就回到原位,继续做你之前的工作。
What were you doing?
你之前的工作是什么?
-John: Obituaries, methane leaks.
obituary: 讣告 methane leak: 天然气泄漏
讣闻,天然气泄漏。
-Arnie: Are you okay with this?
你应付的来这些吗?
-John: Yes.
可以。
-Arnie: You don't seem very thrilled.
thrilled: 激动的
你好像并不激动。
-John: No, it's a promotion.
promotion: 提升,升职
不,这可是一次升职。
-Arnie: We could take away the raise in pay if you like.
take away: 取消,拿走 raise: 提高
如果你喜欢,我们可以取消工资的提高。
-John: No, no. I'm-Thank you.
不,不要,谢谢你。
-Arnie: All right. Now you're talking. Go on. Get to work.
好吧,现在才是正常的答复。走吧,去工作吧。
-Jenny: Oh! Marley. I think he dislocated my shoulder.
dislocate: 脱臼
噢,Marley!他都快让我的肩膀脱臼了。
God. He doesn't even heel.
天,他甚至从来不跟着走的。
He doesn't walk. He just sprints.
sprint: 短跑
他不走路的,他只是疾跑。
Marley God.
Marley,天啊!
Marley, stop.
Marley,停下来。
I had to pull him off three dogs today.
pull off: 拉下
今天我不得不把他从三只狗身上拉下来。
-John: Poodles?
poodle: 狮子狗
狮子狗?
-Jenny: Among others.
还有其他狗呢。
-John: I say we give him away to a farm.
我在想把他送去农场。
Isn't that usually what you do with dogs that are out of control?
out of control: 失去控制
那不是通常对付狗不乖的做法吗?
-Jenny: Well, usually you Usually you train them.
通常,通常是你训练他们。
-John :Or you train them. Come on. Down. Go on.
又或者是你训练他。来,下去,走。
-Jenny: What are you doing?
你在做什么?
-John: Arnie gave me a column.
column: 专栏
Arnie给我一个专栏。
-Jenny: Are you kidding? Baby, that's great.
真的吗?亲爱的,那太棒了!
-John: Oh, yeah. It's a big honor.
噢,是的,这是很高的荣誉。
I get to write about zoning laws...
我打算写一篇关于地区法的文章……
and give my opinion on yard sales.
yard sale: 旧货拍卖
然后谈谈家庭旧货拍卖。
-Jenny: Whoa. Down, boy. Easy with the enthusiasm.
enthusiasm: 激情,热情
哇,冷静点,孩子,不要太激动。
-John: Well, no, it's just, I don't even read this crap, when other people write it.
crap: 废话,垃圾
嗯,只是我根本不看,其他人写的垃圾专栏。
Now I'm supposed to, you know, write two columns a week?
但现在我却要自己一个星期写两篇专栏文章?
-Jenny: And you got nothing for Tuesday.
但是你星期二没有任何工作。
-John: No. I got nothing for Tuesday.
对,我星期二没有任何工作。
-Jenny: I bet you're gonna think of something.
bet: 打赌
我猜你应该要想点什么。
-John: Now, see, this gives me a little inspiration,
inspiration: 灵感
现在,这个启发我一些灵感。
but it's not for a column.
不过不是关于专栏的,
It's more like…
而是……
Look at Marley. Now he's eating the floor.
瞧瞧Marley,他现在在吃地板。
-Jenny: Marley, stop.
Marley,停下来。
Marley, you're incorrigible.
incorrigible: 无可救药的,积习难改的
Marley,你无药可救了。
-Dog trainer: Incorrigible? I don't believe in that word.
无药可救?我可不相信这个词。
Every dog wants to learn.
就算是狗,也想学习。
Hey, come here, baby.
嘿,来这里,宝贝。
Yes, you're a good girl. You're a good girl.
没错,你是个乖孩子,你是个乖孩子。
Yes, you are.
没错,你是的。
'Course, they can't learn if their parents are weak-willed.
weak-willed: 意志薄弱的
如果他们的父母意志不坚定,他们当然学不了。
-John: Yeah. Well, I'm pretty strong-willed, but…
strong-willed: 意志坚定的
明白。不过,我还蛮意志坚定的,但是……
-Jenny: Marley!
Marley!
-John: Say hello to Marley.
和Marley问声好。
-Dog trainer: So which of you is gonna be the trainer?
trainer: 训练者
那你们哪个要成为训练者呢?
-Jenny: Well, we both thought we would,
唔,我们都觉得自己可以。
because we'd like him to listen to both of us at home.
因为我们都想他在家里能听从两个人的指挥。
-John: We're married too. Yeah.
我们也结婚了。
-Dog trainer: No, no, no, no.
不行,不行。
A dog can only have one master.
master: 主人
一只狗只能拥有一个主人。
Which one of you has the most natural authority in your own relationship?
authority: 权威
在你们的关系里,哪个人更有权威呢?
-John: Well, maybe I'll stand over there for the beginning.
可能我应该在开始的时候在那边站着。
-Dog trainer: I thought so. Shall we?
我也是这么觉得的。可以开始了么?
-Jenny: Geez!
天啊。
-Dog trainer: All right, sit.
好了,坐下。
-All: Sit. Sit.
坐下,坐下。
-Jenny: Sit. Marley.
坐下,Marley。
Okay. Marley, Marley, sit.
好了,Marley,坐下。
-Dog trainer: This, class, is a classic example of a dog...
classic: 典型的
这节课就是典型的一课……
who has foolishly been allowed to believe...
foolishly: 愚蠢地
一只自认为是狗群中的,
he is the alpha male of the pack...
alpha: 第一的
第一公狗。
and therefore, he can never be a happy animal.
therefore: 因此,所以
所以他永远也不会成为一只快乐的狗。
-John: Yeah. He looks pretty miserable.
miserable: 悲惨的
是啊,他看起来好悲惨啊。
-Dog trainer: You, joker, rotate in.
rotate: 轮换
你,爱开玩笑的人,进来。
And lose the sunglasses.
sunglass: 太阳镜
还有脱下你的太阳眼镜。
Dog likes to be looked at in the eye.
狗喜欢眼神对视。
-John: Jawohl.
拿着。
-Jenny: I got it.
我知道了。
-John: Okay.
好了。
-Jenny: Okay. You got him?
好了,你抓稳他了么?
-John: Yeah.
行了。
-Jenny: Okay.
好的。
-Dog trainer: So. Collar your dogs.
collar: 抓住,颈圈,在这作“带上颈圈”解
好,给你的狗戴上颈圈。
-Woman: Good boy.
乖狗。
-Dog trainer: All right, dogs on the left.
好,狗站在左边。
On the count of three.
数3声,
One, two, three. Let's go.
1,2,3,开始走。
Very nice. Very good.
很好,很好。
Good.
不错。
-John: Hey!
嘿!
-Dog trainer: Correct him!
correct: 纠正,改正
纠正他。
Whoa!
哇!
Rein in that dog.
rein: 控制,驾驭
拴住那只狗。
All right. All right, class.
好了,好了,同学们。
Come on. Let's line up again.
line up: 排队
来,再次排队。
Class, it's a simple question of having confidence... in your own authority.
confidence: 自信,信心 authority: 权威
同学们,这只是一个是否对你的权威,有自信的问题。
I shall now demonstrate a simple walk.
demonstrate: 展示
我现在会演示一次简单的走路。
All right?
好了吗?
Mr. Grogan?
Grogan先生?
-John: Sorry.
对不起。
-Dog trainer: May I?
我可以么?
All right, even an unruly dog...
unruly: 难以控制的,任性的
好了,就算是一只不听话的狗,
likes to obey his leader.
obey: 服从
也喜欢听从指挥。
Marley, heel.
Marley,跟着走。
Yeah.
没错。
Marley. Marley!
Marley,Marley!
Marley! Marley!
Marley,Marley!
Marley.
Marley!
-John: Careful. Marley, no!
小心,Marley,不要。
Marley!
Marley!
-Dog trainer: Aaah! That's it. He is out.
啊!结束了,他被开除了。
-John: Sorry. Usually he does this with poodles.
poodle: 狮子狗
真对不起,他通常只对狮子狗这样。
-Dog trainer: That dog is a bad influence on the others.
influence: 影响
这只狗对其他狗影响不好。
Now, leg humping is like a virus.
hump: 拱 virus: 病毒
抱别人腿的这种动作也像病毒似的。
Once it takes hold of the group. No.
一旦他传染了整个团队,绝对不行!
-John: Okay.
好吧。
-Dog trainer: He has got to go.
他必须走。
-John: It was maybe your hair.
可能是因为你的头发。
Reminded him of a poodle.
remind of: 使人想起,提醒
让他想起了狮子狗。
-Dog trainer: Never bring him back.
永远不要带他回来!
-John: Right from the beginning she had me in her sights.
在开始的时候她就监视着我。
-Jenny: I know. She really did.
我明白,她就是这样。
-John: Marley wouldn't take any of her crap.
crap: 垃圾,废话
Marley才不听她的那套鬼话。
That's why he got kicked out.
kick out: 开除,逐出
所以他被踢出来了。
You are now the world's worst dog.
你现在是世界上最坏的狗狗了。
You've been kicked out of obedience school.
obedience: 服从,顺从
你被训练学校踢出來了。
-Jenny: You know, there is something else that we could do.
你知道吗,我们也可以做其他事情。
-John: No, I know. We just, we get a…
嗯,我知道,我们只要……
No. No, no, no, no, no. I'm smiling, but I'm serious. No.
不不不,不要,虽然我在笑,但是我很认真。不要。
It's not gonna be so bad, buddy.
这没有这么差的,宝贝。
You'll see. Sex is overrated.
overrate: 高估
你会知道的,性被高估了。
Aw, I can't tell you that, because you know it's a lie.
lie: 谎言
噢,我不可以和你这么说,因为你知道这是谎言。
Poor son of a bitch.
可怜的狗。
Okay. You wanna come up? Yeah. That's the least I can do.
你想到前面来?好吧,这是我唯一可以做的。
-Jenny: Marley!
Marley!
-John: Get a little fresh air.
来吸点新鲜空气。
Oh, gosh. It's like he's walking the plank.
plank: 厚木板
噢,天呐,他就像在厚木板上走路一样。
I mean, that's what breaks my heart, is he's so happy.
我的意思是,他这么开心,我却是很伤心。
He doesn't know what's coming.
他不知道即将来临的是什么。
-Jenny: Honey, he's gonna be fine.
亲爱的,他会没事的。
Oh, no, no, no. That makes me nervous.
不要,不要,不要。这样让我紧张!
-John: He's okay.
他没事。
He's just getting a little air.
他只是吸收点新鲜空气而已。
It's like Of Mice and Men.
这就像《人鼠之间》。
No, Marley.
不要,Marley。
-Jenny: Oh, John, please.
噢,John,求你了。
Oh, my God.
噢,天哪!
-John: He's making a break for it.
他想要出去。
He's onto our evil plan.
be onto: 了解,掌握 evil: 邪恶的
他知道我们的邪恶计划了。
Pull over.
停在路边。
-Jenny: I can't stop here. I can't.
我不可以停在这里的,不行的。
-John: Honey, pull over.
亲爱的,停下来!
-Jenny: I'm trying to. There's a ton of traffic.
a ton of: 许多,很多
我知道,但这里太多汽车了。
-John: Pull over!
停车!
-Jenny: All right, all right. All right.
好吧,好吧,好吧。
Jesus.
天哪。
-John: I need a little help here.
我需要帮忙。
-Jenny: I know.
我知道。
-John: Hey, get a leash.
喂,拿狗链。
-Jenny: Shut up.
住嘴。
-John: He's losing his balls today. Cut him some slack.
slack: 松弛的
它今天要失去生育功能了,宽容它点。
-John: You got him? Careful. Careful.
你抓住他了没?小心点,小心点。
This is a rough draft, because I'd like to take another pass at it.
rough: 粗略的,大致的 draft: 草稿,手稿
这只是一篇草率的初稿,我还想再修改一次。
You know, the beginning, I think I might want…
你知道,刚开始,我想我可能……
I think we can maybe lose that,
我想我可能不应该这样。
because I think it gets a little bit "jokey."
jokey:玩笑的,滑稽的
因为我觉得里面有太多玩笑了。
I just reread it, and I didn't think it really worked at all. I'm sorry.
我刚才才读过一遍。然后我不觉得它是好文章,很抱歉。
I'm gonna go back and do the zoning piece.
我要回去,然后开始我那篇关于地区法律的文章。
-Arnie: Wait. Wait a minute.
等等,等一下。
What are you apologizing for? This stuff is hysterical.
apologize: 道歉 hysterical: 异常兴奋的
你在道歉什么?这篇文章很搞笑。
-John: Really?
真的吗?
-Arnie: I'm laughing my head off at this.
我笑到要肚子痛了。
The-The getting kicked out of obedience school...
kick out: 开除,逐出 obedience: 服从,顺从
被训练学校开除,
The humping, the great escape.
escape: 逃跑
抱教官的腿,那次精彩的逃跑,
That's really funny stuff. I'm laughing my ass off.
stuff: 材料,原料
这些真的很搞笑,我真的要笑到肚子痛了。
It's hysterical stuff.
hysterical: 异常兴奋的,歇斯底里的
文章很精彩。
Run it the way it is.
就这样吧。
-John: Thanks.
谢谢。
-Arnie: Listen. You know what makes it work?
听着,你知道为什么这篇文章好么?
What makes it work is that you put yourself into it. I like that.
那是因为你倾注了自己的感情,我喜欢。
-John: Good.
好的。
-Arnie: Look, I know you're a reporter and all...
reporter: 记者
听着,我知道你是一名记者,
But could you do a few more things like this?
但是你可以做比这些更多的事情么?
-John: Sure.
当然。
-Arnie: Great.
很好。
-John: Okay, great.
好的,行。
-Arnie: And tell your dog not to feel too bad.
还有告诉你的狗不要太伤心。
Sooner or later, we all lose our balls.
sooner or later: 迟早
迟早,我们都会失去生育功能的。
-John: Hey, good to know.
嗯,谢谢你告诉我。
Woke up to a kiss from Marley.
wake up: 醒来
早上被Marley舔醒。
Went for a walk that turned into a run.
去散步结果变成了赛跑。
Took an airboat ride.
airboat: 汽船,汽艇
乘汽艇,
Wrote a column about the death of the Everglades.
column: 专栏
写了一个关于Everglades之逝的专栏。
Planted an orange tree in the backyard.
backyard: 后院
写了在后院种橘子树,
Threw sticks for Marley in the park. Watched him swim in the bay.
和Marley在公园扔木棒,看他在湖里游泳。
Watched him steal some guy's Frisbee.
steal: 偷 Frisbee: 飞盘
看他抢别人的飞盘。
Bought a new Frisbee for the guy.
又给那人买了一个新飞盘。
Gave Marley a bath. Went to work with writers' block.
给Marley洗澡,和作家们一起上班。
Hoped for inspiration to strike. Nada.
inspiration: 灵感
希望灵感降临,未果。
Got a new shirt. Got a new keyboard.
keyboard: 键盘
买了新衬衫。买了新键盘。
Got the same old paycheck. Went wind surfing with Sebastian.
paycheck: 工资 surf: 冲浪
拿到和以前一样的工资,和Sebastian一起去冲浪。
Met his new girlfriend Sasha. Met his other new girlfriend Angie.
遇到他的新女友Sasha,遇到他另一个女友Angie。
Watched models posing in the surf.
看模特们在冲浪板上摆姿势。
Wrote a column about the growth of South Beach.
写了关于南海岸发展的专栏。
Interviewed Gloria and Emilio Estefan at the Cordozo Hotel.
interview: 采访,会谈
在Cordozo酒店采访了Gloria和Emilio Estefan。
Introduced them to Jenny, who gushed like a teenager.
introduce: 介绍
把他们介绍给脸红得像个小孩的Jenny。
Went shopping at the mall. Bought a Sharper Image pillow.
mall: 大商场 pillow: 枕头
去商场购物,买了一个枕头。
Slept like a baby. Caught Marley eating the pillow.
睡得像婴儿一样。发现Marley在吃枕头。
Hid the evidence from Jenny.
hid: hide的过去式,隐藏 evidence: 证据
把证据藏起来不让Jenny发现。
Cleaned up Marley's vomit in the kitchen.
vomit: 呕吐物
清理Marley在厨房的呕吐物。
Helped Jenny make dinner. Overcooked the spaghetti.
spaghetti: 意大利式面条,通心粉
帮Jenny做饭,把通心粉弄糊了。
Got into a food fight.
打了一场食物大战。
Proofread Jenny's column. Read Sebastian's latest opus.
proofread: 校对 opus: 著作
帮Jenny看她的专栏,读Sebastian的新作。
Went running with Marley to burn off frustration.
frustration: 沮丧,低落
为了发泄和Marley一起去跑步。
Didn't see him chew through the leash. Chased him 15 blocks.
chew through: 咬断 leash: 狗链子 chase: 追赶
没发现他咬断了狗链子,追了他15个街区。
Had to call Jenny for a ride.
不得不搭Jenny的车。
Wrote a column about gas prices. Wrote a column about water prices.
写了一个关于油价的专栏,关于水价的专栏。
Found one tiny orange on our tree. Jenny very pleased with herself.
在我们的树上找到一个小橘子,Jenny很开心。
Found my first gray hair. Found Jenny's first gray hair.
找到我的第一根灰白头发。找到Jenny的第一根。
Bought Jenny flowers.
给Jenny买花。
Rescued our new mailman from Marley. Rescued a U.P.S. Guy from Marley.
从Marley那里救下新的邮递员。救下快递员。
Invited my parents to visit.
邀请我的父母来玩。
Took them out to dinner at a cool place on South Beach.
带他们去南海岸的一家餐厅吃饭。
Got into a fight with Dad over the check.
fight with: 和……争斗 check: 支票
为了支票跟老爸吵了一架。
Got into a fight with Dad about money.
为了钱的问题跟爸吵了一架。
Got into a fight with Jenny about all the fighting.
为了吵架问题跟Jenny吵了一架。
Drove my parents to the airport.
送我父母去机场。
Listened to them complain about not having grandchildren.
complain: 抱怨
听他们抱怨抱不上孙子。
Tracked a hurricane heading for south Florida.
track: 跟踪 hurricane: 飓风
跟踪报道袭击南佛罗里达的飓风。
Hid in the bathroom during the hurricane.
飓风来临时躲在卫生间。
Sat in the dark for three days.
在黑暗中坐了三天。
Wrote a column about looters. Wrote a column about volunteers.
looter: 抢劫者 volunteer: 志愿者
写了关于抢劫者和志愿者的专栏。
Wrote a column about the beauty of air conditioning.
air conditioner: 空调
写了赞美空调的专栏。
Watched Marley dig for buried treasure.
treasure: 宝物,财富
看Marley挖掘埋藏的宝藏。
Spent Christmas with Jen's sister and her family in Orlando.
跟Jenny的姐姐一家在Orlando过圣诞。
Left Marley at their house to go to Disney World.
把Marley留在家,去了迪斯尼乐园。
Had to buy them new baby furniture.
furniture: 家具
不得不新买儿童家具。
Saw Jen light up around the little girls.
light up: 高兴,情绪高涨
看到Jen在一堆小女孩中很开心。
Got a flat driving home. Wrote a column about state troopers.
flat: 扁平的,爆胎 trooper: 骑兵
回家路上爆胎了,写了关于州里装甲兵的专栏。
Wrote a column about toll booths.
toll booth: 收费站
写了关于收费站的专栏。
Went to dinner to celebrate Jenny's raise.
celebrate: 庆祝
庆祝Jenny涨工资。
Tied Marley to the table.
把Marley栓在桌腿上。
Marley, come here!
Marley,来!
Chased Marley and the table. Caught the table.
追着Marley和那桌子跑,抓到了桌子。
Wrote a column about Marley pulling the table.
写了Marley拉桌子的专栏。
Tried to write a column about anything but Marley. Nada.
尝试写一篇没有Marley的专栏,未果。
Picked oranges from our tree. Made orange juice.
从我们的树上摘橘子,做橘子汁。
Drove down to Miami for Bark in the Park Night at the Marlins game.
从Miami开车到Bark去看球赛。
Brought Marley, who turned out to be a real baseball fan.
带着Marley去,后来发现他确实是个棒球迷。
Tried to stop him from chasing a foul ball in the stands.
chase: 追赶 stand: 站台
在站台上试图让他别追那个犯规的球。
Tried to stop him from chasing a foul ball on the field.
跑到场内阻止他追球。
Wrote a column about the ball game.
写了一篇关于这场球的专栏。
Took crap from Sebastian about it.
听了Sebastian关于这文章的鬼话。
Met his new girlfriend. Can't remember her name.
remember: 记得
遇到了他的新女友,我不记得名字了。
Went snorkeling with them. Cut my leg on a piece of coral.
snorkel: 潜航,潜水 coral: 珊瑚
跟他们潜水,腿被珊瑚划伤。
Went to the emergency room. Wrote a column about hospitals.
emergency: 紧急情况
去了急诊室。写了一片关于医院的专栏。
Went to an Easter egg hunt at Jenny's boss's house in Boca.
去Jenny上司在Boca的家里参加复活节寻彩蛋游戏。
Drank mimosas.
mimosas: 含羞草
喝含羞草汁。
Met a doctor who does three liposuctions a day.
liposuction: 脂肪抽吸术
遇到了一个每天能做三台抽脂手术的医生。
Wrote a column about nannies in Boca.
写了一篇关于Boca的保姆的专栏。
Wrote a column about the women of Boca.
写了一片关于Boca女性的专栏。
Wrote a column about writing columns.
写了一篇关于写专栏的专栏。
Came home to find Jenny dancing with Marley.
回到家发现Jenny在跟Marley跳舞。
Tried to think of reasons not to have a baby now. Nada.
试图找到不要孩子的理由。未果。
-Jenny: Why don't you just let him off the leash?
你怎么不把链子松开?
-John: Because although I love him, I don't trust him.
trust: 信任
因为我虽然爱他,但不信任他。
-Jenny: Honey, it's been two years. He's never had an accident.
accident: 事故
亲爱的,他都两年没出事故了。
-John: I know, 'cause I never let him off the leash.
我知道啊。那是因为我从不松开链子。
We're not gonna be the guys who get Dog Beach shut down, are we, Marley?
shut down: 关闭
我们不会是让小狗海岸倒闭的人。对吧,Marley?
Nope. Okay. So what's next?
不是。好吧,下一步是什么?
-Jenny: Um, ice cream?
呃,冰激凌?
-John: No. I mean on your list.
不是。我是说你的清单。
-Jenny: My list?
我的清单?
-John: Jen, the list…
是啊,你那个清单。
Your little play list that you had when we got married that had the game plan.
就是我们结婚的时候,你立下计划的那个单子。
It was basically my marching orders.
basically: 基本上
那基本是我的行动命令。
-Jenny: My plan?
我的计划?
-John: Your plan. I wanna know what's next. Scare me.
对,你的计划。我想知道下一步是什么。吓吓我吧。
-Jenny: You really wanna know?
你真的想知道?
-John: Hit me.
我承受能力很好。
-Jenny: Well, it's a toss-up between the new roof.
toss-up: 均等机会,同样可能
好吧。二选一,要么换个屋顶。
-John: Very practical.
practical: 实际的,实用的
很实际嘛。
-Jenny: And, uh and a baby.
或者要一个孩子。
-John: I could live with a few leaks.
leak: 漏洞
房顶有几个洞我倒无所谓。
-Jenny: Really?
真的?
-John: Yeah, a couple.
是啊。
-Jenny: But you know, a couple leaks turn into maybe one big leak...
但一些小洞可能会变成一个大的漏水开口。
And then that big leak becomes a very big responsibility.
responsibility: 责任
然后又回带来巨大的责任。
-John: That's true.
这倒不假。
-Jenny: We may want to think about fixing a lot of things... before we start.
我们可能得修的东西还不少。但在那之前。
-John: Well, honey, we already fixed Marley.
亲爱的,我们已经搞定了Marley。
If we fix too many more things,
如果我们要修太多东西的话,
then I think this conversation becomes moot.
conversation: 谈话,会话 moot: 无用的,未决的
我们这谈话就没意义了。
-Jenny: John, are you serious?
John,你是认真的?
-John: Yeah. Yeah, I think so.
是啊,我觉得是。
-Jenny: You realize we're not talking about an actual roof here.
realize: 意识到
你知道我们并不是在谈屋顶。
-John: Yes.
是的。
I got that. About halfway through I picked it up.
我知道。说到一半我就发现了。
Good metaphor though.
metaphor: 隐喻,暗喻
比喻不错。
-Jenny: And you're not just saying this because you think it'll lead to some funny columns?
你说这些不只是,为你那专栏提供素材吧?
-John: Honey, come on. I mean, if I get some funny columns...
亲爱的,得了吧。我是说,如果有好的专栏题材……
that's collateral damage I think we can live with.
collateral: 并行的,附属的
那倒也算是好的副产品吧。
I mean, I'm ready... if you are.
我是说,我准备好了,如果你也是的话。
-Jenny: Well, instead of trying to have a baby...
那,这样吧,我们别尝试要孩子。
why don't just stop trying not to have one?
我们干脆别避孕了,顺其自然吧。
-John: Okay, if I'm following you correctly and I think I am.
如果我理解对了的话。
-Jenny: Uh-huh.
嗯嗯。
-John: This is the part. We head back, we take it off, we get it on.
现在我们就能回家去干正事咯?
-Jenny: Yes, but you'll… It'll have a little more romance than that.
romance: 浪漫
嗯。但至少比这浪漫些吧。
-John: Yeah, we'll get some candles, some Sade of course.
candle: 蜡烛
嗯,我们点些蜡烛,放Sade的音乐。
-Jenny: Sade?
Sade?
Honey?
亲爱的?
-John: Yeah?
啊?
-Jenny: Did you have kibble today?
你今天吃粗粒食品啦?
-John: Marley, come on. Marley, go.
Marley,算了,Marley,走开。
-Jenny: Honey, he's a dog. He won't know what he's looking at.
亲爱的,他是狗狗而已。他不知道我们在干啥的。
No, no, trust me. He knows, and he resents the hell out of me.
resent: 怨恨,愤恨
才不呢。相信我,他知道的,他记恨我呢。
Go on, Marley. You have to go.
来吧,Marley,你得走了。
-Jenny: Oh, baby, please focus. Focus, honey.
focus: 集中注意力
亲爱的,你集中点注意力吧。
-John: Okay. All right.
好的,好吧。
-Jenny: Mm-hmm.
嗯嗯。
-Arnie: Good. Good. It's even better than the last one.
很好,很好,这比上篇还好了。
-John: Thank you.
谢谢。
-Arnie: You're very good, Grogan.
你是个好作家,Grogan。
I like that piece you did in Boca last week on the woman.
我也喜欢你上星期在Boca写的那片关于女人的。
What'd you call her?
你怎么叫她?
-John: "Boca-hanta."
Boca女。
-Arnie: Boca-hantas. Is that true she had her boobs done four times?
Boca女。她真的做了4次隆胸?
-John: That's what she said.
她是这么说的。
-Arnie: Hysterical. And is that true about you and your wife?
hysterical: 异常兴奋的,搞笑的
还好笑呃。你和你老婆的事是真的?
You're trying to have a kid?
你们在试着要孩子?
-John: Well, you know, we're not really trying...
其实也没有刻意的去尝试。
because we don't wanna
因为我们不想……
-Arnie: How does that work?
这怎么行?
-John: What do you mean?
你是什么意思啊?
-Arnie: Well, I mean, you having sex?
have sex: 发生性行为
呃,我是说你们做爱么?
-John: Yeah.
做啊。
-Arnie: Did you pull the goalie?
有保护措施么?
-John: Yeah.
没。
-Arnie: Then you're trying.
那你就在试嘛。
Congratulations. Good work.
congratulation: 祝贺
恭喜啦。干得好!
-Sebestrian: Not trying trying?
什么叫不是刻意得去尝试?
-John: Oh, yeah. 'Course, you'd know that if you ever read my column.
算了,你要是读了我的专栏你就明白了。
-Sebestrian: Hey, all due respect, but does anybody ever read your column?
respect: 尊重
嘿,我不想冒犯你,但真有人读你的专栏吗?
-John: Come on. I bring Marley out here to help you run your game...
得了吧。我带Marley来给你当帮手,
on these poor girls,
帮你吸引那些女孩的眼球。
and this is the thanks we get.
这就是你答谢我的方式?
-Sebestrian: How long you been at it?
你们试了多久了?
-John: A few months.
几个月吧。
-Sebestrian: What changed your mind?
change one’s mind: 改变主意
怎么改变主意啦?
-John: Well, here's the thing.
有一个问题。
I'm actually married to someone...
我跟一个我很在意的人,
and I care about what she wants.
结的婚,我很在意她想要什么。
-Sebestrian: Well, is it what you want?
这是你想要的吗?
-John: Yeah.
是啊。
-Sebestrian: I guess that answers my other question.
guess: 猜中
那我想我知道另一个问题的答案了。
-John: Yeah?
什么?
-Sebestrian: I'm about to do a piece on the growth...
我要给纽约时报写一篇,
of the domestic drug trade for the Times magazine.
domestic: 国内的 drug: 毒品
关于国内毒品交易增长的文章。
-John: You're freelancing for the New York Times?
freelance: 自由撰稿人
你现在是纽约时报的自由撰稿人啦?
-Sebestrian: Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah, but it's a big story.
是啊,但这可是篇大文章。
Too big for one guy and, uh, I was hoping you'd write it with me.
对一个人来说太大了。我本想让你和我一起写的。
-John: Are you kidding me?
你在开玩笑吧?
-Sebestrian: Be a chance for us to work together.
这是我们合作的机会。
-John: Yeah, I would love that.
我很喜欢这机会。
-Sebestrian: Of course, it will be a lot of work, a lot of travel.
是啊。但工作会很多,会不停地各地奔走。
-John: I would hope so.
我正希望这样。
-Sebestrian: Maybe not the best job for, uh, somebody with a kid on the way.
这工作可能不适合要做父亲的人吧。
-John: Well, that's not necessarily happening right this very second.
necessarily: 必须地 happen: 发生
我也不是此时此刻就要做爸爸嘛。
Let me talk it. There she is.
让我跟她说说。她打来了。
Honey, how are you?
亲爱的,你怎么样?
-Jenny: Hi.
嗨。
I'm just calling to let you know,
我只是想告诉你,
that there's a naked woman in your bed.
naked: 裸体的
你床上现在躺了一个裸女。
-John: Why don't the two of you get started,
那你们玩你们的吧,
and I'll be there as soon as I can?
我一会儿就回来。
-Jenny: Oh, very funny.
真搞笑。
But seriously, can you come home now?
说正经的,你现在能回家不?
-John: Hey. We're home.
嘿,我回家啦!
-Jenny: Hi.
嗨。
-John: You know the baby thing?
那个孩子的事情,
I've been thinking, maybe we should take a break.
take a break: 暂停
我一直再想,可能我们应该过段时间再试。
You know? Obviously it's not working, and maybe it's nature's way...
这显然没有结果,可能是上天告诉我们,
of saying now's not the right timing.
这不是正确的事情。
I mean, maybe it's a sign that we're not quite ready for this, that…
sign: 信号,征兆
我是说,这可能是在暗示,我们还没准备好。
I mean, have we really thought this?
我们真的想清楚了吗?
-Jenny: John.
John。
I'm pregnant.
pregnant: 怀孕的
我怀孕了。
-John: Great.
太好了!
-Jenny: Mm-hmm.
嗯嗯。
-John: Wow. Great. Really?
天啊,太好了,真的吗?
-Jenny: Yeah.
是啊。
-John: Yes.
是啊。
-Jenny: You were-You were just saying…
你刚刚说什么来着?
-John: No, don't worry. That was, like…
没什么,别担心,那只是……
It sounds so awkward now, like I just have this, like...
awkward: 难堪的,尴尬的
现在听上去会很奇怪啦。
very, you know, idiotic soliloquy that doesn't apply...
idiotic: 愚蠢的 soliloquy: 独白,自言自语
我刚刚只是在傻傻地自言自语。
and I'm really excited.
现在我真的很激动。
-Jenny: Do you want to start over?
你想重来一遍吗?
-John: I would love to.
那太好了。
That would be great. Can we?
那太好了。我们重来吧?
-Jenny: By all means.
by all means: 尽力,竭尽全力
尽力。
-John: Good.
好。
-Jenny: I'm pregnant.
我怀孕了。
-John: What? No!
什么?不是吧!
Yes!
太好啦!
-Arnie: Listen. Don't make the same mistake I did.
听着,别犯我当年犯的错。
-John: What?
什么?
-Arnie: There's gonna come a time very soon...
过不了多久,
where her ankles are gonna swell up.
ankle: 关节 swell up: 肿胀,膨胀
她的关节都会胀大。
-John: No, I'm ready for that.
我做好准备了啊。
-Arnie: She's gonna have blotches all over her face.
blotch: 斑点
她会变得满脸的雀斑。
-John: Yeah.
嗯。
-Arnie: She'll be 40 pounds overweight.
她会超重40磅。
She'll be throwing up all the time.
throw up: 呕吐
她会不停地呕吐。
John: I'm not ready for that.
这我可没准备好。
-Arnie: She's gonna look at you and she's gonna say...
她会看着你,然后说,
You bastard. You did this to me.
bastard: 私生子,在此意为坏蛋
‘你这个混蛋,都是你害的’。
-John: What-What happened to the glow? The-You know, the…
glow: 红光焕发
她不是会开心得容光焕发么?
-Arnie: There's no glow. Get her a gift.
才不会呢。给她买个礼物吧。
That'll dissipate some of the anger.
dissipate: 使……消散
那会打消一部分的怨气。
Uh, earrings, uh, bracelet.
bracelet: 手链
耳环啊手镯啊什么的。
-John: That's thoughtful. It's a good idea.
thoughtful: 周到的,体贴的
这很周到,是个好主意。
Maybe I'll get on it right now.
我这就去买吧。
-Arnie: There's a jewelry store on the corner.
jewelry: 珠宝
那不远处就有个珠宝店。
John: All right.
好的。
-Arnie: Mention my name.
mention: 提及,提到
告诉她是我的主意。
-Jenny: Oh, John.
噢,John。
It's just beautiful.
太漂亮了。
It's just... beautiful.
真的,太美了。
Honey, thank you.
亲爱的,谢谢。
John: You're welcome. I was just walking by this. Thinking of you…
不谢,我走在路上,想着你。
-Jenny: Yeah?
是吗?
-John: And I saw that in the window and I go...
然后我在橱窗里看到这个,我就想,
I'm getting this.
我得把它买下来。
-Jenny: That's so sweet.
这真的太贴心了。
-John: Yeah, well do you like it?
那么,你喜欢么?
-Jenny: I love it.
我太喜欢了。
-John: Yeah, well, put it on. Or let me put it on. I think its better luck.
put on: 戴上,穿上
那戴上吧。来,我帮你戴,我觉得这会带来好运的。
-Jenny: Where'd it go?
跑哪里去啦?
-John: What'd you do with it?
你刚刚放在哪里的?
You just set it down, I thought.
我觉得你就放在那里了啊。
-Jenny: I just had it.
刚刚还在。
-John: Did you drop it?
是不是掉下去了?
-Jenny: No, I put it right here.
没,我就放在这里的。
-John: It didn't just disappear.
disappear: 消失
不会就这么消失了吧。
-Jenny: Oh, God.
噢,天哪!
-John: Marley. No Marley, spit it out.
spit out: 吐出
Marley,不行。Marley,吐出来。
-Jenny: No, no.
不,不。
Go to the kitchen. Go to the kitchen.
去厨房,去厨房。
Marley, I have a treat.
treat: 招待
Marley,我给你东西吃。
Come here.
过来。
Stay. Marley, stay.
别动,Marley,别动。
Good boy. Yeah.
好孩子,对。
-John: Marley! Marley!
Marley!Marley!
Come here, Marley.
Marley,过来。
-Jenny: Geez.
天啊。
Marley, drop it.
Marley,放下他。
-John: Marley. Marley.
Marley!Marley!
-Jenny: Is it there? Oh, honey, I don't see it.
在吗?亲爱的,我看不到。
-John: Marley, you gotta lay off the mangoes.
lay off: 停止使用,放下 mango: 芒果
Marley,别再吃忙芒果了。
You know, years ago, when I imagined my life...
imagine: 想象
你知道吗,好多年前,我想象我未来的生活时,
somehow standing in the backyard...
somehow: 设法,不知怎么的 backyard: 后院
我可从来没想到过,会站在后院,
hosing down your crap,
hose down: 用喷水管冲洗
处理你的排泄物。
looking for my wife's swallowed, recycled...
swallow: 吞咽 recycle: 回收
去找我为了拍马屁送给老婆的那根,
ass-kissing gift never jumped to mind.
被你吞掉的项链。
Which shows you gotta dream big...
这就说明人的想象得放宽些,
Because Oh. Jackpot.
jackpot: 中头奖,十分成功
因为……啊,中奖了!
-Nurse: My, that's a lovely necklace. So shiny.
necklace: 项链 shiny: 闪闪发光的
啊,那真是根漂亮的项链,好亮啊!
-Jenny: Yes, it is.
是啊。
-Nurse: And how's that crazy dog of yours?
你家里那条疯狗怎么样了?
I read your columns every week.
我每周都读你的专栏呢。
-Jenny: Oh.
噢。
-John: Oh. So you're the one.
所以你就是那个读我专栏的人。
I think you'll get a kick out of next week's column.
kick out: 踢出,逐出
我想下星期的专栏你就不会读了。
-Nurse: The heartbeat’ll be very fast like a little train. That's normal.
heartbeat: 心跳 normal: 正常的
心跳会快得想小火车一样,这很正常。
-John: Is it is it too early to tell the sex?
现在能判断性别吗?
Not that I care.
虽然我也不是很在意。
Can be male, female. Whatever sex he wants.
女孩男孩我都喜欢。
Unambiguous genitalia...
unambiguous: 明确的 genitalia: 生殖器
只要不是双性人就行了。
if I had my druthers, but…
druther: 宁可,偏爱
我确实有偏好,但是……
-Nurse: Shh. Hang on.
嘘,等等。
Sometimes you can't hear it, depending on how the baby's lying.
depend on: 取决于
有时候能听出来,这取决于你孩子的胎位。
You're 10 weeks, right?
已经10周大了,是吧?
-Jenny: Monday I'll be 10 weeks.
星期一就十周了。
-Nurse: Hmm. Well, might be a little too early for that.
那可能还有点早。
Let's go right to the sonogram. Did you bring your blank tape?
sonogram: 透视图
我们我们先做超声波吧,你带空白带子来了吗?
-Jenny: Oh, yes.
带了的。
-John: Yes. Yes.
带了带了。
-Jenny: That's warm.
这很暖和。
-Nurse: Mm-hmm.
是啊。
Let's get a good picture for you first, huh?
我们来好好看看你的第一胎。
-Jenny: Okay.
好的。
-Nurse: It'll be right up on the monitor here.
monitor: 监控器
我把监控器移到这里来。
Excuse me. I'll be just a minute.
等等,我马上就回来。
-Doctor: Hey, guys.
嘿,你们好。
-Jenny: Hi.
嗨。
-Doctor: Let's take a look at your baby, shall we?
我们来看看你的孩子吧。
All right.
好。
-Jenny: Is there anything in there?
看到有东西了吗?
-Doctor: Not what you would expect to see at 10 weeks.
expect: 期望,期待
10周的话不应该是这样子的。
-Jenny: I'm not… I'm not quite 10 weeks.
我没……呃,还没满10周。
-John: At Monday it's still, I guess, nine weeks.
到星期一才满。现在,我猜,算九周。
-Jenny: Nine weeks.
九周。
-Doctor: There's no heartbeat, Jen.
找不到心跳,Jen。
I'm very, very sorry.
我真的非常抱歉。
These things…They happen sometimes. We don't know why.
这种事情有时会发生,我们也不清楚具体原因。
You're young. You have your health.
health: 健康
你们还年轻,还很健康。
Couple months, you guys can try again.
过几个月你们就能再试试看了。
I'm sorry. All right, I'm gonna…
我很抱歉,呃,我……
I'll leave you guys alone for a moment and we'll talk some more.
for a moment: 片刻,一会儿
我让你们俩单独待会,一会我们再谈。
I'm very sorry.
我真的很抱歉。
-John: Well, in a couple months we can try again, okay?
过几个月我们就能再试试了。
You want some tea?
你要喝茶吗?
You know what I was thinking that we, uh…
你知道我在想什么吗?
We still have those tickets from your parents...
我想我们还留着你父母送的,
for the honeymoon in Ireland.
honeymoon: 蜜月
去Ireland度蜜月的机票。
We could finally do that. Maybe take some time off.
我们可以去了,去休息休息。
Jenny?
Jenny。
-Debby: Oh, he's... big.
噢,它很大。
-John: Oh, yeah. He's a hundred pounds.
是啊,他有一百磅呢。
Now, he just wants to say hello here.
他只是想打个招呼。
-Jenny: Yeah. He loves people.
是的,他很喜欢人。
-John: Just be calm. You just stay still.
calm: 冷静的
冷静点,别动。
And you're a dog person, right?
你喜欢狗的,对吧?
-Debby: Actually, I'm…
其实,我……
-John: Ready? Here we go.
准备好了吗?他来了哦!
Go on, you can say hello.
去吧,去打个招呼。
No, no, don't let him do that. Sorry. Sorry.
别,别,别让他那样。对不起。
All you have to do is you just kneel him if he does that.
kneel: 跪下
他要是在那样你就让它跪下。
-Jenny: Don't worry about that. That shouldn't happen all the time.
别担心,这不会常常发生的。
Just when you walk through the door.
进门的时候才会。
But here, read this. This'll tell you everything you need to know.
这里,读读这个,你需要知道的一切这上面都有。
Just study that.
好好看看。
-John: I've got the bags here. Have you got everything?
包包我拿着了,你东西都拿了吗?
-Jenny: Thank you. Come on, honey.
谢谢你啦!来,亲爱的。
-John: Can you get that door?
你能开下门吗?
-Jenny: I got it.
好的。
-John: Okay. Here we are.
我们来了。
-Jenny: Honey, we're really late. .
亲爱的,我们要迟到了。
-Debby: Oh! Marley. Marley
噢,Marley,Marley!
-Jenny: Debby, welcome to our home.
Debby,欢迎来我们家。
Marley is a spirited dog who loves interaction.
spirited: 精力旺盛的 interaction: 互动,沟通
Marley是条精力旺盛的狗,喜欢和人互动。
We've never left him before, but we are sure he'll behave...
behave: 表现,举止
我们从没离开它过,但我们肯定,
just as he does when we're at home.
它的表现会和平时一样。
There are just a few things about Marley you're gonna need to know.
关于Marley你只需要知道下面几点。
He eats three times a day.
它一日三餐。
If he looks starved, feed him again.
starved: 饥饿的
如果它看上去饿了,你就加一餐。
Now, of course, all of this food is gonna have to go somewhere...
当然,食物都得排出来。
So use the blue pooper scooper, and watch your step.
pooper scooper: 狗粪铲
所以你就用蓝色的铲子,小心你的脚下。
Don't worry about the color. He likes mangoes.
别担心便便的颜色,它太喜欢吃芒果了。
Marley is not allowed to drink out of the toilet...
我们不允许Marley喝马桶里的水。
so be sure to keep the lid closed...
lid: 盖子
所以记得把盖子盖上,
And the brick on the lid.
brick: 砖头
再放块砖上去。
You know, actually, you might want...
你知道吗?其实你也可以,
to just keep the bathroom door shut in general.
in general: 总体上,直接地
直接把卫生间的门关上。
Like most dogs, Marley needs a lot of exercise...
exercise: 锻炼
像大多狗一样Marley需要很多锻炼。
So try to take him for a walk or a run,
试着每天早晚带它出去,
Every morning and every evening.
散步或是跑步。
-Debby: Marley, let go!
Marley,放开。
Let go. Let go. Let go. Aaah! Marley, no!
放开,放开,放开!Marley,不行!
-Jenny: And be sure to lock the doors and windows before you go to sleep.
你睡觉之前记住关好门窗。
Shoo! Shoo!
去!去!
But don't worry. Marley is an excellent watchdog.
excellent: 优秀的,完美的 watchdog: 看门狗
但别担心,Marley是条很好的看家狗。
You can rest easy at night knowing he's on the job.
你晚上知道它在履行职责后,一定很容易入睡。
Thunderstorms are his weak point.
thunderstorm: 雷雨 weak point: 弱点
雷雨是他最害怕的东西。
You can give him sedatives if you think a storm is arriving.
sedative: 镇静剂 storm: 雷雨,暴雨
你如果觉得雷雨快来了,你可以给他吃镇定剂。
-Debby: Okay. Here you go. Marley. Marley, come back here.
好吧,来吧,Marley,过来。
-Jenny: He doesn't like them, so push them down his throat as far as they go.
push down: 迫使,向下按 throat: 喉咙 as far as: 直到……为止
他不喜欢吃,所以就直接塞进他嘴里吧。
-Mrs. Butterly: Welcome. Welcome. I'm Mrs. Butterly.
欢迎,欢迎,我是Butterly太太。
-Jenny: Now finally, we do not allow Marley,
最后,我们不允许Marley,
to get up on any piece of furniture...
furniture: 家具
上任何家具。
chew on anything except his toys.
toy: 玩具 chew: 咀嚼
或者撕咬除了他玩具以外的任何东西。
Other than that, enjoy him.
没什么别的了。享受和它在一起的日子吧。
Love, Jenny and John.
爱你的Jenny和John。
-Mrs. Butterly: We serve tea every day at 4:00, and dinner at 6:00 sharp.
我们每天4点准时送茶,六点整准时开晚饭。
Oh, and these blankets are woolen. Good heat in them.
woolen: 羊毛的
毯子是羊毛的,很保暖。
-Jenny: So-So they're electric?
electric: 电的
是电热毯?
-Mrs. Butterly: Oh, not in this house.
这房子没有。
My brother died in a fire, God rest his soul.
soul: 灵魂
我哥哥死于火灾,上帝让他安息吧。
In this room, actually.
他就在这间房里死的。
Oh, not to worry. It's been re-papered.
paper: 贴壁纸,用纸糊
哦,别担心。我们重新贴了墙纸的。
Well, good night to ya both.
晚安啦。
And God bless you.
bless: 保佑
上帝保佑你们。
-Jenny: God bless.
上帝保佑。
-John: Thank you. Bless you.
谢谢,保佑你。
-Jenny: That was just weird.
weird: 怪异的
这真奇怪。
Oh, gosh.
啊,天啊。
Honey, I know that we haven't had sex since…You know.
亲爱的,我知道我们已经很久没做爱了。
But I don't think we're breaking that streak tonight.
streak: 条理,倾向
但我觉得今天可能也不行。
-John: No, no. I don't…
不,不,我不……
I don't want to break the streak here.
streak: 条理,纹理
我不想在这里做。
This doesn't feel I mean, I think I could...
这感觉根本不能……
you know, handle God watching, and his mother, but…
handle: 应付,处理
我能忍受被上帝和他母亲盯着,但是……
But not, not this little porcelain pontiff right here.
porcelain: 瓷器的 pontiff: 主教
但这个瓷器教皇我忍受不了。
It's July, and I think I can see my breath.
现在是7月份诶,我都能看到我呼出的气了。
-Jenny: Honey, I can't feel my toes.
亲爱的,我的脚都麻了。
-John: That's not good.
那可不好。
I wanna check on that.
我来看看。
-Jenny: Oh, good God, shush.
天啊,嘘。
-John: It's not the bed. It's the shrieks of oversexed souls in hell.
shriek: 尖叫 oversexed: 纵欲
这不是床的声音,这是地狱里的纵欲狂的尖叫。
-Jenny: Don't you want to join them?
你不想加入他们么?
-John: Really?
真的?
-Jenny: mm-hmm.
嗯。
-John: We don't have to.
我们没必要的。
-Jenny: I know, but the idea that it hasn't happened here in 50 years is just…
我知道。但这里50年都没有过了……
It's kind of turning me on.
这让我很有欲望。
-John: Honey, I missed you.
亲爱的,我想死你了。
-Jenny: Marley! Hi, honey.
Marley,嗨,亲爱的。
-John: Marley.
Marley。
-Jenny: Ohh.
噢。
-John: Come here.
来这儿。
-Jenny: We missed you so much.
我们太想你了。
-John: Hey, Debby.
嘿,Debby。
-Debby: There were 11 thunderstorms while you were gone.
thunderstorm: 暴雨,雷雨
你们走的这段时间这里有11场雷雨。
Eleven. And you were right. He doesn't like thunderstorms.
11场!而且你们说对了,他不喜欢雷雨。
-Jenny: Wow. Okay. Yeah. Eleven. That's a lot of thunderstorms.
哇,好了。11场,这确实太多了。
-Debby: Oh, and just so you know, I am a dog person, but that's not a dog.
而且,告诉你吧,我确实喜欢狗,但那简直不是狗。
That is evil with a dog face that is humping my leg,
hump: 扑,拱
他是一个魔鬼装成狗的样子,总是抱着我的腿,
and peeing on your carpet.
carpet: 地毯
然后在地毯上小便。
-John: Marley.
Marley!
-Jenny: Marley, stop that.
Marley,别这样。
-John: Marley, come on. It's just thunder. No barking.
bark: 吠叫
Marley,得了吧,只是打雷而已啊,别叫了。
Marley, come on. It's just thunder.
Marley,来吧,只是打雷。
Marley, come on.
Marley,好了。
-John: Jenny? Can you help me out here? I got 20 minutes to file this column, and I gotta- Jenny?
help…out: 帮助某人解决困难 column: 专栏 gotta: <美俚>have got to
Jenny?你能来帮帮我吗?再过20分钟我就得交这专栏了,而且我... Jenny?
-Jenny: Ah, the luck of the Irish.
爱尔兰的好运。
-John: What? Whoa.
什么?哇!
-Jenny: Wow. Whoo. Aah. Ooh. Oh, God. John? Honey. John. John, wake up.
哇!噢,天哪! John?亲爱的,醒醒。
-John: Yeah?
怎么了?
-Jenny: It's time. ...comfortable. Okay, but, Ooh. God!
时间到了。很舒服。好吧,噢!天啊!
-John: You all right? You all right? You okay? No, it's okay. I'm not gonna hurt her. Try not to scream, 'cause I don't want him to kill me.
gonna: <美俚>going to scream: 尖叫,大笑 'cause: because 因为
你还好吗?你还好吗?没事,没事,我不会伤到她的。试试别叫出来,因为我不想让他杀了我。
-Jenny: You remembered to install the car seat this weekend? They won't let us take the baby home.
install: 安装,安置
你这星期记得在车上装婴儿座位了吗?他们不会让我们把孩子带回家的。
-John: Right. I wouldn't forget that.
记住了的,我不会忘的。
-Jenny: I know that. I'm sorry.
我知道,抱歉。
-John: You got that?
你能行吗?
-Jenny: I got it. I got it.
能行,能行。
-John: Yeah, come on, Marley. Help me out here. You can chew through drywall, Marley. This is nothing for you. Good. Yeah.
chew: 咀嚼,细想 drywall: 干砌石墙
来,Marley,来帮帮我。你去咬墙壁吧,Marley。这不是你的玩具。好了。嗯。
You're gonna stay here. This bone will keep you busy now. Hopefully, no thunderstorms. And I'm off like-
gonna: go to hopefully: 希望 thunderstorm: 雷暴雨
你呆在这里吧。忙着咬你这根骨头吧。但愿别下雷雨了,我得走了。
-John: Who's your daddy? Come here. Here's the thing.
你爸爸是谁?过来。有个问题。
In about two minutes we're gonna bring home the baby... and you'd be doing me a really big favor if you didn't freak out.
freak out:: 震惊,大惊失色
大约两分钟以后我们就得把那孩子带回家了……你要是不抓狂的话,就是帮我大忙了。
And I'm gonna try to do the same.
gonna: go to
我也会像以前一样疼你。
-John: Are you ready?
你准备好了吗?
-Jenny: I'm ready. Yes. Hi. Come here. Hi, baby. Oh, hi. Hi, sweetie. Hi, Marley. Oh, come on. Come here. Okay. Marley.
我准备好了。嗯。来,到这里来。你好啊,宝贝。你好啊。嗨,Marley,来。到这儿来,好吧。
-John: Whoa, whoa, whoa. It would be a bummer if you ate the baby.
bummer: 令人失望(或不愉快)的局面
Marley,你要是把那小孩吃了就不好了。
-Jenny: Mmm. Mmm.
嗯,嗯。
-John: Shh. Just, uh.
嘘。你就...
-Jenny: Marley, this is Patrick.
Marley,这是Patrick。
-John: Not to be confused with a chew toy. Although it may look like one.
confused: 困惑的 chew: 咀嚼
别把他和你的磨牙玩具弄混。虽然他看上去是很像玩具。
-Jenny: Say hi. See, honey? He's not eating the baby. Very good.
打招呼吧,看,亲爱的,他不会吃这孩子的。很好。
-Jenny: Yeah. No, I have a quote for it right here.
quote: 引用,转述
是啊,不,我这里就能看到这句话的原文啊。
Well, have Legal call them again and get a release for it. They told me it was on the record. I don't …
legal: 法律的,合法的 release: 释放 record: 记录
你让法律顾问给他们打个电话,叫他们放行。他们跟我说有这个记录的。我不……
Patrick? Honey, be careful with those toys. You know Marley gets …
Patrick?亲爱的,小心你的玩具,Marley可能会……
No, Carla, I'm not talking to you. Will you just call them and get a release? I-I-I'll call you right back. Call you right back.
没有,Carla,我不是跟你说。你能不能直接打电话让他们放行?我,我一会儿给你回电话,一会儿就打回来。
-John: Those days are over for us, amigo. We had a good run though.
amigo: 朋友
那些日子已经离我们很远了,伙计。不过我们刚刚跑得也很愉快嘛。
-John: Come on, Marley.
来,Marley。
-Jenny: I know this is gonna sound crazy... but what's that thing called when you owe money on a house? It starts with an "M."
owe: 欠钱
我知道这听上去会很疯狂……但用房子去贷款的专用名词叫什么来着?叫抵什么的?
-John: Mortgage.
mortgage: 抵押
抵押贷款。
-Jenny: Mortgage. Wow. Is it possible to be this tired?
抵押贷款。天啊!我怎么可能累成这种样子?
-John: You know what? I'm gonna get up with him tonight.
gonna: <美俚>got to
你知道吗?今天晚上我起床来照看他。
-Jenny: No, you won't. You don't hear him.
你才不会呢。你听不到他哭。
-John: Yeah. You're right.
也是,你说得对。
-Jenny: I don't know... why.
但我不知道……为什么。
-John: I'm just a blessedly sound sleeper.
blessedly: 受祝福的 sleeper: 枕木
我总是睡得很沉。
-Jenny: Honey, I do have to go into the office tomorrow though. Will you watch him then for me?
亲爱的,我明天倒确实得去上班。你能帮我照看他一下吗?
-John: It'll be my pleasure. How long are we talking about?
我很乐意的。要照看多久?
-Jenny: I don't know. It's not quite what you expected, huh?
我不知道。这和你期待的不太一样,是吧?
-John: I don't know what I expected. I never thought Marley would seem like the easy one.
我也不知道我期待的是什么。我倒从来没想到还有比Marley更难对付的东西。
-Jenny: I know. I know, but you know what? We adjusted to him, and we'll adjust to the baby.
adjust: 调整,使……适于
我知道。是啊,但你知道吗?我们最后也习惯了,Marley嘛,我们会习惯这孩子的。
-John: I'm just trying to remember us from before.
我只是在试着回想以前的我们。
-Jenny: You mean those, younger?
你是说我们更年轻的时候?
-John: Yeah.
是啊。
-Jenny: Sexier, better-looking people?
我们更性感更漂亮的时候。
-John: Yeah.
是啊。
-Jenny: I remember them. I remember them vaguely.
vaguely: 含糊地
我记得的。我还模糊的记得。
-John: I miss them.
我好想念那些日子。
-Jenny: Mmm. They're here. They're just really tired.
嗯。他们还在。他们并没有离去。只是,我们不常想起罢了。
-Marley: Mmm?
嗯?
-John: What? Now you're jealous?
jealous: 嫉妒的
怎么?现在你嫉妒啦?
-John: Stay here. Call the police.
呆在这里。打电话报警吧。
-Jenny: Okay.
好。
-John: Hey, hey, hey. Are you all right? What happened?
嘿,嘿,你还好吗?发生了什么?
-Lisa: He told me not to scream or he'd stab me, but I screamed. But I screamed.
stab: 刺,戳
那人叫我别喊,不然就用刀刺我,但我还是叫了。我还是喊了。
-John: Okay, now, just sit down. Just sit down.
好,现在,先坐下来。先坐下来。
-Lisa: And he stabbed me.
然后他就用刀捅我。
-John: It's all right. That's okay. Hold on. Where's your mother?
没事的,没事,坚持住。你妈妈在哪儿?
-Lisa: At work.
还在上班。
-John: It's okay. It's not that bad. Keep your hand placed right here. Okay. Now, I called the police.
没事的,没你想象的那么糟,就把你的手放在这儿。现在好了,我已经报警了。
Everything's gonna be okay. You know, in all the time I've lived here, I've never gotten your name.
一切都会好起来的。你知道吗?我们当了这么久的邻居,我还不知道你叫什么。
-Lisa: Lisa.
Lisa。
-John: Okay- I'm gonna sit right here, Lisa. You're gonna keep your hands placed there... and we're gonna wait for the police to get here.
好吧,我就坐在这里,Lisa。你就把手放在这儿,我们等警察来。
And they're gonna take care of this. All right? Okay? Look at me. It's all right. It's all right.
他们会处理好一切的。好吧?看着我,没事的。没事。
-Man: Safest neighborhood?
neighborhood: 附近
最安全的地方?
-Frank Bennett: In terms of crime, I'd say you're looking at Boca.
crime: 犯罪
就犯罪率而言,应该是博卡最安全。
-John: Boca?
博卡?
-Frank Bennett: Mmm
嗯。
-John: I was afraid you were gonna say that.
我就害怕你会说是那里。
-Frank Bennett: That's the way it is, John.
事情就是这样的,John。
-John: Okay. Thanks.
好吧,谢谢了。
-John: Boca. Not so bad. You got kids playing in the street. I don't know. What do you guys think? We might live here one day... if we can afford it.
afford: 供应得起
博卡,没那么糟。那里还有小孩们在街道上玩呢。我不知道。你们觉得怎样?我们有一天可能会住在这里……如果我们买得起的话。
-John: Here we go. I got you right there. Stay. Marley, no. Marley. Marley.
来吧。我抱住你了。呆着,Marley,不行。Marley,Marley。
-Seller: And don't you love this kitchen? And look at the state-of-the-art appliances. My favorite part the pool.
kitchen: 厨房 state-of-the-art: 最新式的,使用最先进技术的 appliances: 电器用品
难道你不喜欢这厨房吗?再看看这些想艺术品一样的设施。这个游泳池是我最喜欢的东西。
It's- Um, why don't we look over here?
它……恩,我们来这边看看吧。
-John: Can I get a brochure?
brochure: 小册子
我能拿份宣传册吗?
-Seller: Uh, sure.
当然!
-John: Looks nice.
看上去不错啊。
-John: Whose dog is that?
那是谁的狗?
-John: Jenny? Honey? Jen? Hey, you okay?
Jenny?亲爱的?Jen?你还好吗?
-Jenny: Yeah. No, I'm good. Where have you guys been?
没事,我很好,你去哪里啦?
-John: I wanna show you something.
wanna: want to,想要
我想给你看点东西。
-Jenny: What?
什么?
-John: It's a house. Now, it's a little pricey... but I think we can do it.
pricey: 昂贵的
是一栋房子。现在,有一点贵……但我觉得我们付得起。
-Jenny: Boca?
博卡?
-John: I know, I know. But I talked to Frank Bennett on the Metro desk and he says it's the safest neighborhood.
我知道,我知道。但我在地铁台跟Frank Bennett谈了谈,他说这是最安全的社区。
-Jenny: John, I'm just not sure now is the right time.
John,我不知道现在时机对不对。
-John: Jen, when do you think is the right time, after one of us gets stabbed in the driveway?
stab: 刺,戳 driveway: 车道
Jen,你觉得什么时候时机才对?等我们在街上被到捅了以后?
-Jenny: John.
John。
-John: Honey, it's cramped in here. Remember, this was supposed to be a three-year house.
cramped: 狭促的,拥挤的
亲爱的,这里好挤啊。记住,我们本来只打算在这里呆三年的。
-Jenny: I know. I know that. I just don't think we can afford to buy a new one.
我知道。我知道。我只是觉得我们可能买不起新房子了。
-John: I know, but, honey, we can. With both our salaries
salary: 工资
我知道,但亲爱的,用我们两人的工资就买的起。
-Jenny: Honey, I'm pregnant.
pregnant: 怀孕的
亲爱的,我怀孕了。
-John: Really? Are you sure?
真的?你确定吗?
-Jenny: Come here. Pretty sure.
来,很确定。
-John: Four for four. Wow.
四个都说明有了。哇。
-Jenny: Hold on.
等等。
-John: That's great.
这很棒啊。
-Jenny: Mm-hmm.
嗯嗯。
-John: Congratulations.
恭喜了!
-Jenny: Uh-huh. Come here.
嗯,来这儿。
-John: I mean, to both of us.
我是说,恭喜我们两个。
-Jenny: Oh. Oh, yes. Oh, you're such a good boy.
噢,好了好了。你是个好孩子。
-John: Another baby.
又一个孩子。
-Jenny: I know. Honey, I think I have to quit my job.
quit: 辞职
我知道,亲爱的,我可能得把工作辞了。
-John: You don't have to do that. We can get some help. I don't want any help. I really don't. I just don't-Will you hand me that pacifier?
pacifier: 橡皮奶嘴
你不需要的。我们可以请个保姆。我不想那样。真的不想。我不想,你能把那个奶嘴给我下吗?
-John: Yeah.
好。
-Jenny: I just don't want to be one of those people... that sees their child for an hour at night. I don't.
我只是不想成为那种……每天晚上只陪孩子一个小时的人。我不想。
-John: I know, but you love your work and…
我知道,但你很爱你的工作。
-Jenny: I love my work, honey. But this is killing me.
我确实喜欢我的工作,亲爱的。但是这很折磨人。
When I'm at the office, I just wanna be here. And when I'm here, I am constantly thinking about work.
wanna: <美俚>want to constantly: 不断地,经常地
我人在办公室的时候,心在这里。人在这里的时候,又会不停地想工作上的事。
And I just know that I'm doing both jobs half-halfway.
halfway: 不彻底地,半途而废地
我知道我这样会两头都顾不好的。
-John: Well, you're not doing them halfway.
你没有两头都顾不好啊。
-Jenny: If I have to give up something... I do not-I do not want to give up this.
如果我非得放弃一样的话……我不想放弃这个。
-Arnie: Why should I give you a raise? Give me one good reason.
raise: 上升,增高
我为什么要给你涨工资?给我一个好理由。
-John: 'Cause I'm doing a good job.
'cause: because,因为
因为我工作干得不错啊。
-Arnie: Is that a question?
这是个问句么?
-John: No. Since I took over the column, the readerships doubled.
took over: 接手 column: 专栏 readership: 读者们
不是,自从我接手这个专栏以来,读者翻了一翻。
-Arnie: So you are doing a good job.
所以你确实干得不错。
-John: Yes, if you go by circulation and popularity.
circulation: 发行量 popularity: 普及,流行
嗯,如果就销量来说得话。
-Arnie: Okay. Why not make it permanent?
permanent: 永久的,持久的
好吧。把这专栏永久固定下来吧。
-John: What do you mean, like forever?
就是永不取消?
-Arnie: Yeah, that's what permanent means. John, every bozo out there would like to have their own column.
bozo: 傻瓜,笨蛋
对,就是这意思。John,那外面所有家伙都想要自己的专栏。
Everybody in that entire room. And you've taken the column and you've turned it into something fresh.
entire: 整个的 fresh: 新鲜的
这房间里的所有人都是。你接手了这专栏又给我们带了很多新鲜的东西。
I know you don't want to hear it, but you're a really good columnist. Why you hesitating?
columnist: 专栏作家 hesitate: 犹豫
我知道你不爱听这话,但你是个很好的专栏作家。还犹豫什么呢?
-John: I just have this idea about myself, you know, as a reporter.
我只是一直把自己想成一个记者,你知道的。
-Arnie: Well, sometimes life comes up with a better idea. I'll tell you what. You take on a daily column, I will double your salary.
我跟你说吧,有时生活是出乎意料的。你接这个每日专栏,我把你的工资加倍。
“I'm so happy”
“我真快乐”
“'Cause today I found my friends”
“因为今天我找到了我的朋友”
“They're in my head”
“他们在我的头脑里停留”
“I'm so ugly”
“我很丑”
“That's okay 'cause so are you”
“这没关系因为你也一样”
“Broke our mirrors”
“摔掉我们的镜子”
“Sunday morning”
“周日早晨”
“Is every day for all I care”
“是我唯一在意的一天”
“And I'm not scared Light my candle “
scared: 害怕的 candle: 蜡烛
“我并不害怕,我点燃蜡烛”
“In a daze 'cause I found God”
“睁大双眼我见到上帝”
-John: I'll start you off with some corn flakes. Most important meal.
flake: 小片,薄片
我先给你吃点玉米片,这是一天中最重要的。
No. Marley. Most important meal of the day. There. Take a little.
不行,Marley。一天中最重要的一餐。来,吃一点。
-Jenny: John, please, just take him for a second. I gotta shower. I gotta go.
John,麻烦你抱一下。我得去冲澡。我得走了。
-John: It happens every time.
每次都是这样。
-Jenny: Well, you gotta spend more time with them.
你得多跟他们呆会儿。
-John: Down! Marley. Here we go. Oh, oh, oh.
下去!Marley。就这样。噢,噢。
-Jenny: I'll do it. I'll do it.
我来,我来。
-John: No, no, I got it. It's fine. You say spend more time with him, and I do it...
没事,我能行。你说我得和他多呆会儿,但每次我来干时……
and then you wanna take over 'cause you say I'm not doing it right.
你又来接手,说我干得不对。
-Jenny: I don't want you changing him when you're mad.
我不想让你在生气的时候给他换尿布。
-John: I'm not mad! I'm…
我没生气!我……
-Jenny: Thank you. Come on. Hi, baby. Hang on, honey. I know, baby. I know. I know.
谢谢。来。嘿,宝贝。等等,亲爱的。我知道,宝贝,我知道。
Oh, dear. Come on. Come on. What? What's the matter?
噢,亲爱的。来,来,怎么了?怎么了?
What do you need, baby? What is it? Do you want some food? Food? Yeah? No. Okay.
你想要什么?宝贝,要什么?想吃东西吗?吃东西?是吗?不是,好吧。
-John: He's just colicky, Jen. He'll grow out of it.
colicky: 疝气痛的
他只是爱哭,Jen,长大就好了。
-Jenny: Here's an idea. Why don't you stay home and I'll go to work while he grows out of it. Sorry. I'm tired. Just go. Just go.
那干脆这样。等他长大了,你就呆在家里,我去上班。对不起,我只是累了。你去吧,去吧。
-Arnie: It's postpartum depression. Their hormones go on tit... and they get depressed.
postpartum depression: 产后抑郁症 hormones: 荷尔蒙 depressed: 沮丧
那是产后抑郁症,他们的荷尔蒙跑到乳头上去了……然后她们就容易抑郁。
I remember after my fourth kid was born, I'd wake up in the middle of the night sometimes...
我记得我第四个孩子出生以后,我有时半夜醒来……
my wife would be there staring at me... with a meat cleaver in her hand.
stare: 盯,凝视 cleaver: 切肉刀
我妻子就在旁边瞪着我……手上拿把菜刀。
I thought she was gonna kill me. I still do. Did you get her the gift?
gonna: <美俚>going to gift: 礼物
我当时以为她要杀了我。现在我也还这么想。你给她买礼物了吗?
-John: Yeah.
嗯。
-Arnie: That usually works.
其实那招挺好使。
-Arnie: Okay, Janice, make him look pretty. He's gonna have this picture next to his byline for the next 20 years.
byline: (报刊文章的)署名行
好了Janice,把他照漂亮点。他这张照片在20年里都要出现在标题旁边了。
-Jenny: Patrick, honey, please stop doing that. You're gonna make him sick. Just eat it, okay?
Patrick,亲爱的,别这样。你要把他弄生病的。你就吃下去吧,好吗?
-John: Careful, Patrick. Remember what we did to Marley when he didn't listen.
小心点,Patrick。还记得Marley不听话的时候我们怎么对付它的吗?
-Jenny: Honey, you know what else? We really have to pick out a color fabric... for the curtains in the boys' room.
fabric: 织物,布 curtain: 窗帘
亲爱的,你知道吗?我们真的得给男孩们房间的窗帘选个颜色了。
-John: Okay, well, whatever you want. And then…
好吧,随便你选,然后……
-Jenny: I'd really like your help deciding.
decide: 决定
我真的想要你帮我决定。
-John: No. Let me get him.
别,让我去照顾他。
-Jenny: Thank you. Marley, just…
谢谢!Marley,你就……
-Jenny: Marley, bad dog! Marley! Marley, stop it! Marley, let go! Let go. Marley. Marley. Marley!
Marley,坏狗!Marley!Marley!停下来!Marley!我们走!Marley,Marley。Marley!
Marley, get back here! Get back here! Marley, bad dog! Marley, get back here! Marley! Marley,回来!回来!Marley,坏狗!Marley,回来!Marley!
See, we were supposed to return these, and now we have to pay for them.
be supposed to: 应该
看,我们本来应该把这些还回去的,现在我们得付钱买了。
-John: That's okay.
没事。
-Jenny: No, it's not okay! How many times have I told you not to leave anything edible where he can get it?
edible: 可食用的
怎么没事!我要跟你讲多少遍,不要把可以吃的东西放在他能拿到的地方?
-John: I know, but you wouldn't exactly say this is edible.
我知道,但你不会觉得这是可以吃的吧。
-Jenny: John, you know what I mean. You also said you would get up early and walk him. He chews things when he gets restless.
John,你知道我是什么意思的。你还说你会早起,然后去遛狗的。他精力过旺的时候就会乱咬东西。
-John: I am gonna walk him. I just woke up.
我会去遛狗啊,但我才醒。
-Jenny: You know what? Forget it!
知道吗?算了!
I'm gonna do it myself. Forget it!
我自己去遛吧。算了!
-John: You don't have to.
你不必这样的。
-Jenny: Yes, I'm doing it myself.
我自己去遛。
-John: You don't get it. She's gonna kill you. You've got to take it easy. We're both hanging by a thread.
thread: 线,纤维
你不明白,她会杀了你的。你得平和点,我们都是岌岌可危呢。
-Sebastian: So who gets the dog if you guys split up?
split up: 分开,分离
你们俩要是离婚的话,谁要那条狗?
-John: We're not splitting up.
我们不会离婚的。
-Sebastian: Out of the realm of possibility?
out of the realm of possibility: 超出可能范围
没有可能?
-John: Completely.
completely: 完全地,彻底地
完全不可能。
-Sebastian: There's nothing she can do? No tantrum too big? No depression too deep?
tantrum: 发脾气,发怒 deep: 深的
无论她做什么?无论她脾气多坏?无论她多郁闷?
No failure to perform wifely duties that would push you over the edge?
perform: 执行,做 wifely: 像妻的,适于做妻子的 push: 逼迫
多不尽妻子的职责,你都不会被逼到崩溃边缘么?
-John: Why do you jump right to splitting up? Come on, buddy. Mend it, don't end it.
你怎么直接就想着离婚呢?得了吧,伙计,解决问题,而不是放弃。
-Sebastian: So life is better with Jenny than without her?
那么说,有了Jenny你的生活更好过?
-John: Yes. What is…Are you wearing a wire? Jen, are you listening to this. Jenny, yes, we had a fight, but I still love you.
wire: 电线,电报,金属丝
是啊,你怎么……你是带了个窃听器还是怎么?Jen,你在听吗?Jenny,我们是吵了一架,但我还是爱你的。
Come on, buddy. I had a fight with my wife. Let me just sulk.
buddy: 伙计 sulk: 生闷气
伙计,我就是跟我老婆吵了一架,发发牢骚而已。
-Sebastian: I just wanna know if you're really happy. Oh, wait. There she is.
我只是想知道你是不是真的快乐。噢,等等,她在哪里呢?
-John: Who?
谁?
-Sebastian: Give me the kid.
把孩子给我。
-John: No, I can't be a party to this. That's…That's shameless.
party: 政党 shameless: 无耻的
我才不当你的共犯呢。这真无耻。
-Sebastian: This is gonna be even better than the puppy.
puppy: 小狗
这比小狗更管用。
-John: No, not my son.
不,别拿我儿子当诱饵啊。
-Jenny: Marley, no. Please, please, Marley. Please. Marley!
Marley,不行,得了,求你了,Marley。
Marley, what are you- Marley, God, look at Stop it! Why do you do this? Why do you ruin everything? Go on!
ruin: 毁坏
Marley!Marley,你在干啥啊。Marley,天啊。看,别叫了!你为什么这样?你为什么要毁掉一切啊?继续!
Patrick! Are you okay? I'm sorry.
Patrick,你还好吗?真抱歉。
-Jenny: Get that dog out of here. I want that dog out of here right now.
把那条狗弄走。我现在就要你把它带走。
-John: Ok, I'll take him for a walk.
好吧,我带他去遛。
-Jenney: I'm not kidding. No, you take him to that farm.
我没开玩笑。你把他带回农场去。
-John: All right, buddy, looks like we're going to the farm again.
好了伙计,看上去我们得回农场了。
-Jenny: I'm serious. I'm not kidding. I can't take this anymore.
serious: 认真的,严肃的
我是认真的。我没开玩笑。我不想再这样了。
-John: What did he do?
他干什么了啊?
-Jenny: Everything! What hasn't he done? He's just a horrible, horrible animal.
horrible: 可怕地,令人讨厌的
一切!他什么没干过啊?他就是一个糟糕的可怕的动物。
-John: Well, that's a little unfair.
unfair: 不公平的
这可有点不公平。
-Jenny: No, what's unfair... is that Conor hasn't slept in two weeks because of that dog's barking...
slept: 睡 barking: 吠,狗叫声
不,你知道啥叫不公平吗?Conor就因为这狗叫,已经连续两个星期没睡好了。
that Patrick gets knocked down twice a day... that I can't even think straight. God forbid there's a hint of thunder. Just don't!
knock down: 撞到 forbid: 禁止,不准 hints: 暗示,提示 thunder: 雷电
Patrick每天都至少要被撞倒2次……我都没法思考问题了。更别提打雷的时候。别挡我!
-John: Just calm down for a second. I know that it's been a rough couple of months with the new baby and everything.
calm down: 冷静,平静
你冷静一下,我知道这一两个月照顾小孩什么的很辛苦。
I understand that. But I was talking with Arnie. And postpartum dep…
postpartum: 产后的
我理解。但跟Arnie谈了他说产后抑郁……
-Jenny: Don't you dare.
dare: 敢
你敢说那个词。
-Jenny: I am not depressed. I am exhausted. I'm not angry because of some condition. depressed: 沮丧的 exhausted: 筋疲力尽的,疲惫不堪的
我没有抑郁,我只是累死了。我不是因为某种病才变得这么生气的。
I can't even go out for an hour without the kids... because every babysitter in this neighborhood is terrified of Marley.
babysitter: 临时保姆 terrified: 恐惧的,受惊吓的
这些孩子让我完全脱不开身……因为这片区所有的保姆都怕Marley。
-John: I know that, but you were the one that said you didn't wanna work anymore. We can get help.
我知道,但是你自己说你不想工作了的。我们可以找人来帮忙。
-Jenny: I don't need any help!
我不需要帮忙!
-John: That makes it hard.
这可就困难了。
-Jenny: Just get rid of the dog!
get rid of: 摆脱,丢弃,扔掉
你就把那狗带走就行!
-John: That's not gonna happen obviously.
obviously: 显然的
这明显不可能。
-Jenny: Please keep your voice down.
你小声点。
-John: Me keep my voice down?
我小声点?
-Jenny: Just do it. Just get rid of the dog! Everybody gets rid of their dogs. It's just a dog.
你去吧。把狗弄走!大家都把狗送走的。不过是条狗而已。
-John: And I'm just a husband. You gonna get rid of me when I misbehave?
misbehave: 行为无礼貌,行为不端
是啊,我也不过是个丈夫而已。我要是做错了什么你也要摆脱我吧?
-Jenny: I've thought about it.
我是这么想过。
-John: Well, that makes two of us.
好吧,那就不止我一个人这么想了。
-Jenny: What do you have to complain about?
complain: 抱怨,控诉
你有什么好抱怨的?
-John: What do I…Because you're such a joy to be around?
我……因为跟你在一起很愉快?
-Jenny: You're such a jerk.
jerk: 笨蛋
你真是个白痴。
-John: So nice to walk in the door, feel like you're joining a chain gang.
chain gang: 苦役犯,囚犯
你以为一进家门就看到个苦役,这感觉很好么?
-Jenny: Just a jerk!
白痴!
-John: Stop it! It's your fault.
别弄了! 都是你的错。
-Sebastian: You gotta be kidding me?
你在开玩笑吧?
-John: Nope. Just for a couple of days till things cool down at home.
cool down: 平静下来
没。就帮我养一两天,等我家里问题解决了就行。
-Sebastian: A couple days will be all right.
一两天倒没问题。
-John: You guys know each other. You'll be comfortable.
comfortable: 舒适的
你们两个认识的。相处会愉快的。
-Sebastian: Want a beer?
喝啤酒吗?
-John: No, I'm fine. Thanks. Are you moving?
不用了,谢谢。你要搬家了?
-Sebastian: Yeah.
是啊。
-John: Where?
搬到哪里?
-Sebastian: New York. The Gray Lady came a-courting.
纽约。Gray女士想要我去。
-John: The Times offered you a permanent job?
纽约时报给你永久性职位了?
-Sebastian: I gave Arnie my notice last week.
notice: 通知
我上星期就通知Arnie了。
-John: You didn't say anything.
你怎么不告诉我。
-Sebastian: I know. I'm sorry. I just It all happened so fast, I'm not even used to the idea yet.
我知道,抱歉。一切都发生得太快了,我现在都还像是在做梦一样。
-John: That's great. The New York Times. It's what we always dreamed of. Well, congratulations. I mean, you deserve it.
deserve: 应该得到
这太好了。纽约时报。这是我们永远的梦想啊。恭喜你了。我是说,这是你应得的。
-Sebastian: Yeah.
是啊。
-John: Thanks for looking after Marley.
谢谢你照看Marley。
-Sebastian: Yeah.
嗯。
-John: He's eating your briefcase right now.
briefcase: 公文包
他在啃你的公文包。
-Sebastian: Shit! Marley. Marley, no. Two days, John. I'm serious.
他妈的!Marley,Marley,不行。只帮你看两天,John,我说真的。
-John: Sorry.
不好意思。
-John: Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you.
抱歉,我不想吵醒你的。
-Jenny: I wasn't, uh, sleeping. Where's Marley?
呃,我本来就没睡着。Marley呢?
-John: Sebastian's gonna watch him for a few days.
Sebastian会照顾他几天。
-Jenny: Mm-hmm. I'd love to see that.
嗯,我太乐意听到这个消息了。
-John: Just until I can find a more permanent home.
然后我会再给他找个稳固的家。
-Jenny: This is his permanent home, John.
这里就是他稳固的家,John。
-John: Mmm.
嗯。
-Jenny: Marley's not going anywhere. Honey, I'm sorry. I just got overwhelmed. No one tells you how hard this is all gonna be.
overwhelmed: 压垮,应接不暇
Marley哪里都不用去。亲爱的,抱歉。我只是累坏了。没人能告诉你这些有多难。
-John: Which part?
什么地方最难?
-Jenny: All of it: Marriage, being a parent. It's the hardest job in the world and nobody prepares you for that.
都很难。结婚,当妈妈。这是世上最难的工作,而且没办法提前做准备。
Nobody tells you how much you have to give up.
没人告诉你你得放弃多少。
-John: I feel like they do tell you, but you don't listen... or you think, "Ah, they're just miserable."
miserable: 悲惨的,痛苦的
我觉得他们都告诉你了,只是你不听……你只是想,“他们太可怜了。”
-Jenny: I've given up so much of what made me who I am. But I can't say that because... I'm a very bad person if I say that.
我放弃了很多能证明我自己价值的东西。但我不能抱怨,因为如果我抱怨,我就成了个坏人。
But I feel it. I really do. I feel it sometimes. I just…I just want you to know that.
但我真的是这么想的,真的。我有时会这么想。我只是……只是想让你知道。
-John: I do know that. And you can say it. I say it.
我知道的。而且你可以抱怨,我也是。
-Jenny: But I did make a choice. I made a choice, and even if it's harder than I thought... I don't regret it.
但我确实做出了选择。我做出了选择,而且尽管这比我想象的要难……我也从不后悔。
-John: Are you sure?
你确定?
-Jenny: I am very sure.
很确定。
-John: 'Cause it kinda has like a "there's no place like home" feeling to it.
因为这感觉像是在说“世上只有家最好。”
-Jenny: I just think these things are gonna happen and we're gonna get through them. And we'll just do it together.
get through: 渡过难关
我只是觉得,发生这些事都很正常,我们能度过难关的。我们得风雨同舟。
-John: Together.
风雨同舟。
-Jenny: Getting rid of Marley is not gonna fix anything.
fix: 修理,把……固定
把Marley送人不能解决问题。
-John: No.
是啊。
-Jenny: And getting rid of you isn't gonna fix anything either.
摆脱掉你也不能解决问题。
-John: Can I ask you a favor?
我能拜托你件事吗?
-Jenny: Yes.
说吧。
-John: No more kids for a while.
暂时别再要孩子了。
-Jenny: Absolutely. Deal.
deal: 交易
当然。行!
-Jenny: Hi, guys. All right, say hello to Colleen.
大家好啊。跟Colleen打个招呼。
-Conor: Daddy says her name is Whoops.
老爸说她叫“哎哟”。
-John: No, I…Patrick said that.
没有,我……那是Patrick说的。
-Jenny: What? Why did you say that?
什么?你为什么这么说啊?
-John: I was just kidding around. It was kind of a secret, guys.
我只是在开玩笑。这本来是个秘密的,伙计们。
-Jenny: Over here.
到这边来。
-John: The old pro moves back. He looks for a little separation. Gets an assist from Colleen.
pro: 能手 assist: 协助
专业球手又回来了。他在突破封堵。得到了Colleen的助攻。
-Patrick: Nice shot, Dad!
好球,老爸!
-John: Nice shot? Come on. Conor?
好球? 来吧,Conor?
-Conor: Extraordinary.
extraordinary: 非常的,特别的,惊人的
太棒了。
-John: Yeah. Again. Wait. Let me get this. I'll be back.
嗯,再来一个。等等。我去接电话,一会儿回来。
-Jenny: All right.
好吧。
-John: The knees are shot. Hello?
拍个膝盖以上的镜头吧。喂?
-Gil Lawford: John Grogan?
你是JohnGrogan吗?
-John: Yes, it is.
是的。
-Gil Lawford: Gil Lawford from the Philadelphia Inquirer.
inquirer: 调查者
我是费城调查者报社的Gil Lawford。
-John: Uh, yeah, yeah. Hi. How are you? Thanks for getting back to me.
哦,嗯。你最近怎样?谢谢你回我电话。
-Jenny: Oh! Hey, who was that on the phone?
噢,刚刚是谁打电话?
-John: The Philadelphia Inquirer. I sent the editor some clips a while back and he wants to meet.
editor: 编辑
费城调查者报的。前不久我给他们的总编寄了点东西,他想见我。
-Jenny: What's a while back?
前段时间是多久?
-John: He was down here on vacation a month ago. And he read my stuff. And we kind of had lunch.
他一个月以前来这里度假。他读了我写的东西。然后我们基本算是共进了午餐。
-Jenny: How do you kind of have lunch?
什么叫基本算是共进午餐?
-John: I didn't think anything was gonna come of it.
我当时没觉得会有什么回音的。
-Jenny: Okay. But?
好吧。但是?
-John: They offered me a job. I mean, I have an interview.
interview: 面试
他让我去他那干。我是说,我拿到了一个面试。
-Jenny: As, like, a columnist or.
columnist: 专栏作家
去当专栏作家还是什么?
-John: As a reporter.
去当记者。
-Jenny: As a reporter? Well, what did you say?
当记者?那你怎么说的?
-John: I said, "Thank you very much, but I'm happy here.”
我说“谢谢你,但我喜欢我现在的生活。”
-Arnie: Never have I heard someone piss and moan as much as John Grogan. If he doesn't like it here, he should move.
moan: 抱怨,呻吟
我从来没见过像JohnGrogan这么怨声载道的人。如果他不喜欢这里,那他应该搬家。
-John: That's part of my job is to get a response. I'm glad to see a little blood flowing from these people.
response: 反应,回答
得到读者的回复是我工作的一部分。我很高兴听到读者里有不同的声音。
-Arnie: No. There's a recurring theme here.
recur: 返回,再现 theme: 题目,主题
不。这已经是主流的声音了。
-John: Recurring theme is we got a lot of cranks in Broward County. That's what I'm up against.
crank: 脾气坏的,容易恼怒的人
主流的问题是布莱德城有很多暴躁的人。这也就是我反对的。
-Arnie: But what I'm trying to say, with all due respect... is that you are one of them!
但我想说的就是,无意冒犯……其实你也是他们之一!
-John: I'm a commentator. Everyone wants me to act... like everything's great, when there are issues.
commentator: 解说员,评论员
我是个评论员。人们都想让我在事情一团糟时……装成万事大吉的样子。
There's overcrowding, there's crime, there's racial tensions.
overcrowding: 过度拥挤 crime: 犯罪 racial tensions: 种族歧视
但这里确实人口过密,犯罪严重,种族歧视。
Every time you turn around there's a new sky rise going up even uglier than the one.
而且你一转身就能看见。又一栋更丑的大楼拔地而起。
-Arnie: Come on. That goes on all over the world. It's not Florida. It's you. What's wrong?
少来,这是全世界都有的问题。不怪佛罗里达,怪你,有什么问题?
-John: Nothing's wrong. Everyone wants to think, Oh, he's turning 40. He's become a curmudgeon. That's not it.
curmudgeon: 难以取悦的人,脾气坏的人
没怎么,每个人都想。噢,他四十了,变成糟老头子了,但并不是这样。
Maybe…I don't know. Maybe I'm sick of my column. I don't find the things I'm saying that interesting.
be sick of: 厌倦
可能……我不知道。可能我厌倦这专栏了。我也不觉得我写得东西很有趣。
-Arnie: John. John, you're the comic voice of south Florida. You're a national treasure, for God's sakes.
comic: 有趣的,滑稽的 national treasure: 国宝
John,John,你是南佛罗里达的幽默之星啊。天啊,你是个国宝。
-John: Maybe a regional treasure.
regional: 地区的,局部的
可能是个“州宝”。
-Arnie: Well, a municipal treasure for sure.
municipal: 市的,市政的
至少是个“市宝”。
-John: Thank you.
谢谢。
-Arnie: Listen. Take a vacation. Go away for a couple weeks. Take a month off.
听着,去度假,在别的地方呆几周。休息一个月。
-John: Go where?
去哪里?
-Arnie: I don't know.
我不知道。
-John: I live in a vacation spot.
spot: 景点
我就住在度假胜地里。
-Arnie: Then go to someplace where it's painful and sad.
painful: 痛苦的
那就去点让人悲痛难过的地方。
-John: Oh, 40's gonna be tough, buddy. I'm not gonna lie to you.
噢,40岁真的不容易,我跟你说真话。
But we knew that. We knew this was when Father Time was gonna make his move.
但我们知道。我们从当父亲那天就知道了。
Try to take us down a dark alley and beat the hell out of us.
alley: 小路,小巷
时间把我们带进黑巷子又暴打我们一顿。
You got a little whiter around the temple... but make you look more distinguished, I think.
distinguished: 卓著的
你脑门比原来白了……我觉得这让你更特别。
We both lost a step. I know. How does it feel to have your best years behind you?
我们都输了一步棋。我知道。你知道你的大好时光已经过了时怎么办?
You do everything you wanted to? No, me neither.
想干啥干啥?不是?我也不是。
All right. You hot? You wanna cool off? Let's do it. You know what? Not today. You've been on a leash a little too long.
leash: 皮带
好吧,你热吗?你想要凉快凉快嘛?我们走吧。今天算了。你被栓太久了。
Go! Go! I think he got a little bit of a second wind.
去吧!去吧!我觉得他好像迎来第二次青春了。
-Man: Go get it!
去拿来!
“Happiness more or less”
“快乐或多或少”
“It's just a change in me something in my liberty”
“是我自由的改变”
“Oh, my, my”
“啊,天啊”
“Happiness, coming and going”
“幸福,来来去去”
“I watch you look at me Watch my fever growing”
“我看你看着我,感受我激情燃烧”
“I know just where I am”
“我知道我在哪”
“Well, I'm a lucky man”
“我是个幸运儿”
“With fire in my hands”
“手上的火在燃烧”
-Woman: Hey, get your dog!
嘿,管好你的狗!
-John: What? No! No! Please, God, no! No! No! No! No. Come on! Come here. Come here. That's okay.
什么?不要!不要!求你了,天啊!别!别!别!得了吧!过来,过来,没事的。
-Man: Dude, that was not cool. Come on, girl. Let's go.
dude: 伙计
伙计,这可不好。来吧,我们走。
-John: Great.
这下可好。
-people: Let's go.
我们走。
-John: Man, you are the world's worst dog. You know that? Right?
伙计,你真是世上最糟的狗。你也知道的,对吧?
You were top five going into the day... and with this little stunt, you moved into number one. And I take my hat off to you.
你本来只是前五的……今天你耍了这点把戏,就直奔第一宝座了。我对你行脱帽礼。
-Friends: Surprise! Happy birthday to you .Happy birthday, dear John .Happy birthday to you Happy birthday.
惊喜!祝你生日快乐。祝John生日快乐。祝你生日快乐。生日快乐。
-John: You can help me. Hold on. Hold on. On three. One, two, three.
你们帮我吹吧,等我数到三啊,一,二,三。
-John: But don't beg, Marley. It's not good. 'Cause we don't have to.
别像乞丐似的,Marley。那不好,因为没那必要。
-Jenny: Tell me the truth. Were you surprised?
说真话,你吃惊吗?
-John: Completely. Yes. Thank you.
非常吃惊。谢谢你。
-Jenny: Really?
真的?
-John: I was. You guys got me.
你们真的给了我个惊喜。
-Jenny: We got you! Are you ready for your birthday present?
present: 礼物
我们办到了!你准备好看你的生日礼物了吗?
-John: There's more? I don't need any other presents.
还有生日礼物?我不需要什么别的了。
-Jenny: Happy birthday.
生日快乐。
-John: What was that?
那是什么啊?
-Jenny: That was my blessing to take that job in Philadelphia.
blessing: 祝福
那是我对你去费城干新工作的祝福。
-John: That was months ago. I'm not thinking about that.
那已近是好几个月以前的事了,我都没想了。
-Jenny: Well, then any other job. We'll follow you wherever you wanna go.
那就随便找个别的工作。你去哪里我都跟你走。
-John: I understand. But I'm not gonna do that. I'm not gonna uproot us.
uproot: 连根拔起,彻底消灭
我理解。但我不想那样,我不想折腾得底朝天的。
We got our friends. The kids enjoy school. And I got my poker game. I couldn't possibly.
我们有朋友在这里。孩子们也上学了。我也能玩我的小游戏。我怎么可能……
-Jenny: First of all, it's just an interview. You don't have the job yet. And second of all, honey, you don't have any friends.
首先,那只是个面试,你还没拿到那工作。第二,亲爱的,你没什么朋友。
-John: That's right. I was wondering, who were all those strangers tonight?
那倒确实。我也纳闷,今晚那些陌生人是谁啊?
-Jenny: I hired them.
hire: 雇用
我雇他们来的。
-John: What I'm trying to say... is our life is here and I'm okay with that.
我想说的是……我们的生活扎根在这里了,我也很满足。
-Jenny: Our life is wherever we are. That's it. And you're not happy here.
我们在哪里,我们的生活就在哪里。就是这样。而且你在这里并不开心。
-John: That's not true.
这可不是真的。
-Jenny: You're not happy doing that column. You're restless and I can feel it.
restless: 不安宁的,焦虑的
你并不喜欢写那专栏。你焦躁不安,我能感觉到。
-John: I'm not I'm not.
我没有,我没有。
-Jenny: I feel it every day that you read Sebastian's articles.
我知道你天天读Sebastian的文章。
I feel it every time you sit an extra five minutes in your car in the driveway before you come in.
我知道你每天都会在车上多呆五分钟才进来。
-John: I don't do that.
我才没有。
-Jenny: Yes, you do.
你有。
-John: I'm checking on things in the car.
checking: 核校,检查
我只是在检查车子。
-Jenny: I just think it's time for a change.
我只是觉得该是改变的时候了。
-John: I'm 40, Jen. Maybe at 39, but I'm tooI don't know. It feels a little late to be making big changes.
我40了,Jen。可能39岁改变还行,但现在,我不知道。我感觉现在改变有点晚了。
-Jenny: No. No, no, no, no. Uh-uh-uh-uh. No.
不不不。嗯嗯,不。
-John: What are you doing?
你在干嘛?
-Jenny: We're not old, John. We can still surprise ourselves.
我们可没有老,John。我们还能出乎自己意料的。
-John: See, most girls would do a swan dive, but you know a cannonball is so much sexier.
cannonball: 炮弹
大多女孩都喜欢燕式跳水,但你知道炸弹式性感多了。
-Jenny: So you ready for your other birthday present or what?
你准备好接受你另一样生日礼物了吗?
-John: Yes. It's like an embarrassment of riches, this birthday. They just keep coming. It's like Hanukkah.
embarrassment: 困难,阻碍,困窘 Hanukkah: 光明节(犹太纪念节日之一)
嗯。这次生日真是让我应接不暇。礼物一个接一个,就像是光明节一样。
-Jenny: See, we're not old.
看吧,我们没有老。
-Arnie: Grogan! Just wanna wish you good luck up there.
Grogan!只是想祝你在那边一切好运。
-John: Thanks. Yeah. It'll be good. I'm gonna miss everybody. I'm gonna miss your laugh.
谢谢,那边会很棒,我会想念大家。想念你的笑声的。
-Arnie: Yeah. There was a good chance that every piece of advice I ever gave you was a lot of crap.
crap: 废话
是啊,很有可能我给你提的建议都是垃圾。
-John: No, no, no. I appreciate it just the same.
appreciate: 欣赏,感激
不,不,不,我很感激你的建议。
-Arnie: Well, at this point... a mushy guy would tell you he's proud of you, give you a hug and send you on your way.
mushy: 多愁善感的
通常在这时候……那些感伤的人都会说他为你骄傲,然后给你个拥抱,然后送你走。
-John: Well, I'm glad you're not that guy, sir.
呃,我很高兴你不是那样的人,先生。
-Arnie: All right. Okay. Grogan, just for the record, you surprised the hell out of me.
好吧。Grogan,顺便告诉你,你确实很出乎我的意料。
-John: That's my specialty.
specialty: 特别,特长
这是我的特长。
“Walking down”
“走下去”
“By the river”
“沿着河”
“Water running”
“水静静的流”
“Through my knees”
“滑过我的膝盖”
“Oh, mighty river”
“啊万能的河流”
“I would love to be like you”
“我真想如你一般”
-Conor: Are we here yet?
我们到了吗?
-John: No.
没。
-Conor: Now?
现在呢?
-John: We got a couple hours to go.
还有几个小时呢。
-Conor: Now?
现在呢?
-John: Soak it up.
得了吧。
-Conor: Now? Are we here yet?
现在呢?到了吗?
-John: Must be near it.
已经快了。
-Conor: Are we getting hot or cold? Why are we turning into here?
我们去的地方是冷还是热?为什么在这里转弯?
-Jenny: We're living here.
我们住这里。
-Conor: Whoa!
哇!
-John: I want a moment of silence just to take this in. Okay? Before the pandemonium. Look at this. Here we go.
pandemonium: 喧哗吵闹
我想要安静得感受一下。好吗?在你们开始闹腾之前,看看这个。就这样了。
-Jenny: Come on. We're here.
来吧,我们到了。
-John: Marley! Marley, no! Marley! Marley! Marley!
Marley!Marley,不行!Marley!Marley!Marley!
-Children: Oh, nice.
好极了。
-John: And we're home.
我们算是到家了。
-Colleague: Hey, Andy Rooney, if you're knocking off soon, I'll walk with you to the train.
嘿,Andy Rooney,你要是弄完了,我就和你一起去火车站。
-John: Okay, I'm ready. Put an exclamation point here.
exclamation: 惊呼词,惊呼
好吧,我弄好了。最后打个感叹号。
-Colleague: Mark Twain said not to use exclamation points 'cause it's like laughing at your own joke...
Mark Twain说,别用感叹号,那就像在为自己的笑话发笑。
-John: But sometimes you gotta laugh at your own joke 'cause it's funny.
但有时是得为自己的笑话发笑,因为它很有趣。
-Children: It's here! It's here! It's here! It's here! It's here! It's here! It's here! It's here! It's here! Come on. Come on!
下雪了!下雪了!下雪了!下雪了!下雪了!下雪了!下雪了!起来,起来!
Over here! It's here! It's here! Come on! Marley! Come on. Look it! No, Marley!
来这边!下雪了!下雪了1来,Marley!来看看!别,Marley!
-John: Remember, angels can fly, so you gotta get the wings up high. Yeah. Now that one's coming.
记住,天使们会飞,所以你们得把翅膀抬高些。嗯,就是这样。
-Jenny: Lunch is ready!
午饭好了!
-John: Okay! Heading in. Let's go. Take that! Marley!
好!进屋了,我们走。带好东西,Marley!
-Jenny: Come on, guys.
伙计们来。
-John: Marley, come on. Marley.
Marley,来,Marley。
-Jenny: You know what, honey? Let him be. He's happy.
亲爱的,就让他在那吧,他开心着呢。
-John: Thank you.
谢谢。
-John: What are you doing in here? You going for the bunk bed tonight?
bunk: 床铺,铺位
你在这里干嘛?你今天要睡双层床?
Pretty good day. I mean, the snow. Come on. All right. Sleep tight.
今天玩得很棒吧?下雪啊什么的,来吧。这样也行,好梦。
-John: Too much color?
个人色彩太浓了?
-Editor: Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's a good piece, but you're reporting now, John,是啊。你别误解,这文章很好。但你是在报告新闻,John。
I want you to tell the story. I don't want you to be in the story.
我想让你讲这故事,不想让你融进故事里去。
-John: I'm pretty sure I don't mention myself in there
我很确定我没有在文章里提到自己啊。
-Editor: The point is...I still feel you in there. And all I'm saying is less you and more facts.
我的意思是我还是能感觉到你的思想。我想说的是,少写个人思想多写事实。
-John: Got it.
明白了。
-Editor: Door's always open.
门总是开着的。
-John: Thanks.
谢谢。
-Conor: Hut!
接着!
-John: Uh-oh. Here comes the old pro. He shows up for the fourth quarter.
pro: 能手
啊,专业球手又来啦,他在第四节出场。
Yeah. Oh, yes! He catches it. He fends off one guy. He's running through.
啊,太好了!他拿到球,挡开了对手。
He's shaking tackles left and right. They can't take him down. He's got too much.
tackle: 装备,用具,前锋
他跑过来,左右躲开袭击。他们敌不过他,他太强了。
Oh! Grogan goes down! Down goes Grogan.
Grogan被推倒啦!Grogan被推倒啦!
-Jenny: You're home early.
你今天回来得真早啊。
-John: That's right. I had to come home and teach these kids how to play football the right way. Okay.
是啊,我得回来教孩子们,怎么玩橄榄球?好吧。
-Jenny: Okay, guys, seriously, dinner's in an hour.
seriously: 认真地,严肃地 dinner: 晚餐
伙计们,说真的,晚饭再过一小时就好了。
-John: Okay.
好。
-Jenny: I want you to finish your homework and take off those shoes before you come in the house.
你们快去把作业做完,进屋前要脱鞋。
-Colleen: Yeah, take off your shoes!
对,把鞋脱了!
-John: Okay. Got him down. Got him down. Got him down. Got him down.
好。他被推倒了。他被推倒了。他被推倒了。
Ow. My God. I come home and it's like I got mugged. Okay. Come on.
mug: 行凶抢劫,打劫
噢。天哪!我回家来,感觉像是被抢劫了一样。好吧。来吧。
-Conor: What's wrong with him, Dad?
他怎么了,老爸?
-Patrick: Nothing's wrong. He's just... tired. Right, Dad?
没怎么,他只是累了,对吧?
-John: Yeah. The football took it out of him. Let's go.
是啊。玩橄榄球把他累坏了。我们走。
-Jenny: I don't know. I just don't understand. A year ago, you couldn't wait to be done with your column.
column: 专栏
我不知道,我真的不明白。一年之前,你还恨不得马上结束你的专栏。
-John: I know. But now I got this guy going through every sentence with a fine-tooth comb.
fine-tooth comb: 仔细检查
我知道,但我现在这个编辑对我的每一句话都毛求疵。
I gotta admit, sometimes I miss the freedom where I could just- What?
gotta: <美俚>have got to admit: 承认
我不得不承认,有时我真想念以前那种自由。怎么?
-Jenny: It's just It's exhausting sometimes, John. You always wanting something that you don't have.
exhausting: 令人疲倦的
你真是很折腾人,John。你总是想要那些你没有的东西。
-John: Are you happy? I mean, none of this was part of the plan.
你现在快乐吗?我是说,这些都不是计划中的吧。
-Jenny: No. No, it wasn't part of the plan. But it's so much better. I'm just sort of done making plans.
不是,确实不是计划中的。但这比计划好多了。我不想再定计划了。
-Conor: Marley! Oh, gross.
gross: 令人恶心的,令人不快的
Marley!真恶心。
-Jenny: Hmm, seems like somebody needs to go out. Whoo!
看上去有人得出去遛遛了,呼!
-John: All right. Marley. Come on. Come on, boy. Oh, come on. Now it's really coming down.
好吧,Marley。来吧,来吧,伙计。噢,可恶,真的开始下雨了。
Marley? Marley? Where'd he go? Marley?
Marley?Marley?他去哪里了?Marley?
-Jenny: What's going on?
发生什么了?
-John: I don't know. He's not coming back.
我不知道,他没回来。
-Jenny: Marley?
Marley?
-John: Well, he couldn't have gone far. Marley?
他不可能走远的。Marley?
-Jenny: I'll come with you. Hold on.
我跟你一起去,等等。
-John: Marley? I don't know where he could have gone.
Marley?我不知道他会去哪里。
-Jenny: Marley? Well, maybe he went next door again in the barn.
barn: 谷仓
Marley?呃,可能他又去隔壁的谷仓了。
-John: I'll check in the woodshed.
woodshed: 堆放柴薪的木棚,柴间
我去看看那木堆里。
-Jenny: Okay.
好吧。
-John: Marley?
Marley?
-Jenny: Marley? Marley? Oh, Marley.
Marley?Marley?Marley。
-John: Did you see anything?
你看到什么了没?
-Jenny: No, nothing. I gotta go talk to them.
没,什么都没看到。我得回去跟他们说说了。
-John: Okay.
好吧。
-Jenny: Wow, it's pouring out there.
哇,这雨真大。
-Conor: Did you find him?
你找到他了吗?
-Jenny: You know what? He's out exploring. You know how he loves the woods.
exploring: 探索的,探测的 woods: 树林
你知道吗?他出去探索了。你知道他有多喜欢森林。
-Patrick: Bobby says dogs, when they're gonna die, they go away to do it. That's what his beagle did.
beagle: 小猎兔犬
Bobby说,狗要死的时候就会跑到别处去。他的那只猎兔犬就这样的。
-Jenny: Mmm. Well, you know, that's true for beagles. But, uh, not Labs like Marley. He's just out causing trouble. Don't worry.
嗯,你知道吗,猎兔犬确实是那样的。但像Marley这样的拉布拉多就不是。他只是出去捣蛋去了,别担心。
Okay, now, you finished with your homework?
好了,现在,你们做完作业没没?
-Conor: Yep.
做完了。
-Patrick: Nope.
没。
-Jenny: Nope? Well, let's make that a "yep." Come on now.
没做完?那咱就把它做完。现在就来。
-John: Marley! Marley! Marley! Marley. Marley. Ah, Marley. You okay? Stay there.
Marley!Marley!Marley!Marley,Marley。啊,Marley,你还好吗?别动。
-Dr. Platt: Why did his stomach twist? We don't exactly know why this happens.
stomach: 胃 twist: 扭曲
他的胃怎么会?我们也不知道具体为什么。
Most likely he ate or drank something quickly and his stomach just flipped.
flip: 使快速翻转
可能是因为他吃东西太快,胃就痉挛了。
I did manage to get a tube down there to relieve some of the gas. I think I untwisted it.
tube: 管,软管
我倒是插了跟管子进去,放了点气。我想他的胃又正常了。
-John: He seems okay.
他看上去还行。
-Dr. Platt: For now, he's good. The problem is that once this happens, it almost always happens again.
他现在还不错。问题是,得了这种病,一般都会复发。
And if it does, I don't know what I'm gonna be able to do for him.
如果这样的话,我不知道下次我还能不能救活它。
He's an older dog. I honestly don't think he would survive the surgery.
survive: 生存,生还 surgery: 外科手术
它年纪挺大了。我确实觉得他挺不住手术。
-John: Well, we have to make sure that doesn't happen again.
那我们就确保他的病不复发吧。
-Dr. Platt: Well, most likely, it is gonna happen again.
绝大多数情况,都会复发的。
-John: Well, we also talked about that maybe he ate too fast or drank too quickly.
我们刚刚说,这病可能是他吃喝太快造成的。
-Dr. Platt: Right.
对。
-John: So maybe it doesn't have to happen again. We'll monitor that.
monitor: 监视,监督
那我也许能让那不再发生。我们会监控他的。
-Dr. Platt: I'm just saying you may wanna prepare yourself that he may not make it through the night.
我只想说,你可能要做好最坏的打算,他不一定能活过今晚。
Maybe 10% of dogs survive this kind of a thing.
大概有10%的狗,得了这种病还能活下去。
-John: What-What is that number based on?
这个数据是基于什么得到的啊?
-Dr. Platt: What is it based on?
基于什么?
-John: Yeah, the reason why I ask... is I bet that number's based on regular dogs.
regular: 一般的,普通的
是啊,我问这个是因为我觉得这数据是对于普通狗而言的。
-Dr. Platt: Regular dogs?
普通狗?
-John: Yeah, and this guy here is not like other dogs.
是啊,这家伙可不像别的狗。
I know people probably say that all the time, but to be honest... I'm not sure he really is a dog.
我知道,很多人都这么说,但说实话,我都不知道他是不是只狗。
He once ate an answering machine. Just polished it off. He didn't chew it. He ate it. And then digested it.
chew: 咀嚼 digest: 消化
他有一次吃了一个答录机,然后又排了出来。他没有咀嚼直接吃进去,还消化了。
Then went and had the phone for dessert. Another time, my son had colic and this guy sat up all night, didn't move...
colic: (尤指婴儿)急性腹痛
还把电话当甜点。还有一次,我儿子肚子痛,这家伙守了一夜一动不动……
just stayed right there for nine hours just keeping an eye on Conor.
就在那里端坐了9个小时,照看Conor。
So I think maybe that the number applies to regular dogs. But not to him.
apply: 应用,适于
所以我觉得可能那个数据只适用于普通的狗,不适用于他。
-Dr. Platt: Well, you got a fighter here. Let's hope for the best.
fighter: 斗士,战士
那么,你有一只战斗犬啦。我们祈祷最好的结果吧。
-John: I know he's gonna be okay. I'll see you in the morning.
gonna: going to
我知道他不会有事的。我们早上见吧。
-Jenny: Oh, hi.
噢,嗨。
-John: Hey.
嘿。
-John: They're gonna-They're gonna keep him overnight. But he seemed better when I left. The vet really seemed on top of it.
他们要...他们让它在那呆一夜。但我走的时候他看上去好多了。看上去那医生能搞定的。
-Jenny: Are you okay?
你还好吧?
-John: Yeah. What are you reading?
嗯,你在看什么啊?
-Jenny: I'm reading your old columns. Marley's in so many of them.
我在读你以前的专栏。好多篇里都提到了Marley。
-John: You still look at those?
你还看那些的?
-Jenny: Yeah, I do sometimes.
是啊,有时看。
-Jenny: Even on the crappiest days- the kids are driving me nuts, laundry's not done... laundry: 要洗的衣服
就算是在那些最糟糕的日子里,孩子们把我折腾得快疯掉,衣服总是洗不完……
and a hundred other things are wrong. I always know that I have this.
事事都不顺利的时候,但我知道我还有这些。
It's five minutes of you. Sometimes they're sad and sometimes they're really funny... silly or whatever, but they're all you.
就像进入你的世界5分钟。有时悲伤,有时又很有趣很傻,或是什么别的,但这就是你的世界。
And for those five minutes... you make me feel better.
而就在这五分钟里,你能让我感觉好起来。
You should read them. They're pretty great. Might even make a nice book.
你应该读读,写得挺好的。可能可以编成本好书。
-John: A book?
书?
-Jenny: Something.
类似那样的吧。
-John: Hello? All right. Thank you. He's coming home.
喂?好的,谢谢。他能回家了。
-Conor: Is he there?
他是在那里吗?
-Patrick: Of course he's there. He's always there.
他肯定在,他一直都在那儿。
-Conor: How does he know we're coming?
他怎么知道我们要来?
-Patrick: I don't know. He just knows. Dogs know stuff like that.
不知道,他总能猜到。狗狗们都有这本领。
-Conor: All dogs?
所有狗都是?
-Patrick: All good dogs.
所有好狗。
-Conor: Look, there he is! There he is! Marley.
看,他在那里呢!他在那里!Marley!
-Patrick: Yeah. Hi, Marley.
是啊。嘿,Marley。
-Conor: Marley.
Marley。
-Patrick: How you doin', Marley. I missed you at school.
你过得如何啊?Marley。我在学校想死你了。
-Conor: I'll race you to the house.
我和你比赛跑回家。
-Patrick: Okay. Go!
好吧,跑!
-John: Eagles?
eagle: 鹰
老鹰?
-Colleague: Yeah, the Eagles are going all the way.
是啊,老鹰队势头很旺啊。
-John: I guarantee you. What are you, a Dolphins fan?
guarantee: 保证,确保 dolphin: 海豚
我向你保证,怎么,你是海豚队的粉丝?
-Colleague: No.
不是。
-Sebastian: John Grogan!
JohnGrogan!
-John: Hey. I'll see you tomorrow.
嘿,咱们明天见。
-Colleague: All right, dude. See you tomorrow.
好吧,伙计,明天见。
-Sebastian: I said to myself, "That sorry son of a bitch looks like John Grogan.”
我刚自言自语说,那臭小子真像想JohnGrogan。
-John: What are you doing here?
你在这干嘛啊?
-Sebastian: Ah, story. D.A.'s showing off the new field office and…
show off: 炫耀 field office: 外勤人员
写稿子。检察官在炫耀新设的外地办事处而且……
You know what? It doesn't matter. Man, it is good to see you.
你知道吗?这可不重要,天啊,真高兴见到你。
-John: It's good to see you.
我也很高兴。
-Sebastian: Yeah. So you living in the city somewhere?
是啊。现在你住在这里啦?
-John: I live just outside of town. More space for the kids.
我就住在城郊。孩子们玩耍空间大点。
-Sebastian: What do you got, like five now?
有几个孩子啦,5个?
-John: Three. Here. Show you a little snapshot of the Grogan brood.
snapshot: 快照 brood: 一窝,一伙
三个啦,来,给你看看Grogan一家子。
-Sebastian: Wow, Jen's holding up.
哇,Jenny真能干。
-John: Yeah. Thanks, I think.
是啊。谢谢。
-Sebastian: I see you,you finally got a little girl, huh?
你终于有个女儿了哈。
-John: Colleen. She arrived after you left.
Colleen,你刚搬走不久她就出生了。
-Sebastian: What's with the ladybug getup?
ladybug: 瓢虫 getup: 服饰,样式
那个瓢虫头饰是什么玩意?
-John: That was for her school play in preschool. And then we couldn't get her out of her costume for, like, a month afterwards.
costume: 戏剧服装,服装
那是学前班演戏让带的。然后接下来一个月,她都非要穿那身戏服。
And the reason why Marley looks like he's biting her head... is because the antennas on the went ballistic.
antenna: 触角,天线 ballistic: 弹道的
Marley看上去像在咬她的头,是因为那头饰上的天线有弹性。
-Sebastian: Things don't change.
事情还是老样子啊。
-John: That's right.
是啊。
-Sebastian: I wish I didn't have this interview.
interview: 面谈,接见
我真希望我没有预约。
-John: That's okay. I gotta get home. Conor's got a soccer game.
Conor有一场足球赛呢。没关系啦,我也得回家了。
-Sebastian: All right. Well, one of these days we gotta catch up.
那好吧,改天我们得叙叙旧。
-John: Yeah, let's do that. We'll catch up one of these days.
好吧,改天咱叙叙旧。
-Sebastian: Well, it was, uh, good to see you.
呃,见到你真好。
-John: Come here. Good to see you.
来吧,见到你真高兴。
-Sebastian: Give Jenny my best, okay?
帮我问候一下Jenny,好吗?
-John: I will.
我会的。
-Sebastian: Oh, uh, here. Here.
噢,来,这个给你。
-John: Oh, yeah.
嗯。
-Sebastian: That's, uh-That's a great picture, John. You did okay.
这照片拍得不错,John。你混得不错。
-John: Thanks. You did okay too. I'll see ya.
谢谢。你也混得不错,再见拉。
-Sebastian: I'll see ya.
再见。
-Woman: I think you'll like the next one better.
你觉得你会更喜欢下一个的。
-Another woman: Really?
是吗?
-Sebastian: Don't do it to yourself. We're in Philly. Let's get a cheese steak. Hi. Sebastian. Nice to meet you.
cheese: 乳酪,干酪 steak: 牛排
别折磨自己了,这里是费城,去吃奶酪牛排吧。嗨。我叫Sebastian,很高兴见到你。
-Woman: Nice to meet you.
很高兴见到你。
-John: Hello? Is anybody home?
嗨?有人在家吗?
-John: Marley. Hey, Marley. Marley. Marley. Hey. Hey. Marley. Marley. Marley. You didn't hear me, did you?
Marley,嘿,Marley,Marley,Marley。嘿,嘿,Marley,Marley。你没听到我说话,对吧?
I just caught you in a senior moment there, Marley. All right, let's go for a walk. Come on. Let's go.
